|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Smike ask Nicholas, when he has gone with them to their home in the country?
(a) To be buried as close as possible to the tree.
(b) To be left alone.
(c) To be taken home.
(d) To be buried in the family cemetery.
2. What does Squeers tell Ralph he will do if the police ask him what happened?
(a) He will say nothing.
(b) He will explain that everything was Ralph's idea.
(c) He will commit suicide.
(d) He will lie to protect Ralph.
3. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
4. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
(a) They escape.
(b) They disappear.
(c) They are caught by Nicholas.
(d) They are all taken into custody.
5. What does Nicholas vow to stop at whatever the cost?
(a) Kate's wedding.
(d) Madeline's wedding.
6. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
(a) Smike is depressed.
(b) Smike has died.
(c) Smike becomes too ill to move.
(d) Smike has become healthier.
7. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
(a) He goes to her.
(b) He follows them inside and listens.
(c) He fights them all.
(d) He ignores them.
8. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
(a) John and Tilda.
(b) Fanny and John.
(c) Tilda and Fanny.
(d) Kate and Mrs. Nickleby.
9. Why can Nicholas not pursue this person?
(a) They leave too quickly.
(b) Mr. Charles is introducing him to Mr. Ned.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He is surprised to see this person.
10. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
(a) He expresses his love for Madeline.
(b) He expresses his concern that they are being taken adavantage of.
(c) He tells them that Ralph is a horrible man, and Madeline should not marry him.
(d) He congratulates her on her wedding.
11. What is learned about the Cheerybles?
(a) They are not kind.
(b) They are protecting Ralph.
(c) They do not like Nicholas.
(d) They sent Ralph the letter he received in Scene 5.
12. In his attic room, what does Squeers consider to himself?
(a) The decisions he has made.
(b) The horrible things he has done.
(c) The poor choices he has made.
(d) The manipulations of Ralph Nickleby that brought him there.
13. How does Squeers encourage Peg into handing over the deed?
(a) He threatens her.
(b) He bribes her.
(c) He blackmails her.
(d) He seduces her.
14. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(a) Noises in his home.
(c) A mysterious feeling.
(d) He is not feeling well.
15. Back in London, for what does the social climbing Mrs. Wititterly ask Kate?
(a) Who she is marrying.
(b) How much money she has as a dowry.
(c) Information about Ralph.
(d) Information about Hawk and Verisopht.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
2. Why is Mr. Lenville, another senior actor, concerned?
3. How is London described?
4. What do Kate and Nicholas tell each other, now that they are not marrying their loved ones?
5. After the men have gone, of what does Mrs. Wititterly accuse Kate?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)