|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the war, what did Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp in Chapter 5?
(a) Anyone who remained in camp was taken prisoner by the Russians.
(b) The Russians never entered the camp.
(c) The Russians liberated those in the hospital two days after the evacuation.
(d) The camp authorities massacred everyone who remained in camp.
2. What was the condition of the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village as they traveled to the concentration camp?
3. Why were there 100 passengers crowded together as they traveled in Chapter 6?
(a) There were fewer guards for the prisoners.
(b) There were fewer conveyances to carry the prisoners.
(c) There were more prisoners to transport.
(d) The prisoners were so thin.
4. What happened to prisoners who were selected?
(a) The new prisoners had to take care of the chimney.
(b) Those selected were released from camp, then shot.
(c) They were sent to the crematory.
(d) The prisoners were required to begin their new jobs immediately.
5. Why did Wiesel not fast on Yom Kippur in Chapter 5?
(a) The doctor said he would starve to death if he fasted.
(b) He was too hungry.
(c) He was rebelling against God.
(d) He joined the other prisoners in their refusal to fast.
6. How many corpses were thrown from the wagon in Chapter 7?
7. What happened while Wiesel and his father were talking about the request his father made?
(a) Wisel's father died.
(b) The Russian army returned.
(c) Guards took Wiesel's father away.
(d) The air raid sirens wailed.
8. Who or what was waiting for the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(b) Dr. Mengele.
(c) SS officers.
9. As the prisoners took refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where did Elie find himself?
(a) Buried in a snowpile.
(b) Lying under a collapsed wall.
(c) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(d) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 6, how were the prisoners moving?
(a) Like deer.
(b) Like automatons.
(c) Like bumbling bears.
(d) Like robots.
11. Why did Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
(b) He wanted to get away from his father.
(c) He wanted to be a rabbi like his father.
(d) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
12. What season was ending at the beginning of Chapter 5?
13. What was the workman's reaction as he watched the prisoners after he gave them the bread in Chapter 7?
14. In Chapter 5, what did the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
(a) Nothing--they were being punished for observing a Jewish holiday.
(b) Thick soup.
(c) A crust of bread.
(d) Nothing--their religion prohibits them from eating on this day.
15. What did Elie find in the morning at the deserted village?
(a) Zalman was dead.
(b) Juliek was dead.
(c) Rabbi Elichou was dead.
(d) Rabbi Elichou's son was dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, when Wiesel awoke, what was the condition of his father?
2. In particular, what part of the occurrence that Wiesel witnessed later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners caused his reaction?
3. What was Wiesel's feeling about the scene after the workman throws the bread in Chapter 7?
4. What was the responsibility of the men who cleared out the wagons?
5. What happened when Wiesel wanted to sleep in the snow?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)