|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of hedge was at the back of Trinity churchyard?
2. When Mr. Rosicky enters the farm-implement store what does he put on?
3. What city did Rosicky think was the finest, richest, and friendliest city in the world?
4. Who does Rudolph state had been lifting heavy milk cans?
5. Whom did Anton live with after his mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rosicky end up in New York?
2. What happened to Anton when his mother died?
3. Why would Rosicky rather have his sons deal with the hardships of country farm life than deal with city life?
4. What conclusion does the doctor come to about the Rosicky family at the end of Part 1?
5. Describe Rosicky's farm.
6. Describe the Lifschnitz home.
7. When Mary leaves to go to town to see Doctor Ed, what does she have her boys do?
8. What does Rosicky tell the girl at the store about the ticking that he buys for Mrs. Rosicky?
9. Why did the doctor stop by last winter for breakfast at the Rosickys'?
10. What have Mary and Anton agreed upon about life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Rosicky looks back on his life, he doesn't like to think about the two years he spent in London. We first read about his look back on his life in New York. Later in the story Rosicky does reflect on his time in London. Why do you think he finally lets his mind run free and remember the two years he would like to forget? Why did he relate the story of the goose to his whole family when he couldn't bear to remember these hard years?
Essay Topic 2
Rudolph and Polly are newlyweds that are dealing with living with one another and getting used to each other. Polly is also dealing with learning to get used to country life. Compare and contrast the two newlyweds. Do you think the decision of marriage was a bad idea for them? Why or why not? What outside factors have an effect on Polly and Rudolph's marriage? How are they dealing with this factors?
Essay Topic 3
Rosicky describes embarrassment as the most disagreeable feeling that he knows. Why do you think he feels this way? What are some times in Rosicky's life where you think he may have felt embarrassed and why? Where are some instances in the story where Rosicky may not have felt embarrassed, but someone else may have? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)