|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While passing a theatre on the way, what does Nicholas notice about it?
2. After Madeline takes her father out and then returns, what does she urge Nicholas to do?
3. Why does one of the senior actors, Folair, take Nicholas aside?
4. Why do Sir Mulberry Hawk and Lord Frederick Verisopht wake up groggily?
5. What is learned about the Cheerybles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
Essay Topic 2
Nicholas undergoes a journey of transformation.
Part 1) How is Nicholas at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change through the play? What causes these changes? How do his changes affect others?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this journey, for him and for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
There is a parallel development of the Verisopht plot and the Medeline plot.
Part 1) Describe each of the plots.
Part 2) What develops that connects these plots? What is the purpose of this parallel development?
Part 3) How does this development affect the characters? Why are they affected this way?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)