|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of plants does Mary have that bloom in the winter?
2. What does Rosicky do in the afternoons at the house?
3. What is the most disagreeable feeling that Rosicky knows?
4. What is Rosicky's first name?
5. What was the name of the farmer that had the big rich farm and a wife who had just had a baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of work does the doctor limit Rosicky to?
2. Why did the doctor stop by last winter for breakfast at the Rosickys'?
3. What happened to Anton when his mother died?
4. What are the conditions like when the spring season finally arrives on the Rosicky farm?
5. What are the two years of his youth that Rosicky doesn't like to remember?
6. Where in New York did Rosicky come to and what did he do there?
7. What does Rosicky reflect on as he is looking out his window and listening to the wind blow?
8. What did the Methodist preacher encounter when he came to the Rosicky home?
9. What does Rosicky tell the girl at the store about the ticking that he buys for Mrs. Rosicky?
10. Why does Doctor Ed consider the country graveyard where Rosicky is buried to be beautiful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willa Cather uses flashbacks often in her story, "Neighbor Rosicky". What benefit to the reader do the flashbacks provide? What connections to Rosicky did you feel after reading the flashback sections? Do you think Cather used the flashbacks too much, too little, or just right? Why? How would the story be different if there were no flashbacks provided?
Essay Topic 2
Rosicky enjoyed a good life while in New York. What do you think finally pushed him to the point that he wanted more from life? Why was his life not as fulfilling as some people might have thought? Do you think Rudolph would have been happy with the life that Rosicky led in New York? Do you think Polly would have enjoyed a life with Rudolph better in the city? Why or why not? Do you think Polly will become accustomed to living in the country? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the short story, "Neighbor Rosicky", Anton Rosicky is obviously the protagonist. Who or what in the book would be considered to be the antagonist? What is your reasoning behind this conclusion? Cite specific examples from the story to support your views.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)