|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diana begin to do when she learns her kidnapping is not an isolated event?
2. What does Marina see the in the laundry area during her nightly walks with Monk?
3. How does Nydia view President Gaviria?
4. From what illness does Maruja suffer a month after her abduction?
5. Which hostage is no longer worth a bargain?
Short Essay Questions
1. The decrees are supposed to be the main topic of the negotiations between Escobar and the government. When Decree 303 comes out complying with Escobar's capitulation policy extension, he only releases one hostage and keeps two. Why does Escobar keep the hostages despite his "acceptance" of the latest decree?
2. When Beatriz is first imprisoned, the radio announces she is a physical therapist, but the guards think she is a psychotherapist. They refuse to let her write for fear that she is composing a way to make them all go mad. What does this say about the guards?
3. There are decrees passed by the Constituent Assembly that deal with drug trafficking. However, when the terms are not agreeable, no one heeds their messages and laws. How do the citizens go about rejecting a decree? What gives them that ability?
4. When Pacho learns he is about to be released, he looks over all his notes and tears up all but three of them. He also saves the letters he wrote to his family. Why does he tear all his works up?
5. When Beatriz is released, Maruja is now the only prisoner. Describe Maruja's state after Beatriz is gone?
6. Months have passed for the hostages, and it is already a new year for Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz. What consequences are seen from a long hostage stay?
7. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
8. The abductions are very well planned. Choose two abductions and describe in detail how the kidnappings occurred successfully.
9. Despite a criminal past, how does Escobar show he cares about Father Herreros' respect and opinion.
10. Beatriz is released after many months. Describe her homecoming and her adjustments to her old life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Decree 303 is passed days after Diana's death. The Extraditables get their extension on the capitulation policy. Where does the government stand at this point in time? Who has more control of the situation? Who has given up more at this stage? Who is winning the war between the Extraditables and the government?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing Nydia's story. What is her fight like from the day Diana is captured to the day she learns Diana is in the hospital? Is her fight over when Diana dies?
Essay Topic 3
When the Extraditables decide to kill the hostages, they list the execution order as Marina, Richard, Beatriz, Maruja, Diana, then Pacho. Why this order? Why have an order at all? How does this order benefit the Extraditables?
This section contains 1,529 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)