|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 1, where did the Hungarian police send the Jews?
(a) They were ordered onto filthy trucks.
(b) They were jammed onto packed railroad passenger cars.
(c) They were crammed onto crowded cattle wagons.
(d) They were forced to walk miles to their destination.
2. In Chapter 3, who was the first person to fall to the ground?
(a) An old woman.
(b) An old man.
(c) A young boy.
(d) A young girl.
3. How did Wiesel's father respond to the order that Jews were not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He gave their savings to a relative who could safely hide them.
(b) He buried their savings in the basement.
(c) He destroyed their valuables rather that surrender them.
(d) He surrendered their valuables to the Germans.
4. What happened to the train on which Moshe was deported?
(a) The train was taken over by the Gestapo in Polish territory.
(b) The Gestapo ordered the Jews on Moshe's train car to unload and walk to the destination.
(c) The train crashed into a trestle.
(d) The last few train cars derailed.
5. How did Madame Schachter react when the train began moving again in Chapter 2?
(a) She began to scream again.
(b) She fell asleep.
(c) She became unconscious from her illness.
(d) She sat quietly in a corner of the train car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Moshe the Beadle work?
2. When did Wiesel meet Moishe?
3. In Chapter 3, what did the prisoners discuss after several weeks in the camp?
4. In Chapter 2, a German officer who threatened to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compared them to what animal?
5. Where is Sighet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the tent leader's aide want from Wiesel and what would he give in return in Chapter 4?
2. What did Buna look like when Wiesel arrived in Chapter 4?
3. Why was Wiesel able to keep his new pair of shoes in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the relationship between Moshe the Beadle and Wiesel.
5. What type of work was Wiesel given to do in Chapter 4?
6. Who was Madame Schachter?
7. In Chapter 4, where did Wiesel say that he again met a woman he had worked with in the concentration camp?
8. What happened to Moshe and his companions who were deported?
9. In Chapter 3, what did an SS officer tell the prisoners about Auschwitz?
10. Who was the head of the camp in Chapter 4 and how did he act?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)