|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8 (Pages 99 Ã‚â€“ 106).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is A-7713?
(a) The number branded on Elie's arm.
(b) The emergency code for an escaped prisoner.
(c) The number branded on the arm of Elie's father.
(d) The number of Elie's prison block.
2. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She can only be consoled by Elie.
(b) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
(c) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
(d) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
3. What do Elie and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp?
(a) They choose to remain in the hospital.
(b) They choose to hide in an air raid shelter.
(c) Elie chooses to join the Russian army.
(d) They choose to evacuate.
4. How do the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train?
(a) They threaten to shoot everyone if even one person escapes.
(b) There is one officer to guard each Jew.
(c) They threaten to withhold everyone's food and water.
(d) They threaten to send everyone to the furnace.
5. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
(a) They are permitted to keep half their valuables.
(b) They are immediately sent to the furnace.
(c) They are separated from their relatives.
(d) They are shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "selection"?
2. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
3. Where does Elie's group stay after being forced out of the ghetto?
4. Why doesn't Elie fast on Yom Kippur?
5. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)