|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seeing Kate getting more uncomfortable as the men get raunchier, Hawk interrupts, expressing what belief?
(a) Kate is hoping someone in the room will pay attention to her.
(b) Kate should go home.
(c) Kate wants to join in on the conversation.
(d) Kate likes the attention.
2. In a roadside tavern, Nicholas and Smike learn with dismay that not only is it still twelve miles to Portsmouth, but what?
(a) The Landlord has neither food nor shelter he can give them.
(b) There is no room for them to stay in Portsmouth.
(c) There are no carriages headed that way.
(d) They have no more money.
3. Kate is alone when who arrives to repossess the Mantalinis' belongings?
(a) Two rough-looking men called Scaley and Tix.
(b) Ralph and and large man.
(c) Hawk and Verisopht.
(d) Tilda and Fanny.
4. By what is this man distracted?
(a) A theater performance.
(b) A letter from Fanny.
(c) A delegation from his political district.
(d) His fear of the world.
5. At a tavern in the lower class end of London, what is Wackford Squeers, the headmaster of Dotheboys Hall, doing?
(a) Shopping for school supplies.
(b) Picking up students for his school.
(c) Abusing two boys in his charge.
(d) Teaching a spelling lesson.
6. What does Madame Mantalini also announce?
(a) She wants Kate to continue to work for her.
(b) She is having a child.
(c) She is separating from Mr. Mantalini.
(d) She is quitting her job.
7. At the moment Kate left Ralph's, Ralph saw a resemblance to whom, in Kate's face?
(a) A kind woman.
(b) His father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) His dead younger brother, Kate's father.
8. How is Kate welcomed by the women in the workroom?
(b) With silence.
9. Back at Dotheboys, what is Squeers doing to Smike?
(a) Torturing him.
(b) Teasing him.
(c) Calling for him.
(d) Whipping him.
10. These two go through the Mantalinis' things and reveal what?
(a) The Mantalinis are to be taken in lieu of cash payment for a debt.
(b) The Mantalinis are nice people, and they have changed their mind and do not want to take their things.
(c) There is nothing of value.
(d) They came to the wrong house by mistake.
11. What has Noggs arranged for Nicholas?
(a) For him to leave London.
(b) For him to live with his mother and sister.
(c) For him to return to Dothesboys Hall.
(d) For him to tutor the Kenwigs' children.
12. At the close of the first performance of Nicholas' new play, who visits him?
(c) Mr. Lillyvick.
13. Into what does this final tableau for Romeo and Juliet transform?
(a) A final tableau for this play.
(b) A first tableau for this play.
(c) A final tableau for A Christmas Carol.
(d) A first tableau for A Christmas Carol.
14. What is odd about this place?
(a) Everyone looks angry.
(b) It looks abandoned.
(c) It is very quiet.
(d) Here it does not really have a name at all.
15. As she finishes writing her letter, who appears, looking for his son?
(a) Mr. Nickleby.
(b) A man named Brooker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nicholas go to visit?
2. Friar Lawrence arrives with what news?
3. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
4. When Squeers, Mrs. Squeers and Smike are gone, what does Nicholas do?
5. In addition to writing the new play, what is Nicholas to do?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)