|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another requirement the Jews must adhere to, regarding their clothing?
(a) Jewish children are no longer permitted to wear school uniforms.
(b) All Jews must wear a black star.
(c) Each Jew must wear a yellow star.
(d) Each Jew must wear black or grey.
2. How do the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train?
(a) They threaten to send everyone to the furnace.
(b) They threaten to shoot everyone if even one person escapes.
(c) There is one officer to guard each Jew.
(d) They threaten to withhold everyone's food and water.
3. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
(a) The community leaders plan a large celebration.
(b) The town becomes crime-ridden and economically depressed.
(c) Virtually everyone leaves Sighet.
(d) Life returns to normal.
4. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see barbed wire.
(b) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(c) They see fire.
(d) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
5. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
(a) He reminds Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
(b) He says helping more Jews is too dangerous.
(c) He says he is too old to start over.
(d) He agrees to spend more time with Elie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
2. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
3. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
4. In chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what are the occupants allowed to have?
5. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
2. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
3. Using cause and effect statements, explain the change in Moshe the Beadle in chapter one.
4. What are the prisoners required to do when the camp is evacuated?
5. How does the content of chapter 7 help explain the title of the book?
6. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
7. How does Elie describe the feeling that death is surrounding him?
8. What could happen to Elie if he falls asleep in the snow?
9. Why were tears of joy shed by some prisoners inside the barracks?
10. Why are the prisoners happy when the camp is bombed in chapter 5?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)