|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Germans arrested the Jewish leaders during Passover, what were the Jews required to do?
(a) Remain in their houses for three days.
(b) Leave the town and find their own accommodations.
(c) Attend formation every morning at dawn.
(d) Immediately surrender all their possessions.
2. In Chapter 1, what did Wiesel like about Moishe?
(a) His vast knowledge.
(b) His wide, dreamy eyes.
(c) His manner of speaking.
(d) The way he carried himself.
3. What did Wiesel's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They offered rooms to relatives who had lost their homes.
(b) They hid Jews who were trying to escape.
(c) They gave their valuables to relatives who could hide them.
(d) They were forced to cook for the German soldiers.
4. Where did the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews saw as they exit the train at Birkenau in Chapter 2?
(a) An overturned cattle car.
(b) A house.
(c) A bonfire.
(d) A chimney.
5. How did others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
(a) They saw him as a prophet.
(b) They considered him to be a gifted storyteller.
(c) People regarded him as a great philosopher.
(d) They questioned his sanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
2. What were the people wearing who jumped into the wagon at the end of Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 3, how did Wiesel feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, who did Wiesel see wandering between the blocks?
5. How did Moshe tell Weisel he escaped the Gestapo in 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the conditions like on the train at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. What did the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in Chapter 2?
3. What did Buna look like when Wiesel arrived in Chapter 4?
4. How did Wiesel describe Dr. Mengele?
5. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what did the people of Sighet believe about the lives of the deportees?
6. What happened to Moshe and his companions who were deported?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what did the Jews leave behind in the wagons?
8. What did a fellow prisoner advise Wiesel and his father in Chapter 3?
9. What did the tent leader's aide want from Wiesel and what would he give in return in Chapter 4?
10. Why was Wiesel able to keep his new pair of shoes in Chapter 3?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)