|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "You must take us as you find us, Doctor Ed"?
2. What is the most disagreeable feeling that Rosicky knows?
3. Mary tells the creamery agent that she would rather put some color into her children's faces than what?
4. What kind of woman is Mr. Rosicky "ain't much fur"?
5. What does Mr. Rosicky smell when he enters the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rosicky end up in New York?
2. Describe Christmas Eve.
3. What are the conditions like when the spring season finally arrives on the Rosicky farm?
4. Why does the doctor tell Rosicky he wants to see Rosicky live a few years and enjoy them?
5. What does Rosicky do that makes Polly run to aid him?
6. Describe the Rosicky home as Mary and Anton enter it.
7. What is Rosicky the first to know about from Polly?
8. Describe Rosicky's physical appearance.
9. What were Mary and Anton doing on the Fourth of July when it was so hot that it burned up everything?
10. When the doctor picks ups his stethoscope, why does he frown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rosicky children are described as having natural good manners. What kind of things do the children do for their parents, their siblings, and for guests? Do you think the children's manners actually came naturally? Why or why not? If not, how did they become so helpful and kind? Do you think the Rosicky children are much different from other children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the simple things that Anton Rosicky enjoys in life. Does this make Rosicky an easy target for neighbors and townspeople to ridicule him? Why? Do you think Rosicky cares what other people are saying about him and his simplicity? Does Rosicky find ultimate joy in the simplicity of his life? If so, how? What simple things does Mary learn to enjoy from Anton? Do you think Mary helps Anton appreciate the simplicity of his life? How? Does Anton's family share the same simple life views? Does Doctor Ed share these views?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, "Neighbor Rosicky", there are many times where Anton Rosicky is described in detail. The descriptions used in the story help the reader discover who Anton Rosicky is. Why do you think Willa Cather spent so much time describing Anton's physical appearance? How do these descriptions help shape the reader's opinion of Anton? Use specific examples from the story to support your findings.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)