|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the train trip continued, what did Madame Schachter scream about in Chapter 2?
(a) She screamed for more food and water.
(b) She continued to complain that she was ill.
(c) She screamed about fire, flames, and a furnace.
(d) She worried that the train would derail.
2. How did the people of Sighet regard Wiesel's father?
(a) He was considered arrogant and overbearing.
(b) He was thought to be untrustworthy.
(c) He was known to be sensitive and emotional.
(d) He was highly respected.
3. What happened to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrived?
(a) They were systematically executed.
(b) They were confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
(c) They were put on cattle cars.
(d) They had to surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
4. What was Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screamed on the cattle car in Chapter 2?
(a) She could only be consoled by Elie.
(b) She could not be consoled by anyone.
(c) The only comfort she found was in unconsciousness.
(d) She was comforted by the fact that the men would protect her.
5. What did Moshe the Beadle focus on after his deportation?
(a) He immersed himself in prayer.
(b) He devoted himself to helping other foreign Jews escape.
(c) He was engrossed in getting others to listen to his stories.
(d) He planned an uprising against the Hungarian police.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, when Wiesel's father asked directions to the washroom, what happened to him?
2. In Chapter 2, at one of the train stops, what were the occupants allowed to have?
3. Why did Wiesel lie to the man who was looking for his family in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 3, why did Wiesel's father ask directions to the washroom?
5. What were the people wearing who jumped into the wagon at the end of Chapter 2?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)