|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 (Pages 27 Ã‚â€“ 43).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
(a) They are separated from their relatives.
(b) They are permitted to keep half their valuables.
(c) They are immediately sent to the furnace.
(d) They are shot.
2. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
(a) He reminds Elie of the impossibility of moving to America.
(b) He says he is too old to start over.
(c) He agrees to spend more time with Elie.
(d) He says helping more Jews is too dangerous.
3. What happens to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrive?
(a) They are systematically executed.
(b) They are confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
(c) They must surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(d) They are put on cattle cars.
4. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
(b) They formulate a plan for escape.
(c) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
(d) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
5. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
(a) He teaches religion at a high school.
(b) He works at a Hasidic synagogue.
(c) He does not have a job.
(d) He works with Elie's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
2. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
3. What interest do Moshe and Elie share?
4. What is the initial reaction of the men in the train car to Madame Schachter's screams?
5. What is Auschwitz?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)