|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas do as Mrs. Grudden sings a sentimental song?
(a) He sits silently.
(b) He makes his farewells and leaves with Smike.
(c) He joins her in the song.
(d) He cries.
2. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
(a) That love does not exist.
(b) That to become connected with money is to become corrupted.
(c) That no one can be trusted.
(d) That money is what is important.
3. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
(a) By marrying Kate.
(b) By catching him and having him put in jail.
(c) By finding the person who took the deed, taking the deed from her, and destroying it.
(d) By stealing his inheritance.
4. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
(a) He expresses his concern that they are being taken adavantage of.
(b) He congratulates her on her wedding.
(c) He tells them that Ralph is a horrible man, and Madeline should not marry him.
(d) He expresses his love for Madeline.
5. What does Nicholas vow to stop at whatever the cost?
(a) Kate's wedding.
(d) Madeline's wedding.
6. What does Nicholas speak, regarding Ralph?
(a) He speaks about who sent the urgent letter to Ralph.
(b) He mocks Ralph as Ralph reads the urgent letter.
(c) He speaks the words that Ralph is reading in the urgent letter.
(d) He speaks to Ralph, regarding the urgent letter.
7. What does Nicholas vow?
(a) To find his father.
(b) To kill Ralph.
(c) To marry Madeline.
(d) To write to Ralph and sever their relationship completely.
8. Why does Nicholas travel through the poorest and most degraded section of London?
(a) To complete his errand for the Cheerybles.
(b) He is lost.
(c) To help the poor.
(d) To see what life is like in this section of London.
9. Why do Kate and Mrs. Nickleby visit an invalid named Mrs. Wititterly?
(a) To see if she needs anything.
(b) To care for her.
(c) To bring her food.
(d) Mrs. Wititterly has advertised for a companion.
10. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(a) Noises in his home.
(b) A mysterious feeling.
(c) He is not feeling well.
11. With what does Mr. Lillyvick arrive?
(a) Bad news.
(b) No news.
(c) Good news.
(d) Some news.
12. Ralph orders Noggs to get a coach to take them to the Strand, which Noggs realizes will take Ralph where?
(a) To John.
(b) To Nicholas.
(c) To the home of Nickleby and Kate.
(d) To Hawk.
13. As the rest of the company leaves, what does Nicholas confess to Smike?
(a) He enjoys his job.
(b) He hopes Kate is happy.
(c) He is anxious about Kate.
(d) He loves being an actor.
14. How does Squeers encourage Peg into handing over the deed?
(a) He blackmails her.
(b) He bribes her.
(c) He seduces her.
(d) He threatens her.
15. What does Mrs. Grudden give Nicholas?
(a) A cake.
(b) A picture she had drawn of him.
(c) A letter that she had forgotten to give him before.
(d) A present.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what do Ralph and Gride manipulate Bray?
2. Why does one of the senior actors, Folair, take Nicholas aside?
3. Gride then asks Noggs to stay for a drink and proposes what?
4. How does Squeers feel about Snawley?
5. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)