|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nydia view President Gaviria?
2. How is Diana distracted after her separation from Azucena?
3. What is most surprising about Santos' kidnapping?
4. Where is Marina's body buried after it is found and autopsied?
5. What advice does the German journalist give Nydia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
2. Describe what life is like for Escobar after he surrenders.
3. The hostages are separated into several different groups. Compare and contrast the guards' watch over the kidnapped.
4. The President is called on for help during these abductions. President Gaviria does not feel he can give what the families and kidnappers are asking for. What is being asked of President Gaviria, and why is he resistant to give in to these demands?
5. When the hostage situation seems at a standstill and all avenues at a dead end, Father García Herreros steps into the picture. What spurs Father Herreros to help end the hostage situation?
6. When the President is unable to give the families what they ask for to find their families, some of them turn to the Notables. Who are the Notables and what is their role during the abductions?
7. Diana compares the negotiations of their lives to a game of chess. How do the Extraditables and the government play a form of chess involving the hostages?
8. Marina is kidnapped three months prior to Maruja and Beatriz. Describe what Marina is going through by the time the other two women show up.
9. Sometime after Beatriz is released, Escobar notes that he needs Maruja more than ever. Why does Escobar rely on Maruja as a hostage more than other hostages?
10. What is Decree 303, and what spurs its placement?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the criminals are very religious, including Escobar, the guards, and household owners who threaten the hostages. Write about how a person can live a criminal life and be religious at the same time.
Essay Topic 2
Research psychological effects on hostages and how it inhibits them from escaping when the opportunity arises. Maruja and Beatriz have an opportunity but decide not to risk it. Pacho has a chance but realizes it a little too late. How do months of imprisonment convince hostages that it is easier to stay put? How does treatment from the guards affect their decision that it is too risky to escape?
Essay Topic 3
One of the biggest issues of compromising with narcoterrorists when they take hostages is the long term effect. President Gaviria works hard to fight narcoterrorism without having to negotiate with hostage abductors. Nonetheless, he is pressured to pass Decree 303. Escobar turns himself in, but there are many other drug cartels in Colombia. Research narcoterrorism in Colombia from the 1980s to late 1990s. Consider President Gaviria's term and write about whether he succeeds in bringing down narcoterrorism. If he is successful, how does he do it? If he is not, who is?
This section contains 2,292 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)