|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the hostages given to wear while in hiding?
2. How is Diana distracted after her separation from Azucena?
3. How are Pacho's guards compared to Maruja and Beatriz's guards?
4. What does Diana begin to do when she learns her kidnapping is not an isolated event?
5. Who exposes Escobar when he attempts to infiltrate the New Liberalism Party?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Extraditables kill Marina and leave her, the public does not even know for a week. Eventually the Extraditables confirm her murder. Why do the Extraditables confirm Marina's killing when public uncertainty comes up?
2. Villamizar is running out of options and feels the only way to negotiate with Escobar is to meet him face to face. Escobar does not comply. Why doesn't Escobar want to meet with Villamizar?
3. More is revealed about Alberto Villamizar as the book progresses. Write about Alberto's honor and how he follows his word.
4. Maruja's daughter, Alexandra, commissions a program that is used to help communicate with her mother. What does this say about the family's connections and class?
5. There are various families working on getting their relatives back. Some work together, others do not. Describe why some families have issues working together to find their families?
6. Dr. Guerrero is Beatriz's husband. What is his initial reaction to the abductions and the consequences of his reaction?
7. Hernando Santos is seventy-eight years old and has had five bypass surgeries when Francisco is abducted. How does he react and what does this say about his character?
8. Maruja is rejuvenated once more while imprisoned. What helps Maruja begin to look after herself again?
9. Guido Parra is no longer Escobar's negotiating lawyer and has dropped out of the picture. What happens to Guido Parra and why?
10. Why do drug traffickers not like the New Liberation Party? How does New Liberation feel about drug trafficking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The guards are there to keep the hostages from escaping. However, sometimes the guards show sympathy such as the day they find out about Maruja's birthday or the guard who is moved by Pacho's letter to his wife. Consider these guards and why they are there. What position are the guards in? Why do they do this job when it seems to conflict with their personal feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Extraditables. Who are they? Who is their leader? What are they known for? Why are they called the Extraditables? How do they have so much power?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colombian government as it was in the late 1980s/early 1990s. What type of government was it? How was it enacted? Write about how the government plays into the lives of drug traffickers and narcoterrorism.
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)