|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the police know how to reach Beatriz's husband?
(a) A note in her bag says to call him in case of an emergency.
(b) Beatriz and her husband are well-known politicians.
(c) Alberto Villamizar informs them.
(d) Beatriz's husband reaches them first when he hears the news report.
2. Who is the first to know that Diana and Santos' kidnappings are the works of Escobar?
(a) Former president Turbay.
(b) Hernando Santos.
(c) César Gaviria.
(d) The media.
3. What advice does the German journalist give Nydia?
(a) To continue her prayers to the Holy Infant.
(b) To prevent an armed rescue at all costs.
(c) To put greater pressure on the president.
(d) To use the media to get the public on her side.
4. What finally gets Escobar to surrender?
(a) Decree 303.
(b) Escobar's daughter is taken hostage by the law.
(c) Nieves and Quintero are able to convince him.
(d) The Ochoa brothers threaten him.
5. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
(a) Investigate possibilities of assassinating Escobar.
(b) Offer non-extradition to all who come forth at any time.
(c) Send a message to Escobar that he will not yield.
(d) Change the capitulation policy date in the decree.
6. What does the letter sent from the Extraditables to Turbay and Santos threaten if they do not receive what they want?
(a) Bombings and assassinations.
(b) The killings of their children.
(c) Assassination of the president.
(d) More abductions.
7. Why does Escobar reject the law that gives him immunity from his most feared punishment?
(a) He wants to lower maximum imprisonment despite the number of cases.
(b) He wants to rid of the death penalty altogether.
(c) He wants non-extradition offered no matter the situation.
(d) He believes a drug trafficker should only be imprisoned for one sentence.
8. Why do the kidnappers take Maruja and Beatriz to a second hiding place?
(a) Maruja whispers too loudly that she knows where they may be.
(b) The police learn the kidnappers' escape route, so they must leave.
(c) Beatriz figures out their location when she looks out a bathroom window.
(d) To confuse the women further.
9. Who is the first person freed?
(a) Marina Montoya.
(b) Hero Buss.
(c) Richard Becerra.
(d) Juan Vitta.
10. What major term is Decree 3030 missing that angers Escobar?
(a) Extradition issue.
(b) Safety for his family.
(c) Secure prison from his enemies.
(d) Multiple sentences issue.
11. The kidnappings are bargains to negotiate what?
(a) A drug trafficker's punishment.
(b) Escobar's ability to gain office in government.
(c) Escobar's freedom.
(d) A drug trafficker's ability to leave Colombia.
12. Who is the first president to allow extradition of Colombian nationals?
(a) César Gaviria.
(b) Virgilio Barco.
(c) Julio César Turbay.
(d) Belisario Betancur.
13. How do Escobar's men treat Maruja's and Beatriz's guards?
(a) As if they are prisoners too.
(b) As if they are high in rank.
(c) They guards are given nice suits and fancy watches.
(d) The guards are pretty autonomous.
14. When are Maruja and Beatriz kidnapped?
(a) November 27.
(b) August 30.
(c) October 31.
(d) November 7.
15. Maruja and Beatriz see who at their second hiding place?
(a) Germán Montoya.
(b) Alvaro Diego.
(c) Marìa Santiago.
(d) Marina Montoya.
Short Answer Questions
1. In front of whom does Villamizar feel safe enough to drink?
2. When is the first person freed?
3. What becomes of the negotiations between the Notables and Escobar's negotiator for Santos and Turbay?
4. What is different about Diana and her crew's location compared to the other hostages' hiding places?
5. Who handles the negotiations for Escobar?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)