|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what was the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
(a) The conditions were about the same as the place they came from.
(b) They seemed dismal, but not disagreeable, conditions.
(c) It looked as if the conditions would be more favorable than at the place they came from.
(d) The conditions were far worse than they could have imagined.
2. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
(b) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(c) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
(d) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
3. After tiring of her screams, what did the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
(a) They hit her on the head.
(b) The men promised to put out the fire.
(c) They sat on her.
(d) The men continued to ignore her outbursts.
4. According to the German officer in Chapter 2, what happened to any Jews who kept their valuables?
(a) They were separated from their relatives.
(b) They were shot.
(c) They were immediately sent to the furnace.
(d) They were permitted to keep half their valuables.
5. What happened to the foreign Jews in Sighet when the Hungarian police arrived?
(a) They were systematically executed.
(b) They were put on cattle cars.
(c) They had to surrender all their possessions and walk to the nearest detention center.
(d) They were confined to run-down, unsanitary ghettos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sighet?
2. How long did it take for the conditions on the train in Chapter 2 to become intolerable?
3. As the train trip continued, what did Madame Schachter scream about in Chapter 2?
4. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Wiesel by his father in Chapter 5?
5. Why did Wiesel lie to the man who was looking for his family in Chapter 3?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)