|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ralph believe they can take revenge on Nicholas?
(a) By catching him and having him put in jail.
(b) By stealing his inheritance.
(c) By marrying Kate.
(d) By finding the person who took the deed, taking the deed from her, and destroying it.
2. After the men have gone, of what does Mrs. Wititterly accuse Kate?
(a) Allowing a potential husband to walk out the door.
(b) Not caring enough about wealth.
(c) Stealing Hawk away from her.
(d) Manipulating the situation in order to be alone with Hawk and thereby advance her position at the expense of the Wititterlys.
3. What does Nicholas discover about the young man?
(a) He is John's brother.
(b) He is Frank Cheeryble.
(c) He is Smike.
(d) He is his brother.
4. With what does Mr. Lillyvick arrive?
(a) Good news.
(b) No news.
(c) Bad news.
(d) Some news.
5. What does Nicholas vow to stop at whatever the cost?
(b) Madeline's wedding.
(c) Kate's wedding.
6. In Hawk's apartments, Pluck and Pyke inform him of what?
(a) Nicholas is marrying Madeline.
(b) Rumors that Nicholas is hunting for Hawk.
(c) Rumors of the encounter at the coffee house are all over London.
(d) Nicholas' determination to kill Ralph.
7. How does Squeers feel about Snawley?
8. With whom does Nicholas meet at the tavern?
(a) Fanny and John.
(b) John and Tilda.
(c) Tilda and Fanny.
(d) Kate and Mrs. Nickleby.
9. Why does Nicholas travel through the poorest and most degraded section of London?
(a) To see what life is like in this section of London.
(b) To help the poor.
(c) He is lost.
(d) To complete his errand for the Cheerybles.
10. Into what do Ralph and Gride manipulate Bray?
(a) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Nicholas.
(b) Agreeing to the marriage of Madeline and Gride.
(c) Agreeing to the marriage of Gride and Kate.
(d) Agreeing to the marriage of Ralph and Madeline.
11. For what does Gride get ready?
(a) His wedding to Kate.
(b) Nicholas' wedding to Madeline.
(c) Madeline's wedding to Ralph.
(d) His wedding to Madeline.
12. Gride takes out the deed he mentioned to Ralph, looks it over once more, puts it back in the trunk and leaves. Of what is he unaware?
(a) Kate has been watching him.
(b) Peg has been watching him.
(c) Madeline knows about the deed.
(d) The deed is fake.
13. Describe Bray.
(a) He is a kind, old gentleman.
(b) He is touchy and in a wheelchair.
(c) He is a handsome, sweet man.
(d) He is a robust young man.
14. Why do Sir Mulberry Hawk and Lord Frederick Verisopht wake up groggily?
(a) They are woken up early in the morning.
(b) They are ill.
(c) After a night of too much revelry.
(d) They have been travelling a great deal.
15. Why does Mr. Charles chide Nicholas and Kate?
(a) For fearing Ralph.
(b) For not trusting him.
(c) For not loving Frank and Madeline.
(d) For suggesting that they themselves would become corrupted if they came in contact with riches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas vow?
2. In his attic room, what does Squeers consider to himself?
3. Back in Portsmouth, the Crummles Company has gathered for what?
4. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
5. To whom does Nicholas pay his final call of the evening?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)