|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
(a) Smike has become healthier.
(b) Smike has died.
(c) Smike becomes too ill to move.
(d) Smike is depressed.
2. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
(a) They are all taken into custody.
(b) They escape.
(c) They disappear.
(d) They are caught by Nicholas.
3. To whom does Nicholas pay his final call of the evening?
4. Back in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has gathered for what?
(a) A meal.
(b) A meeting.
(c) A party.
(d) A performance.
5. What does Nicholas discover about the young man?
(a) He is John's brother.
(b) He is Frank Cheeryble.
(c) He is Smike.
(d) He is his brother.
6. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
(a) That money is what is important.
(b) That to become connected with money is to become corrupted.
(c) That no one can be trusted.
(d) That love does not exist.
7. How is London described?
(a) Pleasant, friendly, and exciting.
(b) Scary, dangerous, and daunting.
(c) Busy, crowded, and full of contrasts.
(d) Dirty, sad, and lonely.
8. How does Nicholas react when he hears the men saying less than polite comments about Kate?
(a) He become irritated.
(b) He punches one of them in the face.
(c) He becomes angry.
(d) He calls the police.
9. Gride then asks Noggs to stay for a drink and proposes what?
(a) They leave town.
(b) They open a shop together.
(c) A toast to Madeline, his young bride-to-be.
(d) A toast to Ralph and Madeline.
10. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
(a) Madeline's father.
(b) Nicholas' father.
(c) Fanny's uncle.
(d) Smike's father.
11. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
12. What happens when Squeers mentions Smike to Ralph?
(a) Ralph wants Smike dead.
(b) Ralph becomes upset.
(c) Ralph does not want to hear about Smike.
(d) Ralph becomes more interested and gets details of where Squeers is staying.
13. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
(a) Their rejection of Frank and Madeline.
(b) Their fear of Ralph.
(c) Their love for Frank and Madeline.
(d) Their decision to leave London.
14. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(a) A mysterious feeling.
(b) He is not feeling well.
(c) Noises in his home.
15. Why does one of the senior actors, Folair, take Nicholas aside?
(a) To thank Nicholas for a job well done.
(b) To complain about Nicholas' play.
(c) To give Nicholas a gift.
(d) To express his curiosity about his and Smike's true origins and names.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in London, for what does the social climbing Mrs. Wititterly ask Kate?
2. While passing a theatre on the way, what does Nicholas notice about it?
3. What does Squeers tell Ralph he will do if the police ask him what happened?
4. In his attic room, what does Squeers consider to himself?
5. Once again Nicholas looks for work, and once again what happens?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)