|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to writing the new play, what is Nicholas to do?
2. Who is the Infant Phenomenon?
3. To what does Ralph invite Kate?
4. What does Squeers make this person do?
5. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom is Kate alone? Why?
2. How does Mr. Lillyvick react to this commotion?
3. As Nicholas continues to teach Smike his lines about the need for money overruling conscience, what is Ralph doing?
4. What does Squeers do to help Ralph?
5. For what is Gride preparing?
6. What does Nicholas do to help Smike?
7. What does Miss Knag do for Kate?
8. With whom has Mr. Lillyvick fallen in love?
9. Where are Mr. Lillyvick and his bride married? Why does Nicholas leave early?
10. Where is Noggs expected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The song sung by the company is ironic.
Part 1) What is the song that they sing? Why do they sing it?
Part 2) What is ironic about this song?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this song and it irony?
Essay Topic 2
The death of Smike is the climax of the play.
Part 1) Describe Smike and the events surrounding his death. How is this climactic?
Part 2) What is significant about his death?
Part 3) What is another dramatic climax and secondary thematic climax? How are these climactic events connected?
Essay Topic 3
The story has a central theme.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this revealed in the story?
Part 2) Why does Dickens choose this as a theme?
Part 3) How does this theme touch the lives of all the main characters?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)