|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Infant Phenomenon?
2. As Squeers and Mrs. Squeers discuss Nicholas, what happens to Fanny?
3. Members of the company, speaking in turn, give what information to the audience?
4. Who sets off on a journey with Nicholas?
5. What does Madame Mantalini also announce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ralph think about Kate?
2. As Nicholas arrives at Dotheboys, how does he feel?
3. With whom is Kate alone? Why?
4. What does Nicholas read after everyone else is gone?
5. How does the performance end?
6. At the theatre in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has just finished another successful performance. Who enters to speak with Nicholas? Why?
7. Describe the boys at Dotheboys Hall.
8. How else has the story of Romeo and Juliet changed?
9. Where is Noggs expected?
10. What takes place at a public meeting in a tavern?
Essay Topic 1
A key aspect of Dickens' work, in general, is the detail and breadth of his characters.
Part 1) Who are the main characters? Describe them.
Part 2) How does Dickens reveal aspects of his characters' personalities?
Part 3) How is any audience at any time able to connect to and relate to these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Nicholas undergoes a journey of transformation.
Part 1) How is Nicholas at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change through the play? What causes these changes? How do his changes affect others?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this journey, for him and for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Nicholas has a temper.
Part 1) How does this temper change throughout the story?
Part 2) How does his journey of transformation affect his temper? Why?
Part 3) Based on what takes place when Nicholas' temper flares, what might Dickens think about this reaction to anger?
This section contains 1,737 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)