Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are tokens?
2. Who is Miss Geraldine?
3. Why did the students feel Madame was different, odd?
4. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
5. Where did the donor in the narrator's third year grow up, causing her to recall her own childhood at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
2. Why does Rodney and Chrissie detour the group into Woolworth's upon arriving in Norfolk in chapter 14? How do the others feel about this?
3. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
4. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
5. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
6. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
7. In chapter 18, how does Kathy become Ruth's carer? How does Ruth react to this?
8. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
9. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
10. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
Essay Topic 1
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 2,053 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)