|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(b) A person's name.
(c) A vacation.
2. In German language, what does the French girl who witnesses the event while Elie is working tell him to do?
(a) Cry and let your feelings out so you feel better.
(b) Go to the infirmary.
(c) Seek immediate revenge on your attacker.
(d) Bite your lip and don't cry.
3. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He feels he should have repeated the question.
(b) He feels he should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(c) He thinks he should have run and hid.
(d) He thinks he should have attacked the assailant.
4. Madame Schachter travels with whom?
(a) Her ten-year-old son.
(b) Her husband and two oldest sons.
(c) Her ten-year-old daughter.
(d) No one.
5. What are the prisoners supposed to do when they hear the air raid sirens?
(a) Take cover in cement air raid shelters.
(b) Lie flat on the ground.
(c) Take cover in their lodgings.
(d) Man anti-aircraft artillery.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 4, what does the foreman want Elie to do?
2. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
3. In the spring of 1944, what does Elie wish his father would do?
4. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
5. How are the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Elie's liberation from the concentration camp only a physical, not an emotional liberation?
2. What are the prisoners required to do when the camp is evacuated?
3. As they are transported to another concentration camp, how does Elie's attitude almost cause his father to die?
4. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
5. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
6. Describe Elie's thoughts as he experiences life in the concentration camp.
7. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
8. To what does Elie compare rumors that bring hope to the prisoners?
9. Why are the prisoners happy when the camp is bombed in chapter 5?
10. Who is the only victim of the air raid in chapter 5?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)