|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
(a) Their love for Frank and Madeline.
(b) Their rejection of Frank and Madeline.
(c) Their decision to leave London.
(d) Their fear of Ralph.
2. What do Kate and Nicholas tell each other, now that they are not marrying their loved ones?
(a) They will find others to marry.
(b) They will be lonely.
(c) They will never marry.
(d) They will be each other's companions.
3. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
(a) Smike becomes too ill to move.
(b) Smike has become healthier.
(c) Smike has died.
(d) Smike is depressed.
4. Why can Nicholas not pursue this person?
(a) He is surprised to see this person.
(b) Mr. Charles is introducing him to Mr. Ned.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) They leave too quickly.
5. What does Nicholas do as Mrs. Grudden sings a sentimental song?
(a) He sits silently.
(b) He cries.
(c) He joins her in the song.
(d) He makes his farewells and leaves with Smike.
6. Gride then asks Noggs to stay for a drink and proposes what?
(a) They leave town.
(b) They open a shop together.
(c) A toast to Ralph and Madeline.
(d) A toast to Madeline, his young bride-to-be.
7. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
(a) They are caught by Nicholas.
(b) They disappear.
(c) They escape.
(d) They are all taken into custody.
8. How does Madeline respond when Nicholas impulsively tells her how he feels about her?
(a) She is silent.
(b) She giggles.
(c) She tells him she likes him as well.
(d) She tells him to say nothing more.
9. How does Squeers feel about Snawley?
10. What does Mrs. Grudden give Nicholas?
(a) A present.
(b) A cake.
(c) A picture she had drawn of him.
(d) A letter that she had forgotten to give him before.
11. Just as everybody returns to go in to dinner, Noggs arrives in a new suit, confessing what?
(a) That he has been helping the police.
(b) That he is getting married.
(c) That he has been helping Ralph.
(d) That he is leaving London.
12. What is learned about the Cheerybles?
(a) They are protecting Ralph.
(b) They sent Ralph the letter he received in Scene 5.
(c) They do not like Nicholas.
(d) They are not kind.
13. In his attic room, what does Squeers consider to himself?
(a) The poor choices he has made.
(b) The manipulations of Ralph Nickleby that brought him there.
(c) The horrible things he has done.
(d) The decisions he has made.
14. What does the company recount?
(a) The performances of the actors.
(b) How the play has changed from the original.
(c) Who forgot what lines.
(d) The action that took place in the previous play.
15. Into what do Ralph and Gride manipulate Bray?
(a) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Gride.
(b) Agreeing to the marriage of Gride and Kate.
(c) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Nicholas.
(d) Agreeing to the marriage of Ralph and Madeline.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Charles chide Nicholas and Kate?
2. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
3. Mrs. Nickleby and Miss LaCreevy appear with luggage. To where are Kate and Mrs. Nickleby in the process of moving?
4. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
5. In Hawk's apartments, Pluck and Pyke inform him of what?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)