|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 (Pages 63 Ã‚â€“ 80).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
(b) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
(c) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(d) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
2. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that they are not frightened.
(b) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
(c) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
(d) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
3. After the war, what does Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp?
(a) The Russians liberated those in the hospital two days after the evacuation.
(b) The Russians never entered the camp.
(c) Anyone who remained in camp was taken prisoner by the Russians.
(d) The camp authorities massacred everyone who remained in camp.
4. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(b) A person's name.
(c) A vacation.
5. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
(a) The foreman's continual abuse of Elie's father.
(b) Tiring of personal abuse from the foreman.
(c) Getting on the good side of the camp commander.
(d) Getting out of solitary confinement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the others in the cattle car perceive Madame Schachter?
2. What are the conditions for the Jews on the train?
3. How does Madame Schachter react when the train begins moving again?
4. Who is in charge of Elie, his father and the other prisoners in this prison block?
5. In particular, what do the occupants of the cattle car need?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)