|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He surrenders their valuables to the Germans.
(b) He destroys their valuables rather that surrender them.
(c) He buries their savings in the basement.
(d) He gives their savings to a relative who can safely hide them.
2. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(c) A person's name.
(d) A vacation.
3. In particular, what do the occupants of the cattle car need?
(d) Warm clothing.
4. How are the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
(a) The Jews are to march in strict formation.
(b) They are to run.
(c) They are to ride in filthy wagons.
(d) They are to crawl.
5. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
(a) She becomes unresponsive.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She is shot by the Hungarian police.
(d) She goes insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
2. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
3. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
4. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
5. How does Elie know Madame Schachter so well?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the people of Sighet lulled into a false sense of security by the German troops who entered Sighet in the spring of 1944?
2. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what do the people of Sighet believe about the lives of the deportees?
3. To what does Elie compare rumors that bring hope to the prisoners?
4. What do the Jews see and smell as they get off the train at Birkenau?
5. How does the death of the young boy whose execution Elie witnesses affect the prisoners?
6. How do the people of Sighet get the information about the Moshe and the other foreign Jews who were deported?
7. Describe the relationship between Moshe the Beadle and Elie.
8. What happens to the prisoners when they first go into the barracks at Birkenau?
9. Using cause and effect statements, explain the change in Moshe the Beadle in chapter one.
10. How does Elie keep his father from being taken from the wagon in which they are being transported to the concentration camp?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)