|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 (Pages 21 26).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
(a) The Gestapo keep it clean to make outsiders think they are humane.
(b) It is vandalized.
(c) It is burned to the ground.
(d) The Gestapo keep it clean to lull the Jews into a false sense of security.
2. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
(a) He teaches religion at a high school.
(b) He works at a Hasidic synagogue.
(c) He works with Elie's father.
(d) He does not have a job.
3. At the end of chapter one, where do the Hungarian police send the Jews?
(a) They are jammed onto packed railroad passenger cars.
(b) They are crammed onto crowded cattle wagons.
(c) They are forced to walk miles to their destination.
(d) They are ordered onto filthy trucks.
4. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She cries about being separated from her family.
(b) She complains that she is ill.
(c) She complains about the conditions on the train.
(d) She moans about the fact that they are all going to die.
5. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She can only be consoled by Elie.
(b) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
(c) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
(d) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
2. As the train trip continues, what does Madame Schachter scream about?
3. The German officer who threatens to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compares them to what animal?
4. How do the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter?
5. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)