|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the prisoners took refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where did Elie find himself?
(a) Lying under a collapsed wall.
(b) Buried in a snowpile.
(c) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(d) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
2. What did Elie pray for regarding the actions of Rabbi Elichou's son upon remembering his actions?
(a) Elie prayed for medical skills so he could help others.
(b) Elie did not want to be like him.
(c) Elie prayed to be spiritual.
(d) Elie prayed that the son's actions would not cause the rabbi's death.
3. What was the responsibility of the men who cleared out the wagons?
(a) They took out the dead and burried them.
(b) They scoured the wagons with boiling water.
(c) They rotated the prisoners between the wagons.
(d) They repaired the wagons.
4. In particular, what part of the occurrence that Wiesel witnessed later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners caused his reaction?
(a) Two children were trying to strangle each other for coins.
(b) He noticed one of the homeless people pull a knife.
(c) He saw a prison guard strike the prisoner to the ground.
(d) One of the children looked like a friend he knew at Buchenwald.
5. What was Wiesel's reaction when he realizes his father is dead?
(a) He did not cry.
(b) He cursed his captors.
(c) He cried hysterically.
(d) He tried to commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, why did the prisoners feel this way about the chimney at this point in the story?
2. How did Wiesel's father fare in the first round of the selection process in Chapter 5?
3. What feeling did Elie have toward Rabbi Elichou's son?
4. What happened on the morning of January 29, 1945?
5. What was Wiesel's feeling about the scene after the workman throws the bread in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice did the Blockalteste give Wiesel regarding his father in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 6, what happened to Juliek?
3. Why would Wiesel's father not let him sleep in Chapter 6 while they sheltered in an old factory?
4. In Chapter 5, how did veterans of Buna describe the camp as it was two years ago?
5. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
6. How were the prisoners crushed into the barracks when they arrived at Gleiwitz in Chapter 6?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 6, what did Wiesel tell himself?
8. Where did the prisoners take shelter in Chapter 6?
9. How did Wiesel feel when he heard blessings to God by the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. In Chapter 6, how far did the prisoners run and what condition were they in when they finished?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)