|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 4, what happens to Elie when he is working?
(a) He is beaten.
(b) He injures his hand severely.
(c) He is taunted and teased by the other workers.
(d) He receives a promotion.
2. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) They are forced to run laps.
(b) They are ordered to clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
(c) They must stand in formation for over an hour.
(d) They are forced to shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
3. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
(a) The young man's.
(b) The elderly man's.
(c) The young boy's.
(d) The dentist's.
4. In chapter 3, what is the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
(a) The conditions are far worse than they could have imagined.
(b) It looks as if the conditions will be more favorable than at the place they came from.
(c) The conditions are about the same as the place they came from.
(d) They see dismal, but not disagreeable, conditions.
5. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He feels he should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(b) He thinks he should have run and hid.
(c) He thinks he should have attacked the assailant.
(d) He feels he should have repeated the question.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
2. What happens to the train on which Moshe is deported?
3. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
4. What does the author say the cattle car is?
5. What is A-7713?
Short Essay Questions
1. One of Charles Darwin's evolutionary principles is survival of the fittest. How does this concept apply to life in the concentration camp?
2. Describe the executions Elie witnesses in Birkenau.
3. What is the musical expression described in chapter 6?
4. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
5. At the beginning of chapter 7, as they are transported to another concentration camp, what is Elie's attitude?
6. Unknowingly, the Jews receive a warning from a passenger about what they will see when they depart the train at Birkenau. Who gives that warning, what is that warning, and how do the Jews react to it?
7. What do the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
8. When the Jews are on the train being deported from Sighet, what do the two men who get water report about the "station" where the train is stopped?
9. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
10. Choose a minor character from the story. How does this character affect the main character? Did the author have to include this character in the story?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)