|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elie think about when he wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
(a) His father.
(b) Getting more blankets.
(c) Stealing medicine.
2. According to Elie, what does indifference do to the spirit?
(a) Deadens it.
(b) Energizes it.
(c) Fills it.
(d) Rejuvenates it.
3. Who does Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
(a) His friend, Juliek.
(b) His friend, Zalman.
(c) Rabbi Elichou.
(d) Rabbi Elichou's son.
4. At the end of chapter 6, how are the prisoners forced to travel?
(a) Hay wagon.
(c) Passenger train car.
(d) Cattle car.
5. What thought troubles Elie for the rest of his life?
(a) Stealing medicine from those who need it.
(b) Thinking about food instead of his father.
(c) Stealing blankets from freezing children.
(d) Hoping he wouldn't find his father alive.
6. Who does Elie call for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) A guard.
(b) No one.
(c) His father.
7. In chapter 7, to what does Elie compare humans?
(b) Guinea pigs.
(c) Beasts of prey.
(d) Canaries in a coal mine.
8. What does the person who Elie finds in a pile of bodies do as Elie falls asleep?
(a) Sings Jewish folk songs.
(b) Plays his violin.
(c) Prays aloud.
(d) Tells stories.
9. What does Elie pray for regarding the actions of Rabbi Elichou's son upon remembering his actions?
(a) Elie prays that the son's actions don't cause the rabbi's death.
(b) Elie doesn't want to be like him.
(c) Elie prays for medical skills so he can help others.
(d) Elie prays to be spiritual.
10. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(b) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
(c) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
(d) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
11. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He doesn't want to begin a new job.
(c) He refuses to take part.
(d) He knows he is strong and healthy so he is not concerned.
12. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Both Elie and his father are called.
(b) Neither Elie nor his father is called.
(c) Elie's father's number is called.
(d) Elie's number is called.
13. Why are there 100 passengers crowded together as they travel in chapter 6?
(a) The prisoners are so thin.
(b) There are fewer conveyances to carry the prisoners.
(c) There are fewer guards for the prisoners.
(d) There are more prisoners to transport.
14. How does "selection" work?
(a) The authorities do not share the process of selecting new prisoners for the camp.
(b) The prisoners have to pass tests which demonstrate that they are healthy and strong.
(c) The authorities randomly select the numbers of prisoners for new jobs.
(d) The authorities select a certain group of numbers to be released.
15. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
(a) Elie's father is selected.
(b) Elie's father is to be released from the camp.
(c) Elie's father is not selected.
(d) Elie's father begins his new job in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elie return the knife and spoon to his father?
2. In what condition is Elie's father when Elie wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
3. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
4. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
5. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)