|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Wiesel's father make the request he did at the concentration camp in Chapter 8?
(a) He wanted Wiesel to have a chance for survival.
(b) He wanted to be with his wife and daughter.
(c) He desperately needed medicine.
(d) He was exhausted.
2. Who or what was waiting for the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(b) Dr. Mengele.
(d) SS officers.
3. When the prisoners found out that they could have soup, what was their reaction in Chapter 8?
(a) They eagerly devoured the soup.
(b) They drew straws to decide who got it.
(c) They were too tired to care.
(d) They fought over it.
4. In Chapter 5, what did Wiesel find when he returned from work, when he still had possession of his father's knife and spoon?
(a) His father had been selected.
(b) He found a note from his father.
(c) His father's possessions were gone.
(d) His father had not been selected.
5. What happened to Zalman in Chapter 6 when he collapsed with a stomachache?
(a) Wiesel picked him up and helped him run.
(b) He was shot.
(c) He was trampled by other prisoners.
(d) Medics carried him on a stretcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 6, how were the prisoners forced to travel?
2. What could Wiesel do when rumors started that the Russians were approaching the camp in Chapter 5?
3. What filled the prisoners' brains at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. After Rabbi Elichou asked Wiesel about his son in Chapter 6, what did Wiesel remember?
5. What happened while Wiesel and his father were talking about the request his father made?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was selection?
2. In Chapter 6, what happened to Juliek?
3. What was Yom Kippur and what debate was there over the day in Chapter 5?
4. Who was Meir Katz and what happened to him?
5. How were the prisoners crushed into the barracks when they arrived at Gleiwitz in Chapter 6?
6. Who was Akiba Drumer and what happened to him in Chapter 5?
7. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
8. What argument did Wiesel have with his father at the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. How did Wiesel feel when he heard blessings to God by the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. Where did the prisoners take shelter in Chapter 6?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)