|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 (Pages 27 43).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
(a) Life returns to normal.
(b) Virtually everyone leaves Sighet.
(c) The community leaders plan a large celebration.
(d) The town becomes crime-ridden and economically depressed.
2. In chapter 3, why does Elie's father ask directions to the washroom?
(a) He is ill with colic.
(b) A friend of Elie's father is ill.
(c) Elie's father needs to wash a blood stain from his shirt.
(d) He needs to wash a wound.
3. Where do the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews see as they exit the train at Birkenau?
(a) An overturned cattle car.
(b) A house.
(c) A chimney.
(d) A bonfire.
4. What does Madame Schachter do after the confrontation with the men on the train?
(a) She becomes extremely violent.
(b) She becomes eerily quiet.
(c) She finally calms down.
(d) She continues to be hysterical.
5. What is A-7713?
(a) The number branded on the arm of Elie's father.
(b) The number of Elie's prison block.
(c) The number branded on Elie's arm.
(d) The emergency code for an escaped prisoner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Birkenau?
2. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
3. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
4. How do the Jews sleep the first night in the prison block at Auschwitz?
5. In chapter 3, what happens to the Jews at Birkenau once they leave the train?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)