|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to give themselves hope, what did Wiesel and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz in Chapter 3?
(a) That Wiesel's mother and Tzipora were in a labor camp, not dead.
(b) That the experience was just a dream, and that they would awaken soon.
(c) That they were not frightened.
(d) That they were on a secret mission.
2. In Chapter 3, why did Wiesel get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
(a) They were covered with mud, so no one saw them.
(b) He needed them for his job in the camp.
(c) Because of his age.
(d) Due to an injury to his feet.
3. What did Wiesel's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They hid Jews who were trying to escape.
(b) They offered rooms to relatives who had lost their homes.
(c) They gave their valuables to relatives who could hide them.
(d) They were forced to cook for the German soldiers.
4. What did Wiesel believe when he and his father were sent to the right after telling their ages to the officer at Birkenau?
(a) He thought they would be shot immediately.
(b) He believed they were being sent to the crematory.
(c) He believed that he and his father would be separated.
(d) He thought they were in the fortunate group.
5. What was the condition of the main synagogue when Wiesel's group reached it?
(a) It was burned to the ground.
(b) It was vandalized.
(c) The Gestapo kept it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
(d) The Gestapo kept it clean to make outsiders think they were humane.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter in Chapter 2?
2. What happened to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrived?
3. In Chapter 2, what is Auschwitz?
4. What is Birkenau in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 1, what did Wiesel like about Moishe?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)