|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Rosicky enters the farm-implement store what does he put on?
2. Where did Loeffler buy wood from?
3. What is the most disagreeable feeling that Rosicky knows?
4. What does Mr. Rosicky encounter when he goes out to his wagon?
5. What color are the grapes on the Rosickys' table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rosicky the first to know about from Polly?
2. What does Rudolph tell his father after his father says that if they have plenty to eat and water to clean then they don't have it hard?
3. Describe the Lifschnitz home.
4. Where in New York did Rosicky come to and what did he do there?
5. Why has life gone well between Anton and Mary Rosicky?
6. Describe the Rosicky home as Mary and Anton enter it.
7. What makes Polly want to drop her head on Rosicky's shoulder?
8. After Rudolph and Polly leave for town what does Rosicky do?
9. What does Rosicky reflect on as he is looking out his window and listening to the wind blow?
10. What happened to Anton when his mother died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, "Neighbor Rosicky", both Anton Rosicky and Doctor Ed stop by the graveyard to reflect and find solace. Why do you think the graveyard provides a peaceful place for pondering for both Rosicky and Doctor Burleigh? Why is this country graveyard different from a city graveyard? Describe the physical attributes of the graveyard. Use specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
When Rosicky looks back on his life, he doesn't like to think about the two years he spent in London. We first read about his look back on his life in New York. Later in the story Rosicky does reflect on his time in London. Why do you think he finally lets his mind run free and remember the two years he would like to forget? Why did he relate the story of the goose to his whole family when he couldn't bear to remember these hard years?
Essay Topic 3
When Rosicky sits down and tells Mary about his visit with Doctor Ed, Mary raises her voice and is upset with the news about Anton's heart. Why does Mary act this way? What do you think is running through Mary's mind as she is hearing the news?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)