|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops Pacho from considering suicide?
(a) Rereading a letter he wrote to his wife while imprisoned.
(b) A picture of his family in the paper.
(c) A deep conversation with one of the guards.
(d) A column in "El Tiempo" specifically telling Pacho not to think about it.
2. What happens that gives Pacho an opportunity to escape?
(a) A guard unknowingly drops a knife under Pacho's bed.
(b) All the guards leave him to watch a futbol championship game.
(c) A night guard passes out before he can chain Pacho to the bed.
(d) Pacho sees a weak spot in the bathroom window that he believes he can break through.
3. What remark does Escobar say about "Colombia Wants Them Back"?
(a) He respects their call for human rights.
(b) He finds the program selfish for focusing only on the rich and famous.
(c) He says he hears them, but they are not factors in the decision.
(d) He tells the producers the program is useless.
4. Where does Father Herreros start his involvement concerning Escobar?
(a) With President Gaviria.
(b) With Alberto Villamizar.
(c) With the Monkey.
(d) With the Ochoa brothers.
5. What do Gloria Pachon and Villamizar ask of the police?
(a) For protection when they go see Escobar.
(b) An internal investigation to satisfy Escobar.
(c) To press on the Medellín slums even harder to send a message to Escobar.
(d) A month's truce to allow contact with Escobar.
6. How does Escobar receive Father Herreros request to meet?
(a) He sends a communiqué saying he is honored but is unable to meet.
(b) Escobar accepts the Father's request at the Father's convenience.
(c) He tells don Fabio he is anxious but excited to meet the Father.
(d) He tells Villamizar to bring the Father to La Loma so they can meet.
7. Why does Villamizar want to meet Escobar?
(a) To see if the man really exists.
(b) To plea for Maruja's and Pacho's return.
(c) To shoot him point blank.
(d) To convince him to surrender.
8. What rumor begins to spread near the end of January?
(a) One hostage will be released in exchange for their spouse.
(b) Two hostages will be killed.
(c) Two hostages will be released.
(d) Escobar is done with negotiations.
9. What is Maruja's reaction to the communiqué concerning her impending release?
(a) She is ecstatic.
(b) She is doubtful.
(c) She does not believe it to be true.
(d) She is in shock.
10. What surprise do the reporters and Pacho's family get when they see Pacho?
(a) He is fatter and more spirited than expected.
(b) He is more broken in spirit than expected.
(c) He is in tears despite his known stoicism.
(d) He is speechless despite his known loquaciousness.
11. Where is Beatriz when Maruja sees her on television?
(a) In Beatriz's home.
(b) On Alexandra's program.
(c) In Maruja's home.
(d) In a public speech with Hernando Santos.
12. In 1991, about how many murders occurs in Medellín each day?
13. What does Jonás tell Maruja and Beatriz before he leaves duty?
(a) Marina is dead.
(b) A rescue mission saved Richard.
(c) He believes they will survive the situation.
(d) Diana Turbay is dead.
14. What last favor does Escobar ask of Alberto when they depart?
(a) For Alberto to calm Escobar's mother and wife.
(b) To tell Maruja that Escobar is sorry.
(c) To thank President Gaviria for his patience.
(d) To tell Maza Marquez that Escobar would love to meet with him sometime.
15. What message do the Santos' send Pacho in "El Tiempo" when they hear he will be released soon?
(a) A picture of Pacho's family in his home with a spot saved for him.
(b) A column about freedom.
(c) A family picture of Hernando with Pacho's wife and kids.
(d) An article about keeping hope alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Doctor" suggest Maruja do when they talk?
2. What shocks Beatriz and Maruja the night Beatriz leaves?
3. What television program is the first to announce the release?
4. How do Escobar's personal guards view Father Herreros?
5. What does President Gaviria do first thing Monday morning after news of the possible release comes out Sunday?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)