|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator hope she might be able to have more time to listen to her favorite music tape?
2. What is the Lost Corner?
3. What does Ruth give the narrator in chapter 6 to replace her lost tape?
4. What is the narrator doing as she recalls these events from her past, as a student at Hailsham?
5. Who makes fun of Tommy's expressions as he warms up on the sports field with the other boys in chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
2. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
3. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
4. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
5. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
6. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
7. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
8. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
9. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
10. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)