|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary tells the creamery agent that she would rather put some color into her children's faces than what?
2. What day did the young Rosicky find out what was "the matter with him"?
3. What do Mary and Anton speak to each other besides English?
4. What has the doctor never been able to separate a Bohemian from?
5. What does Rosicky have that is long and brown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Rosicky rather have his sons deal with the hardships of country farm life than deal with city life?
2. What does Rosicky do when he stops by the windmill on his walk home from Rudolph and Polly's home?
3. Why does Rosicky want the alfalfa field to prosper so much?
4. What is the "Father's Corner"?
5. What happened to Anton when his mother died?
6. What were Mary and Anton doing on the Fourth of July when it was so hot that it burned up everything?
7. Describe the sight of the snow falling from Rosicky's perspective.
8. Describe Rosicky's physical appearance.
9. What have Mary and Anton agreed upon about life?
10. What does Rosicky do when he leaves Doctor Burleigh's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rosicky children are described as having natural good manners. What kind of things do the children do for their parents, their siblings, and for guests? Do you think the children's manners actually came naturally? Why or why not? If not, how did they become so helpful and kind? Do you think the Rosicky children are much different from other children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Rosicky describes embarrassment as the most disagreeable feeling that he knows. Why do you think he feels this way? What are some times in Rosicky's life where you think he may have felt embarrassed and why? Where are some instances in the story where Rosicky may not have felt embarrassed, but someone else may have? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Doctor Burleigh thinks of a time when he delivered a baby for a neighbor of the Rosickys who were better off than the Rosicky family. Doctor Ed decides to go to the Rosicky household to have breakfast instead of lingering at the Marshalls' farm. Why do you think Doctor Ed made this decision? What is it about the Rosicky home that makes people feel welcome? What elements in describing the Rosicky home did Willa Cather use to make the reader feel "welcome"? What are the key elements that Anton uses to make people feel welcome in his home? What are the strengths that Mary has to help welcome her guests?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)