|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Kate poses for Miss LaCreevy, what do they discuss?
(a) The women in town.
(b) How much she adores her uncle.
(c) How happy she is for Nicholas.
(d) Ralph and how uneasy Kate feels around him.
2. Describe Fanny and Tilda.
(a) Tough, angry women.
(b) Silly, spoiled snobs.
(c) Kind, and beautiful ladies.
(d) Shy, timid young girls.
3. Of what does Miss Knag accuse Kate?
(a) Bribing customers.
(b) Trying to ruin her chances at getting better pay.
(c) Stealing money from Madame Mantalini.
(d) Manipulating her way into Madame Mantalini's affections.
4. The Kenwigs ask Nicholas to stay. How does he respond?
(a) He cannot stay.
(b) He is tired, dirty, and wants to rest.
(c) He would be glad to stay.
(d) He does not want to stay.
5. Why is this man worried about how the Kenwigs will react to the news of his love interest?
(a) He has no money to give to Miss Petowker.
(b) They will not be happy to know he loves their daughter.
(c) The inheritance they were expecting will now be Miss Petowker's.
(d) They will forbid his marriage.
6. With what bad news does Noggs interrupt Nicholas?
(a) Ralph has left town.
(b) Kate has lost her job.
(c) Fanny wants to marry him.
(d) Ralph has returned early, has seen the letter from Fanny, and has gone straight to Mrs. Nickleby's.
7. Ignoring Kate's discomfort, Hawk and Verisopht joke about what?
(a) Her presence almost makes the extra interest Ralph is charging them worthwhile.
(b) Their taste in women.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Alcohol and other vile habits.
8. What does the owner of the shop promise Kate?
(a) A long work day.
(b) A place to sleep.
(c) A good salary.
(d) An easy job.
9. What does this person offer Nicholas?
(a) A ride to Portmouth.
(b) A job in a tavern.
(c) The opportunity to act and to adapt new plays for the company, promising them each a pound a week.
(d) A ride back to London.
10. What do Mr. and Mrs. Kenwigs do when Noggs arrives?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They glare at him.
(c) They introduce him to their family.
(d) They embrace him.
11. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
(a) A letter informing him of his brother's death, that his brother's family has arrived in town, and that they would like to see him.
(b) His lunch.
(c) A bill for his laundry.
(d) A note from Bonney.
12. Who is Miss LaCreevy?
(a) A crazy woman who wanders the streets.
(b) The Nicklebys' aunt.
(c) A school mistress.
(d) A painter of miniature portraits.
13. Where does this play take place?
(d) New York City.
14. As Nicholas leaves, how does Lillyvick describe him?
(a) As a maniac.
(b) As a poor man.
(c) As aristocratic.
(d) As a imbecile.
15. What is revealed about Paris?
(a) He is not actually dead.
(b) He is no longer intersted in Juliet.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He has left Verona.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas do to Squeers?
2. How do Kate and Mrs. Nickleby react when Ralph confronts them with the information contained in Fanny's letter?
3. What does Mr. Mantalini sell Ralph?
4. Who does Squeers summon?
5. For whom is Mrs. Kenwigs waiting?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)