|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, when Wiesel was asked to report to the dentist, where was he coming from?
2. How did the people of Sighet regard Wiesel's father?
3. Where did Wiesel's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
4. Who is the first person to be introduced in the book, Night?
5. What did Wiesel's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did some of the passengers let go of their inhibitions in Chapter 2?
2. What happened when the Jews walked toward the station at the end of Chapter 1?
3. How did life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrested the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
4. How were the prisoners escorted off the train cars at the end of Chapter 2?
5. What did Buna look like when Wiesel arrived in Chapter 4?
6. In Chapter 4, where did Wiesel say that he again met a woman he had worked with in the concentration camp?
7. What happened to men who appeared to be strong when the Wiesel and his father were assigned to a barracks in Chapter 3?
8. What happened at the barrack where Wiesel and his father were taken in Chapter 3?
9. How did Weisel's attitude about food change in Chapter 3?
10. In Chapter 2 after arriving at the Auschwitz station, what did two men learn when they were sent to get water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moishe the Beadle was one of the first to be deported and escape from the Germans. What news did he have to share when he returned? Why was he so desperate to tell his story? What was his goal for talking to everyone about his experiences and what did he hope would result from his warnings? Why did he believe that "It's not what happens, but how we react to what happens"?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Wiesel viewed his image in a mirror for the first time since his imprisonment. How does he describe himself? Why will he never forget the look in his eyes? Why is it significant that Wiesel refers to himself as a corpse? What does that symbolize to him?
Essay Topic 3
The Germans used fire to get rid of prisoners. Why did the Germans see fire as a cleansing substance? How was fire used to destroy babies? Where was the place fire was used most frequently to kill prisoners? In what way does fire symbolize the anger of the Germans?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)