|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of October, what does Diana learn is distressing Azucena?
2. The guards watching Diana and her crew can be described as _____________.
3. What reality hits Luis Guillermo of Pablo Escobar's power?
4. What does Maruja give herself to keep her sanity?
5. What does Marina see the in the laundry area during her nightly walks with Monk?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Extraditables want new laws that will keep them safe from extradition. Why is extradition most feared out of all punishments?
2. Although the hostages are unable to leave their rooms other than to go to the bathroom, they are able to know a little about what is going on outside through radio and television. Explain how communication from the outside affects the hostages' mentality.
3. How does Nydia feel about the rescue attempt before and after it occurs?
4. Months have passed for the hostages, and it is already a new year for Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz. What consequences are seen from a long hostage stay?
5. Describe Maruja's and Beatriz's initial reaction to their kidnapping.
6. More is revealed about Alberto Villamizar as the book progresses. Write about Alberto's honor and how he follows his word.
7. Escobar threatens to dynamite Cartagena but decides to cancel it. How is this catastrophe avoided?
8. Maruja and Beatriz are the last of the ten people taken hostage. What spurs the decision to abduct these last two when the kidnappers already have eight hostages?
9. Despite a criminal past, how does Escobar show he cares about Father Herreros' respect and opinion.
10. Maruja is released first to be on time before the 7:30 evening news. Pacho's release is scheduled in time for the 9:00 pm news. Why are their releases scheduled in time with the news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three hostages and compare and contrast their reactions to the abductions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the negotiations between Guido Parra and the hostages' families. What is Parra's motivation? How does he overstep his boundaries?
Essay Topic 3
When the Extraditables decide to kill the hostages, they list the execution order as Marina, Richard, Beatriz, Maruja, Diana, then Pacho. Why this order? Why have an order at all? How does this order benefit the Extraditables?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)