|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has gathered for what?
2. What does Nicholas discover about the young man?
3. What does the company recount?
4. To whom does Nicholas pay his final call of the evening?
5. Ralph orders Noggs to get a coach to take them to the Strand, which Noggs realizes will take Ralph where?
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Nicholas. What does he represent?
Part 2) How does one know this is how he is symbolic?
Part 3) Why does the playwright use Nicholas to be symbolic? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
Essay Topic 3
A section of the play shows the poorest, nastiest, and most desperate sections of London.
Part 1) Describe these sections of London. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) Compare these poor sections to the other settings mentioned.
Part 3) How does this reinforce a characteristic of Dickens' stories?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)