|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work of art did Tommy create as a joke that began his torment from other students, as described in chapter 2?
2. Where did the narrator and Tommy often meet in secrecy during their years at Hailsham?
3. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
4. What joke do the children at Hailsham make when discussing the electrified fences that often circled the concentration camps during World War II?
5. Who first suggested that Madame was frightened of the students at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
2. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
3. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
4. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
5. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
6. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
7. What was the purpose of the secret guard? Who ran it?
8. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
9. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
10. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)