|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
2. In particular, what do the occupants of the cattle car need?
3. What interest do Moshe and Elie share?
4. What are the prisoners supposed to do when they hear the air raid sirens?
5. In chapter 3, what is the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Jews conserve their food on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
2. Using cause and effect statements, explain the change in Moshe the Beadle in chapter one.
3. Do the occupants being deported from Sighet on the train choose to believe the report from the two men who get water--why or why not?
4. Why are the prisoners happy when the camp is bombed in chapter 5?
5. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
6. When the Jews are on the train being deported from Sighet, what do the two men who get water report about the "station" where the train is stopped?
7. At the beginning of chapter 7, as they are transported to another concentration camp, what is Elie's attitude?
8. In chapter 8, why does the SS officer treat Elie's father the way he does?
9. At the beginning of chapter 3, what does the advice of the fellow prisoner provide for Elie and his father?
10. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what do the people of Sighet believe about the lives of the deportees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several components of quality literature are
1) use of descriptive words;
2) use of analogies, metaphors and similes;
3) an attention-grabbing beginning;
5) appealing to the five senses.
Do you think Night is an example of quality literature? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Elie is the author and also the main character in Night. How would the story change if it was told from a different point of view? Choose another point of view from another character or an outside narrator. What would the reader learn from this narrator that is different from Elie as the narrator? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The occupants of the concentration camps lost so much during their confinement. Give an example of something that could be taken for granted which is lost by the occupants while they are confined to the concentration camp. Discuss what it means to lose something that is usually taken for granted.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)