|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the train trip continues, what does Madame Schachter scream about?
(a) She worries that the train will derail.
(b) She screams about fire, flames, and a furnace.
(c) She continues to complain that she is ill.
(d) She screams for more food and water.
2. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(a) A vacation.
(c) A person's name.
3. What is the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams?
(a) They threaten to throw her from the train.
(b) They peek through the bars but see nothing.
(c) They ignore her.
(d) They try to comfort her.
4. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
(b) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
(c) She can only be consoled by Elie.
(d) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
5. How do the people of Sighet regard Elie's father?
(a) He is untrustworthy.
(b) He is arrogant and overbearing.
(c) He is highly respected.
(d) He is sensitive and emotional.
6. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
(a) She continues to be hysterical.
(b) She becomes eerily quiet.
(c) She finally calms down.
(d) She becomes extremely violent.
7. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
(b) They formulate a plan for escape.
(c) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
(d) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
8. What happens to the train on which Moshe is deported?
(a) The Gestapo order the Jews on Moshe's train car to unload and walk to the destination.
(b) The train crashes into a tressel.
(c) The last few train cars derail.
(d) The train is taken over by the Gestapo in Polish territory.
9. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
(a) The man tries to get Elie in trouble with the guards.
(b) Elie never sees him again.
(c) The man tries to kill Elie.
(d) The man tells Elie he understands why he lied.
10. What is the response of the man looking for Wiesel of Sighet to Elie's news of his family?
(a) He cries bitterly and hysterically.
(b) He collapses from grief.
(c) He remains quiet and returns to his place in the ranks.
(d) He weeps with joy.
11. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
(a) He teaches religion at a high school.
(b) He works with Elie's father.
(c) He does not have a job.
(d) He works at a Hasidic synagogue.
12. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
(a) The dentist's.
(b) The young boy's.
(c) The elderly man's.
(d) The young man's.
13. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
(a) It lands on the shelter of the SS officers.
(b) The bomb destroys the chimney.
(c) It destroys the block next to Elie's.
(d) It does not detonate.
14. What is another requirement the Jews must adhere to, regarding their clothing?
(a) Each Jew must wear a yellow star.
(b) Each Jew must wear black or grey.
(c) Jewish children are no longer permitted to wear school uniforms.
(d) All Jews must wear a black star.
15. Where does Elie's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
(a) The railroad station.
(b) The main synagogue.
(c) In the middle of a field.
(d) A deserted warehouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elie describe his train trip leaving Sighet?
2. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
3. How do others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
4. After tiring of her screams, what do the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
5. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)