|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
(a) Kate and Mrs. Nickleby.
(b) Tilda and Fanny.
(c) Fanny and John.
(d) John and Tilda.
2. What do Kate and Nicholas tell each other, now that they are not marrying their loved ones?
(a) They will be lonely.
(b) They will never marry.
(c) They will be each other's companions.
(d) They will find others to marry.
3. While passing a theatre on the way, what does Nicholas notice about it?
(a) It is playing host to the Crummles Acting Company.
(b) It is performing his play.
(c) That his name is on the sign.
(d) It has closed.
4. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(a) Noises in his home.
(b) A mysterious feeling.
(d) He is not feeling well.
5. What does Mrs. Grudden give Nicholas?
(a) A letter that she had forgotten to give him before.
(b) A picture she had drawn of him.
(c) A present.
(d) A cake.
6. Ralph orders Noggs to get a coach to take them to the Strand, which Noggs realizes will take Ralph where?
(a) To Nicholas.
(b) To John.
(c) To Hawk.
(d) To the home of Nickleby and Kate.
7. Why does one of the senior actors, Folair, take Nicholas aside?
(a) To give Nicholas a gift.
(b) To complain about Nicholas' play.
(c) To express his curiosity about his and Smike's true origins and names.
(d) To thank Nicholas for a job well done.
8. Why do Kate and Mrs. Nickleby visit an invalid named Mrs. Wititterly?
(a) Mrs. Wititterly has advertised for a companion.
(b) To see if she needs anything.
(c) To bring her food.
(d) To care for her.
9. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
(a) He tells them that Ralph is a horrible man, and Madeline should not marry him.
(b) He expresses his love for Madeline.
(c) He congratulates her on her wedding.
(d) He expresses his concern that they are being taken adavantage of.
10. Back in London, for what does the social climbing Mrs. Wititterly ask Kate?
(a) Information about Ralph.
(b) Who she is marrying.
(c) How much money she has as a dowry.
(d) Information about Hawk and Verisopht.
11. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
(a) Smike's father.
(b) Nicholas' father.
(c) Madeline's father.
(d) Fanny's uncle.
12. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
(a) Smike has become healthier.
(b) Smike is depressed.
(c) Smike becomes too ill to move.
(d) Smike has died.
13. What does Nicholas do as Mrs. Grudden sings a sentimental song?
(a) He joins her in the song.
(b) He cries.
(c) He sits silently.
(d) He makes his farewells and leaves with Smike.
14. Describe Bray.
(a) He is a kind, old gentleman.
(b) He is touchy and in a wheelchair.
(c) He is a handsome, sweet man.
(d) He is a robust young man.
15. Why is Mr. Lenville, another senior actor, concerned?
(a) He is not getting the applause he used to since Nicholas arrived.
(b) His characters are much more difficult to understand.
(c) His roles have become smaller.
(d) His acting is not as good as it once was.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Madeline takes her father out and then returns, what does she urge Nicholas to do?
2. Nicholas paid a call on the Kenwigs,' who have had another baby which Mr. Kenwigs has called what?
3. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
4. How does Nicholas react when he hears the men saying less than polite comments about Kate?
5. What is learned about the Cheerybles?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)