|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 3, what happens to the Jews at Birkenau once they leave the train?
2. At Birkenau, what does the fellow prisoner tell Elie and his father to do?
3. What is Auschwitz?
4. Who is the first person to be introduced in the book, Night?
5. After they are shown the chimney at Birkenau, what is the crowd's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the executions Elie witnesses in Birkenau.
2. How does Elie keep his father from being taken from the wagon in which they are being transported to the concentration camp?
3. When the author states that a guard calls the prisoners swine, to what is he comparing the prisoners?
4. In chapter 8, why does the SS officer treat Elie's father the way he does?
5. What does Elie show about his spirit and the human spirit in general after his father dies?
6. To what does Elie compare rumors that bring hope to the prisoners?
7. Choose a minor character from the story. How does this character affect the main character? Did the author have to include this character in the story?
8. Compare Moshe the Beadle (from chapter one) and Madame Schachter.
9. As they are transported to another concentration camp, how does Elie's attitude almost cause his father to die?
10. At the beginning of chapter 7, as they are transported to another concentration camp, what is Elie's attitude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What information or background should someone have before trying to read Night, so that he/she will understand it better? Explain how each item will help this person more fully grasp the themes in Night.
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature are
1) use of descriptive words;
2) use of analogies, metaphors and similes;
3) an attention-grabbing beginning;
5) appealing to the five senses.
Do you think Night is an example of quality literature? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Night, we learn a great deal about Elie. Answer all parts.
1) List four adjectives that describe Elie's personality. Include an example from the story for each adjective.
2) What is a value or belief that Elie has?
3) How does he act on this value or belief?
4) How does Elie change as the book progresses?
5) What causes Elie to change?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)