|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
(b) He wanted to be a rabbi like his father.
(c) He wanted to get away from his father.
(d) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 8, how many groups were the prisoners made to form?
3. What did Wiesel do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
(a) He was the prayer leader.
(b) He loudly criticized those who were praising.
(c) He criticized God.
(d) He joined with the others in offering praise.
4. What was Wiesel's reaction to the event he witnessed later in life that reminded him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) He begged a participant not to do this any more.
(b) He tried to keep the children from hurting each other.
(c) He stared, shocked and horrified, without saying a word.
(d) He offered to give money.
5. What were Wiesel's feelings about selection in Chapter 5?
(a) He did not want to begin a new job.
(b) He refused to take part.
(c) He knew he was strong and healthy, so he was not concerned.
(d) He was worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what did Wiesel say when Rabbi Elichou asked if Wiesel had seen his son?
2. How many steps forward was every prisoner instructed to take at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 5, what happened to Wiesel's leg?
4. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Wiesel by his father in Chapter 5?
5. After the war, what did Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 6, how did the prisoners quench their thirst?
2. In Chapter 6, what happened to Juliek?
3. Why could Rabbi Eliahu not find his son?
4. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
5. What was the general attitude of the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 7?
6. How were the prisoners crushed into the barracks when they arrived at Gleiwitz in Chapter 6?
7. What was selection?
8. Who was Akiba Drumer and what happened to him in Chapter 5?
9. In Chapter 5, what was it like when winter came?
10. Why did Wiesel have to go to the infirmary in Chapter 5?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)