|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rudolph state had been lifting heavy milk cans?
2. What was the name of the farmer that had the big rich farm and a wife who had just had a baby?
3. When Mr. Rosicky enters the farm-implement store what does he put on?
4. When the doctor says, "Oh, yes! They're coming. Maybe they'd come faster if I married," what is he talking about?
5. What type of cap does Rosicky wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the doctor tell Rosicky he wants to see Rosicky live a few years and enjoy them?
2. Describe the sight of the snow falling from Rosicky's perspective.
3. What does Rosicky tell the girl at the store about the ticking that he buys for Mrs. Rosicky?
4. Describe Rosicky and Zichec's life in the loft.
5. What happened when Anton tried to find his cousin in London?
6. What happens after the Rosicky family have supper in Part 5?
7. What have Mary and Anton agreed upon about life?
8. What are the conditions like when the spring season finally arrives on the Rosicky farm?
9. What happened to Anton when his mother died?
10. Describe the Lifschnitz home.
Essay Topic 1
Willa Cather uses flashbacks often in her story, "Neighbor Rosicky". What benefit to the reader do the flashbacks provide? What connections to Rosicky did you feel after reading the flashback sections? Do you think Cather used the flashbacks too much, too little, or just right? Why? How would the story be different if there were no flashbacks provided?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story of "Neighbor Rosicky", there is always a feeling of hopefulness and of happiness even when Rosicky tells of or ponders on harder times in his life. How does Willa Cather carry the feeling of happiness through to the reader? How is Rosicky happy even though has not enjoyed too many of the finer things in life? Has Anton Rosicky missed some of what life has to offer? Why or why not? Does Rosicky pass on his happiness? If so, how and why?
Essay Topic 3
When Rosicky sits down and tells Mary about his visit with Doctor Ed, Mary raises her voice and is upset with the news about Anton's heart. Why does Mary act this way? What do you think is running through Mary's mind as she is hearing the news?
This section contains 2,105 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)