|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what illness does Maruja suffer a month after her abduction?
2. Who does Villamizar call for help?
3. Who is allowed to visit Marina and Beatriz in January?
4. How do the kidnappers learn Beatriz's identity?
5. What does the guard refer to Diana as being?
Short Essay Questions
1. The decrees are supposed to be the main topic of the negotiations between Escobar and the government. When Decree 303 comes out complying with Escobar's capitulation policy extension, he only releases one hostage and keeps two. Why does Escobar keep the hostages despite his "acceptance" of the latest decree?
2. Maruja is home, and Escobar is in prison. At the end of it all, how does Alberto Villamizar's life change due to the events surrounding his wife's abduction?
3. After nearly six months as a hostage, Maruja finally sees her husband. Describe the meeting between Alberto Villamizar and Maruja.
4. Months have passed for the hostages, and it is already a new year for Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz. What consequences are seen from a long hostage stay?
5. When the Extraditables kill Marina and leave her, the public does not even know for a week. Eventually the Extraditables confirm her murder. Why do the Extraditables confirm Marina's killing when public uncertainty comes up?
6. How does Nydia feel about the rescue attempt before and after it occurs?
7. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
8. In detail, describe how Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz take in the fact that they remain hostages into the New Year.
9. Escobar threatens to dynamite Cartagena but decides to cancel it. How is this catastrophe avoided?
10. Describe Maruja's and Beatriz's initial reaction to their kidnapping.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Negotiations between the Extraditables and the hostages' families are met with hope and failure. Explain how the passage of time affects both sides' ability to negotiate. Do they maintain progress? Is there a lull that disqualifies the negotiating abilities of those involved? Is there an effect on both sides' hopes and demands?
Essay Topic 2
When the Extraditables decide to kill the hostages, they list the execution order as Marina, Richard, Beatriz, Maruja, Diana, then Pacho. Why this order? Why have an order at all? How does this order benefit the Extraditables?
Essay Topic 3
Father Herreros speaks with Escobar, and even though he knows his history as much as the rest of the public, the Father says about Escobar, "Deep down all men are good, although some circumstances can make them evil." Write an essay on whether you agree or disagree and why.
This section contains 2,263 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)