|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train in Chapter 2?
2. After tiring of her screams, what did the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
3. What were the conditions for the Jews on the train in Chapter 2?
4. What happened to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip in Chapter 2?
5. How long did it take for the conditions on the train in Chapter 2 to become intolerable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Madame Schachter?
2. What did the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in Chapter 2?
3. How did a young woman pass as Aryan in Chapter 4?
4. What did Madame Schachter scream about shortly after the train stopped and how did that relate to what the prisoners saw when they got off the train cars?
5. How did Moshe's experiences during the deportation change him?
6. How did Moshe escape being killed when he was deported?
7. What were the conditions like on the train at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. What did Buna look like when Wiesel arrived in Chapter 4?
9. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
10. What type of work was Wiesel given to do in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wiesel's faith changed while he was imprisoned. What was Wiesel's relationship with God at the beginning of the book? Why did he begin to grow bitter and resent God? How did the suffering Wiesel endured affect his faith? How did his relationship with God change?
Essay Topic 2
Night is the story of events that took place during the Holocaust. How does the setting and the narrative create the mood in the book? How did the topic of the book set the mood? What is the overall mood of the book?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book is significant. What does night often represent to people? Do bad things occur more frequently in the daytime or at night? What does the title of the book symbolize?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)