|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the people of Sighet regard Wiesel's father?
(a) He was considered arrogant and overbearing.
(b) He was known to be sensitive and emotional.
(c) He was thought to be untrustworthy.
(d) He was highly respected.
2. In Chapter 3, what lie did Wiesel tell a man who was looking for Wiesel of Sighat?
(a) That the man's family was at another camp.
(b) That the man's family was sent to the crematorium.
(c) That the man's family had not been heard from.
(d) That he knew the man's family was safe.
3. What did the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car in Chapter 2?
(a) A vacation.
(d) A person's name.
4. According to the German officer in Chapter 2, what happened to any Jews who kept their valuables?
(a) They were immediately sent to the furnace.
(b) They were shot.
(c) They were separated from their relatives.
(d) They were permitted to keep half their valuables.
5. What did Wiesel's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They offered rooms to relatives who had lost their homes.
(b) They hid Jews who were trying to escape.
(c) They gave their valuables to relatives who could hide them.
(d) They were forced to cook for the German soldiers.
6. After they were shown the chimney at Birkenau, what was the crowd's reaction?
(a) They were completely silent.
(b) There was a brief uprising.
(c) The crowd let out an audible sigh of relief.
(d) They cheered wildly.
7. What color was Tzipora's hair?
8. In German language, what did the French girl who witnessed the event while Elie iwa working tell him to do in Chapter 4?
(a) "Go to the infirmary."
(b) "Seek immediate revenge on your attacker."
(c) "Cry and let your feelings out so you feel better."
(d) "Bite your lip and do not cry."
9. What did the SS officer do the prisoners in Chapter 3 the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) Withheld their food and water.
(b) Forced them to march five miles.
(c) The SS officers made them watch the crematorium.
(d) Branded them with numbers.
10. After tiring of her screams, what did the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
(a) They hit her on the head.
(b) They sat on her.
(c) The men promised to put out the fire.
(d) The men continued to ignore her outbursts.
11. In Chapter 3, what were the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrived at Auschwitz?
(a) Run laps.
(b) Shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
(c) Clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
(d) Stand in formation for over an hour.
12. How long did it take one of the hanged prisoners to die at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) About a half an hour.
(c) 40 minutes.
(d) More than a half a hour.
13. Where did Moshe the Beadle work?
(a) He taught religion at a high school.
(b) With Elie's father.
(c) He did not have a job.
(d) A Hasidic synagogue.
14. In Chapter 3, what did the prisoners discuss after several weeks in the camp?
(a) They tried to figure out who among them would be sent to the crematorium.
(b) They formulate an escape plan.
(c) They discussed their jobs in the camp.
(d) A reason for their suffering.
15. How old was Mrs. Schachter?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the prisoners in Chapter 2, have to arrange themselves on the train?
2. In the spring of 1944, what did Elie wish his father would do?
3. How many prisoners were loaded into the cattle cars at the end of Chapter 1?
4. How did Moshe tell Weisel he escaped the Gestapo in 1944?
5. Before the prisoners were assigned to blocks in Chapter 4, where did they wait?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)