|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cries for Marina's absence the first night she is gone?
2. Why does Maruja fear the idea of carpeting the room?
(a) She is afraid more hostages will be taken and imprisoned with her.
(b) She believes it will create more mold and make her sick.
(c) She believes it means she will remain there a lot longer.
(d) She is no longer used to changes of any kind.
3. Which of Maruja's and Beatriz's guard shows the most iciness?
4. What shocks Beatriz and Maruja the night Beatriz leaves?
(a) Beatriz' clothes are tight-fitting.
(b) Their reflections in the mirror.
(c) One of the guards cries when Beatriz hugs him goodbye.
(d) Damaris is angry Beatriz has to go.
5. What negotiation does Escobar initiate on his own?
(a) He asks don Fabio to speak on his behalf in exchange for money to care for the Ochoa women.
(b) He asks President Gaviria for amnesty for Maruja's and Pacho's release.
(c) He wants Villamizar to represent him as his negotiator with the government in exchange for Maruja's release.
(d) He requests that Hernando publish two texts in exchange for Pacho.
6. What is Escobar's army to do when he surrenders?
(a) They are tried separately for their crimes.
(b) They plan to leave the country a day before Escobar's date of surrender.
(c) The main captains are to surrender and be imprisoned with him.
(d) They are free to go since there is no direct evidence linked to them.
7. What surprise do the reporters and Pacho's family get when they see Pacho?
(a) He is in tears despite his known stoicism.
(b) He is more broken in spirit than expected.
(c) He is speechless despite his known loquaciousness.
(d) He is fatter and more spirited than expected.
8. What stops Maruja's thoughts of an escape through the courtyard?
(a) The man in black Marina once saw is real to Maruja.
(b) The German shepherd is trained to bark at her.
(c) Two guards now take walks with her instead of just Damaris.
(d) She sees an armed guard right outside.
9. What do Gloria Pachon and Villamizar ask of the police?
(a) To press on the Medellín slums even harder to send a message to Escobar.
(b) For protection when they go see Escobar.
(c) An internal investigation to satisfy Escobar.
(d) A month's truce to allow contact with Escobar.
10. When is the only time Pacho Santos is required to remain quiet?
(a) When Escobar calls the house to check on the guards.
(b) When an important futbol game is on.
(c) At every 7:30 evening news.
(d) When the landlady comes by for the monthly rent.
11. What dilemma do judges often face in Medellín?
(a) Uphold the law and send family members to prison or quit the position.
(b) Threats to buy into drug traffickers' bribes or be killed.
(c) Let a drug trafficker free or allow his family to be killed.
(d) Comply with a law that allows drug traffickers free or overstep their power and imprison them.
12. In preparation for Beatriz's release, what does Maruja do?
(a) With Damaris' help, have a dinner of meat and potatoes instead of lentils.
(b) Dress up and put on make-up for a release celebration.
(c) With Damaris' help, get Beatriz flowers as a gift.
(d) Ask Beatriz to bring back devised codes for the radio and television.
13. What does Pacho want to take with him from his hostage hideout?
(a) A chess piece from one of his favorite guards.
(b) The chain that held him in his bed.
(c) A magazine that he feels chronicles the hostage story very well.
(d) A good luck futbol that the guards and he used to play with.
14. How does don Fabio receive Villamizar's request for help?
(a) Don Fabio immediately refuses involvement.
(b) Don Fabio is hesitant that Alberto is the right man.
(c) Don Fabio completely supports him.
(d) Don Fabio believes Escobar will no longer listen to his advice.
15. Where do the police believe Maruja is located?
(a) In the city of Medellín.
(b) Near the border of Ecuador.
(c) In the city of Bogotá.
(d) Among the jungle farmlands outside of Medellín.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops Andrés from seeing his mother immediately?
2. What does Maruja threaten to do if she does not receive a radio and television?
3. How does Alberto Villamizar prepare for his reunion with Maruja?
4. With whom is Escobar trying to make contact in order to negotiate?
5. What encourages Escobar to continue communiqués with Villamizar?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)