Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
(a) She sits quietly in a corner of the train car.
(b) She begins to scream again.
(c) She becomes unconscious from her illness.
(d) She falls asleep.
2. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
(b) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(c) They are systematically executed.
(d) They are put on cattle cars.
3. In the spring of 1944, what does Elie wish his father would do?
(a) He wishes his father would help more Jews acquire safe passage.
(b) He wants his father to sell everything and go to Palestine.
(c) Elie wants his father to spend more time with him.
(d) Elie wants his father to move the family to America.
4. What is A-7713?
(a) The number branded on the arm of Elie's father.
(b) The number of Elie's prison block.
(c) The emergency code for an escaped prisoner.
(d) The number branded on Elie's arm.
5. What is the response of the man looking for Wiesel of Sighet to Elie's news of his family?
(a) He cries bitterly and hysterically.
(b) He weeps with joy.
(c) He remains quiet and returns to his place in the ranks.
(d) He collapses from grief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the prisoners supposed to do when they hear the air raid sirens?
2. What are the conditions inside the synagogue while Elie's group stays there?
3. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
4. Who is the first person to be introduced in the book, Night?
5. Why does Elie get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Elie's "inner death."
2. Using cause and effect statements, explain the change in Moshe the Beadle in chapter one.
3. Unknowingly, the Jews receive a warning from a passenger about what they will see when they depart the train at Birkenau. Who gives that warning, what is that warning, and how do the Jews react to it?
4. Explain what happens to Elie and his father at the selection process in chapter 6.
5. To what does Elie compare rumors that bring hope to the prisoners?
6. Elie's horrifying experiences in the concentration camp continue to shake which of his core beliefs?
7. Choose a minor character from the story. How does this character affect the main character? Did the author have to include this character in the story?
8. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
9. Why do the Jews conserve their food on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
10. How does the content of chapter 7 help explain the title of the book?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)