|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rosicky find wrong with the cities?
2. How much did Rosicky pay for standing room at the opera?
3. How old was Rosicky when he landed in New York?
4. What type of cap does Rosicky wear?
5. How many years did Rosicky spend in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rosicky so fond of his boys?
2. What happened when Anton tried to find his cousin in London?
3. According to Rosicky, what is the problem with big cities?
4. Where in New York did Rosicky come to and what did he do there?
5. Why does Doctor Ed consider the country graveyard where Rosicky is buried to be beautiful?
6. What happened to Anton when his mother died?
7. What is the doctor's response to Rosicky when Rosicky suggests he just get a new heart?
8. Describe Christmas Eve.
9. Why was it hard for Rosicky to figure out why he felt "restless"?
10. Why has life gone well between Anton and Mary Rosicky?
Essay Topic 1
When Rosicky sits down and tells Mary about his visit with Doctor Ed, Mary raises her voice and is upset with the news about Anton's heart. Why does Mary act this way? What do you think is running through Mary's mind as she is hearing the news?
Essay Topic 2
Rosicky enjoyed a good life while in New York. What do you think finally pushed him to the point that he wanted more from life? Why was his life not as fulfilling as some people might have thought? Do you think Rudolph would have been happy with the life that Rosicky led in New York? Do you think Polly would have enjoyed a life with Rudolph better in the city? Why or why not? Do you think Polly will become accustomed to living in the country? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Rosicky describes the city as a place that is unnatural. What explanation does he give for this conclusion? Why do you think Rosicky feels this way? Do you think all of Rosicky's family members feel this way? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning behind this. How would Rosicky's life have been different if he had stayed in the city? Do you think he would have ever been truly happy spending his life in the city? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,117 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)