|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
(a) Elie thought he was telling the truth.
(b) He wants to give hope to the man.
(c) He is afraid of the man.
(d) He is afraid the guards will punish them for talking, so he tries to make the man leave quickly.
2. In chapter 4, what happens to Elie when he is working?
(a) He injures his hand severely.
(b) He is beaten.
(c) He is taunted and teased by the other workers.
(d) He receives a promotion.
3. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
(a) She becomes unresponsive.
(b) She is shot by the Hungarian police.
(c) She goes insane.
(d) She commits suicide.
4. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(c) A person's name.
(d) A vacation.
5. Where do the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews see as they exit the train at Birkenau?
(a) A bonfire.
(b) A chimney.
(c) An overturned cattle car.
(d) A house.
6. How do the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter?
(a) They think she is selfish.
(b) They think she is knowledgeable.
(c) They think she is insane.
(d) They think she is a prophet.
7. In chapter 4, what does the foreman want Elie to do?
(a) Smuggle soap from the shower.
(b) Smuggle food from the kitchen.
(c) Steal electrical parts.
(d) Give him his gold tooth.
8. How do the people of Sighet regard Elie's father?
(a) He is untrustworthy.
(b) He is sensitive and emotional.
(c) He is highly respected.
(d) He is arrogant and overbearing.
9. What are the conditions inside the synagogue while Elie's group stays there?
(a) Chaotic and noisy.
(b) Spacious and clean.
(c) Crowded and unsanitary.
(d) Drafty and damp.
10. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
(a) The dentist's.
(b) The young boy's.
(c) The elderly man's.
(d) The young man's.
11. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
(b) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
(c) They formulate a plan for escape.
(d) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
12. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
(a) They think he was killed or went into hiding.
(b) They think his troops are turning on him.
(c) They believe he will soon be defeated.
(d) They believe he will conquer all of Europe.
13. In chapter 4, what was Elie's job in the camp?
(a) He works in the camp kitchen.
(b) He works in the electrical warehouse.
(c) He assists the camp dentist.
(d) He cleans the camp showers.
14. In chapter 3, what happens to the Jews at Birkenau once they leave the train?
(a) They are sent directly to hard labor in a rock quarry.
(b) The children and adults are separated.
(c) They are given food and water.
(d) The men and women are separated.
15. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They offer rooms to relatives who have lost their homes.
(b) They give their valuables to relatives who can hide them.
(c) They are forced to cook for the German soldiers.
(d) They hide Jews who are trying to escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. After tiring of her screams, what do the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
2. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
3. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
4. What is Birkenau?
5. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)