|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who founded the New Liberalism Party?
(a) Luis Carlos Galán, Maruja's brother in-law.
(b) Luis Carlos Galán, Beatriz's brother.
(c) Alberto Villamizar, Maruja's husband.
(d) Gloria Pachón, Beatriz's sister.
2. What do drug traffickers fear most for punishment?
(a) Death penalty.
(b) Lifetime imprisonment.
(d) Multiple sentences.
3. What advice does the German journalist give Nydia?
(a) To prevent an armed rescue at all costs.
(b) To continue her prayers to the Holy Infant.
(c) To use the media to get the public on her side.
(d) To put greater pressure on the president.
4. Why do the kidnappers take Maruja and Beatriz to a second hiding place?
(a) Beatriz figures out their location when she looks out a bathroom window.
(b) To confuse the women further.
(c) Maruja whispers too loudly that she knows where they may be.
(d) The police learn the kidnappers' escape route, so they must leave.
5. After the Notables negotiation failure, what news does Pardo give Villamizar to have something to look forward to?
(a) President Gaviria is putting more forces to work to help negotiate with Parra.
(b) Pardo's department receives a minicassette from Maruja.
(c) Nydia has leads on Escobar is location.
(d) Another decree is being worked on to amend the first rejected one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are directly involved with the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
2. Who is the only one to not hide the pessimism of the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
3. How do the kidnappers learn Beatriz's identity?
4. Where is the first hiding place located?
5. Why is Germán Montoya an important man?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Beatriz is first imprisoned, the radio announces she is a physical therapist, but the guards think she is a psychotherapist. They refuse to let her write for fear that she is composing a way to make them all go mad. What does this say about the guards?
2. Alberto Villamizar is Maruja's husband. What is his reaction to the kidnapping?
3. Guido Parra is no longer Escobar's negotiating lawyer and has dropped out of the picture. What happens to Guido Parra and why?
4. Describe what life is like for Escobar after he surrenders.
5. Maruja and Pacho, the last of the hostages, are released. Describe the public's reaction to their release.
6. The decrees are supposed to be the main topic of the negotiations between Escobar and the government. When Decree 303 comes out complying with Escobar's capitulation policy extension, he only releases one hostage and keeps two. Why does Escobar keep the hostages despite his "acceptance" of the latest decree?
7. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
8. The Priscos brothers are murdered. Who are they and how are they related to the kidnappings?
9. Describe Marina Montoya's situation as it is introduced in Chapter One.
10. When Beatriz is released, Maruja is now the only prisoner. Describe Maruja's state after Beatriz is gone?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)