|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, in the early dawn light how much of a difference was there between the living and the dead?
(a) No difference.
(b) The dead were beginning to smell.
(c) The dead were gray, and the living were white.
(d) Barely a difference.
2. What happened when Wiesel wanted to sleep in the snow?
(a) His father covered him with a tattered blanket.
(b) His father kept him awake.
(c) He got frostbite.
(d) An SS officer threatened to shoot him.
3. What time did the bell ring at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) 5 p.m.
(b) 6 p.m.
(c) 7 p.m.
(d) 8 p.m.
4. What was the weather like at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) It was sunny.
(b) It was snowing.
(c) Icy wind was blowing.
(d) It was raining.
5. By Chapter 8, how did the existence of the chimney affect the prisoners in Chapter 8?
(a) They felt fear and terror.
(b) They felt grief and depression.
(c) They no longer noticed it.
(d) They felt anger and hatred.
6. What happened to Zalman in Chapter 6 when he collapsed with a stomachache?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He was trampled by other prisoners.
(c) Wiesel picked him up and helped him run.
(d) Medics carried him on a stretcher.
7. Why did Wiesel not fast on Yom Kippur in Chapter 5?
(a) He joined the other prisoners in their refusal to fast.
(b) The doctor said he would starve to death if he fasted.
(c) He was too hungry.
(d) He was rebelling against God.
8. What realization did Elie come to when he remembered the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
(a) His medical training was crucial in this situation.
(b) The rabbi's son was a caring, spiritual person.
(c) He had no control of his own actions.
(d) The rabbi's son thought he had a better chance of survival if he was separated from his father.
9. What did the person who Elie found in a pile of bodies do as Elie fell asleep?
(a) Played his violin.
(b) Prayed aloud.
(c) Told stories.
(d) Sang Jewish folk songs.
10. After Rabbi Elichou asked Wiesel about his son in Chapter 6, what did Wiesel remember?
(a) That the Rabbi's son was running ahead to get away from his father.
(b) That the Rabbi's son was praying.
(c) That the Rabbi's son was trampling fallen prisoners.
(d) That the Rabbi's son was helping other prisoners.
11. How many corpses were thrown from the wagon in Chapter 7?
12. Why did Wiesel's father make the request he did at the concentration camp in Chapter 8?
(a) He was exhausted.
(b) He wanted to be with his wife and daughter.
(c) He wanted Wiesel to have a chance for survival.
(d) He desperately needed medicine.
13. How dark or light was the night at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Bright as day.
(b) Hazy with a half moon.
(d) Full moon.
14. Who did Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
(a) His friend, Juliek.
(b) His friend, Zalman.
(c) Rabbi Elichou's son.
(d) Rabbi Elichou.
15. What did Wiesel and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp in Chapter 5?
(a) They chose to hide in an air raid shelter.
(b) They chose to evacuate.
(c) Elie chose to join the Russian army.
(d) They chose to remain in the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what happened to men who fell to the ground when they were being evacuated?
2. What scene similar to that of the workman throwing the bread to the prisoners did Wiesel witness later in life?
3. What happened while Wiesel and his father were talking about the request his father made?
4. What did Wiesel's father ask Wiesel to do for him when they were in the concentration camp in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 5, what happened to Wiesel's leg?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)