|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Moshe tell Weisel he escaped the Gestapo in 1944?
2. What happened to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip in Chapter 2?
3. In order to give themselves hope, what did Wiesel and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz in Chapter 3?
4. How old was Mrs. Schachter?
5. In Chapter 4, what was Wiesel's job in the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Moshe escape being killed when he was deported?
2. How did Moshe's experiences during the deportation change him?
3. How did Wiesel describe Dr. Mengele?
4. What were the conditions like on the train at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. What happened to men who appeared to be strong when the Wiesel and his father were assigned to a barracks in Chapter 3?
6. Who was Madame Schachter?
7. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
8. What happened when the Jews walked toward the station at the end of Chapter 1?
9. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what did the people of Sighet believe about the lives of the deportees?
10. How did the Jews on the train in Chapter 2 feel when they heard what the men who went to get water reported?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mood of the book does not change when the prisoners are liberated. How do the prisoners respond when they are freed? Does their emotional state change when they know they are free? Why are they still suffering, even though they are no longer prisoners? Why do the prisoners not show joy and elation at being rescued?
Essay Topic 2
Wiesel's faith changed while he was imprisoned. What was Wiesel's relationship with God at the beginning of the book? Why did he begin to grow bitter and resent God? How did the suffering Wiesel endured affect his faith? How did his relationship with God change?
Essay Topic 3
Moishe the Beadle was one of the first to be deported and escape from the Germans. What news did he have to share when he returned? Why was he so desperate to tell his story? What was his goal for talking to everyone about his experiences and what did he hope would result from his warnings? Why did he believe that "It's not what happens, but how we react to what happens"?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)