|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the narrator believe Ruth to be a good chess player?
(a) Ruth often commented on chess games in progress.
(b) Ruth had a collection of books on the subject.
(c) Ruth often voiced a desire to play the game.
(d) Ruth said she was.
2. Who first suggested that Madame was frightened of the students at Hailsham?
3. Where did the narrator and Tommy often meet in secrecy during their years at Hailsham?
(a) The art room.
(b) The pond.
(c) The woods.
(d) The sports pavilion.
4. What is the Lost Corner?
(a) What Miss Emily calls Norfolk becasue of its location.
(b) The town where the Cottages is located.
(c) A dark corner in Kathy's house.
(d) An abandoned broom closet at Hailsham.
5. What is the woods?
(a) A hall at Hailsham that is decorated with trees.
(b) A mural on the wall of Hailsham's cafeteria.
(c) A room where the students study horticulture.
(d) A wooded area around Hailsham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
2. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
3. How long does the narrator recall the secret guard lasting?
4. What happened in chapter 6 to the tape the narrator hid in her dorm room that contained her favorite song?
5. Where is the novel set?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)