|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Moshe tell Elie he escapes the Gestapo in 1944?
(a) He is shot in the leg and left for dead.
(b) He disguises himself as a Gestapo agent.
(c) He agrees to kill the Jews who were on his truck.
(d) He steals a truck.
2. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
(a) Getting out of solitary confinement.
(b) The foreman's continual abuse of Elie's father.
(c) Tiring of personal abuse from the foreman.
(d) Getting on the good side of the camp commander.
3. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
(a) The man tries to get Elie in trouble with the guards.
(b) The man tries to kill Elie.
(c) The man tells Elie he understands why he lied.
(d) Elie never sees him again.
4. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
(b) They formulate a plan for escape.
(c) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
(d) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
5. What happens to the train on which Moshe is deported?
(a) The train is taken over by the Gestapo in Polish territory.
(b) The Gestapo order the Jews on Moshe's train car to unload and walk to the destination.
(c) The last few train cars derail.
(d) The train crashes into a tressel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
2. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
3. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
4. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
5. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
2. Compare Moshe the Beadle (from chapter one) and Madame Schachter.
3. What incident does Elie witness after the workman throws the bread to the prisoners?
4. How does the content of chapter 7 help explain the title of the book?
5. What do the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
6. As they are transported to another concentration camp, how does Elie's attitude almost cause his father to die?
7. Using cause and effect statements, explain the change in Moshe the Beadle in chapter one.
8. How do the people of Sighet get the information about the Moshe and the other foreign Jews who were deported?
9. To what does Elie compare rumors that bring hope to the prisoners?
10. What could happen to Elie if he falls asleep in the snow?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)