|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bonney protest?
2. What does Mr. Mantalini sell Ralph?
3. Of what does Hawk accuse Ralph?
4. Back in London, Newman Noggs arrives at Miss LaCreevy's to take Mrs. Nickleby and Kate where?
5. Kate is alone when who arrives to repossess the Mantalinis' belongings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good luck does Nicholas have?
2. What happens to Smike? How does Nicholas help him?
3. Describe Fanny Squeers and Tilda Price.
4. How does the family act when Mr. Lillyvick arrives?
5. In a roadside tavern, what do Nicholas and Smike learn?
6. What does Nicholas read after everyone else is gone?
7. What good news does Noggs have for Nicholas?
8. What does Noggs realize about Gride's bride to be? What does he do when he makes this realization?
9. Why does a fight occur? What does Nicholas do about this?
10. As Nicholas and Smike rehearse the scene in which Romeo persuades the Apothecary to ignore his conscience and take the money for the poison, what is Ralph doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a parallel development of the Verisopht plot and the Medeline plot.
Part 1) Describe each of the plots.
Part 2) What develops that connects these plots? What is the purpose of this parallel development?
Part 3) How does this development affect the characters? Why are they affected this way?
Essay Topic 2
Minor characters, plot lines, and events are significant.
Part 1) Describe these minor characters, plot lines, and events.
Part 2) How are they significant? How do they reinforce Dickens' writing style?
Part 3) What is the connection between these minor details and the main characters and plot lines?
Essay Topic 3
Integrity is lost partially through the play.
Part 1) What is integrity? How is it lost? Who loses it? Why do they lose it?
Part 2) How can readers relate to this? How is it relevant today?
Part 3) What is significant about Nicholas' behavior during this part of the play? What does this show about his transformation?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)