|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Marina think she will not leave alive?
2. What advice does the German journalist give Nydia?
3. What occurs as a consequence of the Priscos' execution?
4. What becomes of the negotiations between the Notables and Escobar's negotiator for Santos and Turbay?
5. What does Escobar propose in one of his letters to his lawyer when in negotiations with the Notables?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Ochoa brothers and describe their importance to the hostages?
2. The guards who watch over Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz are excessively strict, but in about a month, they are able to relax a little on the rules. Why do the guards start off by being strict?
3. Why do the kidnappers abduct family members rather than the actual politicians or other influential people?
4. Describe Maruja's and Beatriz's initial reaction to their kidnapping.
5. The hostages are separated into several different groups. Compare and contrast the guards' watch over the kidnapped.
6. Maruja's daughter, Alexandra, commissions a program that is used to help communicate with her mother. What does this say about the family's connections and class?
7. Beatriz is released after many months. Describe her homecoming and her adjustments to her old life.
8. Maruja is rejuvenated once more while imprisoned. What helps Maruja begin to look after herself again?
9. Despite a criminal past, how does Escobar show he cares about Father Herreros' respect and opinion.
10. When Beatriz is released, Maruja is now the only prisoner. Describe Maruja's state after Beatriz is gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research psychological effects on hostages and how it inhibits them from escaping when the opportunity arises. Maruja and Beatriz have an opportunity but decide not to risk it. Pacho has a chance but realizes it a little too late. How do months of imprisonment convince hostages that it is easier to stay put? How does treatment from the guards affect their decision that it is too risky to escape?
Essay Topic 2
The President holds office to help protect and do good by the population of his country. President Gaviria is in a dilemma. He wants to fight narcoterrorism long-term, but he is faced with hostages' lives that are presently in danger. How does President Gaviria handle this situation? Why does he make the decisions that he does?
Essay Topic 3
Although Pablo died in 1993, how does his infamy continue on with the family. Research Pablo Escobar's family and what state they are currently in. How does Colombia view Escobar's family? How do other countries view Escobar and his family?
This section contains 2,219 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)