|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
2. Madame Schachter travels with whom?
3. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
4. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
5. After they are shown the chimney at Birkenau, what is the crowd's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Moshe, what is the truth about what happened on the train trip on which he and other foreign Jews are deported?
2. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
3. What happens to the prisoners when they first go into the barracks at Birkenau?
4. Elie's horrifying experiences in the concentration camp continue to shake which of his core beliefs?
5. One of Charles Darwin's evolutionary principles is survival of the fittest. How does this concept apply to life in the concentration camp?
6. How does the content of chapter 7 help explain the title of the book?
7. What are Elie's feelings about his father's death?
8. Choose a minor character from the story. How does this character affect the main character? Did the author have to include this character in the story?
9. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
10. Explain what happens to Elie and his father at the selection process in chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the book is filled with horrifying experiences, there are some instances of mercy. Describe three of these situations and what their purpose in the story is.
Essay Topic 2
The occupants of the concentration camps lost so much during their confinement. Give an example of something that could be taken for granted which is lost by the occupants while they are confined to the concentration camp. Discuss what it means to lose something that is usually taken for granted.
Essay Topic 3
How does Elie's relationship with his father change throughout Night?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)