|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
(a) They are shot.
(b) They are immediately sent to the furnace.
(c) They are permitted to keep half their valuables.
(d) They are separated from their relatives.
2. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
(a) The dentist's.
(b) The young boy's.
(c) The elderly man's.
(d) The young man's.
3. In chapter 3, why does Elie's father ask directions to the washroom?
(a) A friend of Elie's father is ill.
(b) He needs to wash a wound.
(c) He is ill with colic.
(d) Elie's father needs to wash a blood stain from his shirt.
4. In chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what are the occupants allowed to have?
(c) Fresh clothing.
5. What is Auschwitz?
(a) The name of the "station" where the train stops
(b) The reception center for Dachau
(c) The name of the train they are on
(d) The name of the Hungarian interpreter
6. Why does Elie get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
(a) He needs them for his job in the camp.
(b) They are covered with mud, so no one saw them.
(c) He keeps them because of his age.
(d) He keeps them because of an injury to his feet.
7. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
(a) Prisoners forced into the chimney.
(d) Firing squad.
8. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that they are not frightened.
(b) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
(c) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
(d) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
9. How are the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
(a) The Jews are to march in strict formation.
(b) They are to ride in filthy wagons.
(c) They are to run.
(d) They are to crawl.
10. In chapter 4, what does the foreman want Elie to do?
(a) Smuggle food from the kitchen.
(b) Steal electrical parts.
(c) Give him his gold tooth.
(d) Smuggle soap from the shower.
11. After they are shown the chimney at Birkenau, what is the crowd's reaction?
(a) The crowd lets out an audible sigh of relief.
(b) There is a brief uprising.
(c) They are completely silent.
(d) They cheer wildly.
12. How does Moshe tell Elie he escapes the Gestapo in 1944?
(a) He agrees to kill the Jews who were on his truck.
(b) He steals a truck.
(c) He is shot in the leg and left for dead.
(d) He disguises himself as a Gestapo agent.
13. What does the author say the cattle car is?
(a) A closet.
(b) An oven.
(c) A trap.
(d) A shoebox.
14. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
(a) She sits quietly in a corner of the train car.
(b) She begins to scream again.
(c) She becomes unconscious from her illness.
(d) She falls asleep.
15. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(a) A vacation.
(b) A person's name.
Short Answer Questions
1. In German language, what does the French girl who witnesses the event while Elie is working tell him to do?
2. Where is Sighet?
3. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
4. What is Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand?
5. How does Elie describe his train trip leaving Sighet?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)