|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major drug trafficker(s) accept Decree 3030?
(a) Nieves brothers.
(b) Don Pacho.
(c) Priscos brothers.
(d) The Ochoa brothers.
2. What does Maruja give herself to keep her sanity?
(a) A time for prayer to the Holy Infant once a day.
(b) A cigarette as soon as she wakes up to the gloomy mornings.
(c) Two hours of solitude a day.
(d) One-on-one conversations with Beatriz to keep focus on reality.
3. What is Marina's condition when she is called by the guards to get ready to leave?
(a) Oblivious to the threat of being a hostage.
(c) Ready and waiting.
(d) Full of anticipation of release.
4. From what does Marina suffer by the time Maruja and Beatriz meet her?
(c) Hearing voices.
5. The kidnappings are bargains to negotiate what?
(a) Escobar's freedom.
(b) A drug trafficker's ability to leave Colombia.
(c) Escobar's ability to gain office in government.
(d) A drug trafficker's punishment.
6. In front of whom does Villamizar feel safe enough to drink?
(a) Dr. Guerrero.
(c) Rafael Pardo.
(d) No one.
7. How do the Prisco brothers play a role in the gang life?
(a) They are in charge of all the hostages during their imprisonment.
(b) They are the masterminds behind the drug cartel to the U.S.
(c) They are the only ones who know where Escobar resides.
(d) They are accused of assassinations and being the brains behind the current abductions.
8. What occurs as a consequence of the Priscos' execution?
(a) There is an order to retaliate against the police in Medellín.
(b) There is an order to kill Pacho Santos.
(c) There is an order to kill Marina.
(d) Escobar refuses further negotiations for the time being.
9. What is Manuel Perez famous for?
(a) He is the co-founder of New Liberalism.
(b) He is Escobar's right hand man.
(c) He is the director of "El Tiempo."
(d) He is the leader of the Army of National Liberation.
10. What does Diana begin to do when she learns her kidnapping is not an isolated event?
(a) She tries to get more personal with the head of the household.
(b) She starts a diary.
(c) She gives secret messages to the random women that visit the house.
(d) She gives up hope.
11. If the drug traffickers turn themselves in, what law gives drug traffickers immunity from the punishment that most of them fear?
(a) National Narcotics Statute of 1985.
(b) Decree 3030.
(c) Decree 2047.
(d) Decree 303.
12. What is Beatriz's initial response to the attack?
(a) She is paralyzed and cannot move.
(b) She attempts to hide on the floor of the car.
(c) She throws her jewelry at them, thinking it is a burglary.
(d) She spits at the first man and starts running.
13. What is the major underlying problem that disturbs the government's ability to control drug trafficking and guerrilla warfare?
(a) Politicians fear of assassination, so they never strengthen laws.
(b) Lack of an effective judicial system.
(c) Economic turmoil that makes drug trafficking tempting.
(d) Corruption within the government.
14. Who does Villamizar call for help?
(a) Manuel Perez, a friend of Alberto's.
(b) Alexandra, Maruja's daughter.
(c) César Gaviria, the President.
(d) Julio César, another hostage's family member.
15. What reality hits Luis Guillermo of Pablo Escobar's power?
(a) Escobar's message to Luis via Rosalía.
(b) The size of Escobar's entourage when Luis meets him.
(c) The random taxi driver in Medellín works for Escobar.
(d) A dead girl lying on the side of the road in Medellín.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does the German journalist give Nydia?
2. Who is the first person freed?
3. What sign of mental stress, previously seen in Marina, does Maruja now display?
4. What does the letter sent from the Extraditables to Turbay and Santos threaten if they do not receive what they want?
5. Who is the first to know that Diana and Santos' kidnappings are the works of Escobar?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)