|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
2. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
3. When Elie meets the woman who witnessed the event in Auschwitz while Elie was working after the war, what does she tell him?
4. How does Elie describe his train trip leaving Sighet?
5. What does Elie believe when he and his father are sent to the right after telling their ages to the officer at Birkenau?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does what Elie witnesses at the crematory at Birkenau affect him?
2. When the Jews are on the train being deported from Sighet, what do the two men who get water report about the "station" where the train is stopped?
3. What does Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year, cause Elie to think about?
4. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
5. Choose a minor character from the story. How does this character affect the main character? Did the author have to include this character in the story?
6. Contrast the treatment the prisoners receive from the SS officers and the treatment by their prisoner in charge.
7. Does Night have a happy ending?
8. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
9. What could happen to Elie if he falls asleep in the snow?
10. Describe the executions Elie witnesses in Birkenau.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about one of the following concepts as it relates to Night. Give examples from Night that explain your choice.
Essay Topic 2
Although the book is filled with horrifying experiences, there are some instances of mercy. Describe three of these situations and what their purpose in the story is.
Essay Topic 3
Name the characters other than the main character who are important to the story. Why is each character important? What do they represent in the story?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)