|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
2. What do the guards mistake Beatriz's profession to be?
3. How are Pacho's guards compared to Maruja and Beatriz's guards?
4. What does President Gaviria make clear to Maza Márquez about rescue missions?
5. What does Maruja give herself to keep her sanity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the attempt to rescue Diana Turbay and its consequences.
2. Describe Marina Montoya's situation as it is introduced in Chapter One.
3. Father García Herreros is able to utilize his popularity to speak with Escobar and negotiate with him. Who exactly is Father Herreros and why is he so popular?
4. Describe Pacho as he tries to escape and what he feels when he fails.
5. Why do the kidnappers choose hostages who are media and government related?
6. Who are the Ochoa brothers and describe their importance to the hostages?
7. The hostages are imprisoned, but on occasions, there are exceptions to the rules. What acts show some sympathy from the kidnappers? How does this make the hostages feel?
8. Why do drug traffickers not like the New Liberation Party? How does New Liberation feel about drug trafficking?
9. When the hostage situation seems at a standstill and all avenues at a dead end, Father García Herreros steps into the picture. What spurs Father Herreros to help end the hostage situation?
10. The large group of six hostages is the media group from Crìpton. At first, they are separated into groups of three, then two. What is the purpose of the separation if they remain in the same area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The guards are there to keep the hostages from escaping. However, sometimes the guards show sympathy such as the day they find out about Maruja's birthday or the guard who is moved by Pacho's letter to his wife. Consider these guards and why they are there. What position are the guards in? Why do they do this job when it seems to conflict with their personal feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Extraditables. Who are they? Who is their leader? What are they known for? Why are they called the Extraditables? How do they have so much power?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the ten hostages are released before others. Write about what it is like for those that are released knowing others remain and what it is like for those that remain knowing others are released before them.
This section contains 1,520 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)