|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose room does Tommy admit in chapter 11 that he saw the narrator looking at similar magazines as the ones he finds her looking at in the boiler room in chapter 11?
2. What was the Cottages before it became a halfway house for clones?
3. What does the narrator tell the reader unzipping meant to the students at Hailsham in chapter 7?
4. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
5. What would the narrator often hold while listening to her favorite song, Never Let Me Go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
2. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
3. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
4. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
5. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
6. Upon first meeting Ruth, as described in chapter 4, what do Ruth and Kathy do together?
7. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
8. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
9. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
10. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Kathy and Tommy eventually seek out Madame? What do they learn from Madame? How did Tommy seem to know the truth about his life? What does Miss Emily say about Tommy's fits of anger and what those implied about his knowledge of his future? Why do Kathy and Tommy not attempt to run away? Why does Tommy seem accepting of his future? Is Kathy as accepting of her own future?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)