|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas paid a call on the Kenwigs,' who have had another baby which Mr. Kenwigs has called what?
2. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
3. What is learned about the Cheerybles?
4. What does Smike ask Nicholas, when he has gone with them to their home in the country?
5. In Hawk's apartments, Pluck and Pyke inform him of what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A key aspect of Dickens' work, in general, is the detail and breadth of his characters.
Part 1) Who are the main characters? Describe them.
Part 2) How does Dickens reveal aspects of his characters' personalities?
Part 3) How is any audience at any time able to connect to and relate to these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
Essay Topic 3
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)