|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Geraldine?
2. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
3. What work of art did Tommy create as a joke that began his torment from other students, as described in chapter 2?
4. What is the secret guard?
5. Who does Ruth want to know if the narrator likes at the end of chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 23, why does Tommy ask Kathy to stop being his carer?
2. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
3. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
4. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
5. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
6. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
7. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
8. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
9. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
10. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy talked to him about that helped him curb his anger? Why did this help Tommy curb his anger? What is the relationship between Tommy and Kathy? Why does Tommy often make Kathy his confidant? How does Tommy react when Kathy tries to help him get close to Ruth? What is foreshadowed about this relationship while Tommy and Kathy are still at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
What does Ruth reveal to Kathy after she, Kathy, and Tommy go to the boat? What does Ruth say about the relationship that should have existed between Tommy and Kathy? What does Ruth encourage Tommy and Kathy to seek? What is a deferment? What might it give to Kathy and Tommy? Why does Ruth push this on them? How do they react? Why does Ruth ask Kathy to stop being her carer and become Tommy's carer? Does Kathy take this advice?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and Kathy have a falling out after returning from Norfolk. What causes Ruth to become unhappy with Kathy? How does she react to this object? Why does she get Kathy to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish and amateurish? Does Kathy really believe this? Why does Ruth tell Tommy this? What happens after this episode? How does Kathy find herself separated from her friends?
This section contains 2,095 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)