|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
2. How does Ralph react when Kate begins to cry out of gratitude and relief?
3. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
4. What does Kate ask Ralph?
5. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
2. How does the family act when Mr. Lillyvick arrives?
3. As Nicholas continues to teach Smike his lines about the need for money overruling conscience, what is Ralph doing?
4. What takes place at a public meeting in a tavern?
5. By what is Sir Matthew Pupker distracted?
6. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
7. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
8. How is London described?
9. What happens to Kate at the party?
10. Where are Mr. Lillyvick and his bride married? Why does Nicholas leave early?
Essay Topic 1
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
Essay Topic 2
The song sung by the company is ironic.
Part 1) What is the song that they sing? Why do they sing it?
Part 2) What is ironic about this song?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this song and it irony?
Essay Topic 3
Nicholas is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Nicholas. What does he represent?
Part 2) How does one know this is how he is symbolic?
Part 3) Why does the playwright use Nicholas to be symbolic? Use the play to support your response.
This section contains 2,131 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)