|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Mrs. Nickleby appears, Ralph announces that he has found a position for Kate working for whom?
(a) A carpenter.
(b) A weaver.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A milliner and dressmaker.
2. Who interrupts the argument between Ralph and Hawk?
3. What does Nicholas do when he crumples to the floor?
(a) He faints.
(b) He feels ill.
(c) He screams.
(d) He sobs.
4. Who is the owner of Kate's new place of work?
(a) Madame Morris.
(b) Madame Matthews.
(c) Madame Maurissaut.
(d) Madame Mantalini.
5. As Kate poses for Miss LaCreevy, what do they discuss?
(a) How happy she is for Nicholas.
(b) The women in town.
(c) How much she adores her uncle.
(d) Ralph and how uneasy Kate feels around him.
Short Answer Questions
1. The action returns to what scene?
2. What does Madame Mantalini also announce?
3. As she finishes writing her letter, who appears, looking for his son?
4. What does Smike tell Nicholas that he cannot remember?
5. Why does Bonney protest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Nickleby help Verisopht, Hawk, Pluck, and Pyke?
2. What happens when Ralph arrives at his office?
3. What happens in Ralph's scene as Nicholas rehearses the scene in which Romeo purchases poison from the Apothecary?
4. At the theatre in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has just finished another successful performance. Who enters to speak with Nicholas? Why?
5. As Nicholas continues to teach Smike his lines about the need for money overruling conscience, what is Ralph doing?
6. What does Squeers do to help Ralph?
7. How does the death scene of Romeo and Juliet change from the original plot?
8. How does Miss Knag change when an elderly lord and his young fiancee enter to store?
9. What does Ralph convince Squeers to do?
10. Describe the boys at Dotheboys Hall.
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)