|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Squeers feel about Snawley?
2. Why can Nicholas not pursue this person?
(a) Mr. Charles is introducing him to Mr. Ned.
(b) He is surprised to see this person.
(c) They leave too quickly.
(d) He is embarrassed.
3. Gride then asks Noggs to stay for a drink and proposes what?
(a) They open a shop together.
(b) A toast to Ralph and Madeline.
(c) A toast to Madeline, his young bride-to-be.
(d) They leave town.
4. Just as everybody returns to go in to dinner, Noggs arrives in a new suit, confessing what?
(a) That he is getting married.
(b) That he is leaving London.
(c) That he has been helping Ralph.
(d) That he has been helping the police.
5. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
(a) Their rejection of Frank and Madeline.
(b) Their love for Frank and Madeline.
(c) Their decision to leave London.
(d) Their fear of Ralph.
6. After a chase, what happens to Peg, Squeers and the deed?
(a) They are all taken into custody.
(b) They escape.
(c) They disappear.
(d) They are caught by Nicholas.
7. After Madeline takes her father out and then returns, what does she urge Nicholas to do?
(a) Visit her again soon.
(b) Not visit her anymore.
(c) Find Gride.
(d) Stop the wedding.
8. What does Nicholas discover about the young man?
(a) He is Frank Cheeryble.
(b) He is John's brother.
(c) He is Smike.
(d) He is his brother.
9. What has been causing Ralph to lose sleep?
(b) He is not feeling well.
(c) A mysterious feeling.
(d) Noises in his home.
10. Mrs. Nickleby and Miss LaCreevy appear with luggage. To where are Kate and Mrs. Nickleby in the process of moving?
(a) To a new home.
(b) To a flat in London.
(c) To their home in the country.
(d) Back to Miss LaCreevy's.
11. Why do Sir Mulberry Hawk and Lord Frederick Verisopht wake up groggily?
(a) They are woken up early in the morning.
(b) They have been travelling a great deal.
(c) They are ill.
(d) After a night of too much revelry.
12. What has happened within two weeks of the trip?
(a) Smike becomes too ill to move.
(b) Smike has died.
(c) Smike is depressed.
(d) Smike has become healthier.
13. What does Nicholas speak, regarding Ralph?
(a) He speaks the words that Ralph is reading in the urgent letter.
(b) He mocks Ralph as Ralph reads the urgent letter.
(c) He speaks to Ralph, regarding the urgent letter.
(d) He speaks about who sent the urgent letter to Ralph.
14. As the rest of the company leaves, what does Nicholas confess to Smike?
(a) He is anxious about Kate.
(b) He loves being an actor.
(c) He hopes Kate is happy.
(d) He enjoys his job.
15. Why is Mr. Lenville, another senior actor, concerned?
(a) He is not getting the applause he used to since Nicholas arrived.
(b) His characters are much more difficult to understand.
(c) His roles have become smaller.
(d) His acting is not as good as it once was.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
2. After the men have gone, of what does Mrs. Wititterly accuse Kate?
3. Gride takes out the deed he mentioned to Ralph, looks it over once more, puts it back in the trunk and leaves. Of what is he unaware?
4. What does Squeers tell Ralph he will do if the police ask him what happened?
5. For what does Gride get ready?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)