|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of chapter 8, what is the frame of mind of Elie's father?
(a) He is exremely angry.
(b) He is desperate for Elie to survive.
(c) He is insane.
(d) He is giving up on life.
2. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
(a) He withholds his food and water,
(b) He ignores him.
(c) He beats him.
(d) He makes Elie's father clean the block.
3. In chapter 7, when Elie wakes up as he is transported with the other prisoners to the concentration camp, what is happening to him?
(a) He is suffocating.
(b) Someone is choking him.
(c) Men are taking him off the wagon.
(d) He is shivering uncontrollably.
4. How does Elie respond to his father's request at the concentration camp?
(a) Elie cries bitterly.
(b) He argues with his father.
(c) Elie is speechless.
(d) He quietly accepts his request.
5. In what condition is Elie's father when Elie wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
(a) Sleeping soundly.
(c) Very sick.
6. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He doesn't want to begin a new job.
(c) He knows he is strong and healthy so he is not concerned.
(d) He refuses to take part.
7. What realization does Elie come to when he remembers the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
(a) His medical training is crucial in this situation.
(b) He has no control of his own actions.
(c) The rabbi's son thinks he has a better chance of survival if he is separated from his father.
(d) The rabbi's son is a caring, spiritual person.
8. What does Elie wonder about on the morning of January 29, 1945?
(a) If his father was still alive when he was taken to the crematory.
(b) Where they are being evacuated to.
(c) What took the Americans so long to liberate the camp.
(d) Where he will go now that he is free.
9. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
(a) His father has been selected.
(b) He finds that his father's possessions are gone.
(c) His father has not been selected.
(d) He finds a note from his father.
10. Why does Elie want to trade bunks with other prisoners after he wakes up and discovers his father's condition?
(a) The prisoners in the bunks next to Elie are bullies.
(b) He wants to be close to his father.
(c) Elie's bunk is broken.
(d) Elie wants a top bunk.
11. How is Elie's father treated by the other prisoners in Chapter 8?
(a) They hide him from the guards.
(b) They beat him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They sneak food and medicine for him.
12. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
(a) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
(b) Buried in a snowpile.
(c) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(d) Lying under a collapsed wall.
13. What happens to Zalman, Elie's acquaintance, when he collapses with a stomach ache?
(a) He is trampled by other prisoners.
(b) The medics carry him on a stretcher.
(c) He is shot.
(d) Elie picks him up and helps him run.
14. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(b) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
(c) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
(d) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
15. What is the workman's reaction as he watches the prisoners after he gives them the bread?
Short Answer Questions
1. When a workman throws a piece of bread to the prisoners, how do the prisoners react?
2. What does the author show about pain and suffering, particularly in chapter 8?
3. What is the reaction of the person Elie spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
4. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
5. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)