|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 (Pages 27 43).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the German officers keep anyone from escaping from the train?
(a) There is one officer to guard each Jew.
(b) They threaten to send everyone to the furnace.
(c) They threaten to withhold everyone's food and water.
(d) They threaten to shoot everyone if even one person escapes.
2. After the Germans arrest the Jewish leaders during Passover, what are the Jews required to do?
(a) They are required to immediately surrender all their possessions.
(b) They must remain in their houses for three days.
(c) They must leave the town and find their own accommodations.
(d) They must attend formation every morning at dawn.
3. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
(a) She can only be consoled by Elie.
(b) The only comfort she finds is in unconsciousness.
(c) She is comforted by the fact that the men will protect her.
(d) She cannot be consoled by anyone.
4. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They give their valuables to relatives who can hide them.
(b) They hide Jews who are trying to escape.
(c) They offer rooms to relatives who have lost their homes.
(d) They are forced to cook for the German soldiers.
5. What troubling news do the people of Sighet learn in the spring of 1944?
(a) The learn that their town is being turned into a concentration camp.
(b) They learn that the deported occupants were executed.
(c) They find out that Hitler's army has strengthened.
(d) They find out that German troops are getting closer to Sighet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
2. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
3. The German officer who threatens to shoot the occupants of the cattle car compares them to what animal?
4. In particular, what do the occupants of the cattle car need?
5. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)