|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the loft where Rosicky lived smell good?
2. What is behind Mr. Rosicky's house?
3. What is the kolache stuffed with that Mrs. Rosicky takes out of the oven?
4. What city did Rosicky think was the finest, richest, and friendliest city in the world?
5. What is the name of Rosicky's oldest son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosicky reflect on as he is looking out his window and listening to the wind blow?
2. What did Anton Rosicky do when he found out his cousin had moved to America?
3. What is Rosicky the first to know about from Polly?
4. Describe the Lifschnitz home.
5. Why would Rosicky rather have his sons deal with the hardships of country farm life than deal with city life?
6. What were Rosicky's Saturday nights like in New York?
7. When Doctor Burleigh tells Rosicky that he has a bad heart, what is Rosicky's excuse for feeling short of breath?
8. Where did Rosicky live in New York?
9. Describe Polly's family.
10. What is the biggest difference between Mary and Anton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rudolph is Anton Rosicky's oldest child. There are things that Rosicky and Rudolph do not agree or see eye-to-eye on. What are some of the things that Rudolph wants in life that Rosicky doesn't care to deal with? Why do you think Rudolph wants more than what his father has? Do you think Rosicky minds that Rudolph has this opinion? Why or why not? Describe the relationship between Rudolph and his father. Use specific examples in the story to include with your description.
Essay Topic 2
During the opening lines of the story, "Neighbor Rosicky", we are introduced to Doctor Ed Burleigh. Describe Rosicky and Doctor Burleigh's relationship. Would you consider their relationship to be strictly a doctor and patient connection? Why or why not? How does Doctor Ed feel about Rosicky? How does Rosicky feel about Doctor Ed? What kind of dynamic does their relationship bring to the story?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, "Neighbor Rosicky", Anton Rosicky is considered to be a city boy whereas Mary Rosicky is described as a country girl. Compare and contrast these two characters. Do they make a good couple? How do their personalities differ and is this beneficial to their relationship? Why or why not? How is Anton strong for Mary? How is Mary strong for Anton? Would you consider their relationship equal? Why or why not?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)