|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, where were the prisoners being transported to?
(d) Back to Auschwitz.
2. What did the SS officers call the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(b) Flea-ridden dogs.
(c) Flea-bitten corpses.
3. In particular, what part of the occurrence that Wiesel witnessed later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners caused his reaction?
(a) Two children were trying to strangle each other for coins.
(b) One of the children looked like a friend he knew at Buchenwald.
(c) He saw a prison guard strike the prisoner to the ground.
(d) He noticed one of the homeless people pull a knife.
4. Where did a veteran of Buchenwald tell Wiesel that they would be sent at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Mess hall.
(b) Work stations.
(d) Showers and the blocks.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, in the early dawn light how much of a difference was there between the living and the dead?
(a) The dead were gray, and the living were white.
(b) No difference.
(c) Barely a difference.
(d) The dead were beginning to smell.
6. In Chapter 6, why were the prisoners running as they were evacuated?
(a) There was a storm approaching.
(b) The SS officers ordered them to run.
(c) They were trying to keep warm.
(d) They were running from the Russian army.
7. What feeling did Elie have toward Rabbi Elichou's son?
8. What happened to prisoners who were selected?
(a) They were sent to the crematory.
(b) The prisoners were required to begin their new jobs immediately.
(c) The new prisoners had to take care of the chimney.
(d) Those selected were released from camp, then shot.
9. What time did the bell ring at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) 8 p.m.
(b) 5 p.m.
(c) 7 p.m.
(d) 6 p.m.
10. What realization did Elie come to when he remembered the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
(a) The rabbi's son thought he had a better chance of survival if he was separated from his father.
(b) His medical training was crucial in this situation.
(c) He had no control of his own actions.
(d) The rabbi's son was a caring, spiritual person.
11. How did Wiesel's father fare in the first round of the selection process in Chapter 5?
(a) He was to be released from the camp.
(b) He began his new job in the kitchen.
(c) He was not selected.
(d) He was selected.
12. What did Elie find in the morning at the deserted village?
(a) Juliek was dead.
(b) Rabbi Elichou was dead.
(c) Zalman was dead.
(d) Rabbi Elichou's son was dead.
13. Who or what was waiting for the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) SS officers.
(c) Dr. Mengele.
14. How many steps forward was every prisoner instructed to take at the beginning of Chapter 8?
15. In Chapter 5, what did the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
(a) A crust of bread.
(b) Thick soup.
(c) Nothing--their religion prohibits them from eating on this day.
(d) Nothing--they were being punished for observing a Jewish holiday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
2. In Chapter 8, why did the prisoners feel this way about the chimney at this point in the story?
3. Who did Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
4. By Chapter 8, how did the existence of the chimney affect the prisoners in Chapter 8?
5. What did Wiesel's father ask Wiesel to do for him when they were in the concentration camp in Chapter 8?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)