|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nicholas go to visit?
2. When Squeers, Mrs. Squeers and Smike are gone, what does Nicholas do?
3. Friar Lawrence arrives with what news?
4. What does Nicholas do to Squeers?
5. As Squeers and Mrs. Squeers discuss Nicholas, what happens to Fanny?
Short Essay Questions
1. For whom does Kate now work?
2. What happens to Kate at the party?
3. What takes place at the tavern?
4. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
5. What does Ralph convince Squeers to do?
6. What happens to Smike? How does Nicholas help him?
7. What happens as the gathering begins to prepare for performances by Morleena and Miss Petowker?
8. How is London described?
9. How does Fanny become interested in Nicholas? Why does she become interested?
10. What good news does Noggs have for Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
Essay Topic 2
A key aspect of Dickens' work, in general, is the detail and breadth of his characters.
Part 1) Who are the main characters? Describe them.
Part 2) How does Dickens reveal aspects of his characters' personalities?
Part 3) How is any audience at any time able to connect to and relate to these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
This section contains 1,805 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)