|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does President Gaviria do first thing Monday morning after news of the possible release comes out Sunday?
(a) Meets with Rafael Pardo.
(b) Meets with Hernando Santos.
(c) Meets with Alberto Villamizar.
(d) Listens to radio newscasts.
2. What mysteriously arrives at Villamizar's door after life has seemingly returned to normal?
(a) A letter from Escobar's mother.
(b) Maruja's purse.
(c) A letter from Escobar.
(d) Maruja's rings.
3. What remark does Escobar say about "Colombia Wants Them Back"?
(a) He says he hears them, but they are not factors in the decision.
(b) He finds the program selfish for focusing only on the rich and famous.
(c) He tells the producers the program is useless.
(d) He respects their call for human rights.
4. What do Gloria Pachon and Villamizar ask of the police?
(a) For protection when they go see Escobar.
(b) A month's truce to allow contact with Escobar.
(c) An internal investigation to satisfy Escobar.
(d) To press on the Medellín slums even harder to send a message to Escobar.
5. What television program is the first to announce the release?
(a) The 7:30 evening news.
(d) Alexandra's program.
6. Who visits the prison to approve it before Escobar's surrender?
(a) Villamizar and the Monkey.
(b) Luis Jorge Pataquiva, the prison director.
(c) President Gaviria.
(d) Rafael Pardo.
7. According to the "El Especador," what new demand is Escobar asking for?
(a) A new Constituent Assembly vote.
(b) Exile of Maza Marquez.
(c) That Villamizar be Escobar's government liaison.
(d) A new prisoner director.
8. What dilemma do judges often face in Medellín?
(a) Comply with a law that allows drug traffickers free or overstep their power and imprison them.
(b) Let a drug trafficker free or allow his family to be killed.
(c) Uphold the law and send family members to prison or quit the position.
(d) Threats to buy into drug traffickers' bribes or be killed.
9. How does Escobar receive Father Herreros request to meet?
(a) He sends a communiqué saying he is honored but is unable to meet.
(b) He tells Villamizar to bring the Father to La Loma so they can meet.
(c) Escobar accepts the Father's request at the Father's convenience.
(d) He tells don Fabio he is anxious but excited to meet the Father.
10. Father Herreros offers additional help to President Gaviria in regards to what other Colombian issue?
(a) Picking up the slums of Medellín and other cities.
(b) The Cali drug cartel.
(c) Urban guerrillas from Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
(d) Manuel Perez from the Army of National Liberation (ELN).
11. What stops Maruja's thoughts of an escape through the courtyard?
(a) She sees an armed guard right outside.
(b) Two guards now take walks with her instead of just Damaris.
(c) The German shepherd is trained to bark at her.
(d) The man in black Marina once saw is real to Maruja.
12. What is Escobar's main negotiation issue with only Maruja and Pacho left as hostages?
(a) A prison he is willing to surrender to.
(b) The safety of the Medellín boys in the slums.
(c) Security of his money while he is imprisoned.
(d) Safety of his family when he surrenders.
13. What spurs Escobar's transfer to another prison?
(a) Escobar turns his prison into a nice hacienda.
(b) The Cali cartel tries to infiltrate the prison and kill Escobar.
(c) Escobar's family requests he moves closer to the family home.
(d) The U.S. convinces President Gaviria to extradite Escobar.
14. Who cries for Marina's absence the first night she is gone?
15. Maruja's new guards that come in February can be described as ____________.
(b) Worse than the other guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maruja threaten to do if she does not receive a radio and television?
2. How old is Escobar when he is imprisoned?
3. What shocks Beatriz and Maruja the night Beatriz leaves?
4. In preparation for Beatriz's release, what does Maruja do?
5. What causes Damaris to leave the house?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)