|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas realize he must do to save Kate and his mother?
(a) He has to get rid of Ralph.
(b) He must find a job quickly.
(c) He must find them a new home.
(d) He has to leave.
2. What does Smike tell Nicholas that he cannot remember?
(a) When he first went to Dotheboys Hall.
(b) His life before Nicholas entered into it.
(c) Two days together when he has not been afraid.
(d) His parents.
3. By what is this man distracted?
(a) A delegation from his political district.
(b) A letter from Fanny.
(c) A theater performance.
(d) His fear of the world.
4. This is the first of several scenes detailing what?
(a) Nicholas' enjoyment of his time at Dotheboys Hall.
(b) Mrs. Nickleby's new career.
(c) Kate's unpleasant life.
(d) The unpleasant life at Dotheboys Hall.
5. Who is the older Nickleby son?
6. Melodramatic and overwrought, what does Mr. Mantalini do?
(a) He gets a pair of scissors and threatens to kill himself.
(b) He pulls out a gun with which to shoot the two.
(c) He gets a pair of scissors and acts like he is going to kill his wife.
(d) He gets a pair of scissors and threatens these two.
7. Why does Bonney protest?
(a) The company does not want more of Ralph's money.
(b) The company does not want to be sold.
(c) The company will no longer be able to function.
(d) The company does not want him to join.
8. What does Ralph do to the two people who have been dealing with the Mantalinis?
(a) He throws them out.
(b) He ridicules them.
(c) He sends them home to their husbands.
(d) He gives them their wages and congratulates them on a job well done.
9. Who is the owner of Kate's new place of work?
(a) Madame Matthews.
(b) Madame Maurissaut.
(c) Madame Morris.
(d) Madame Mantalini.
10. What do Mr. and Mrs. Kenwigs do when Noggs arrives?
(a) They embrace him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They glare at him.
(d) They introduce him to their family.
11. What does Kate refuse to do?
(a) Go home.
(b) Listen to the men.
(c) Back down.
(d) Play Hawk's game.
12. To what does Ralph invite Kate?
(a) To the theater.
(b) To meet his family.
(c) To be hostess at a party he is giving the next night.
(d) Out to dinner.
13. When Madame Mantalini and Miss Knag arrive, what announcement is made?
(a) Miss Knag has purchased the company.
(b) Kate will be purchasing the shop.
(c) Madame Mantalini is buying back her shop.
(d) Miss Knag is quitting.
14. How does Nicholas anger Fanny?
(a) He partners for a card game with Tilda.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He tells her he cannot stand her.
(d) He sits as far away from her as possible.
15. What is odd about this place?
(a) It looks abandoned.
(b) Everyone looks angry.
(c) Here it does not really have a name at all.
(d) It is very quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what does this final tableau for Romeo and Juliet transform?
2. Back in London, Newman Noggs arrives at Miss LaCreevy's to take Mrs. Nickleby and Kate where?
3. What does Squeers do when leading a spelling lesson?
4. What does John Bowdie do when Nicholas encounters him in the countryside near Dotheboys?
5. Of what does Miss Knag accuse Kate?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)