|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Madame Schachter traveled with whom in Chapter 2?
2. What did Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
3. What was the condition of the main synagogue when Wiesel's group reached it?
4. What were the conditions for the Jews on the train in Chapter 2?
5. When did Wiesel meet Moishe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Moshe escape being killed when he was deported?
2. What did Buna look like when Wiesel arrived in Chapter 4?
3. What happened to Moshe and his companions who were deported?
4. What happened when the Jews walked toward the station at the end of Chapter 1?
5. How did Wiesel describe Dr. Mengele?
6. Who was Madame Schachter?
7. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
8. In Chapter 4, where did Wiesel say that he again met a woman he had worked with in the concentration camp?
9. How were the prisoners escorted off the train cars at the end of Chapter 2?
10. How did life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrested the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Wiesel viewed his image in a mirror for the first time since his imprisonment. How does he describe himself? Why will he never forget the look in his eyes? Why is it significant that Wiesel refers to himself as a corpse? What does that symbolize to him?
Essay Topic 2
Wiesel and his father had a symbiotic relationship. What is a symbiotic relationship? In what way did the two of them provide support and nurture for one another? How did their symbiotic relationship benefit them as they suffered in the concentration camp? How did the relationship keep the two alive?
Essay Topic 3
Father/son relationships were tested in the concentration camps. What are some examples of father/son relationships that broke down in the concentration camps? How was Wiesel's relationship with his father tested? In what ways did Wiesel succeed at the temptations caused by the tests he endured? In what ways did he fail the tests he endured?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)