|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sighet?
2. Where did the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews saw as they exit the train at Birkenau in Chapter 2?
(a) A chimney.
(b) An overturned cattle car.
(c) A house.
(d) A bonfire.
3. Whose number is A-7713?
(b) Wiesel's father's.
4. In Chapter 4, what was the dentist's punishment after his arrest?
(a) The crematory.
(d) Firing squad.
5. What did some of the young do in Chapter 2 under the cover of darkness?
(a) Sit on one another's laps.
(b) Hug one another.
(c) Caress one another.
(d) Comfort one another.
6. What did Wiesel's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They gave their valuables to relatives who could hide them.
(b) They offered rooms to relatives who had lost their homes.
(c) They hid Jews who were trying to escape.
(d) They were forced to cook for the German soldiers.
7. In Chapter 4, what was Wiesel's job in the camp?
(a) He assisted the camp dentist.
(b) He worked in the camp kitchen.
(c) He cleaned the camp showers.
(d) He worked in the electrical warehouse.
8. In the spring of 1944, what did the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
(a) That he would soon be defeated.
(b) That he was killed or went into hiding.
(c) That he would conquer all of Europe.
(d) They thought his troops were turning on him.
9. What were the conditions for the Jews on the train in Chapter 2?
(a) Crowded and hot.
(b) There were games and a victrola.
(c) There was a seating and sleeping area.
(d) Each Jew had a sleeping bag and provisions.
10. After tiring of her screams, what did the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
(a) They sat on her.
(b) They hit her on the head.
(c) The men promised to put out the fire.
(d) The men continued to ignore her outbursts.
11. What happened to the train on which Moshe was deported?
(a) The last few train cars derailed.
(b) The Gestapo ordered the Jews on Moshe's train car to unload and walk to the destination.
(c) The train was taken over by the Gestapo in Polish territory.
(d) The train crashed into a trestle.
12. How did the people of Sighet view the needy?
(a) They were compassionate toward them.
(b) They did not particularly like them.
(c) They hated them.
(d) They respected them.
13. In Chapter 4, what did the foreman want Wiesel to do?
(a) Give him his gold tooth.
(b) Smuggle soap from the shower.
(c) Steal electrical parts.
(d) Smuggle food from the kitchen.
14. What did the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car in Chapter 2?
(b) A person's name.
(d) A vacation.
15. What did the SS officer do the prisoners in Chapter 3 the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) Withheld their food and water.
(b) The SS officers made them watch the crematorium.
(c) Branded them with numbers.
(d) Forced them to march five miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to be introduced in the book, Night?
2. Before the prisoners were assigned to blocks in Chapter 4, where did they wait?
3. How did the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 3, how did the man respond who is looking for news of his family after he spoke with Wiesel?
5. Why did Wiesel lie to the man who was looking for his family in Chapter 3?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)