|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color were the eyes of the man who joined the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. What did the chimney represent for the prisoners in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 3, why did Wiesel's father ask directions to the washroom?
(a) A friend of Elie's father was ill.
(b) Elie's father needed to wash a blood stain from his shirt.
(c) He was ill with colic.
(d) He needed to wash a wound.
4. Before the prisoners were assigned to blocks in Chapter 4, where did they wait?
(a) Seated on the ground.
(b) On bleachers.
(c) Standing by the fence.
5. In Chapter 3, what happened to the Jews at Birkenau once they left the train?
(a) The children and adults were separated.
(b) They were sent directly to hard labor in a rock quarry.
(c) They were given food and water.
(d) The men and women were separated.
6. In Chapter 4, what did the foreman want Wiesel to do?
(a) Smuggle soap from the shower.
(b) Smuggle food from the kitchen.
(c) Give him his gold tooth.
(d) Steal electrical parts.
7. Where is Sighet?
8. How many words were spoken as the prisoners leave the train in Chapter 3?
9. As the train trip continued, what did Madame Schachter scream about in Chapter 2?
(a) She screamed for more food and water.
(b) She screamed about fire, flames, and a furnace.
(c) She worried that the train would derail.
(d) She continued to complain that she was ill.
10. What does the author say the cattle car is in Chapter 2?
(a) An oven.
(b) A trap.
(c) A shoebox.
(d) A closet.
11. Why did Wiesel lie to the man who was looking for his family in Chapter 3?
(a) Wiesel thought he was telling the truth.
(b) He was afraid of the man.
(c) He was afraid the guards would for punish them for talking, so he tried to make the man leave quickly.
(d) He wanted to give the man hope.
12. How did Moshe's experience change him?
(a) He tried to commit suicide.
(b) He lost interest in the things he loved.
(c) He became optimistic about the situation.
(d) He attempted to leave his beloved hometown and country.
13. What did Wiesel believe when he and his father were sent to the right after telling their ages to the officer at Birkenau?
(a) He thought they were in the fortunate group.
(b) He believed they were being sent to the crematory.
(c) He thought they would be shot immediately.
(d) He believed that he and his father would be separated.
14. At the beginning of Chapter 4, who did Wiesel see wandering between the blocks?
(a) Young women.
(b) SS officers.
(c) "Well-dressed" inmates.
(d) Young boys.
15. Who is the first person to be introduced in the book, Night?
(a) Elie's father.
(b) Moshe the Beadle.
(c) Elie Wiesel.
(d) A Hungarian policeman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what did the prisoners discuss after several weeks in the camp?
2. How did the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter in Chapter 2?
3. How many prisoners were loaded into the cattle cars at the end of Chapter 1?
4. How did Moshe tell Weisel he escaped the Gestapo in 1944?
5. Where did Moshe the Beadle work?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)