Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While out on a walk through the school's gardens, Nicholas meets Fanny and Tilda who do what?
(a) Stage a little scene which ends with Fanny fainting into Nicholas' arms.
(b) Ignore him.
(c) Giggle and flirt with him.
(d) Get him into trouble with Mr. Squeers.
2. How does Ralph react when Kate begins to cry out of gratitude and relief?
(a) He begins to care about her.
(b) He smiles.
(c) He tells her roughly to stop.
(d) He comforts her.
3. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He partners for a card game with Tilda.
(c) He sits as far away from her as possible.
(d) He tells her he cannot stand her.
4. What does Kate ask Ralph?
(a) Whether she is to live at home.
(b) If she could have her own place.
(c) Where she will be living.
(d) Why he is so cruel.
5. As he arrives at his office, what does Ralph's clerk give him?
(a) A bill for his laundry.
(b) His lunch.
(c) A letter informing him of his brother's death, that his brother's family has arrived in town, and that they would like to see him.
(d) A note from Bonney.
6. These two go through the Mantalinis' things and reveal what?
(a) The Mantalinis are to be taken in lieu of cash payment for a debt.
(b) They came to the wrong house by mistake.
(c) There is nothing of value.
(d) The Mantalinis are nice people, and they have changed their mind and do not want to take their things.
7. What has Noggs arranged for Nicholas?
(a) For him to tutor the Kenwigs' children.
(b) For him to return to Dothesboys Hall.
(c) For him to live with his mother and sister.
(d) For him to leave London.
8. What does Fanny write in a letter to Ralph?
(a) She exaggerates Nicholas' attack on Squeers.
(b) She tells him how much she loves Nicholas.
(c) She keeps the attack on Squeers a secret.
(d) She tells only a part of the Squeers attack.
9. As she finishes writing her letter, who appears, looking for his son?
(a) A man named Brooker.
(d) Mr. Nickleby.
10. Why is this man worried about how the Kenwigs will react to the news of his love interest?
(a) They will not be happy to know he loves their daughter.
(b) He has no money to give to Miss Petowker.
(c) The inheritance they were expecting will now be Miss Petowker's.
(d) They will forbid his marriage.
11. Who represents the wealthy industrial classes?
(a) Kate, Mrs. Nickleby and Squeers.
(b) Kate, Noggs and Brooker.
(c) Crowl, Noggs and Brooker.
(d) Ralph, Crowl and Noggs.
12. What does Squeers do when leading a spelling lesson?
(a) He purposely gives them words too difficult to spell.
(b) He gives the students too many words.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He teaches the boys to spell incorrectly.
13. Back in London, Newman Noggs arrives at Miss LaCreevy's to take Mrs. Nickleby and Kate where?
(b) Kate's new job.
(c) Their new home.
(d) See Nicholas.
14. What do the boys do when they see this scene?
(a) They run away.
(b) They stand in shocked silence.
(c) They gather around and cheer on Mr. Squeers.
(d) They gather around and cheer Nicholas on.
15. What, again, upsets Fanny soon after she happily embraces Tilda?
(a) Nicholas leaves.
(b) Fanny sees Nicholas talking to another girl.
(c) Tilda starts talking about Nicholas.
(d) Tilda tells her she does not like Nicholas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph do to the two people who have been dealing with the Mantalinis?
2. The Crummles Company (with Miss Snevellecci as Juliet) enters, circles Kate, and performs what scene?
3. Into what does this final tableau for Romeo and Juliet transform?
4. To what does Ralph invite Kate?
5. What does Ralph promise Sir Mulberry Hawk?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)