Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
2. How does Ralph react when Kate begins to cry out of gratitude and relief?
3. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
4. What does Kate ask Ralph?
5. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
2. How does the family act when Mr. Lillyvick arrives?
3. As Nicholas continues to teach Smike his lines about the need for money overruling conscience, what is Ralph doing?
4. What takes place at a public meeting in a tavern?
5. By what is Sir Matthew Pupker distracted?
6. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
7. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
8. How is London described?
9. What happens to Kate at the party?
10. Where are Mr. Lillyvick and his bride married? Why does Nicholas leave early?
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas undergoes a journey of transformation.
Part 1) How is Nicholas at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change through the play? What causes these changes? How do his changes affect others?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this journey, for him and for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Integrity is lost partially through the play.
Part 1) What is integrity? How is it lost? Who loses it? Why do they lose it?
Part 2) How can readers relate to this? How is it relevant today?
Part 3) What is significant about Nicholas' behavior during this part of the play? What does this show about his transformation?
Essay Topic 3
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)