|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of October, what does Diana learn is distressing Azucena?
2. When Diana's crew learns of Maruja's abduction, how do they feel?
3. To what game does Diana compare the negotiations?
4. How do the majordomo and his wife treat Maruja's on her birthday?
5. From what does Marina suffer by the time Maruja and Beatriz meet her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Months have passed for the hostages, and it is already a new year for Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz. What consequences are seen from a long hostage stay?
2. The President is called on for help during these abductions. President Gaviria does not feel he can give what the families and kidnappers are asking for. What is being asked of President Gaviria, and why is he resistant to give in to these demands?
3. When Beatriz is first imprisoned, the radio announces she is a physical therapist, but the guards think she is a psychotherapist. They refuse to let her write for fear that she is composing a way to make them all go mad. What does this say about the guards?
4. Maruja's daughter, Alexandra, commissions a program that is used to help communicate with her mother. What does this say about the family's connections and class?
5. More is revealed about Alberto Villamizar as the book progresses. Write about Alberto's honor and how he follows his word.
6. Describe Marina Montoya's situation as it is introduced in Chapter One.
7. Diana compares the negotiations of their lives to a game of chess. How do the Extraditables and the government play a form of chess involving the hostages?
8. What is Decree 303, and what spurs its placement?
9. Maruja is released first to be on time before the 7:30 evening news. Pacho's release is scheduled in time for the 9:00 pm news. Why are their releases scheduled in time with the news?
10. The hostages are separated into several different groups. Compare and contrast the guards' watch over the kidnapped.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Pablo died in 1993, how does his infamy continue on with the family. Research Pablo Escobar's family and what state they are currently in. How does Colombia view Escobar's family? How do other countries view Escobar and his family?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three hostages and compare and contrast their reactions to the abductions.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the negotiations between Guido Parra and the hostages' families. What is Parra's motivation? How does he overstep his boundaries?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)