|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Wiesel return the knife and spoon to his father in Chapter 5?
(a) It reinforced the fact that his father was not selected.
(b) His father needed them to work in the kitchen.
(c) It continued the secret code between father and son.
(d) His father needed something to remind him of Elie until the result of his selection occurs.
2. Why were there 100 passengers crowded together as they traveled in Chapter 6?
(a) There were more prisoners to transport.
(b) There were fewer conveyances to carry the prisoners.
(c) There were fewer guards for the prisoners.
(d) The prisoners were so thin.
3. In Chapter 5, what happened when Dr. Mengele called out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Wiesel's number was called.
(b) Wiesel's father's number was called.
(c) Both Wiesel and his father were called.
(d) Neither Wiesel nor his father was called.
4. In Chapter 5, what did the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
(a) Thick soup.
(b) A crust of bread.
(c) Nothing--their religion prohibits them from eating on this day.
(d) Nothing--they were being punished for observing a Jewish holiday.
5. What happened to Zalman in Chapter 6 when he collapsed with a stomachache?
(a) Medics carried him on a stretcher.
(b) He was trampled by other prisoners.
(c) Wiesel picked him up and helped him run.
(d) He was shot.
6. In Chapter 5, how did the Rosh Hashanah service end?
7. How many prisoners gathered on the eve of Rosh Hashanah in Chapter 5?
8. How did "selection" work?
(a) The authorities randomly selected the numbers of prisoners for new jobs.
(b) The prisoners had to pass tests that demonstrate that they were healthy and strong.
(c) The authorities selected a certain group of numbers to be released.
(d) The authorities did not share the process of selecting new prisoners for the camp.
9. What did Wiesel's father ask Wiesel to do for him when they were in the concentration camp in Chapter 8?
(a) Let him die in the snow.
(b) Try to steal medicine.
(d) Beg the guards to take him to the crematory.
10. What was Wiesel's feeling about the scene after the workman throws the bread in Chapter 7?
11. In Chapter 8, why did the prisoners feel this way about the chimney at this point in the story?
(a) They resented the way they were treated.
(b) They were too grief-stricken to realize this was how their lives would end.
(c) They were afraid to die in that way.
(d) They did not have the strength to care.
12. What happened to prisoners who were selected?
(a) Those selected were released from camp, then shot.
(b) The prisoners were required to begin their new jobs immediately.
(c) They were sent to the crematory.
(d) The new prisoners had to take care of the chimney.
13. What did Wiesel do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
(a) He joined with the others in offering praise.
(b) He criticized God.
(c) He loudly criticized those who were praising.
(d) He was the prayer leader.
14. In Chapter 6, what happened to men who fell to the ground when they were being evacuated?
(a) Medics attended to them.
(b) They got up and ran again.
(c) They were shot.
(d) They were dragged along by other prisoners.
15. What happened after the round of selection in which Wiesel's father's number was called in Chapter 5?
(a) Elie's father was selected.
(b) Elie's father began his new job in the kitchen.
(c) Elie's father was to be released from the camp.
(d) Elie's father was not selected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reaction of the person Wiesel spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
2. When the prisoners found out that they could have soup, what was their reaction in Chapter 8?
3. Who did Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
4. Why did Wiesel not fast on Yom Kippur in Chapter 5?
5. After Rabbi Elichou asked Wiesel about his son in Chapter 6, what did Wiesel remember?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)