|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4 (Pages 45 62).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
(a) They believe he will conquer all of Europe.
(b) They think his troops are turning on him.
(c) They think he was killed or went into hiding.
(d) They believe he will soon be defeated.
2. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(a) A vacation.
(b) A person's name.
3. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He buries their savings in the basement.
(b) He destroys their valuables rather that surrender them.
(c) He surrenders their valuables to the Germans.
(d) He gives their savings to a relative who can safely hide them.
4. What is Birkenau?
(a) The reception area for Kaschau.
(b) The reception area for Auschwitz.
(c) The reception area for Dachau.
(d) The reception area for Bergen-Belsen.
5. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
(a) They are permitted to keep half their valuables.
(b) They are shot.
(c) They are separated from their relatives.
(d) They are immediately sent to the furnace.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Elie witnesses his first execution of this type, which victim's execution affects him more?
2. What are the conditions inside the synagogue while Elie's group stays there?
3. Where do the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews see as they exit the train at Birkenau?
4. How does Moshe tell Elie he escapes the Gestapo in 1944?
5. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)