|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, how many crematoria work day and night?
2. As the prisoners took refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where did Elie find himself?
(a) Lying under a collapsed wall.
(b) Buried in a snowpile.
(c) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(d) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
3. In Chapter 6, why were the prisoners running as they were evacuated?
(a) They were running from the Russian army.
(b) The SS officers ordered them to run.
(c) They were trying to keep warm.
(d) There was a storm approaching.
4. How did the living feel when the corpses were thrown off the train in Chapter 7?
5. What did Wisel wonder about on the morning of January 29, 1945?
(a) If his father was still alive when he was taken to the crematory.
(b) Where they were being evacuated to.
(c) Where he would go now that he was free.
(d) What took the Americans so long to liberate the camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the weather like at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. What realization did Elie come to when he remembered the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
3. How did Wiesel respond to his father's request at the concentration camp?
4. Where did a veteran of Buchenwald tell Wiesel that they would be sent at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. What is one way that Wiesel addressed God at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Wiesel feel about Rosh Hashanah in the past?
2. Who was Akiba Drumer and what happened to him in Chapter 5?
3. What was the general attitude of the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. Why would Wiesel's father not let him sleep in Chapter 6 while they sheltered in an old factory?
5. What advice did the Blockalteste give Wiesel regarding his father in Chapter 8?
6. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
7. What was Yom Kippur and what debate was there over the day in Chapter 5?
8. How were the prisoners crushed into the barracks when they arrived at Gleiwitz in Chapter 6?
9. Where did the prisoners take shelter in Chapter 6?
10. Why could Rabbi Eliahu not find his son?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)