|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of Kate's new place of work?
2. Why does Mrs. Nickleby take her two children with her to see Ralph?
3. Where is this couple married?
4. When Squeers, Mrs. Squeers and Smike are gone, what does Nicholas do?
5. Paris challenges Romeo, they fight, and what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Mr. Mantalini's outstanding bills?
2. How does the play end?
3. To where do Nicholas and Smike head?
4. How does the death scene of Romeo and Juliet change from the original plot?
5. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
6. What does Squeers do to help Ralph?
7. Why does Ralph come calling on Kate and her mother?
8. What happens as the gathering begins to prepare for performances by Morleena and Miss Petowker?
9. Where is Noggs expected?
10. Describe Fanny Squeers and Tilda Price.
Essay Topic 1
An aspect of Dickens' work is that, in general, characters in his stories play out a complicated plot.
Part 1) Describe the plot in this story. How is it complicated?
Part 2) What is the purpose for a complicated plot?
Part 3) How do these plots reflect real life?
Essay Topic 2
A key aspect of Dickens' work, in general, is the detail and breadth of his characters.
Part 1) Who are the main characters? Describe them.
Part 2) How does Dickens reveal aspects of his characters' personalities?
Part 3) How is any audience at any time able to connect to and relate to these characters?
Essay Topic 3
The theme and story of Nicholas Nickleby is a reminder.
Part 1) Summarize the story. Of what is it a reminder.
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for writing a story? Why was it made into a play?
Part 3) How does this play enhance or detract from Dickens' story? Explain.
This section contains 2,037 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)