|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only one to not hide the pessimism of the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
(a) Rafael Pardo.
(b) President Gaviria.
(c) Diego Montaña Cuéllar.
(d) Maza Márquez.
2. In front of whom does Villamizar feel safe enough to drink?
(a) Dr. Guerrero.
(b) No one.
(c) Rafael Pardo.
3. What does Beatriz do to busy herself while being held hostage?
(a) Records details of her imprisonment.
(b) Watches television all day long.
(c) Talks to the guards.
(d) Looks out a window.
4. What advice does the German journalist give Nydia?
(a) To continue her prayers to the Holy Infant.
(b) To put greater pressure on the president.
(c) To use the media to get the public on her side.
(d) To prevent an armed rescue at all costs.
5. What is the major underlying problem that disturbs the government's ability to control drug trafficking and guerrilla warfare?
(a) Corruption within the government.
(b) Economic turmoil that makes drug trafficking tempting.
(c) Lack of an effective judicial system.
(d) Politicians fear of assassination, so they never strengthen laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who handles the negotiations for Escobar?
2. What is Manuel Perez famous for?
3. Who is allowed to visit Marina and Beatriz in January?
4. If the drug traffickers turn themselves in, what law gives drug traffickers immunity from the punishment that most of them fear?
5. What occurs as a consequence of the Priscos' execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite a criminal past, how does Escobar show he cares about Father Herreros' respect and opinion.
2. During Maruja's and Beatriz' imprisonment, there is a time when the sub machine guns are available to the women. However, they both decide without a word that they will not use it to escape. Why would the women decide not to try and escape despite this opportunity?
3. Escobar promises to release Maruja and Pacho. There are various sources, but Villamizar is ecstatic. One reporter notes with surprise that Alberto can be so trusting. What makes this promise from Escobar believable despite previous promises?
4. How does Nydia feel about the rescue attempt before and after it occurs?
5. Maruja and Beatriz are the last of the ten people taken hostage. What spurs the decision to abduct these last two when the kidnappers already have eight hostages?
6. Why do the kidnappers abduct family members rather than the actual politicians or other influential people?
7. Describe Pacho as he tries to escape and what he feels when he fails.
8. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
9. Maruja and Pacho, the last of the hostages, are released. Describe the public's reaction to their release.
10. Dr. Guerrero is Beatriz's husband. What is his initial reaction to the abductions and the consequences of his reaction?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)