|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The next day, we see whose offices?
(a) Both Ralph's and Hawk's.
(b) Both Nicholas' and Ralph's.
(c) Both the Cheerbyles' and Kate's.
(d) Both Ralph's and the Cheerbyles'.
2. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
(a) Kate and Mrs. Nickleby.
(b) Tilda and Fanny.
(c) John and Tilda.
(d) Fanny and John.
3. For what does Gride get ready?
(a) Madeline's wedding to Ralph.
(b) His wedding to Madeline.
(c) Nicholas' wedding to Madeline.
(d) His wedding to Kate.
4. In Hawk's apartments, Pluck and Pyke inform him of what?
(a) Nicholas' determination to kill Ralph.
(b) Rumors that Nicholas is hunting for Hawk.
(c) Nicholas is marrying Madeline.
(d) Rumors of the encounter at the coffee house are all over London.
5. What does Nicholas vow?
(a) To kill Ralph.
(b) To find his father.
(c) To write to Ralph and sever their relationship completely.
(d) To marry Madeline.
6. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
(a) Nicholas' father.
(b) Fanny's uncle.
(c) Smike's father.
(d) Madeline's father.
7. Why is a young man attacking an angry man?
(a) For beating him at a card game.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) For being disrespectful to a young woman.
(d) For stealing his horse.
8. How does Nicholas react when he hears the men saying less than polite comments about Kate?
(a) He becomes angry.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He punches one of them in the face.
(d) He become irritated.
9. What does Nicholas vow to stop at whatever the cost?
(a) Kate's wedding.
(d) Madeline's wedding.
10. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
(a) By stealing his inheritance.
(b) By catching him and having him put in jail.
(c) By finding the person who took the deed, taking the deed from her, and destroying it.
(d) By marrying Kate.
11. After the men have gone, of what does Mrs. Wititterly accuse Kate?
(a) Stealing Hawk away from her.
(b) Allowing a potential husband to walk out the door.
(c) Not caring enough about wealth.
(d) Manipulating the situation in order to be alone with Hawk and thereby advance her position at the expense of the Wititterlys.
12. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
13. Who does Nicholas see as Mr. Charles introduces him to their clerk, Tim?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) A beautiful woman.
14. What does Mrs. Grudden give Nicholas?
(a) A letter that she had forgotten to give him before.
(b) A present.
(c) A cake.
(d) A picture she had drawn of him.
15. What does Nicholas do as Mrs. Grudden sings a sentimental song?
(a) He joins her in the song.
(b) He sits silently.
(c) He makes his farewells and leaves with Smike.
(d) He cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Bray.
2. Why does one of the senior actors, Folair, take Nicholas aside?
3. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
4. What does Smike ask Nicholas, when he has gone with them to their home in the country?
5. Nicholas paid a call on the Kenwigs,' who have had another baby which Mr. Kenwigs has called what?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)