|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what happened to men who fell to the ground when they were being evacuated?
(a) Medics attended to them.
(b) They were dragged along by other prisoners.
(c) They got up and ran again.
(d) They were shot.
2. How many corpses were thrown from the wagon in Chapter 7?
3. What does the author show about pain and suffering, particularly in Chapter 8?
(a) Pain and suffering help to build character.
(b) They will always exist.
(c) Pain and suffering can be worse than death.
(d) Pain and suffering are better than death because at least you are still living.
4. Why did Wiesel's father make the request he did at the concentration camp in Chapter 8?
(a) He wanted Wiesel to have a chance for survival.
(b) He wanted to be with his wife and daughter.
(c) He was exhausted.
(d) He desperately needed medicine.
5. What happened to Zalman in Chapter 6 when he collapsed with a stomachache?
(a) He was trampled by other prisoners.
(b) Wiesel picked him up and helped him run.
(c) He was shot.
(d) Medics carried him on a stretcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what did Wiesel say when Rabbi Elichou asked if Wiesel had seen his son?
2. What did the SS officers call the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 5, how did the Rosh Hashanah service end?
4. What happened after the round of selection in which Wiesel's father's number was called in Chapter 5?
5. When the prisoners found out that they could have soup, what was their reaction in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was selection?
2. Who was Akiba Drumer and what happened to him in Chapter 5?
3. What was Yom Kippur and what debate was there over the day in Chapter 5?
4. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
5. How were the prisoners crushed into the barracks when they arrived at Gleiwitz in Chapter 6?
6. In Chapter 5, what was it like when winter came?
7. How did the prisoners celebrate Rosh Hashanah in Chapter 5?
8. In Chapter 6, what happened to Juliek?
9. How did Wiesel feel about Rosh Hashanah in the past?
10. At the end of Chapter 6, how did the prisoners quench their thirst?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)