Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the police know how to reach Beatriz's husband?
(a) A note in her bag says to call him in case of an emergency.
(b) Beatriz and her husband are well-known politicians.
(c) Alberto Villamizar informs them.
(d) Beatriz's husband reaches them first when he hears the news report.
2. Who is the first to know that Diana and Santos' kidnappings are the works of Escobar?
(a) Former president Turbay.
(b) Hernando Santos.
(c) César Gaviria.
(d) The media.
3. What advice does the German journalist give Nydia?
(a) To continue her prayers to the Holy Infant.
(b) To prevent an armed rescue at all costs.
(c) To put greater pressure on the president.
(d) To use the media to get the public on her side.
4. What finally gets Escobar to surrender?
(a) Decree 303.
(b) Escobar's daughter is taken hostage by the law.
(c) Nieves and Quintero are able to convince him.
(d) The Ochoa brothers threaten him.
5. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
(a) Investigate possibilities of assassinating Escobar.
(b) Offer non-extradition to all who come forth at any time.
(c) Send a message to Escobar that he will not yield.
(d) Change the capitulation policy date in the decree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter sent from the Extraditables to Turbay and Santos threaten if they do not receive what they want?
2. Why does Escobar reject the law that gives him immunity from his most feared punishment?
3. Why do the kidnappers take Maruja and Beatriz to a second hiding place?
4. Who is the first person freed?
5. What major term is Decree 3030 missing that angers Escobar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maruja's daughter, Alexandra, commissions a program that is used to help communicate with her mother. What does this say about the family's connections and class?
2. How does Nydia feel about the rescue attempt before and after it occurs?
3. The Extraditables want new laws that will keep them safe from extradition. Why is extradition most feared out of all punishments?
4. Alberto Villamizar begins to have communiqués with Escobar when Parra is no longer in the picture as mediator. How do these communiqués begin and end? What results come from them?
5. Why do the kidnappers choose hostages who are media and government related?
6. The Priscos brothers are murdered. Who are they and how are they related to the kidnappings?
7. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
8. Describe Maruja's and Beatriz's initial reaction to their kidnapping.
9. After nearly six months as a hostage, Maruja finally sees her husband. Describe the meeting between Alberto Villamizar and Maruja.
10. When Pacho learns he is about to be released, he looks over all his notes and tears up all but three of them. He also saves the letters he wrote to his family. Why does he tear all his works up?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)