|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nydia view President Gaviria?
2. The kidnappings are bargains to negotiate what?
3. What are the two things that give Marina and Maruja consolation while imprisoned?
4. What is different about Diana and her crew's location compared to the other hostages' hiding places?
5. How many men are directly involved with the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the kidnappers choose hostages who are media and government related?
2. Diana Turbay is one of the main hostages from the media group of six. Describe her background that shows her history and character.
3. Escobar threatens to dynamite Cartagena but decides to cancel it. How is this catastrophe avoided?
4. Alberto Villamizar is Maruja's husband. What is his reaction to the kidnapping?
5. Alberto Villamizar begins to have communiqués with Escobar when Parra is no longer in the picture as mediator. How do these communiqués begin and end? What results come from them?
6. During Maruja's and Beatriz' imprisonment, there is a time when the sub machine guns are available to the women. However, they both decide without a word that they will not use it to escape. Why would the women decide not to try and escape despite this opportunity?
7. In detail, describe how Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz take in the fact that they remain hostages into the New Year.
8. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
9. Beatriz is released after many months. Describe her homecoming and her adjustments to her old life.
10. The abductions are very well planned. Choose two abductions and describe in detail how the kidnappings occurred successfully.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colombia's drug trafficking has a large following. Explain the appeals and why it has so many willing followers.
Essay Topic 2
Decree 303 is passed days after Diana's death. The Extraditables get their extension on the capitulation policy. Where does the government stand at this point in time? Who has more control of the situation? Who has given up more at this stage? Who is winning the war between the Extraditables and the government?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three hostages and compare and contrast their reactions to the abductions.
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)