|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Elie's father asks directions to the washroom, what happens to him?
(a) The officer yells racial slurs at him.
(b) He is sent to the crematory.
(c) The officer knocks him to the ground.
(d) He is ignored.
2. How are the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
(a) They are to crawl.
(b) The Jews are to march in strict formation.
(c) They are to ride in filthy wagons.
(d) They are to run.
3. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She complains that she is ill.
(b) She moans about the fact that they are all going to die.
(c) She complains about the conditions on the train.
(d) She cries about being separated from her family.
4. What is the response of the man looking for Wiesel of Sighet to Elie's news of his family?
(a) He cries bitterly and hysterically.
(b) He remains quiet and returns to his place in the ranks.
(c) He collapses from grief.
(d) He weeps with joy.
5. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
(a) Getting out of solitary confinement.
(b) The foreman's continual abuse of Elie's father.
(c) Getting on the good side of the camp commander.
(d) Tiring of personal abuse from the foreman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 4, what does the foreman want Elie to do?
2. What are the conditions inside the synagogue while Elie's group stays there?
3. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
4. In chapter 4, what happens to Elie when he is working?
5. What is the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the treatment the prisoners receive from the SS officers and the treatment by their prisoner in charge.
2. To what does Elie compare rumors that bring hope to the prisoners?
3. What do the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
4. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
5. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
6. How does what Elie witnesses at the crematory at Birkenau affect him?
7. How do the people of Sighet get the information about the Moshe and the other foreign Jews who were deported?
8. How does Elie keep his father from being taken from the wagon in which they are being transported to the concentration camp?
9. In chapter 8, what is the general frame of mind of the prisoners?
10. How does Elie describe the feeling that death is surrounding him?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)