|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what was the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
2. In Chapter 3, what lie did Wiesel tell a man who was looking for Wiesel of Sighat?
3. In Chapter 1, what art had Moishe mastered?
4. In Chapter 2, first, what did Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
5. What were the people wearing who jumped into the wagon at the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Moshe escape being killed when he was deported?
2. How did life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrested the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
3. How did Wiesel describe Dr. Mengele?
4. How did some of the passengers let go of their inhibitions in Chapter 2?
5. What happened when the Jews walked toward the station at the end of Chapter 1?
6. What did Weisel want to do in the spring of 1944?
7. What were the conditions like on the train at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. In Chapter 4, where did Wiesel say that he again met a woman he had worked with in the concentration camp?
9. How did Franck get Wiesel to part with his gold tooth?
10. In Chapter 4, why was the dentist office shut down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the book is filled with horrifying experiences, there are some instances of mercy. Describe three of these situations and how they affected the individuals involved.
Essay Topic 2
The guards were brutal to their prisoners. How did the brutality affect the prisoners emotionally and mentally? How did the brutality affect the way that the prisoners treated one another? How much did the brutality they suffered affect the prisoners and the way they responded to people and situations?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book is significant. What does night often represent to people? Do bad things occur more frequently in the daytime or at night? What does the title of the book symbolize?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)