|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Nickleby take her two children with her to see Ralph?
(a) She wants to visit her husband's brother.
(b) Her husband is spending time with his brother.
(c) Her husband has died and left her penniless.
(d) Ralph has invited them to visit.
2. How is Kate welcomed by the women in the workroom?
(c) With silence.
3. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
(a) Get him into trouble with Mr. Squeers.
(b) Stage a little scene which ends with Fanny fainting into Nicholas' arms.
(c) Ignore him.
(d) Giggle and flirt with him.
4. As soon as the members of the company discover that Nicholas is a playwright, what do they do?
(a) Begin to ignore him.
(b) Ask about auditions for his plays.
(c) Start asking him which parts they will be play in the new play.
(d) Want his autograph.
5. Into what actress does Nicholas run?
(a) Miss Pennyworker.
(b) Miss Petticoater.
(c) Miss Prowter.
(d) Miss Petowker.
6. Noggs also appears and secretly gives Nicholas what?
(a) A book.
(b) A box.
(c) A drawing.
(d) A letter.
7. What does Mr. Lillyvick do when Mr. Kenwigs desperately pleads with him to stay?
(a) He cannot make up his mind.
(b) He leaves.
(c) He asks for a favor of Mr. Kenwigs.
(d) He decides to stay.
8. Describe Fanny and Tilda.
(a) Tough, angry women.
(b) Kind, and beautiful ladies.
(c) Silly, spoiled snobs.
(d) Shy, timid young girls.
9. Why is this man worried about how the Kenwigs will react to the news of his love interest?
(a) The inheritance they were expecting will now be Miss Petowker's.
(b) They will not be happy to know he loves their daughter.
(c) He has no money to give to Miss Petowker.
(d) They will forbid his marriage.
10. What does Squeers make this person do?
(a) Scrub the floors.
(b) Do one hundred push-ups.
(c) Take Nicholas to his room.
(d) Take the baggage in.
11. This is the first of several scenes detailing what?
(a) Nicholas' enjoyment of his time at Dotheboys Hall.
(b) Kate's unpleasant life.
(c) The unpleasant life at Dotheboys Hall.
(d) Mrs. Nickleby's new career.
12. As they prepare to move on, they encounter who?
(b) Vincent Crummles.
(d) Mr. Lillyvick.
13. To what does Ralph invite Kate?
(a) Out to dinner.
(b) To be hostess at a party he is giving the next night.
(c) To meet his family.
(d) To the theater.
14. With what bad news does Noggs interrupt Nicholas?
(a) Ralph has left town.
(b) Fanny wants to marry him.
(c) Ralph has returned early, has seen the letter from Fanny, and has gone straight to Mrs. Nickleby's.
(d) Kate has lost her job.
15. In a roadside tavern, Nicholas and Smike learn with dismay that not only is it still twelve miles to Portsmouth, but what?
(a) There is no room for them to stay in Portsmouth.
(b) There are no carriages headed that way.
(c) They have no more money.
(d) The Landlord has neither food nor shelter he can give them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicholas arrives at the tavern where Squeers is depriving the boys in his charge of what?
2. Who sets off on a journey with Nicholas?
3. About what is this song?
4. What song does the Crummles Company sing?
5. What does Ralph do to the two people who have been dealing with the Mantalinis?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)