Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of plants does Mary have that bloom in the winter?
2. What does Dr. Burleigh state that Rosicky has that will provide him comfort?
3. The Rosickys' kitchen was full of the smell of what?
4. What is the name of Rosicky's wife?
5. How many boys does Rosicky have?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Rudolph and Polly leave for town what does Rosicky do?
2. What makes Polly want to drop her head on Rosicky's shoulder?
3. When Mary leaves to go to town to see Doctor Ed, what does she have her boys do?
4. Describe Polly's family.
5. What was the worst thing Rosicky had come upon in his journey through the world?
6. Why has life gone well between Anton and Mary Rosicky?
7. How did Rosicky end up in New York?
8. What were Rosicky's Saturday nights like in New York?
9. Why doesn't Rosicky agree to go with Rudolph to the movies when Polly suggests it to him?
10. Why did Polly marry Rudolph and how did they know each other?
Essay Topic 1
Willa Cather uses flashbacks often in her story, "Neighbor Rosicky". What benefit to the reader do the flashbacks provide? What connections to Rosicky did you feel after reading the flashback sections? Do you think Cather used the flashbacks too much, too little, or just right? Why? How would the story be different if there were no flashbacks provided?
Essay Topic 2
In "Neighbor Rosicky", Mary feeds other creatures and it is described as her natural expression of affection. Of course Mary gives food to her animals and children, but what other ways does Mary "feed" her family? What does Mary find most important in life? Is this the same thing that Anton focuses on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Rosicky enjoyed a good life while in New York. What do you think finally pushed him to the point that he wanted more from life? Why was his life not as fulfilling as some people might have thought? Do you think Rudolph would have been happy with the life that Rosicky led in New York? Do you think Polly would have enjoyed a life with Rudolph better in the city? Why or why not? Do you think Polly will become accustomed to living in the country? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,075 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)