|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
2. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
3. Who is in charge of Elie, his father and the other prisoners in this prison block?
4. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
5. When Elie's father asks directions to the washroom, what happens to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Jews are on the train being deported from Sighet, what do the two men who get water report about the "station" where the train is stopped?
2. What do the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
3. How does life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrest the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
4. Why do the Jews conserve their food on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
5. Why are the prisoners happy when the camp is bombed in chapter 5?
6. Why is Elie's liberation from the concentration camp only a physical, not an emotional liberation?
7. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
8. Describe Elie's thoughts as he experiences life in the concentration camp.
9. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
10. In chapter 8, why does the SS officer treat Elie's father the way he does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer all parts.
1) What was Elie Wiesel's purpose in writing Night?
2) What message is the author trying to send?
3) What does the author want the reader to remember about the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Elie's relationship with his father change throughout Night?
Essay Topic 3
Name the characters other than the main character who are important to the story. Why is each character important? What do they represent in the story?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)