|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's stump?
2. What does Laura teach the narrator in chapter 7 in order to discourage boys?
3. In whose room does Tommy admit in chapter 11 that he saw the narrator looking at similar magazines as the ones he finds her looking at in the boiler room in chapter 11?
4. What does the narrator reveal in chapter 10 her topic was for her writing assignment when she first arrived at the Cottages?
5. Who does the narrator continuously refer to as the veterans in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
2. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
3. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
4. Upon first meeting Ruth, as described in chapter 4, what do Ruth and Kathy do together?
5. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
6. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
7. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
8. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
9. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
10. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Kathy have a falling out after returning from Norfolk. What causes Ruth to become unhappy with Kathy? How does she react to this object? Why does she get Kathy to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish and amateurish? Does Kathy really believe this? Why does Ruth tell Tommy this? What happens after this episode? How does Kathy find herself separated from her friends?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)