|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the weather like at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Icy wind was blowing.
(b) It was raining.
(c) It was snowing.
(d) It was sunny.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, in the early dawn light how much of a difference was there between the living and the dead?
(a) The dead were beginning to smell.
(b) No difference.
(c) Barely a difference.
(d) The dead were gray, and the living were white.
3. What realization did Elie come to when he remembered the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
(a) The rabbi's son was a caring, spiritual person.
(b) He had no control of his own actions.
(c) His medical training was crucial in this situation.
(d) The rabbi's son thought he had a better chance of survival if he was separated from his father.
4. How did "selection" work?
(a) The authorities selected a certain group of numbers to be released.
(b) The authorities did not share the process of selecting new prisoners for the camp.
(c) The authorities randomly selected the numbers of prisoners for new jobs.
(d) The prisoners had to pass tests that demonstrate that they were healthy and strong.
5. Where did a veteran of Buchenwald tell Wiesel that they would be sent at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Mess hall.
(c) Showers and the blocks.
(d) Work stations.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, what did Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 6, in yet another selection process, what happened to Eli's father?
3. What did the SS officers call the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. What was Wiesel's feeling about the scene after the workman throws the bread in Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 7, when Wiesel woke up as he was transported with the other prisoners to the concentration camp, what was happening to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Wiesel feel about Rosh Hashanah in the past?
2. In Chapter 5, how did veterans of Buna describe the camp as it was two years ago?
3. In Chapter 6, what happened to Juliek?
4. Why did Wiesel have to go to the infirmary in Chapter 5?
5. Who was Akiba Drumer and what happened to him in Chapter 5?
6. How were the prisoners crushed into the barracks when they arrived at Gleiwitz in Chapter 6?
7. At the end of Chapter 6, how did the prisoners quench their thirst?
8. Who was Meir Katz and what happened to him?
9. How did Wiesel feel when he heard blessings to God by the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. What was selection?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)