|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas do when he discovers Smike alone?
(a) He teaches him a geography lesson.
(b) He gives him a proper spelling lesson.
(c) He helps him with his math homework.
(d) He sends him away.
2. When Madame Mantalini and Miss Knag arrive, what announcement is made?
(a) Miss Knag has purchased the company.
(b) Kate will be purchasing the shop.
(c) Madame Mantalini is buying back her shop.
(d) Miss Knag is quitting.
3. What does Kate ask Ralph?
(a) If she could have her own place.
(b) Where she will be living.
(c) Whether she is to live at home.
(d) Why he is so cruel.
4. What does Fanny do when a servant girl tries to comfort her?
(a) She defends Tilda.
(b) She thanks the girl for comforting her.
(c) She enjoys the comfort.
(d) She becomes even more upset.
5. About what is this song?
(a) The glory of England, its industry, its wealth, and joy.
(b) The importance of compassion.
(c) The power of love.
(d) The love of family.
6. What, again, upsets Fanny soon after she happily embraces Tilda?
(a) Tilda starts talking about Nicholas.
(b) Fanny sees Nicholas talking to another girl.
(c) Nicholas leaves.
(d) Tilda tells her she does not like Nicholas.
7. As Mrs. Nickleby appears, Ralph announces that he has found a position for Kate working for whom?
(a) A milliner and dressmaker.
(b) A weaver.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A blacksmith.
8. Who represents the wealthy industrial classes?
(a) Crowl, Noggs and Brooker.
(b) Kate, Noggs and Brooker.
(c) Ralph, Crowl and Noggs.
(d) Kate, Mrs. Nickleby and Squeers.
9. What other news does Friar Lawrence bring?
(a) Benvolio is dead.
(b) Romeo is in fact a woman.
(c) Benvolio is in fact a woman.
(d) Tybalt is in fact a woman.
10. Seeing Kate getting more uncomfortable as the men get raunchier, Hawk interrupts, expressing what belief?
(a) Kate wants to join in on the conversation.
(b) Kate likes the attention.
(c) Kate should go home.
(d) Kate is hoping someone in the room will pay attention to her.
11. In addition to writing the new play, what is Nicholas to do?
(a) Produce and direct the plays.
(b) Study some of the great classical parts like Romeo and Cassio.
(c) Create the advertisements for each play.
(d) Direct the plays.
12. Who does Nicholas go to visit?
(c) Sir Matthew Pupker.
(d) The Crummles.
13. What do Mrs. Nickleby and Kate help Nicholas do, before he leaves for Dothesboys Hall?
(a) Write a letter to his uncle.
(b) Sell the home.
(c) Buy supplies for the trip.
14. As Kate arrives what are the owners of the shop doing?
15. How does Kate's first fitting go?
(d) Not very well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Squeers make this person do?
2. Who does, Member of Parliament, Sir Matthew Pupker face in the tavern?
3. Of what does Hawk accuse Ralph?
4. What is revealed about Paris?
5. Into what actress does Nicholas run?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)