|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 7, when Elie wakes up as he is transported with the other prisoners to the concentration camp, what is happening to him?
(a) Someone is choking him.
(b) He is shivering uncontrollably.
(c) Men are taking him off the wagon.
(d) He is suffocating.
2. Why does Elie return the knife and spoon to his father?
(a) His father needs them to work in the kitchen.
(b) His father needs something to remind him of Elie until the result of his selection occurs.
(c) It reinforces the fact that his father was not selected.
(d) It continues the secret code between father and son.
3. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
(a) Go through the selection process again.
(b) Hide his injury.
(c) Plead with the doctor to keep his injury a secret.
(d) Have surgery.
4. In chapter 7, when Elie wakes up, what is the condition of his father?
(a) Close to death.
(b) Resting comfortably.
(c) Sleeping restlessly.
(d) Sleeping soundly.
5. In chapter 6, when Rabbi Elichou asks Elie if he has seen his son, what does Elie say?
(a) He saw the medics working on him.
(b) He stares at the rabbi speechlessly.
(c) He saw his son sleeping by a wall.
(d) He hasn't seen him.
6. What does Elie's father ask Elie to do for him when they are in the concentration camp in chapter 8?
(a) Let him die in the snow.
(c) Try to steal medicine.
(d) Beg the guards to take him to the crematory.
7. When the prisoners find out that they can have soup, what is their reaction?
(a) They fight over it.
(b) They eagerly devour the soup.
(c) They are too tired to care.
(d) They draw straws to decide who gets it.
8. At the end of chapter 6, how are the prisoners forced to travel?
(a) Cattle car.
(b) Passenger train car.
(d) Hay wagon.
9. What is Elie's reaction to the event he witnesses later in life which reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) He stares, shocked and horrified, without saying a word.
(b) He begs a participant not to do this any more.
(c) He tries to keep the children from hurting each other.
(d) He offers to give money.
10. What does Meir Katz, another prisoner, do when Elie calls for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) He helps Elie.
(b) A man who tries to take Elie from the wagon.
(c) The rabbi who prays for Elie.
(d) A guard who helps Elie.
11. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
(a) His father has been selected.
(b) He finds that his father's possessions are gone.
(c) His father has not been selected.
(d) He finds a note from his father.
12. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(b) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
(c) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
(d) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
13. Why are there 100 passengers crowded together as they travel in chapter 6?
(a) There are fewer conveyances to carry the prisoners.
(b) There are more prisoners to transport.
(c) There are fewer guards for the prisoners.
(d) The prisoners are so thin.
14. After Rabbi Elichou asks Elie about his son, what does Elie remember about the son?
(a) His son was running ahead.
(b) He was trampling fallen prisoners.
(c) He was helping other prisoners.
(d) He was praying over dead bodies.
15. What does the author show about pain and suffering, particularly in chapter 8?
(a) Pain and suffering are better than death because at least you are still living.
(b) Pain and suffering can be worse than death.
(c) They will always exist.
(d) Pain and suffering help to build character.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
2. According to Elie, what does indifference do to the spirit?
3. What does Elie do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
4. How does Elie's father fare in the first round of the selection process?
5. What realization does Elie come to when he remembers the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)