|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Elie's number is called.
(b) Elie's father's number is called.
(c) Both Elie and his father are called.
(d) Neither Elie nor his father is called.
2. What happens to Zalman, Elie's acquaintance, when he collapses with a stomach ache?
(a) Elie picks him up and helps him run.
(b) He is shot.
(c) The medics carry him on a stretcher.
(d) He is trampled by other prisoners.
3. When the prisoners find out that they can have soup, what is their reaction?
(a) They eagerly devour the soup.
(b) They are too tired to care.
(c) They fight over it.
(d) They draw straws to decide who gets it.
4. After Rabbi Elichou asks Elie about his son, what does Elie remember about the son?
(a) He was trampling fallen prisoners.
(b) He was helping other prisoners.
(c) He was praying over dead bodies.
(d) His son was running ahead.
5. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
(a) He doesn't want to begin a new job.
(b) He is worried.
(c) He knows he is strong and healthy so he is not concerned.
(d) He refuses to take part.
6. In chapter 7, when Elie wakes up, what is the condition of his father?
(a) Sleeping restlessly.
(b) Resting comfortably.
(c) Close to death.
(d) Sleeping soundly.
7. What happens on the morning of January 29, 1945?
(a) Elie believes his father is dead.
(b) Elie sees his father taken to the crematory.
(c) The prisoners are evacuated again.
(d) The camp is liberated by the Americans.
8. According to Elie, what does indifference do to the spirit?
(a) Energizes it.
(b) Fills it.
(c) Deadens it.
(d) Rejuvenates it.
9. How is Elie's father treated by the other prisoners in Chapter 8?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They hide him from the guards.
(c) They sneak food and medicine for him.
(d) They beat him.
10. In chapter 7, to what does Elie compare humans?
(a) Beasts of prey.
(c) Guinea pigs.
(d) Canaries in a coal mine.
11. What does the author show about pain and suffering, particularly in chapter 8?
(a) Pain and suffering can be worse than death.
(b) Pain and suffering help to build character.
(c) Pain and suffering are better than death because at least you are still living.
(d) They will always exist.
12. What does Meir Katz, another prisoner, do when Elie calls for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) A man who tries to take Elie from the wagon.
(b) A guard who helps Elie.
(c) The rabbi who prays for Elie.
(d) He helps Elie.
13. What does Elie think about when he wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
(a) His father.
(b) Stealing medicine.
(d) Getting more blankets.
14. Who does Elie call for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) His father.
(b) No one.
(d) A guard.
15. What is Elie's feeling about the scene after the workman throws the bread?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
2. What thought troubles Elie for the rest of his life?
3. What does Elie do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
4. What does Elie wonder about on the morning of January 29, 1945?
5. What is the condition of the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village as they travel to the concentration camp?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)