|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes does the narrator note about her relationship with Ruby in chapter 11?
2. When does the narrator hope she might be able to have more time to listen to her favorite music tape?
3. Whose departure from Hailsham shocks all the students in chapter 9?
4. What is the point of view of this novel?
5. What happened in chapter 6 to the tape the narrator hid in her dorm room that contained her favorite song?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
2. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
3. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
4. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
5. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
6. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
7. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
8. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
9. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
10. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Tommy and Kathy refuse to go see a carer with the others in chapter 15? What do they spend their time doing? What is significant about the cassette tape they go in search of? What is special about the song Kathy likes on the recording? How does this recording make Kathy feel? Who once saw Kathy listening to this song? What was significant about her watching Kathy dance to the song? What is significant about Tommy's desire to find the recording for Kathy? What does this suggest about Tommy's feelings for Kathy?
Essay Topic 3
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)