|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Villamizar find Hernando Santos and former president Turbay when he visits them for the first time after Maruja's kidnapping?
2. The kidnappings are bargains to negotiate what?
3. How do the kidnappers abduct the first set of people?
4. How do the guards discover that it is Maruja's birthday?
5. Who is the first to know that Diana and Santos' kidnappings are the works of Escobar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
2. The large group of six hostages is the media group from Crìpton. At first, they are separated into groups of three, then two. What is the purpose of the separation if they remain in the same area?
3. Why do the kidnappers abduct family members rather than the actual politicians or other influential people?
4. Maruja is home, and Escobar is in prison. At the end of it all, how does Alberto Villamizar's life change due to the events surrounding his wife's abduction?
5. Describe Marina Montoya's situation as it is introduced in Chapter One.
6. During Maruja's and Beatriz' imprisonment, there is a time when the sub machine guns are available to the women. However, they both decide without a word that they will not use it to escape. Why would the women decide not to try and escape despite this opportunity?
7. Describe Maruja's and Beatriz's initial reaction to their kidnapping.
8. How does Nydia feel about the rescue attempt before and after it occurs?
9. Describe Pacho as he tries to escape and what he feels when he fails.
10. Describe the attempt to rescue Diana Turbay and its consequences.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Diana Turbay's character as seen through her past work and time spent in captivity. What words best describe her? What is she like as a person? A journalist?
Essay Topic 2
Research psychological effects on hostages and how it inhibits them from escaping when the opportunity arises. Maruja and Beatriz have an opportunity but decide not to risk it. Pacho has a chance but realizes it a little too late. How do months of imprisonment convince hostages that it is easier to stay put? How does treatment from the guards affect their decision that it is too risky to escape?
Essay Topic 3
The guards are there to keep the hostages from escaping. However, sometimes the guards show sympathy such as the day they find out about Maruja's birthday or the guard who is moved by Pacho's letter to his wife. Consider these guards and why they are there. What position are the guards in? Why do they do this job when it seems to conflict with their personal feelings?
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)