|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
(a) Those selected are released from camp, then shot.
(b) They are sent to the crematory.
(c) The prisoners are required to begin their new jobs immediately.
(d) The new prisoners must take care of the chimney.
2. Why doesn't Elie fast on Yom Kippur?
(a) The doctor says he will starve to death if he fasts.
(b) He is too hungry.
(c) He is rebelling against God.
(d) He joins the other prisoners in their refusal to fast.
3. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
(a) He finds that his father's possessions are gone.
(b) His father has not been selected.
(c) His father has been selected.
(d) He finds a note from his father.
4. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
(a) He makes Elie's father clean the block.
(b) He withholds his food and water,
(c) He beats him.
(d) He ignores him.
5. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
(a) Plead with the doctor to keep his injury a secret.
(b) Have surgery.
(c) Hide his injury.
(d) Go through the selection process again.
6. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
(a) Nothing-they were being punished for observing a Jewish holiday.
(b) A crust of bread.
(c) Nothing-their religion prohibits them from eating on this day.
(d) Thick soup.
7. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
(a) He doesn't want to begin a new job.
(b) He refuses to take part.
(c) He knows he is strong and healthy so he is not concerned.
(d) He is worried.
8. How does Elie's father fare in the first round of the selection process?
(a) He is not selected.
(b) He is to be released from the camp.
(c) He is selected.
(d) He begins his new job in the kitchen.
9. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
(a) Lying under a collapsed wall.
(b) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
(c) Buried in a snowpile.
(d) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
10. What realization does Elie come to when he remembers the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
(a) The rabbi's son is a caring, spiritual person.
(b) His medical training is crucial in this situation.
(c) He has no control of his own actions.
(d) The rabbi's son thinks he has a better chance of survival if he is separated from his father.
11. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
(a) A waterspout.
(b) A whirlpool.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A tidal wave.
12. What feeling does Elie have toward Rabbi Elichou's son?
13. In chapter 6, in yet another selection process, what happens to Eli's father?
(a) Elie's father is selected.
(b) He is forced to tend the chimney.
(c) Elie's father is not selected.
(d) He begins a new job in the hospital.
14. Why does Elie want to trade bunks with other prisoners after he wakes up and discovers his father's condition?
(a) He wants to be close to his father.
(b) Elie's bunk is broken.
(c) Elie wants a top bunk.
(d) The prisoners in the bunks next to Elie are bullies.
15. Who does Elie call for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) A guard.
(b) No one.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
2. Why is the event on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village occurring?
3. What does Elie think about when he wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
4. Who does Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
5. What is "selection"?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)