|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Wiesel's reaction when he realizes his father is dead?
(a) He cursed his captors.
(b) He cried hysterically.
(c) He tried to commit suicide.
(d) He did not cry.
2. When the prisoners found out that they could have soup, what was their reaction in Chapter 8?
(a) They fought over it.
(b) They eagerly devoured the soup.
(c) They were too tired to care.
(d) They drew straws to decide who got it.
3. When a workman threw a piece of bread to the prisoners, how did the prisoners react in Chapter 7?
(a) They threw it back at the workman.
(b) They fought over it.
(c) They were too weak and indifferent to care.
(d) They drew straws to see who got the bread.
4. What scene similar to that of the workman throwing the bread to the prisoners did Wiesel witness later in life?
(a) Children pushing and shoving to pick up candy thrown by a street performer.
(b) A group of homeless people drawing straws to see who gets a threadbare scarf.
(c) People diving and fighting for coins thrown by passengers of a boat.
(d) Guards stoning a prisoner at a penitentiary.
5. What was the workman's reaction as he watched the prisoners after he gave them the bread in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Wiesel's feeling about the scene after the workman throws the bread in Chapter 7?
2. How did Wiesel's father fare in the first round of the selection process in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 5, how many crematoria work day and night?
4. After the war, what did Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp in Chapter 5?
5. What happened to Zalman in Chapter 6 when he collapsed with a stomachache?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Wiesel feel about Rosh Hashanah in the past?
2. What argument did Wiesel have with his father at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. Why did Wiesel have to go to the infirmary in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 5, what was it like when winter came?
5. In Chapter 6, how far did the prisoners run and what condition were they in when they finished?
6. What was the general attitude of the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 7?
7. Who was Akiba Drumer and what happened to him in Chapter 5?
8. What was Yom Kippur and what debate was there over the day in Chapter 5?
9. Who was Meir Katz and what happened to him?
10. Why would Wiesel's father not let him sleep in Chapter 6 while they sheltered in an old factory?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)