|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She can only be consoled by Elie.
(b) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
(c) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
(d) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
2. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
(a) They are separated from their relatives.
(b) They are permitted to keep half their valuables.
(c) They are immediately sent to the furnace.
(d) They are shot.
3. In chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what are the occupants allowed to have?
(a) Fresh clothing.
4. In chapter 3, why does Elie's father ask directions to the washroom?
(a) He is ill with colic.
(b) He needs to wash a wound.
(c) A friend of Elie's father is ill.
(d) Elie's father needs to wash a blood stain from his shirt.
5. What does Elie see in the flames of the crematory?
(a) He sees Moshe and Madame Schachter.
(b) He sees his mother and sister.
(c) He sees his best friend from Sighet.
(d) He sees children and babies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
2. What is Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand?
3. As the train trip continues, what does Madame Schachter scream about?
4. How does Moshe's experience change him?
5. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year, cause Elie to think about?
2. Compare Moshe the Beadle (from chapter one) and Madame Schachter.
3. How does the content of chapter 7 help explain the title of the book?
4. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
5. Elie's horrifying experiences in the concentration camp continue to shake which of his core beliefs?
6. How does life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrest the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
7. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
8. Using cause and effect statements, explain the change in Moshe the Beadle in chapter one.
9. How does the author compare humans and animals when describing the pots of soup?
10. Describe Madame Schachter.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)