|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Squeers make this person do?
2. Why does Bonney come to see Ralph?
3. Why does this woman ask for Kate?
4. What does Mr. Mantalini sell Ralph?
5. Of what does Hawk accuse Ralph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nicholas encounters John Bowdie?
2. What is taking place back in London?
3. Describe the boys at Dotheboys Hall.
4. What does Ralph say when Kate asks to live with her mother?
5. Where is Noggs expected?
6. What takes place at a public meeting in a tavern?
7. As the play begins, what are members of the company doing?
8. What happens when Ralph arrives at his office?
9. What does Miss Knag do for Kate?
10. What good luck does Nicholas have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas undergoes a journey of transformation.
Part 1) How is Nicholas at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change through the play? What causes these changes? How do his changes affect others?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this journey, for him and for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
Essay Topic 3
A key aspect of Dickens' work, in general, is the detail and breadth of his characters.
Part 1) Who are the main characters? Describe them.
Part 2) How does Dickens reveal aspects of his characters' personalities?
Part 3) How is any audience at any time able to connect to and relate to these characters?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)