|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Escobar do to prove his war with Marquez is over?
(a) Escobar sends information about where his explosives are kept.
(b) Escobar orders the boys of Medellín to stop killing the police.
(c) Escobar sends a public communiqué apologizing to Maza Marquez.
(d) Escobar hands over information regarding his drug trafficking routes.
2. Who goes through a social change from a fearful victim to public star?
(a) Pacho's wife.
(c) Martha Nieves.
(d) Dr. Guerrero.
3. What message do the Santos' send Pacho in "El Tiempo" when they hear he will be released soon?
(a) An article about keeping hope alive.
(b) A picture of Pacho's family in his home with a spot saved for him.
(c) A family picture of Hernando with Pacho's wife and kids.
(d) A column about freedom.
4. What happens that gives Pacho an opportunity to escape?
(a) Pacho sees a weak spot in the bathroom window that he believes he can break through.
(b) A guard unknowingly drops a knife under Pacho's bed.
(c) All the guards leave him to watch a futbol championship game.
(d) A night guard passes out before he can chain Pacho to the bed.
5. What does President Gaviria do first thing Monday morning after news of the possible release comes out Sunday?
(a) Meets with Hernando Santos.
(b) Meets with Rafael Pardo.
(c) Listens to radio newscasts.
(d) Meets with Alberto Villamizar.
6. Where do Villamizar and the Monkey meet Escobar for his surrender?
(a) In front of the prison.
(b) At La Loma.
(c) At Escobar's estate.
7. In preparation for Beatriz's release, what does Maruja do?
(a) Dress up and put on make-up for a release celebration.
(b) With Damaris' help, have a dinner of meat and potatoes instead of lentils.
(c) Ask Beatriz to bring back devised codes for the radio and television.
(d) With Damaris' help, get Beatriz flowers as a gift.
8. What mysteriously arrives at Villamizar's door after life has seemingly returned to normal?
(a) A letter from Escobar.
(b) Maruja's rings.
(c) Maruja's purse.
(d) A letter from Escobar's mother.
9. What negotiation does Escobar initiate on his own?
(a) He asks President Gaviria for amnesty for Maruja's and Pacho's release.
(b) He asks don Fabio to speak on his behalf in exchange for money to care for the Ochoa women.
(c) He wants Villamizar to represent him as his negotiator with the government in exchange for Maruja's release.
(d) He requests that Hernando publish two texts in exchange for Pacho.
10. What does "Doctor" suggest Maruja do when they talk?
(a) Write Alberto Villamizar a letter.
(b) Write Escobar a letter.
(c) Ask the majordomo nicely for better treatment.
(d) Take walks to clear her mind.
11. What do Gloria Pachon and Villamizar ask of the police?
(a) For protection when they go see Escobar.
(b) A month's truce to allow contact with Escobar.
(c) An internal investigation to satisfy Escobar.
(d) To press on the Medellín slums even harder to send a message to Escobar.
12. With whom is Escobar trying to make contact in order to negotiate?
(a) The government.
(b) The Monkey.
(c) Alberto Villamizar.
(d) Don Fabio.
13. Father Herreros offers additional help to President Gaviria in regards to what other Colombian issue?
(a) The Cali drug cartel.
(b) Picking up the slums of Medellín and other cities.
(c) Manuel Perez from the Army of National Liberation (ELN).
(d) Urban guerrillas from Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
14. When Maruja is to be released, how much advance notice is she given?
(a) Several hours.
(b) There is no warning.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) 24 hours.
15. What stops Andrés from seeing his mother immediately?
(a) He has to fight his way through a throng of reporters.
(b) A police checkpoint stops him from going further.
(c) His anxiety.
(d) Lots of car troubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maruja's reaction to the communiqué concerning her impending release?
2. Who visits the prison to approve it before Escobar's surrender?
3. Which of Maruja's and Beatriz's guard shows the most iciness?
4. Where is Beatriz when Maruja sees her on television?
5. How do Escobar's personal guards view Father Herreros?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)