|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
2. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
3. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
4. What is Auschwitz?
5. How does the foreman's respond to Elie's refusal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the musical expression described in chapter 6?
2. One of Charles Darwin's evolutionary principles is survival of the fittest. How does this concept apply to life in the concentration camp?
3. Describe the relationship between Moshe the Beadle and Elie.
4. Why do the Jews conserve their food on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
5. How does Elie tell the reader the fate of his mother and sister without going into detail?
6. Explain what happens to Elie and his father at the selection process in chapter 6.
7. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
8. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
9. At the beginning of chapter 7, as they are transported to another concentration camp, what is Elie's attitude?
10. Do the occupants being deported from Sighet on the train choose to believe the report from the two men who get water--why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read the following two statements:
Adversity helps build faith and courage.
Adversity can destroy faith and courage.
1) Which statement do you agree with? Why?
2) Which statement would Elie agree with? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Write about one of the following concepts as it relates to Night. Give examples from Night that explain your choice.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the mood or feeling created by the story as a whole. How is this mood or feeling created? Be sure to consider setting as part of your answer.
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)