|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas vow?
(a) To write to Ralph and sever their relationship completely.
(b) To marry Madeline.
(c) To find his father.
(d) To kill Ralph.
2. While passing a theatre on the way, what does Nicholas notice about it?
(a) It is playing host to the Crummles Acting Company.
(b) It has closed.
(c) That his name is on the sign.
(d) It is performing his play.
3. The next day, we see whose offices?
(a) Both the Cheerbyles' and Kate's.
(b) Both Ralph's and the Cheerbyles'.
(c) Both Ralph's and Hawk's.
(d) Both Nicholas' and Ralph's.
4. What does Nicholas say they learned on their journey?
(a) That love does not exist.
(b) That money is what is important.
(c) That no one can be trusted.
(d) That to become connected with money is to become corrupted.
5. What do Kate and Nicholas tell each other, now that they are not marrying their loved ones?
(a) They will never marry.
(b) They will be lonely.
(c) They will find others to marry.
(d) They will be each other's companions.
6. Who does Nicholas see as Mr. Charles introduces him to their clerk, Tim?
(a) His mother.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
7. What does Mrs. Grudden give Nicholas?
(a) A present.
(b) A letter that she had forgotten to give him before.
(c) A cake.
(d) A picture she had drawn of him.
8. Who does Mr. Snawley say he is?
(a) Nicholas' father.
(b) Smike's father.
(c) Fanny's uncle.
(d) Madeline's father.
9. Where are Nicholas and Kate headed?
10. As the rest of the company leaves, what does Nicholas confess to Smike?
(a) He loves being an actor.
(b) He hopes Kate is happy.
(c) He is anxious about Kate.
(d) He enjoys his job.
11. Describe Bray.
(a) He is a kind, old gentleman.
(b) He is a robust young man.
(c) He is a handsome, sweet man.
(d) He is touchy and in a wheelchair.
12. Mrs. Nickleby and Miss LaCreevy appear with luggage. To where are Kate and Mrs. Nickleby in the process of moving?
(a) To a new home.
(b) To their home in the country.
(c) Back to Miss LaCreevy's.
(d) To a flat in London.
13. Once again Nicholas looks for work, and once again what happens?
(a) An opportunity as good as falls in his lap.
(b) He has no luck.
(c) He cannot find any.
(d) He finds a horrible job.
14. Just as everybody returns to go in to dinner, Noggs arrives in a new suit, confessing what?
(a) That he is getting married.
(b) That he has been helping Ralph.
(c) That he has been helping the police.
(d) That he is leaving London.
15. How does Hawk respond when Kate tells him how intensely she dislikes him?
(a) He will leave her alone.
(b) He tells her it does not matter.
(c) He apologizes for being so horrible.
(d) He walks away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas vow to stop at whatever the cost?
2. About what does Charles Cheeryble confront Nicholas and Kate?
3. Why does Mr. Charles chide Nicholas and Kate?
4. What does the company recount?
5. Why can Nicholas not pursue this person?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)