|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter 4, what does Ruth accuse the narrator of doing all wrong?
2. What does the narrator say the students used their tokens on?
3. Why was the narrator kicked out of the secret guard?
4. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
5. What is the name of the narrating character?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
2. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
3. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
4. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
5. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
6. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
7. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
8. Upon first meeting Ruth, as described in chapter 4, what do Ruth and Kathy do together?
9. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
10. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Kathy? What does she do for a living? What is meant by the term carer? What is a donor? How long has Kathy been working at this career? Why does she think she is better at it than others? Is she? Where did Kathy's donor, whom she is caring for at the beginning of the book, grow up? Where did Kathy grow up? How do the two locations compare? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why do Tommy and Kathy refuse to go see a carer with the others in chapter 15? What do they spend their time doing? What is significant about the cassette tape they go in search of? What is special about the song Kathy likes on the recording? How does this recording make Kathy feel? Who once saw Kathy listening to this song? What was significant about her watching Kathy dance to the song? What is significant about Tommy's desire to find the recording for Kathy? What does this suggest about Tommy's feelings for Kathy?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)