|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 1, where did the Hungarian police send the Jews?
(a) They were jammed onto packed railroad passenger cars.
(b) They were ordered onto filthy trucks.
(c) They were forced to walk miles to their destination.
(d) They were crammed onto crowded cattle wagons.
2. At Birkenau, what did a fellow prisoner tell Wiesel and his father to do?
(a) Keep their eyes averted downward at all times.
(b) Be sure to tell the truth about their ages.
(c) Lie about their ages.
3. In Chapter 2, first, what did Madame Schachter cry and moan about?
(a) She complained about the conditions on the train.
(b) She moaned about the fact that they were all going to die.
(c) She cried about being separated from her family.
(d) She complained that she was ill.
4. What did Wiesel do as other Jews praise God on Rosh Hashanah?
(a) He was the prayer leader.
(b) He loudly criticized those who were praising.
(c) He criticized God.
(d) He joined with the others in offering praise.
5. What happened to the train on which Moshe was deported?
(a) The Gestapo ordered the Jews on Moshe's train car to unload and walk to the destination.
(b) The last few train cars derailed.
(c) The train crashed into a trestle.
(d) The train was taken over by the Gestapo in Polish territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "selection"?
2. In Chapter 5, what did the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
3. Why did Wiesel lie to the man who was looking for his family in Chapter 3?
4. How were the Jews supposed to get to the next prison block at Auschwitz?
5. What color were the eyes of the man who joined the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 4?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)