|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does "selection" work?
(a) The authorities select a certain group of numbers to be released.
(b) The authorities do not share the process of selecting new prisoners for the camp.
(c) The authorities randomly select the numbers of prisoners for new jobs.
(d) The prisoners have to pass tests which demonstrate that they are healthy and strong.
2. What thought troubles Elie for the rest of his life?
(a) Thinking about food instead of his father.
(b) Stealing blankets from freezing children.
(c) Hoping he wouldn't find his father alive.
(d) Stealing medicine from those who need it.
3. At the end of chapter 6, how are the prisoners forced to travel?
(a) Passenger train car.
(c) Hay wagon.
(d) Cattle car.
4. Why does Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He wants to be a rabbi like his father.
(b) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
(c) He wants to get away from his father.
(d) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
5. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
(a) Have surgery.
(b) Go through the selection process again.
(c) Plead with the doctor to keep his injury a secret.
(d) Hide his injury.
6. What feeling does Elie have toward Rabbi Elichou's son?
7. Why doesn't Elie fast on Yom Kippur?
(a) The doctor says he will starve to death if he fasts.
(b) He joins the other prisoners in their refusal to fast.
(c) He is too hungry.
(d) He is rebelling against God.
8. What do Elie and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp?
(a) Elie chooses to join the Russian army.
(b) They choose to hide in an air raid shelter.
(c) They choose to remain in the hospital.
(d) They choose to evacuate.
9. What does Meir Katz, another prisoner, do when Elie calls for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) A man who tries to take Elie from the wagon.
(b) He helps Elie.
(c) The rabbi who prays for Elie.
(d) A guard who helps Elie.
10. How does Elie's father fare in the first round of the selection process?
(a) He is to be released from the camp.
(b) He begins his new job in the kitchen.
(c) He is not selected.
(d) He is selected.
11. Why does Elie return the knife and spoon to his father?
(a) His father needs them to work in the kitchen.
(b) His father needs something to remind him of Elie until the result of his selection occurs.
(c) It continues the secret code between father and son.
(d) It reinforces the fact that his father was not selected.
12. Who does Elie call for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) No one.
(c) A guard.
(d) His father.
13. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
(a) Thick soup.
(b) A crust of bread.
(c) Nothing-they were being punished for observing a Jewish holiday.
(d) Nothing-their religion prohibits them from eating on this day.
14. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He makes Elie's father clean the block.
(c) He beats him.
(d) He withholds his food and water,
15. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Elie's father's number is called.
(b) Neither Elie nor his father is called.
(c) Elie's number is called.
(d) Both Elie and his father are called.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who Elie finds in a pile of bodies do as Elie falls asleep?
2. What does Elie think about when he wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
3. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
4. Why is the event on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village occurring?
5. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)