|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
2. How does Ralph react when Kate begins to cry out of gratitude and relief?
3. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
4. What does Kate ask Ralph?
5. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
2. How does the family act when Mr. Lillyvick arrives?
3. As Nicholas continues to teach Smike his lines about the need for money overruling conscience, what is Ralph doing?
4. What takes place at a public meeting in a tavern?
5. By what is Sir Matthew Pupker distracted?
6. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
7. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
8. How is London described?
9. What happens to Kate at the party?
10. Where are Mr. Lillyvick and his bride married? Why does Nicholas leave early?
Essay Topic 1
The story has a central theme.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this revealed in the story?
Part 2) Why does Dickens choose this as a theme?
Part 3) How does this theme touch the lives of all the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Ralph craves money and status.
Part 1) Why does he crave this? How does it reflect his personality through the play?
Part 2) To what does this desire lead? What message does this send to readers?
Part 3) How do his cravings affect him by the end of the play? What does this say about people who crave money and status?
Essay Topic 3
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
This section contains 2,131 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)