|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smike say to Nicholas when he comes across him on a road to London?
2. As Kate arrives what are the owners of the shop doing?
3. Why does Bonney come to see Ralph?
4. When Madame Mantalini and Miss Knag arrive, what announcement is made?
5. For whom is Mrs. Kenwigs waiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fanny Squeers and Tilda Price.
2. What does the Crummles Company perform?
3. Where is Noggs expected?
4. What does Noggs realize about Gride's bride to be? What does he do when he makes this realization?
5. At the theatre in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has just finished another successful performance. Who enters to speak with Nicholas? Why?
6. To where do Nicholas and Smike head?
7. What takes place at the tavern?
8. As Nicholas and Smike rehearse the scene in which Romeo persuades the Apothecary to ignore his conscience and take the money for the poison, what is Ralph doing?
9. What happens when Ralph receives Fanny's letter?
10. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
Essay Topic 2
A section of the play shows the poorest, nastiest, and most desperate sections of London.
Part 1) Describe these sections of London. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) Compare these poor sections to the other settings mentioned.
Part 3) How does this reinforce a characteristic of Dickens' stories?
Essay Topic 3
Ralph craves money and status.
Part 1) Why does he crave this? How does it reflect his personality through the play?
Part 2) To what does this desire lead? What message does this send to readers?
Part 3) How do his cravings affect him by the end of the play? What does this say about people who crave money and status?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)