|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Nicholas pay his final call of the evening?
2. Into what do Ralph and Gride manipulate Bray?
(a) Agreeing to the marriage of Ralph and Madeline.
(b) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Gride.
(c) Agreeing to the marriage of Gride and Kate.
(d) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Nicholas.
3. Describe Bray.
(a) He is a robust young man.
(b) He is touchy and in a wheelchair.
(c) He is a handsome, sweet man.
(d) He is a kind, old gentleman.
4. What does Nicholas vow to stop at whatever the cost?
(b) Kate's wedding.
(c) Madeline's wedding.
5. What does the company recount?
(a) Who forgot what lines.
(b) How the play has changed from the original.
(c) The performances of the actors.
(d) The action that took place in the previous play.
6. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
(a) Fanny and John.
(b) Tilda and Fanny.
(c) Kate and Mrs. Nickleby.
(d) John and Tilda.
7. Gride takes out the deed he mentioned to Ralph, looks it over once more, puts it back in the trunk and leaves. Of what is he unaware?
(a) Peg has been watching him.
(b) Madeline knows about the deed.
(c) The deed is fake.
(d) Kate has been watching him.
8. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
9. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
(a) Smike has become healthier.
(b) Smike has died.
(c) Smike is depressed.
(d) Smike becomes too ill to move.
10. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
(a) He follows them inside and listens.
(b) He ignores them.
(c) He fights them all.
(d) He goes to her.
11. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
(a) By finding the person who took the deed, taking the deed from her, and destroying it.
(b) By marrying Kate.
(c) By catching him and having him put in jail.
(d) By stealing his inheritance.
12. What does Nicholas vow?
(a) To kill Ralph.
(b) To marry Madeline.
(c) To find his father.
(d) To write to Ralph and sever their relationship completely.
13. Just as everybody returns to go in to dinner, Noggs arrives in a new suit, confessing what?
(a) That he has been helping Ralph.
(b) That he has been helping the police.
(c) That he is getting married.
(d) That he is leaving London.
14. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
(a) They are caught by Nicholas.
(b) They disappear.
(c) They escape.
(d) They are all taken into custody.
15. Why does one of the senior actors, Folair, take Nicholas aside?
(a) To express his curiosity about his and Smike's true origins and names.
(b) To complain about Nicholas' play.
(c) To give Nicholas a gift.
(d) To thank Nicholas for a job well done.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smike ask Nicholas, when he has gone with them to their home in the country?
2. How does Hawk respond when Kate tells him how intensely she dislikes him?
3. In Ralph's office, Ralph speaks to himself of what?
4. What does Nicholas speak, regarding Ralph?
5. Why does Nicholas travel through the poorest and most degraded section of London?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)