|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a roadside tavern, Nicholas and Smike learn with dismay that not only is it still twelve miles to Portsmouth, but what?
(a) The Landlord has neither food nor shelter he can give them.
(b) There are no carriages headed that way.
(c) They have no more money.
(d) There is no room for them to stay in Portsmouth.
2. At the close of the first performance of Nicholas' new play, who visits him?
(b) Mr. Lillyvick.
3. As Kate arrives what are the owners of the shop doing?
4. What does Crowl volunteer to do?
(a) Go to the party in Noggs' place.
(b) Stay behind and keep an eye on Noggs' fire.
(c) Tell the family that Noggs will not be attending the party.
(d) Cook Noggs' dinner for him.
5. How does Mr. Lillyvick react when Noggs leaves suddenly?
6. What does John Bowdie do when Nicholas encounters him in the countryside near Dotheboys?
(a) He asks if Squeers is alright.
(b) He reprimands him for his poor behavior.
(c) He congratulates him on beating Squeers and offers money so he can get away.
(d) He runs the other way.
7. Where does this play take place?
(a) New York City.
8. Seeing Kate getting more uncomfortable as the men get raunchier, Hawk interrupts, expressing what belief?
(a) Kate wants to join in on the conversation.
(b) Kate should go home.
(c) Kate likes the attention.
(d) Kate is hoping someone in the room will pay attention to her.
9. When Squeers, Mrs. Squeers and Smike are gone, what does Nicholas do?
(a) He sits on a bench and ponders his new life.
(b) Reads the letter from Noggs.
(c) He cries for Kate.
(d) He goes to his room.
10. Who does Squeers summon?
11. How does Ralph react when Kate begins to cry out of gratitude and relief?
(a) He begins to care about her.
(b) He comforts her.
(c) He smiles.
(d) He tells her roughly to stop.
12. At the moment Kate left Ralph's, Ralph saw a resemblance to whom, in Kate's face?
(a) A kind woman.
(b) Her mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His dead younger brother, Kate's father.
13. What has Noggs arranged for Nicholas?
(a) For him to leave London.
(b) For him to tutor the Kenwigs' children.
(c) For him to return to Dothesboys Hall.
(d) For him to live with his mother and sister.
14. What does Madame Mantalini also announce?
(a) She is separating from Mr. Mantalini.
(b) She wants Kate to continue to work for her.
(c) She is having a child.
(d) She is quitting her job.
15. What, again, upsets Fanny soon after she happily embraces Tilda?
(a) Nicholas leaves.
(b) Fanny sees Nicholas talking to another girl.
(c) Tilda tells her she does not like Nicholas.
(d) Tilda starts talking about Nicholas.
Short Answer Questions
1. To avoid confrontation with the Kenwigs, what has this man arranged?
2. What does Squeers make this person do?
3. Who are the Curdles?
4. Of what does Miss Knag accuse Kate?
5. What does Noggs show Kate and Mrs. Nickleby?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)