|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the spring of 1944, what does Elie wish his father would do?
(a) Elie wants his father to move the family to America.
(b) He wants his father to sell everything and go to Palestine.
(c) He wishes his father would help more Jews acquire safe passage.
(d) Elie wants his father to spend more time with him.
2. How does Elie know Madame Schachter so well?
(a) She is his teacher.
(b) She is sitting next to him during the long train trip.
(c) She is his aunt.
(d) She often visited his family's home.
3. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
(b) Prisoners forced into the chimney.
(d) Firing squad.
4. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(b) A person's name.
(c) A vacation.
5. After tiring of her screams, what do the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
(a) They gag her, tie her up, and hit her in the head.
(b) They sit on her.
(c) The men continue to ignore her outbursts.
(d) The men promise to put out the fire.
6. What is the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams?
(a) They peek through the bars but see nothing.
(b) They threaten to throw her from the train.
(c) They try to comfort her.
(d) They ignore her.
7. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
(b) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
(c) They pretend that they are not frightened.
(d) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
8. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
(a) It lands on the shelter of the SS officers.
(b) It destroys the block next to Elie's.
(c) It does not detonate.
(d) The bomb destroys the chimney.
9. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
(b) They formulate a plan for escape.
(c) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
(d) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
10. How do others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
(a) They consider him to be a gifted storyteller.
(b) People regard him as a great philosopher.
(c) They question his sanity.
(d) They see him as a prophet.
11. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
(a) He agrees to spend more time with Elie.
(b) He reminds Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
(c) He says helping more Jews is too dangerous.
(d) He says he is too old to start over.
12. How does Moshe tell Elie he escapes the Gestapo in 1944?
(a) He disguises himself as a Gestapo agent.
(b) He agrees to kill the Jews who were on his truck.
(c) He is shot in the leg and left for dead.
(d) He steals a truck.
13. At the end of chapter one, where do the Hungarian police send the Jews?
(a) They are forced to walk miles to their destination.
(b) They are ordered onto filthy trucks.
(c) They are jammed onto packed railroad passenger cars.
(d) They are crammed onto crowded cattle wagons.
14. What is Auschwitz?
(a) The name of the Hungarian interpreter
(b) The name of the "station" where the train stops
(c) The name of the train they are on
(d) The reception center for Dachau
15. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
(b) She can only be consoled by Elie.
(c) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
(d) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
2. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
3. Who is in charge of Elie, his father and the other prisoners in this prison block?
4. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
5. What are the prisoners supposed to do when they hear the air raid sirens?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)