|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what does Luis say decided the Battle of Santa Clara?
(a) The landscape.
(b) The amount of ammunition each side had.
(c) The spirit of the men.
(d) The generals.
2. In Chapter 13, what does Luis tell Marisol about his personal life that shocks her?
(a) He has a child.
(b) He is no longer married.
(c) His father is not really dead.
(d) His grandmother is not really his grandmother.
3. In Chapter 15, what question is Marisol plagued by during her time in Havana?
(a) Whether her great-grandfather had broken the law to make his fortune.
(b) Whether her grandmother really did like Fidel Castro or not.
(c) What might have happened to her and her family if they had never left Cuba.
(d) Whether she could be a journalist while living here.
4. In Chapter 26, what does Pablo tell Marisol about his interactions with Elisa's father?
(a) Pablo arranged for Elisa's father to get and keep his own money.
(b) Pablo arranged for Elisa's father's release from jail.
(c) Pablo arranged for Elisa's father's safe passage to Miami.
(d) Pablo had tried to have Elisa's father arrested again after his release.
5. In Chapter 15, what does Luis tell Marisol about his history of bringing women home?
(a) He does it only infrequently.
(b) He does it often.
(c) He does not do it because he lives with his mother and grandmother.
(d) He only ever brought his ex-wife home.
6. In Chapter 16, where does Pablo tell Elisa that Che is marching towards?
(b) Santa Clara.
7. In Chapter 16, what does Pablo give Elisa that was his grandmother's?
(a) A vintage pin.
(b) A vintage scarf.
(c) A pair of earrings.
(d) An engagement ring.
8. In Chapter 26, why does Pablo tell Marisol he has been keeping tabs on her in Havana?
(a) He wants to make sure Luis is not going to be trouble for her.
(b) He wants to make sure she knows he loves her.
(c) He wants to leave Cuba with her.
(d) He failed Elisa once and does not want to fail Marisol too.
9. In Chapter 20, who is the first person Elisa tells she is pregnant?
(c) Her mother.
10. In Chapter 12, what promise does Elisa's father ask her to make to him?
(a) She will never see Pablo again.
(b) She will find her brother Alejandro and bring him home.
(c) She will tell him exactly what Beatriz is up to.
(d) She will leave Cuba immediately with Pablo.
11. What was one reason Luis tells Marisol that he and Cristina broke up?
(a) He wanted her to quit her job at the restaurant and she did not.
(b) She wanted children and he did not.
(c) She wanted him to quit his job at the university and he did not.
(d) She wanted to move to America and he did not.
12. In Chapter 17, what does Luis tell Marisol about his feelings about the U.S. embargo on Cuba?
(a) It is completely effective and warranted.
(b) It hurts Cristina the most because she is the businessperson in the family.
(c) It is ridiculous and hurts only the Cuban people.
(d) It is necessary.
13. In Chapter 20, what question does Maria ask that upsets her mother?
(a) Whether people will come to their house for them, and for their money.
(b) Whether they will be able to get out of the country safely.
(c) Whether they will be able to keep their businesses.
(d) Whether they will lose all their designer gowns.
14. In Chapter 19, what does Magda tell Marisol about her impressions of Pablo?
(a) He was brilliant, but cold.
(b) He seemed to be using Elisa to get closer to the Perez family.
(c) He was trouble from the beginning.
(d) He was nice, and she thought he was good for Elisa.
15. In Chapter 26, what does Pablo realize when he meets Elisa's father in Florida?
(a) He still loves Elisa and will try to bring her back to Cuba at all costs.
(b) He wants to raise his son with Elisa.
(c) He needs Elisa to know he is alive no matter what.
(d) Elisa has already married and does not really belong with him any longer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, who does Alejandro suggest Elisa ask for help with Pablo?
2. In Chapter 25, where is the Perez's dining table from?
3. In Chapter 22, what does the word ojala mean?
4. In Chapter 23, where do Beatriz and Elisa go to find out about their father?
5. Who is the buffer between the Perez family and the other servants after the election in Chapter 12?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)