|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Moishe the Beadle's economic status?
2. What was Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand in Chapter 4?
3. What were the conditions inside the synagogue while Wiesel's group stayed there?
4. Madame Schachter traveled with whom in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 2, what is Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Madame Schachter scream about shortly after the train stopped and how did that relate to what the prisoners saw when they got off the train cars?
2. Why did the Jews conserve their food on the train to the concentration camp in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 4, how did Wiesel describe the tent leader?
4. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what did the people of Sighet believe about the lives of the deportees?
5. Who was the head of the camp in Chapter 4 and how did he act?
6. What did Weisel want to do in the spring of 1944?
7. What happened to Moshe and his companions who were deported?
8. What happened at the barrack where Wiesel and his father were taken in Chapter 3?
9. Who was Madame Schachter?
10. How did Moshe escape being killed when he was deported?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Night is the story of events that took place during the Holocaust. How does the setting and the narrative create the mood in the book? How did the topic of the book set the mood? What is the overall mood of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Elie is the author and also the main character in Night. How would the story change if it was told from a different point of view? Choose another point of view from another individual or an outside narrator. What would the reader learn from this narrator that is different from Elie as the narrator? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Wiesel's faith changed while he was imprisoned. What was Wiesel's relationship with God at the beginning of the book? Why did he begin to grow bitter and resent God? How did the suffering Wiesel endured affect his faith? How did his relationship with God change?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)