|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
(a) They think he was killed or went into hiding.
(b) They believe he will conquer all of Europe.
(c) They believe he will soon be defeated.
(d) They think his troops are turning on him.
2. What does the dentist find in Elie's mouth?
(a) A severely infected tooth.
(b) A silver crown.
(c) A gold crown.
(d) A partial set of false teeth.
3. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) They are forced to run laps.
(b) They are forced to shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
(c) They must stand in formation for over an hour.
(d) They are ordered to clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
4. In chapter 4, what happens to Elie when he is working?
(a) He is taunted and teased by the other workers.
(b) He injures his hand severely.
(c) He is beaten.
(d) He receives a promotion.
5. What is Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand?
(a) Elie refuses to give the foreman his tooth.
(b) Elie refuses to smuggle soap..
(c) Elie refuses to smuggle food.
(d) Elie refuses to steal electrical parts.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
2. How do the Jews sleep the first night in the prison block at Auschwitz?
3. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
4. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
5. Why is the dentist who didn't pull Elie's tooth arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the prisoners when they first go into the barracks at Birkenau?
2. In chapter 8, why does the SS officer treat Elie's father the way he does?
3. What does Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year, cause Elie to think about?
4. When the Jews are on the train being deported from Sighet, what do the two men who get water report about the "station" where the train is stopped?
5. How does life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrest the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
6. What incident does Elie witness after the workman throws the bread to the prisoners?
7. Who is the only victim of the air raid in chapter 5?
8. Explain what happens to Elie and his father at the selection process in chapter 6.
9. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
10. Describe the executions Elie witnesses in Birkenau.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)