|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reply is given when Maruja asks who the kidnappers are?
(a) Virgilio Barco.
(b) New Liberalism.
2. Why do the kidnappers take Maruja and Beatriz to a second hiding place?
(a) Maruja whispers too loudly that she knows where they may be.
(b) The police learn the kidnappers' escape route, so they must leave.
(c) Beatriz figures out their location when she looks out a bathroom window.
(d) To confuse the women further.
3. What does the letter sent from the Extraditables to Turbay and Santos threaten if they do not receive what they want?
(a) The killings of their children.
(b) More abductions.
(c) Assassination of the president.
(d) Bombings and assassinations.
4. When are Maruja and Beatriz kidnapped?
(a) August 30.
(b) November 27.
(c) November 7.
(d) October 31.
5. How do the kidnappers learn Beatriz's identity?
(a) Through a radio announcement.
(b) Marina tells them.
(c) From a television news report.
(d) Maruja tells them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who remains after the series of hostage releases in late 1990?
2. Who is the first president to allow extradition of Colombian nationals?
3. Who is the first to be kidnapped in the string of related abductions?
4. How do the kidnappers get Maruja and Beatriz?
5. According to the head of the National Police, why is there an armed raid that rescues Diana and Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. The President is called on for help during these abductions. President Gaviria does not feel he can give what the families and kidnappers are asking for. What is being asked of President Gaviria, and why is he resistant to give in to these demands?
2. Who are the Ochoa brothers and describe their importance to the hostages?
3. Maruja's daughter, Alexandra, commissions a program that is used to help communicate with her mother. What does this say about the family's connections and class?
4. Guido Parra is no longer Escobar's negotiating lawyer and has dropped out of the picture. What happens to Guido Parra and why?
5. Why do the kidnappers choose hostages who are media and government related?
6. Escobar promises to release Maruja and Pacho. There are various sources, but Villamizar is ecstatic. One reporter notes with surprise that Alberto can be so trusting. What makes this promise from Escobar believable despite previous promises?
7. When Beatriz is first imprisoned, the radio announces she is a physical therapist, but the guards think she is a psychotherapist. They refuse to let her write for fear that she is composing a way to make them all go mad. What does this say about the guards?
8. Sometime after Beatriz is released, Escobar notes that he needs Maruja more than ever. Why does Escobar rely on Maruja as a hostage more than other hostages?
9. In detail, describe how Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz take in the fact that they remain hostages into the New Year.
10. Alberto Villamizar begins to have communiqués with Escobar when Parra is no longer in the picture as mediator. How do these communiqués begin and end? What results come from them?
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)