|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maruja and Beatriz see who at their second hiding place?
(a) Alvaro Diego.
(b) Germán Montoya.
(c) Marìa Santiago.
(d) Marina Montoya.
2. Who handles the negotiations for Escobar?
(a) Juan Gomez.
(b) Manuel Perez.
(c) Don Pacho.
(d) Guido Parra Montoya.
3. What does Maruja, Marina and Beatriz do to keep hope alive?
(a) They visualize their release.
(b) They play games with the guards.
(c) They share good memories with one another.
(d) They pretend they are at Maruja's apartment.
4. When Diana's crew learns of Maruja's abduction, how do they feel?
(a) They will be let go soon since she is more important.
(b) They will be saved since more people will work to save them.
(c) Worried for her life.
5. How do the Prisco brothers play a role in the gang life?
(a) They are in charge of all the hostages during their imprisonment.
(b) They are the masterminds behind the drug cartel to the U.S.
(c) They are the only ones who know where Escobar resides.
(d) They are accused of assassinations and being the brains behind the current abductions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the hostages given to wear while in hiding?
2. How do Escobar's men treat Maruja's and Beatriz's guards?
3. What does Escobar propose in one of his letters to his lawyer when in negotiations with the Notables?
4. What is Marina's condition when she is called by the guards to get ready to leave?
5. What is different about Diana and her crew's location compared to the other hostages' hiding places?
Short Essay Questions
1. The President is called on for help during these abductions. President Gaviria does not feel he can give what the families and kidnappers are asking for. What is being asked of President Gaviria, and why is he resistant to give in to these demands?
2. Describe Marina Montoya's situation as it is introduced in Chapter One.
3. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
4. Marina is kidnapped three months prior to Maruja and Beatriz. Describe what Marina is going through by the time the other two women show up.
5. When the Extraditables kill Marina and leave her, the public does not even know for a week. Eventually the Extraditables confirm her murder. Why do the Extraditables confirm Marina's killing when public uncertainty comes up?
6. Villamizar is running out of options and feels the only way to negotiate with Escobar is to meet him face to face. Escobar does not comply. Why doesn't Escobar want to meet with Villamizar?
7. When Pacho learns he is about to be released, he looks over all his notes and tears up all but three of them. He also saves the letters he wrote to his family. Why does he tear all his works up?
8. Describe what life is like for Escobar after he surrenders.
9. Maruja and Beatriz are the last of the ten people taken hostage. What spurs the decision to abduct these last two when the kidnappers already have eight hostages?
10. Describe Pacho as he tries to escape and what he feels when he fails.
This section contains 1,672 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)