|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
(a) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(b) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
(c) Lying under a collapsed wall.
(d) Buried in a snowpile.
2. After the war, what does Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp?
(a) The Russians never entered the camp.
(b) The camp authorities massacred everyone who remained in camp.
(c) Anyone who remained in camp was taken prisoner by the Russians.
(d) The Russians liberated those in the hospital two days after the evacuation.
3. Why does Elie want to trade bunks with other prisoners after he wakes up and discovers his father's condition?
(a) Elie's bunk is broken.
(b) He wants to be close to his father.
(c) Elie wants a top bunk.
(d) The prisoners in the bunks next to Elie are bullies.
4. How does Elie's father fare in the first round of the selection process?
(a) He begins his new job in the kitchen.
(b) He is to be released from the camp.
(c) He is selected.
(d) He is not selected.
5. Why does Elie return the knife and spoon to his father?
(a) It continues the secret code between father and son.
(b) His father needs something to remind him of Elie until the result of his selection occurs.
(c) It reinforces the fact that his father was not selected.
(d) His father needs them to work in the kitchen.
6. What feeling does Elie have toward Rabbi Elichou's son?
7. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
(a) He makes Elie's father clean the block.
(b) He withholds his food and water,
(c) He beats him.
(d) He ignores him.
8. Who does Elie call for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) No one.
(b) A guard.
(c) His father.
9. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
(a) Elie's father is selected.
(b) Elie's father is not selected.
(c) Elie's father begins his new job in the kitchen.
(d) Elie's father is to be released from the camp.
10. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
(a) It shows how little they have.
(b) It is a secret code between Elie and his father.
(c) It means there will be a prayer meeting tonight behind the kitchen.
(d) It means Elie's father now works in the kitchen.
11. What do Elie and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp?
(a) They choose to remain in the hospital.
(b) Elie chooses to join the Russian army.
(c) They choose to hide in an air raid shelter.
(d) They choose to evacuate.
12. Why are there 100 passengers crowded together as they travel in chapter 6?
(a) The prisoners are so thin.
(b) There are fewer conveyances to carry the prisoners.
(c) There are more prisoners to transport.
(d) There are fewer guards for the prisoners.
13. What can Elie do when rumors start that the Russians are approaching the camp?
(a) He can set out on his own and risk being shot.
(b) He can stay behind in the hospital with his father or he can evacuate with the rest of the prisoners.
(c) He can hide in an air raid shelter until the Russians have left the camp.
(d) He can join the Russian army.
14. How does "selection" work?
(a) The authorities do not share the process of selecting new prisoners for the camp.
(b) The prisoners have to pass tests which demonstrate that they are healthy and strong.
(c) The authorities randomly select the numbers of prisoners for new jobs.
(d) The authorities select a certain group of numbers to be released.
15. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
(a) His father has been selected.
(b) His father has not been selected.
(c) He finds that his father's possessions are gone.
(d) He finds a note from his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elie do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
2. In chapter 6, in yet another selection process, what happens to Eli's father?
3. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
4. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
5. What does the person who Elie finds in a pile of bodies do as Elie falls asleep?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)