Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
2. How does Ralph react when Kate begins to cry out of gratitude and relief?
3. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
4. What does Kate ask Ralph?
5. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
2. How does the family act when Mr. Lillyvick arrives?
3. As Nicholas continues to teach Smike his lines about the need for money overruling conscience, what is Ralph doing?
4. What takes place at a public meeting in a tavern?
5. By what is Sir Matthew Pupker distracted?
6. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
7. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
8. How is London described?
9. What happens to Kate at the party?
10. Where are Mr. Lillyvick and his bride married? Why does Nicholas leave early?
Essay Topic 1
The story has a central theme.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this revealed in the story?
Part 2) Why does Dickens choose this as a theme?
Part 3) How does this theme touch the lives of all the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
An aspect of Dickens' work is that his stories tend to be about the tensions between rich and poor.
Part 1) Describe that tension in this story.
Part 2) Why might this be important to Dickens?
Part 3) How is this relevant today?
Essay Topic 3
The death of Smike is the climax of the play.
Part 1) Describe Smike and the events surrounding his death. How is this climactic?
Part 2) What is significant about his death?
Part 3) What is another dramatic climax and secondary thematic climax? How are these climactic events connected?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)