|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The action returns to what scene?
2. What does Nicholas do when he crumples to the floor?
3. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
4. As Kate poses for Miss LaCreevy, what do they discuss?
5. How does Mr. Lillyvick react when Noggs leaves suddenly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Smike? How does Nicholas help him?
2. What does Ralph think about Kate?
3. Describe the boys at Dotheboys Hall.
4. How does the family act when Mr. Lillyvick arrives?
5. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
6. What happens to Kate at the party?
7. What does Ralph say when Kate asks to live with her mother?
8. What does Squeers do to help Ralph?
9. How does Nicholas end up fighting Hawk?
10. With whom is Kate alone? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story is relevant today.
Part 1) Describe what is relevant to today's society and life.
Part 2) Could this be relevant throughout time? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will this story continue to be relevant? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are two central plot lines.
Part 1) What are these two plot lines? What is the significance of each?
Part 2) How are these two plot lines related or connected?
Part 3) What is the purpose of having two plot lines?
Essay Topic 3
Integrity is lost partially through the play.
Part 1) What is integrity? How is it lost? Who loses it? Why do they lose it?
Part 2) How can readers relate to this? How is it relevant today?
Part 3) What is significant about Nicholas' behavior during this part of the play? What does this show about his transformation?
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)