|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the recovery center where Ruth is living during her donations?
2. Who first suggests, in chapter 18, that Tommy join Kathy and Ruby in their visit to the marooned boat?
3. Who tells Chrissie and Rodney that the students at Hailsham were told about deferrals in chapter 13?
4. What does Ruth want to do after being run off from the office where her possible works in chapter 14?
(a) She wants to confront the woman.
(b) She wants to go home.
(c) She wants to go back.
(d) She wants to forget the whole episode.
5. In chapter 21, what do Tommy and Kathy try to convince Madame of?
(a) They are in desperate need of money.
(b) They are in danger.
(c) They are in love.
(d) They are brilliant artists.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, why does Tommy think he has blown his future by refusing to participate in art at Hailsham?
2. In chapter 15, why does Tommy tell Kathy he wanted to find the Judy Bridgewater tape for her?
3. In chapter 16, from whom does the narrator keep her distance in her final weeks there?
4. What concern has Tommy admitted to the narrator he has for the creatures in his drawings?
5. In chapter 15, what does Tommy suggest Madame does with the art from the Hailsham students?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
2. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
3. In chapter 18, how does Kathy learn that Ruth has begun her donations?
4. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
5. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
6. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
7. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
8. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
9. In chapter 18, how does Kathy become Ruth's carer? How does Ruth react to this?
10. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)