|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, what does Elisa do that Magda insists on accompanying her for?
2. In Chapter 22, what does the word ojala mean?
3. In Chapter 20, who does Castro name as the provisional president?
4. In Chapter 23, where do Beatriz and Elisa go to find out about their father?
5. In Chapter 19, what landmark does Magda live near?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 24, what happens to Luis and Marisol as they walk together in Vedado?
2. In Chapter 22, what conclusion does Marisol come to about her grandmother's and grandfather's relationship and the truth of Marisol's father being Pablo?
3. In Chapter 12, who does Elisa ask to help Pablo and why?
4. In Chapter 22, what does Luis tell Elisa about how she should feel about her biological grandfather being Pablo?
5. In Chapter 20, who comes to Elisa's house to share news and what news does the person share?
6. In Chapter 23, what happens to Elisa's family that has everyone very upset?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Alejandro seek Elisa out to tell her about Pablo?
8. In Chapter 15, what does Marisol think about Luis as a professor?
9. In Chapter 15, how and where does Marisol's relationship with Luis progress into romantic territory?
10. In Chapter 12, what does Elisa realize she must do when she goes to talk with her father about Pablo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, why does Ana Rodriguez tell Marisol not to judge her grandmother too harshly when she gives Marisol her grandmother's box of possessions that were buried in Elisa's backyard? What does Marisol find in the box, and how does she react to it? Write an essay explaining your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Perez family handle Alejandro's subversive activities aimed to undermine the Batista regime, and why are these activities such a problem for the Perezes? Write an essay explaining your answers, citing specific references to the text to help support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the novel, why does Marisol feel a sense of shame related to her wealth when she first arrives in Cuba, especially when she meets Caridad and Cristina? Write an essay explaining your answers.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)