|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does this woman ask for Kate?
(a) She does not like working with "old frights" like Miss Knag.
(b) She wants to make Miss Knag jealous.
(c) She has known Kate for years.
(d) She thinks Kate is beautiful.
2. As Kate arrives what are the owners of the shop doing?
3. As soon as the members of the company discover that Nicholas is a playwright, what do they do?
(a) Begin to ignore him.
(b) Ask about auditions for his plays.
(c) Want his autograph.
(d) Start asking him which parts they will be play in the new play.
4. Why does Nicholas slip away after the wedding?
(a) He is not happy about the wedding.
(b) He is not feeling well.
(c) He received a letter.
(d) He is anxious to learn the role of Romeo.
5. Kate is alone when who arrives to repossess the Mantalinis' belongings?
(a) Tilda and Fanny.
(b) Hawk and Verisopht.
(c) Ralph and and large man.
(d) Two rough-looking men called Scaley and Tix.
6. Nicholas arrives at the tavern where Squeers is depriving the boys in his charge of what?
(c) Their breakfast.
7. What does Crowl volunteer to do?
(a) Cook Noggs' dinner for him.
(b) Go to the party in Noggs' place.
(c) Stay behind and keep an eye on Noggs' fire.
(d) Tell the family that Noggs will not be attending the party.
8. Seeing Kate getting more uncomfortable as the men get raunchier, Hawk interrupts, expressing what belief?
(a) Kate is hoping someone in the room will pay attention to her.
(b) Kate wants to join in on the conversation.
(c) Kate should go home.
(d) Kate likes the attention.
9. Who is Miss LaCreevy?
(a) The Nicklebys' aunt.
(b) A school mistress.
(c) A painter of miniature portraits.
(d) A crazy woman who wanders the streets.
10. At the moment Kate left Ralph's, Ralph saw a resemblance to whom, in Kate's face?
(a) His father.
(b) His dead younger brother, Kate's father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A kind woman.
11. When Mrs. Nickleby asks Kate whether she has anything to say to her uncle, what does Kate say?
(a) She has nothing to say.
(b) She angrily storms out of the room.
(c) She quietly thanks him.
(d) She does, but insists upon saying it in private.
12. What is revealed about Paris?
(a) He is no longer intersted in Juliet.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is not actually dead.
(d) He has left Verona.
13. What happened to the girl the Kenwigs had paid to watch the baby?
(a) She burned the dinner.
(b) She left the baby alone.
(c) She has run away.
(d) She had caught her hair on fire.
14. As she finishes writing her letter, who appears, looking for his son?
(a) A man named Brooker.
(d) Mr. Nickleby.
15. What does Nicholas realize he must do to save Kate and his mother?
(a) He must find a job quickly.
(b) He must find them a new home.
(c) He has to get rid of Ralph.
(d) He has to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Squeers, Mrs. Squeers and Smike are gone, what does Nicholas do?
2. As Kate poses for Miss LaCreevy, what do they discuss?
3. Members of the company, speaking in turn, give what information to the audience?
4. What does the owner of the shop promise Kate?
5. Back at Dotheboys, what is Squeers doing to Smike?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)