|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
2. How do the Prisco brothers play a role in the gang life?
3. Who is the only one to not hide the pessimism of the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
4. What does everyone call the man who seems to lead the kidnapping?
5. From the list below, which is one example of the relaxed freedom given to Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maruja and Pacho, the last of the hostages, are released. Describe the public's reaction to their release.
2. Hernando Santos is seventy-eight years old and has had five bypass surgeries when Francisco is abducted. How does he react and what does this say about his character?
3. Describe what life is like for Escobar after he surrenders.
4. The abductions are very well planned. Choose two abductions and describe in detail how the kidnappings occurred successfully.
5. Alberto Villamizar begins to have communiqués with Escobar when Parra is no longer in the picture as mediator. How do these communiqués begin and end? What results come from them?
6. Beatriz is released after many months. Describe her homecoming and her adjustments to her old life.
7. There are decrees passed by the Constituent Assembly that deal with drug trafficking. However, when the terms are not agreeable, no one heeds their messages and laws. How do the citizens go about rejecting a decree? What gives them that ability?
8. Sometime after Beatriz is released, Escobar notes that he needs Maruja more than ever. Why does Escobar rely on Maruja as a hostage more than other hostages?
9. Describe the attempt to rescue Diana Turbay and its consequences.
10. There are various families working on getting their relatives back. Some work together, others do not. Describe why some families have issues working together to find their families?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the biggest issues of compromising with narcoterrorists when they take hostages is the long term effect. President Gaviria works hard to fight narcoterrorism without having to negotiate with hostage abductors. Nonetheless, he is pressured to pass Decree 303. Escobar turns himself in, but there are many other drug cartels in Colombia. Research narcoterrorism in Colombia from the 1980s to late 1990s. Consider President Gaviria's term and write about whether he succeeds in bringing down narcoterrorism. If he is successful, how does he do it? If he is not, who is?
Essay Topic 2
Decree 303 is passed days after Diana's death. The Extraditables get their extension on the capitulation policy. Where does the government stand at this point in time? Who has more control of the situation? Who has given up more at this stage? Who is winning the war between the Extraditables and the government?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Diana Turbay's character as seen through her past work and time spent in captivity. What words best describe her? What is she like as a person? A journalist?
This section contains 1,724 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)