|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elie believe when he and his father are sent to the right after telling their ages to the officer at Birkenau?
(a) He thinks they will be shot immediately.
(b) He thinks they are in the fortunate group.
(c) He believes that he and his father will now be separated.
(d) He believes they are being sent to the crematory.
2. How do the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter?
(a) They think she is insane.
(b) They think she is knowledgeable.
(c) They think she is a prophet.
(d) They think she is selfish.
3. How does Elie know Madame Schachter so well?
(a) She is sitting next to him during the long train trip.
(b) She often visited his family's home.
(c) She is his aunt.
(d) She is his teacher.
4. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) He eats it, then vomits.
(b) He throws it back at the server.
(c) He refuses to eat it.
(d) He eagerly consumes it.
5. What does Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
(a) He immerses himself in prayer.
(b) He plans an uprising against the Hungarian police.
(c) He is engrossed in getting others to listen to his stories.
(d) He devotes himself to helping other foreign Jews escape.
6. What is the lie that Elie tells to the man looking for Wiesel of Sighat?
(a) Elie tells the man that he saw them in the flames of the chimney.
(b) Elie tells the man that his mother knows his family is safe.
(c) Elie tells him that his family hasn't been heard from.
(d) Elie tells the man that they are at another camp.
7. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
(a) They are immediately sent to the furnace.
(b) They are separated from their relatives.
(c) They are permitted to keep half their valuables.
(d) They are shot.
8. In chapter 3, what happens to the Jews at Birkenau once they leave the train?
(a) They are given food and water.
(b) They are sent directly to hard labor in a rock quarry.
(c) The children and adults are separated.
(d) The men and women are separated.
9. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
(a) The man tries to kill Elie.
(b) The man tries to get Elie in trouble with the guards.
(c) The man tells Elie he understands why he lied.
(d) Elie never sees him again.
10. Why was speaking German to Elie at the camp so risky for a young female prisoner?
(a) She could have been killed for speaking German.
(b) She was afraid of Elie's reaction.
(c) The authorities would have realized she was Jewish.
(d) She didn't know if Elie could understand her German.
11. In chapter 4, what was Elie's job in the camp?
(a) He works in the camp kitchen.
(b) He assists the camp dentist.
(c) He works in the electrical warehouse.
(d) He cleans the camp showers.
12. The German officer who threatens to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compares them to what animal?
13. After the Germans arrest the Jewish leaders during Passover, what are the Jews required to do?
(a) They must leave the town and find their own accommodations.
(b) They are required to immediately surrender all their possessions.
(c) They must attend formation every morning at dawn.
(d) They must remain in their houses for three days.
14. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She moans about the fact that they are all going to die.
(b) She complains about the conditions on the train.
(c) She complains that she is ill.
(d) She cries about being separated from her family.
15. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He feels he should have repeated the question.
(b) He feels he should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(c) He thinks he should have attacked the assailant.
(d) He thinks he should have run and hid.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 4, what does the foreman want Elie to do?
2. Why does Elie get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
3. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
4. In chapter 3, what is the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
5. In German language, what does the French girl who witnesses the event while Elie is working tell him to do?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)