|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the dentist who didn't pull Elie's tooth arrested?
(a) For trafficking gold teeth.
(b) For threatening Elie's father.
(c) For not pulling Elie's severely infected tooth.
(d) For putting prisoners' fillings in guards' teeth.
2. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) He throws it back at the server.
(b) He eats it, then vomits.
(c) He eagerly consumes it.
(d) He refuses to eat it.
3. What is the lie that Elie tells to the man looking for Wiesel of Sighat?
(a) Elie tells him that his family hasn't been heard from.
(b) Elie tells the man that he saw them in the flames of the chimney.
(c) Elie tells the man that his mother knows his family is safe.
(d) Elie tells the man that they are at another camp.
4. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
(a) Tiring of personal abuse from the foreman.
(b) The foreman's continual abuse of Elie's father.
(c) Getting on the good side of the camp commander.
(d) Getting out of solitary confinement.
5. What is A-7713?
(a) The number branded on Elie's arm.
(b) The number of Elie's prison block.
(c) The number branded on the arm of Elie's father.
(d) The emergency code for an escaped prisoner.
6. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
(a) He reminds Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
(b) He says helping more Jews is too dangerous.
(c) He says he is too old to start over.
(d) He agrees to spend more time with Elie.
7. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
(a) The learn that their town is being turned into a concentration camp.
(b) They learn that the deported occupants were executed.
(c) They find out that Hitler's army has strengthened.
(d) They find out that German troops are getting closer to Sighet.
8. In chapter 4, what was Elie's job in the camp?
(a) He works in the camp kitchen.
(b) He works in the electrical warehouse.
(c) He assists the camp dentist.
(d) He cleans the camp showers.
9. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
(b) They pretend that they are not frightened.
(c) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
(d) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
10. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
(a) He wants to give hope to the man.
(b) He is afraid of the man.
(c) He is afraid the guards will punish them for talking, so he tries to make the man leave quickly.
(d) Elie thought he was telling the truth.
11. What are the prisoners supposed to do when they hear the air raid sirens?
(a) Take cover in cement air raid shelters.
(b) Man anti-aircraft artillery.
(c) Take cover in their lodgings.
(d) Lie flat on the ground.
12. When Elie is asked to report to the dentist, where is he coming from?
(a) The shower.
(b) His block.
(d) The kitchen.
13. What does Elie see in the flames of the crematory?
(a) He sees Moshe and Madame Schachter.
(b) He sees his mother and sister.
(c) He sees children and babies.
(d) He sees his best friend from Sighet.
14. Why does Elie get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
(a) They are covered with mud, so no one saw them.
(b) He keeps them because of his age.
(c) He needs them for his job in the camp.
(d) He keeps them because of an injury to his feet.
15. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) They are forced to run laps.
(b) They must stand in formation for over an hour.
(c) They are forced to shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
(d) They are ordered to clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the train on which Moshe is deported?
2. How does Moshe's experience change him?
3. How do the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter?
4. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
5. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)