|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, why did Wiesel get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
(a) They were covered with mud, so no one saw them.
(b) Because of his age.
(c) Due to an injury to his feet.
(d) He needed them for his job in the camp.
2. How did the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train in Chapter 2?
(a) There was one officer to guard each Jew.
(b) They threatened to shoot everyone if even one person escaped.
(c) They threatened to withhold everyone's food and water.
(d) They threatened to send everyone to the furnace.
3. What did some of the young do in Chapter 2 under the cover of darkness?
(a) Sit on one another's laps.
(b) Caress one another.
(c) Comfort one another.
(d) Hug one another.
4. What was another requirement the Jews must adhere to, regarding their clothing?
(a) Jewish children were no longer permitted to wear school uniforms.
(b) Each Jew had to wear black or grey.
(c) Each Jew had to wear a yellow star.
(d) All Jews had to wear a black star.
5. What happened to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrived?
(a) They were put on cattle cars.
(b) They were systematically executed.
(c) They were confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
(d) They had to surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car in Chapter 2?
2. What does the author say the cattle car is in Chapter 2?
3. After the Germans arrested the Jewish leaders during Passover, what were the Jews required to do?
4. In Chapter 3, what happened to the Jews at Birkenau once they left the train?
5. Where did the flames appear to be coming from that the Jews saw as they exit the train at Birkenau in Chapter 2?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)