|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first family member to arrive at the scene of Maruja's and Beatriz's abduction?
(a) Alberto Villamizar, Maruja's husband.
(b) Dr. Pedro Guerrero, Beatriz's husband.
(c) Germán Montoya, Marina's brother.
(d) Alexandra, Maruja's daughter.
2. How do the kidnappers get Maruja and Beatriz?
(a) The kidnappers crash into Maruja's car and quickly grab the women.
(b) The kidnappers wait for a red light to whisk the women into another vehicle.
(c) The kidnappers grab the women as they walk to their car after work.
(d) The kidnappers grab the women when they exit the car to enter Maruja's home.
3. Why is Germán Montoya an important man?
(a) He helps write the drug trafficking laws.
(b) He is responsible for the M-19 downfall.
(c) He had been Secretary General to the President.
(d) He is the man that ousted the Virgilio Barco government.
4. How do Escobar's men treat Maruja's and Beatriz's guards?
(a) The guards are pretty autonomous.
(b) As if they are high in rank.
(c) As if they are prisoners too.
(d) They guards are given nice suits and fancy watches.
5. What is Marina's condition when she is called by the guards to get ready to leave?
(a) Full of anticipation of release.
(c) Oblivious to the threat of being a hostage.
(d) Ready and waiting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maruja use to help ease her anxiety during the car ride to the hiding place?
2. What is Manuel Perez famous for?
3. According to the head of the National Police, why is there an armed raid that rescues Diana and Richard?
4. Why do the kidnappers take Maruja and Beatriz to a second hiding place?
5. How do the kidnappers learn Beatriz's identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pacho as he tries to escape and what he feels when he fails.
2. The large group of six hostages is the media group from Crìpton. At first, they are separated into groups of three, then two. What is the purpose of the separation if they remain in the same area?
3. Escobar threatens to dynamite Cartagena but decides to cancel it. How is this catastrophe avoided?
4. Guido Parra is no longer Escobar's negotiating lawyer and has dropped out of the picture. What happens to Guido Parra and why?
5. Alberto Villamizar is Maruja's husband. What is his reaction to the kidnapping?
6. The hostages are imprisoned, but on occasions, there are exceptions to the rules. What acts show some sympathy from the kidnappers? How does this make the hostages feel?
7. The guards who watch over Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz are excessively strict, but in about a month, they are able to relax a little on the rules. Why do the guards start off by being strict?
8. The Extraditables want new laws that will keep them safe from extradition. Why is extradition most feared out of all punishments?
9. Alberto Villamizar begins to have communiqués with Escobar when Parra is no longer in the picture as mediator. How do these communiqués begin and end? What results come from them?
10. More is revealed about Alberto Villamizar as the book progresses. Write about Alberto's honor and how he follows his word.
This section contains 1,737 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)