|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Noggs also appears and secretly gives Nicholas what?
2. Who does, Member of Parliament, Sir Matthew Pupker face in the tavern?
3. What does Crowl volunteer to do?
4. Back at Dotheboys, what is Squeers doing to Smike?
5. Kate is alone when who arrives to repossess the Mantalinis' belongings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place at the tavern?
2. By what is Sir Matthew Pupker distracted?
3. How does the family act when Mr. Lillyvick arrives?
4. Where does Nicholas travel? Why?
5. What happens with Mr. Mantalini's outstanding bills?
6. What does the Crummles Company perform?
7. What takes place back in Portsmouth?
8. What does Squeers do to help Ralph?
9. With whom is Kate alone? Why?
10. What happens when Ralph arrives at his office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ralph is symbolic.
Part 1) Describe Ralph. What does he symbolize?
Part 2) Why does he symbolize what he does?
Part 3) Compare Ralph's symbolism to Nicholas? What does this reveal?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is important in this story.
Part 1) Give two examples of foreshadowing. What do these examples foreshadow?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this foreshadowing?
Part 3) How does it set the mood of the story and enhance the story for the reader or audience member?
Essay Topic 3
The theme and story of Nicholas Nickleby is a reminder.
Part 1) Summarize the story. Of what is it a reminder.
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for writing a story? Why was it made into a play?
Part 3) How does this play enhance or detract from Dickens' story? Explain.
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)