|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas speak, regarding Ralph?
(a) He speaks the words that Ralph is reading in the urgent letter.
(b) He speaks about who sent the urgent letter to Ralph.
(c) He speaks to Ralph, regarding the urgent letter.
(d) He mocks Ralph as Ralph reads the urgent letter.
2. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
(a) John and Tilda.
(b) Kate and Mrs. Nickleby.
(c) Fanny and John.
(d) Tilda and Fanny.
3. After Madeline takes her father out and then returns, what does she urge Nicholas to do?
(a) Stop the wedding.
(b) Find Gride.
(c) Not visit her anymore.
(d) Visit her again soon.
4. To whom does Nicholas pay his final call of the evening?
5. For what does Gride get ready?
(a) Nicholas' wedding to Madeline.
(b) His wedding to Madeline.
(c) Madeline's wedding to Ralph.
(d) His wedding to Kate.
6. Why do Sir Mulberry Hawk and Lord Frederick Verisopht wake up groggily?
(a) They have been travelling a great deal.
(b) They are ill.
(c) They are woken up early in the morning.
(d) After a night of too much revelry.
7. Why does Mr. Charles chide Nicholas and Kate?
(a) For not loving Frank and Madeline.
(b) For not trusting him.
(c) For fearing Ralph.
(d) For suggesting that they themselves would become corrupted if they came in contact with riches.
8. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
(a) That no one can be trusted.
(b) That to become connected with money is to become corrupted.
(c) That love does not exist.
(d) That money is what is important.
9. How does Squeers feel about Snawley?
10. In his attic room, what does Squeers consider to himself?
(a) The decisions he has made.
(b) The horrible things he has done.
(c) The manipulations of Ralph Nickleby that brought him there.
(d) The poor choices he has made.
11. In Hawk's apartments, Pluck and Pyke inform him of what?
(a) Nicholas is marrying Madeline.
(b) Nicholas' determination to kill Ralph.
(c) Rumors of the encounter at the coffee house are all over London.
(d) Rumors that Nicholas is hunting for Hawk.
12. What happens when Squeers mentions Smike to Ralph?
(a) Ralph does not want to hear about Smike.
(b) Ralph becomes upset.
(c) Ralph becomes more interested and gets details of where Squeers is staying.
(d) Ralph wants Smike dead.
13. How does Nicholas react when he hears the men saying less than polite comments about Kate?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He becomes angry.
(c) He become irritated.
(d) He punches one of them in the face.
14. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
(a) Smike becomes too ill to move.
(b) Smike is depressed.
(c) Smike has died.
(d) Smike has become healthier.
15. In Ralph's office, Ralph speaks to himself of what?
(a) His feelings for Kate.
(b) How much he detests Nicholas.
(c) How he can find Nicholas.
(d) How horrible he has been.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
2. What does Squeers tell Ralph he will do if the police ask him what happened?
3. With what does Mr. Lillyvick arrive?
4. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
5. Ralph orders Noggs to get a coach to take them to the Strand, which Noggs realizes will take Ralph where?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)