|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train in Chapter 2?
(a) There was one officer to guard each Jew.
(b) They threatened to withhold everyone's food and water.
(c) They threatened to send everyone to the furnace.
(d) They threatened to shoot everyone if even one person escaped.
2. What happened to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip in Chapter 2?
(a) She was shot by the Hungarian police.
(b) She became unresponsive.
(c) She went insane.
(d) She committed suicide.
3. In German language, what did the French girl who witnessed the event while Elie iwa working tell him to do in Chapter 4?
(a) "Go to the infirmary."
(b) "Cry and let your feelings out so you feel better."
(c) "Seek immediate revenge on your attacker."
(d) "Bite your lip and do not cry."
4. What color was Tzipora's hair?
5. After the Germans arrested the Jewish leaders during Passover, what were the Jews required to do?
(a) Attend formation every morning at dawn.
(b) Immediately surrender all their possessions.
(c) Remain in their houses for three days.
(d) Leave the town and find their own accommodations.
6. How did Moshe's experience change him?
(a) He became optimistic about the situation.
(b) He tried to commit suicide.
(c) He lost interest in the things he loved.
(d) He attempted to leave his beloved hometown and country.
7. In Chapter 3, what were the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrived at Auschwitz?
(a) Run laps.
(b) Clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
(c) Stand in formation for over an hour.
(d) Shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
8. In Chapter 3, what was the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
(a) It looked as if the conditions would be more favorable than at the place they came from.
(b) They seemed dismal, but not disagreeable, conditions.
(c) The conditions were about the same as the place they came from.
(d) The conditions were far worse than they could have imagined.
9. In Chapter 3, how did the man respond who is looking for news of his family after he spoke with Wiesel?
(a) He cried bitterly and hysterically.
(b) He remained quiet and returned to his place in the ranks.
(c) He collapsed from grief.
(d) He wept with joy.
10. In Chapter 4, what was the dentist's punishment after his arrest?
(a) The crematory.
(c) Firing squad.
11. What did the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car in Chapter 2?
(b) A person's name.
(d) A vacation.
12. What is Birkenau in Chapter 2?
(a) The reception area for Kaschau.
(b) The reception area for Bergen-Belsen.
(c) The reception area for Dachau.
(d) The reception area for Auschwitz.
13. What troubling news did the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
(a) Their town would be turned into a concentration camp.
(b) Hitler's army had strengthened.
(c) German troops were getting closer to Sighet.
(d) The deported occupants were executed.
14. How did the prisoners in Chapter 2, have to arrange themselves on the train?
(a) They all stood.
(b) They crouched.
(c) They all sat crowded elbow-to-elbow.
(d) Most stood up, some sat.
15. Before the prisoners were assigned to blocks in Chapter 4, where did they wait?
(b) Seated on the ground.
(c) Standing by the fence.
(d) On bleachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, when Wiesel was asked to report to the dentist, where was he coming from?
2. Madame Schachter traveled with whom in Chapter 2?
3. What was another requirement the Jews must adhere to, regarding their clothing?
4. In Chapter 3, what age did Wiesel claim to be?
5. In particular, what did the occupants of the cattle car need in Chapter 2?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)