Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are tokens?
2. Who is Miss Geraldine?
3. Why did the students feel Madame was different, odd?
4. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
5. Where did the donor in the narrator's third year grow up, causing her to recall her own childhood at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
2. Why does Rodney and Chrissie detour the group into Woolworth's upon arriving in Norfolk in chapter 14? How do the others feel about this?
3. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
4. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
5. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
6. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
7. In chapter 18, how does Kathy become Ruth's carer? How does Ruth react to this?
8. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
9. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
10. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
Ruth and Kathy have a falling out after returning from Norfolk. What causes Ruth to become unhappy with Kathy? How does she react to this object? Why does she get Kathy to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish and amateurish? Does Kathy really believe this? Why does Ruth tell Tommy this? What happens after this episode? How does Kathy find herself separated from her friends?
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)