|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the secret guard?
2. How does Kathy find herself on Ruth's good books at the end of part one?
3. Who suggests that Kathy might be Tommy's next girlfriend in chapter 9?
4. What were the students at Hailsham allowed to wear on weekends, but not during the week?
5. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
2. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
3. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
4. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
5. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
6. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
7. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
8. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
9. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
10. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss point of view. What point of view is used in this novel? How does this point of view impact the overall tone and feel of the book? How might the novel be different if it had been narrated by Ruth or Tommy or Miss Lucy? How might the novel be different if the author had used a third person point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Medical cloning.
Essay Topic 3
Who are Ruth and Tommy? How did Kathy know them in her past? How does she learn that Ruth has become a donor? Why does Kathy request to become Ruth's carer? What does Kathy tell the reader about her first meeting with Ruth? How was Ruth somewhat odd? Why did Ruth feel the need to protect Miss Geraldine? Was there a real danger toward Miss Geraldine? How did Kathy help Ruth keep up the illusion of a special relationship between she and Miss Geraldine? How did Ruth repay this kindness?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)