|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4 (Pages 45 62).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
(c) A vacation.
(d) A person's name.
2. As the train trip continues, what does Madame Schachter scream about?
(a) She worries that the train will derail.
(b) She screams for more food and water.
(c) She screams about fire, flames, and a furnace.
(d) She continues to complain that she is ill.
3. In the spring of 1944, what do the people of Sighet believe about Hitler?
(a) They believe he will soon be defeated.
(b) They believe he will conquer all of Europe.
(c) They think he was killed or went into hiding.
(d) They think his troops are turning on him.
4. What does Elie's family do while living in their house in the ghetto?
(a) They give their valuables to relatives who can hide them.
(b) They offer rooms to relatives who have lost their homes.
(c) They hide Jews who are trying to escape.
(d) They are forced to cook for the German soldiers.
5. Why does Elie get to keep his shoes at the concentration camp?
(a) He keeps them because of an injury to his feet.
(b) They are covered with mud, so no one saw them.
(c) He keeps them because of his age.
(d) He needs them for his job in the camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interest do Moshe and Elie share?
2. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
3. What happens when the man looking for his family learns the truth?
4. In chapter 3, what is the first impression of Auschwitz by the prisoners on their arrival?
5. What is Madame Schachter's frame of mind as she screams on the cattle car?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)