|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train?
(a) They threaten to shoot everyone if even one person escapes.
(b) They threaten to withhold everyone's food and water.
(c) There is one officer to guard each Jew.
(d) They threaten to send everyone to the furnace.
2. How do the people of Sighet regard Elie's father?
(a) He is arrogant and overbearing.
(b) He is untrustworthy.
(c) He is sensitive and emotional.
(d) He is highly respected.
3. At the end of chapter one, where do the Hungarian police send the Jews?
(a) They are ordered onto filthy trucks.
(b) They are jammed onto packed railroad passenger cars.
(c) They are forced to walk miles to their destination.
(d) They are crammed onto crowded cattle wagons.
4. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
(a) Getting on the good side of the camp commander.
(b) Getting out of solitary confinement.
(c) Tiring of personal abuse from the foreman.
(d) The foreman's continual abuse of Elie's father.
5. How are the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
(a) The Jews are to march in strict formation.
(b) They are to run.
(c) They are to ride in filthy wagons.
(d) They are to crawl.
6. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She cries about being separated from her family.
(b) She complains that she is ill.
(c) She complains about the conditions on the train.
(d) She moans about the fact that they are all going to die.
7. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
(a) The young boy's.
(b) The elderly man's.
(c) The dentist's.
(d) The young man's.
8. Who is in charge of Elie, his father and the other prisoners in this prison block?
(a) A German prisoner.
(b) Elie's father.
(c) An SS officer.
(d) A Polish prisoner.
9. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
(a) She begins to scream again.
(b) She falls asleep.
(c) She becomes unconscious from her illness.
(d) She sits quietly in a corner of the train car.
10. At Birkenau, what does the fellow prisoner tell Elie and his father to do?
(a) He tells them to smile.
(b) He tells them to lie about their ages.
(c) He tells them to keep their eyes averted downward at all times.
(d) He tells them to be sure to tell the truth about their ages.
11. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He feels he should have repeated the question.
(b) He feels he should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(c) He thinks he should have run and hid.
(d) He thinks he should have attacked the assailant.
12. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
(a) It lands on the shelter of the SS officers.
(b) The bomb destroys the chimney.
(c) It does not detonate.
(d) It destroys the block next to Elie's.
13. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
(a) Virtually everyone leaves Sighet.
(b) Life returns to normal.
(c) The community leaders plan a large celebration.
(d) The town becomes crime-ridden and economically depressed.
14. In chapter 4, what happens to Elie when he is working?
(a) He injures his hand severely.
(b) He is taunted and teased by the other workers.
(c) He receives a promotion.
(d) He is beaten.
15. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
(b) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
(c) They formulate a plan for escape.
(d) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the spring of 1944, what does Elie wish his father would do?
2. What does Elie see in the flames of the crematory?
3. What interest do Moshe and Elie share?
4. What is the dentist's punishment after his arrest?
5. Where does Elie's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)