|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 (Pages 21 26).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train?
(a) They threaten to send everyone to the furnace.
(b) They threaten to shoot everyone if even one person escapes.
(c) They threaten to withhold everyone's food and water.
(d) There is one officer to guard each Jew.
2. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
(a) They think he was killed or went into hiding.
(b) They think his troops are turning on him.
(c) They believe he will conquer all of Europe.
(d) They believe he will soon be defeated.
3. How do the people of Sighet regard Elie's father?
(a) He is sensitive and emotional.
(b) He is highly respected.
(c) He is arrogant and overbearing.
(d) He is untrustworthy.
4. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They are put on cattle cars.
(b) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(c) They are systematically executed.
(d) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
5. What is Auschwitz?
(a) The reception center for Dachau
(b) The name of the Hungarian interpreter
(c) The name of the train they are on
(d) The name of the "station" where the train stops
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
2. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
3. What interest do Moshe and Elie share?
4. How do others perceive Moshe after his deportation experience?
5. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)