|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what were the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrived at Auschwitz?
(a) Shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
(b) Run laps.
(c) Stand in formation for over an hour.
(d) Clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
2. What was the condition of the main synagogue when Wiesel's group reached it?
(a) It was vandalized.
(b) It was burned to the ground.
(c) The Gestapo kept it clean to make outsiders think they were humane.
(d) The Gestapo kept it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
3. What was the responsibility of the men who cleared out the wagons?
(a) They scoured the wagons with boiling water.
(b) They repaired the wagons.
(c) They rotated the prisoners between the wagons.
(d) They took out the dead and burried them.
4. In Chapter 4 why was speaking German to Wiesel at the camp so risky for a young female prisoner?
(a) The authorities would have realized she was Jewish.
(b) She was afraid of Elie's reaction.
(c) She did not know if Elie could understand her German.
(d) She could have been killed for speaking German.
5. After the Germans arrested the Jewish leaders during Passover, what were the Jews required to do?
(a) Remain in their houses for three days.
(b) Leave the town and find their own accommodations.
(c) Immediately surrender all their possessions.
(d) Attend formation every morning at dawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Elie's reaction to the foreman's demand in Chapter 4?
2. As the prisoners traveled on the train in Chapter 7, what did they eat?
3. At Birkenau, what did a fellow prisoner tell Wiesel and his father to do?
4. In Chapter 9 on April 5, how long did the prisoners stand inside the block waiting for an SS office to count them?
5. In Chapter 2, how does Wiesel describe his train trip leaving Sighet?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)