Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of plants does Mary have that bloom in the winter?
2. What does Dr. Burleigh state that Rosicky has that will provide him comfort?
3. The Rosickys' kitchen was full of the smell of what?
4. What is the name of Rosicky's wife?
5. How many boys does Rosicky have?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Rudolph and Polly leave for town what does Rosicky do?
2. What makes Polly want to drop her head on Rosicky's shoulder?
3. When Mary leaves to go to town to see Doctor Ed, what does she have her boys do?
4. Describe Polly's family.
5. What was the worst thing Rosicky had come upon in his journey through the world?
6. Why has life gone well between Anton and Mary Rosicky?
7. How did Rosicky end up in New York?
8. What were Rosicky's Saturday nights like in New York?
9. Why doesn't Rosicky agree to go with Rudolph to the movies when Polly suggests it to him?
10. Why did Polly marry Rudolph and how did they know each other?
Essay Topic 1
In the story, "Neighbor Rosicky", there are many times where Anton Rosicky is described in detail. The descriptions used in the story help the reader discover who Anton Rosicky is. Why do you think Willa Cather spent so much time describing Anton's physical appearance? How do these descriptions help shape the reader's opinion of Anton? Use specific examples from the story to support your findings.
Essay Topic 2
When Rosicky looks back on his life, he doesn't like to think about the two years he spent in London. We first read about his look back on his life in New York. Later in the story Rosicky does reflect on his time in London. Why do you think he finally lets his mind run free and remember the two years he would like to forget? Why did he relate the story of the goose to his whole family when he couldn't bear to remember these hard years?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, "Neighbor Rosicky", both Anton Rosicky and Doctor Ed stop by the graveyard to reflect and find solace. Why do you think the graveyard provides a peaceful place for pondering for both Rosicky and Doctor Burleigh? Why is this country graveyard different from a city graveyard? Describe the physical attributes of the graveyard. Use specific examples from the story.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)