|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of the negotiations between the Notables and Escobar's negotiator for Santos and Turbay?
2. Who begins a personal campaign to contact Escobar?
3. What is most surprising about Santos' kidnapping?
4. What is Juan Vitto prescribed when a doctor visits?
5. What major term is Decree 3030 missing that angers Escobar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nydia feel about the rescue attempt before and after it occurs?
2. Diana compares the negotiations of their lives to a game of chess. How do the Extraditables and the government play a form of chess involving the hostages?
3. Guido Parra is no longer Escobar's negotiating lawyer and has dropped out of the picture. What happens to Guido Parra and why?
4. When Pacho learns he is about to be released, he looks over all his notes and tears up all but three of them. He also saves the letters he wrote to his family. Why does he tear all his works up?
5. Explain Decree 3030 and why Escobar is angry about it.
6. Alberto Villamizar is Maruja's husband. What is his reaction to the kidnapping?
7. Maruja and Beatriz are the last of the ten people taken hostage. What spurs the decision to abduct these last two when the kidnappers already have eight hostages?
8. The abductions are very well planned. Choose two abductions and describe in detail how the kidnappings occurred successfully.
9. Hernando Santos is seventy-eight years old and has had five bypass surgeries when Francisco is abducted. How does he react and what does this say about his character?
10. Pacho has ideas of escaping when he feels there is no other alternative. How is this option possible? What makes Pacho believe he can escape all the guards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Extraditables. Who are they? Who is their leader? What are they known for? Why are they called the Extraditables? How do they have so much power?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Diana Turbay's character as seen through her past work and time spent in captivity. What words best describe her? What is she like as a person? A journalist?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing Nydia's story. What is her fight like from the day Diana is captured to the day she learns Diana is in the hospital? Is her fight over when Diana dies?
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)