|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what was the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
(a) The conditions were about the same as the place they came from.
(b) It looked as if the conditions would be more favorable than at the place they came from.
(c) They seemed dismal, but not disagreeable, conditions.
(d) The conditions were far worse than they could have imagined.
2. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Wiesel by his father in Chapter 5?
(a) It shows how little they had.
(b) It was a secret code between Elie and his father.
(c) It meant there would be a prayer meeting that night behind the kitchen.
(d) It meant Elie's father now worked in the kitchen.
3. In Chapter 3, how did Wiesel feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
(a) He should have repeated the question.
(b) He should have yelled racial slurs back at the attacker.
(c) He should have run and hid.
(d) He should have attacked the assailant.
4. In order to give themselves hope, what did Wiesel and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz in Chapter 3?
(a) That they were on a secret mission.
(b) That the experience was just a dream, and that they would awaken soon.
(c) That they were not frightened.
(d) That Wiesel's mother and Tzipora were in a labor camp, not dead.
5. Why did Rabbi Elichou's son perform the action that Elie remembers?
(a) He wanted to be a rabbi like his father.
(b) He worked in the hospital at the camp.
(c) He wanted to get away from his father.
(d) He was tortured at the camp which caused him to go insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what was the first thing the Jews swa as the train stopped before they got off?
2. In Chapter 3, what age did Wiesel claim to be?
3. What was the weather like at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 5, how many crematoria work day and night?
5. In Chapter 5, what did Wiesel find when he returned from work, when he still had possession of his father's knife and spoon?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)