|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do as Mrs. Grudden sings a sentimental song?
2. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
3. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
4. For what does Gride get ready?
5. Nicholas paid a call on the Kenwigs,' who have had another baby which Mr. Kenwigs has called what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
Essay Topic 2
An aspect of Dickens' work is that his stories tend to be about the tensions between rich and poor.
Part 1) Describe that tension in this story.
Part 2) Why might this be important to Dickens?
Part 3) How is this relevant today?
Essay Topic 3
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)