|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Madame Schachter react when the train began moving again in Chapter 2?
(a) She fell asleep.
(b) She began to scream again.
(c) She sat quietly in a corner of the train car.
(d) She became unconscious from her illness.
2. Before the prisoners were assigned to blocks in Chapter 4, where did they wait?
(a) Standing by the fence.
(b) On bleachers.
(d) Seated on the ground.
3. In the spring of 1944, what did the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
(a) They thought his troops were turning on him.
(b) That he was killed or went into hiding.
(c) That he would conquer all of Europe.
(d) That he would soon be defeated.
4. What happened to the train on which Moshe was deported?
(a) The Gestapo ordered the Jews on Moshe's train car to unload and walk to the destination.
(b) The train was taken over by the Gestapo in Polish territory.
(c) The last few train cars derailed.
(d) The train crashed into a trestle.
5. What did the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car in Chapter 2?
(b) A person's name.
(d) A vacation.
6. How did the prisoners in Chapter 2, have to arrange themselves on the train?
(a) They crouched.
(b) They all sat crowded elbow-to-elbow.
(c) Most stood up, some sat.
(d) They all stood.
7. In Chapter 4, what did the foreman want Wiesel to do?
(a) Give him his gold tooth.
(b) Smuggle food from the kitchen.
(c) Steal electrical parts.
(d) Smuggle soap from the shower.
8. What did Wiesel's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They gave their valuables to relatives who could hide them.
(b) They were forced to cook for the German soldiers.
(c) They hid Jews who were trying to escape.
(d) They offered rooms to relatives who had lost their homes.
9. In Chapter 3, what happened to the man who was looking for his family learned the truth?
(a) Wiesel never saw him again.
(b) The man told Wiesel he understood why he lied.
(c) The man tried to kill Wiesel.
(d) The man tried to get Wiesel in trouble with the guards.
10. In Chapter 4, what was Wiesel's job in the camp?
(a) He worked in the camp kitchen.
(b) He cleaned the camp showers.
(c) He assisted the camp dentist.
(d) He worked in the electrical warehouse.
11. How old were some of the youngest from Wiesel's convoy in Chapter 4?
(a) 10 and 11.
(b) 8 and 9.
(c) 10 and 12.
(d) 13 and 14.
12. Madame Schachter traveled with whom in Chapter 2?
(a) Her ten-year-old daughter.
(b) Her ten-year-old son.
(c) No one.
(d) Her husband and two oldest sons.
13. According to the German officer in Chapter 2, what happened to any Jews who kept their valuables?
(a) They were shot.
(b) They were separated from their relatives.
(c) They were permitted to keep half their valuables.
(d) They were immediately sent to the furnace.
14. What was the condition of the main synagogue when Wiesel's group reached it?
(a) The Gestapo kept it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
(b) It was burned to the ground.
(c) The Gestapo kept it clean to make outsiders think they were humane.
(d) It was vandalized.
15. How did others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
(a) They saw him as a prophet.
(b) People regarded him as a great philosopher.
(c) They questioned his sanity.
(d) They considered him to be a gifted storyteller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the dentist find in Elie's mouth in Chapter 4?
2. Where is Sighet?
3. How did Wiesel know Madame Schachter so well?
4. In Chapter 3, why did Wiesel get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
5. What color was Tzipora's hair?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)