|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Moshe tell Elie he escapes the Gestapo in 1944?
(a) He agrees to kill the Jews who were on his truck.
(b) He is shot in the leg and left for dead.
(c) He disguises himself as a Gestapo agent.
(d) He steals a truck.
2. What do the SS officers do to the prisoners the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) The SS officers make them watch the chimney.
(b) They force them to march on a five mile hike.
(c) They brand them with numbers.
(d) They withhold their food and water.
3. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
(a) The man tries to get Elie in trouble with the guards.
(b) The man tells Elie he understands why he lied.
(c) The man tries to kill Elie.
(d) Elie never sees him again.
4. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(b) A person's name.
(d) A vacation.
5. Who is in charge of Elie, his father and the other prisoners in this prison block?
(a) A Polish prisoner.
(b) A German prisoner.
(c) Elie's father.
(d) An SS officer.
6. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
(a) Each Jew has a sleeping bag and provisions.
(b) The conditions are crowded and hot.
(c) There is a seating and sleeping area.
(d) There are games and a victrola.
7. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He surrenders their valuables to the Germans.
(b) He destroys their valuables rather that surrender them.
(c) He gives their savings to a relative who can safely hide them.
(d) He buries their savings in the basement.
8. As the train trip continues, what does Madame Schachter scream about?
(a) She continues to complain that she is ill.
(b) She screams about fire, flames, and a furnace.
(c) She screams for more food and water.
(d) She worries that the train will derail.
9. How are the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
(a) The Jews are to march in strict formation.
(b) They are to crawl.
(c) They are to run.
(d) They are to ride in filthy wagons.
10. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see fire.
(b) They see barbed wire.
(c) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
(d) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
11. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
(a) She sits quietly in a corner of the train car.
(b) She begins to scream again.
(c) She falls asleep.
(d) She becomes unconscious from her illness.
12. How does the foreman's respond to Elie's refusal?
(a) The foreman abuses Elie's father.
(b) The foreman beats Elie so his tooth falls out.
(c) The foreman sends Elie to solitary confinement.
(d) The foreman tells the camp commander that Elie stole food.
13. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) He refuses to eat it.
(b) He eagerly consumes it.
(c) He eats it, then vomits.
(d) He throws it back at the server.
14. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They give their valuables to relatives who can hide them.
(b) They are forced to cook for the German soldiers.
(c) They offer rooms to relatives who have lost their homes.
(d) They hide Jews who are trying to escape.
15. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
(a) The bomb destroys the chimney.
(b) It destroys the block next to Elie's.
(c) It does not detonate.
(d) It lands on the shelter of the SS officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
2. After the Germans arrest the Jewish leaders during Passover, what are the Jews required to do?
3. What does the author say the cattle car is?
4. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
5. How do the people of Sighet regard Elie's father?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)