|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession did Wiesel claim in Chapter 3?
2. How did others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
(a) They questioned his sanity.
(b) They considered him to be a gifted storyteller.
(c) People regarded him as a great philosopher.
(d) They saw him as a prophet.
3. In Chapter 3, who was in charge of Wiesel, his father, and the other prisoners in the prison block?
(a) Wiesel's father.
(b) A German prisoner.
(c) A Polish prisoner.
(d) An SS officer.
4. What happened to the train on which Moshe was deported?
(a) The last few train cars derailed.
(b) The train crashed into a trestle.
(c) The train was taken over by the Gestapo in Polish territory.
(d) The Gestapo ordered the Jews on Moshe's train car to unload and walk to the destination.
5. When did Wiesel meet Moishe?
6. In Chapter 3, when Wiesel's father asked directions to the washroom, what happened to him?
(a) He was sent to the crematory.
(b) The officer knocked him to the ground.
(c) The officer yelled racial slurs at him.
(d) He was ignored.
7. Where did Wiesel and the others go first in Chapter 4?
(c) Mess hall.
(d) Work stations.
8. How did the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter in Chapter 2?
(a) They thought she was knowledgeable.
(b) They thought she was selfish.
(c) They thought she was a prophet.
(d) They thought she was insane.
9. What was Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand in Chapter 4?
(a) Elie refused to smuggle food.
(b) Elie agreed to smuggle soap.
(c) Elie agreed to steal electrical parts.
(d) Elie refused to give the foreman his tooth.
10. What did Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
(a) He devoted himself to helping other foreign Jews escape.
(b) He planned an uprising against the Hungarian police.
(c) He immersed himself in prayer.
(d) He was engrossed in getting others to listen to his stories.
11. What were the conditions inside the synagogue while Wiesel's group stayed there?
(a) Drafty and damp.
(b) Spacious and clean.
(c) Chaotic and noisy.
(d) Crowded and unsanitary.
12. Whose number is A-7713?
(d) Wiesel's father's.
13. How old were some of the youngest from Wiesel's convoy in Chapter 4?
(a) 10 and 12.
(b) 13 and 14.
(c) 8 and 9.
(d) 10 and 11.
14. What were the people wearing who jumped into the wagon at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) Gray uniforms.
(b) Striped jackets and black pants.
(c) Blue uniforms.
(d) White jackets and pants.
15. In Chapter 4 why was speaking German to Wiesel at the camp so risky for a young female prisoner?
(a) She was afraid of Elie's reaction.
(b) She did not know if Elie could understand her German.
(c) The authorities would have realized she was Jewish.
(d) She could have been killed for speaking German.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, first, what did Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
2. After they were shown the chimney at Birkenau, what was the crowd's reaction?
3. In Chapter 2, how does Wiesel describe his train trip leaving Sighet?
4. In Chapter 4, what was the dentist's punishment after his arrest?
5. What did the dentist find in Elie's mouth in Chapter 4?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)