|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the narrator believe Ruth to be a good chess player?
2. Where did the narrator and Tommy often meet in secrecy during their years at Hailsham?
3. What is the Lost Corner?
4. What is the narrator doing as she recalls these events from her past, as a student at Hailsham?
5. Who does Ruth want to know if the narrator likes at the end of chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
2. In chapter 22, how does Tommy react to the truth of his life? How does this seem to relate to something Miss Emily said to him?
3. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
4. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
5. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
6. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
7. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
8. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
9. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
10. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
Essay Topic 1
What does Ruth reveal to Kathy after she, Kathy, and Tommy go to the boat? What does Ruth say about the relationship that should have existed between Tommy and Kathy? What does Ruth encourage Tommy and Kathy to seek? What is a deferment? What might it give to Kathy and Tommy? Why does Ruth push this on them? How do they react? Why does Ruth ask Kathy to stop being her carer and become Tommy's carer? Does Kathy take this advice?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Kathy and Tommy eventually seek out Madame? What do they learn from Madame? How did Tommy seem to know the truth about his life? What does Miss Emily say about Tommy's fits of anger and what those implied about his knowledge of his future? Why do Kathy and Tommy not attempt to run away? Why does Tommy seem accepting of his future? Is Kathy as accepting of her own future?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Medical cloning.
This section contains 2,014 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)