|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 (Pages 21 26).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She moans about the fact that they are all going to die.
(b) She complains that she is ill.
(c) She complains about the conditions on the train.
(d) She cries about being separated from her family.
2. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(b) They see barbed wire.
(c) They see fire.
(d) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
3. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They are put on cattle cars.
(b) They are systematically executed.
(c) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(d) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
4. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
(b) She can only be consoled by Elie.
(c) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
(d) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
5. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They offer rooms to relatives who have lost their homes.
(b) They give their valuables to relatives who can hide them.
(c) They hide Jews who are trying to escape.
(d) They are forced to cook for the German soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the train on which Moshe is deported?
2. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
3. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
4. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
5. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)