|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
2. What is a guardian?
3. What difference did the narrator begin to note in Tommy during their Senior 2 year, as described in chapter 2?
4. What would the narrator often hold while listening to her favorite song, Never Let Me Go?
5. What is the secret guard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
2. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
3. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
4. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
5. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
6. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
7. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
8. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
9. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
10. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Tommy and Kathy refuse to go see a carer with the others in chapter 15? What do they spend their time doing? What is significant about the cassette tape they go in search of? What is special about the song Kathy likes on the recording? How does this recording make Kathy feel? Who once saw Kathy listening to this song? What was significant about her watching Kathy dance to the song? What is significant about Tommy's desire to find the recording for Kathy? What does this suggest about Tommy's feelings for Kathy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Medical cloning.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)