|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smike ask Nicholas, when he has gone with them to their home in the country?
2. What does the company recount?
3. Ralph orders Noggs to get a coach to take them to the Strand, which Noggs realizes will take Ralph where?
4. Why do Sir Mulberry Hawk and Lord Frederick Verisopht wake up groggily?
5. Why can Nicholas not pursue this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is important in this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What do these examples foreshadow?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this foreshadowing?
Part 3) How does it set the mood of the story and enhance the story for the reader or audience member?
Essay Topic 2
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
Essay Topic 3
An aspect of Dickens' work is that his stories tend to be about the tensions between rich and poor.
Part 1) Describe that tension in this story.
Part 2) Why might this be important to Dickens?
Part 3) How is this relevant today?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)