|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what do Ralph and Gride manipulate Bray?
(a) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Gride.
(b) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Nicholas.
(c) Agreeing to the marriage of Gride and Kate.
(d) Agreeing to the marriage of Ralph and Madeline.
2. Back in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has gathered for what?
(a) A performance.
(b) A meal.
(c) A meeting.
(d) A party.
3. What does Smike ask Nicholas, when he has gone with them to their home in the country?
(a) To be buried in the family cemetery.
(b) To be left alone.
(c) To be buried as close as possible to the tree.
(d) To be taken home.
4. How is London described?
(a) Pleasant, friendly, and exciting.
(b) Busy, crowded, and full of contrasts.
(c) Dirty, sad, and lonely.
(d) Scary, dangerous, and daunting.
5. Mrs. Nickleby and Miss LaCreevy appear with luggage. To where are Kate and Mrs. Nickleby in the process of moving?
(a) To a flat in London.
(b) To a new home.
(c) To their home in the country.
(d) Back to Miss LaCreevy's.
6. In his attic room, what does Squeers consider to himself?
(a) The decisions he has made.
(b) The poor choices he has made.
(c) The manipulations of Ralph Nickleby that brought him there.
(d) The horrible things he has done.
7. In Ralph's office, Ralph speaks to himself of what?
(a) How much he detests Nicholas.
(b) His feelings for Kate.
(c) How he can find Nicholas.
(d) How horrible he has been.
8. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
(a) That money is what is important.
(b) That love does not exist.
(c) That no one can be trusted.
(d) That to become connected with money is to become corrupted.
9. What does Nicholas do as Mrs. Grudden sings a sentimental song?
(a) He sits silently.
(b) He joins her in the song.
(c) He makes his farewells and leaves with Smike.
(d) He cries.
10. With what does Mr. Lillyvick arrive?
(a) Good news.
(b) Some news.
(c) No news.
(d) Bad news.
11. Why is Mr. Lenville, another senior actor, concerned?
(a) His acting is not as good as it once was.
(b) He is not getting the applause he used to since Nicholas arrived.
(c) His characters are much more difficult to understand.
(d) His roles have become smaller.
12. How does Squeers encourage Peg into handing over the deed?
(a) He bribes her.
(b) He blackmails her.
(c) He seduces her.
(d) He threatens her.
13. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(a) A mysterious feeling.
(c) Noises in his home.
(d) He is not feeling well.
14. What does Nicholas discover about the young man?
(a) He is Smike.
(b) He is his brother.
(c) He is John's brother.
(d) He is Frank Cheeryble.
15. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
(a) Their love for Frank and Madeline.
(b) Their fear of Ralph.
(c) Their rejection of Frank and Madeline.
(d) Their decision to leave London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
2. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
3. Gride then asks Noggs to stay for a drink and proposes what?
4. What does Squeers tell Ralph he will do if the police ask him what happened?
5. What does Nicholas speak, regarding Ralph?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)