|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the train trip continued, what did Madame Schachter scream about in Chapter 2?
(a) She screamed for more food and water.
(b) She screamed about fire, flames, and a furnace.
(c) She worried that the train would derail.
(d) She continued to complain that she was ill.
2. In Chapter 3, what happened to the Jews at Birkenau once they left the train?
(a) They were sent directly to hard labor in a rock quarry.
(b) They were given food and water.
(c) The children and adults were separated.
(d) The men and women were separated.
3. What profession did Wiesel claim in Chapter 3?
4. How did the people of Sighet regard Wiesel's father?
(a) He was thought to be untrustworthy.
(b) He was considered arrogant and overbearing.
(c) He was known to be sensitive and emotional.
(d) He was highly respected.
5. What did the dentist find in Elie's mouth in Chapter 4?
(a) A severely infected tooth.
(b) A silver crown.
(c) A gold crown.
(d) A partial set of false teeth.
6. In Chapter 3, what were the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrived at Auschwitz?
(a) Clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
(b) Shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
(c) Stand in formation for over an hour.
(d) Run laps.
7. What did Wiesel's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They were forced to cook for the German soldiers.
(b) They offered rooms to relatives who had lost their homes.
(c) They gave their valuables to relatives who could hide them.
(d) They hid Jews who were trying to escape.
8. What were the conditions for the Jews on the train in Chapter 2?
(a) Each Jew had a sleeping bag and provisions.
(b) There was a seating and sleeping area.
(c) Crowded and hot.
(d) There were games and a victrola.
9. Why did Wiesel lie to the man who was looking for his family in Chapter 3?
(a) He was afraid of the man.
(b) He wanted to give the man hope.
(c) He was afraid the guards would for punish them for talking, so he tried to make the man leave quickly.
(d) Wiesel thought he was telling the truth.
10. Whose number is A-7713?
(b) Wiesel's father's.
11. In Chapter 3, what was the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
(a) The conditions were far worse than they could have imagined.
(b) It looked as if the conditions would be more favorable than at the place they came from.
(c) They seemed dismal, but not disagreeable, conditions.
(d) The conditions were about the same as the place they came from.
12. After they were shown the chimney at Birkenau, what was the crowd's reaction?
(a) They were completely silent.
(b) The crowd let out an audible sigh of relief.
(c) They cheered wildly.
(d) There was a brief uprising.
13. What was Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand in Chapter 4?
(a) Elie refused to smuggle food.
(b) Elie agreed to smuggle soap.
(c) Elie refused to give the foreman his tooth.
(d) Elie agreed to steal electrical parts.
14. In Chapter 2, how does Wiesel describe his train trip leaving Sighet?
15. In Chapter 3, how did Wiesel feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(b) He should have run and hid.
(c) He should have repeated the question.
(d) He should have attacked the assailant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interests did Moshe and Wiesel share?
2. How many words were spoken as the prisoners leave the train in Chapter 3?
3. What did Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
4. What was the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 2, where was the first stop the train makes?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)