|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the major underlying problem that disturbs the government's ability to control drug trafficking and guerrilla warfare?
(a) Politicians fear of assassination, so they never strengthen laws.
(b) Corruption within the government.
(c) Lack of an effective judicial system.
(d) Economic turmoil that makes drug trafficking tempting.
2. From what illness does Maruja suffer a month after her abduction?
(a) Heart ailments.
3. Who is the only one to not hide the pessimism of the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
(a) Diego Montaña Cuéllar.
(b) President Gaviria.
(c) Maza Márquez.
(d) Rafael Pardo.
4. What are the hostages given to wear while in hiding?
(a) One long sleeve shirt and long pants.
(b) Sweat suits.
(c) A thin T-shirt and long pants.
(d) Prisoner's overalls.
5. What is Juan Vitto prescribed when a doctor visits?
(b) More reading.
(c) Over the counter ibuprofen.
6. What makes Marina think she will not leave alive?
(a) The boss seems to detest her whenever he visits.
(b) The guards treat her the worst.
(c) The guards did not hide their faces before Maruja and Beatriz arrived.
(d) Marina frustrates the women as well as the guards.
7. What is Marina's condition when she is called by the guards to get ready to leave?
(b) Full of anticipation of release.
(c) Ready and waiting.
(d) Oblivious to the threat of being a hostage.
8. For whom does Maruja work?
(a) She is an actress.
(b) National Radio Network.
(d) Parque Nacional.
9. What finally gets Escobar to surrender?
(a) Nieves and Quintero are able to convince him.
(b) Decree 303.
(c) The Ochoa brothers threaten him.
(d) Escobar's daughter is taken hostage by the law.
10. How do the guards react to knowing it is Maruja's birthday?
(a) They tell Maruja to stop whining about it.
(b) They give her extra lentils for lunch.
(c) They do not acknowledge it.
(d) They are sympathetic.
11. When Diana's crew learns of Maruja's abduction, how do they feel?
(a) They will be saved since more people will work to save them.
(b) Worried for her life.
(d) They will be let go soon since she is more important.
12. Which hostage is no longer worth a bargain?
(b) Francisco Santos.
(c) Diana Turbay.
(d) Marina Montoya.
13. How is Diana distracted after her separation from Azucena?
(a) She is told she can write letters to her husband.
(b) She turns to praying to the Holy Infant.
(c) She is told she will have an interview with Escobar.
(d) She is told she can write apology letters to her crew's families.
14. What sign of mental stress, previously seen in Marina, does Maruja now display?
(a) Eating disorder.
15. Who is the first to be kidnapped in the string of related abductions?
(a) Diana Turbay.
(b) Francisco Santos.
(c) Marina Montoya.
(d) Melina Guevara.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person freed?
2. What do the guards mistake Beatriz's profession to be?
3. What problem does the law face if they capture a drug trafficking terrorist?
4. What does Maruja give herself to keep her sanity?
5. What are the two things that give Marina and Maruja consolation while imprisoned?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)