|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maruja and Beatriz see who at their second hiding place?
(a) Marina Montoya.
(b) Marìa Santiago.
(c) Germán Montoya.
(d) Alvaro Diego.
2. Where is the first hiding place located?
(a) La Calera.
(b) La Castellanos.
(c) La Tercera.
(d) El Calle.
3. What is most surprising about Santos' kidnapping?
(a) Everyone sees, but no one says a word due to fear.
(b) It is done in the middle of a busy street.
(c) It succeeds despite the number of cops at the scene.
(d) It is done in the middle of his workplace.
4. What is Marina's condition when she is called by the guards to get ready to leave?
(a) Oblivious to the threat of being a hostage.
(b) Full of anticipation of release.
(c) Ready and waiting.
5. What does Maruja use to help ease her anxiety during the car ride to the hiding place?
(a) Cardamom seeds.
(b) Sunflower seeds.
6. What does the letter sent from the Extraditables to Turbay and Santos threaten if they do not receive what they want?
(a) More abductions.
(b) Assassination of the president.
(c) The killings of their children.
(d) Bombings and assassinations.
7. What does Maruja give herself to keep her sanity?
(a) A cigarette as soon as she wakes up to the gloomy mornings.
(b) A time for prayer to the Holy Infant once a day.
(c) One-on-one conversations with Beatriz to keep focus on reality.
(d) Two hours of solitude a day.
8. Who is retrieved safely through a rescue mission?
(a) Francisco Santos.
(b) Diana Turbay.
(c) Richard Becerro.
(d) Maruja and Beatriz.
9. What is the major underlying problem that disturbs the government's ability to control drug trafficking and guerrilla warfare?
(a) Lack of an effective judicial system.
(b) Politicians fear of assassination, so they never strengthen laws.
(c) Economic turmoil that makes drug trafficking tempting.
(d) Corruption within the government.
10. After the Notables negotiation failure, what news does Pardo give Villamizar to have something to look forward to?
(a) Pardo's department receives a minicassette from Maruja.
(b) President Gaviria is putting more forces to work to help negotiate with Parra.
(c) Another decree is being worked on to amend the first rejected one.
(d) Nydia has leads on Escobar is location.
11. How do the Prisco brothers play a role in the gang life?
(a) They are in charge of all the hostages during their imprisonment.
(b) They are accused of assassinations and being the brains behind the current abductions.
(c) They are the masterminds behind the drug cartel to the U.S.
(d) They are the only ones who know where Escobar resides.
12. How does Marina spend her New Year's Eve?
(a) Laughing and joking with the guards.
(b) She drinks and tries drugs with the guards.
(c) Quietly in the corner.
(d) She dances all night without music.
13. When is the first person freed?
(a) November 26.
(b) December 12.
(c) December 7.
(d) November 22.
14. The Santos family learns Pacho is in the northern part of Bogota. How do they know this?
(a) Pacho reads a headline from a local edition newspaper on a minicassette to prove he's alive.
(b) Guido Parra slips during a negotiation with the Notables.
(c) Hernando's friend recognizes Pacho's voice coming from an abandoned house.
(d) Pacho talks of clues in a minicassette sent to the family to prove he's alive.
15. How does law enforcement identify the body of the first hostage executed?
(a) The up market clothes and well-groomed nails.
(b) Dental records.
(c) A tattoo.
(d) Hair similarities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does President Gaviria make clear to Maza Márquez about rescue missions?
2. What major term is Decree 3030 missing that angers Escobar?
3. Of the noted men that turn themselves in after Decree 3030, what is the biggest influence that causes them to surrender?
4. What makes Marina think she will not leave alive?
5. What finally gets Escobar to surrender?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)