|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ralph tell Bonney that he is doing, regarding the company?
(a) He is selling the company.
(b) He is pulling his investment out at a considerable profit.
(c) He is investing more money in the company.
(d) He is joining the company.
2. Ignoring Kate's discomfort, Hawk and Verisopht joke about what?
(a) Alcohol and other vile habits.
(b) Her presence almost makes the extra interest Ralph is charging them worthwhile.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Their taste in women.
3. How does Pupker feel when he discovers that Nicholas is related to Ralph?
(a) He sees him in a more positive light.
(b) He sends him away.
(c) He becomes angry.
(d) He is shocked.
4. When Pupker gives Nicholas a list of things to do, how does Nicholas react?
(a) He asks what Pupker would like done first.
(b) He asks Pupker what he will be doing while he is doing all the work.
(c) He walks out.
(d) He returns the list back to Pupker, telling him he is not interested.
5. What does Mrs. Kenwigs suggest that Miss Petowker do for everyone?
(a) Make dinner.
(b) Pass out dessert.
6. As Nicholas leaves, how does Lillyvick describe him?
(a) As a imbecile.
(b) As a poor man.
(c) As a maniac.
(d) As aristocratic.
7. When Madame Mantalini and Miss Knag arrive, what announcement is made?
(a) Kate will be purchasing the shop.
(b) Miss Knag is quitting.
(c) Madame Mantalini is buying back her shop.
(d) Miss Knag has purchased the company.
8. What is odd about this place?
(a) It looks abandoned.
(b) Here it does not really have a name at all.
(c) Everyone looks angry.
(d) It is very quiet.
9. What has Noggs arranged for Nicholas?
(a) For him to return to Dothesboys Hall.
(b) For him to live with his mother and sister.
(c) For him to tutor the Kenwigs' children.
(d) For him to leave London.
10. Kate is alone when who arrives to repossess the Mantalinis' belongings?
(a) Two rough-looking men called Scaley and Tix.
(b) Tilda and Fanny.
(c) Ralph and and large man.
(d) Hawk and Verisopht.
11. How is Kate welcomed by the women in the workroom?
(c) With silence.
12. With what bad news does Noggs interrupt Nicholas?
(a) Fanny wants to marry him.
(b) Kate has lost her job.
(c) Ralph has returned early, has seen the letter from Fanny, and has gone straight to Mrs. Nickleby's.
(d) Ralph has left town.
13. What does Fanny do when a servant girl tries to comfort her?
(a) She thanks the girl for comforting her.
(b) She enjoys the comfort.
(c) She becomes even more upset.
(d) She defends Tilda.
14. What do Mrs. Nickleby and Kate help Nicholas do, before he leaves for Dothesboys Hall?
(a) Write a letter to his uncle.
(b) Sell the home.
(c) Buy supplies for the trip.
15. Nicholas returns despondently to Noggs' rooms. What does Noggs have for him?
(a) A letter.
(b) Bad news.
(d) Good news.
Short Answer Questions
1. This is the first of several scenes detailing what?
2. In a roadside tavern, Nicholas and Smike learn with dismay that not only is it still twelve miles to Portsmouth, but what?
3. What other news does Friar Lawrence bring?
4. What list does Mrs. Squeers goes through?
5. Back at Dotheboys, what is Squeers doing to Smike?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)