|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
2. In chapter 3, why does Elie's father ask directions to the washroom?
3. In particular, what do the occupants of the cattle car need?
4. When Elie is asked to report to the dentist, where is he coming from?
5. What is A-7713?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Moshe the Beadle (from chapter one) and Madame Schachter.
2. What are Elie's feelings about his father's death?
3. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
4. According to Moshe, what is the truth about what happened on the train trip on which he and other foreign Jews are deported?
5. How does the author compare humans and animals when describing the pots of soup?
6. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
7. Describe the relationship between Moshe the Beadle and Elie.
8. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
9. Explain what happens to Elie and his father at the selection process in chapter 6.
10. According to Elie, how can complacency be viewed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the following statement: Human nature wants to see beauty, not necessarily truth.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from the story that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a situation in the story in which Elie acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why did Elie act this way? What were the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Elie's reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Name the characters other than the main character who are important to the story. Why is each character important? What do they represent in the story?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)