|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Wiesel not fast on Yom Kippur in Chapter 5?
(a) He joined the other prisoners in their refusal to fast.
(b) The doctor said he would starve to death if he fasted.
(c) He was rebelling against God.
(d) He was too hungry.
2. How dark or light was the night at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Full moon.
(c) Bright as day.
(d) Hazy with a half moon.
3. In Chapter 6, what happened to men who fell to the ground when they were being evacuated?
(a) They were shot.
(b) They got up and ran again.
(c) Medics attended to them.
(d) They were dragged along by other prisoners.
4. When a workman threw a piece of bread to the prisoners, how did the prisoners react in Chapter 7?
(a) They drew straws to see who got the bread.
(b) They fought over it.
(c) They threw it back at the workman.
(d) They were too weak and indifferent to care.
5. In Chapter 6, what did Wiesel say when Rabbi Elichou asked if Wiesel had seen his son?
(a) Wiesel told him that he saw the medics helping him.
(b) Wiesel did not say anything; he just shrugged.
(c) Wiesel told him that he saw his son sleeping by a wall.
(d) Wiesel said he had not seen the son.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what was Wiesel's father's frame of mind?
(a) He was extremely angry.
(b) He was desperate for Elie to survive.
(c) He was giving up on life.
(d) He was insane.
7. What filled the prisoners' brains at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Whirlwind of memories.
(c) Lots of regrets.
8. What was the responsibility of the men who cleared out the wagons?
(a) They scoured the wagons with boiling water.
(b) They repaired the wagons.
(c) They took out the dead and burried them.
(d) They rotated the prisoners between the wagons.
9. What did Elie struggle to do when he found himself in the deserted village?
(a) Steal a gun.
10. In Chapter 5, what happened when Dr. Mengele called out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Wiesel's father's number was called.
(b) Both Wiesel and his father were called.
(c) Neither Wiesel nor his father was called.
(d) Wiesel's number was called.
11. What did Wisel wonder about on the morning of January 29, 1945?
(a) What took the Americans so long to liberate the camp.
(b) If his father was still alive when he was taken to the crematory.
(c) Where they were being evacuated to.
(d) Where he would go now that he was free.
12. What did the SS officers call the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Flea-ridden dogs.
(d) Flea-bitten corpses.
13. In Chapter 7, when Wiesel awoke, what was the condition of his father?
(a) Sleeping soundly.
(b) Close to death.
(c) Sleeping restlessly.
(d) Resting comfortably.
14. What did Wiesel need to do because of his leg in Chapter 5?
(a) Have surgery.
(b) Plead with the doctor to keep his injury a secret.
(c) Hide his injury.
(d) Go through the selection process again.
15. Why were there 100 passengers crowded together as they traveled in Chapter 6?
(a) There were fewer guards for the prisoners.
(b) There were fewer conveyances to carry the prisoners.
(c) The prisoners were so thin.
(d) There were more prisoners to transport.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the person who Elie found in a pile of bodies do as Elie fell asleep?
2. What happened to Zalman in Chapter 6 when he collapsed with a stomachache?
3. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Wiesel by his father in Chapter 5?
4. After the war, what did Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 5, how did the Rosh Hashanah service end?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)