|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 (Pages 27 Ã‚â€“ 43).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
(a) Elie thought he was telling the truth.
(b) He wants to give hope to the man.
(c) He is afraid of the man.
(d) He is afraid the guards will punish them for talking, so he tries to make the man leave quickly.
2. What are the conditions inside the synagogue while Elie's group stays there?
(a) Chaotic and noisy.
(b) Spacious and clean.
(c) Crowded and unsanitary.
(d) Drafty and damp.
3. After tiring of her screams, what do the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
(a) The men promise to put out the fire.
(b) They sit on her.
(c) They gag her, tie her up, and hit her in the head.
(d) The men continue to ignore her outbursts.
4. After the Germans arrest the Jewish leaders during Passover, what are the Jews required to do?
(a) They must leave the town and find their own accommodations.
(b) They must attend formation every morning at dawn.
(c) They are required to immediately surrender all their possessions.
(d) They must remain in their houses for three days.
5. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She can only be consoled by Elie.
(b) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
(c) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
(d) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sighet?
2. How does Elie's father respond to the order that Jews are not allowed to keep valuables in the house?
3. How does Elie describe his train trip leaving Sighet?
4. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
5. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)