Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
(a) She finally calms down.
(b) She continues to be hysterical.
(c) She becomes extremely violent.
(d) She becomes eerily quiet.
2. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He thinks he should have run and hid.
(b) He feels he should have repeated the question.
(c) He feels he should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(d) He thinks he should have attacked the assailant.
3. How does Moshe tell Elie he escapes the Gestapo in 1944?
(a) He disguises himself as a Gestapo agent.
(b) He is shot in the leg and left for dead.
(c) He steals a truck.
(d) He agrees to kill the Jews who were on his truck.
4. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He surrenders their valuables to the Germans.
(b) He gives their savings to a relative who can safely hide them.
(c) He destroys their valuables rather that surrender them.
(d) He buries their savings in the basement.
5. What is Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand?
(a) Elie refuses to smuggle food.
(b) Elie refuses to smuggle soap..
(c) Elie refuses to steal electrical parts.
(d) Elie refuses to give the foreman his tooth.
6. In chapter 4, what does the foreman want Elie to do?
(a) Steal electrical parts.
(b) Smuggle soap from the shower.
(c) Give him his gold tooth.
(d) Smuggle food from the kitchen.
7. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(b) They are systematically executed.
(c) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
(d) They are put on cattle cars.
8. How does Moshe's experience change him?
(a) He loses interest in the things he loves.
(b) He becomes optimistic about the situation.
(c) He attempts to leave his beloved hometown and country.
(d) He tries to commit suicide.
9. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
(b) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
(c) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
(d) She can only be consoled by Elie.
10. What is the dentist's punishment after his arrest?
(a) Firing squad.
(b) The crematory.
11. As the train trip continues, what does Madame Schachter scream about?
(a) She screams for more food and water.
(b) She worries that the train will derail.
(c) She continues to complain that she is ill.
(d) She screams about fire, flames, and a furnace.
12. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
(a) The foreman's continual abuse of Elie's father.
(b) Tiring of personal abuse from the foreman.
(c) Getting out of solitary confinement.
(d) Getting on the good side of the camp commander.
13. What is the response of the man looking for Wiesel of Sighet to Elie's news of his family?
(a) He weeps with joy.
(b) He cries bitterly and hysterically.
(c) He collapses from grief.
(d) He remains quiet and returns to his place in the ranks.
14. Why is the dentist who didn't pull Elie's tooth arrested?
(a) For trafficking gold teeth.
(b) For threatening Elie's father.
(c) For not pulling Elie's severely infected tooth.
(d) For putting prisoners' fillings in guards' teeth.
15. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) They are forced to run laps.
(b) They are ordered to clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
(c) They are forced to shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
(d) They must stand in formation for over an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
2. How do the Jews sleep the first night in the prison block at Auschwitz?
3. Who is in charge of Elie, his father and the other prisoners in this prison block?
4. In the spring of 1944, what does Elie wish his father would do?
5. In chapter 4, what was Elie's job in the camp?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)