|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the war, what does Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp?
(a) Anyone who remained in camp was taken prisoner by the Russians.
(b) The Russians liberated those in the hospital two days after the evacuation.
(c) The Russians never entered the camp.
(d) The camp authorities massacred everyone who remained in camp.
2. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
(a) A whirlpool.
(b) A waterspout.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A tidal wave.
3. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
(a) Hide his injury.
(b) Have surgery.
(c) Go through the selection process again.
(d) Plead with the doctor to keep his injury a secret.
4. What do Elie and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp?
(a) They choose to hide in an air raid shelter.
(b) Elie chooses to join the Russian army.
(c) They choose to remain in the hospital.
(d) They choose to evacuate.
5. What does Elie find in the morning at the deserted village?
(a) Zalman is dead.
(b) Rabbi Elichou is dead.
(c) Juliek is dead.
(d) Rabbi Elichou's son is dead.
6. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Both Elie and his father are called.
(b) Neither Elie nor his father is called.
(c) Elie's number is called.
(d) Elie's father's number is called.
7. What can Elie do when rumors start that the Russians are approaching the camp?
(a) He can set out on his own and risk being shot.
(b) He can join the Russian army.
(c) He can hide in an air raid shelter until the Russians have left the camp.
(d) He can stay behind in the hospital with his father or he can evacuate with the rest of the prisoners.
8. In what condition is Elie's father when Elie wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
(a) Sleeping soundly.
(d) Very sick.
9. In chapter 6, in yet another selection process, what happens to Eli's father?
(a) He begins a new job in the hospital.
(b) Elie's father is not selected.
(c) He is forced to tend the chimney.
(d) Elie's father is selected.
10. What does Meir Katz, another prisoner, do when Elie calls for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) A man who tries to take Elie from the wagon.
(b) He helps Elie.
(c) The rabbi who prays for Elie.
(d) A guard who helps Elie.
11. At the end of chapter 6, how are the prisoners forced to travel?
(a) Cattle car.
(b) Passenger train car.
(d) Hay wagon.
12. What does the person who Elie finds in a pile of bodies do as Elie falls asleep?
(a) Plays his violin.
(b) Prays aloud.
(c) Tells stories.
(d) Sings Jewish folk songs.
13. In chapter 7, to what does Elie compare humans?
(a) Guinea pigs.
(b) Beasts of prey.
(d) Canaries in a coal mine.
14. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
(a) Buried in a snowpile.
(b) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(c) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
(d) Lying under a collapsed wall.
15. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
(a) He refuses to take part.
(b) He doesn't want to begin a new job.
(c) He knows he is strong and healthy so he is not concerned.
(d) He is worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Elie have toward Rabbi Elichou's son?
2. What thought troubles Elie for the rest of his life?
3. What realization does Elie come to when he remembers the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
4. Why are there 100 passengers crowded together as they travel in chapter 6?
5. How does "selection" work?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)