|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
(a) It lands on the shelter of the SS officers.
(b) It destroys the block next to Elie's.
(c) The bomb destroys the chimney.
(d) It does not detonate.
2. What is A-7713?
(a) The emergency code for an escaped prisoner.
(b) The number branded on Elie's arm.
(c) The number branded on the arm of Elie's father.
(d) The number of Elie's prison block.
3. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
(a) The man tells Elie he understands why he lied.
(b) Elie never sees him again.
(c) The man tries to kill Elie.
(d) The man tries to get Elie in trouble with the guards.
4. How do others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
(a) People regard him as a great philosopher.
(b) They question his sanity.
(c) They see him as a prophet.
(d) They consider him to be a gifted storyteller.
5. How do the Jews sleep the first night in the prison block at Auschwitz?
(a) They sleep soundly.
(b) They are not permitted to sleep.
(c) They are awoken every hour for roll call.
(d) They sleep restlessly.
6. After the Germans arrest the Jewish leaders during Passover, what are the Jews required to do?
(a) They are required to immediately surrender all their possessions.
(b) They must leave the town and find their own accommodations.
(c) They must attend formation every morning at dawn.
(d) They must remain in their houses for three days.
7. What interest do Moshe and Elie share?
(a) Plotting against the Gestapo.
(b) Playing board games.
(c) Discussing philosophy.
8. How do the people of Sighet regard Elie's father?
(a) He is untrustworthy.
(b) He is sensitive and emotional.
(c) He is arrogant and overbearing.
(d) He is highly respected.
9. What is the lie that Elie tells to the man looking for Wiesel of Sighat?
(a) Elie tells him that his family hasn't been heard from.
(b) Elie tells the man that his mother knows his family is safe.
(c) Elie tells the man that he saw them in the flames of the chimney.
(d) Elie tells the man that they are at another camp.
10. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
(a) He says helping more Jews is too dangerous.
(b) He agrees to spend more time with Elie.
(c) He says he is too old to start over.
(d) He reminds Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
11. What happens to the train on which Moshe is deported?
(a) The last few train cars derail.
(b) The train is taken over by the Gestapo in Polish territory.
(c) The train crashes into a tressel.
(d) The Gestapo order the Jews on Moshe's train car to unload and walk to the destination.
12. The German officer who threatens to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compares them to what animal?
13. What are the conditions inside the synagogue while Elie's group stays there?
(a) Chaotic and noisy.
(b) Drafty and damp.
(c) Spacious and clean.
(d) Crowded and unsanitary.
14. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He destroys their valuables rather that surrender them.
(b) He buries their savings in the basement.
(c) He surrenders their valuables to the Germans.
(d) He gives their savings to a relative who can safely hide them.
15. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
(a) They believe he will conquer all of Europe.
(b) They believe he will soon be defeated.
(c) They think his troops are turning on him.
(d) They think he was killed or went into hiding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the SS officers do to the prisoners the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
2. Madame Schachter travels with whom?
3. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
4. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
5. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)