|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate refuse to do?
2. How is Kate welcomed by the women in the workroom?
3. For whom is Mrs. Kenwigs waiting?
4. Noggs also appears and secretly gives Nicholas what?
5. What is revealed about Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. By what is Sir Matthew Pupker distracted?
2. At the theatre in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has just finished another successful performance. Who enters to speak with Nicholas? Why?
3. How does Nicholas end up fighting Hawk?
4. What does Crummles tell the company, when he arrives with Nicholas and Smike?
5. In a roadside tavern, what do Nicholas and Smike learn?
6. What does Nicholas read after everyone else is gone?
7. What does Noggs realize about Gride's bride to be? What does he do when he makes this realization?
8. What does Miss Knag do for Kate?
9. Where is Noggs expected?
10. Describe Fanny Squeers and Tilda Price.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a parallel development of the Verisopht plot and the Medeline plot.
Part 1) Describe each of the plots.
Part 2) What develops that connects these plots? What is the purpose of this parallel development?
Part 3) How does this development affect the characters? Why are they affected this way?
Essay Topic 2
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
Essay Topic 3
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)