|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gride takes out the deed he mentioned to Ralph, looks it over once more, puts it back in the trunk and leaves. Of what is he unaware?
(a) The deed is fake.
(b) Madeline knows about the deed.
(c) Kate has been watching him.
(d) Peg has been watching him.
2. What is learned about the Cheerybles?
(a) They are not kind.
(b) They sent Ralph the letter he received in Scene 5.
(c) They are protecting Ralph.
(d) They do not like Nicholas.
3. The next day, we see whose offices?
(a) Both Ralph's and the Cheerbyles'.
(b) Both Ralph's and Hawk's.
(c) Both the Cheerbyles' and Kate's.
(d) Both Nicholas' and Ralph's.
4. Who does Nicholas see as Mr. Charles introduces him to their clerk, Tim?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
5. Why does one of the senior actors, Folair, take Nicholas aside?
(a) To give Nicholas a gift.
(b) To complain about Nicholas' play.
(c) To thank Nicholas for a job well done.
(d) To express his curiosity about his and Smike's true origins and names.
6. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
(a) Fanny's uncle.
(b) Smike's father.
(c) Madeline's father.
(d) Nicholas' father.
7. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
(a) Fanny and John.
(b) Tilda and Fanny.
(c) John and Tilda.
(d) Kate and Mrs. Nickleby.
8. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(a) He is not feeling well.
(c) Noises in his home.
(d) A mysterious feeling.
9. In Ralph's office, Ralph speaks to himself of what?
(a) His feelings for Kate.
(b) How he can find Nicholas.
(c) How horrible he has been.
(d) How much he detests Nicholas.
10. Why is a young man attacking an angry man?
(a) For stealing his horse.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) For beating him at a card game.
(d) For being disrespectful to a young woman.
11. Back in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has gathered for what?
(a) A meeting.
(b) A performance.
(c) A party.
(d) A meal.
12. With what does Mr. Lillyvick arrive?
(a) No news.
(b) Some news.
(c) Bad news.
(d) Good news.
13. How does Squeers feel about Snawley?
14. What does Squeers tell Ralph he will do if the police ask him what happened?
(a) He will say nothing.
(b) He will commit suicide.
(c) He will lie to protect Ralph.
(d) He will explain that everything was Ralph's idea.
15. After the men have gone, of what does Mrs. Wititterly accuse Kate?
(a) Allowing a potential husband to walk out the door.
(b) Stealing Hawk away from her.
(c) Manipulating the situation in order to be alone with Hawk and thereby advance her position at the expense of the Wititterlys.
(d) Not caring enough about wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
2. What do Kate and Nicholas tell each other, now that they are not marrying their loved ones?
3. What does Nicholas vow to stop at whatever the cost?
4. How does Nicholas react when he overhears men talking about Kate?
5. What does the company recount?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)