|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Elie, what does indifference do to the spirit?
(a) Deadens it.
(b) Rejuvenates it.
(c) Energizes it.
(d) Fills it.
2. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
(a) It shows how little they have.
(b) It means there will be a prayer meeting tonight behind the kitchen.
(c) It means Elie's father now works in the kitchen.
(d) It is a secret code between Elie and his father.
3. What happens while Elie and his father are talking about the request his father makes?
(a) The air raid sirens wail.
(b) The Russian army returns.
(c) Guards take Elie's father away.
(d) Elie's father dies.
4. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
(a) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
(b) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(c) Lying under a collapsed wall.
(d) Buried in a snowpile.
5. What is the workman's reaction as he watches the prisoners after he gives them the bread?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elie's reaction to the event he witnesses later in life which reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
2. In particular, what part of the occurrence which Elie witnesses later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners causes his reaction?
3. What happens to Zalman, Elie's acquaintance, when he collapses with a stomach ache?
4. What happens to men who fall to the ground while they are running during evacuation?
5. Why do the prisoners feel this way about the chimney at this point in the story?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)