|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the noted men that turn themselves in after Decree 3030, what is the biggest influence that causes them to surrender?
(a) A sign from the Holy Infant.
(b) The fear of extradition.
(c) The women in the family.
(d) The fear of execution.
2. What does the Extraditables' lawyer want for his clients in terms of treatment?
(a) Minimum punishment if they turn themselves in.
(c) A safe security prison.
(d) Political treatment as the guerrillas get them.
3. Why do the kidnappers take Maruja and Beatriz to a second hiding place?
(a) Beatriz figures out their location when she looks out a bathroom window.
(b) The police learn the kidnappers' escape route, so they must leave.
(c) Maruja whispers too loudly that she knows where they may be.
(d) To confuse the women further.
4. When Azucena is released, what does she give Nydia Quintero?
(a) A minicasette from Diana.
(b) A letter from Diana.
(c) A letter from Don Pacho.
(d) A gold chain and cross from Diana.
5. From the list below, which is one example of the relaxed freedom given to Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz?
(a) They can stand without asking for permission.
(b) They can go to the bathroom when they wish.
(c) They can talk freely in regular voice volumes.
(d) They can request certain meals a few times a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the first person freed?
2. In Dr. Guerrero's state with his wife kidnapped, what does he decide to do?
3. How do the guards react to knowing it is Maruja's birthday?
4. What does Escobar propose in one of his letters to his lawyer when in negotiations with the Notables?
5. Who is allowed to visit Marina and Beatriz in January?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Maruja's and Beatriz' imprisonment, there is a time when the sub machine guns are available to the women. However, they both decide without a word that they will not use it to escape. Why would the women decide not to try and escape despite this opportunity?
2. What is Decree 303, and what spurs its placement?
3. When Pacho learns he is about to be released, he looks over all his notes and tears up all but three of them. He also saves the letters he wrote to his family. Why does he tear all his works up?
4. Beatriz is abducted my mistake. Why does she stay, and what does this say about her character?
5. Who are the Ochoa brothers and describe their importance to the hostages?
6. More is revealed about Alberto Villamizar as the book progresses. Write about Alberto's honor and how he follows his word.
7. Maruja is released first to be on time before the 7:30 evening news. Pacho's release is scheduled in time for the 9:00 pm news. Why are their releases scheduled in time with the news?
8. Why do the kidnappers abduct family members rather than the actual politicians or other influential people?
9. Why do the kidnappers choose hostages who are media and government related?
10. Francisco Santos makes a mini-cassette to prove that he remains alive. Describe his character on the videotape and how it shows what Santos believes in.
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)