|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a roadside tavern, Nicholas and Smike learn with dismay that not only is it still twelve miles to Portsmouth, but what?
2. Who are the Curdles?
3. What list does Mrs. Squeers goes through?
4. What does Squeers do when leading a spelling lesson?
5. What does Ralph promise Sir Mulberry Hawk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is taking place back in London?
2. For what is Gride preparing?
3. What happens when Nicholas encounters John Bowdie?
4. What good luck does Nicholas have?
5. How is London described?
6. What does Ralph learn about his plans?
7. How does Mr. Lillyvick react to this commotion?
8. What is Ralph doing at his home?
9. What happens when Noggs goes downstairs?
10. What does Ralph convince Squeers to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a parallel development of the Verisopht plot and the Medeline plot.
Part 1) Describe each of the plots.
Part 2) What develops that connects these plots? What is the purpose of this parallel development?
Part 3) How does this development affect the characters? Why are they affected this way?
Essay Topic 2
Integrity is lost partially through the play.
Part 1) What is integrity? How is it lost? Who loses it? Why do they lose it?
Part 2) How can readers relate to this? How is it relevant today?
Part 3) What is significant about Nicholas' behavior during this part of the play? What does this show about his transformation?
Essay Topic 3
This story is relevant today.
Part 1) Describe what is relevant to today's society and life.
Part 2) Could this be relevant throughout time? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will this story continue to be relevant? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,780 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)