|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
(a) He fights them all.
(b) He goes to her.
(c) He follows them inside and listens.
(d) He ignores them.
2. As the rest of the company leaves, what does Nicholas confess to Smike?
(a) He hopes Kate is happy.
(b) He loves being an actor.
(c) He is anxious about Kate.
(d) He enjoys his job.
3. Just as everybody returns to go in to dinner, Noggs arrives in a new suit, confessing what?
(a) That he has been helping the police.
(b) That he is getting married.
(c) That he has been helping Ralph.
(d) That he is leaving London.
4. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
5. What does Nicholas do when he comes to visit Madeline and Bray?
(a) He congratulates her on her wedding.
(b) He tells them that Ralph is a horrible man, and Madeline should not marry him.
(c) He expresses his concern that they are being taken adavantage of.
(d) He expresses his love for Madeline.
6. What happens when Squeers mentions Smike to Ralph?
(a) Ralph wants Smike dead.
(b) Ralph becomes more interested and gets details of where Squeers is staying.
(c) Ralph becomes upset.
(d) Ralph does not want to hear about Smike.
7. With what does Mr. Lillyvick arrive?
(a) Good news.
(b) Some news.
(c) Bad news.
(d) No news.
8. After Madeline takes her father out and then returns, what does she urge Nicholas to do?
(a) Stop the wedding.
(b) Find Gride.
(c) Not visit her anymore.
(d) Visit her again soon.
9. What does Squeers tell Ralph he will do if the police ask him what happened?
(a) He will say nothing.
(b) He will commit suicide.
(c) He will explain that everything was Ralph's idea.
(d) He will lie to protect Ralph.
10. How does Nicholas react when he hears the men saying less than polite comments about Kate?
(a) He become irritated.
(b) He punches one of them in the face.
(c) He calls the police.
(d) He becomes angry.
11. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
(a) Kate and Mrs. Nickleby.
(b) Tilda and Fanny.
(c) Fanny and John.
(d) John and Tilda.
12. Why is a young man attacking an angry man?
(a) For being disrespectful to a young woman.
(b) For stealing his horse.
(c) For beating him at a card game.
(d) He is drunk.
13. Why do Kate and Mrs. Nickleby visit an invalid named Mrs. Wititterly?
(a) Mrs. Wititterly has advertised for a companion.
(b) To see if she needs anything.
(c) To care for her.
(d) To bring her food.
14. How does Squeers encourage Peg into handing over the deed?
(a) He blackmails her.
(b) He threatens her.
(c) He bribes her.
(d) He seduces her.
15. In Ralph's office, Ralph speaks to himself of what?
(a) How much he detests Nicholas.
(b) His feelings for Kate.
(c) How horrible he has been.
(d) How he can find Nicholas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas travel through the poorest and most degraded section of London?
2. What does Nicholas do as Mrs. Grudden sings a sentimental song?
3. While passing a theatre on the way, what does Nicholas notice about it?
4. What does Smike ask Nicholas, when he has gone with them to their home in the country?
5. Why do Sir Mulberry Hawk and Lord Frederick Verisopht wake up groggily?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)