|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator continuously refer to as the veterans in chapter 10?
2. What does the narrator mentioned she often used for blankets in chapter 11?
3. What is a guardian?
4. What is the woods?
5. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
2. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
3. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
4. In chapter 12, Rodney and Chrissie report seeing what person in Norfolk during a trip there?
5. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
6. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
7. In chapter 22, how does Tommy react to the truth of his life? How does this seem to relate to something Miss Emily said to him?
8. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
9. At the end of the book, Kathy sees debris on a fence and compares it to what?
10. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Kathy? What does she do for a living? What is meant by the term carer? What is a donor? How long has Kathy been working at this career? Why does she think she is better at it than others? Is she? Where did Kathy's donor, whom she is caring for at the beginning of the book, grow up? Where did Kathy grow up? How do the two locations compare? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Who are Ruth and Tommy? How did Kathy know them in her past? How does she learn that Ruth has become a donor? Why does Kathy request to become Ruth's carer? What does Kathy tell the reader about her first meeting with Ruth? How was Ruth somewhat odd? Why did Ruth feel the need to protect Miss Geraldine? Was there a real danger toward Miss Geraldine? How did Kathy help Ruth keep up the illusion of a special relationship between she and Miss Geraldine? How did Ruth repay this kindness?
Essay Topic 3
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)