|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next day, we see whose offices?
2. As the rest of the company leaves, what does Nicholas confess to Smike?
3. Once again Nicholas looks for work, and once again what happens?
4. Gride takes out the deed he mentioned to Ralph, looks it over once more, puts it back in the trunk and leaves. Of what is he unaware?
5. What happens when Squeers mentions Smike to Ralph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Nicholas. What does he represent?
Part 2) How does one know this is how he is symbolic?
Part 3) Why does the playwright use Nicholas to be symbolic? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
There is a parallel development of the Verisopht plot and the Medeline plot.
Part 1) Describe each of the plots.
Part 2) What develops that connects these plots? What is the purpose of this parallel development?
Part 3) How does this development affect the characters? Why are they affected this way?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is important in this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What do these examples foreshadow?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this foreshadowing?
Part 3) How does it set the mood of the story and enhance the story for the reader or audience member?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)