Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
2. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
3. What does Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
4. Where does Elie's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
5. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
2. Do the occupants being deported from Sighet on the train choose to believe the report from the two men who get water--why or why not?
3. What could happen to Elie if he falls asleep in the snow?
4. Describe the executions Elie witnesses in Birkenau.
5. Elie's horrifying experiences in the concentration camp continue to shake which of his core beliefs?
6. How do the people of Sighet get the information about the Moshe and the other foreign Jews who were deported?
7. What are Elie's feelings about his father's death?
8. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
9. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
10. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
Essay Topic 1
The occupants of the concentration camps lost so much during their confinement. Give an example of something that could be taken for granted which is lost by the occupants while they are confined to the concentration camp. Discuss what it means to lose something that is usually taken for granted.
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature are
1) use of descriptive words;
2) use of analogies, metaphors and similes;
3) an attention-grabbing beginning;
5) appealing to the five senses.
Do you think Night is an example of quality literature? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a situation in the story in which Elie acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why did Elie act this way? What were the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Elie's reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)