|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To avoid confrontation with the Kenwigs, what has this man arranged?
2. What does Nicholas do when he crumples to the floor?
3. What does Kate refuse to do?
4. Of what does Miss Knag accuse Kate?
5. As Nicholas leaves, how does Lillyvick describe him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nicholas encounters John Bowdie?
2. For what is Gride preparing?
3. How does the play end?
4. What does Noggs realize about Gride's bride to be? What does he do when he makes this realization?
5. Why does Ralph come calling on Kate and her mother?
6. What does Miss Knag do for Kate?
7. For whom does Kate now work?
8. What takes place at the tavern?
9. As Nicholas and Smike rehearse the scene in which Romeo persuades the Apothecary to ignore his conscience and take the money for the poison, what is Ralph doing?
10. What happens when Ralph receives Fanny's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A section of the play shows the poorest, nastiest, and most desperate sections of London.
Part 1) Describe these sections of London. What is the purpose of this?
Part 2) Compare these poor sections to the other settings mentioned.
Part 3) How does this reinforce a characteristic of Dickens' stories?
Essay Topic 2
The death of Smike is the climax of the play.
Part 1) Describe Smike and the events surrounding his death. How is this climactic?
Part 2) What is significant about his death?
Part 3) What is another dramatic climax and secondary thematic climax? How are these climactic events connected?
Essay Topic 3
The song sung by the company is ironic.
Part 1) What is the song that they sing? Why do they sing it?
Part 2) What is ironic about this song?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this song and it irony?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)