|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What last favor does Escobar ask of Alberto when they depart?
(a) To tell Maza Marquez that Escobar would love to meet with him sometime.
(b) To tell Maruja that Escobar is sorry.
(c) For Alberto to calm Escobar's mother and wife.
(d) To thank President Gaviria for his patience.
2. What dilemma do judges often face in Medellín?
(a) Let a drug trafficker free or allow his family to be killed.
(b) Threats to buy into drug traffickers' bribes or be killed.
(c) Comply with a law that allows drug traffickers free or overstep their power and imprison them.
(d) Uphold the law and send family members to prison or quit the position.
3. Where does Father Herreros start his involvement concerning Escobar?
(a) With Alberto Villamizar.
(b) With President Gaviria.
(c) With the Monkey.
(d) With the Ochoa brothers.
4. What message do the Santos' send Pacho in "El Tiempo" when they hear he will be released soon?
(a) A column about freedom.
(b) A picture of Pacho's family in his home with a spot saved for him.
(c) A family picture of Hernando with Pacho's wife and kids.
(d) An article about keeping hope alive.
5. What is Escobar's main negotiation issue with only Maruja and Pacho left as hostages?
(a) Security of his money while he is imprisoned.
(b) A prison he is willing to surrender to.
(c) Safety of his family when he surrenders.
(d) The safety of the Medellín boys in the slums.
6. What spurs Escobar's transfer to another prison?
(a) The Cali cartel tries to infiltrate the prison and kill Escobar.
(b) The U.S. convinces President Gaviria to extradite Escobar.
(c) Escobar's family requests he moves closer to the family home.
(d) Escobar turns his prison into a nice hacienda.
7. When Escobar first begins his business with the drug cartel, how do the people of Medellín view them?
(a) They look at him as their Robin Hood.
(b) They are angry at the rise in crime.
(c) They are afraid to say anything.
(d) With curiosity but complacency.
8. What remark does Escobar say about "Colombia Wants Them Back"?
(a) He tells the producers the program is useless.
(b) He finds the program selfish for focusing only on the rich and famous.
(c) He says he hears them, but they are not factors in the decision.
(d) He respects their call for human rights.
9. Why does Maruja fear the idea of carpeting the room?
(a) She believes it will create more mold and make her sick.
(b) She is afraid more hostages will be taken and imprisoned with her.
(c) She is no longer used to changes of any kind.
(d) She believes it means she will remain there a lot longer.
10. What belief do both Pacho's wife and Escobar follow that influences their outlook of the future?
(a) Divine signs from the Holy Infant.
(b) Astrological signs.
(c) Superstitious behaviors such as breaking a mirror bring bad luck.
(d) Reading tea leaves.
11. Who goes through a social change from a fearful victim to public star?
(a) Dr. Guerrero.
(c) Pacho's wife.
(d) Martha Nieves.
12. What encourages Escobar to continue communiqués with Villamizar?
(a) Don Fabio vouches for Villamizar.
(b) Villamizar is a powerful politician in the Constituent Assembly.
(c) Active investigations into the Elite Corps.
(d) Villamizar and President Gaviria are observed as close friends.
13. What does President Gaviria do first thing Monday morning after news of the possible release comes out Sunday?
(a) Listens to radio newscasts.
(b) Meets with Alberto Villamizar.
(c) Meets with Hernando Santos.
(d) Meets with Rafael Pardo.
14. What mysteriously arrives at Villamizar's door after life has seemingly returned to normal?
(a) Maruja's rings.
(b) A letter from Escobar's mother.
(c) A letter from Escobar.
(d) Maruja's purse.
15. What stops Maruja's thoughts of an escape through the courtyard?
(a) The man in black Marina once saw is real to Maruja.
(b) Two guards now take walks with her instead of just Damaris.
(c) She sees an armed guard right outside.
(d) The German shepherd is trained to bark at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops Andrés from seeing his mother immediately?
2. The attitude shown during days of waiting for Father Herreros and Escobar to meet can be described as __________.
3. What shocks Beatriz and Maruja the night Beatriz leaves?
4. What does Maruja threaten to do if she does not receive a radio and television?
5. What opportunity for possible freedom arises when Gorilla is having chest pains?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)