|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Bowdie do when Nicholas encounters him in the countryside near Dotheboys?
2. Who does Nicholas go to visit?
3. Into what does this final tableau for Romeo and Juliet transform?
4. What does Noggs show Kate and Mrs. Nickleby?
5. The action returns to what scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Knag do for Kate?
2. What happens to Kate at the party?
3. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
4. How does the performance end?
5. How does the play end?
6. What happens with Mr. Mantalini's outstanding bills?
7. What takes place at a public meeting in a tavern?
8. How does the family act when Mr. Lillyvick arrives?
9. What happens to Smike? How does Nicholas help him?
10. What does Crummles tell the company, when he arrives with Nicholas and Smike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas undergoes a journey of transformation.
Part 1) How is Nicholas at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change through the play? What causes these changes? How do his changes affect others?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this journey, for him and for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
A section of the play shows the poorest, nastiest, and most desperate sections of London.
Part 1) Describe these sections of London. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) Compare these poor sections to the other settings mentioned.
Part 3) How does this reinforce a characteristic of Dickens' stories?
Essay Topic 3
A key aspect of Dickens' work, in general, is the detail and breadth of his characters.
Part 1) Who are the main characters? Describe them.
Part 2) How does Dickens reveal aspects of his characters' personalities?
Part 3) How is any audience at any time able to connect to and relate to these characters?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)