|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writing assignment were the Hailsham students supposed to be working on during their two years at the Cottages?
2. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
3. What does Laura teach the narrator in chapter 7 in order to discourage boys?
4. Where is the novel set?
5. At the end of chapter 4, what does Ruth accuse the narrator of doing all wrong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
2. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
3. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
4. What was the purpose of the secret guard? Who ran it?
5. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
6. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
7. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
8. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
9. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
10. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kathy? What does she do for a living? What is meant by the term carer? What is a donor? How long has Kathy been working at this career? Why does she think she is better at it than others? Is she? Where did Kathy's donor, whom she is caring for at the beginning of the book, grow up? Where did Kathy grow up? How do the two locations compare? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Kathy and Tommy eventually seek out Madame? What do they learn from Madame? How did Tommy seem to know the truth about his life? What does Miss Emily say about Tommy's fits of anger and what those implied about his knowledge of his future? Why do Kathy and Tommy not attempt to run away? Why does Tommy seem accepting of his future? Is Kathy as accepting of her own future?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)