|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what actress does Nicholas run?
2. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
3. As Kate poses for Miss LaCreevy, what do they discuss?
4. What other news does Friar Lawrence bring?
5. What does Noggs show Kate and Mrs. Nickleby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fanny become interested in Nicholas? Why does she become interested?
2. With whom has Mr. Lillyvick fallen in love?
3. What happens when Nicholas encounters John Bowdie?
4. How does Mr. Lillyvick react to this commotion?
5. What does Ralph learn about his plans?
6. What happens with Mr. Mantalini's outstanding bills?
7. What happens when Ralph arrives at his office?
8. What happens as the gathering begins to prepare for performances by Morleena and Miss Petowker?
9. Why does Ralph come calling on Kate and her mother?
10. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Integrity is lost partially through the play.
Part 1) What is integrity? How is it lost? Who loses it? Why do they lose it?
Part 2) How can readers relate to this? How is it relevant today?
Part 3) What is significant about Nicholas' behavior during this part of the play? What does this show about his transformation?
Essay Topic 2
Nicholas undergoes a journey of transformation.
Part 1) How is Nicholas at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change through the play? What causes these changes? How do his changes affect others?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this journey, for him and for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)