|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas realize he must do to save Kate and his mother?
(a) He must find them a new home.
(b) He has to get rid of Ralph.
(c) He has to leave.
(d) He must find a job quickly.
2. As Kate arrives what are the owners of the shop doing?
3. What does the owner of the shop promise Kate?
(a) A good salary.
(b) A long work day.
(c) An easy job.
(d) A place to sleep.
4. Miss Snevellicci and Nicholas do what for the company?
(a) Make costumes.
(b) Direct the plays.
(c) Canvas for financial support.
(d) Write the plays.
5. With what bad news does Noggs interrupt Nicholas?
(a) Kate has lost her job.
(b) Ralph has returned early, has seen the letter from Fanny, and has gone straight to Mrs. Nickleby's.
(c) Ralph has left town.
(d) Fanny wants to marry him.
6. What list does Mrs. Squeers goes through?
(a) Her shopping list.
(b) Nicholas' class list.
(c) The lengthy list of troublesome boys at the school.
(d) The list of chores to be done.
7. The Kenwigs ask Nicholas to stay. How does he respond?
(a) He does not want to stay.
(b) He is tired, dirty, and wants to rest.
(c) He cannot stay.
(d) He would be glad to stay.
8. What does Madame Mantalini also announce?
(a) She is quitting her job.
(b) She is having a child.
(c) She is separating from Mr. Mantalini.
(d) She wants Kate to continue to work for her.
9. Paris challenges Romeo, they fight, and what happens?
(a) Paris runs away.
(b) Paris is killed.
(c) Paris kills Romeo.
(d) Romeo runs away.
10. How does Kate's first fitting go?
(a) Not very well.
11. What does Noggs show Kate and Mrs. Nickleby?
(a) His home.
(b) A picture of Mr. Nickleby.
(c) Their new shop.
(d) Their depressing new home.
12. Into what actress does Nicholas run?
(a) Miss Petticoater.
(b) Miss Petowker.
(c) Miss Prowter.
(d) Miss Pennyworker.
13. As Mrs. Nickleby appears, Ralph announces that he has found a position for Kate working for whom?
(a) A carpenter.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A weaver.
(d) A milliner and dressmaker.
14. How does Pupker feel when he discovers that Nicholas is related to Ralph?
(a) He becomes angry.
(b) He is shocked.
(c) He sees him in a more positive light.
(d) He sends him away.
15. Who is Miss LaCreevy?
(a) A painter of miniature portraits.
(b) A crazy woman who wanders the streets.
(c) A school mistress.
(d) The Nicklebys' aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nicholas go to visit?
2. As Kate poses for Miss LaCreevy, what do they discuss?
3. What does Mrs. Kenwigs suggest that Miss Petowker do for everyone?
4. Who is the owner of Kate's new place of work?
5. As soon as the members of the company discover that Nicholas is a playwright, what do they do?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)