|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 (Pages 63 Ã‚â€“ 80).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
(a) Those selected are released from camp, then shot.
(b) The prisoners are required to begin their new jobs immediately.
(c) They are sent to the crematory.
(d) The new prisoners must take care of the chimney.
2. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
(a) There is a seating and sleeping area.
(b) There are games and a victrola.
(c) Each Jew has a sleeping bag and provisions.
(d) The conditions are crowded and hot.
3. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They hide Jews who are trying to escape.
(b) They give their valuables to relatives who can hide them.
(c) They are forced to cook for the German soldiers.
(d) They offer rooms to relatives who have lost their homes.
4. In chapter 2, what is the first thing the Jews see as the train stops before they get off?
(a) They see barbed wire.
(b) They see men and women digging in a rock quarry.
(c) They see the occupants of the camp lined up in formation.
(d) They see fire.
5. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that they are not frightened.
(b) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
(c) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
(d) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elie's father respond to his son's wish?
2. What do the SS officers do to the prisoners the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
3. At first, what does Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
4. How does the foreman's respond to Elie's refusal?
5. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)