|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas realize he must do to save Kate and his mother?
(a) He has to get rid of Ralph.
(b) He must find them a new home.
(c) He must find a job quickly.
(d) He has to leave.
2. What does Squeers make this person do?
(a) Take the baggage in.
(b) Take Nicholas to his room.
(c) Do one hundred push-ups.
(d) Scrub the floors.
3. What does Nicholas do when he discovers Smike alone?
(a) He teaches him a geography lesson.
(b) He helps him with his math homework.
(c) He sends him away.
(d) He gives him a proper spelling lesson.
4. Seeing Kate getting more uncomfortable as the men get raunchier, Hawk interrupts, expressing what belief?
(a) Kate is hoping someone in the room will pay attention to her.
(b) Kate likes the attention.
(c) Kate should go home.
(d) Kate wants to join in on the conversation.
5. Noggs also appears and secretly gives Nicholas what?
(a) A book.
(b) A drawing.
(c) A box.
(d) A letter.
6. What does John Bowdie do when Nicholas encounters him in the countryside near Dotheboys?
(a) He reprimands him for his poor behavior.
(b) He asks if Squeers is alright.
(c) He runs the other way.
(d) He congratulates him on beating Squeers and offers money so he can get away.
7. When Pupker gives Nicholas a list of things to do, how does Nicholas react?
(a) He walks out.
(b) He asks what Pupker would like done first.
(c) He asks Pupker what he will be doing while he is doing all the work.
(d) He returns the list back to Pupker, telling him he is not interested.
8. What does Mr. Mantalini sell Ralph?
(a) His stock of hats.
(b) His soul.
(c) The outstanding bills from the millinery shop.
(d) A train ticket.
9. Back at Dotheboys, what is Squeers doing to Smike?
(a) Calling for him.
(b) Whipping him.
(c) Teasing him.
(d) Torturing him.
10. As they prepare to move on, they encounter who?
(a) Vincent Crummles.
(d) Mr. Lillyvick.
11. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
(a) Ignore him.
(b) Giggle and flirt with him.
(c) Get him into trouble with Mr. Squeers.
(d) Stage a little scene which ends with Fanny fainting into Nicholas' arms.
12. Where is this couple married?
(a) City hall.
(b) A tavern.
(c) The Crummles'.
(d) A small chapel in London.
13. What is revealed about Paris?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is not actually dead.
(c) He has left Verona.
(d) He is no longer intersted in Juliet.
14. The party is resuming when suddenly what happens?
(a) Loud screams are heard.
(b) A loud crash is heard.
(c) The entire party begins to laugh.
(d) A fight breaks out.
15. What list does Mrs. Squeers goes through?
(a) The list of chores to be done.
(b) Her shopping list.
(c) The lengthy list of troublesome boys at the school.
(d) Nicholas' class list.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in London, Newman Noggs arrives at Miss LaCreevy's to take Mrs. Nickleby and Kate where?
2. When Mrs. Nickleby asks Kate whether she has anything to say to her uncle, what does Kate say?
3. As Mrs. Nickleby appears, Ralph announces that he has found a position for Kate working for whom?
4. For whom is Mrs. Kenwigs waiting?
5. As Nicholas leaves, how does Lillyvick describe him?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)