|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Maruja's and Beatriz's guard shows the most iciness?
2. What causes Damaris to leave the house?
(a) She is appalled at the treatment of Maruja.
(b) The majordomo pushes her out a window.
(c) She leaves with the children to visit her ailing mother.
(d) The guards are too drunk and rowdy for her.
3. What television program is the first to announce the release?
(a) The 7:30 evening news.
(d) Alexandra's program.
4. What happens that gives Pacho an opportunity to escape?
(a) A guard unknowingly drops a knife under Pacho's bed.
(b) All the guards leave him to watch a futbol championship game.
(c) A night guard passes out before he can chain Pacho to the bed.
(d) Pacho sees a weak spot in the bathroom window that he believes he can break through.
5. What remark does Escobar say about "Colombia Wants Them Back"?
(a) He respects their call for human rights.
(b) He finds the program selfish for focusing only on the rich and famous.
(c) He tells the producers the program is useless.
(d) He says he hears them, but they are not factors in the decision.
6. In 1991, about how many murders occurs in Medellín each day?
7. What dramatic move does Escobar perform when he meets Pataquiva?
(a) Hugs the man.
(b) Politely introduces himself as if they were in business.
(c) Slowly takes out the bullets from his ankle pistol.
(d) Slowly shakes his hand and silently nods.
8. How does don Fabio receive Villamizar's request for help?
(a) Don Fabio completely supports him.
(b) Don Fabio immediately refuses involvement.
(c) Don Fabio is hesitant that Alberto is the right man.
(d) Don Fabio believes Escobar will no longer listen to his advice.
9. What is one thing that can break Maruja's bond with the nicer set of guards?
(a) Her zealous religiousness.
(b) Her inability to play Nintendo.
(c) Her atheism.
(d) Her judging character.
10. What stops Maruja's thoughts of an escape through the courtyard?
(a) She sees an armed guard right outside.
(b) The man in black Marina once saw is real to Maruja.
(c) The German shepherd is trained to bark at her.
(d) Two guards now take walks with her instead of just Damaris.
11. What mysteriously arrives at Villamizar's door after life has seemingly returned to normal?
(a) Maruja's purse.
(b) A letter from Escobar.
(c) A letter from Escobar's mother.
(d) Maruja's rings.
12. What encourages Escobar to continue communiqués with Villamizar?
(a) Don Fabio vouches for Villamizar.
(b) Active investigations into the Elite Corps.
(c) Villamizar is a powerful politician in the Constituent Assembly.
(d) Villamizar and President Gaviria are observed as close friends.
13. What does Maruja threaten to do if she does not receive a radio and television?
(a) Stop eating.
(b) Stop talking to the majordomo and Damaris.
(c) Stop taking her medicines.
(d) To yell at the top of her lungs.
14. What opportunity for possible freedom arises when Gorilla is having chest pains?
(a) The second guard sends Beatriz to the pharmacy for medicine.
(b) Maruja and Beatrix have access to submachine guns.
(c) Gorilla asks Maruja to find the majordomo for help.
(d) The second guard asks for the women's help to bring Gorilla to the hospital.
15. How old is Escobar when he is imprisoned?
Short Answer Questions
1. What negotiation does Escobar initiate on his own?
2. What dilemma do judges often face in Medellín?
3. What is Maruja's reaction to the communiqué concerning her impending release?
4. What does Alberto personally offer in exchange for Maruja's freedom?
5. Who goes through a social change from a fearful victim to public star?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)