|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the students at Hailsham love the sports pavilion?
2. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
3. Who is Miss Lucy?
4. Who is Keffers?
5. Who first suggested that Madame was frightened of the students at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
2. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
3. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
4. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
5. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
6. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
7. At the end of the book, Kathy sees debris on a fence and compares it to what?
8. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
9. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
10. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Medical cloning.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
This section contains 2,012 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)