|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 14, who does Ruth tell Chrissie she would need to contact if she wanted a deferral?
(c) Miss Emily.
(d) The owner of the Cottages.
2. What does the narrator think of in chapter 15 when Tommy describes his new art creations to her?
(a) They are very creative.
(b) They are childish.
(c) They are symbolic of their existence.
(d) They are a clear revealing of Tommy's feelings.
3. Why does there seem to be a different set of rules for the clones from Hailsham as compared to the clones from other backgrounds?
(a) The Hailsham students have more supportive parents.
(b) The Hailsham students were raised with more compassion.
(c) The Hailsham students are better educated.
(d) The Hailsham students have more money.
4. In chapter 15, why does Kathy delay showing Tommy she has found the Judy Bridgewater tape?
(a) She wants to allow him to find it.
(b) She wants to prolong the fun.
(c) She wants to find something better.
(d) She wants to find a better copy.
5. In chapter 13, why does Ruby become irate when Kathy suggests they switch seats?
(a) Ruby does not like Rodney.
(b) Ruby does not want Kathy growing closer to Tommy.
(c) Ruby does not want Kathy to grow close to Rodney.
(d) Ruby does not like Kathy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator refuse to go visit Martin while in Norfolk?
2. In chapter 16, what does Ruth begin to forget?
3. What promise does the narrator make to Ruth after her second donation in chapter 19?
4. Who suggests in chapter 18 that the narrator become Ruth's carer?
5. What concern has Tommy admitted to the narrator he has for the creatures in his drawings?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
2. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
3. At the end of chapter 17, how does Kathy actively change her situation?
4. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
5. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
6. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
7. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
8. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
9. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
10. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)