|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the guards discover that it is Maruja's birthday?
2. What does Villamizar think of Guido Parra?
3. From what illness does Maruja suffer a month after her abduction?
4. Where is the first hiding place located?
5. Why is Germán Montoya an important man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pacho as he tries to escape and what he feels when he fails.
2. Beatriz is released after many months. Describe her homecoming and her adjustments to her old life.
3. There are decrees passed by the Constituent Assembly that deal with drug trafficking. However, when the terms are not agreeable, no one heeds their messages and laws. How do the citizens go about rejecting a decree? What gives them that ability?
4. Marina is kidnapped three months prior to Maruja and Beatriz. Describe what Marina is going through by the time the other two women show up.
5. The Priscos brothers are murdered. Who are they and how are they related to the kidnappings?
6. Although the hostages are unable to leave their rooms other than to go to the bathroom, they are able to know a little about what is going on outside through radio and television. Explain how communication from the outside affects the hostages' mentality.
7. Dr. Guerrero is Beatriz's husband. What is his initial reaction to the abductions and the consequences of his reaction?
8. The guards who watch over Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz are excessively strict, but in about a month, they are able to relax a little on the rules. Why do the guards start off by being strict?
9. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
10. Alberto Villamizar is Maruja's husband. What is his reaction to the kidnapping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Extraditables decide to kill the hostages, they list the execution order as Marina, Richard, Beatriz, Maruja, Diana, then Pacho. Why this order? Why have an order at all? How does this order benefit the Extraditables?
Essay Topic 2
The guards are there to keep the hostages from escaping. However, sometimes the guards show sympathy such as the day they find out about Maruja's birthday or the guard who is moved by Pacho's letter to his wife. Consider these guards and why they are there. What position are the guards in? Why do they do this job when it seems to conflict with their personal feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Ten hostages are taken by the Extraditables. Some are imprisoned for over 6 months while others are released earlier. Each of their situations is different, but some comparisons are still there. Describe the consequences of imprisonment on a hostage physically and psychologically. Consider the different hostages and how they are treated.
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)