|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins a personal campaign to contact Escobar?
2. What does Marina see the in the laundry area during her nightly walks with Monk?
3. What does Maruja use to help ease her anxiety during the car ride to the hiding place?
4. How does Marina spend her New Year's Eve?
5. Who founded the New Liberalism Party?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Maruja's and Beatriz' imprisonment, there is a time when the sub machine guns are available to the women. However, they both decide without a word that they will not use it to escape. Why would the women decide not to try and escape despite this opportunity?
2. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
3. How does Nydia feel about the rescue attempt before and after it occurs?
4. Describe the attempt to rescue Diana Turbay and its consequences.
5. There are decrees passed by the Constituent Assembly that deal with drug trafficking. However, when the terms are not agreeable, no one heeds their messages and laws. How do the citizens go about rejecting a decree? What gives them that ability?
6. The hostages are imprisoned, but on occasions, there are exceptions to the rules. What acts show some sympathy from the kidnappers? How does this make the hostages feel?
7. Pacho has ideas of escaping when he feels there is no other alternative. How is this option possible? What makes Pacho believe he can escape all the guards?
8. Who are the Ochoa brothers and describe their importance to the hostages?
9. Maruja is rejuvenated once more while imprisoned. What helps Maruja begin to look after herself again?
10. The guards who watch over Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz are excessively strict, but in about a month, they are able to relax a little on the rules. Why do the guards start off by being strict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ten hostages are taken by the Extraditables. Some are imprisoned for over 6 months while others are released earlier. Each of their situations is different, but some comparisons are still there. Describe the consequences of imprisonment on a hostage physically and psychologically. Consider the different hostages and how they are treated.
Essay Topic 2
The President holds office to help protect and do good by the population of his country. President Gaviria is in a dilemma. He wants to fight narcoterrorism long-term, but he is faced with hostages' lives that are presently in danger. How does President Gaviria handle this situation? Why does he make the decisions that he does?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colombian government as it was in the late 1980s/early 1990s. What type of government was it? How was it enacted? Write about how the government plays into the lives of drug traffickers and narcoterrorism.
This section contains 1,774 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)