|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator tell the reader unzipping meant to the students at Hailsham in chapter 7?
2. What difference did the narrator begin to note in Tommy during their Senior 2 year, as described in chapter 2?
3. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
4. What is the narrator doing as she recalls these events from her past, as a student at Hailsham?
5. What does Tommy tell the narrator that he thinks Miss Lucy feels the students are not being taught properly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon first meeting Ruth, as described in chapter 4, what do Ruth and Kathy do together?
2. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
3. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
4. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
5. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
6. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
7. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
8. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
9. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
10. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy talked to him about that helped him curb his anger? Why did this help Tommy curb his anger? What is the relationship between Tommy and Kathy? Why does Tommy often make Kathy his confidant? How does Tommy react when Kathy tries to help him get close to Ruth? What is foreshadowed about this relationship while Tommy and Kathy are still at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
Essay Topic 3
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)