|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mary think the neighbor children look like?
2. What does Rosicky do in the afternoons at the house?
3. What day did the young Rosicky find out what was "the matter with him"?
4. Whom did Loeffler buy wood from?
5. What amuses Rosicky about the girl who always waits on him at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Father's Corner"?
2. After Rudolph and Polly leave for town what does Rosicky do?
3. Why did the winter turn out badly for the farmers?
4. When the doctor picks ups his stethoscope, why does he frown?
5. Why is Rosicky so fond of his boys?
6. Describe the Rosicky home as Mary and Anton enter it.
7. Why would Rosicky rather have his sons deal with the hardships of country farm life than deal with city life?
8. Describe Polly's appearance when Rosicky brings the car to her and Rudolph's house.
9. What are the two years of his youth that Rosicky doesn't like to remember?
10. According to Rosicky, what is the problem with big cities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the short story, "Neighbor Rosicky", Anton Rosicky is obviously the protagonist. Who or what in the book would be considered to be the antagonist? What is your reasoning behind this conclusion? Cite specific examples from the story to support your views.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story of "Neighbor Rosicky", there is an underlying theme of pride. Rosicky has great pride in his family, in his profession, and in his land. Why does Rosicky feel pride for his family? Why does he feel pride for his land? Why is Rosicky proud of the choice he made to come to the country and farm the land? Does Rosicky's pride seem boastful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the simple things that Anton Rosicky enjoys in life. Does this make Rosicky an easy target for neighbors and townspeople to ridicule him? Why? Do you think Rosicky cares what other people are saying about him and his simplicity? Does Rosicky find ultimate joy in the simplicity of his life? If so, how? What simple things does Mary learn to enjoy from Anton? Do you think Mary helps Anton appreciate the simplicity of his life? How? Does Anton's family share the same simple life views? Does Doctor Ed share these views?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)