|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter one, where do the Hungarian police send the Jews?
2. What is Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand?
3. In chapter 4, what does the foreman want Elie to do?
4. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
5. What is Birkenau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Jews conserve their food on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
2. What are Elie's feelings about his father's death?
3. To what does Elie compare rumors that bring hope to the prisoners?
4. Unknowingly, the Jews receive a warning from a passenger about what they will see when they depart the train at Birkenau. Who gives that warning, what is that warning, and how do the Jews react to it?
5. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
6. Describe the executions Elie witnesses in Birkenau.
7. In chapter 8, why does the SS officer treat Elie's father the way he does?
8. Explain what happens to Elie and his father at the selection process in chapter 6.
9. Who is the only victim of the air raid in chapter 5?
10. Explain Elie's "inner death."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name the characters other than the main character who are important to the story. Why is each character important? What do they represent in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Answer all parts.
1) Why did the author choose Night for the title of the book? Give examples from the book that explain the title.
2) Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not?
3) If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following story themes to write about. Write a definition of the theme you chose. Give examples from Night. Give examples from current events.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)