Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(b) They see fire.
(c) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
(d) They see barbed wire.
2. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
(a) He is afraid the guards will punish them for talking, so he tries to make the man leave quickly.
(b) He is afraid of the man.
(c) He wants to give hope to the man.
(d) Elie thought he was telling the truth.
3. What does Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
(a) He plans an uprising against the Hungarian police.
(b) He immerses himself in prayer.
(c) He devotes himself to helping other foreign Jews escape.
(d) He is engrossed in getting others to listen to his stories.
4. Where does Elie's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
(a) In the middle of a field.
(b) The railroad station.
(c) The main synagogue.
(d) A deserted warehouse.
5. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
(a) He finds a note from his father.
(b) His father has been selected.
(c) He finds that his father's possessions are gone.
(d) His father has not been selected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
2. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
3. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
4. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
5. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
2. Do the occupants being deported from Sighet on the train choose to believe the report from the two men who get water--why or why not?
3. What could happen to Elie if he falls asleep in the snow?
4. Describe the executions Elie witnesses in Birkenau.
5. Elie's horrifying experiences in the concentration camp continue to shake which of his core beliefs?
6. How do the people of Sighet get the information about the Moshe and the other foreign Jews who were deported?
7. What are Elie's feelings about his father's death?
8. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
9. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
10. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)