|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
2. Why can Nicholas not pursue this person?
3. Why do Kate and Mrs. Nickleby visit an invalid named Mrs. Wititterly?
4. The next day, we see whose offices?
5. Gride takes out the deed he mentioned to Ralph, looks it over once more, puts it back in the trunk and leaves. Of what is he unaware?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of Smike is the climax of the play.
Part 1) Describe Smike and the events surrounding his death. How is this climactic?
Part 2) What is significant about his death?
Part 3) What is another dramatic climax and secondary thematic climax? How are these climactic events connected?
Essay Topic 2
Nicholas undergoes a journey of transformation.
Part 1) How is Nicholas at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change through the play? What causes these changes? How do his changes affect others?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this journey, for him and for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
An aspect of Dickens' work is that his stories tend to be about the tensions between rich and poor.
Part 1) Describe that tension in this story.
Part 2) Why might this be important to Dickens?
Part 3) How is this relevant today?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)