|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Songs After Dark?
2. What does the narrator say the students used their tokens on?
3. How does Kathy find herself on Ruth's good books at the end of part one?
4. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
5. What is the name of the narrating character?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
2. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
3. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
4. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
5. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
6. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
7. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
8. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
9. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
10. Upon first meeting Ruth, as described in chapter 4, what do Ruth and Kathy do together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, discuss the following elements as they exist and impact the developing plot in the early chapters of the novel:
3) Point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
Essay Topic 3
What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy talked to him about that helped him curb his anger? Why did this help Tommy curb his anger? What is the relationship between Tommy and Kathy? Why does Tommy often make Kathy his confidant? How does Tommy react when Kathy tries to help him get close to Ruth? What is foreshadowed about this relationship while Tommy and Kathy are still at Hailsham?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)