|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
(a) Nothing-their religion prohibits them from eating on this day.
(b) Nothing-they were being punished for observing a Jewish holiday.
(c) A crust of bread.
(d) Thick soup.
2. At the beginning of chapter 8, what is the frame of mind of Elie's father?
(a) He is desperate for Elie to survive.
(b) He is exremely angry.
(c) He is giving up on life.
(d) He is insane.
3. Who does Elie call for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) A guard.
(b) No one.
(d) His father.
4. What can Elie do when rumors start that the Russians are approaching the camp?
(a) He can set out on his own and risk being shot.
(b) He can join the Russian army.
(c) He can hide in an air raid shelter until the Russians have left the camp.
(d) He can stay behind in the hospital with his father or he can evacuate with the rest of the prisoners.
5. What is the responsibility of the men who clear out the wagons?
(a) They rotate the prisoners between the wagons.
(b) They scour the wagons with boiling water.
(c) They repair the wagons.
(d) They take out the dead and bury them.
6. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
(a) Lying next to a dead SS officer.
(b) Buried in a snowpile.
(c) Lying under a collapsed wall.
(d) Crushed in a pile of dying prisoners.
7. What happens when Elie wants to sleep in the snow?
(a) His father builds an indentation in the snow to keep Elie warm.
(b) His father keeps him awake.
(c) He takes a short nap.
(d) An SS officer threatens to shoot him.
8. What is the reaction of the person Elie spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) The person tries to stab Elie.
(b) The person tells Elie to mind his own business.
(c) The person completely ignores Elie.
(d) The person thinks it is an act of charity.
9. When a workman throws a piece of bread to the prisoners, how do the prisoners react?
(a) They are too weak and indifferent to care.
(b) They throw it back at the workman.
(c) They draw straws to see who gets the bread.
(d) They fight.
10. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
(a) He refuses to take part.
(b) He knows he is strong and healthy so he is not concerned.
(c) He doesn't want to begin a new job.
(d) He is worried.
11. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
(a) He makes Elie's father clean the block.
(b) He beats him.
(c) He withholds his food and water,
(d) He ignores him.
12. What is Elie's feeling about the scene after the workman throws the bread?
13. What happens to Zalman, Elie's acquaintance, when he collapses with a stomach ache?
(a) Elie picks him up and helps him run.
(b) The medics carry him on a stretcher.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is trampled by other prisoners.
14. What thought troubles Elie for the rest of his life?
(a) Hoping he wouldn't find his father alive.
(b) Stealing blankets from freezing children.
(c) Thinking about food instead of his father.
(d) Stealing medicine from those who need it.
15. What is Elie's reaction when he realizes his father is dead?
(a) He tries to commit suicide.
(b) He curses his captors.
(c) He doesn't cry.
(d) He cries hysterically.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
2. Why doesn't Elie fast on Yom Kippur?
3. What happens while Elie and his father are talking about the request his father makes?
4. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
5. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)