|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the spring of 1944, what does Elie wish his father would do?
(a) Elie wants his father to spend more time with him.
(b) Elie wants his father to move the family to America.
(c) He wants his father to sell everything and go to Palestine.
(d) He wishes his father would help more Jews acquire safe passage.
2. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
(a) The Gestapo keep it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
(b) It is vandalized.
(c) It is burned to the ground.
(d) The Gestapo keep it clean to make outsiders think they are humane.
3. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She moans about the fact that they are all going to die.
(b) She cries about being separated from her family.
(c) She complains that she is ill.
(d) She complains about the conditions on the train.
4. Why doesn't the dentist pull Elie's tooth?
(a) Elie says the tooth doesn't hurt.
(b) Elie says he doesn't feel well.
(c) Elie says he is late for work.
(d) Elie tries to run away.
5. What does Elie see in the flames of the crematory?
(a) He sees children and babies.
(b) He sees his best friend from Sighet.
(c) He sees his mother and sister.
(d) He sees Moshe and Madame Schachter.
6. How do others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
(a) They question his sanity.
(b) People regard him as a great philosopher.
(c) They see him as a prophet.
(d) They consider him to be a gifted storyteller.
7. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He thinks he should have run and hid.
(b) He feels he should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(c) He feels he should have repeated the question.
(d) He thinks he should have attacked the assailant.
8. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They give their valuables to relatives who can hide them.
(b) They hide Jews who are trying to escape.
(c) They offer rooms to relatives who have lost their homes.
(d) They are forced to cook for the German soldiers.
9. How does Elie know Madame Schachter so well?
(a) She often visited his family's home.
(b) She is sitting next to him during the long train trip.
(c) She is his aunt.
(d) She is his teacher.
10. What is another requirement the Jews must adhere to, regarding their clothing?
(a) Each Jew must wear a yellow star.
(b) Each Jew must wear black or grey.
(c) All Jews must wear a black star.
(d) Jewish children are no longer permitted to wear school uniforms.
11. When Elie meets the woman who witnessed the event in Auschwitz while Elie was working after the war, what does she tell him?
(a) She saw his mother and sister go to a crematory at another camp.
(b) She is actually Jewish, not French.
(c) She is a distant relative.
(d) She was severely punished for speaking to Elie when he was beaten.
12. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) He refuses to eat it.
(b) He eats it, then vomits.
(c) He throws it back at the server.
(d) He eagerly consumes it.
13. The German officer who threatens to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compares them to what animal?
14. Where is Sighet?
15. What happens to a bomb that lands in the camp?
(a) It destroys the block next to Elie's.
(b) The bomb destroys the chimney.
(c) It does not detonate.
(d) It lands on the shelter of the SS officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response of the man looking for Wiesel of Sighet to Elie's news of his family?
2. In chapter 4, what was Elie's job in the camp?
3. What is the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams?
4. After tiring of her screams, what do the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
5. In chapter 4, what type of execution does Elie see for the first time?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)