|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4 (Pages 45 Ã‚â€“ 62).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) They are forced to run laps.
(b) They must stand in formation for over an hour.
(c) They are ordered to clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
(d) They are forced to shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
2. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He surrenders their valuables to the Germans.
(b) He buries their savings in the basement.
(c) He destroys their valuables rather that surrender them.
(d) He gives their savings to a relative who can safely hide them.
3. In chapter 4, what was Elie's job in the camp?
(a) He works in the electrical warehouse.
(b) He cleans the camp showers.
(c) He works in the camp kitchen.
(d) He assists the camp dentist.
4. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that they are not frightened.
(b) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
(c) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
(d) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
5. Madame Schachter travels with whom?
(a) No one.
(b) Her ten-year-old daughter.
(c) Her ten-year-old son.
(d) Her husband and two oldest sons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
2. How do the Jews sleep the first night in the prison block at Auschwitz?
3. What happens to Madame Schachter as a result of the train trip?
4. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
5. How does Moshe's experience change him?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)