|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the prisoners were assigned to blocks in Chapter 4, where did they wait?
(a) On bleachers.
(c) Seated on the ground.
(d) Standing by the fence.
2. Where did the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews saw as they exit the train at Birkenau in Chapter 2?
(a) An overturned cattle car.
(b) A house.
(c) A chimney.
(d) A bonfire.
3. After they were shown the chimney at Birkenau, what was the crowd's reaction?
(a) They cheered wildly.
(b) There was a brief uprising.
(c) They were completely silent.
(d) The crowd let out an audible sigh of relief.
4. How did the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train in Chapter 2?
(a) They threatened to send everyone to the furnace.
(b) There was one officer to guard each Jew.
(c) They threatened to shoot everyone if even one person escaped.
(d) They threatened to withhold everyone's food and water.
5. What was the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams in Chapter 2?
(a) They tried to comfort her.
(b) They ignored her.
(c) They threatened to throw her from the train.
(d) They peeked through the bars but saw nothing.
6. What interests did Moshe and Wiesel share?
(a) Playing board games.
(b) Discussing philosophy.
(c) Plotting against the Gestapo.
7. In Chapter 3, what happened to the man who was looking for his family learned the truth?
(a) The man tried to get Wiesel in trouble with the guards.
(b) Wiesel never saw him again.
(c) The man told Wiesel he understood why he lied.
(d) The man tried to kill Wiesel.
8. In Chapter 3, why did Wiesel get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
(a) Because of his age.
(b) They were covered with mud, so no one saw them.
(c) He needed them for his job in the camp.
(d) Due to an injury to his feet.
9. Where did Moshe the Beadle work?
(a) With Elie's father.
(b) He did not have a job.
(c) A Hasidic synagogue.
(d) He taught religion at a high school.
10. Why was the dentist who did not pull Elie's tooth arrested in Chapter 4?
(a) For not pulling Elie's severely infected tooth.
(b) For putting prisoners' fillings in guards' teeth.
(c) For trafficking gold teeth.
(d) For threatening Elie's father.
11. In Chapter 2, a German officer who threatened to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compared them to what animal?
12. What did the dentist find in Elie's mouth in Chapter 4?
(a) A partial set of false teeth.
(b) A gold crown.
(c) A severely infected tooth.
(d) A silver crown.
13. In Chapter 2, what was the first thing the Jews swa as the train stopped before they got off?
(b) Men and women digging in a rock quarry.
(c) occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(d) Barbed wire.
14. How did Moshe tell Weisel he escaped the Gestapo in 1944?
(a) He stole a truck.
(b) He was shot in the leg and left for dead.
(c) He disguised himself as a Gestapo agent.
(d) He agreed to kill the Jews who were on his truck.
15. How did others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
(a) They considered him to be a gifted storyteller.
(b) People regarded him as a great philosopher.
(c) They questioned his sanity.
(d) They saw him as a prophet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand in Chapter 4?
2. How did Wiesel know Madame Schachter so well?
3. In Chapter 3, what lie did Wiesel tell a man who was looking for Wiesel of Sighat?
4. How did Moshe's experience change him?
5. In order to give themselves hope, what did Wiesel and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz in Chapter 3?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)