|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He feels he should have repeated the question.
(b) He thinks he should have attacked the assailant.
(c) He feels he should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(d) He thinks he should have run and hid.
2. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
(a) Each Jew has a sleeping bag and provisions.
(b) The conditions are crowded and hot.
(c) There are games and a victrola.
(d) There is a seating and sleeping area.
3. After tiring of her screams, what do the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
(a) The men continue to ignore her outbursts.
(b) They gag her, tie her up, and hit her in the head.
(c) The men promise to put out the fire.
(d) They sit on her.
4. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
(b) Firing squad.
(d) Prisoners forced into the chimney.
5. How does Elie know Madame Schachter so well?
(a) She is sitting next to him during the long train trip.
(b) She is his aunt.
(c) She is his teacher.
(d) She often visited his family's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
2. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
3. How do others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
4. What is the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams?
5. How do the people of Sighet regard Elie's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does what Elie witnesses at the crematory at Birkenau affect him?
2. Elie's father dismisses the yellow star and the meaning of it by stating that no one ever died from it. Does Elie agree with his father's statement? Do you agree with his father's statement?
3. Does Night have a happy ending?
4. How do the people of Sighet get the information about the Moshe and the other foreign Jews who were deported?
5. What do the Jews see and smell as they get off the train at Birkenau?
6. How does Elie keep his father from being taken from the wagon in which they are being transported to the concentration camp?
7. Who is the only victim of the air raid in chapter 5?
8. Why is it odd that Elie prays in chapter 6?
9. According to Moshe, what is the truth about what happened on the train trip on which he and other foreign Jews are deported?
10. How does Elie's react to the two executions he witnesses in Birkenau in chapter 5?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)