|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marina spend her New Year's Eve?
(a) Laughing and joking with the guards.
(b) She drinks and tries drugs with the guards.
(c) She dances all night without music.
(d) Quietly in the corner.
2. Who is the first to know that Diana and Santos' kidnappings are the works of Escobar?
(a) Hernando Santos.
(b) Former president Turbay.
(c) The media.
(d) César Gaviria.
3. How do the kidnappers abduct the first set of people?
(a) The abductors hijack their news van.
(b) The abductors promise them an interview.
(c) Manuel Perez captures them during an interview and hands them over.
(d) The abductors break into each person's individual home in the middle of night.
4. Who is the first person freed?
(a) Marina Montoya.
(b) Hero Buss.
(c) Juan Vitta.
(d) Richard Becerra.
5. Why does Escobar reject the law that gives him immunity from his most feared punishment?
(a) He wants to rid of the death penalty altogether.
(b) He wants non-extradition offered no matter the situation.
(c) He wants to lower maximum imprisonment despite the number of cases.
(d) He believes a drug trafficker should only be imprisoned for one sentence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which hostage is no longer worth a bargain?
2. When Azucena is released, what does she give Nydia Quintero?
3. The Santos family learns Pacho is in the northern part of Bogota. How do they know this?
4. At the end of October, what does Diana learn is distressing Azucena?
5. How does Diana die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maruja is home, and Escobar is in prison. At the end of it all, how does Alberto Villamizar's life change due to the events surrounding his wife's abduction?
2. Maruja and Pacho, the last of the hostages, are released. Describe the public's reaction to their release.
3. The Extraditables want new laws that will keep them safe from extradition. Why is extradition most feared out of all punishments?
4. What is Decree 303, and what spurs its placement?
5. Maruja and Beatriz are the last of the ten people taken hostage. What spurs the decision to abduct these last two when the kidnappers already have eight hostages?
6. Maruja's daughter, Alexandra, commissions a program that is used to help communicate with her mother. What does this say about the family's connections and class?
7. Maruja is rejuvenated once more while imprisoned. What helps Maruja begin to look after herself again?
8. The decrees are supposed to be the main topic of the negotiations between Escobar and the government. When Decree 303 comes out complying with Escobar's capitulation policy extension, he only releases one hostage and keeps two. Why does Escobar keep the hostages despite his "acceptance" of the latest decree?
9. Hernando Santos is seventy-eight years old and has had five bypass surgeries when Francisco is abducted. How does he react and what does this say about his character?
10. During Maruja's and Beatriz' imprisonment, there is a time when the sub machine guns are available to the women. However, they both decide without a word that they will not use it to escape. Why would the women decide not to try and escape despite this opportunity?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)