|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the event on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village occurring?
(a) Bodies are piled on top of him.
(b) Elie is selected.
(c) Elie doesn't know.
(d) He is accused of stealing food.
2. Why does Elie want to trade bunks with other prisoners after he wakes up and discovers his father's condition?
(a) The prisoners in the bunks next to Elie are bullies.
(b) Elie wants a top bunk.
(c) He wants to be close to his father.
(d) Elie's bunk is broken.
3. Why does Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
(b) He wants to be a rabbi like his father.
(c) He wants to get away from his father.
(d) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
4. What does the person who Elie finds in a pile of bodies do as Elie falls asleep?
(a) Sings Jewish folk songs.
(b) Prays aloud.
(c) Tells stories.
(d) Plays his violin.
5. When the prisoners do eventually receive their freedom, what do they want?
(a) They ask their liberators to burn the camp to the ground.
(b) They want their captors to suffer the same treatment they received.
(c) They are too weak to care.
(d) They only want food and clothing.
6. What is the catalyst for the major event which happens on April 11, 1945?
(a) The executions continue.
(b) The prisoners are evacuated.
(c) The prisoners are forced to repair the gates, causing some prisoners to collapse.
(d) The resistance movement goes into action.
7. In chapter 6, when Rabbi Elichou asks Elie if he has seen his son, what does Elie say?
(a) He hasn't seen him.
(b) He stares at the rabbi speechlessly.
(c) He saw the medics working on him.
(d) He saw his son sleeping by a wall.
8. What feeling does Elie have toward Rabbi Elichou's son?
9. In particular, what part of the occurrence which Elie witnesses later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners causes his reaction?
(a) Two children are trying to strangle each other for coins.
(b) He sees a prison guard strike the prisoner to the ground.
(c) He notices one of the homeless people pull a knife.
(d) One of the children looks like a friend he knew at Buchenwald.
10. What doesn't Elie do for six days?
(d) Receive his medicine.
11. What is the reaction of the person Elie spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) The person tells Elie to mind his own business.
(b) The person completely ignores Elie.
(c) The person thinks it is an act of charity.
(d) The person tries to stab Elie.
12. What major event occurs on April 11, 1945 ?
(a) Some of the remaining prisoners are shot while trying to escape.
(b) The camp is liberated.
(c) The prisoners cause an uprising.
(d) The war ends.
13. Why do the prisoners feel this way about the chimney at this point in the story?
(a) They are afraid to die in that way.
(b) They don't have the strength to care.
(c) They are grief-stricken to realize this is how their lives will end.
(d) They resent the way they are treated.
14. What do the prisoners learn at roll call on April 5, 1945?
(a) The war is over.
(b) Hitler died.
(c) The camp will be evacuated.
(d) They will be sent to the crematory ten blocks a day.
15. What happens when Elie performs the action that he hasn't done since living in the ghetto?
(a) He does not recognize himself.
(b) He cries for all the suffering, death, and inhumanity he has witnessed and experienced.
(c) He cares about what happens to the Jews.
(d) He regains his trust and belief in God.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of chapter 9, how does Elie feel?
2. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
3. How is Elie's father treated by the other prisoners in Chapter 8?
4. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
5. What is the only thing Elie wants to do after his father dies?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)