|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response of the man looking for Wiesel of Sighet to Elie's news of his family?
2. What is A-7713?
3. In particular, what do the occupants of the cattle car need?
4. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
5. How do the Jews sleep the first night in the prison block at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were tears of joy shed by some prisoners inside the barracks?
2. When the author states that a guard calls the prisoners swine, to what is he comparing the prisoners?
3. One of Charles Darwin's evolutionary principles is survival of the fittest. How does this concept apply to life in the concentration camp?
4. How does Elie keep his father from being taken from the wagon in which they are being transported to the concentration camp?
5. Who is the only victim of the air raid in chapter 5?
6. At the beginning of chapter 3, what does the advice of the fellow prisoner provide for Elie and his father?
7. How does what Elie witnesses at the crematory at Birkenau affect him?
8. What is the musical expression described in chapter 6?
9. Do the occupants being deported from Sighet on the train choose to believe the report from the two men who get water--why or why not?
10. What do the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read the following two statements:
Adversity helps build faith and courage.
Adversity can destroy faith and courage.
1) Which statement do you agree with? Why?
2) Which statement would Elie agree with? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In Night, we learn a great deal about Elie. Answer all parts.
1) List four adjectives that describe Elie's personality. Include an example from the story for each adjective.
2) What is a value or belief that Elie has?
3) How does he act on this value or belief?
4) How does Elie change as the book progresses?
5) What causes Elie to change?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a situation in the story in which Elie acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why did Elie act this way? What were the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Elie's reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)