|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing that confirms Maruja's thoughts about Marina's ending?
(a) The guards are not sullen when Beatriz leaves like the day Marina left.
(b) They put Beatriz' hood on with the eyeholes forward instead of backwards.
(c) When Beatriz leaves, the boss is more light-hearted in demeanor.
(d) Majordomo offers to return the television when Beatriz leaves.
2. Father Herreros offers additional help to President Gaviria in regards to what other Colombian issue?
(a) The Cali drug cartel.
(b) Manuel Perez from the Army of National Liberation (ELN).
(c) Picking up the slums of Medellín and other cities.
(d) Urban guerrillas from Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
3. What stops Maruja's thoughts of an escape through the courtyard?
(a) Two guards now take walks with her instead of just Damaris.
(b) The man in black Marina once saw is real to Maruja.
(c) She sees an armed guard right outside.
(d) The German shepherd is trained to bark at her.
4. What opportunity for possible freedom arises when Gorilla is having chest pains?
(a) Gorilla asks Maruja to find the majordomo for help.
(b) The second guard asks for the women's help to bring Gorilla to the hospital.
(c) The second guard sends Beatriz to the pharmacy for medicine.
(d) Maruja and Beatrix have access to submachine guns.
5. What concerns Escobar when watching "God's Minute"?
(a) Father Herreros condemns Escobar's followers for not being able to think for themselves.
(b) Father Herreros apparently calls Escobar an unrepentant pornographer.
(c) Father Herreros announces his retirement from the show.
(d) Father Herreros condemns the Medellín boys for killing police officers.
6. How does don Fabio receive Villamizar's request for help?
(a) Don Fabio immediately refuses involvement.
(b) Don Fabio is hesitant that Alberto is the right man.
(c) Don Fabio completely supports him.
(d) Don Fabio believes Escobar will no longer listen to his advice.
7. When is the only time Pacho Santos is required to remain quiet?
(a) When the landlady comes by for the monthly rent.
(b) When Escobar calls the house to check on the guards.
(c) When an important futbol game is on.
(d) At every 7:30 evening news.
8. What rumor begins to spread near the end of January?
(a) One hostage will be released in exchange for their spouse.
(b) Two hostages will be killed.
(c) Two hostages will be released.
(d) Escobar is done with negotiations.
9. What is Maruja's reaction to the communiqué concerning her impending release?
(a) She does not believe it to be true.
(b) She is doubtful.
(c) She is ecstatic.
(d) She is in shock.
10. Maruja's new guards that come in February can be described as ____________.
(b) Worse than the other guards.
11. What does Maruja threaten to do if she does not receive a radio and television?
(a) To yell at the top of her lungs.
(b) Stop eating.
(c) Stop talking to the majordomo and Damaris.
(d) Stop taking her medicines.
12. Where is Beatriz when Maruja sees her on television?
(a) In Maruja's home.
(b) On Alexandra's program.
(c) In Beatriz's home.
(d) In a public speech with Hernando Santos.
13. What mysteriously arrives at Villamizar's door after life has seemingly returned to normal?
(a) Maruja's rings.
(b) A letter from Escobar.
(c) Maruja's purse.
(d) A letter from Escobar's mother.
14. What does Jonás tell Maruja and Beatriz before he leaves duty?
(a) He believes they will survive the situation.
(b) A rescue mission saved Richard.
(c) Diana Turbay is dead.
(d) Marina is dead.
15. What dramatic move does Escobar perform when he meets Pataquiva?
(a) Hugs the man.
(b) Slowly takes out the bullets from his ankle pistol.
(c) Politely introduces himself as if they were in business.
(d) Slowly shakes his hand and silently nods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What negotiation does Escobar initiate on his own?
2. What do the nicer guards ask of Maruja when she leaves?
3. What stops Andrés from seeing his mother immediately?
4. What does "Doctor" suggest Maruja do when they talk?
5. What does Alberto personally offer in exchange for Maruja's freedom?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)