|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the nicer guards ask of Maruja when she leaves?
(a) That she pray for them to get out of their bad lives.
(b) That she visits them in Medellín sometime.
(c) That she watches over her sons.
(d) That she uses this experience to give back to the poor.
2. Father Herreros offers additional help to President Gaviria in regards to what other Colombian issue?
(a) The Cali drug cartel.
(b) Urban guerrillas from Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
(c) Picking up the slums of Medellín and other cities.
(d) Manuel Perez from the Army of National Liberation (ELN).
3. Where do Villamizar and the Monkey meet Escobar for his surrender?
(a) At La Loma.
(c) At Escobar's estate.
(d) In front of the prison.
4. What stops Pacho from considering suicide?
(a) Rereading a letter he wrote to his wife while imprisoned.
(b) A deep conversation with one of the guards.
(c) A column in "El Tiempo" specifically telling Pacho not to think about it.
(d) A picture of his family in the paper.
5. Who cries for Marina's absence the first night she is gone?
6. What rumor begins to spread near the end of January?
(a) Two hostages will be released.
(b) One hostage will be released in exchange for their spouse.
(c) Escobar is done with negotiations.
(d) Two hostages will be killed.
7. What is one thing that confirms Maruja's thoughts about Marina's ending?
(a) The guards are not sullen when Beatriz leaves like the day Marina left.
(b) They put Beatriz' hood on with the eyeholes forward instead of backwards.
(c) Majordomo offers to return the television when Beatriz leaves.
(d) When Beatriz leaves, the boss is more light-hearted in demeanor.
8. What stops Maruja's thoughts of an escape through the courtyard?
(a) The man in black Marina once saw is real to Maruja.
(b) She sees an armed guard right outside.
(c) The German shepherd is trained to bark at her.
(d) Two guards now take walks with her instead of just Damaris.
9. What shocks Beatriz and Maruja the night Beatriz leaves?
(a) One of the guards cries when Beatriz hugs him goodbye.
(b) Their reflections in the mirror.
(c) Beatriz' clothes are tight-fitting.
(d) Damaris is angry Beatriz has to go.
10. What happens that gives Pacho an opportunity to escape?
(a) Pacho sees a weak spot in the bathroom window that he believes he can break through.
(b) A night guard passes out before he can chain Pacho to the bed.
(c) All the guards leave him to watch a futbol championship game.
(d) A guard unknowingly drops a knife under Pacho's bed.
11. What mysteriously arrives at Villamizar's door after life has seemingly returned to normal?
(a) Maruja's purse.
(b) A letter from Escobar's mother.
(c) A letter from Escobar.
(d) Maruja's rings.
12. Where is Beatriz when Maruja sees her on television?
(a) In a public speech with Hernando Santos.
(b) In Maruja's home.
(c) On Alexandra's program.
(d) In Beatriz's home.
13. What dramatic move does Escobar perform when he meets Pataquiva?
(a) Hugs the man.
(b) Slowly takes out the bullets from his ankle pistol.
(c) Slowly shakes his hand and silently nods.
(d) Politely introduces himself as if they were in business.
14. What opportunity for possible freedom arises when Gorilla is having chest pains?
(a) The second guard sends Beatriz to the pharmacy for medicine.
(b) The second guard asks for the women's help to bring Gorilla to the hospital.
(c) Gorilla asks Maruja to find the majordomo for help.
(d) Maruja and Beatrix have access to submachine guns.
15. What is the reason for the numerous checkpoints seen around the city as Beatriz is driven to her release point?
(a) The Extraditables bombed numerous police stations.
(b) Elite Corps efforts to find the abductors.
(c) The Cali cartel bombs the area to create confusion for the Extraditables.
(d) Bombings by urban guerrillas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beatriz find out about Marina's death?
2. What stops Andrés from seeing his mother immediately?
3. What does Alberto personally offer in exchange for Maruja's freedom?
4. What does President Gaviria do first thing Monday morning after news of the possible release comes out Sunday?
5. What does Maruja threaten to do if she does not receive a radio and television?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)