|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Diana die?
(a) She is shot and left behind.
(b) The kidnappers kill her before they flee during the raid.
(c) From a random gunshot wound to her waist.
(d) An Elite Corps member shoots her after mistaking her as one of Escobar's men.
2. What does Villamizar think of Guido Parra?
(a) That Parra is a brilliant negotiator.
(b) That Parra is a crooked opportunist.
(c) That Parra is a serious man but with no real direction.
(d) That Parra is dangerous for his intelligence of the law.
3. Where is Marina's body buried after it is found and autopsied?
(a) In the family cemetery plot.
(b) In a mass grave with other unidentified bodies.
(c) At a cemetery dedicated to martyrs.
(d) In the cemetery for the homeless.
4. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
(a) Send a message to Escobar that he will not yield.
(b) Change the capitulation policy date in the decree.
(c) Offer non-extradition to all who come forth at any time.
(d) Investigate possibilities of assassinating Escobar.
5. Who is the only one to not hide the pessimism of the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
(a) President Gaviria.
(b) Maza Márquez.
(c) Rafael Pardo.
(d) Diego Montaña Cuéllar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first president to allow extradition of Colombian nationals?
2. Why does Escobar reject the law that gives him immunity from his most feared punishment?
3. How do the guards discover that it is Maruja's birthday?
4. How do the Prisco brothers play a role in the gang life?
5. Why is Beatriz a target?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Decree 3030 and why Escobar is angry about it.
2. The decrees are supposed to be the main topic of the negotiations between Escobar and the government. When Decree 303 comes out complying with Escobar's capitulation policy extension, he only releases one hostage and keeps two. Why does Escobar keep the hostages despite his "acceptance" of the latest decree?
3. Months have passed for the hostages, and it is already a new year for Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz. What consequences are seen from a long hostage stay?
4. Escobar promises to release Maruja and Pacho. There are various sources, but Villamizar is ecstatic. One reporter notes with surprise that Alberto can be so trusting. What makes this promise from Escobar believable despite previous promises?
5. Guido Parra is no longer Escobar's negotiating lawyer and has dropped out of the picture. What happens to Guido Parra and why?
6. Maruja is rejuvenated once more while imprisoned. What helps Maruja begin to look after herself again?
7. The guards who watch over Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz are excessively strict, but in about a month, they are able to relax a little on the rules. Why do the guards start off by being strict?
8. Maruja is home, and Escobar is in prison. At the end of it all, how does Alberto Villamizar's life change due to the events surrounding his wife's abduction?
9. Maruja and Beatriz are the last of the ten people taken hostage. What spurs the decision to abduct these last two when the kidnappers already have eight hostages?
10. Dr. Guerrero is Beatriz's husband. What is his initial reaction to the abductions and the consequences of his reaction?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)