|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interests did Moshe and Wiesel share?
(a) Plotting against the Gestapo.
(c) Playing board games.
(d) Discussing philosophy.
2. What did the dentist find in Elie's mouth in Chapter 4?
(a) A silver crown.
(b) A severely infected tooth.
(c) A partial set of false teeth.
(d) A gold crown.
3. In Chapter 3, why did Wiesel's father ask directions to the washroom?
(a) He was ill with colic.
(b) Elie's father needed to wash a blood stain from his shirt.
(c) A friend of Elie's father was ill.
(d) He needed to wash a wound.
4. How many prisoners were loaded into the cattle cars at the end of Chapter 1?
5. According to the German officer in Chapter 2, what happened to any Jews who kept their valuables?
(a) They were permitted to keep half their valuables.
(b) They were separated from their relatives.
(c) They were immediately sent to the furnace.
(d) They were shot.
6. Why was the dentist who did not pull Elie's tooth arrested in Chapter 4?
(a) For threatening Elie's father.
(b) For not pulling Elie's severely infected tooth.
(c) For trafficking gold teeth.
(d) For putting prisoners' fillings in guards' teeth.
7. What troubling news did the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
(a) The deported occupants were executed.
(b) German troops were getting closer to Sighet.
(c) Their town would be turned into a concentration camp.
(d) Hitler's army had strengthened.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 4, who did Wiesel see wandering between the blocks?
(a) "Well-dressed" inmates.
(b) SS officers.
(c) Young boys.
(d) Young women.
9. What did the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car in Chapter 2?
(c) A person's name.
(d) A vacation.
10. What did Wiesel's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They gave their valuables to relatives who could hide them.
(b) They were forced to cook for the German soldiers.
(c) They hid Jews who were trying to escape.
(d) They offered rooms to relatives who had lost their homes.
11. How long did it take one of the hanged prisoners to die at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) About a half an hour.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 40 minutes.
(d) More than a half a hour.
12. In Chapter 2, where was the first stop the train makes?
13. In Chapter 3, how did the man respond who is looking for news of his family after he spoke with Wiesel?
(a) He collapsed from grief.
(b) He wept with joy.
(c) He cried bitterly and hysterically.
(d) He remained quiet and returned to his place in the ranks.
14. What did Wiesel believe when he and his father were sent to the right after telling their ages to the officer at Birkenau?
(a) He believed they were being sent to the crematory.
(b) He thought they would be shot immediately.
(c) He believed that he and his father would be separated.
(d) He thought they were in the fortunate group.
15. Where is Sighet?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, first, what did Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
2. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happened to life in Sighet?
3. After the war when Wiesel met the woman who pretended to be Aryan rather than a Jew at the concentration camp, what did she tell him?
4. In Chapter 4, what was Wiesel's job in the camp?
5. In Chapter 4, what did the foreman want Wiesel to do?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)