|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the guards prevent Maruja from learning about the retaliation for the Priscos' death?
2. When Diana's crew learns of Maruja's abduction, how do they feel?
3. Who handles the negotiations for Escobar?
4. What makes Marina think she will not leave alive?
5. What is Juan Vitto prescribed when a doctor visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Decree 303, and what spurs its placement?
2. When the President is unable to give the families what they ask for to find their families, some of them turn to the Notables. Who are the Notables and what is their role during the abductions?
3. The guards who watch over Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz are excessively strict, but in about a month, they are able to relax a little on the rules. Why do the guards start off by being strict?
4. Villamizar is running out of options and feels the only way to negotiate with Escobar is to meet him face to face. Escobar does not comply. Why doesn't Escobar want to meet with Villamizar?
5. The hostages are imprisoned, but on occasions, there are exceptions to the rules. What acts show some sympathy from the kidnappers? How does this make the hostages feel?
6. Maruja and Beatriz are the last of the ten people taken hostage. What spurs the decision to abduct these last two when the kidnappers already have eight hostages?
7. After nearly six months as a hostage, Maruja finally sees her husband. Describe the meeting between Alberto Villamizar and Maruja.
8. Why do drug traffickers not like the New Liberation Party? How does New Liberation feel about drug trafficking?
9. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
10. Dr. Guerrero is Beatriz's husband. What is his initial reaction to the abductions and the consequences of his reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the ten hostages are released before others. Write about what it is like for those that are released knowing others remain and what it is like for those that remain knowing others are released before them.
Essay Topic 2
Father Herreros speaks with Escobar, and even though he knows his history as much as the rest of the public, the Father says about Escobar, "Deep down all men are good, although some circumstances can make them evil." Write an essay on whether you agree or disagree and why.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the criminals are very religious, including Escobar, the guards, and household owners who threaten the hostages. Write about how a person can live a criminal life and be religious at the same time.
This section contains 2,202 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)