|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maruja and Beatriz see who at their second hiding place?
2. What does the Extraditables' lawyer want for his clients in terms of treatment?
3. What does Marina see the in the laundry area during her nightly walks with Monk?
4. What does Maruja, Marina and Beatriz do to keep hope alive?
5. Who handles the negotiations for Escobar?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Extraditables kill Marina and leave her, the public does not even know for a week. Eventually the Extraditables confirm her murder. Why do the Extraditables confirm Marina's killing when public uncertainty comes up?
2. Marina is kidnapped three months prior to Maruja and Beatriz. Describe what Marina is going through by the time the other two women show up.
3. The Priscos brothers are murdered. Who are they and how are they related to the kidnappings?
4. The President is called on for help during these abductions. President Gaviria does not feel he can give what the families and kidnappers are asking for. What is being asked of President Gaviria, and why is he resistant to give in to these demands?
5. Why do the kidnappers choose hostages who are media and government related?
6. Escobar promises to release Maruja and Pacho. There are various sources, but Villamizar is ecstatic. One reporter notes with surprise that Alberto can be so trusting. What makes this promise from Escobar believable despite previous promises?
7. Despite a criminal past, how does Escobar show he cares about Father Herreros' respect and opinion.
8. What is the National Narcotics Statute, and how is it related to the abductions?
9. The hostages are separated into several different groups. Compare and contrast the guards' watch over the kidnapped.
10. Who are the Ochoa brothers and describe their importance to the hostages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Extraditables decide to kill the hostages, they list the execution order as Marina, Richard, Beatriz, Maruja, Diana, then Pacho. Why this order? Why have an order at all? How does this order benefit the Extraditables?
Essay Topic 2
The guards are there to keep the hostages from escaping. However, sometimes the guards show sympathy such as the day they find out about Maruja's birthday or the guard who is moved by Pacho's letter to his wife. Consider these guards and why they are there. What position are the guards in? Why do they do this job when it seems to conflict with their personal feelings?
Essay Topic 3
One of the biggest issues of compromising with narcoterrorists when they take hostages is the long term effect. President Gaviria works hard to fight narcoterrorism without having to negotiate with hostage abductors. Nonetheless, he is pressured to pass Decree 303. Escobar turns himself in, but there are many other drug cartels in Colombia. Research narcoterrorism in Colombia from the 1980s to late 1990s. Consider President Gaviria's term and write about whether he succeeds in bringing down narcoterrorism. If he is successful, how does he do it? If he is not, who is?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)