|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two things that give Marina and Maruja consolation while imprisoned?
(a) Cigarettes and magazines.
(b) Breakfast and cigarettes.
(c) Coffee and cigarettes.
(d) Fresh air time and coffee.
2. Who remains after the series of hostage releases in late 1990?
(a) Diana, Marina, Maruja, Beatriz, Richard, and Francisco Santos.
(b) Diana, Richard, Marina, Maruja, Hero and Francisco.
(c) Diana, Maruja, Marina, Beatriz, Juan, and Richard.
(d) Marina, Maruja, Beatriz and Francisco Santos.
3. The guards watching Diana and her crew can be described as _____________.
(a) Always calm.
(b) Uneducated farmhands.
(d) Boys and men in poor condition.
4. Maruja and Beatriz see who at their second hiding place?
(a) Germán Montoya.
(b) Marina Montoya.
(c) Marìa Santiago.
(d) Alvaro Diego.
5. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
(a) Offer non-extradition to all who come forth at any time.
(b) Investigate possibilities of assassinating Escobar.
(c) Send a message to Escobar that he will not yield.
(d) Change the capitulation policy date in the decree.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what game does Diana compare the negotiations?
2. Why is Germán Montoya an important man?
3. In Dr. Guerrero's state with his wife kidnapped, what does he decide to do?
4. When Diana's crew learns of Maruja's abduction, how do they feel?
5. What is different about Diana and her crew's location compared to the other hostages' hiding places?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marina Montoya's situation as it is introduced in Chapter One.
2. During Maruja's and Beatriz' imprisonment, there is a time when the sub machine guns are available to the women. However, they both decide without a word that they will not use it to escape. Why would the women decide not to try and escape despite this opportunity?
3. What is Decree 303, and what spurs its placement?
4. When Beatriz is first imprisoned, the radio announces she is a physical therapist, but the guards think she is a psychotherapist. They refuse to let her write for fear that she is composing a way to make them all go mad. What does this say about the guards?
5. Describe what life is like for Escobar after he surrenders.
6. Describe Pacho as he tries to escape and what he feels when he fails.
7. The large group of six hostages is the media group from Crìpton. At first, they are separated into groups of three, then two. What is the purpose of the separation if they remain in the same area?
8. The abductions are very well planned. Choose two abductions and describe in detail how the kidnappings occurred successfully.
9. There are decrees passed by the Constituent Assembly that deal with drug trafficking. However, when the terms are not agreeable, no one heeds their messages and laws. How do the citizens go about rejecting a decree? What gives them that ability?
10. Describe Maruja's and Beatriz's initial reaction to their kidnapping.
This section contains 1,657 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)