|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the secret guards evidence against the conspirators?
2. In chapter 11, what does the narrator define courses as?
3. Why do Peter and Gordon say they want to go to America in chapter 7?
4. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
5. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
2. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
3. Upon first meeting Ruth, as described in chapter 4, what do Ruth and Kathy do together?
4. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
5. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
6. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
7. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
8. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
9. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
10. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth? How do they come to understand the truth of their situation? How much time passes between Kathy's time at the Cottage and her next meeting with Ruth? How does Ruth respond when she discovers that Kathy has become her carer? What do they talk about in the beginning of their reunion? Why do they go to see a marooned boat? Who do they take with them? What does this say about the relationship between Ruth and Kathy now?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Kathy and Tommy eventually seek out Madame? What do they learn from Madame? How did Tommy seem to know the truth about his life? What does Miss Emily say about Tommy's fits of anger and what those implied about his knowledge of his future? Why do Kathy and Tommy not attempt to run away? Why does Tommy seem accepting of his future? Is Kathy as accepting of her own future?
Essay Topic 3
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)