|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Squeers feel about Snawley?
2. What does Nicholas speak, regarding Ralph?
(a) He speaks about who sent the urgent letter to Ralph.
(b) He speaks to Ralph, regarding the urgent letter.
(c) He speaks the words that Ralph is reading in the urgent letter.
(d) He mocks Ralph as Ralph reads the urgent letter.
3. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
(a) He tells them that Ralph is a horrible man, and Madeline should not marry him.
(b) He congratulates her on her wedding.
(c) He expresses his love for Madeline.
(d) He expresses his concern that they are being taken adavantage of.
4. After the men have gone, of what does Mrs. Wititterly accuse Kate?
(a) Allowing a potential husband to walk out the door.
(b) Manipulating the situation in order to be alone with Hawk and thereby advance her position at the expense of the Wititterlys.
(c) Not caring enough about wealth.
(d) Stealing Hawk away from her.
5. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
(a) Smike's father.
(b) Fanny's uncle.
(c) Nicholas' father.
(d) Madeline's father.
6. Gride then asks Noggs to stay for a drink and proposes what?
(a) They leave town.
(b) They open a shop together.
(c) A toast to Madeline, his young bride-to-be.
(d) A toast to Ralph and Madeline.
7. Describe Bray.
(a) He is a handsome, sweet man.
(b) He is a kind, old gentleman.
(c) He is touchy and in a wheelchair.
(d) He is a robust young man.
8. In Ralph's office, Ralph speaks to himself of what?
(a) How he can find Nicholas.
(b) How horrible he has been.
(c) How much he detests Nicholas.
(d) His feelings for Kate.
9. What does Mrs. Grudden give Nicholas?
(a) A picture she had drawn of him.
(b) A cake.
(c) A letter that she had forgotten to give him before.
(d) A present.
10. Why does one of the senior actors, Folair, take Nicholas aside?
(a) To express his curiosity about his and Smike's true origins and names.
(b) To complain about Nicholas' play.
(c) To thank Nicholas for a job well done.
(d) To give Nicholas a gift.
11. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
(a) Kate and Mrs. Nickleby.
(b) Fanny and John.
(c) John and Tilda.
(d) Tilda and Fanny.
12. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
(a) That no one can be trusted.
(b) That love does not exist.
(c) That to become connected with money is to become corrupted.
(d) That money is what is important.
13. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
(a) Smike is depressed.
(b) Smike has died.
(c) Smike has become healthier.
(d) Smike becomes too ill to move.
14. Why do Sir Mulberry Hawk and Lord Frederick Verisopht wake up groggily?
(a) They are woken up early in the morning.
(b) They are ill.
(c) They have been travelling a great deal.
(d) After a night of too much revelry.
15. After Madeline takes her father out and then returns, what does she urge Nicholas to do?
(a) Visit her again soon.
(b) Not visit her anymore.
(c) Find Gride.
(d) Stop the wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
2. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
3. What is learned about the Cheerybles?
4. What does Smike ask Nicholas, when he has gone with them to their home in the country?
5. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)