|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened in chapter 6 to the tape the narrator hid in her dorm room that contained her favorite song?
2. Why is the narrator reluctant to sit beside Tommy in chapter 3 when they meet at the pond?
3. What does the narrator say the students used their tokens on?
4. How many others from their class does the narrator say came to the Cottages in chapter 10?
5. Why did the students at Hailsham love the sports pavilion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
2. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
3. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
4. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
5. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
6. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
7. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
8. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
9. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
10. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
Essay Topic 2
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
Essay Topic 3
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)