|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happened to life in Sighet?
2. What is Birkenau in Chapter 2?
3. How old was Mrs. Schachter?
4. Where did Wiesel's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
5. What color were the eyes of the man who joined the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the prisoners escorted off the train cars at the end of Chapter 2?
2. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
3. How did Wiesel describe Dr. Mengele?
4. What happened at the barrack where Wiesel and his father were taken in Chapter 3?
5. What happened to Moshe and his companions who were deported?
6. In Chapter 3, what did an SS officer tell the prisoners about Auschwitz?
7. What did the tent leader's aide want from Wiesel and what would he give in return in Chapter 4?
8. Who was the head of the camp in Chapter 4 and how did he act?
9. In Chapter 4, where did Wiesel say that he again met a woman he had worked with in the concentration camp?
10. How did Moshe's experiences during the deportation change him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Wiesel viewed his image in a mirror for the first time since his imprisonment. How does he describe himself? Why will he never forget the look in his eyes? Why is it significant that Wiesel refers to himself as a corpse? What does that symbolize to him?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book is significant. What does night often represent to people? Do bad things occur more frequently in the daytime or at night? What does the title of the book symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Elie is the author and also the main character in Night. How would the story change if it was told from a different point of view? Choose another point of view from another individual or an outside narrator. What would the reader learn from this narrator that is different from Elie as the narrator? Why?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)