|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator doing as she recalls these events from her past, as a student at Hailsham?
2. What does the narrator mentioned she often used for blankets in chapter 11?
3. What book is the narrator reading in chapter 10 that Ruth rudely begins to describe the plot of to her?
4. Who does Ruth want to know if the narrator likes at the end of chapter 4?
5. Why did the narrator believe Ruth to be a good chess player?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
2. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
3. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
4. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
5. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
6. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
7. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
8. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
9. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
10. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
Essay Topic 2
What are Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth? How do they come to understand the truth of their situation? How much time passes between Kathy's time at the Cottage and her next meeting with Ruth? How does Ruth respond when she discovers that Kathy has become her carer? What do they talk about in the beginning of their reunion? Why do they go to see a marooned boat? Who do they take with them? What does this say about the relationship between Ruth and Kathy now?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)