|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 14, what was the predominate theme of the artwork in Portway Studios?
(b) The sea.
(d) Space exploration.
2. How does the narrator say Ruth responded to the possibility of not taking the trip to Norfolk in chapter 13?
(a) She was nonchalant.
(b) She became angry.
(c) She was relieved.
(d) She was depressed.
3. In chapter 21, what do Tommy and Kathy try to convince Madame of?
(a) They are brilliant artists.
(b) They are in desperate need of money.
(c) They are in danger.
(d) They are in love.
4. In chapter 14, who does Ruth tell Chrissie she would need to contact if she wanted a deferral?
(c) The owner of the Cottages.
(d) Miss Emily.
5. Who claims to not recall learning about deferrals at Hailsham in chapter 13?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator go to Littlehampton in chapter 20?
2. In chapter 15, why does Tommy tell Kathy he wanted to find the Judy Bridgewater tape for her?
3. What lie has Ruth told Chrissie that Tommy nearly blows for her in chapter 13?
4. In chapter 16, from whom does the narrator keep her distance in her final weeks there?
5. In chapter 14, what are the office workers doing when Rodney points out Ruth's possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
2. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
3. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
4. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
5. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
6. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
7. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
8. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
9. Why does Rodney and Chrissie detour the group into Woolworth's upon arriving in Norfolk in chapter 14? How do the others feel about this?
10. In chapter 18, how does Kathy learn that Ruth has begun her donations?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)