|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did some of the young do in Chapter 2 under the cover of darkness?
(a) Hug one another.
(b) Caress one another.
(c) Comfort one another.
(d) Sit on one another's laps.
2. In Chapter 3, what did Wiesel see in the flames of the crematory?
(a) Children and babies.
(b) Moshe and Madame Schachter.
(c) His best friend from Sighet.
(d) His mother and sister.
3. Where did Wiesel's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
(a) The railroad station.
(b) A deserted warehouse.
(c) In the middle of a field.
(d) The main synagogue.
4. In the spring of 1944, what did Elie wish his father would do?
(a) Sell everything and go to Palestine.
(b) Help more Jews acquire safe passage.
(c) Spend more time with him.
(d) Move the family to America.
5. How did Wiesel's father respond to his son's wish in the Spring of 1944?
(a) He said he is too old to start over.
(b) He reminded Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
(c) He agreed to spend more time with Elie.
(d) He said helping more Jews was too dangerous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the chimney represent for the prisoners in Chapter 3?
2. In Chapter 3, when Wiesel's father asked directions to the washroom, what happened to him?
3. What troubling news did the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
4. In German language, what did the French girl who witnessed the event while Elie iwa working tell him to do in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 3, who was the first person to fall to the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Moshe the Beadle and Wiesel.
2. In Chapter 4, why was the dentist office shut down?
3. Who was Madame Schachter?
4. What did Madame Schachter scream about shortly after the train stopped and how did that relate to what the prisoners saw when they got off the train cars?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what did the Jews leave behind in the wagons?
6. How did Moshe's experiences during the deportation change him?
7. What did Weisel want to do in the spring of 1944?
8. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what did the people of Sighet believe about the lives of the deportees?
9. Who was the head of the camp in Chapter 4 and how did he act?
10. How did Franck get Wiesel to part with his gold tooth?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)