|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What last favor does Escobar ask of Alberto when they depart?
(a) To tell Maruja that Escobar is sorry.
(b) To tell Maza Marquez that Escobar would love to meet with him sometime.
(c) To thank President Gaviria for his patience.
(d) For Alberto to calm Escobar's mother and wife.
2. What does Pacho want to take with him from his hostage hideout?
(a) A chess piece from one of his favorite guards.
(b) A magazine that he feels chronicles the hostage story very well.
(c) A good luck futbol that the guards and he used to play with.
(d) The chain that held him in his bed.
3. How old is Escobar when he is imprisoned?
4. When Maruja is to be released, how much advance notice is she given?
(a) There is no warning.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) Several hours.
5. What does the majordomo tell Maruja when he hands her a radio?
(a) Diana is dead.
(b) Beatriz is well.
(c) He is not responsible for what she hears.
(d) Marina is dead.
6. What causes Damaris to leave the house?
(a) The guards are too drunk and rowdy for her.
(b) The majordomo pushes her out a window.
(c) She leaves with the children to visit her ailing mother.
(d) She is appalled at the treatment of Maruja.
7. How does Beatriz find out about Marina's death?
(a) Dr. Guerrero tells Beatriz he is happy she did not end up like Marina.
(b) Beatriz asks her guards in the car.
(c) Beatriz asks for Marina's phone number.
(d) Beatriz hears it on the evening news.
8. What opportunity for possible freedom arises when Gorilla is having chest pains?
(a) Gorilla asks Maruja to find the majordomo for help.
(b) The second guard sends Beatriz to the pharmacy for medicine.
(c) The second guard asks for the women's help to bring Gorilla to the hospital.
(d) Maruja and Beatrix have access to submachine guns.
9. What is Maruja's reaction to the communiqué concerning her impending release?
(a) She is in shock.
(b) She is ecstatic.
(c) She is doubtful.
(d) She does not believe it to be true.
10. In preparation for Beatriz's release, what does Maruja do?
(a) With Damaris' help, have a dinner of meat and potatoes instead of lentils.
(b) With Damaris' help, get Beatriz flowers as a gift.
(c) Ask Beatriz to bring back devised codes for the radio and television.
(d) Dress up and put on make-up for a release celebration.
11. What mysteriously arrives at Villamizar's door after life has seemingly returned to normal?
(a) Maruja's purse.
(b) A letter from Escobar's mother.
(c) A letter from Escobar.
(d) Maruja's rings.
12. What stops Andrés from seeing his mother immediately?
(a) He has to fight his way through a throng of reporters.
(b) Lots of car troubles.
(c) A police checkpoint stops him from going further.
(d) His anxiety.
13. What encourages Escobar to continue communiqués with Villamizar?
(a) Active investigations into the Elite Corps.
(b) Don Fabio vouches for Villamizar.
(c) Villamizar is a powerful politician in the Constituent Assembly.
(d) Villamizar and President Gaviria are observed as close friends.
14. What does Alberto personally offer in exchange for Maruja's freedom?
(b) A personal prison in Itagüí.
(c) To support Escobar's family when he goes to prison.
(d) A personal talk with President Gaviria.
15. What shocks Beatriz and Maruja the night Beatriz leaves?
(a) Damaris is angry Beatriz has to go.
(b) Their reflections in the mirror.
(c) Beatriz' clothes are tight-fitting.
(d) One of the guards cries when Beatriz hugs him goodbye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing that can break Maruja's bond with the nicer set of guards?
2. What does Jonás tell Maruja and Beatriz before he leaves duty?
3. What does Escobar do to prove his war with Marquez is over?
4. What belief do both Pacho's wife and Escobar follow that influences their outlook of the future?
5. What message do the Santos' send Pacho in "El Tiempo" when they hear he will be released soon?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)