|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Squeers, Mrs. Squeers and Smike are gone, what does Nicholas do?
(a) He sits on a bench and ponders his new life.
(b) Reads the letter from Noggs.
(c) He goes to his room.
(d) He cries for Kate.
2. With what bad news does Noggs interrupt Nicholas?
(a) Fanny wants to marry him.
(b) Ralph has left town.
(c) Kate has lost her job.
(d) Ralph has returned early, has seen the letter from Fanny, and has gone straight to Mrs. Nickleby's.
3. The Crummles Company (with Miss Snevellecci as Juliet) enters, circles Kate, and performs what scene?
(a) The scene in which Juliet's father shouts angrily about her reluctance to marry whom she's told to marry.
(b) The scene in which Juilet and Romeo meet.
(c) The scene in which the Montagues and Capulets find the bodies of Romeo and Juliet.
(d) The scene in which Romeo goes to the Apothecary.
4. What does Fanny write in a letter to Ralph?
(a) She tells only a part of the Squeers attack.
(b) She keeps the attack on Squeers a secret.
(c) She tells him how much she loves Nicholas.
(d) She exaggerates Nicholas' attack on Squeers.
5. When Mrs. Nickleby asks Kate whether she has anything to say to her uncle, what does Kate say?
(a) She has nothing to say.
(b) She angrily storms out of the room.
(c) She does, but insists upon saying it in private.
(d) She quietly thanks him.
6. In addition to writing the new play, what is Nicholas to do?
(a) Study some of the great classical parts like Romeo and Cassio.
(b) Produce and direct the plays.
(c) Direct the plays.
(d) Create the advertisements for each play.
7. What does Mr. Lillyvick do when Mr. Kenwigs desperately pleads with him to stay?
(a) He decides to stay.
(b) He asks for a favor of Mr. Kenwigs.
(c) He cannot make up his mind.
(d) He leaves.
8. Why does Nicholas defend his employer to Fanny, Tilda and John?
(a) Out of care for his employer.
(b) Out of care for his job.
(c) Out of loyalty.
(d) Out of interest in Fanny.
9. What does Nicholas do to Squeers?
(a) He pushes him out of the way.
(b) He grabs him and beats him with the whipping stick.
(c) He yells at him.
(d) He ignores him.
10. Of what does Miss Knag accuse Kate?
(a) Bribing customers.
(b) Stealing money from Madame Mantalini.
(c) Manipulating her way into Madame Mantalini's affections.
(d) Trying to ruin her chances at getting better pay.
11. How does Ralph react when Kate begins to cry out of gratitude and relief?
(a) He comforts her.
(b) He begins to care about her.
(c) He smiles.
(d) He tells her roughly to stop.
12. Why does Nicholas slip away after the wedding?
(a) He is not happy about the wedding.
(b) He is anxious to learn the role of Romeo.
(c) He received a letter.
(d) He is not feeling well.
13. Members of the company, speaking in turn, give what information to the audience?
(a) The family background of the Nickleby family.
(b) The location of the play.
(c) How to behave as an audience member.
(d) The family backgrounds of each character in the play.
14. Who does Squeers summon?
15. When Madame Mantalini and Miss Knag arrive, what announcement is made?
(a) Miss Knag is quitting.
(b) Madame Mantalini is buying back her shop.
(c) Kate will be purchasing the shop.
(d) Miss Knag has purchased the company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nicholas go to visit?
2. Why does this woman ask for Kate?
3. At the moment Kate left Ralph's, Ralph saw a resemblance to whom, in Kate's face?
4. As Kate poses for Miss LaCreevy, what do they discuss?
5. How do Kate and Mrs. Nickleby react when Ralph confronts them with the information contained in Fanny's letter?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)