|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lillyvick do when Mr. Kenwigs desperately pleads with him to stay?
2. How is Kate welcomed by the women in the workroom?
3. As soon as the members of the company discover that Nicholas is a playwright, what do they do?
4. How does Mr. Lillyvick react when Noggs leaves suddenly?
5. Friar Lawrence arrives with what news?
Short Essay Questions
1. For whom does Kate now work?
2. In a roadside tavern, what do Nicholas and Smike learn?
3. For what is Gride preparing?
4. What happens when Ralph arrives at his office?
5. What does Ralph learn about his plans?
6. What takes place at the tavern?
7. What does Nicholas read after everyone else is gone?
8. What happens in Ralph's scene as Nicholas rehearses the scene in which Romeo purchases poison from the Apothecary?
9. What good luck does Nicholas have?
10. Where does Nicholas travel? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Nicholas. What does he represent?
Part 2) How does one know this is how he is symbolic?
Part 3) Why does the playwright use Nicholas to be symbolic? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
Essay Topic 3
Nicholas undergoes a journey of transformation.
Part 1) How is Nicholas at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change through the play? What causes these changes? How do his changes affect others?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this journey, for him and for the reader?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)