|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What troubling news did the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
2. After tiring of her screams, what did the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
3. As the train trip continued, what did Madame Schachter scream about in Chapter 2?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, who did Wiesel see wandering between the blocks?
5. How did the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the tent leader's aide want from Wiesel and what would he give in return in Chapter 4?
2. What happened to Moshe and his companions who were deported?
3. What were the conditions like on the train at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. How did a young woman pass as Aryan in Chapter 4?
5. What did a fellow prisoner advise Wiesel and his father in Chapter 3?
6. What did Weisel want to do in the spring of 1944?
7. How did Weisel's attitude about food change in Chapter 3?
8. What did the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in Chapter 2?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what did the Jews leave behind in the wagons?
10. In Chapter 3, what did an SS officer tell the prisoners about Auschwitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prior to deportation, laws were put into place to control the Jews. What were the first laws that were enacted? How did these laws limit personal freedoms for the Jews? How did these laws condition the Jews to accept deportation? How did the laws accustom the Jews to obedience? Did the Jews tendency to follow the rules manifest itself in how they reacted when they were tortured in the concentration camps?
Essay Topic 2
Adversity can either strengthen or weaken a person. Considering Wiesel, his father, and other characters, was it more common for the adversity they suffered to make them stronger or weaker?
Essay Topic 3
Wiesel and his father had a symbiotic relationship. What is a symbiotic relationship? In what way did the two of them provide support and nurture for one another? How did their symbiotic relationship benefit them as they suffered in the concentration camp? How did the relationship keep the two alive?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)