Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the police know how to reach Beatriz's husband?
2. Who is the first to know that Diana and Santos' kidnappings are the works of Escobar?
3. What advice does the German journalist give Nydia?
4. What finally gets Escobar to surrender?
5. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maruja's daughter, Alexandra, commissions a program that is used to help communicate with her mother. What does this say about the family's connections and class?
2. How does Nydia feel about the rescue attempt before and after it occurs?
3. The Extraditables want new laws that will keep them safe from extradition. Why is extradition most feared out of all punishments?
4. Alberto Villamizar begins to have communiquÃ©s with Escobar when Parra is no longer in the picture as mediator. How do these communiquÃ©s begin and end? What results come from them?
5. Why do the kidnappers choose hostages who are media and government related?
6. The Priscos brothers are murdered. Who are they and how are they related to the kidnappings?
7. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
8. Describe Maruja's and Beatriz's initial reaction to their kidnapping.
9. After nearly six months as a hostage, Maruja finally sees her husband. Describe the meeting between Alberto Villamizar and Maruja.
10. When Pacho learns he is about to be released, he looks over all his notes and tears up all but three of them. He also saves the letters he wrote to his family. Why does he tear all his works up?
Essay Topic 1
Decree 303 is passed days after Diana's death. The Extraditables get their extension on the capitulation policy. Where does the government stand at this point in time? Who has more control of the situation? Who has given up more at this stage? Who is winning the war between the Extraditables and the government?
Essay Topic 2
Father Herreros speaks with Escobar, and even though he knows his history as much as the rest of the public, the Father says about Escobar, "Deep down all men are good, although some circumstances can make them evil." Write an essay on whether you agree or disagree and why.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the criminals are very religious, including Escobar, the guards, and household owners who threaten the hostages. Write about how a person can live a criminal life and be religious at the same time.
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)