|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Marina suffer by the time Maruja and Beatriz meet her?
2. How does Marina spend her New Year's Eve?
3. What reality hits Luis Guillermo of Pablo Escobar's power?
4. How does Nydia view President Gaviria?
5. If the drug traffickers turn themselves in, what law gives drug traffickers immunity from the punishment that most of them fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Escobar promises to release Maruja and Pacho. There are various sources, but Villamizar is ecstatic. One reporter notes with surprise that Alberto can be so trusting. What makes this promise from Escobar believable despite previous promises?
2. Describe Marina Montoya's situation as it is introduced in Chapter One.
3. Who are the Ochoa brothers and describe their importance to the hostages?
4. Diana compares the negotiations of their lives to a game of chess. How do the Extraditables and the government play a form of chess involving the hostages?
5. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
6. Diana Turbay is one of the main hostages from the media group of six. Describe her background that shows her history and character.
7. When Pacho learns he is about to be released, he looks over all his notes and tears up all but three of them. He also saves the letters he wrote to his family. Why does he tear all his works up?
8. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
9. What is Decree 303, and what spurs its placement?
10. There are various families working on getting their relatives back. Some work together, others do not. Describe why some families have issues working together to find their families?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the ten hostages are released before others. Write about what it is like for those that are released knowing others remain and what it is like for those that remain knowing others are released before them.
Essay Topic 2
Decree 303 is passed days after Diana's death. The Extraditables get their extension on the capitulation policy. Where does the government stand at this point in time? Who has more control of the situation? Who has given up more at this stage? Who is winning the war between the Extraditables and the government?
Essay Topic 3
MedellÃn is known for its slums and high crime rates back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Research crime rates in MedellÃn and your own local area. Compare and contrast the crime rates and how it affects the people who inhabit the areas.
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)