|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
(a) Giggle and flirt with him.
(b) Get him into trouble with Mr. Squeers.
(c) Stage a little scene which ends with Fanny fainting into Nicholas' arms.
(d) Ignore him.
2. What do Mr. and Mrs. Kenwigs do when Noggs arrives?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They introduce him to their family.
(c) They glare at him.
(d) They embrace him.
3. Who represents the wealthy industrial classes?
(a) Crowl, Noggs and Brooker.
(b) Kate, Noggs and Brooker.
(c) Ralph, Crowl and Noggs.
(d) Kate, Mrs. Nickleby and Squeers.
4. As soon as the members of the company discover that Nicholas is a playwright, what do they do?
(a) Begin to ignore him.
(b) Want his autograph.
(c) Ask about auditions for his plays.
(d) Start asking him which parts they will be play in the new play.
5. At the moment Kate left Ralph's, Ralph saw a resemblance to whom, in Kate's face?
(a) Her mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His dead younger brother, Kate's father.
(d) A kind woman.
6. The Kenwigs ask Nicholas to stay. How does he respond?
(a) He does not want to stay.
(b) He cannot stay.
(c) He is tired, dirty, and wants to rest.
(d) He would be glad to stay.
7. What does this person offer Nicholas?
(a) The opportunity to act and to adapt new plays for the company, promising them each a pound a week.
(b) A ride to Portmouth.
(c) A job in a tavern.
(d) A ride back to London.
8. What is revealed about Paris?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He has left Verona.
(c) He is no longer intersted in Juliet.
(d) He is not actually dead.
9. As she finishes writing her letter, who appears, looking for his son?
(b) A man named Brooker.
(d) Mr. Nickleby.
10. What does Squeers do when leading a spelling lesson?
(a) He teaches the boys to spell incorrectly.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He gives the students too many words.
(d) He purposely gives them words too difficult to spell.
11. Why does Bonney protest?
(a) The company does not want more of Ralph's money.
(b) The company does not want to be sold.
(c) The company will no longer be able to function.
(d) The company does not want him to join.
12. Noggs also appears and secretly gives Nicholas what?
(a) A book.
(b) A letter.
(c) A box.
(d) A drawing.
13. Nicholas returns despondently to Noggs' rooms. What does Noggs have for him?
(a) A letter.
(b) Good news.
(d) Bad news.
14. What is odd about this place?
(a) It is very quiet.
(b) Here it does not really have a name at all.
(c) It looks abandoned.
(d) Everyone looks angry.
15. How does Mr. Lillyvick react when Noggs leaves suddenly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does the Crummles Company sing?
2. At the Mantalinis' workshop, who arrives to try on wedding bonnets?
3. How is Kate welcomed by the women in the workroom?
4. As Kate poses for Miss LaCreevy, what do they discuss?
5. Who is Miss LaCreevy?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)