|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs as a consequence of the Priscos' execution?
2. What are the hostages given to wear while in hiding?
3. What reality hits Luis Guillermo of Pablo Escobar's power?
4. Who is the first family member to arrive at the scene of Maruja's and Beatriz's abduction?
5. What reply is given when Maruja asks who the kidnappers are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dr. Guerrero is Beatriz's husband. What is his initial reaction to the abductions and the consequences of his reaction?
2. Maruja is released first to be on time before the 7:30 evening news. Pacho's release is scheduled in time for the 9:00 pm news. Why are their releases scheduled in time with the news?
3. Sometime after Beatriz is released, Escobar notes that he needs Maruja more than ever. Why does Escobar rely on Maruja as a hostage more than other hostages?
4. Escobar promises to release Maruja and Pacho. There are various sources, but Villamizar is ecstatic. One reporter notes with surprise that Alberto can be so trusting. What makes this promise from Escobar believable despite previous promises?
5. The abductions are very well planned. Choose two abductions and describe in detail how the kidnappings occurred successfully.
6. During Maruja's and Beatriz' imprisonment, there is a time when the sub machine guns are available to the women. However, they both decide without a word that they will not use it to escape. Why would the women decide not to try and escape despite this opportunity?
7. Villamizar is running out of options and feels the only way to negotiate with Escobar is to meet him face to face. Escobar does not comply. Why doesn't Escobar want to meet with Villamizar?
8. The decrees are supposed to be the main topic of the negotiations between Escobar and the government. When Decree 303 comes out complying with Escobar's capitulation policy extension, he only releases one hostage and keeps two. Why does Escobar keep the hostages despite his "acceptance" of the latest decree?
9. Father García Herreros is able to utilize his popularity to speak with Escobar and negotiate with him. Who exactly is Father Herreros and why is he so popular?
10. Despite a criminal past, how does Escobar show he cares about Father Herreros' respect and opinion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the biggest issues of compromising with narcoterrorists when they take hostages is the long term effect. President Gaviria works hard to fight narcoterrorism without having to negotiate with hostage abductors. Nonetheless, he is pressured to pass Decree 303. Escobar turns himself in, but there are many other drug cartels in Colombia. Research narcoterrorism in Colombia from the 1980s to late 1990s. Consider President Gaviria's term and write about whether he succeeds in bringing down narcoterrorism. If he is successful, how does he do it? If he is not, who is?
Essay Topic 2
Research psychological effects on hostages and how it inhibits them from escaping when the opportunity arises. Maruja and Beatriz have an opportunity but decide not to risk it. Pacho has a chance but realizes it a little too late. How do months of imprisonment convince hostages that it is easier to stay put? How does treatment from the guards affect their decision that it is too risky to escape?
Essay Topic 3
Decree 303 is passed days after Diana's death. The Extraditables get their extension on the capitulation policy. Where does the government stand at this point in time? Who has more control of the situation? Who has given up more at this stage? Who is winning the war between the Extraditables and the government?
This section contains 1,703 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)