|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What carries a dry, cool fragrance that is released into the air?
2. What has the doctor never been able to separate a Bohemian from?
3. What does Rosicky have that is long and brown?
4. What is the name of Rosicky's oldest son?
5. What color is the grass that the graveyard is overgrown with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rosicky tell Polly not to telephone his "place"?
2. Rosicky tells Mary he can do some carpenter work during the winter. What does he tell Mary he will work on?
3. Where did Rosicky live in New York?
4. What is Rosicky the first to know about from Polly?
5. Describe Rosicky and Zichec's life in the loft.
6. What did Anton Rosicky do when he found out his cousin had moved to America?
7. What are the two years of his youth that Rosicky doesn't like to remember?
8. What did the Methodist preacher encounter when he came to the Rosicky home?
9. When the doctor picks ups his stethoscope, why does he frown?
10. What are the conditions like when the spring season finally arrives on the Rosicky farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Rosicky sits down and tells Mary about his visit with Doctor Ed, Mary raises her voice and is upset with the news about Anton's heart. Why does Mary act this way? What do you think is running through Mary's mind as she is hearing the news?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story of "Neighbor Rosicky", there is an underlying theme of pride. Rosicky has great pride in his family, in his profession, and in his land. Why does Rosicky feel pride for his family? Why does he feel pride for his land? Why is Rosicky proud of the choice he made to come to the country and farm the land? Does Rosicky's pride seem boastful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, "Neighbor Rosicky", there are many times where Anton Rosicky is described in detail. The descriptions used in the story help the reader discover who Anton Rosicky is. Why do you think Willa Cather spent so much time describing Anton's physical appearance? How do these descriptions help shape the reader's opinion of Anton? Use specific examples from the story to support your findings.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)