|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maruja share with the new guards?
(a) The devised codes from her family on radio and television.
(b) Her dream that they will grow up straight.
(c) Stories about her sons.
2. What is the reason for the numerous checkpoints seen around the city as Beatriz is driven to her release point?
(a) The Extraditables bombed numerous police stations.
(b) Bombings by urban guerrillas.
(c) Elite Corps efforts to find the abductors.
(d) The Cali cartel bombs the area to create confusion for the Extraditables.
3. The attitude shown during days of waiting for Father Herreros and Escobar to meet can be described as __________.
(a) Impatient for Escobar.
(b) Anxious for the Monkey.
(c) Impatient for Father Herreros.
(d) Relieving for Villamizar.
4. What does President Gaviria do first thing Monday morning after news of the possible release comes out Sunday?
(a) Listens to radio newscasts.
(b) Meets with Rafael Pardo.
(c) Meets with Alberto Villamizar.
(d) Meets with Hernando Santos.
5. How is Escobar located after he escapes?
(a) Maza Marquez determination to find Escobar.
(b) Escobar turns himself back in.
(c) A phone call is traced between Escobar and his son.
(d) Escobar's son gives up his location.
6. When Maruja is to be released, how much advance notice is she given?
(a) Several hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) There is no warning.
(d) Five minutes.
7. With whom is Escobar trying to make contact in order to negotiate?
(a) Don Fabio.
(b) The Monkey.
(c) The government.
(d) Alberto Villamizar.
8. What do Gloria Pachon and Villamizar ask of the police?
(a) For protection when they go see Escobar.
(b) An internal investigation to satisfy Escobar.
(c) A month's truce to allow contact with Escobar.
(d) To press on the Medellín slums even harder to send a message to Escobar.
9. What does Jonás tell Maruja and Beatriz before he leaves duty?
(a) Diana Turbay is dead.
(b) He believes they will survive the situation.
(c) Marina is dead.
(d) A rescue mission saved Richard.
10. Who cries for Marina's absence the first night she is gone?
11. How does Escobar receive Father Herreros request to meet?
(a) Escobar accepts the Father's request at the Father's convenience.
(b) He tells don Fabio he is anxious but excited to meet the Father.
(c) He tells Villamizar to bring the Father to La Loma so they can meet.
(d) He sends a communiqué saying he is honored but is unable to meet.
12. What last favor does Escobar ask of Alberto when they depart?
(a) To tell Maza Marquez that Escobar would love to meet with him sometime.
(b) For Alberto to calm Escobar's mother and wife.
(c) To thank President Gaviria for his patience.
(d) To tell Maruja that Escobar is sorry.
13. How does Alberto Villamizar prepare for his reunion with Maruja?
(a) He redecorates the house for her homecoming.
(b) He buys dozens of flowers and favorite foods.
(c) He invites all her friends and family to their home to welcome her back.
(d) He dresses up and waits with the children at their home.
14. What negotiation does Escobar initiate on his own?
(a) He requests that Hernando publish two texts in exchange for Pacho.
(b) He wants Villamizar to represent him as his negotiator with the government in exchange for Maruja's release.
(c) He asks don Fabio to speak on his behalf in exchange for money to care for the Ochoa women.
(d) He asks President Gaviria for amnesty for Maruja's and Pacho's release.
15. What rumor begins to spread near the end of January?
(a) Escobar is done with negotiations.
(b) Two hostages will be killed.
(c) One hostage will be released in exchange for their spouse.
(d) Two hostages will be released.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1991, about how many murders occurs in Medellín each day?
2. What does "Doctor" suggest Maruja do when they talk?
3. What belief do both Pacho's wife and Escobar follow that influences their outlook of the future?
4. What dramatic move does Escobar perform when he meets Pataquiva?
5. What are the guards' orders if there is a rescue mission for Pacho Santos?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)