Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of plants does Mary have that bloom in the winter?
2. What does Dr. Burleigh state that Rosicky has that will provide him comfort?
3. The Rosickys' kitchen was full of the smell of what?
4. What is the name of Rosicky's wife?
5. How many boys does Rosicky have?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Rudolph and Polly leave for town what does Rosicky do?
2. What makes Polly want to drop her head on Rosicky's shoulder?
3. When Mary leaves to go to town to see Doctor Ed, what does she have her boys do?
4. Describe Polly's family.
5. What was the worst thing Rosicky had come upon in his journey through the world?
6. Why has life gone well between Anton and Mary Rosicky?
7. How did Rosicky end up in New York?
8. What were Rosicky's Saturday nights like in New York?
9. Why doesn't Rosicky agree to go with Rudolph to the movies when Polly suggests it to him?
10. Why did Polly marry Rudolph and how did they know each other?
In "Neighbor Rosicky", Mary feeds other creatures and it is described as her natural expression of affection. Of course Mary gives food to her animals and children, but what other ways does Mary "feed" her family? What does Mary find most important in life? Is this the same thing that Anton focuses on? If so, why?
Throughout the story of "Neighbor Rosicky", there is always a feeling of hopefulness and of happiness even when Rosicky tells of or ponders on harder times in his life. How does Willa Cather carry the feeling of happiness through to the reader? How is Rosicky happy even though has not enjoyed too many of the finer things in life? Has Anton Rosicky missed some of what life has to offer? Why or why not? Does Rosicky pass on his happiness? If so, how and why?
During the opening lines of the story, "Neighbor Rosicky", we are introduced to Doctor Ed Burleigh. Describe Rosicky and Doctor Burleigh's relationship. Would you consider their relationship to be strictly a doctor and patient connection? Why or why not? How does Doctor Ed feel about Rosicky? How does Rosicky feel about Doctor Ed? What kind of dynamic does their relationship bring to the story?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)