|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Lucy?
2. What work of art did Tommy create as a joke that began his torment from other students, as described in chapter 2?
3. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
4. What excuse did Miss Emily give for the lack of tokens offered in exchange for the art Madame took away?
5. How long does the narrator recall the secret guard lasting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
2. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
3. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
4. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
5. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
6. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
7. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
8. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
9. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
10. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth? How do they come to understand the truth of their situation? How much time passes between Kathy's time at the Cottage and her next meeting with Ruth? How does Ruth respond when she discovers that Kathy has become her carer? What do they talk about in the beginning of their reunion? Why do they go to see a marooned boat? Who do they take with them? What does this say about the relationship between Ruth and Kathy now?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Tommy and Kathy refuse to go see a carer with the others in chapter 15? What do they spend their time doing? What is significant about the cassette tape they go in search of? What is special about the song Kathy likes on the recording? How does this recording make Kathy feel? Who once saw Kathy listening to this song? What was significant about her watching Kathy dance to the song? What is significant about Tommy's desire to find the recording for Kathy? What does this suggest about Tommy's feelings for Kathy?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)