|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John Bowdie do when Nicholas encounters him in the countryside near Dotheboys?
(a) He congratulates him on beating Squeers and offers money so he can get away.
(b) He runs the other way.
(c) He asks if Squeers is alright.
(d) He reprimands him for his poor behavior.
2. What happened to the girl the Kenwigs had paid to watch the baby?
(a) She left the baby alone.
(b) She has run away.
(c) She had caught her hair on fire.
(d) She burned the dinner.
3. For whom is Mrs. Kenwigs waiting?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her uncle.
4. What does Squeers make this person do?
(a) Take the baggage in.
(b) Take Nicholas to his room.
(c) Do one hundred push-ups.
(d) Scrub the floors.
5. Why does Bonney protest?
(a) The company will no longer be able to function.
(b) The company does not want him to join.
(c) The company does not want more of Ralph's money.
(d) The company does not want to be sold.
6. These two go through the Mantalinis' things and reveal what?
(a) The Mantalinis are to be taken in lieu of cash payment for a debt.
(b) The Mantalinis are nice people, and they have changed their mind and do not want to take their things.
(c) There is nothing of value.
(d) They came to the wrong house by mistake.
7. Paris challenges Romeo, they fight, and what happens?
(a) Paris runs away.
(b) Romeo runs away.
(c) Paris is killed.
(d) Paris kills Romeo.
8. What does Noggs show Kate and Mrs. Nickleby?
(a) Their new shop.
(b) Their depressing new home.
(c) His home.
(d) A picture of Mr. Nickleby.
9. What has Noggs arranged for Nicholas?
(a) For him to tutor the Kenwigs' children.
(b) For him to leave London.
(c) For him to return to Dothesboys Hall.
(d) For him to live with his mother and sister.
10. What is odd about this place?
(a) Here it does not really have a name at all.
(b) It is very quiet.
(c) Everyone looks angry.
(d) It looks abandoned.
11. What does this person offer Nicholas?
(a) The opportunity to act and to adapt new plays for the company, promising them each a pound a week.
(b) A ride to Portmouth.
(c) A job in a tavern.
(d) A ride back to London.
12. Where do Nicholas, Squeers and the Boys arrive?
(a) In a small village.
(b) At Dotheboys Hall.
(c) At a tavern.
(d) In London.
13. To what does Ralph invite Kate?
(a) To the theater.
(b) Out to dinner.
(c) To meet his family.
(d) To be hostess at a party he is giving the next night.
14. How does Mr. Lillyvick react when Noggs leaves suddenly?
15. Crowl comes with what news?
(a) Squeers has been attacked.
(b) Nicholas is missing.
(c) Two men, both covered in mud, are at the door and are asking for Noggs.
(d) London is burning.
Short Answer Questions
1. To avoid confrontation with the Kenwigs, what has this man arranged?
2. Ignoring Kate's discomfort, Hawk and Verisopht joke about what?
3. What does Smike tell Nicholas that he cannot remember?
4. Why does Bonney come to see Ralph?
5. Why is this man worried about how the Kenwigs will react to the news of his love interest?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)