|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the guards discover that it is Maruja's birthday?
2. What is Beatriz's initial response to the attack?
3. What does Beatriz do to busy herself while being held hostage?
4. When is the first person freed?
5. Who is the first person freed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
2. Maruja is rejuvenated once more while imprisoned. What helps Maruja begin to look after herself again?
3. Guido Parra is no longer Escobar's negotiating lawyer and has dropped out of the picture. What happens to Guido Parra and why?
4. Father García Herreros is able to utilize his popularity to speak with Escobar and negotiate with him. Who exactly is Father Herreros and why is he so popular?
5. Describe what life is like for Escobar after he surrenders.
6. Describe Pacho as he tries to escape and what he feels when he fails.
7. Alberto Villamizar is Maruja's husband. What is his reaction to the kidnapping?
8. When the Extraditables kill Marina and leave her, the public does not even know for a week. Eventually the Extraditables confirm her murder. Why do the Extraditables confirm Marina's killing when public uncertainty comes up?
9. More is revealed about Alberto Villamizar as the book progresses. Write about Alberto's honor and how he follows his word.
10. Despite a criminal past, how does Escobar show he cares about Father Herreros' respect and opinion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research psychological effects on hostages and how it inhibits them from escaping when the opportunity arises. Maruja and Beatriz have an opportunity but decide not to risk it. Pacho has a chance but realizes it a little too late. How do months of imprisonment convince hostages that it is easier to stay put? How does treatment from the guards affect their decision that it is too risky to escape?
Essay Topic 2
The President holds office to help protect and do good by the population of his country. President Gaviria is in a dilemma. He wants to fight narcoterrorism long-term, but he is faced with hostages' lives that are presently in danger. How does President Gaviria handle this situation? Why does he make the decisions that he does?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the ten hostages are released before others. Write about what it is like for those that are released knowing others remain and what it is like for those that remain knowing others are released before them.
This section contains 1,476 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)