|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Wiesel's father respond to the order that Jews were not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He surrendered their valuables to the Germans.
(b) He gave their savings to a relative who could safely hide them.
(c) He buried their savings in the basement.
(d) He destroyed their valuables rather that surrender them.
2. How did Wiesel know Madame Schachter so well?
(a) She was his aunt.
(b) She was his teacher.
(c) She was sitting next to him during the long train trip.
(d) She often visited his family's home.
3. How did others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
(a) They questioned his sanity.
(b) They considered him to be a gifted storyteller.
(c) They saw him as a prophet.
(d) People regarded him as a great philosopher.
4. At the end of Chapter 3, how long had it taken for the prisoners to arrive at Buna?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Five hours.
(d) Four hours.
5. How did the people of Sighet view the needy?
(a) They did not particularly like them.
(b) They respected them.
(c) They hated them.
(d) They were compassionate toward them.
6. Madame Schachter traveled with whom in Chapter 2?
(a) No one.
(b) Her husband and two oldest sons.
(c) Her ten-year-old son.
(d) Her ten-year-old daughter.
7. What does the author say the cattle car is in Chapter 2?
(a) An oven.
(b) A shoebox.
(c) A trap.
(d) A closet.
8. What did the dentist find in Elie's mouth in Chapter 4?
(a) A gold crown.
(b) A severely infected tooth.
(c) A partial set of false teeth.
(d) A silver crown.
9. How did Moshe's experience change him?
(a) He tried to commit suicide.
(b) He lost interest in the things he loved.
(c) He became optimistic about the situation.
(d) He attempted to leave his beloved hometown and country.
10. At Birkenau, what did a fellow prisoner tell Wiesel and his father to do?
(b) Keep their eyes averted downward at all times.
(c) Lie about their ages.
(d) Be sure to tell the truth about their ages.
11. At the end of Chapter 1, where did the Hungarian police send the Jews?
(a) They were forced to walk miles to their destination.
(b) They were ordered onto filthy trucks.
(c) They were jammed onto packed railroad passenger cars.
(d) They were crammed onto crowded cattle wagons.
12. In Chapter 2, where was the first stop the train makes?
13. What were the conditions inside the synagogue while Wiesel's group stayed there?
(a) Spacious and clean.
(b) Crowded and unsanitary.
(c) Chaotic and noisy.
(d) Drafty and damp.
14. In Chapter 3, why did Wiesel's father ask directions to the washroom?
(a) He was ill with colic.
(b) Elie's father needed to wash a blood stain from his shirt.
(c) He needed to wash a wound.
(d) A friend of Elie's father was ill.
15. Whose number is A-7713?
(b) Wiesel's father's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what were the occupants allowed to have?
2. What interests did Moshe and Wiesel share?
3. In Chapter 4, what did the foreman want Wiesel to do?
4. After tiring of her screams, what did the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
5. How did Moshe tell Weisel he escaped the Gestapo in 1944?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)