|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in charge of Elie, his father and the other prisoners in this prison block?
(a) Elie's father.
(b) A Polish prisoner.
(c) An SS officer.
(d) A German prisoner.
2. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
(a) It is burned to the ground.
(b) The Gestapo keep it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
(c) The Gestapo keep it clean to make outsiders think they are humane.
(d) It is vandalized.
3. How does Moshe's experience change him?
(a) He becomes optimistic about the situation.
(b) He tries to commit suicide.
(c) He attempts to leave his beloved hometown and country.
(d) He loses interest in the things he loves.
4. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(b) They see fire.
(c) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
(d) They see barbed wire.
5. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
(a) Virtually everyone leaves Sighet.
(b) Life returns to normal.
(c) The community leaders plan a large celebration.
(d) The town becomes crime-ridden and economically depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
2. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
3. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
4. Where is Sighet?
5. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
2. What do the Jews see and smell as they get off the train at Birkenau?
3. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
4. How does the author compare humans and animals when describing the pots of soup?
5. Describe Elie's thoughts as he experiences life in the concentration camp.
6. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
7. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
8. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
9. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
10. How does what Elie witnesses at the crematory at Birkenau affect him?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)