|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the prisoners find out that they can have soup, what is their reaction?
(a) They are too tired to care.
(b) They draw straws to decide who gets it.
(c) They fight over it.
(d) They eagerly devour the soup.
2. What happens to men who fall to the ground while they are running during evacuation?
(a) Medics attend to them.
(b) They get up and start running.
(c) They are dragged along by other prisoners.
(d) They are shot.
3. What does Elie find in the morning at the deserted village?
(a) Zalman is dead.
(b) Juliek is dead.
(c) Rabbi Elichou is dead.
(d) Rabbi Elichou's son is dead.
4. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He doesn't want to begin a new job.
(c) He refuses to take part.
(d) He knows he is strong and healthy so he is not concerned.
5. What does Elie's father ask Elie to do for him when they are in the concentration camp in chapter 8?
(a) Beg the guards to take him to the crematory.
(b) Try to steal medicine.
(c) Let him die in the snow.
6. What is Elie's reaction to the event he witnesses later in life which reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) He stares, shocked and horrified, without saying a word.
(b) He tries to keep the children from hurting each other.
(c) He offers to give money.
(d) He begs a participant not to do this any more.
7. Why does Elie want to trade bunks with other prisoners after he wakes up and discovers his father's condition?
(a) The prisoners in the bunks next to Elie are bullies.
(b) Elie wants a top bunk.
(c) He wants to be close to his father.
(d) Elie's bunk is broken.
8. In chapter 7, where are the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village being transported to?
(b) Back to Auschwitz.
9. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
(a) Elie's father is not selected.
(b) Elie's father begins his new job in the kitchen.
(c) Elie's father is selected.
(d) Elie's father is to be released from the camp.
10. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
(b) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
(c) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(d) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
11. Why are there 100 passengers crowded together as they travel in chapter 6?
(a) The prisoners are so thin.
(b) There are fewer guards for the prisoners.
(c) There are fewer conveyances to carry the prisoners.
(d) There are more prisoners to transport.
12. At the end of chapter 6, how are the prisoners forced to travel?
(a) Cattle car.
(b) Hay wagon.
(d) Passenger train car.
13. What scene similar to that of the workman throwing the bread to the prisoners does Elie witness later in life?
(a) People diving and fighting for coins thrown by passengers of a boat.
(b) Guards stoning a prisoner at a penitentiary.
(c) Children pushing and shoving to pick up candy thrown by a street performer.
(d) A group of homeless people drawing straws to see who gets a threadbare scarf.
14. What is the responsibility of the men who clear out the wagons?
(a) They repair the wagons.
(b) They rotate the prisoners between the wagons.
(c) They take out the dead and bury them.
(d) They scour the wagons with boiling water.
15. What feeling does Elie have toward Rabbi Elichou's son?
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
2. In what condition is Elie's father when Elie wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
3. How is Elie's father treated by the other prisoners in Chapter 8?
4. What is the condition of the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village as they travel to the concentration camp?
5. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)