|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign of mental stress, previously seen in Marina, does Maruja now display?
2. How do Escobar's men treat Maruja's and Beatriz's guards?
3. What is the major underlying problem that disturbs the government's ability to control drug trafficking and guerrilla warfare?
4. Why do Orlando's wife and Richard's mother worry their relatives will be the first to die?
5. What is Juan Vitto prescribed when a doctor visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are decrees passed by the Constituent Assembly that deal with drug trafficking. However, when the terms are not agreeable, no one heeds their messages and laws. How do the citizens go about rejecting a decree? What gives them that ability?
2. Marina is kidnapped three months prior to Maruja and Beatriz. Describe what Marina is going through by the time the other two women show up.
3. What is Decree 303, and what spurs its placement?
4. Beatriz is released after many months. Describe her homecoming and her adjustments to her old life.
5. The Priscos brothers are murdered. Who are they and how are they related to the kidnappings?
6. When Beatriz is first imprisoned, the radio announces she is a physical therapist, but the guards think she is a psychotherapist. They refuse to let her write for fear that she is composing a way to make them all go mad. What does this say about the guards?
7. When Beatriz is released, Maruja is now the only prisoner. Describe Maruja's state after Beatriz is gone?
8. Describe what life is like for Escobar after he surrenders.
9. Hernando Santos is seventy-eight years old and has had five bypass surgeries when Francisco is abducted. How does he react and what does this say about his character?
10. Maruja is released first to be on time before the 7:30 evening news. Pacho's release is scheduled in time for the 9:00 pm news. Why are their releases scheduled in time with the news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
MedellÃn is known for its slums and high crime rates back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Research crime rates in MedellÃn and your own local area. Compare and contrast the crime rates and how it affects the people who inhabit the areas.
Essay Topic 2
The guards are there to keep the hostages from escaping. However, sometimes the guards show sympathy such as the day they find out about Maruja's birthday or the guard who is moved by Pacho's letter to his wife. Consider these guards and why they are there. What position are the guards in? Why do they do this job when it seems to conflict with their personal feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Decree 303 is passed days after Diana's death. The Extraditables get their extension on the capitulation policy. Where does the government stand at this point in time? Who has more control of the situation? Who has given up more at this stage? Who is winning the war between the Extraditables and the government?
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)