|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator continuously refer to as the veterans in chapter 10?
2. Why is the narrator reluctant to sit beside Tommy in chapter 3 when they meet at the pond?
3. What is the Lost Corner?
4. Who asks Tommy to get back into his art in chapter 9?
5. What is Bramble, as described in chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
2. What was the purpose of the secret guard? Who ran it?
3. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
4. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
5. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
6. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
7. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
8. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
9. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
10. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Kathy have a falling out after returning from Norfolk. What causes Ruth to become unhappy with Kathy? How does she react to this object? Why does she get Kathy to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish and amateurish? Does Kathy really believe this? Why does Ruth tell Tommy this? What happens after this episode? How does Kathy find herself separated from her friends?
Essay Topic 3
What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy talked to him about that helped him curb his anger? Why did this help Tommy curb his anger? What is the relationship between Tommy and Kathy? Why does Tommy often make Kathy his confidant? How does Tommy react when Kathy tries to help him get close to Ruth? What is foreshadowed about this relationship while Tommy and Kathy are still at Hailsham?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)