|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the condition of the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village as they traveled to the concentration camp?
2. What did Elie pray for regarding the actions of Rabbi Elichou's son upon remembering his actions?
(a) Elie did not want to be like him.
(b) Elie prayed to be spiritual.
(c) Elie prayed for medical skills so he could help others.
(d) Elie prayed that the son's actions would not cause the rabbi's death.
3. What was the weather like at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) It was snowing.
(b) It was sunny.
(c) It was raining.
(d) Icy wind was blowing.
4. What did the person who Elie found in a pile of bodies do as Elie fell asleep?
(a) Played his violin.
(b) Sang Jewish folk songs.
(c) Told stories.
(d) Prayed aloud.
5. In Chapter 7, when Wiesel awoke, what was the condition of his father?
(a) Resting comfortably.
(b) Close to death.
(c) Sleeping restlessly.
(d) Sleeping soundly.
6. What happened after the round of selection in which Wiesel's father's number was called in Chapter 5?
(a) Elie's father was selected.
(b) Elie's father was to be released from the camp.
(c) Elie's father was not selected.
(d) Elie's father began his new job in the kitchen.
7. In particular, what part of the occurrence that Wiesel witnessed later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners caused his reaction?
(a) He noticed one of the homeless people pull a knife.
(b) He saw a prison guard strike the prisoner to the ground.
(c) One of the children looked like a friend he knew at Buchenwald.
(d) Two children were trying to strangle each other for coins.
8. What could Wiesel do when rumors started that the Russians were approaching the camp in Chapter 5?
(a) He could set out on his own and risk being shot.
(b) He could join the Russian army.
(c) He could stay behind in the hospital with his father or he could evacuate with the rest of the prisoners.
(d) He could hide in an air raid shelter until the Russians left the camp.
9. What scene similar to that of the workman throwing the bread to the prisoners did Wiesel witness later in life?
(a) Children pushing and shoving to pick up candy thrown by a street performer.
(b) Guards stoning a prisoner at a penitentiary.
(c) A group of homeless people drawing straws to see who gets a threadbare scarf.
(d) People diving and fighting for coins thrown by passengers of a boat.
10. Why did Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He wanted to get away from his father.
(b) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
(c) He wanted to be a rabbi like his father.
(d) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
11. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Wiesel by his father in Chapter 5?
(a) It was a secret code between Elie and his father.
(b) It meant there would be a prayer meeting that night behind the kitchen.
(c) It shows how little they had.
(d) It meant Elie's father now worked in the kitchen.
12. As the prisoners took refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where did Elie find himself?
(a) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
(b) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(c) Buried in a snowpile.
(d) Lying under a collapsed wall.
13. How did Wiesel's father fare in the first round of the selection process in Chapter 5?
(a) He was to be released from the camp.
(b) He was not selected.
(c) He was selected.
(d) He began his new job in the kitchen.
14. In Chapter 6, what did Wiesel say when Rabbi Elichou asked if Wiesel had seen his son?
(a) Wiesel did not say anything; he just shrugged.
(b) Wiesel said he had not seen the son.
(c) Wiesel told him that he saw the medics helping him.
(d) Wiesel told him that he saw his son sleeping by a wall.
15. How many prisoners gathered on the eve of Rosh Hashanah in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Wiesel and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 5, how did the Rosh Hashanah service end?
3. When the prisoners found out that they could have soup, what was their reaction in Chapter 8?
4. What happened to Zalman in Chapter 6 when he collapsed with a stomachache?
5. After the war, what did Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp in Chapter 5?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)