|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
2. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
3. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
4. Just as everybody returns to go in to dinner, Noggs arrives in a new suit, confessing what?
5. Why can Nicholas not pursue this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
Essay Topic 2
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
Essay Topic 3
The story has a central theme.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this revealed in the story?
Part 2) Why does Dickens choose this as a theme?
Part 3) How does this theme touch the lives of all the main characters?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)