|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Wiesel's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They offered rooms to relatives who had lost their homes.
(b) They were forced to cook for the German soldiers.
(c) They gave their valuables to relatives who could hide them.
(d) They hid Jews who were trying to escape.
2. How did the people of Sighet regard Wiesel's father?
(a) He was highly respected.
(b) He was considered arrogant and overbearing.
(c) He was known to be sensitive and emotional.
(d) He was thought to be untrustworthy.
3. At Birkenau, what did a fellow prisoner tell Wiesel and his father to do?
(b) Lie about their ages.
(c) Be sure to tell the truth about their ages.
(d) Keep their eyes averted downward at all times.
4. How did Moshe tell Weisel he escaped the Gestapo in 1944?
(a) He was shot in the leg and left for dead.
(b) He stole a truck.
(c) He agreed to kill the Jews who were on his truck.
(d) He disguised himself as a Gestapo agent.
5. Where did the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews saw as they exit the train at Birkenau in Chapter 2?
(a) An overturned cattle car.
(b) A chimney.
(c) A house.
(d) A bonfire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take for the conditions on the train in Chapter 2 to become intolerable?
2. How did the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train in Chapter 2?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, who did Wiesel see wandering between the blocks?
4. In Chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what were the occupants allowed to have?
5. Why did the dentist not pull Elie's tooth in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
2. How were the prisoners escorted off the train cars at the end of Chapter 2?
3. How did Weisel's attitude about food change in Chapter 3?
4. What did Weisel want to do in the spring of 1944?
5. How did a young woman pass as Aryan in Chapter 4?
6. How did life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrested the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
7. What happened when the Jews walked toward the station at the end of Chapter 1?
8. In Chapter 4, where did Wiesel say that he again met a woman he had worked with in the concentration camp?
9. What did Madame Schachter scream about shortly after the train stopped and how did that relate to what the prisoners saw when they got off the train cars?
10. Describe the relationship between Moshe the Beadle and Wiesel.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)