|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 (Pages 63 Ã‚â€“ 80).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
(a) They are permitted to keep half their valuables.
(b) They are immediately sent to the furnace.
(c) They are separated from their relatives.
(d) They are shot.
2. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) They must stand in formation for over an hour.
(b) They are ordered to clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
(c) They are forced to run laps.
(d) They are forced to shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
3. How does Moshe's experience change him?
(a) He becomes optimistic about the situation.
(b) He attempts to leave his beloved hometown and country.
(c) He loses interest in the things he loves.
(d) He tries to commit suicide.
4. At Birkenau, what does the fellow prisoner tell Elie and his father to do?
(a) He tells them to lie about their ages.
(b) He tells them to keep their eyes averted downward at all times.
(c) He tells them to smile.
(d) He tells them to be sure to tell the truth about their ages.
5. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
(a) Elie thought he was telling the truth.
(b) He wants to give hope to the man.
(c) He is afraid the guards will punish them for talking, so he tries to make the man leave quickly.
(d) He is afraid of the man.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 3, what happens to the Jews at Birkenau once they leave the train?
2. Why doesn't the dentist pull Elie's tooth?
3. What happens to Zalman, Elie's acquaintance, when he collapses with a stomach ache?
4. What happens when Elie wants to sleep in the snow?
5. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)