|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes of the negotiations between the Notables and Escobar's negotiator for Santos and Turbay?
(a) A series of offers that gives indications of possible release.
(b) A counter-offer that leaves families fearing for the hostages' lives.
(c) They never occur because Escobar calls them off.
(d) A series of offers and counteroffers that arrives at nothing.
2. Who exposes Escobar when he attempts to infiltrate the New Liberalism Party?
(a) Alberto Villamizar.
(b) Luis Carlos Galán.
(c) Rodrigo lara Bonilla.
(d) Manuel Perez.
3. What is the major underlying problem that disturbs the government's ability to control drug trafficking and guerrilla warfare?
(a) Lack of an effective judicial system.
(b) Corruption within the government.
(c) Economic turmoil that makes drug trafficking tempting.
(d) Politicians fear of assassination, so they never strengthen laws.
4. How do the kidnappers get Maruja and Beatriz?
(a) The kidnappers grab the women as they walk to their car after work.
(b) The kidnappers wait for a red light to whisk the women into another vehicle.
(c) The kidnappers grab the women when they exit the car to enter Maruja's home.
(d) The kidnappers crash into Maruja's car and quickly grab the women.
5. What is Beatriz's initial response to the attack?
(a) She throws her jewelry at them, thinking it is a burglary.
(b) She spits at the first man and starts running.
(c) She is paralyzed and cannot move.
(d) She attempts to hide on the floor of the car.
6. How is Diana distracted after her separation from Azucena?
(a) She is told she can write letters to her husband.
(b) She is told she can write apology letters to her crew's families.
(c) She is told she will have an interview with Escobar.
(d) She turns to praying to the Holy Infant.
7. What does Marina see the in the laundry area during her nightly walks with Monk?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A man in black watching her.
(c) Monk's mask as a skull.
(d) The German Shepherd with a devilish grin on her.
8. What major drug trafficker(s) accept Decree 3030?
(a) Nieves brothers.
(b) Don Pacho.
(c) Priscos brothers.
(d) The Ochoa brothers.
9. What is Manuel Perez famous for?
(a) He is Escobar's right hand man.
(b) He is the director of "El Tiempo."
(c) He is the leader of the Army of National Liberation.
(d) He is the co-founder of New Liberalism.
10. How does Nydia achieve contact with Escobar?
(a) Through the Ochoa sisters.
(b) Through his sister-in-law.
(c) Through Guido Parra.
(d) Through the Ochoa brothers.
11. How does Marina spend her New Year's Eve?
(a) Quietly in the corner.
(b) She dances all night without music.
(c) She drinks and tries drugs with the guards.
(d) Laughing and joking with the guards.
12. How do the guards prevent Maruja from learning about the retaliation for the Priscos' death?
(a) New guards are brought in that know nothing about the past.
(b) The guards take away the radio and television.
(c) The guards stop bringing in the newspapers.
(d) The guards do not allow television and radio for a week.
13. How do the guards discover that it is Maruja's birthday?
(a) During a television show by her children.
(b) From one of Maruja's optimistic games.
(c) Beatriz and Marina sing "Happy Birthday" to Maruja.
(d) Maruja makes a fuss about it.
14. What does Maruja use to help ease her anxiety during the car ride to the hiding place?
(b) Sunflower seeds.
(c) Cardamom seeds.
15. What does President Gaviria make clear to Maza Márquez about rescue missions?
(a) Plans for a rescue mission should begin right away.
(b) No rescue missions without safety of arms.
(c) There will be no rescue attempts at any cost.
(d) No armed rescue missions without family consent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two things that give Marina and Maruja consolation while imprisoned?
2. What does everyone call the man who seems to lead the kidnapping?
3. Where is Marina's body buried after it is found and autopsied?
4. The feelings of the kidnappers during the abduction can be described as __________.
5. Who is retrieved safely through a rescue mission?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)