|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
(a) Their decision to leave London.
(b) Their love for Frank and Madeline.
(c) Their fear of Ralph.
(d) Their rejection of Frank and Madeline.
2. Gride takes out the deed he mentioned to Ralph, looks it over once more, puts it back in the trunk and leaves. Of what is he unaware?
(a) The deed is fake.
(b) Peg has been watching him.
(c) Madeline knows about the deed.
(d) Kate has been watching him.
3. Why is Mr. Lenville, another senior actor, concerned?
(a) His roles have become smaller.
(b) His acting is not as good as it once was.
(c) He is not getting the applause he used to since Nicholas arrived.
(d) His characters are much more difficult to understand.
4. What does Nicholas discover about the young man?
(a) He is Smike.
(b) He is John's brother.
(c) He is Frank Cheeryble.
(d) He is his brother.
5. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
(a) By finding the person who took the deed, taking the deed from her, and destroying it.
(b) By catching him and having him put in jail.
(c) By marrying Kate.
(d) By stealing his inheritance.
6. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
(a) He expresses his concern that they are being taken adavantage of.
(b) He tells them that Ralph is a horrible man, and Madeline should not marry him.
(c) He congratulates her on her wedding.
(d) He expresses his love for Madeline.
7. In Hawk's apartments, Pluck and Pyke inform him of what?
(a) Rumors of the encounter at the coffee house are all over London.
(b) Rumors that Nicholas is hunting for Hawk.
(c) Nicholas' determination to kill Ralph.
(d) Nicholas is marrying Madeline.
8. With what does Mr. Lillyvick arrive?
(a) Some news.
(b) Good news.
(c) No news.
(d) Bad news.
9. Back in London, for what does the social climbing Mrs. Wititterly ask Kate?
(a) Who she is marrying.
(b) How much money she has as a dowry.
(c) Information about Hawk and Verisopht.
(d) Information about Ralph.
10. Back in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has gathered for what?
(a) A party.
(b) A meeting.
(c) A meal.
(d) A performance.
11. What does Smike ask Nicholas, when he has gone with them to their home in the country?
(a) To be buried as close as possible to the tree.
(b) To be left alone.
(c) To be taken home.
(d) To be buried in the family cemetery.
12. What do Kate and Nicholas tell each other, now that they are not marrying their loved ones?
(a) They will find others to marry.
(b) They will be lonely.
(c) They will never marry.
(d) They will be each other's companions.
13. What does Squeers tell Ralph he will do if the police ask him what happened?
(a) He will say nothing.
(b) He will commit suicide.
(c) He will explain that everything was Ralph's idea.
(d) He will lie to protect Ralph.
14. Nicholas paid a call on the Kenwigs,' who have had another baby which Mr. Kenwigs has called what?
15. Just as everybody returns to go in to dinner, Noggs arrives in a new suit, confessing what?
(a) That he is leaving London.
(b) That he has been helping Ralph.
(c) That he is getting married.
(d) That he has been helping the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Kate and Mrs. Nickleby visit an invalid named Mrs. Wititterly?
2. How does Hawk respond when Kate tells him how intensely she dislikes him?
3. After Madeline takes her father out and then returns, what does she urge Nicholas to do?
4. What happens when Squeers mentions Smike to Ralph?
5. For what does Gride get ready?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)