|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of plants does Mary have that bloom in the winter?
2. What does Dr. Burleigh state that Rosicky has that will provide him comfort?
3. The Rosickys' kitchen was full of the smell of what?
4. What is the name of Rosicky's wife?
5. How many boys does Rosicky have?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Rudolph and Polly leave for town what does Rosicky do?
2. What makes Polly want to drop her head on Rosicky's shoulder?
3. When Mary leaves to go to town to see Doctor Ed, what does she have her boys do?
4. Describe Polly's family.
5. What was the worst thing Rosicky had come upon in his journey through the world?
6. Why has life gone well between Anton and Mary Rosicky?
7. How did Rosicky end up in New York?
8. What were Rosicky's Saturday nights like in New York?
9. Why doesn't Rosicky agree to go with Rudolph to the movies when Polly suggests it to him?
10. Why did Polly marry Rudolph and how did they know each other?
Essay Topic 1
Doctor Burleigh thinks of a time when he delivered a baby for a neighbor of the Rosickys who were better off than the Rosicky family. Doctor Ed decides to go to the Rosicky household to have breakfast instead of lingering at the Marshalls' farm. Why do you think Doctor Ed made this decision? What is it about the Rosicky home that makes people feel welcome? What elements in describing the Rosicky home did Willa Cather use to make the reader feel "welcome"? What are the key elements that Anton uses to make people feel welcome in his home? What are the strengths that Mary has to help welcome her guests?
Essay Topic 2
In "Neighbor Rosicky", Mary feeds other creatures and it is described as her natural expression of affection. Of course Mary gives food to her animals and children, but what other ways does Mary "feed" her family? What does Mary find most important in life? Is this the same thing that Anton focuses on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Rosicky describes embarrassment as the most disagreeable feeling that he knows. Why do you think he feels this way? What are some times in Rosicky's life where you think he may have felt embarrassed and why? Where are some instances in the story where Rosicky may not have felt embarrassed, but someone else may have? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 2,075 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)