|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is behind Mr. Rosicky's house?
2. After Anton's grandfather died whom did he go to live with?
3. The Rosickys' kitchen was full of the smell of what?
4. Mr. Rosicky's mustache is what?
5. What does Mr. Rosicky encounter when he goes out to his wagon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosicky do when he leaves Doctor Burleigh's office?
2. When Mary leaves to go to town to see Doctor Ed, what does she have her boys do?
3. When Doctor Burleigh tells Rosicky that he has a bad heart, what is Rosicky's excuse for feeling short of breath?
4. When the doctor picks ups his stethoscope, why does he frown?
5. Describe Christmas Eve.
6. What are the conditions like when the spring season finally arrives on the Rosicky farm?
7. What was the worst thing Rosicky had come upon in his journey through the world?
8. What happened when Anton tried to find his cousin in London?
9. What does Rudolph tell his father after his father says that if they have plenty to eat and water to clean then they don't have it hard?
10. Why does Doctor Ed consider the country graveyard where Rosicky is buried to be beautiful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willa Cather uses flashbacks often in her story, "Neighbor Rosicky". What benefit to the reader do the flashbacks provide? What connections to Rosicky did you feel after reading the flashback sections? Do you think Cather used the flashbacks too much, too little, or just right? Why? How would the story be different if there were no flashbacks provided?
Essay Topic 2
Rosicky enjoyed a good life while in New York. What do you think finally pushed him to the point that he wanted more from life? Why was his life not as fulfilling as some people might have thought? Do you think Rudolph would have been happy with the life that Rosicky led in New York? Do you think Polly would have enjoyed a life with Rudolph better in the city? Why or why not? Do you think Polly will become accustomed to living in the country? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Rosicky describes embarrassment as the most disagreeable feeling that he knows. Why do you think he feels this way? What are some times in Rosicky's life where you think he may have felt embarrassed and why? Where are some instances in the story where Rosicky may not have felt embarrassed, but someone else may have? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)