|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Black Barn?
(a) A bar where the clones hang out.
(b) A restaurant near the Cottages.
(c) A building at the Cottages.
(d) A building where supplies are stored.
2. What billboard does the narrator point out in chapter 19 that she hopes will remind Tommy and Ruth of their trip to Norfolk?
(a) A picture of a beach resort.
(b) A picture of a hotel.
(c) A picture of an office setting.
(d) A picture of a set of cottages.
3. What items does the narrator say in chapter 18 she likes to window shop for and compare to the ones she has at home?
(a) Desk lamps.
(d) Paper weights.
4. Why do Rodney and Chrissie believe the students from Hailsham might know about deferrals?
(a) They are smarter.
(b) They were more privledged.
(c) They have more access to the rule books.
(d) They are closer to the guardians.
5. In chapter 16, what does the narrator suggest is bothering Tommy?
(a) Ruth's inability to be friends with Kathy.
(b) Ruth's behavior toward him.
(c) Ruth's decision to become a carer.
(d) Ruth's choice to end their relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator say Ruth responded to the possibility of not taking the trip to Norfolk in chapter 13?
2. In chapter 16, why does Ruth think that Tommy might not want to be romantic with Kathy?
3. What does Madame reveal in chapter 21 that the artwork from Hailsham was supposed to show?
4. In chapter 21, what picture does Tommy notice on Madame's wall?
5. In chapter 15, why does Tommy think he has blown his future by refusing to participate in art at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
2. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
3. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
4. In chapter 18, how does Kathy become Ruth's carer? How does Ruth react to this?
5. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
6. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
7. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
8. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
9. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
10. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)