|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marina spend her New Year's Eve?
(a) She drinks and tries drugs with the guards.
(b) Laughing and joking with the guards.
(c) Quietly in the corner.
(d) She dances all night without music.
2. Who does Villamizar call for help?
(a) Alexandra, Maruja's daughter.
(b) César Gaviria, the President.
(c) Julio César, another hostage's family member.
(d) Manuel Perez, a friend of Alberto's.
3. How do the police know how to reach Beatriz's husband?
(a) Alberto Villamizar informs them.
(b) Beatriz's husband reaches them first when he hears the news report.
(c) A note in her bag says to call him in case of an emergency.
(d) Beatriz and her husband are well-known politicians.
4. How does Nydia view President Gaviria?
(a) She believes he is just as dishonorable as Escobar.
(b) She thinks he is an understanding man.
(c) She believes his decisions are hard on her but good for all.
(d) She thinks he is cold-hearted.
5. What complaints do the women in the drug traffickers' family have?
(a) Police brutality.
(b) Unfair punishments for the men in their lives.
(c) Unpredictable behavior seen in Escobar.
(d) Fear for their lives if they talk with Nydia.
6. After Gaviria's response to the deaths, how do the Extraditables answer?
(a) They will continue with the executions.
(b) They request another negotiation.
(c) They will release one hostage.
(d) They will release all remaining hostages.
7. Why is Beatriz a target?
(a) Beatriz is the mistress of Albert Villamizar, a famous politician.
(b) Beatriz's kidnapping is not intentional.
(c) Beatriz is the aunt of the Secretary General.
(d) Beatriz is the wife of a well-known politician.
8. The guards watching Diana and her crew can be described as _____________.
(a) Uneducated farmhands.
(b) Boys and men in poor condition.
(d) Always calm.
9. What becomes of the negotiations between the Notables and Escobar's negotiator for Santos and Turbay?
(a) A counter-offer that leaves families fearing for the hostages' lives.
(b) A series of offers and counteroffers that arrives at nothing.
(c) They never occur because Escobar calls them off.
(d) A series of offers that gives indications of possible release.
10. Who is the first to know that Diana and Santos' kidnappings are the works of Escobar?
(a) The media.
(b) César Gaviria.
(c) Hernando Santos.
(d) Former president Turbay.
11. How does Nydia achieve contact with Escobar?
(a) Through his sister-in-law.
(b) Through Guido Parra.
(c) Through the Ochoa sisters.
(d) Through the Ochoa brothers.
12. For whom does Maruja work?
(b) National Radio Network.
(c) She is an actress.
(d) Parque Nacional.
13. How do Escobar's men treat Maruja's and Beatriz's guards?
(a) As if they are high in rank.
(b) The guards are pretty autonomous.
(c) They guards are given nice suits and fancy watches.
(d) As if they are prisoners too.
14. Who is the only one to not hide the pessimism of the kidnappings of Maruja and Beatriz?
(a) Maza Márquez.
(b) Diego Montaña Cuéllar.
(c) Rafael Pardo.
(d) President Gaviria.
15. What does Gaviria decide to do after the first hostage deaths?
(a) Investigate possibilities of assassinating Escobar.
(b) Send a message to Escobar that he will not yield.
(c) Offer non-extradition to all who come forth at any time.
(d) Change the capitulation policy date in the decree.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the first person freed?
2. Maruja and Beatriz are soon joined by another hostage. When was this person kidnapped?
3. What makes Marina think she will not leave alive?
4. At the end of October, what does Diana learn is distressing Azucena?
5. What does the letter sent from the Extraditables to Turbay and Santos threaten if they do not receive what they want?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)