|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elie get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
(a) They are covered with mud, so no one saw them.
(b) He keeps them because of an injury to his feet.
(c) He needs them for his job in the camp.
(d) He keeps them because of his age.
2. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
(a) The Gestapo keep it clean to make outsiders think they are humane.
(b) It is vandalized.
(c) It is burned to the ground.
(d) The Gestapo keep it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
3. How does Elie describe his train trip leaving Sighet?
4. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
(a) The community leaders plan a large celebration.
(b) Life returns to normal.
(c) The town becomes crime-ridden and economically depressed.
(d) Virtually everyone leaves Sighet.
5. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He feels he should have repeated the question.
(b) He thinks he should have attacked the assailant.
(c) He feels he should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(d) He thinks he should have run and hid.
6. After tiring of her screams, what do the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
(a) The men promise to put out the fire.
(b) They sit on her.
(c) They gag her, tie her up, and hit her in the head.
(d) The men continue to ignore her outbursts.
7. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
(a) The dentist's.
(b) The elderly man's.
(c) The young man's.
(d) The young boy's.
8. In chapter 3, what happens to the Jews at Birkenau once they leave the train?
(a) The children and adults are separated.
(b) The men and women are separated.
(c) They are given food and water.
(d) They are sent directly to hard labor in a rock quarry.
9. What is Auschwitz?
(a) The name of the Hungarian interpreter
(b) The name of the train they are on
(c) The reception center for Dachau
(d) The name of the "station" where the train stops
10. In chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what are the occupants allowed to have?
(c) Fresh clothing.
11. What is the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams?
(a) They peek through the bars but see nothing.
(b) They threaten to throw her from the train.
(c) They ignore her.
(d) They try to comfort her.
12. Who is in charge of Elie, his father and the other prisoners in this prison block?
(a) Elie's father.
(b) An SS officer.
(c) A German prisoner.
(d) A Polish prisoner.
13. What is the dentist's punishment after his arrest?
(a) The crematory.
(c) Firing squad.
14. In German language, what does the French girl who witnesses the event while Elie is working tell him to do?
(a) Seek immediate revenge on your attacker.
(b) Go to the infirmary.
(c) Bite your lip and don't cry.
(d) Cry and let your feelings out so you feel better.
15. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
(a) It does not detonate.
(b) It lands on the shelter of the SS officers.
(c) It destroys the block next to Elie's.
(d) The bomb destroys the chimney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response of the man looking for Wiesel of Sighet to Elie's news of his family?
2. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
3. What does Elie believe when he and his father are sent to the right after telling their ages to the officer at Birkenau?
4. After they are shown the chimney at Birkenau, what is the crowd's reaction?
5. In chapter 3, what is the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)