|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the men have gone, of what does Mrs. Wititterly accuse Kate?
(a) Allowing a potential husband to walk out the door.
(b) Manipulating the situation in order to be alone with Hawk and thereby advance her position at the expense of the Wititterlys.
(c) Not caring enough about wealth.
(d) Stealing Hawk away from her.
2. What is learned about the Cheerybles?
(a) They sent Ralph the letter he received in Scene 5.
(b) They are protecting Ralph.
(c) They are not kind.
(d) They do not like Nicholas.
3. Gride then asks Noggs to stay for a drink and proposes what?
(a) They leave town.
(b) A toast to Madeline, his young bride-to-be.
(c) They open a shop together.
(d) A toast to Ralph and Madeline.
4. What happens when Squeers mentions Smike to Ralph?
(a) Ralph does not want to hear about Smike.
(b) Ralph wants Smike dead.
(c) Ralph becomes upset.
(d) Ralph becomes more interested and gets details of where Squeers is staying.
5. What does Squeers tell Ralph he will do if the police ask him what happened?
(a) He will say nothing.
(b) He will lie to protect Ralph.
(c) He will explain that everything was Ralph's idea.
(d) He will commit suicide.
6. Why can Nicholas not pursue this person?
(a) They leave too quickly.
(b) He is embarrassed.
(c) Mr. Charles is introducing him to Mr. Ned.
(d) He is surprised to see this person.
7. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
(a) Fanny's uncle.
(b) Madeline's father.
(c) Smike's father.
(d) Nicholas' father.
8. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(a) He is not feeling well.
(b) Noises in his home.
(c) A mysterious feeling.
9. With what does Mr. Lillyvick arrive?
(a) Good news.
(b) No news.
(c) Some news.
(d) Bad news.
10. How is London described?
(a) Busy, crowded, and full of contrasts.
(b) Pleasant, friendly, and exciting.
(c) Scary, dangerous, and daunting.
(d) Dirty, sad, and lonely.
11. What does Nicholas speak, regarding Ralph?
(a) He speaks about who sent the urgent letter to Ralph.
(b) He mocks Ralph as Ralph reads the urgent letter.
(c) He speaks the words that Ralph is reading in the urgent letter.
(d) He speaks to Ralph, regarding the urgent letter.
12. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
(a) They are all taken into custody.
(b) They are caught by Nicholas.
(c) They escape.
(d) They disappear.
13. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
14. Why does Mr. Charles chide Nicholas and Kate?
(a) For not loving Frank and Madeline.
(b) For fearing Ralph.
(c) For suggesting that they themselves would become corrupted if they came in contact with riches.
(d) For not trusting him.
15. Back in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has gathered for what?
(a) A performance.
(b) A meal.
(c) A meeting.
(d) A party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas travel through the poorest and most degraded section of London?
2. In his attic room, what does Squeers consider to himself?
3. Just as everybody returns to go in to dinner, Noggs arrives in a new suit, confessing what?
4. How does Squeers encourage Peg into handing over the deed?
5. How does Madeline respond when Nicholas impulsively tells her how he feels about her?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)