|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
2. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
3. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
4. Why was the narrator kicked out of the secret guard?
5. What does Laura teach the narrator in chapter 7 in order to discourage boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
2. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
3. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
4. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
5. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
6. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
7. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
8. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
9. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
10. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth? How do they come to understand the truth of their situation? How much time passes between Kathy's time at the Cottage and her next meeting with Ruth? How does Ruth respond when she discovers that Kathy has become her carer? What do they talk about in the beginning of their reunion? Why do they go to see a marooned boat? Who do they take with them? What does this say about the relationship between Ruth and Kathy now?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
Essay Topic 3
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)