|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
2. What does Nicholas vow to stop at whatever the cost?
3. As the rest of the company leaves, what does Nicholas confess to Smike?
4. What do Kate and Nicholas tell each other, now that they are not marrying their loved ones?
5. Back in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has gathered for what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Minor characters, plot lines, and events are significant.
Part 1) Describe these minor characters, plot lines, and events.
Part 2) How are they significant? How do they reinforce Dickens' writing style?
Part 3) What is the connection between these minor details and the main characters and plot lines?
Essay Topic 2
An aspect of Dickens' work is that, in general, characters in his stories play out a complicated plot.
Part 1) Describe the plot in this story. How is it complicated?
Part 2) What is the purpose for a complicated plot?
Part 3) How do these plots reflect real life?
Essay Topic 3
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)