|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a young man attacking an angry man?
2. Why does Nicholas travel through the poorest and most degraded section of London?
3. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
4. How does Hawk respond when Kate tells him how intensely she dislikes him?
5. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is important in this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What do these examples foreshadow?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this foreshadowing?
Part 3) How does it set the mood of the story and enhance the story for the reader or audience member?
Essay Topic 2
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
Essay Topic 3
The story has a central theme.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this revealed in the story?
Part 2) Why does Dickens choose this as a theme?
Part 3) How does this theme touch the lives of all the main characters?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)