|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Nicholas not pursue this person?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) He is surprised to see this person.
(c) Mr. Charles is introducing him to Mr. Ned.
(d) They leave too quickly.
2. Into what do Ralph and Gride manipulate Bray?
(a) Agreeing to the marriage of Gride and Kate.
(b) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Nicholas.
(c) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Gride.
(d) Agreeing to the marriage of Ralph and Madeline.
3. Ralph orders Noggs to get a coach to take them to the Strand, which Noggs realizes will take Ralph where?
(a) To Nicholas.
(b) To the home of Nickleby and Kate.
(c) To John.
(d) To Hawk.
4. Why does one of the senior actors, Folair, take Nicholas aside?
(a) To give Nicholas a gift.
(b) To express his curiosity about his and Smike's true origins and names.
(c) To thank Nicholas for a job well done.
(d) To complain about Nicholas' play.
5. Just as everybody returns to go in to dinner, Noggs arrives in a new suit, confessing what?
(a) That he has been helping Ralph.
(b) That he has been helping the police.
(c) That he is leaving London.
(d) That he is getting married.
6. What happens when Squeers mentions Smike to Ralph?
(a) Ralph becomes more interested and gets details of where Squeers is staying.
(b) Ralph becomes upset.
(c) Ralph does not want to hear about Smike.
(d) Ralph wants Smike dead.
7. After Madeline takes her father out and then returns, what does she urge Nicholas to do?
(a) Not visit her anymore.
(b) Visit her again soon.
(c) Find Gride.
(d) Stop the wedding.
8. In Hawk's apartments, Pluck and Pyke inform him of what?
(a) Nicholas' determination to kill Ralph.
(b) Nicholas is marrying Madeline.
(c) Rumors of the encounter at the coffee house are all over London.
(d) Rumors that Nicholas is hunting for Hawk.
9. With what does Mr. Lillyvick arrive?
(a) Some news.
(b) No news.
(c) Good news.
(d) Bad news.
10. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
(a) He congratulates her on her wedding.
(b) He expresses his love for Madeline.
(c) He expresses his concern that they are being taken adavantage of.
(d) He tells them that Ralph is a horrible man, and Madeline should not marry him.
11. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(b) Noises in his home.
(c) He is not feeling well.
(d) A mysterious feeling.
12. Why does Nicholas travel through the poorest and most degraded section of London?
(a) To see what life is like in this section of London.
(b) He is lost.
(c) To complete his errand for the Cheerybles.
(d) To help the poor.
13. What is learned about the Cheerybles?
(a) They are not kind.
(b) They do not like Nicholas.
(c) They are protecting Ralph.
(d) They sent Ralph the letter he received in Scene 5.
14. How does Squeers encourage Peg into handing over the deed?
(a) He threatens her.
(b) He bribes her.
(c) He blackmails her.
(d) He seduces her.
15. The next day, we see whose offices?
(a) Both Ralph's and the Cheerbyles'.
(b) Both the Cheerbyles' and Kate's.
(c) Both Ralph's and Hawk's.
(d) Both Nicholas' and Ralph's.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Gride get ready?
2. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
3. While passing a theatre on the way, what does Nicholas notice about it?
4. In Ralph's office, Ralph speaks to himself of what?
5. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)