|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the spring of 1944, what did Elie wish his father would do?
(a) Help more Jews acquire safe passage.
(b) Move the family to America.
(c) Sell everything and go to Palestine.
(d) Spend more time with him.
2. In Chapter 2, first, what did Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She moaned about the fact that they were all going to die.
(b) She cried about being separated from her family.
(c) She complained about the conditions on the train.
(d) She complained that she was ill.
3. At Birkenau, what did a fellow prisoner tell Wiesel and his father to do?
(a) Keep their eyes averted downward at all times.
(b) Be sure to tell the truth about their ages.
(c) Lie about their ages.
4. What did Wiesel believe when he and his father were sent to the right after telling their ages to the officer at Birkenau?
(a) He believed that he and his father would be separated.
(b) He thought they were in the fortunate group.
(c) He believed they were being sent to the crematory.
(d) He thought they would be shot immediately.
5. What did the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car in Chapter 2?
(b) A person's name.
(c) A vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews saw as they exit the train at Birkenau in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 3, what did Wiesel see in the flames of the crematory?
3. What were the conditions for the Jews on the train in Chapter 2?
4. What did the chimney represent for the prisoners in Chapter 3?
5. What happened to the train on which Moshe was deported?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of work was Wiesel given to do in Chapter 4?
2. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
3. What did the German officer and the Hungarian interpreter tell the Jews on the train to the concentration camp in Chapter 2?
4. What happened to Moshe and his companions who were deported?
5. Why was Wiesel able to keep his new pair of shoes in Chapter 3?
6. How did Weisel's attitude about food change in Chapter 3?
7. What happened when the Jews walked toward the station at the end of Chapter 1?
8. In Chapter 4, where did Wiesel say that he again met a woman he had worked with in the concentration camp?
9. What did Weisel want to do in the spring of 1944?
10. How did life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrested the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)