|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 (Pages 63 Ã‚â€“ 80).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
(a) It is broken during a fight.
(b) It swells.
(c) It is severely injured at work.
(d) It is amputated.
2. After tiring of her screams, what do the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
(a) They gag her, tie her up, and hit her in the head.
(b) The men promise to put out the fire.
(c) They sit on her.
(d) The men continue to ignore her outbursts.
3. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
(b) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(c) They see fire.
(d) They see barbed wire.
4. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(b) They are systematically executed.
(c) They are put on cattle cars.
(d) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
5. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
(a) She finally calms down.
(b) She continues to be hysterical.
(c) She becomes extremely violent.
(d) She becomes eerily quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elie do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
2. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
3. After the Germans arrest the Jewish leaders during Passover, what are the Jews required to do?
4. What does Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
5. What realization does Elie come to when he remembers the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)