|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4 (Pages 45 62).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the SS officers do to the prisoners the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) They force them to march on a five mile hike.
(b) The SS officers make them watch the chimney.
(c) They brand them with numbers.
(d) They withhold their food and water.
2. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) He eats it, then vomits.
(b) He throws it back at the server.
(c) He refuses to eat it.
(d) He eagerly consumes it.
3. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
(a) The young man's.
(b) The elderly man's.
(c) The young boy's.
(d) The dentist's.
4. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They are put on cattle cars.
(b) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(c) They are systematically executed.
(d) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
5. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
(b) They see fire.
(c) They see barbed wire.
(d) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In particular, what do the occupants of the cattle car need?
2. How does Elie describe his train trip leaving Sighet?
3. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
4. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
5. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)