|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They give their valuables to relatives who can hide them.
(b) They offer rooms to relatives who have lost their homes.
(c) They hide Jews who are trying to escape.
(d) They are forced to cook for the German soldiers.
2. In chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what are the occupants allowed to have?
(a) Fresh clothing.
3. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
(b) She can only be consoled by Elie.
(c) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
(d) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
4. What is Birkenau?
(a) The reception area for Bergen-Belsen.
(b) The reception area for Auschwitz.
(c) The reception area for Kaschau.
(d) The reception area for Dachau.
5. What happens to the train on which Moshe is deported?
(a) The last few train cars derail.
(b) The train crashes into a tressel.
(c) The train is taken over by the Gestapo in Polish territory.
(d) The Gestapo order the Jews on Moshe's train car to unload and walk to the destination.
6. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They are put on cattle cars.
(b) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
(c) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(d) They are systematically executed.
7. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
(a) He says he is too old to start over.
(b) He reminds Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
(c) He says helping more Jews is too dangerous.
(d) He agrees to spend more time with Elie.
8. What interest do Moshe and Elie share?
(a) Plotting against the Gestapo.
(b) Discussing philosophy.
(c) Playing board games.
9. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
(a) Life returns to normal.
(b) The town becomes crime-ridden and economically depressed.
(c) Virtually everyone leaves Sighet.
(d) The community leaders plan a large celebration.
10. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
(a) They find out that Hitler's army has strengthened.
(b) The learn that their town is being turned into a concentration camp.
(c) They find out that German troops are getting closer to Sighet.
(d) They learn that the deported occupants were executed.
11. How do the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter?
(a) They think she is a prophet.
(b) They think she is selfish.
(c) They think she is insane.
(d) They think she is knowledgeable.
12. How does the foreman's respond to Elie's refusal?
(a) The foreman tells the camp commander that Elie stole food.
(b) The foreman beats Elie so his tooth falls out.
(c) The foreman abuses Elie's father.
(d) The foreman sends Elie to solitary confinement.
13. How do the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train?
(a) They threaten to shoot everyone if even one person escapes.
(b) There is one officer to guard each Jew.
(c) They threaten to send everyone to the furnace.
(d) They threaten to withhold everyone's food and water.
14. In particular, what do the occupants of the cattle car need?
(d) Warm clothing.
15. What does Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
(a) He devotes himself to helping other foreign Jews escape.
(b) He immerses himself in prayer.
(c) He is engrossed in getting others to listen to his stories.
(d) He plans an uprising against the Hungarian police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews see as they exit the train at Birkenau?
2. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
3. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
4. How does Elie know Madame Schachter so well?
5. What is Auschwitz?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)