Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
2. How does Ralph react when Kate begins to cry out of gratitude and relief?
3. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
4. What does Kate ask Ralph?
5. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
2. How does the family act when Mr. Lillyvick arrives?
3. As Nicholas continues to teach Smike his lines about the need for money overruling conscience, what is Ralph doing?
4. What takes place at a public meeting in a tavern?
5. By what is Sir Matthew Pupker distracted?
6. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
7. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
8. How is London described?
9. What happens to Kate at the party?
10. Where are Mr. Lillyvick and his bride married? Why does Nicholas leave early?
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
An aspect of Dickens' work is that, in general, characters in his stories play out a complicated plot.
Part 1) Describe the plot in this story. How is it complicated?
Part 2) What is the purpose for a complicated plot?
Part 3) How do these plots reflect real life?
Integrity is lost partially through the play.
Part 1) What is integrity? How is it lost? Who loses it? Why do they lose it?
Part 2) How can readers relate to this? How is it relevant today?
Part 3) What is significant about Nicholas' behavior during this part of the play? What does this show about his transformation?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)