|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the kidnappers abduct the first set of people?
(a) Manuel Perez captures them during an interview and hands them over.
(b) The abductors promise them an interview.
(c) The abductors break into each person's individual home in the middle of night.
(d) The abductors hijack their news van.
2. Why does Escobar reject the law that gives him immunity from his most feared punishment?
(a) He wants to rid of the death penalty altogether.
(b) He wants to lower maximum imprisonment despite the number of cases.
(c) He wants non-extradition offered no matter the situation.
(d) He believes a drug trafficker should only be imprisoned for one sentence.
3. What does Villamizar think of Guido Parra?
(a) That Parra is a brilliant negotiator.
(b) That Parra is a crooked opportunist.
(c) That Parra is dangerous for his intelligence of the law.
(d) That Parra is a serious man but with no real direction.
4. How do the majordomo and his wife treat Maruja's on her birthday?
(a) They let her walk outside the enclosed courtyard as a gift.
(b) They give her a cupcake for dessert.
(c) They allow her to write a letter to send to her husband.
(d) They bring champagne and cake to celebrate.
5. Why is Germán Montoya an important man?
(a) He is the man that ousted the Virgilio Barco government.
(b) He helps write the drug trafficking laws.
(c) He is responsible for the M-19 downfall.
(d) He had been Secretary General to the President.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guards are there for Maruja, Beatriz, and the other woman held together in one room?
2. How do the police know how to reach Beatriz's husband?
3. When Azucena is released, what does she give Nydia Quintero?
4. How do Escobar's men treat Maruja's and Beatriz's guards?
5. Who is allowed to visit Marina and Beatriz in January?
Short Essay Questions
1. Alberto Villamizar begins to have communiqués with Escobar when Parra is no longer in the picture as mediator. How do these communiqués begin and end? What results come from them?
2. The Priscos brothers are murdered. Who are they and how are they related to the kidnappings?
3. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
4. Why do drug traffickers not like the New Liberation Party? How does New Liberation feel about drug trafficking?
5. The large group of six hostages is the media group from Crìpton. At first, they are separated into groups of three, then two. What is the purpose of the separation if they remain in the same area?
6. Who are the Ochoa brothers and describe their importance to the hostages?
7. Alberto Villamizar is Maruja's husband. What is his reaction to the kidnapping?
8. Describe Marina Montoya's situation as it is introduced in Chapter One.
9. When the hostage situation seems at a standstill and all avenues at a dead end, Father García Herreros steps into the picture. What spurs Father Herreros to help end the hostage situation?
10. Maruja is rejuvenated once more while imprisoned. What helps Maruja begin to look after herself again?
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)