|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nicholas go to visit?
2. What character enters the scene who is not in the original story of Romeo and Juliet?
3. What does Ralph promise Sir Mulberry Hawk?
4. How does Mr. Lillyvick react when Noggs leaves suddenly?
5. What has Noggs arranged for Nicholas?
Short Essay Questions
1. By what is Sir Matthew Pupker distracted?
2. What good luck does Nicholas have?
3. What happens when Nicholas encounters John Bowdie?
4. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
5. In a roadside tavern, what do Nicholas and Smike learn?
6. What takes place back in Portsmouth?
7. What happens to Smike? How does Nicholas help him?
8. Describe Fanny Squeers and Tilda Price.
9. What does the Crummles Company perform?
10. As Nicholas and Smike rehearse the scene in which Romeo persuades the Apothecary to ignore his conscience and take the money for the poison, what is Ralph doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
Essay Topic 2
The story has a central theme.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this revealed in the story?
Part 2) Why does Dickens choose this as a theme?
Part 3) How does this theme touch the lives of all the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)