|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the "El Especador," what new demand is Escobar asking for?
(a) Exile of Maza Marquez.
(b) A new prisoner director.
(c) A new Constituent Assembly vote.
(d) That Villamizar be Escobar's government liaison.
2. Who visits the prison to approve it before Escobar's surrender?
(a) President Gaviria.
(b) Rafael Pardo.
(c) Villamizar and the Monkey.
(d) Luis Jorge Pataquiva, the prison director.
3. Why does Maruja fear the idea of carpeting the room?
(a) She believes it will create more mold and make her sick.
(b) She is afraid more hostages will be taken and imprisoned with her.
(c) She is no longer used to changes of any kind.
(d) She believes it means she will remain there a lot longer.
4. What does Jonás tell Maruja and Beatriz before he leaves duty?
(a) Marina is dead.
(b) A rescue mission saved Richard.
(c) He believes they will survive the situation.
(d) Diana Turbay is dead.
5. In 1991, about how many murders occurs in Medellín each day?
6. What do the guards use to hide Pacho's face as they drive to his release point?
(a) A book.
(b) A ski mask.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A makeshift hood from an old sweat suit.
7. What dramatic move does Escobar perform when he meets Pataquiva?
(a) Politely introduces himself as if they were in business.
(b) Hugs the man.
(c) Slowly takes out the bullets from his ankle pistol.
(d) Slowly shakes his hand and silently nods.
8. With whom is Escobar trying to make contact in order to negotiate?
(a) The government.
(b) Alberto Villamizar.
(c) The Monkey.
(d) Don Fabio.
9. Which of Maruja's and Beatriz's guard shows the most iciness?
10. What does President Gaviria do first thing Monday morning after news of the possible release comes out Sunday?
(a) Listens to radio newscasts.
(b) Meets with Hernando Santos.
(c) Meets with Rafael Pardo.
(d) Meets with Alberto Villamizar.
11. What mysteriously arrives at Villamizar's door after life has seemingly returned to normal?
(a) A letter from Escobar.
(b) Maruja's purse.
(c) A letter from Escobar's mother.
(d) Maruja's rings.
12. How does don Fabio receive Villamizar's request for help?
(a) Don Fabio completely supports him.
(b) Don Fabio is hesitant that Alberto is the right man.
(c) Don Fabio believes Escobar will no longer listen to his advice.
(d) Don Fabio immediately refuses involvement.
13. What is Escobar's main negotiation issue with only Maruja and Pacho left as hostages?
(a) The safety of the Medellín boys in the slums.
(b) Security of his money while he is imprisoned.
(c) Safety of his family when he surrenders.
(d) A prison he is willing to surrender to.
14. What stops Maruja's thoughts of an escape through the courtyard?
(a) Two guards now take walks with her instead of just Damaris.
(b) The German shepherd is trained to bark at her.
(c) The man in black Marina once saw is real to Maruja.
(d) She sees an armed guard right outside.
15. What negotiation does Escobar initiate on his own?
(a) He asks President Gaviria for amnesty for Maruja's and Pacho's release.
(b) He requests that Hernando publish two texts in exchange for Pacho.
(c) He wants Villamizar to represent him as his negotiator with the government in exchange for Maruja's release.
(d) He asks don Fabio to speak on his behalf in exchange for money to care for the Ochoa women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for the numerous checkpoints seen around the city as Beatriz is driven to her release point?
2. What dilemma do judges often face in Medellín?
3. What television program is the first to announce the release?
4. What is Maruja's reaction to the communiqué concerning her impending release?
5. Where do the police believe Maruja is located?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)