|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elie do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
(a) He criticizes God.
(b) He joins with the others in offering praise.
(c) He loudly criticizes those who are praising.
(d) He is the prayer leader.
2. In chapter 7, where are the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village being transported to?
(d) Back to Auschwitz.
3. Why doesn't Elie fast on Yom Kippur?
(a) The doctor says he will starve to death if he fasts.
(b) He is too hungry.
(c) He is rebelling against God.
(d) He joins the other prisoners in their refusal to fast.
4. What does Elie find in the morning at the deserted village?
(a) Rabbi Elichou's son is dead.
(b) Rabbi Elichou is dead.
(c) Zalman is dead.
(d) Juliek is dead.
5. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
(a) His father has been selected.
(b) His father has not been selected.
(c) He finds a note from his father.
(d) He finds that his father's possessions are gone.
6. When the prisoners find out that they can have soup, what is their reaction?
(a) They draw straws to decide who gets it.
(b) They are too tired to care.
(c) They fight over it.
(d) They eagerly devour the soup.
7. What is Elie's reaction when he realizes his father is dead?
(a) He curses his captors.
(b) He doesn't cry.
(c) He cries hysterically.
(d) He tries to commit suicide.
8. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
(a) Have surgery.
(b) Hide his injury.
(c) Plead with the doctor to keep his injury a secret.
(d) Go through the selection process again.
9. What can Elie do when rumors start that the Russians are approaching the camp?
(a) He can join the Russian army.
(b) He can hide in an air raid shelter until the Russians have left the camp.
(c) He can set out on his own and risk being shot.
(d) He can stay behind in the hospital with his father or he can evacuate with the rest of the prisoners.
10. In chapter 6, why are the prisoners running when they are evacuated?
(a) The SS officers order them to run.
(b) The are trying to keep warm.
(c) There is a thunderstorm approaching.
(d) They are running away from the Russian army.
11. Who does Elie call for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) No one.
(c) A guard.
(d) His father.
12. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
(a) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
(b) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(c) Lying under a collapsed wall.
(d) Buried in a snowpile.
13. What does the author show about pain and suffering, particularly in chapter 8?
(a) Pain and suffering are better than death because at least you are still living.
(b) Pain and suffering can be worse than death.
(c) Pain and suffering help to build character.
(d) They will always exist.
14. After Rabbi Elichou asks Elie about his son, what does Elie remember about the son?
(a) He was helping other prisoners.
(b) His son was running ahead.
(c) He was trampling fallen prisoners.
(d) He was praying over dead bodies.
15. How is Elie's father treated by the other prisoners in Chapter 8?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They beat him.
(c) They sneak food and medicine for him.
(d) They hide him from the guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does "selection" work?
2. What is the responsibility of the men who clear out the wagons?
3. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
4. What is the workman's reaction as he watches the prisoners after he gives them the bread?
5. In chapter 7, when Elie wakes up, what is the condition of his father?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)