|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the cattle car is?
2. What is A-7713?
3. How does the foreman's respond to Elie's refusal?
4. Why is the dentist who didn't pull Elie's tooth arrested?
5. Who is the first person to be introduced in the book, Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elie tell the reader the fate of his mother and sister without going into detail?
2. Contrast the treatment the prisoners receive from the SS officers and the treatment by their prisoner in charge.
3. At the beginning of chapter 7, as they are transported to another concentration camp, what is Elie's attitude?
4. How does Elie feel about himself when he compares himself to other prisoners who have deserted or killed their fathers?
5. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
6. What do the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
7. What does Elie show about his spirit and the human spirit in general after his father dies?
8. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
9. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
10. Explain Elie's conflicting feelings about life and death after his father dies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer all parts.
1) Why did the author choose Night for the title of the book? Give examples from the book that explain the title.
2) Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not?
3) If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Name the characters other than the main character who are important to the story. Why is each character important? What do they represent in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Elie is the author and also the main character in Night. How would the story change if it was told from a different point of view? Choose another point of view from another character or an outside narrator. What would the reader learn from this narrator that is different from Elie as the narrator? Why?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)