|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4 (Pages 45 62).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the lie that Elie tells to the man looking for Wiesel of Sighat?
(a) Elie tells him that his family hasn't been heard from.
(b) Elie tells the man that they are at another camp.
(c) Elie tells the man that his mother knows his family is safe.
(d) Elie tells the man that he saw them in the flames of the chimney.
2. After tiring of her screams, what do the men finally do to quiet Madame Schachter?
(a) The men promise to put out the fire.
(b) They sit on her.
(c) The men continue to ignore her outbursts.
(d) They gag her, tie her up, and hit her in the head.
3. What do Elie and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp?
(a) Elie chooses to join the Russian army.
(b) They choose to remain in the hospital.
(c) They choose to evacuate.
(d) They choose to hide in an air raid shelter.
4. In chapter 3, what is the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
(a) They see dismal, but not disagreeable, conditions.
(b) It looks as if the conditions will be more favorable than at the place they came from.
(c) The conditions are far worse than they could have imagined.
(d) The conditions are about the same as the place they came from.
5. What does Elie do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
(a) He is the prayer leader.
(b) He loudly criticizes those who are praising.
(c) He criticizes God.
(d) He joins with the others in offering praise.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does "selection" work?
2. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
3. What can Elie do when rumors start that the Russians are approaching the camp?
4. According to the German officer in chapter 2, what happens to any Jews who keep their valuables?
5. At the end of chapter one, where do the Hungarian police send the Jews?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)