|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the prisoners supposed to do when they hear the air raid sirens?
(a) Man anti-aircraft artillery.
(b) Lie flat on the ground.
(c) Take cover in their lodgings.
(d) Take cover in cement air raid shelters.
2. What does the chimney represent for the prisoners?
3. In chapter 4, what was Elie's job in the camp?
(a) He assists the camp dentist.
(b) He cleans the camp showers.
(c) He works in the electrical warehouse.
(d) He works in the camp kitchen.
4. What is another requirement the Jews must adhere to, regarding their clothing?
(a) Jewish children are no longer permitted to wear school uniforms.
(b) Each Jew must wear a yellow star.
(c) Each Jew must wear black or grey.
(d) All Jews must wear a black star.
5. In particular, what do the occupants of the cattle car need?
(d) Warm clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elie meets the woman who witnessed the event in Auschwitz while Elie was working after the war, what does she tell him?
2. When Elie's father asks directions to the washroom, what happens to him?
3. What does the author say the cattle car is?
4. Why was speaking German to Elie at the camp so risky for a young female prisoner?
5. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Night have a happy ending?
2. What are the prisoners required to do when the camp is evacuated?
3. How does the content of chapter 7 help explain the title of the book?
4. Why were tears of joy shed by some prisoners inside the barracks?
5. How does Elie describe the feeling that death is surrounding him?
6. What happens to the prisoners when they first go into the barracks at Birkenau?
7. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
8. Aside from the surgery on his leg possibly causing his death, what other reason does Elie have to be concerned about the results?
9. What does Elie show about his spirit and the human spirit in general after his father dies?
10. What is the musical expression described in chapter 6?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)