|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Sir Mulberry Hawk and Lord Frederick Verisopht wake up groggily?
2. How does Madeline respond when Nicholas impulsively tells her how he feels about her?
3. In Ralph's office, Ralph speaks to himself of what?
4. Who does Nicholas see as Mr. Charles introduces him to their clerk, Tim?
5. Mrs. Nickleby and Miss LaCreevy appear with luggage. To where are Kate and Mrs. Nickleby in the process of moving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Minor characters, plot lines, and events are significant.
Part 1) Describe these minor characters, plot lines, and events.
Part 2) How are they significant? How do they reinforce Dickens' writing style?
Part 3) What is the connection between these minor details and the main characters and plot lines?
Essay Topic 2
The theme and story of Nicholas Nickleby is a reminder.
Part 1) Summarize the story. Of what is it a reminder.
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for writing a story? Why was it made into a play?
Part 3) How does this play enhance or detract from Dickens' story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
This story is relevant today.
Part 1) Describe what is relevant to today's society and life.
Part 2) Could this be relevant throughout time? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will this story continue to be relevant? Why or why not?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)