|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
2. To whom does Nicholas pay his final call of the evening?
3. Why is a young man attacking an angry man?
4. How does Hawk respond when Kate tells him how intensely she dislikes him?
5. Ralph orders Noggs to get a coach to take them to the Strand, which Noggs realizes will take Ralph where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A section of the play shows the poorest, nastiest, and most desperate sections of London.
Part 1) Describe these sections of London. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) Compare these poor sections to the other settings mentioned.
Part 3) How does this reinforce a characteristic of Dickens' stories?
Essay Topic 2
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
Essay Topic 3
Ralph craves money and status.
Part 1) Why does he crave this? How does it reflect his personality through the play?
Part 2) To what does this desire lead? What message does this send to readers?
Part 3) How do his cravings affect him by the end of the play? What does this say about people who crave money and status?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)