|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Birkenau, what did a fellow prisoner tell Wiesel and his father to do?
(b) Keep their eyes averted downward at all times.
(c) Lie about their ages.
(d) Be sure to tell the truth about their ages.
2. What did Wiesel believe when he and his father were sent to the right after telling their ages to the officer at Birkenau?
(a) He thought they would be shot immediately.
(b) He believed they were being sent to the crematory.
(c) He thought they were in the fortunate group.
(d) He believed that he and his father would be separated.
3. What was the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams in Chapter 2?
(a) They tried to comfort her.
(b) They peeked through the bars but saw nothing.
(c) They threatened to throw her from the train.
(d) They ignored her.
4. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happened to life in Sighet?
(a) Life returned to normal.
(b) Virtually everyone left Sighet.
(c) The community leaders planned a large celebration.
(d) The town became crime-ridden and economically depressed.
5. In Chapter 4 why was speaking German to Wiesel at the camp so risky for a young female prisoner?
(a) She was afraid of Elie's reaction.
(b) She could have been killed for speaking German.
(c) The authorities would have realized she was Jewish.
(d) She did not know if Elie could understand her German.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what was the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
2. What was Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand in Chapter 4?
3. What color were the eyes of the man who joined the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. How did the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train in Chapter 2?
5. How old were some of the youngest from Wiesel's convoy in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how did Wiesel describe the tent leader?
2. What did the tent leader's aide want from Wiesel and what would he give in return in Chapter 4?
3. How did life deteriorate for the Jews after the Hungarian police arrested the Jewish community leaders during Passover?
4. What did Weisel want to do in the spring of 1944?
5. In Chapter 2 after arriving at the Auschwitz station, what did two men learn when they were sent to get water?
6. How were the prisoners escorted off the train cars at the end of Chapter 2?
7. How did Weisel's attitude about food change in Chapter 3?
8. What did the prisoners feel when they learned about the crematorium in Chapter 3?
9. How did Moshe's experiences during the deportation change him?
10. Why did the Jews conserve their food on the train to the concentration camp in Chapter 2?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)