|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She moans about the fact that they are all going to die.
(b) She complains that she is ill.
(c) She cries about being separated from her family.
(d) She complains about the conditions on the train.
2. Where does Elie's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
(a) The railroad station.
(b) The main synagogue.
(c) A deserted warehouse.
(d) In the middle of a field.
3. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He buries their savings in the basement.
(b) He destroys their valuables rather that surrender them.
(c) He surrenders their valuables to the Germans.
(d) He gives their savings to a relative who can safely hide them.
4. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
(a) She becomes unconscious from her illness.
(b) She sits quietly in a corner of the train car.
(c) She falls asleep.
(d) She begins to scream again.
5. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
(a) The conditions are crowded and hot.
(b) Each Jew has a sleeping bag and provisions.
(c) There is a seating and sleeping area.
(d) There are games and a victrola.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
2. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
3. What interest do Moshe and Elie share?
4. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
5. Where is Sighet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elie describe the feeling that death is surrounding him?
2. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
3. How does what Elie witnesses at the crematory at Birkenau affect him?
4. According to Moshe, what is the truth about what happened on the train trip on which he and other foreign Jews are deported?
5. Elie's horrifying experiences in the concentration camp continue to shake which of his core beliefs?
6. Why do the Jews conserve their food on the train to the concentration camp in chapter 2?
7. Describe Elie's thoughts as he experiences life in the concentration camp.
8. What incident does Elie witness after the workman throws the bread to the prisoners?
9. As they are transported to another concentration camp, how does Elie's attitude almost cause his father to die?
10. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)