|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The party is resuming when suddenly what happens?
(a) A loud crash is heard.
(b) The entire party begins to laugh.
(c) A fight breaks out.
(d) Loud screams are heard.
2. Where does Nicholas say they are going?
(c) Dotheboys Hall.
3. By what is this man distracted?
(a) A letter from Fanny.
(b) A theater performance.
(c) His fear of the world.
(d) A delegation from his political district.
4. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
(a) He sits as far away from her as possible.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He tells her he cannot stand her.
(d) He partners for a card game with Tilda.
5. What do Mr. and Mrs. Kenwigs do when Noggs arrives?
(a) They introduce him to their family.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They embrace him.
(d) They glare at him.
6. What song does the Crummles Company sing?
(a) A silly song.
(b) A happy song.
(c) A boring song.
(d) A sad song.
7. Who stabbed Mercutio?
8. Melodramatic and overwrought, what does Mr. Mantalini do?
(a) He gets a pair of scissors and threatens to kill himself.
(b) He gets a pair of scissors and acts like he is going to kill his wife.
(c) He gets a pair of scissors and threatens these two.
(d) He pulls out a gun with which to shoot the two.
9. As Mrs. Nickleby appears, Ralph announces that he has found a position for Kate working for whom?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A milliner and dressmaker.
(c) A weaver.
(d) A carpenter.
10. What does Kate refuse to do?
(a) Back down.
(b) Listen to the men.
(c) Play Hawk's game.
(d) Go home.
11. Kate is alone when who arrives to repossess the Mantalinis' belongings?
(a) Hawk and Verisopht.
(b) Tilda and Fanny.
(c) Two rough-looking men called Scaley and Tix.
(d) Ralph and and large man.
12. Back at Dotheboys, what is Squeers doing to Smike?
(a) Whipping him.
(b) Teasing him.
(c) Calling for him.
(d) Torturing him.
13. At a tavern in the lower class end of London, what is Wackford Squeers, the headmaster of Dotheboys Hall, doing?
(a) Picking up students for his school.
(b) Shopping for school supplies.
(c) Teaching a spelling lesson.
(d) Abusing two boys in his charge.
14. What does Noggs show Kate and Mrs. Nickleby?
(a) Their new shop.
(b) His home.
(c) A picture of Mr. Nickleby.
(d) Their depressing new home.
15. What happened to the girl the Kenwigs had paid to watch the baby?
(a) She left the baby alone.
(b) She has run away.
(c) She burned the dinner.
(d) She had caught her hair on fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Mantalini also announce?
2. The Kenwigs ask Nicholas to stay. How does he respond?
3. Why is this man worried about how the Kenwigs will react to the news of his love interest?
4. What does Nicholas do when he crumples to the floor?
5. Describe Fanny and Tilda.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)