|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woods?
2. Who suggests that Kathy might be Tommy's next girlfriend in chapter 9?
3. What did Kathy see Miss Lucy doing in a quiet classroom at the beginning of chapter 8?
4. Where is the novel set?
5. What happened in chapter 6 to the tape the narrator hid in her dorm room that contained her favorite song?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
2. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
3. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
4. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
5. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
6. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
7. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
8. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
9. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
10. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
Essay Topic 3
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)