|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth give the narrator in chapter 6 to replace her lost tape?
2. What writing assignment were the Hailsham students supposed to be working on during their two years at the Cottages?
3. What is the point of view of this novel?
4. Why was often terribly cold in the farmhouse at the Cottages, as mentioned in chapter 10?
5. What is the narrator doing as she recalls these events from her past, as a student at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
2. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
3. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
4. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
5. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
6. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
7. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
8. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
9. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
10. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Tommy and Kathy refuse to go see a carer with the others in chapter 15? What do they spend their time doing? What is significant about the cassette tape they go in search of? What is special about the song Kathy likes on the recording? How does this recording make Kathy feel? Who once saw Kathy listening to this song? What was significant about her watching Kathy dance to the song? What is significant about Tommy's desire to find the recording for Kathy? What does this suggest about Tommy's feelings for Kathy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Character motivation
2) Character relationships
3) Character traits.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)