|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 (Pages 27 43).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
(a) He buries their savings in the basement.
(b) He gives their savings to a relative who can safely hide them.
(c) He destroys their valuables rather that surrender them.
(d) He surrenders their valuables to the Germans.
2. What does the chimney represent for the prisoners?
3. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
(a) Life returns to normal.
(b) Virtually everyone leaves Sighet.
(c) The community leaders plan a large celebration.
(d) The town becomes crime-ridden and economically depressed.
4. Where do the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews see as they exit the train at Birkenau?
(a) A bonfire.
(b) A chimney.
(c) A house.
(d) An overturned cattle car.
5. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
(a) She sits quietly in a corner of the train car.
(b) She begins to scream again.
(c) She becomes unconscious from her illness.
(d) She falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
2. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
3. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
4. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
5. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)