|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 (Pages 27 Ã‚â€“ 43).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the SS officers do to the prisoners the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) They withhold their food and water.
(b) They brand them with numbers.
(c) The SS officers make them watch the chimney.
(d) They force them to march on a five mile hike.
2. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
(b) They formulate a plan for escape.
(c) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
(d) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
3. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(b) They are systematically executed.
(c) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
(d) They are put on cattle cars.
4. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
(b) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
(c) They pretend that they are not frightened.
(d) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
5. What is A-7713?
(a) The emergency code for an escaped prisoner.
(b) The number branded on the arm of Elie's father.
(c) The number branded on Elie's arm.
(d) The number of Elie's prison block.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
2. In the spring of 1944, what does Elie wish his father would do?
3. Madame Schachter travels with whom?
4. How does Moshe tell Elie he escapes the Gestapo in 1944?
5. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)