|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After they are shown the chimney at Birkenau, what is the crowd's reaction?
(a) There is a brief uprising.
(b) They cheer wildly.
(c) The crowd lets out an audible sigh of relief.
(d) They are completely silent.
2. At the end of chapter one, where do the Hungarian police send the Jews?
(a) They are forced to walk miles to their destination.
(b) They are ordered onto filthy trucks.
(c) They are crammed onto crowded cattle wagons.
(d) They are jammed onto packed railroad passenger cars.
3. What is the dentist's punishment after his arrest?
(a) Firing squad.
(b) The crematory.
4. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He thinks he should have run and hid.
(b) He thinks he should have attacked the assailant.
(c) He feels he should have repeated the question.
(d) He feels he should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
5. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
(a) Elie never sees him again.
(b) The man tries to get Elie in trouble with the guards.
(c) The man tells Elie he understands why he lied.
(d) The man tries to kill Elie.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
2. What is Birkenau?
3. Madame Schachter travels with whom?
4. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
5. When Elie is asked to report to the dentist, where is he coming from?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Jews are on the train being deported from Sighet, what do the two men who get water report about the "station" where the train is stopped?
2. How do the people of Sighet get the information about the Moshe and the other foreign Jews who were deported?
3. What could happen to Elie if he falls asleep in the snow?
4. Contrast the treatment the prisoners receive from the SS officers and the treatment by their prisoner in charge.
5. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
6. Elie's horrifying experiences in the concentration camp continue to shake which of his core beliefs?
7. How does the content of chapter 7 help explain the title of the book?
8. Explain Elie's "inner death."
9. How does Elie describe the feeling that death is surrounding him?
10. Compare Moshe the Beadle (from chapter one) and Madame Schachter.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)