Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(b) They see fire.
(c) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
(d) They see barbed wire.
2. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
(a) He is afraid the guards will punish them for talking, so he tries to make the man leave quickly.
(b) He is afraid of the man.
(c) He wants to give hope to the man.
(d) Elie thought he was telling the truth.
3. What does Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
(a) He plans an uprising against the Hungarian police.
(b) He immerses himself in prayer.
(c) He devotes himself to helping other foreign Jews escape.
(d) He is engrossed in getting others to listen to his stories.
4. Where does Elie's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
(a) In the middle of a field.
(b) The railroad station.
(c) The main synagogue.
(d) A deserted warehouse.
5. What does Elie find when he returns from work, still possessing his father's knife and spoon?
(a) He finds a note from his father.
(b) His father has been selected.
(c) He finds that his father's possessions are gone.
(d) His father has not been selected.
6. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
(a) Elie's father is selected.
(b) Elie's father is not selected.
(c) Elie's father begins his new job in the kitchen.
(d) Elie's father is to be released from the camp.
7. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
(a) The community leaders plan a large celebration.
(b) Life returns to normal.
(c) The town becomes crime-ridden and economically depressed.
(d) Virtually everyone leaves Sighet.
8. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
(a) They think his troops are turning on him.
(b) They think he was killed or went into hiding.
(c) They believe he will conquer all of Europe.
(d) They believe he will soon be defeated.
9. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
(a) She is shot by the Hungarian police.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She goes insane.
(d) She becomes unresponsive.
10. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
(a) The new prisoners must take care of the chimney.
(b) Those selected are released from camp, then shot.
(c) The prisoners are required to begin their new jobs immediately.
(d) They are sent to the crematory.
11. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(a) A person's name.
(d) A vacation.
12. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
(a) It swells.
(b) It is amputated.
(c) It is severely injured at work.
(d) It is broken during a fight.
13. In chapter 4, what does the foreman want Elie to do?
(a) Smuggle soap from the shower.
(b) Give him his gold tooth.
(c) Steal electrical parts.
(d) Smuggle food from the kitchen.
14. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(b) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
(c) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
(d) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
15. When Elie is asked to report to the dentist, where is he coming from?
(b) His block.
(c) The shower.
(d) The kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
2. What is the dentist's punishment after his arrest?
3. What does Elie do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
4. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
5. Why is the dentist who didn't pull Elie's tooth arrested?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)