Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of plants does Mary have that bloom in the winter?
2. What does Dr. Burleigh state that Rosicky has that will provide him comfort?
3. The Rosickys' kitchen was full of the smell of what?
4. What is the name of Rosicky's wife?
5. How many boys does Rosicky have?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Rudolph and Polly leave for town what does Rosicky do?
2. What makes Polly want to drop her head on Rosicky's shoulder?
3. When Mary leaves to go to town to see Doctor Ed, what does she have her boys do?
4. Describe Polly's family.
5. What was the worst thing Rosicky had come upon in his journey through the world?
6. Why has life gone well between Anton and Mary Rosicky?
7. How did Rosicky end up in New York?
8. What were Rosicky's Saturday nights like in New York?
9. Why doesn't Rosicky agree to go with Rudolph to the movies when Polly suggests it to him?
10. Why did Polly marry Rudolph and how did they know each other?
Essay Topic 1
In the story, "Neighbor Rosicky", there are many times where Anton Rosicky is described in detail. The descriptions used in the story help the reader discover who Anton Rosicky is. Why do you think Willa Cather spent so much time describing Anton's physical appearance? How do these descriptions help shape the reader's opinion of Anton? Use specific examples from the story to support your findings.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the simple things that Anton Rosicky enjoys in life. Does this make Rosicky an easy target for neighbors and townspeople to ridicule him? Why? Do you think Rosicky cares what other people are saying about him and his simplicity? Does Rosicky find ultimate joy in the simplicity of his life? If so, how? What simple things does Mary learn to enjoy from Anton? Do you think Mary helps Anton appreciate the simplicity of his life? How? Does Anton's family share the same simple life views? Does Doctor Ed share these views?
Essay Topic 3
When Rosicky was young and living in New York he enjoyed the nightlife on the weekends and worked during the week. Later, Rosicky has a family and land of his own and his lifestyle is much different than it was in his youth. Compare and contrast Anton Rosicky's different lifestyles that he has had during his lifetime. Between his youth in London, his young adulthood in New York, and his later years on the farm what things helped mold Rosicky? Which lifestyle was the most satisfying for Rosicky? Why?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)