|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marina see the in the laundry area during her nightly walks with Monk?
(a) A ghost.
(b) Monk's mask as a skull.
(c) A man in black watching her.
(d) The German Shepherd with a devilish grin on her.
2. How many men are directly involved with the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
3. In Dr. Guerrero's state with his wife kidnapped, what does he decide to do?
(a) Concentrate on his work even more.
(b) See a psychotherapist.
(c) Move in with his family for support.
(d) Close his practice for the time being.
4. Who handles the negotiations for Escobar?
(a) Guido Parra Montoya.
(b) Manuel Perez.
(c) Juan Gomez.
(d) Don Pacho.
5. Maruja and Beatriz see who at their second hiding place?
(a) Marìa Santiago.
(b) Marina Montoya.
(c) Alvaro Diego.
(d) Germán Montoya.
6. Why is Beatriz a target?
(a) Beatriz is the aunt of the Secretary General.
(b) Beatriz's kidnapping is not intentional.
(c) Beatriz is the wife of a well-known politician.
(d) Beatriz is the mistress of Albert Villamizar, a famous politician.
7. When Azucena is released, what does she give Nydia Quintero?
(a) A letter from Don Pacho.
(b) A letter from Diana.
(c) A gold chain and cross from Diana.
(d) A minicasette from Diana.
8. How do the guards react to knowing it is Maruja's birthday?
(a) They are sympathetic.
(b) They do not acknowledge it.
(c) They give her extra lentils for lunch.
(d) They tell Maruja to stop whining about it.
9. Of the noted men that turn themselves in after Decree 3030, what is the biggest influence that causes them to surrender?
(a) The fear of extradition.
(b) A sign from the Holy Infant.
(c) The women in the family.
(d) The fear of execution.
10. The Santos family learns Pacho is in the northern part of Bogota. How do they know this?
(a) Pacho reads a headline from a local edition newspaper on a minicassette to prove he's alive.
(b) Hernando's friend recognizes Pacho's voice coming from an abandoned house.
(c) Pacho talks of clues in a minicassette sent to the family to prove he's alive.
(d) Guido Parra slips during a negotiation with the Notables.
11. What does Maruja give herself to keep her sanity?
(a) A time for prayer to the Holy Infant once a day.
(b) A cigarette as soon as she wakes up to the gloomy mornings.
(c) One-on-one conversations with Beatriz to keep focus on reality.
(d) Two hours of solitude a day.
12. How do the guards discover that it is Maruja's birthday?
(a) Maruja makes a fuss about it.
(b) Beatriz and Marina sing "Happy Birthday" to Maruja.
(c) From one of Maruja's optimistic games.
(d) During a television show by her children.
13. How is Diana distracted after her separation from Azucena?
(a) She turns to praying to the Holy Infant.
(b) She is told she can write letters to her husband.
(c) She is told she will have an interview with Escobar.
(d) She is told she can write apology letters to her crew's families.
14. What occurs as a consequence of the Priscos' execution?
(a) There is an order to kill Marina.
(b) There is an order to kill Pacho Santos.
(c) Escobar refuses further negotiations for the time being.
(d) There is an order to retaliate against the police in Medellín.
15. According to the head of the National Police, why is there an armed raid that rescues Diana and Richard?
(a) It is by the orders of Maza Márquez.
(b) It is by the orders of Rafael Pardo.
(c) Gaviria orders the operation because of information from anonymous phone calls.
(d) The raid is meant to seize Escobar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Marina think she will not leave alive?
2. How many guards are there for Maruja, Beatriz, and the other woman held together in one room?
3. Which hostage is no longer worth a bargain?
4. What does President Gaviria make clear to Maza Márquez about rescue missions?
5. Why does Escobar reject the law that gives him immunity from his most feared punishment?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)