|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reaction of the person Elie spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) The person tries to stab Elie.
(b) The person thinks it is an act of charity.
(c) The person tells Elie to mind his own business.
(d) The person completely ignores Elie.
2. After Rabbi Elichou asks Elie about his son, what does Elie remember about the son?
(a) He was trampling fallen prisoners.
(b) He was praying over dead bodies.
(c) He was helping other prisoners.
(d) His son was running ahead.
3. Why are there 100 passengers crowded together as they travel in chapter 6?
(a) There are fewer guards for the prisoners.
(b) The prisoners are so thin.
(c) There are more prisoners to transport.
(d) There are fewer conveyances to carry the prisoners.
4. How does "selection" work?
(a) The prisoners have to pass tests which demonstrate that they are healthy and strong.
(b) The authorities randomly select the numbers of prisoners for new jobs.
(c) The authorities select a certain group of numbers to be released.
(d) The authorities do not share the process of selecting new prisoners for the camp.
5. What is Elie's reaction to the event he witnesses later in life which reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) He offers to give money.
(b) He begs a participant not to do this any more.
(c) He stares, shocked and horrified, without saying a word.
(d) He tries to keep the children from hurting each other.
6. Why does Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He wants to be a rabbi like his father.
(b) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
(c) He wants to get away from his father.
(d) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
7. In chapter 7, where are the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village being transported to?
(a) Back to Auschwitz.
8. What realization does Elie come to when he remembers the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
(a) The rabbi's son thinks he has a better chance of survival if he is separated from his father.
(b) His medical training is crucial in this situation.
(c) The rabbi's son is a caring, spiritual person.
(d) He has no control of his own actions.
9. What happens when Elie wants to sleep in the snow?
(a) An SS officer threatens to shoot him.
(b) His father keeps him awake.
(c) His father builds an indentation in the snow to keep Elie warm.
(d) He takes a short nap.
10. What can Elie do when rumors start that the Russians are approaching the camp?
(a) He can join the Russian army.
(b) He can stay behind in the hospital with his father or he can evacuate with the rest of the prisoners.
(c) He can set out on his own and risk being shot.
(d) He can hide in an air raid shelter until the Russians have left the camp.
11. In particular, what part of the occurrence which Elie witnesses later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners causes his reaction?
(a) Two children are trying to strangle each other for coins.
(b) One of the children looks like a friend he knew at Buchenwald.
(c) He sees a prison guard strike the prisoner to the ground.
(d) He notices one of the homeless people pull a knife.
12. Why doesn't Elie fast on Yom Kippur?
(a) The doctor says he will starve to death if he fasts.
(b) He joins the other prisoners in their refusal to fast.
(c) He is too hungry.
(d) He is rebelling against God.
13. After the war, what does Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp?
(a) The Russians never entered the camp.
(b) Anyone who remained in camp was taken prisoner by the Russians.
(c) The Russians liberated those in the hospital two days after the evacuation.
(d) The camp authorities massacred everyone who remained in camp.
14. What does Elie's father ask Elie to do for him when they are in the concentration camp in chapter 8?
(b) Try to steal medicine.
(c) Let him die in the snow.
(d) Beg the guards to take him to the crematory.
15. How is Elie's father treated by the other prisoners in Chapter 8?
(a) They hide him from the guards.
(b) They sneak food and medicine for him.
(c) They beat him.
(d) They ignore him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elie struggle to do when he finds himself in the deserted village?
2. What is the responsibility of the men who clear out the wagons?
3. What does Elie wonder about on the morning of January 29, 1945?
4. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
5. Why does Elie return the knife and spoon to his father?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)