|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ruth want to know if the narrator likes at the end of chapter 4?
2. What does Laura teach the narrator in chapter 7 in order to discourage boys?
3. What was the Cottages before it became a halfway house for clones?
4. In chapter 11, what does the narrator define courses as?
5. In whose room does Tommy admit in chapter 11 that he saw the narrator looking at similar magazines as the ones he finds her looking at in the boiler room in chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
2. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
3. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
4. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
5. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
6. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
7. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
8. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
9. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
10. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
Essay Topic 2
What are Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth? How do they come to understand the truth of their situation? How much time passes between Kathy's time at the Cottage and her next meeting with Ruth? How does Ruth respond when she discovers that Kathy has become her carer? What do they talk about in the beginning of their reunion? Why do they go to see a marooned boat? Who do they take with them? What does this say about the relationship between Ruth and Kathy now?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)