|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chimney represent for the prisoners?
2. Why does Elie get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
3. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
4. In chapter 3, why does Elie's father ask directions to the washroom?
5. How does Moshe's experience change him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
2. Describe Madame Schachter.
3. One of Charles Darwin's evolutionary principles is survival of the fittest. How does this concept apply to life in the concentration camp?
4. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
5. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
6. Why is Elie's liberation from the concentration camp only a physical, not an emotional liberation?
7. What incident does Elie witness after the workman throws the bread to the prisoners?
8. How does Elie keep his father from being taken from the wagon in which they are being transported to the concentration camp?
9. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
10. What are Elie's feelings about his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Elie is the author and also the main character in Night. How would the story change if it was told from a different point of view? Choose another point of view from another character or an outside narrator. What would the reader learn from this narrator that is different from Elie as the narrator? Why?
Essay Topic 2How does Elie's relationship with his father change throughout Night?
Essay Topic 3Explain the following statement: Human nature wants to see beauty, not necessarily truth. 1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? 2) Give examples from the story that prove or disprove this statement.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)