|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the foreman's respond to Elie's refusal?
(a) The foreman tells the camp commander that Elie stole food.
(b) The foreman sends Elie to solitary confinement.
(c) The foreman beats Elie so his tooth falls out.
(d) The foreman abuses Elie's father.
2. What is the dentist's punishment after his arrest?
(b) The crematory.
(d) Firing squad.
3. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
(a) He says helping more Jews is too dangerous.
(b) He agrees to spend more time with Elie.
(c) He says he is too old to start over.
(d) He reminds Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
4. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
(b) They pretend that they are not frightened.
(c) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
(d) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
5. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
(a) She falls asleep.
(b) She becomes unconscious from her illness.
(c) She begins to scream again.
(d) She sits quietly in a corner of the train car.
6. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) He throws it back at the server.
(b) He refuses to eat it.
(c) He eagerly consumes it.
(d) He eats it, then vomits.
7. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
(a) It is burned to the ground.
(b) The Gestapo keep it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
(c) It is vandalized.
(d) The Gestapo keep it clean to make outsiders think they are humane.
8. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
(a) The learn that their town is being turned into a concentration camp.
(b) They find out that Hitler's army has strengthened.
(c) They find out that German troops are getting closer to Sighet.
(d) They learn that the deported occupants were executed.
9. What is Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand?
(a) Elie refuses to smuggle soap..
(b) Elie refuses to steal electrical parts.
(c) Elie refuses to smuggle food.
(d) Elie refuses to give the foreman his tooth.
10. How do others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
(a) They see him as a prophet.
(b) People regard him as a great philosopher.
(c) They question his sanity.
(d) They consider him to be a gifted storyteller.
11. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
(b) They are put on cattle cars.
(c) They are systematically executed.
(d) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
12. What is the response of the man looking for Wiesel of Sighet to Elie's news of his family?
(a) He collapses from grief.
(b) He remains quiet and returns to his place in the ranks.
(c) He weeps with joy.
(d) He cries bitterly and hysterically.
13. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see barbed wire.
(b) They see fire.
(c) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(d) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
14. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They give their valuables to relatives who can hide them.
(b) They are forced to cook for the German soldiers.
(c) They hide Jews who are trying to escape.
(d) They offer rooms to relatives who have lost their homes.
15. How do the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train?
(a) They threaten to send everyone to the furnace.
(b) They threaten to shoot everyone if even one person escapes.
(c) They threaten to withhold everyone's food and water.
(d) There is one officer to guard each Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
2. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
3. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
4. Why is the dentist who didn't pull Elie's tooth arrested?
5. In chapter 3, what is the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)