|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. These two go through the Mantalinis' things and reveal what?
(a) The Mantalinis are to be taken in lieu of cash payment for a debt.
(b) There is nothing of value.
(c) The Mantalinis are nice people, and they have changed their mind and do not want to take their things.
(d) They came to the wrong house by mistake.
2. About what is this song?
(a) The power of love.
(b) The glory of England, its industry, its wealth, and joy.
(c) The love of family.
(d) The importance of compassion.
3. This is the first of several scenes detailing what?
(a) The unpleasant life at Dotheboys Hall.
(b) Nicholas' enjoyment of his time at Dotheboys Hall.
(c) Mrs. Nickleby's new career.
(d) Kate's unpleasant life.
4. What does Nicholas do when he crumples to the floor?
(a) He sobs.
(b) He screams.
(c) He feels ill.
(d) He faints.
5. Noggs also appears and secretly gives Nicholas what?
(a) A letter.
(b) A book.
(c) A box.
(d) A drawing.
6. What does Squeers do when leading a spelling lesson?
(a) He purposely gives them words too difficult to spell.
(b) He gives the students too many words.
(c) He teaches the boys to spell incorrectly.
(d) He falls asleep.
7. The Crummles Company (with Miss Snevellecci as Juliet) enters, circles Kate, and performs what scene?
(a) The scene in which Romeo goes to the Apothecary.
(b) The scene in which Juilet and Romeo meet.
(c) The scene in which Juliet's father shouts angrily about her reluctance to marry whom she's told to marry.
(d) The scene in which the Montagues and Capulets find the bodies of Romeo and Juliet.
8. What does Mr. Mantalini sell Ralph?
(a) His stock of hats.
(b) His soul.
(c) A train ticket.
(d) The outstanding bills from the millinery shop.
9. What does Nicholas do when he discovers Smike alone?
(a) He sends him away.
(b) He gives him a proper spelling lesson.
(c) He teaches him a geography lesson.
(d) He helps him with his math homework.
10. Miss Snevellicci and Nicholas do what for the company?
(a) Make costumes.
(b) Direct the plays.
(c) Canvas for financial support.
(d) Write the plays.
11. Members of the company, speaking in turn, give what information to the audience?
(a) The location of the play.
(b) How to behave as an audience member.
(c) The family background of the Nickleby family.
(d) The family backgrounds of each character in the play.
12. With what bad news does Noggs interrupt Nicholas?
(a) Ralph has left town.
(b) Kate has lost her job.
(c) Fanny wants to marry him.
(d) Ralph has returned early, has seen the letter from Fanny, and has gone straight to Mrs. Nickleby's.
13. Crowl comes with what news?
(a) Two men, both covered in mud, are at the door and are asking for Noggs.
(b) London is burning.
(c) Nicholas is missing.
(d) Squeers has been attacked.
14. The Kenwigs ask Nicholas to stay. How does he respond?
(a) He would be glad to stay.
(b) He cannot stay.
(c) He is tired, dirty, and wants to rest.
(d) He does not want to stay.
15. What do Mr. and Mrs. Kenwigs do when Noggs arrives?
(a) They glare at him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They introduce him to their family.
(d) They embrace him.
Short Answer Questions
1. The party is resuming when suddenly what happens?
2. What, again, upsets Fanny soon after she happily embraces Tilda?
3. Who is the Infant Phenomenon?
4. Nicholas returns despondently to Noggs' rooms. What does Noggs have for him?
5. Why does this woman ask for Kate?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)