|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 (Pages 107 Ã‚â€“ 109).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
(b) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
(c) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
(d) They pretend that they are not frightened.
2. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
(b) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
(c) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
(d) She can only be consoled by Elie.
3. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
(b) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
(c) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
(d) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
4. How does the foreman's respond to Elie's refusal?
(a) The foreman sends Elie to solitary confinement.
(b) The foreman abuses Elie's father.
(c) The foreman tells the camp commander that Elie stole food.
(d) The foreman beats Elie so his tooth falls out.
5. The German officer who threatens to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compares them to what animal?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meir Katz, another prisoner, do when Elie calls for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
2. What does Elie find in the morning at the deserted village?
3. How do the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter?
4. What does Elie struggle to do when he finds himself in the deserted village?
5. Who does Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)