Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
2. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
3. What does Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
4. Where does Elie's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
5. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
2. Do the occupants being deported from Sighet on the train choose to believe the report from the two men who get water--why or why not?
3. What could happen to Elie if he falls asleep in the snow?
4. Describe the executions Elie witnesses in Birkenau.
5. Elie's horrifying experiences in the concentration camp continue to shake which of his core beliefs?
6. How do the people of Sighet get the information about the Moshe and the other foreign Jews who were deported?
7. What are Elie's feelings about his father's death?
8. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
9. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
10. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
Essay Topic 1
In Night, the author describes laws which the Jews were required to follow. List four of these laws. How did these laws set the tone for deportation to and the Jews' subsequent treatment in the concentration camps?
Essay Topic 2
Read the following two statements:
Adversity helps build faith and courage.
Adversity can destroy faith and courage.
1) Which statement do you agree with? Why?
2) Which statement would Elie agree with? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the following statement: Human nature wants to see beauty, not necessarily truth.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from the story that prove or disprove this statement.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)