|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Beatriz's initial response to the attack?
(a) She attempts to hide on the floor of the car.
(b) She is paralyzed and cannot move.
(c) She spits at the first man and starts running.
(d) She throws her jewelry at them, thinking it is a burglary.
2. The feelings of the kidnappers during the abduction can be described as __________.
3. When is the first person freed?
(a) December 7.
(b) November 26.
(c) November 22.
(d) December 12.
4. How do the kidnappers get Maruja and Beatriz?
(a) The kidnappers wait for a red light to whisk the women into another vehicle.
(b) The kidnappers grab the women when they exit the car to enter Maruja's home.
(c) The kidnappers grab the women as they walk to their car after work.
(d) The kidnappers crash into Maruja's car and quickly grab the women.
5. After Gaviria's response to the deaths, how do the Extraditables answer?
(a) They will release all remaining hostages.
(b) They will release one hostage.
(c) They request another negotiation.
(d) They will continue with the executions.
6. What does Maruja give herself to keep her sanity?
(a) A cigarette as soon as she wakes up to the gloomy mornings.
(b) One-on-one conversations with Beatriz to keep focus on reality.
(c) A time for prayer to the Holy Infant once a day.
(d) Two hours of solitude a day.
7. Why do the kidnappers take Maruja and Beatriz to a second hiding place?
(a) To confuse the women further.
(b) The police learn the kidnappers' escape route, so they must leave.
(c) Maruja whispers too loudly that she knows where they may be.
(d) Beatriz figures out their location when she looks out a bathroom window.
8. What does Villamizar think of Guido Parra?
(a) That Parra is a crooked opportunist.
(b) That Parra is a brilliant negotiator.
(c) That Parra is a serious man but with no real direction.
(d) That Parra is dangerous for his intelligence of the law.
9. What occurs as a consequence of the Priscos' execution?
(a) There is an order to retaliate against the police in Medellín.
(b) There is an order to kill Marina.
(c) Escobar refuses further negotiations for the time being.
(d) There is an order to kill Pacho Santos.
10. Who is the first to know that Diana and Santos' kidnappings are the works of Escobar?
(a) Former president Turbay.
(b) César Gaviria.
(c) The media.
(d) Hernando Santos.
11. How do the kidnappers learn Beatriz's identity?
(a) From a television news report.
(b) Maruja tells them.
(c) Marina tells them.
(d) Through a radio announcement.
12. Who is the first person freed?
(a) Richard Becerra.
(b) Marina Montoya.
(c) Juan Vitta.
(d) Hero Buss.
13. Who remains after the series of hostage releases in late 1990?
(a) Diana, Marina, Maruja, Beatriz, Richard, and Francisco Santos.
(b) Marina, Maruja, Beatriz and Francisco Santos.
(c) Diana, Maruja, Marina, Beatriz, Juan, and Richard.
(d) Diana, Richard, Marina, Maruja, Hero and Francisco.
14. The hostages' living conditions are __________.
(b) Meticulously clean.
(c) Filled with cockroaches and rats.
(d) Bare and sterile.
15. What does President Gaviria make clear to Maza Márquez about rescue missions?
(a) Plans for a rescue mission should begin right away.
(b) There will be no rescue attempts at any cost.
(c) No rescue missions without safety of arms.
(d) No armed rescue missions without family consent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
2. What is the major underlying problem that disturbs the government's ability to control drug trafficking and guerrilla warfare?
3. How is the first hostage executed by the terrorists?
4. At the end of October, what does Diana learn is distressing Azucena?
5. Maruja and Beatriz see who at their second hiding place?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)