|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what is this man distracted?
2. Where is this couple married?
3. These two go through the Mantalinis' things and reveal what?
4. Ignoring Kate's discomfort, Hawk and Verisopht joke about what?
5. What does the Crummles Company perform?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
2. What takes place back in Portsmouth?
3. For what is Gride preparing?
4. Why does a fight occur? What does Nicholas do about this?
5. For whom does Kate now work?
6. What happens to Kate at the party?
7. What happens to Smike? How does Nicholas help him?
8. What does Nicholas read after everyone else is gone?
9. What does Crummles tell the company, when he arrives with Nicholas and Smike?
10. In a roadside tavern, what do Nicholas and Smike learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Nicholas is symbolic. Part 1) Describe Nicholas. What does he represent? Part 2) How does one know this is how he is symbolic? Part 3) Why does the playwright use Nicholas to be symbolic? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2The story has a central theme. Part 1) What is this theme? How is this revealed in the story? Part 2) Why does Dickens choose this as a theme? Part 3) How does this theme touch the lives of all the main characters?
Essay Topic 3A key aspect of Dickens' work, in general, is the detail and breadth of his characters. Part 1) Who are the main characters? Describe them. Part 2) How does Dickens reveal aspects of his characters' personalities? Part 3) How is any audience at any time able to connect to and relate to these characters?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)