|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the list below, which is one example of the relaxed freedom given to Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz?
2. What major drug trafficker(s) accept Decree 3030?
3. What do the guards mistake Beatriz's profession to be?
4. Who handles the negotiations for Escobar?
5. Why is Beatriz a target?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hernando Santos is seventy-eight years old and has had five bypass surgeries when Francisco is abducted. How does he react and what does this say about his character?
2. Describe Maruja's and Beatriz's initial reaction to their kidnapping.
3. Maruja is home, and Escobar is in prison. At the end of it all, how does Alberto Villamizar's life change due to the events surrounding his wife's abduction?
4. Pacho has ideas of escaping when he feels there is no other alternative. How is this option possible? What makes Pacho believe he can escape all the guards?
5. The abductions are very well planned. Choose two abductions and describe in detail how the kidnappings occurred successfully.
6. Maruja is rejuvenated once more while imprisoned. What helps Maruja begin to look after herself again?
7. When Beatriz is first imprisoned, the radio announces she is a physical therapist, but the guards think she is a psychotherapist. They refuse to let her write for fear that she is composing a way to make them all go mad. What does this say about the guards?
8. Maruja and Beatriz are the last of the ten people taken hostage. What spurs the decision to abduct these last two when the kidnappers already have eight hostages?
9. Months have passed for the hostages, and it is already a new year for Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz. What consequences are seen from a long hostage stay?
10. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the ten hostages are released before others. Write about what it is like for those that are released knowing others remain and what it is like for those that remain knowing others are released before them.
Essay Topic 2
When the Extraditables decide to kill the hostages, they list the execution order as Marina, Richard, Beatriz, Maruja, Diana, then Pacho. Why this order? Why have an order at all? How does this order benefit the Extraditables?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Diana Turbay's character as seen through her past work and time spent in captivity. What words best describe her? What is she like as a person? A journalist?
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)