|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what was Wiesel's father's frame of mind?
(a) He was insane.
(b) He was desperate for Elie to survive.
(c) He was extremely angry.
(d) He was giving up on life.
2. What was the reaction of the person Wiesel spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) The person told Elie to mind his own business.
(b) The person tried to stab Elie.
(c) The person completely ignored Elie.
(d) The person thought it was an act of charity.
3. What feeling did Elie have toward Rabbi Elichou's son?
4. How many steps forward was every prisoner instructed to take at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. Why did Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
(b) He wanted to get away from his father.
(c) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
(d) He wanted to be a rabbi like his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 6, how were the prisoners forced to travel?
2. In Chapter 8, why did the prisoners feel this way about the chimney at this point in the story?
3. What did Wiesel and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp in Chapter 5?
4. Who or what was waiting for the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 6, in yet another selection process, what happened to Eli's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, how did veterans of Buna describe the camp as it was two years ago?
2. Where did the prisoners take shelter in Chapter 6?
3. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
4. Why did Wiesel have to go to the infirmary in Chapter 5?
5. Why could Rabbi Eliahu not find his son?
6. At the end of Chapter 6, how did the prisoners quench their thirst?
7. Why would Wiesel's father not let him sleep in Chapter 6 while they sheltered in an old factory?
8. In Chapter 5, what was it like when winter came?
9. How were the prisoners crushed into the barracks when they arrived at Gleiwitz in Chapter 6?
10. How did the prisoners celebrate Rosh Hashanah in Chapter 5?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)