|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the foreman's respond to Elie's refusal?
2. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
3. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
4. What does the author say the cattle car is?
5. In chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what are the occupants allowed to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
2. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
3. To what does Elie compare rumors that bring hope to the prisoners?
4. Why are the prisoners happy when the camp is bombed in chapter 5?
5. Unknowingly, the Jews receive a warning from a passenger about what they will see when they depart the train at Birkenau. Who gives that warning, what is that warning, and how do the Jews react to it?
6. What incident does Elie witness after the workman throws the bread to the prisoners?
7. Explain what happens to Elie and his father at the selection process in chapter 6.
8. Describe the relationship between Moshe the Beadle and Elie.
9. When the author states that a guard calls the prisoners swine, to what is he comparing the prisoners?
10. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Elie's relationship with his father change throughout Night?
Essay Topic 2
List the main events of Night. Could the order of the main events be changed, or could any main events be left out? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Although the book is filled with horrifying experiences, there are some instances of mercy. Describe three of these situations and what their purpose in the story is.
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)