|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what did Wiesel see in the flames of the crematory?
(a) Children and babies.
(b) His best friend from Sighet.
(c) Moshe and Madame Schachter.
(d) His mother and sister.
2. What was the condition of the main synagogue when Wiesel's group reached it?
(a) It was vandalized.
(b) The Gestapo kept it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
(c) The Gestapo kept it clean to make outsiders think they were humane.
(d) It was burned to the ground.
3. What does the author say the cattle car is in Chapter 2?
(a) A shoebox.
(b) A trap.
(c) A closet.
(d) An oven.
4. What happened to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrived?
(a) They were systematically executed.
(b) They were put on cattle cars.
(c) They had to surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(d) They were confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
5. How did Madame Schachter react when the train began moving again in Chapter 2?
(a) She became unconscious from her illness.
(b) She sat quietly in a corner of the train car.
(c) She began to scream again.
(d) She fell asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the people of Sighet regard Wiesel's father?
2. When did Wiesel meet Moishe?
3. In Chapter 3, when Wiesel's father asked directions to the washroom, what happened to him?
4. In Chapter 3, what happened to the Jews at Birkenau once they left the train?
5. How did Wiesel's father respond to the order that Jews were not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in Chapter 2?
2. How did Moshe escape being killed when he was deported?
3. How did some of the passengers let go of their inhibitions in Chapter 2?
4. How did life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrested the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
5. In Chapter 4, how did Wiesel describe the tent leader?
6. What did the prisoners feel when they learned about the crematorium in Chapter 3?
7. Describe the relationship between Moshe the Beadle and Wiesel.
8. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what did the people of Sighet believe about the lives of the deportees?
9. Why did the Jews conserve their food on the train to the concentration camp in Chapter 2?
10. What did a fellow prisoner advise Wiesel and his father in Chapter 3?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)