|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has gathered for what?
(a) A meal.
(b) A meeting.
(c) A party.
(d) A performance.
2. As the rest of the company leaves, what does Nicholas confess to Smike?
(a) He hopes Kate is happy.
(b) He loves being an actor.
(c) He is anxious about Kate.
(d) He enjoys his job.
3. Why is a young man attacking an angry man?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) For being disrespectful to a young woman.
(c) For beating him at a card game.
(d) For stealing his horse.
4. What does Mrs. Grudden give Nicholas?
(a) A picture she had drawn of him.
(b) A present.
(c) A letter that she had forgotten to give him before.
(d) A cake.
5. In his attic room, what does Squeers consider to himself?
(a) The poor choices he has made.
(b) The manipulations of Ralph Nickleby that brought him there.
(c) The decisions he has made.
(d) The horrible things he has done.
6. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(a) A mysterious feeling.
(b) Noises in his home.
(d) He is not feeling well.
7. Nicholas paid a call on the Kenwigs,' who have had another baby which Mr. Kenwigs has called what?
8. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
(a) Smike has become healthier.
(b) Smike is depressed.
(c) Smike becomes too ill to move.
(d) Smike has died.
9. Describe Bray.
(a) He is touchy and in a wheelchair.
(b) He is a robust young man.
(c) He is a handsome, sweet man.
(d) He is a kind, old gentleman.
10. What do Kate and Nicholas tell each other, now that they are not marrying their loved ones?
(a) They will find others to marry.
(b) They will be lonely.
(c) They will be each other's companions.
(d) They will never marry.
11. After the men have gone, of what does Mrs. Wititterly accuse Kate?
(a) Stealing Hawk away from her.
(b) Manipulating the situation in order to be alone with Hawk and thereby advance her position at the expense of the Wititterlys.
(c) Allowing a potential husband to walk out the door.
(d) Not caring enough about wealth.
12. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
(a) He tells them that Ralph is a horrible man, and Madeline should not marry him.
(b) He expresses his concern that they are being taken adavantage of.
(c) He congratulates her on her wedding.
(d) He expresses his love for Madeline.
13. What does Nicholas vow?
(a) To find his father.
(b) To kill Ralph.
(c) To write to Ralph and sever their relationship completely.
(d) To marry Madeline.
14. How is London described?
(a) Pleasant, friendly, and exciting.
(b) Busy, crowded, and full of contrasts.
(c) Dirty, sad, and lonely.
(d) Scary, dangerous, and daunting.
15. What does Nicholas do as Mrs. Grudden sings a sentimental song?
(a) He makes his farewells and leaves with Smike.
(b) He cries.
(c) He sits silently.
(d) He joins her in the song.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
2. What does the company recount?
3. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
4. How does Hawk respond when Kate tells him how intensely she dislikes him?
5. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)