|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
2. Back in London, for what does the social climbing Mrs. Wititterly ask Kate?
3. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
4. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
5. What does Nicholas do as Mrs. Grudden sings a sentimental song?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of Smike is the climax of the play.
Part 1) Describe Smike and the events surrounding his death. How is this climactic?
Part 2) What is significant about his death?
Part 3) What is another dramatic climax and secondary thematic climax? How are these climactic events connected?
Essay Topic 2
There are two central plot lines.
Part 1) What are these two plot lines? What is the significance of each?
Part 2) How are these two plot lines related or connected?
Part 3) What is the purpose of having two plot lines?
Essay Topic 3
An aspect of Dickens' work is that, in general, characters in his stories play out a complicated plot.
Part 1) Describe the plot in this story. How is it complicated?
Part 2) What is the purpose for a complicated plot?
Part 3) How do these plots reflect real life?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)