|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Nickleby take her two children with her to see Ralph?
2. Where is this couple married?
3. Noggs also appears and secretly gives Nicholas what?
4. Describe Fanny and Tilda.
5. What happened to the girl the Kenwigs had paid to watch the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Nicholas continues to teach Smike his lines about the need for money overruling conscience, what is Ralph doing?
2. What good luck does Nicholas have?
3. How does Nicholas end up fighting Hawk?
4. How does the death scene of Romeo and Juliet change from the original plot?
5. What does the Crummles Company perform?
6. What does Ralph say when Kate asks to live with her mother?
7. What does Crummles tell the company, when he arrives with Nicholas and Smike?
8. What happens to Kate at the party?
9. With whom has Mr. Lillyvick fallen in love?
10. In a roadside tavern, what do Nicholas and Smike learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
Essay Topic 2
The story has a central theme.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this revealed in the story?
Part 2) Why does Dickens choose this as a theme?
Part 3) How does this theme touch the lives of all the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is important in this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What do these examples foreshadow?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this foreshadowing?
Part 3) How does it set the mood of the story and enhance the story for the reader or audience member?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)