|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woods?
2. Who does Ruth want to know if the narrator likes at the end of chapter 4?
3. Who makes fun of Tommy's expressions as he warms up on the sports field with the other boys in chapter 1?
4. Why does Ruth ask Kathy to ask Tommy to come back to her in chapter 9?
5. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
2. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
3. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
4. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
5. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
6. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
7. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
8. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
9. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
10. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss the following elements as they exist and impact the developing plot in the early chapters of the novel:
3) Point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss point of view. What point of view is used in this novel? How does this point of view impact the overall tone and feel of the book? How might the novel be different if it had been narrated by Ruth or Tommy or Miss Lucy? How might the novel be different if the author had used a third person point of view?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)