|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hawk respond when Kate tells him how intensely she dislikes him?
2. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
3. After Madeline takes her father out and then returns, what does she urge Nicholas to do?
4. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
5. How does Squeers encourage Peg into handing over the deed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of Smike is the climax of the play.
Part 1) Describe Smike and the events surrounding his death. How is this climactic?
Part 2) What is significant about his death?
Part 3) What is another dramatic climax and secondary thematic climax? How are these climactic events connected?
Essay Topic 2
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
Essay Topic 3
A section of the play shows the poorest, nastiest, and most desperate sections of London.
Part 1) Describe these sections of London. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) Compare these poor sections to the other settings mentioned.
Part 3) How does this reinforce a characteristic of Dickens' stories?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)