Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the police know how to reach Beatriz's husband?
2. Who is the first to know that Diana and Santos' kidnappings are the works of Escobar?
3. What advice does the German journalist give Nydia?
4. What finally gets Escobar to surrender?
5. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maruja's daughter, Alexandra, commissions a program that is used to help communicate with her mother. What does this say about the family's connections and class?
2. How does Nydia feel about the rescue attempt before and after it occurs?
3. The Extraditables want new laws that will keep them safe from extradition. Why is extradition most feared out of all punishments?
4. Alberto Villamizar begins to have communiqués with Escobar when Parra is no longer in the picture as mediator. How do these communiqués begin and end? What results come from them?
5. Why do the kidnappers choose hostages who are media and government related?
6. The Priscos brothers are murdered. Who are they and how are they related to the kidnappings?
7. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
8. Describe Maruja's and Beatriz's initial reaction to their kidnapping.
9. After nearly six months as a hostage, Maruja finally sees her husband. Describe the meeting between Alberto Villamizar and Maruja.
10. When Pacho learns he is about to be released, he looks over all his notes and tears up all but three of them. He also saves the letters he wrote to his family. Why does he tear all his works up?
The President holds office to help protect and do good by the population of his country. President Gaviria is in a dilemma. He wants to fight narcoterrorism long-term, but he is faced with hostages' lives that are presently in danger. How does President Gaviria handle this situation? Why does he make the decisions that he does?
Decree 303 is passed days after Diana's death. The Extraditables get their extension on the capitulation policy. Where does the government stand at this point in time? Who has more control of the situation? Who has given up more at this stage? Who is winning the war between the Extraditables and the government?
Write an essay describing Nydia's story. What is her fight like from the day Diana is captured to the day she learns Diana is in the hospital? Is her fight over when Diana dies?
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)