|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Elie pray for regarding the actions of Rabbi Elichou's son upon remembering his actions?
(a) Elie prayed for medical skills so he could help others.
(b) Elie prayed that the son's actions would not cause the rabbi's death.
(c) Elie did not want to be like him.
(d) Elie prayed to be spiritual.
2. How did Wiesel's father fare in the first round of the selection process in Chapter 5?
(a) He was selected.
(b) He was not selected.
(c) He began his new job in the kitchen.
(d) He was to be released from the camp.
3. In Chapter 5, what did Wiesel find when he returned from work, when he still had possession of his father's knife and spoon?
(a) His father had not been selected.
(b) He found a note from his father.
(c) His father had been selected.
(d) His father's possessions were gone.
4. What did Elie struggle to do when he found himself in the deserted village?
(d) Steal a gun.
5. In Chapter 5, how many crematoria work day and night?
Short Answer Questions
1. In particular, what part of the occurrence that Wiesel witnessed later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners caused his reaction?
2. What is "selection"?
3. What did the SS officers call the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. Where was Zalman from?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what was Wiesel's father's frame of mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the prisoners take shelter in Chapter 6?
2. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 5, what was it like when winter came?
4. Why would Wiesel's father not let him sleep in Chapter 6 while they sheltered in an old factory?
5. How did Wiesel feel about Rosh Hashanah in the past?
6. How did the prisoners celebrate Rosh Hashanah in Chapter 5?
7. Why did Wiesel have to go to the infirmary in Chapter 5?
8. How did Wiesel feel when he heard blessings to God by the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. In Chapter 6, how far did the prisoners run and what condition were they in when they finished?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 6, what did Wiesel tell himself?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)