|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many steps forward was every prisoner instructed to take at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. What scene similar to that of the workman throwing the bread to the prisoners did Wiesel witness later in life?
(a) People diving and fighting for coins thrown by passengers of a boat.
(b) Children pushing and shoving to pick up candy thrown by a street performer.
(c) A group of homeless people drawing straws to see who gets a threadbare scarf.
(d) Guards stoning a prisoner at a penitentiary.
3. What was Wiesel's reaction to the event he witnessed later in life that reminded him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) He stared, shocked and horrified, without saying a word.
(b) He tried to keep the children from hurting each other.
(c) He offered to give money.
(d) He begged a participant not to do this any more.
4. What was the workman's reaction as he watched the prisoners after he gave them the bread in Chapter 7?
5. What were Wiesel's feelings about selection in Chapter 5?
(a) He was worried.
(b) He refused to take part.
(c) He did not want to begin a new job.
(d) He knew he was strong and healthy, so he was not concerned.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a workman threw a piece of bread to the prisoners, how did the prisoners react in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 6, in yet another selection process, what happened to Eli's father?
3. What season was ending at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. After the war, what did Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp in Chapter 5?
5. After Rabbi Elichou asked Wiesel about his son in Chapter 6, what did Wiesel remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 6, what did Wiesel tell himself?
3. Why could Rabbi Eliahu not find his son?
4. In Chapter 6, what happened to Juliek?
5. Why would Wiesel's father not let him sleep in Chapter 6 while they sheltered in an old factory?
6. At the end of Chapter 6, how did the prisoners quench their thirst?
7. Why did Wiesel have to go to the infirmary in Chapter 5?
8. How did Wiesel feel when he heard blessings to God by the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. In Chapter 6, how far did the prisoners run and what condition were they in when they finished?
10. What advice did the Blockalteste give Wiesel regarding his father in Chapter 8?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)