|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who handles the negotiations for Escobar?
(a) Manuel Perez.
(b) Don Pacho.
(c) Juan Gomez.
(d) Guido Parra Montoya.
2. What problem does the law face if they capture a drug trafficking terrorist?
(a) Lack of evidence to convict.
(b) Inability to extradite the suspect.
(c) Retaliation from the cartel.
(d) Public safety during the attempts to physically capture any of the terrorists.
3. What occurs as a consequence of the Priscos' execution?
(a) Escobar refuses further negotiations for the time being.
(b) There is an order to retaliate against the police in Medellín.
(c) There is an order to kill Marina.
(d) There is an order to kill Pacho Santos.
4. Where is Marina's body buried after it is found and autopsied?
(a) In the family cemetery plot.
(b) In the cemetery for the homeless.
(c) At a cemetery dedicated to martyrs.
(d) In a mass grave with other unidentified bodies.
5. What forms of communication do Maruja and Beatriz have from the outside world?
(a) Magazines and television.
(b) Radio and newspapers.
(c) Radio and television.
(d) Newspapers and magazines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone call the man who seems to lead the kidnapping?
2. What finally gets Escobar to surrender?
3. Why do the kidnappers take Maruja and Beatriz to a second hiding place?
4. What does Maruja give herself to keep her sanity?
5. The hostages' living conditions are __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Villamizar is running out of options and feels the only way to negotiate with Escobar is to meet him face to face. Escobar does not comply. Why doesn't Escobar want to meet with Villamizar?
2. More is revealed about Alberto Villamizar as the book progresses. Write about Alberto's honor and how he follows his word.
3. When Beatriz is released, Maruja is now the only prisoner. Describe Maruja's state after Beatriz is gone?
4. Despite a criminal past, how does Escobar show he cares about Father Herreros' respect and opinion.
5. Although the hostages are unable to leave their rooms other than to go to the bathroom, they are able to know a little about what is going on outside through radio and television. Explain how communication from the outside affects the hostages' mentality.
6. The decrees are supposed to be the main topic of the negotiations between Escobar and the government. When Decree 303 comes out complying with Escobar's capitulation policy extension, he only releases one hostage and keeps two. Why does Escobar keep the hostages despite his "acceptance" of the latest decree?
7. The large group of six hostages is the media group from Crìpton. At first, they are separated into groups of three, then two. What is the purpose of the separation if they remain in the same area?
8. Why do the kidnappers abduct family members rather than the actual politicians or other influential people?
9. Maruja is released first to be on time before the 7:30 evening news. Pacho's release is scheduled in time for the 9:00 pm news. Why are their releases scheduled in time with the news?
10. Escobar promises to release Maruja and Pacho. There are various sources, but Villamizar is ecstatic. One reporter notes with surprise that Alberto can be so trusting. What makes this promise from Escobar believable despite previous promises?
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)