|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 (Pages 27 Ã‚â€“ 43).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in charge of Elie, his father and the other prisoners in this prison block?
(a) A Polish prisoner.
(b) A German prisoner.
(c) Elie's father.
(d) An SS officer.
2. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She complains about the conditions on the train.
(b) She cries about being separated from her family.
(c) She complains that she is ill.
(d) She moans about the fact that they are all going to die.
3. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
(a) The Gestapo keep it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
(b) It is burned to the ground.
(c) It is vandalized.
(d) The Gestapo keep it clean to make outsiders think they are humane.
4. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
(a) He reminds Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
(b) He says he is too old to start over.
(c) He says helping more Jews is too dangerous.
(d) He agrees to spend more time with Elie.
5. How do the Jews sleep the first night in the prison block at Auschwitz?
(a) They sleep restlessly.
(b) They sleep soundly.
(c) They are not permitted to sleep.
(d) They are awoken every hour for roll call.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
2. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
3. What do the SS officers do to the prisoners the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
4. What does the author say the cattle car is?
5. As the train trip continues, what does Madame Schachter scream about?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)