|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this man worried about how the Kenwigs will react to the news of his love interest?
2. What does Ralph promise Sir Mulberry Hawk?
3. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
4. Who sets off on a journey with Nicholas?
5. When Pupker gives Nicholas a list of things to do, how does Nicholas react?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ralph learn about his plans?
2. To where do Nicholas and Smike head?
3. What is taking place back in London?
4. What happens in Ralph's scene as Nicholas rehearses the scene in which Romeo purchases poison from the Apothecary?
5. As the play begins, what are members of the company doing?
6. What does Squeers do to help Ralph?
7. How does Miss Knag change when an elderly lord and his young fiancee enter to store?
8. What happens when Ralph arrives at his office?
9. As Nicholas continues to teach Smike his lines about the need for money overruling conscience, what is Ralph doing?
10. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a parallel development of the Verisopht plot and the Medeline plot.
Part 1) Describe each of the plots.
Part 2) What develops that connects these plots? What is the purpose of this parallel development?
Part 3) How does this development affect the characters? Why are they affected this way?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is important in this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What do these examples foreshadow?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this foreshadowing?
Part 3) How does it set the mood of the story and enhance the story for the reader or audience member?
Essay Topic 3
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)