|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Wiesel's feelings about selection in Chapter 5?
(a) He knew he was strong and healthy, so he was not concerned.
(b) He refused to take part.
(c) He was worried.
(d) He did not want to begin a new job.
2. How did the living feel when the corpses were thrown off the train in Chapter 7?
3. What happened to Zalman in Chapter 6 when he collapsed with a stomachache?
(a) Medics carried him on a stretcher.
(b) He was shot.
(c) He was trampled by other prisoners.
(d) Wiesel picked him up and helped him run.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what was Wiesel's father's frame of mind?
(a) He was giving up on life.
(b) He was insane.
(c) He was desperate for Elie to survive.
(d) He was extremely angry.
5. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(b) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
(c) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
(d) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
6. How many corpses were thrown from the wagon in Chapter 7?
7. What could Wiesel do when rumors started that the Russians were approaching the camp in Chapter 5?
(a) He could join the Russian army.
(b) He could set out on his own and risk being shot.
(c) He could hide in an air raid shelter until the Russians left the camp.
(d) He could stay behind in the hospital with his father or he could evacuate with the rest of the prisoners.
8. Why did Wiesel return the knife and spoon to his father in Chapter 5?
(a) His father needed them to work in the kitchen.
(b) His father needed something to remind him of Elie until the result of his selection occurs.
(c) It reinforced the fact that his father was not selected.
(d) It continued the secret code between father and son.
9. What filled the prisoners' brains at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Whirlwind of memories.
(b) Lots of regrets.
10. At the end of Chapter 6, how were the prisoners forced to travel?
(b) Passenger train car.
(c) Hay wagon.
(d) Cattle car.
11. What happened after the round of selection in which Wiesel's father's number was called in Chapter 5?
(a) Elie's father was to be released from the camp.
(b) Elie's father was not selected.
(c) Elie's father was selected.
(d) Elie's father began his new job in the kitchen.
12. What was the responsibility of the men who cleared out the wagons?
(a) They rotated the prisoners between the wagons.
(b) They scoured the wagons with boiling water.
(c) They took out the dead and burried them.
(d) They repaired the wagons.
13. What time did the bell ring at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) 7 p.m.
(b) 5 p.m.
(c) 8 p.m.
(d) 6 p.m.
14. What happened to prisoners who were selected?
(a) The prisoners were required to begin their new jobs immediately.
(b) They were sent to the crematory.
(c) The new prisoners had to take care of the chimney.
(d) Those selected were released from camp, then shot.
15. What was Wiesel's feeling about the scene after the workman throws the bread in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the weather like at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. How many prisoners gathered on the eve of Rosh Hashanah in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 7, when Wiesel woke up as he was transported with the other prisoners to the concentration camp, what was happening to him?
4. In Chapter 6, in yet another selection process, what happened to Eli's father?
5. After the war, what did Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp in Chapter 5?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)