|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Auschwitz?
(a) The name of the train they are on
(b) The name of the "station" where the train stops
(c) The reception center for Dachau
(d) The name of the Hungarian interpreter
2. What is another requirement the Jews must adhere to, regarding their clothing?
(a) Each Jew must wear black or grey.
(b) Each Jew must wear a yellow star.
(c) All Jews must wear a black star.
(d) Jewish children are no longer permitted to wear school uniforms.
3. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
(a) They are immediately sent to the furnace.
(b) They are permitted to keep half their valuables.
(c) They are shot.
(d) They are separated from their relatives.
4. How does Elie know Madame Schachter so well?
(a) She is his teacher.
(b) She often visited his family's home.
(c) She is his aunt.
(d) She is sitting next to him during the long train trip.
5. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
(a) The man tells Elie he understands why he lied.
(b) The man tries to kill Elie.
(c) Elie never sees him again.
(d) The man tries to get Elie in trouble with the guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the conditions inside the synagogue while Elie's group stays there?
2. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
3. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
4. What are the prisoners supposed to do when they hear the air raid sirens?
5. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to Elie and his father at the selection process in chapter 6.
2. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
3. Who is the only victim of the air raid in chapter 5?
4. What could happen to Elie if he falls asleep in the snow?
5. How does the author compare humans and animals when describing the pots of soup?
6. According to Moshe, what is the truth about what happened on the train trip on which he and other foreign Jews are deported?
7. Why were tears of joy shed by some prisoners inside the barracks?
8. Describe the routine in the camp, Birkenau.
9. What happens to the prisoners when they first go into the barracks at Birkenau?
10. What is the musical expression described in chapter 6?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)