|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Birkenau?
(a) The reception area for Auschwitz.
(b) The reception area for Bergen-Belsen.
(c) The reception area for Kaschau.
(d) The reception area for Dachau.
2. What is another requirement the Jews must adhere to, regarding their clothing?
(a) Jewish children are no longer permitted to wear school uniforms.
(b) Each Jew must wear black or grey.
(c) Each Jew must wear a yellow star.
(d) All Jews must wear a black star.
3. What are the conditions inside the synagogue while Elie's group stays there?
(a) Spacious and clean.
(b) Drafty and damp.
(c) Crowded and unsanitary.
(d) Chaotic and noisy.
4. When Elie meets the woman who witnessed the event in Auschwitz while Elie was working after the war, what does she tell him?
(a) She is a distant relative.
(b) She is actually Jewish, not French.
(c) She was severely punished for speaking to Elie when he was beaten.
(d) She saw his mother and sister go to a crematory at another camp.
5. How do the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train?
(a) There is one officer to guard each Jew.
(b) They threaten to withhold everyone's food and water.
(c) They threaten to shoot everyone if even one person escapes.
(d) They threaten to send everyone to the furnace.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Birkenau, what does the fellow prisoner tell Elie and his father to do?
2. After they are shown the chimney at Birkenau, what is the crowd's reaction?
3. How do the Jews sleep the first night in the prison block at Auschwitz?
4. How are the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
5. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the treatment the prisoners receive from the SS officers and the treatment by their prisoner in charge.
2. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
3. According to Elie, how can complacency be viewed?
4. Does Night have a happy ending?
5. Unknowingly, the Jews receive a warning from a passenger about what they will see when they depart the train at Birkenau. Who gives that warning, what is that warning, and how do the Jews react to it?
6. What do the Jews see and smell as they get off the train at Birkenau?
7. Explain Elie's "inner death."
8. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
9. How do the people of Sighet get the information about the Moshe and the other foreign Jews who were deported?
10. What is the musical expression described in chapter 6?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)