|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kate is alone when who arrives to repossess the Mantalinis' belongings?
(a) Hawk and Verisopht.
(b) Tilda and Fanny.
(c) Ralph and and large man.
(d) Two rough-looking men called Scaley and Tix.
2. Of what does Miss Knag accuse Kate?
(a) Bribing customers.
(b) Stealing money from Madame Mantalini.
(c) Trying to ruin her chances at getting better pay.
(d) Manipulating her way into Madame Mantalini's affections.
3. What does Noggs show Kate and Mrs. Nickleby?
(a) A picture of Mr. Nickleby.
(b) Their depressing new home.
(c) His home.
(d) Their new shop.
4. How does Kate's first fitting go?
(b) Not very well.
5. What does Squeers make this person do?
(a) Do one hundred push-ups.
(b) Take Nicholas to his room.
(c) Take the baggage in.
(d) Scrub the floors.
6. At the close of the first performance of Nicholas' new play, who visits him?
(d) Mr. Lillyvick.
7. Ignoring Kate's discomfort, Hawk and Verisopht joke about what?
(a) Alcohol and other vile habits.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Their taste in women.
(d) Her presence almost makes the extra interest Ralph is charging them worthwhile.
8. Paris challenges Romeo, they fight, and what happens?
(a) Romeo runs away.
(b) Paris runs away.
(c) Paris kills Romeo.
(d) Paris is killed.
9. When Squeers, Mrs. Squeers and Smike are gone, what does Nicholas do?
(a) He goes to his room.
(b) He sits on a bench and ponders his new life.
(c) He cries for Kate.
(d) Reads the letter from Noggs.
10. The Crummles Company (with Miss Snevellecci as Juliet) enters, circles Kate, and performs what scene?
(a) The scene in which the Montagues and Capulets find the bodies of Romeo and Juliet.
(b) The scene in which Romeo goes to the Apothecary.
(c) The scene in which Juilet and Romeo meet.
(d) The scene in which Juliet's father shouts angrily about her reluctance to marry whom she's told to marry.
11. Why does Mrs. Nickleby take her two children with her to see Ralph?
(a) Her husband has died and left her penniless.
(b) Her husband is spending time with his brother.
(c) She wants to visit her husband's brother.
(d) Ralph has invited them to visit.
12. Who does Nicholas go to visit?
(b) Sir Matthew Pupker.
(d) The Crummles.
13. The action returns to what scene?
(a) In which Romeo and Juliet meet.
(b) In which the Nurse tells Juliet Romeo is gone.
(c) In which Romeo (played by Nicholas) is told that Juliet is dead, and vows with the help of the Apothecary to die next to her.
(d) In which Tybalt kills Mercutio.
14. As she finishes writing her letter, who appears, looking for his son?
(a) A man named Brooker.
(c) Mr. Nickleby.
15. What is revealed about Paris?
(a) He is not actually dead.
(b) He has left Verona.
(c) He is no longer intersted in Juliet.
(d) He is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas defend his employer to Fanny, Tilda and John?
2. Where does Nicholas say they are going?
3. What does Nicholas realize he must do to save Kate and his mother?
4. What do Mrs. Nickleby and Kate help Nicholas do, before he leaves for Dothesboys Hall?
5. What does Nicholas do to Squeers?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)