|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mrs. Nickleby and Kate help Nicholas do, before he leaves for Dothesboys Hall?
2. The Kenwigs ask Nicholas to stay. How does he respond?
3. Miss Snevellicci and Nicholas do what for the company?
4. Why does Nicholas slip away after the wedding?
5. At a tavern in the lower class end of London, what is Wackford Squeers, the headmaster of Dotheboys Hall, doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fanny Squeers and Tilda Price.
2. Describe the boys at Dotheboys Hall.
3. What happens as the gathering begins to prepare for performances by Morleena and Miss Petowker?
4. How does Bray act during his interaction with Nicholas?
5. To where do Nicholas and Smike head?
6. What is taking place back in London?
7. Where are Mr. Lillyvick and his bride married? Why does Nicholas leave early?
8. What does Crummles tell the company, when he arrives with Nicholas and Smike?
9. How does the performance end?
10. What happens when Ralph arrives at his office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A section of the play shows the poorest, nastiest, and most desperate sections of London.
Part 1) Describe these sections of London. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) Compare these poor sections to the other settings mentioned.
Part 3) How does this reinforce a characteristic of Dickens' stories?
Essay Topic 2
Nicholas is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Nicholas. What does he represent?
Part 2) How does one know this is how he is symbolic?
Part 3) Why does the playwright use Nicholas to be symbolic? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Parallel scenes from other stories are used in this story.
Part 1) What other stories are found in this story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) How do these stories enhance Dickens' story?
Part 3) How does the way these stories are used reflect the time in which Dickens' story takes place?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)