|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the foreman's respond to Elie's refusal?
(a) The foreman beats Elie so his tooth falls out.
(b) The foreman abuses Elie's father.
(c) The foreman tells the camp commander that Elie stole food.
(d) The foreman sends Elie to solitary confinement.
2. The German officer who threatens to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compares them to what animal?
3. In chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what are the occupants allowed to have?
(a) Fresh clothing.
4. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
(b) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
(c) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
(d) They pretend that they are not frightened.
5. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
(b) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(c) They are systematically executed.
(d) They are put on cattle cars.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
2. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
3. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
4. Where does Elie's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
5. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident does Elie witness after the workman throws the bread to the prisoners?
2. What are the prisoners required to do when the camp is evacuated?
3. How does the author compare humans and animals when describing the pots of soup?
4. Contrast the treatment the prisoners receive from the SS officers and the treatment by their prisoner in charge.
5. What is the musical expression described in chapter 6?
6. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
7. When the author states that a guard calls the prisoners swine, to what is he comparing the prisoners?
8. How does life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrest the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
9. According to Elie, how can complacency be viewed?
10. At the beginning of chapter 3, what does the advice of the fellow prisoner provide for Elie and his father?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)