|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of chapter 6, how are the prisoners forced to travel?
(a) Passenger train car.
(b) Cattle car.
(d) Hay wagon.
2. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
(a) It is severely injured at work.
(b) It swells.
(c) It is broken during a fight.
(d) It is amputated.
3. Who does Elie call for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) No one.
(b) His father.
(d) A guard.
4. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
(a) Have surgery.
(b) Plead with the doctor to keep his injury a secret.
(c) Hide his injury.
(d) Go through the selection process again.
5. Why does Elie want to trade bunks with other prisoners after he wakes up and discovers his father's condition?
(a) The prisoners in the bunks next to Elie are bullies.
(b) Elie wants a top bunk.
(c) Elie's bunk is broken.
(d) He wants to be close to his father.
6. What does the person who Elie finds in a pile of bodies do as Elie falls asleep?
(a) Plays his violin.
(b) Tells stories.
(c) Prays aloud.
(d) Sings Jewish folk songs.
7. Why does Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He wants to be a rabbi like his father.
(b) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
(c) He wants to get away from his father.
(d) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
8. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
(a) He makes Elie's father clean the block.
(b) He withholds his food and water,
(c) He beats him.
(d) He ignores him.
9. How is Elie's father treated by the other prisoners in Chapter 8?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They sneak food and medicine for him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They hide him from the guards.
10. In chapter 6, in yet another selection process, what happens to Eli's father?
(a) Elie's father is not selected.
(b) He begins a new job in the hospital.
(c) Elie's father is selected.
(d) He is forced to tend the chimney.
11. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
(a) Elie's father is to be released from the camp.
(b) Elie's father is not selected.
(c) Elie's father is selected.
(d) Elie's father begins his new job in the kitchen.
12. Why is the event on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village occurring?
(a) Bodies are piled on top of him.
(b) He is accused of stealing food.
(c) Elie is selected.
(d) Elie doesn't know.
13. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
(a) A tidal wave.
(b) A waterspout.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A whirlpool.
14. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
(a) His father has been selected.
(b) He finds that his father's possessions are gone.
(c) His father has not been selected.
(d) He finds a note from his father.
15. Who does Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
(a) Rabbi Elichou.
(b) His friend, Zalman.
(c) Rabbi Elichou's son.
(d) His friend, Juliek.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
2. What does Elie find in the morning at the deserted village?
3. What realization does Elie come to when he remembers the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
4. What does Elie do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
5. After the war, what does Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)