|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 (Pages 63 Ã‚â€“ 80).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She moans about the fact that they are all going to die.
(b) She complains about the conditions on the train.
(c) She complains that she is ill.
(d) She cries about being separated from her family.
2. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
(b) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
(c) They formulate a plan for escape.
(d) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
3. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
(a) She continues to be hysterical.
(b) She becomes extremely violent.
(c) She becomes eerily quiet.
(d) She finally calms down.
4. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Neither Elie nor his father is called.
(b) Both Elie and his father are called.
(c) Elie's father's number is called.
(d) Elie's number is called.
5. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) He eats it, then vomits.
(b) He throws it back at the server.
(c) He eagerly consumes it.
(d) He refuses to eat it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Birkenau?
2. What does Elie see in the flames of the crematory?
3. How are the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
4. What happens when Elie wants to sleep in the snow?
5. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)