|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
2. Friar Lawrence arrives with what news?
3. What do Mrs. Nickleby and Kate help Nicholas do, before he leaves for Dothesboys Hall?
4. Where do Nicholas, Squeers and the Boys arrive?
5. Ignoring Kate's discomfort, Hawk and Verisopht joke about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Nicholas arrives at Dotheboys, how does he feel?
2. What happens when Nicholas encounters John Bowdie?
3. What good luck does Nicholas have?
4. What happens when Ralph receives Fanny's letter?
5. How does Mr. Lillyvick react to this commotion?
6. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
7. What does Crummles tell the company, when he arrives with Nicholas and Smike?
8. Describe the boys at Dotheboys Hall.
9. For whom does Kate now work?
10. How does the performance end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Minor characters, plot lines, and events are significant.
Part 1) Describe these minor characters, plot lines, and events.
Part 2) How are they significant? How do they reinforce Dickens' writing style?
Part 3) What is the connection between these minor details and the main characters and plot lines?
Essay Topic 2
Ralph craves money and status.
Part 1) Why does he crave this? How does it reflect his personality through the play?
Part 2) To what does this desire lead? What message does this send to readers?
Part 3) How do his cravings affect him by the end of the play? What does this say about people who crave money and status?
Essay Topic 3
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)