|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Elie's father treated by the other prisoners in Chapter 8?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They sneak food and medicine for him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They hide him from the guards.
2. Why does Elie return the knife and spoon to his father?
(a) His father needs them to work in the kitchen.
(b) It reinforces the fact that his father was not selected.
(c) It continues the secret code between father and son.
(d) His father needs something to remind him of Elie until the result of his selection occurs.
3. Why is the event on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village occurring?
(a) Elie doesn't know.
(b) Elie is selected.
(c) He is accused of stealing food.
(d) Bodies are piled on top of him.
4. What realization does Elie come to when he remembers the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
(a) His medical training is crucial in this situation.
(b) He has no control of his own actions.
(c) The rabbi's son thinks he has a better chance of survival if he is separated from his father.
(d) The rabbi's son is a caring, spiritual person.
5. How does Elie's father fare in the first round of the selection process?
(a) He begins his new job in the kitchen.
(b) He is selected.
(c) He is not selected.
(d) He is to be released from the camp.
6. Why does Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He wants to get away from his father.
(b) He wants to be a rabbi like his father.
(c) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
(d) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
7. Why are there 100 passengers crowded together as they travel in chapter 6?
(a) There are more prisoners to transport.
(b) The prisoners are so thin.
(c) There are fewer conveyances to carry the prisoners.
(d) There are fewer guards for the prisoners.
8. In chapter 7, to what does Elie compare humans?
(a) Beasts of prey.
(b) Guinea pigs.
(d) Canaries in a coal mine.
9. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
(a) It shows how little they have.
(b) It is a secret code between Elie and his father.
(c) It means Elie's father now works in the kitchen.
(d) It means there will be a prayer meeting tonight behind the kitchen.
10. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
(b) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
(c) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(d) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
11. What does Elie struggle to do when he finds himself in the deserted village?
(a) Steal a gun.
12. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
(a) It is severely injured at work.
(b) It swells.
(c) It is broken during a fight.
(d) It is amputated.
13. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
(a) He finds that his father's possessions are gone.
(b) His father has not been selected.
(c) His father has been selected.
(d) He finds a note from his father.
14. What do Elie and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp?
(a) They choose to hide in an air raid shelter.
(b) Elie chooses to join the Russian army.
(c) They choose to remain in the hospital.
(d) They choose to evacuate.
15. What does Elie find in the morning at the deserted village?
(a) Rabbi Elichou's son is dead.
(b) Zalman is dead.
(c) Juliek is dead.
(d) Rabbi Elichou is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
2. What can Elie do when rumors start that the Russians are approaching the camp?
3. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
4. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
5. Who does Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)