Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
(a) His friend, Juliek.
(b) Rabbi Elichou.
(c) His friend, Zalman.
(d) Rabbi Elichou's son.
2. In particular, what part of the occurrence which Elie witnesses later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners causes his reaction?
(a) Two children are trying to strangle each other for coins.
(b) One of the children looks like a friend he knew at Buchenwald.
(c) He notices one of the homeless people pull a knife.
(d) He sees a prison guard strike the prisoner to the ground.
3. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
(a) He knows he is strong and healthy so he is not concerned.
(b) He doesn't want to begin a new job.
(c) He is worried.
(d) He refuses to take part.
4. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
(a) It is amputated.
(b) It swells.
(c) It is severely injured at work.
(d) It is broken during a fight.
5. What happens on the morning of January 29, 1945?
(a) Elie believes his father is dead.
(b) Elie sees his father taken to the crematory.
(c) The camp is liberated by the Americans.
(d) The prisoners are evacuated again.
6. How is Elie's father treated by the other prisoners in Chapter 8?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They beat him.
(c) They sneak food and medicine for him.
(d) They hide him from the guards.
7. How does "selection" work?
(a) The authorities randomly select the numbers of prisoners for new jobs.
(b) The authorities do not share the process of selecting new prisoners for the camp.
(c) The prisoners have to pass tests which demonstrate that they are healthy and strong.
(d) The authorities select a certain group of numbers to be released.
8. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Elie's father's number is called.
(b) Elie's number is called.
(c) Both Elie and his father are called.
(d) Neither Elie nor his father is called.
9. What does Elie pray for regarding the actions of Rabbi Elichou's son upon remembering his actions?
(a) Elie prays for medical skills so he can help others.
(b) Elie prays to be spiritual.
(c) Elie prays that the son's actions don't cause the rabbi's death.
(d) Elie doesn't want to be like him.
10. What does Elie think about when he wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
(b) His father.
(c) Getting more blankets.
(d) Stealing medicine.
11. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
(a) Lying under a collapsed wall.
(b) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(c) Buried in a snowpile.
(d) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
12. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
(a) He withholds his food and water,
(b) He ignores him.
(c) He makes Elie's father clean the block.
(d) He beats him.
13. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
(a) A tornado.
(b) A tidal wave.
(c) A whirlpool.
(d) A waterspout.
14. What happens while Elie and his father are talking about the request his father makes?
(a) Elie's father dies.
(b) The Russian army returns.
(c) The air raid sirens wail.
(d) Guards take Elie's father away.
15. What does the author show about pain and suffering, particularly in chapter 8?
(a) Pain and suffering help to build character.
(b) Pain and suffering are better than death because at least you are still living.
(c) They will always exist.
(d) Pain and suffering can be worse than death.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of chapter 8, what is the frame of mind of Elie's father?
2. In chapter 7, when Elie wakes up as he is transported with the other prisoners to the concentration camp, what is happening to him?
3. What is the reaction of the person Elie spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
4. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
5. How does Elie respond to his father's request at the concentration camp?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)