|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the close of the first performance of Nicholas' new play, who visits him?
2. What happened to the girl the Kenwigs had paid to watch the baby?
3. What character enters the scene who is not in the original story of Romeo and Juliet?
4. Juliet awakes and sees what?
5. Who interrupts the argument between Ralph and Hawk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nicholas encounters John Bowdie?
2. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
3. Why does a fight occur? What does Nicholas do about this?
4. What good news does Noggs have for Nicholas?
5. What does the Crummles Company perform?
6. How does Miss Knag change when an elderly lord and his young fiancee enter to store?
7. How is London described?
8. What does Noggs realize about Gride's bride to be? What does he do when he makes this realization?
9. What happens when Ralph arrives at his office?
10. Describe Fanny Squeers and Tilda Price.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story is relevant today.
Part 1) Describe what is relevant to today's society and life.
Part 2) Could this be relevant throughout time? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will this story continue to be relevant? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is important in this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What do these examples foreshadow?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this foreshadowing?
Part 3) How does it set the mood of the story and enhance the story for the reader or audience member?
Essay Topic 3
An aspect of Dickens' work is that his stories tend to be about the tensions between rich and poor.
Part 1) Describe that tension in this story.
Part 2) Why might this be important to Dickens?
Part 3) How is this relevant today?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)