|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
2. What is Songs After Dark?
3. Whose behavior does the narrator accuse Ruth of copying at the end of chapter 10?
4. What is the Lost Corner?
5. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
2. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
3. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
4. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
5. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
6. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
7. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
8. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
9. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
10. At the end of the book, Kathy sees debris on a fence and compares it to what?
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Kathy have a falling out after returning from Norfolk. What causes Ruth to become unhappy with Kathy? How does she react to this object? Why does she get Kathy to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish and amateurish? Does Kathy really believe this? Why does Ruth tell Tommy this? What happens after this episode? How does Kathy find herself separated from her friends?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Kathy? What does she do for a living? What is meant by the term carer? What is a donor? How long has Kathy been working at this career? Why does she think she is better at it than others? Is she? Where did Kathy's donor, whom she is caring for at the beginning of the book, grow up? Where did Kathy grow up? How do the two locations compare? How do they differ?
This section contains 2,018 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)