|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4 (Pages 45 Ã‚â€“ 62).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was speaking German to Elie at the camp so risky for a young female prisoner?
(a) She didn't know if Elie could understand her German.
(b) She could have been killed for speaking German.
(c) The authorities would have realized she was Jewish.
(d) She was afraid of Elie's reaction.
2. The German officer who threatens to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compares them to what animal?
3. Why doesn't the dentist pull Elie's tooth?
(a) Elie says the tooth doesn't hurt.
(b) Elie says he doesn't feel well.
(c) Elie tries to run away.
(d) Elie says he is late for work.
4. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
(a) He works with Elie's father.
(b) He does not have a job.
(c) He teaches religion at a high school.
(d) He works at a Hasidic synagogue.
5. In chapter 3, what is the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
(a) The conditions are about the same as the place they came from.
(b) It looks as if the conditions will be more favorable than at the place they came from.
(c) They see dismal, but not disagreeable, conditions.
(d) The conditions are far worse than they could have imagined.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 3, why does Elie's father ask directions to the washroom?
2. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
3. What does Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
4. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
5. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)