|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Escobar's men treat Maruja's and Beatriz's guards?
(a) They guards are given nice suits and fancy watches.
(b) The guards are pretty autonomous.
(c) As if they are prisoners too.
(d) As if they are high in rank.
2. Why is Germán Montoya an important man?
(a) He helps write the drug trafficking laws.
(b) He is responsible for the M-19 downfall.
(c) He had been Secretary General to the President.
(d) He is the man that ousted the Virgilio Barco government.
3. What does Maruja, Marina and Beatriz do to keep hope alive?
(a) They play games with the guards.
(b) They visualize their release.
(c) They pretend they are at Maruja's apartment.
(d) They share good memories with one another.
4. What does Maruja give herself to keep her sanity?
(a) A cigarette as soon as she wakes up to the gloomy mornings.
(b) A time for prayer to the Holy Infant once a day.
(c) Two hours of solitude a day.
(d) One-on-one conversations with Beatriz to keep focus on reality.
5. To what game does Diana compare the negotiations?
Short Answer Questions
1. The feelings of the kidnappers during the abduction can be described as __________.
2. What complaints do the women in the drug traffickers' family have?
3. Where is the first hiding place located?
4. Where is Marina's body buried after it is found and autopsied?
5. How does Nydia achieve contact with Escobar?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are decrees passed by the Constituent Assembly that deal with drug trafficking. However, when the terms are not agreeable, no one heeds their messages and laws. How do the citizens go about rejecting a decree? What gives them that ability?
2. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
3. Months have passed for the hostages, and it is already a new year for Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz. What consequences are seen from a long hostage stay?
4. Villamizar is running out of options and feels the only way to negotiate with Escobar is to meet him face to face. Escobar does not comply. Why doesn't Escobar want to meet with Villamizar?
5. Why do the kidnappers choose hostages who are media and government related?
6. The President is called on for help during these abductions. President Gaviria does not feel he can give what the families and kidnappers are asking for. What is being asked of President Gaviria, and why is he resistant to give in to these demands?
7. What is Decree 303, and what spurs its placement?
8. Hernando Santos is seventy-eight years old and has had five bypass surgeries when Francisco is abducted. How does he react and what does this say about his character?
9. What is the National Narcotics Statute, and how is it related to the abductions?
10. There are various families working on getting their relatives back. Some work together, others do not. Describe why some families have issues working together to find their families?
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)