|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 (Pages 27 43).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the spring of 1944, what does Elie wish his father would do?
(a) Elie wants his father to move the family to America.
(b) Elie wants his father to spend more time with him.
(c) He wishes his father would help more Jews acquire safe passage.
(d) He wants his father to sell everything and go to Palestine.
2. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
(b) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
(c) They formulate a plan for escape.
(d) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
3. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see fire.
(b) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
(c) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(d) They see barbed wire.
4. Where do the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews see as they exit the train at Birkenau?
(a) An overturned cattle car.
(b) A house.
(c) A bonfire.
(d) A chimney.
5. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
(a) He says he is too old to start over.
(b) He agrees to spend more time with Elie.
(c) He reminds Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
(d) He says helping more Jews is too dangerous.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
2. At the end of chapter one, where do the Hungarian police send the Jews?
3. How do the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train?
4. What does the chimney represent for the prisoners?
5. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)