|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first president to allow extradition of Colombian nationals?
2. What does Maruja use to help ease her anxiety during the car ride to the hiding place?
3. What does Maruja, Marina and Beatriz do to keep hope alive?
4. Of the noted men that turn themselves in after Decree 3030, what is the biggest influence that causes them to surrender?
5. Why do Orlando's wife and Richard's mother worry their relatives will be the first to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the National Narcotics Statute, and how is it related to the abductions?
2. More is revealed about Alberto Villamizar as the book progresses. Write about Alberto's honor and how he follows his word.
3. Guido Parra is no longer Escobar's negotiating lawyer and has dropped out of the picture. What happens to Guido Parra and why?
4. When Beatriz is first imprisoned, the radio announces she is a physical therapist, but the guards think she is a psychotherapist. They refuse to let her write for fear that she is composing a way to make them all go mad. What does this say about the guards?
5. There are decrees passed by the Constituent Assembly that deal with drug trafficking. However, when the terms are not agreeable, no one heeds their messages and laws. How do the citizens go about rejecting a decree? What gives them that ability?
6. When the Extraditables kill Marina and leave her, the public does not even know for a week. Eventually the Extraditables confirm her murder. Why do the Extraditables confirm Marina's killing when public uncertainty comes up?
7. Explain Decree 3030 and why Escobar is angry about it.
8. Maruja and Pacho, the last of the hostages, are released. Describe the public's reaction to their release.
9. Describe the attempt to rescue Diana Turbay and its consequences.
10. Describe Pacho as he tries to escape and what he feels when he fails.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Extraditables decide to kill the hostages, they list the execution order as Marina, Richard, Beatriz, Maruja, Diana, then Pacho. Why this order? Why have an order at all? How does this order benefit the Extraditables?
Essay Topic 2
One of the biggest issues of compromising with narcoterrorists when they take hostages is the long term effect. President Gaviria works hard to fight narcoterrorism without having to negotiate with hostage abductors. Nonetheless, he is pressured to pass Decree 303. Escobar turns himself in, but there are many other drug cartels in Colombia. Research narcoterrorism in Colombia from the 1980s to late 1990s. Consider President Gaviria's term and write about whether he succeeds in bringing down narcoterrorism. If he is successful, how does he do it? If he is not, who is?
Essay Topic 3
Father Herreros speaks with Escobar, and even though he knows his history as much as the rest of the public, the Father says about Escobar, "Deep down all men are good, although some circumstances can make them evil." Write an essay on whether you agree or disagree and why.
This section contains 1,569 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)