|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state does Villamizar find Hernando Santos and former president Turbay when he visits them for the first time after Maruja's kidnapping?
(a) Santos and Turbay turn to prayer as their only hope.
(b) Santos and Turbay are still in a fervor to find their children.
(c) Santos and Turbay believe their children are already dead.
(d) Santos and Turbay are discouraged.
2. How do the Prisco brothers play a role in the gang life?
(a) They are the masterminds behind the drug cartel to the U.S.
(b) They are accused of assassinations and being the brains behind the current abductions.
(c) They are the only ones who know where Escobar resides.
(d) They are in charge of all the hostages during their imprisonment.
3. How do the kidnappers abduct the first set of people?
(a) The abductors promise them an interview.
(b) The abductors break into each person's individual home in the middle of night.
(c) The abductors hijack their news van.
(d) Manuel Perez captures them during an interview and hands them over.
4. When are Maruja and Beatriz kidnapped?
(a) August 30.
(b) November 7.
(c) November 27.
(d) October 31.
5. Who is the only one to not hide the pessimism of the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
(a) Diego Montaña Cuéllar.
(b) President Gaviria.
(c) Maza Márquez.
(d) Rafael Pardo.
6. The kidnappings are bargains to negotiate what?
(a) A drug trafficker's ability to leave Colombia.
(b) Escobar's ability to gain office in government.
(c) A drug trafficker's punishment.
(d) Escobar's freedom.
7. What reality hits Luis Guillermo of Pablo Escobar's power?
(a) The random taxi driver in Medellín works for Escobar.
(b) Escobar's message to Luis via Rosalía.
(c) The size of Escobar's entourage when Luis meets him.
(d) A dead girl lying on the side of the road in Medellín.
8. Who does Villamizar call for help?
(a) César Gaviria, the President.
(b) Alexandra, Maruja's daughter.
(c) Manuel Perez, a friend of Alberto's.
(d) Julio César, another hostage's family member.
9. How does Nydia view President Gaviria?
(a) She believes he is just as dishonorable as Escobar.
(b) She thinks he is an understanding man.
(c) She thinks he is cold-hearted.
(d) She believes his decisions are hard on her but good for all.
10. What are the two things that give Marina and Maruja consolation while imprisoned?
(a) Cigarettes and magazines.
(b) Breakfast and cigarettes.
(c) Coffee and cigarettes.
(d) Fresh air time and coffee.
11. What is different about Diana and her crew's location compared to the other hostages' hiding places?
(a) Diana and her crew are usually in shacks rather than a house.
(b) Diana and her crew are in the middle of a busy city.
(c) Diana's group is closer to Medellín and not in Bogotá.
(d) Diana and her crew know exactly where they are.
12. What does Villamizar think of Guido Parra?
(a) That Parra is a crooked opportunist.
(b) That Parra is a brilliant negotiator.
(c) That Parra is dangerous for his intelligence of the law.
(d) That Parra is a serious man but with no real direction.
13. What is the major underlying problem that disturbs the government's ability to control drug trafficking and guerrilla warfare?
(a) Economic turmoil that makes drug trafficking tempting.
(b) Corruption within the government.
(c) Politicians fear of assassination, so they never strengthen laws.
(d) Lack of an effective judicial system.
14. What sign of mental stress, previously seen in Marina, does Maruja now display?
(b) Eating disorder.
15. What finally gets Escobar to surrender?
(a) The Ochoa brothers threaten him.
(b) Decree 303.
(c) Escobar's daughter is taken hostage by the law.
(d) Nieves and Quintero are able to convince him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the first hostage executed by the terrorists?
2. What is Juan Vitto prescribed when a doctor visits?
3. The feelings of the kidnappers during the abduction can be described as __________.
4. How do the police know how to reach Beatriz's husband?
5. From the list below, which is one example of the relaxed freedom given to Marina, Maruja, and Beatriz?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)