|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message do the Santos' send Pacho in "El Tiempo" when they hear he will be released soon?
(a) A family picture of Hernando with Pacho's wife and kids.
(b) An article about keeping hope alive.
(c) A picture of Pacho's family in his home with a spot saved for him.
(d) A column about freedom.
2. How do Escobar's personal guards view Father Herreros?
(a) They are suspicious of his involvement.
(b) They respect him.
(c) They are split in their opinion of him.
(d) They think he is a madman.
3. What happens that gives Pacho an opportunity to escape?
(a) Pacho sees a weak spot in the bathroom window that he believes he can break through.
(b) A guard unknowingly drops a knife under Pacho's bed.
(c) A night guard passes out before he can chain Pacho to the bed.
(d) All the guards leave him to watch a futbol championship game.
4. When Maruja is to be released, how much advance notice is she given?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) There is no warning.
(d) Several hours.
5. How does Alberto Villamizar prepare for his reunion with Maruja?
(a) He buys dozens of flowers and favorite foods.
(b) He dresses up and waits with the children at their home.
(c) He redecorates the house for her homecoming.
(d) He invites all her friends and family to their home to welcome her back.
6. What does President Gaviria do first thing Monday morning after news of the possible release comes out Sunday?
(a) Meets with Hernando Santos.
(b) Meets with Rafael Pardo.
(c) Meets with Alberto Villamizar.
(d) Listens to radio newscasts.
7. How does don Fabio receive Villamizar's request for help?
(a) Don Fabio believes Escobar will no longer listen to his advice.
(b) Don Fabio is hesitant that Alberto is the right man.
(c) Don Fabio completely supports him.
(d) Don Fabio immediately refuses involvement.
8. What dramatic move does Escobar perform when he meets Pataquiva?
(a) Politely introduces himself as if they were in business.
(b) Hugs the man.
(c) Slowly takes out the bullets from his ankle pistol.
(d) Slowly shakes his hand and silently nods.
9. When is the only time Pacho Santos is required to remain quiet?
(a) At every 7:30 evening news.
(b) When an important futbol game is on.
(c) When the landlady comes by for the monthly rent.
(d) When Escobar calls the house to check on the guards.
10. What is Escobar's main negotiation issue with only Maruja and Pacho left as hostages?
(a) The safety of the Medellín boys in the slums.
(b) Security of his money while he is imprisoned.
(c) Safety of his family when he surrenders.
(d) A prison he is willing to surrender to.
11. What does the majordomo tell Maruja when he hands her a radio?
(a) Diana is dead.
(b) He is not responsible for what she hears.
(c) Marina is dead.
(d) Beatriz is well.
12. In 1991, about how many murders occurs in Medellín each day?
13. What rumor begins to spread near the end of January?
(a) Escobar is done with negotiations.
(b) One hostage will be released in exchange for their spouse.
(c) Two hostages will be killed.
(d) Two hostages will be released.
14. Where do the police believe Maruja is located?
(a) In the city of Bogotá.
(b) Near the border of Ecuador.
(c) In the city of Medellín.
(d) Among the jungle farmlands outside of Medellín.
15. What does Pacho want to take with him from his hostage hideout?
(a) A good luck futbol that the guards and he used to play with.
(b) A magazine that he feels chronicles the hostage story very well.
(c) The chain that held him in his bed.
(d) A chess piece from one of his favorite guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Escobar first begins his business with the drug cartel, how do the people of Medellín view them?
2. How does Escobar receive Father Herreros request to meet?
3. What is one thing that can break Maruja's bond with the nicer set of guards?
4. What is Escobar's army to do when he surrenders?
5. What is the reason for the numerous checkpoints seen around the city as Beatriz is driven to her release point?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)