|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Roy make during the last inning of the pennant game?
2. What does Roy do about the bribe he is offered to throw the game?
3. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
4. What does Roy tell Memo about his mother?
5. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roy agrees to the Judge's crooked proposition to "sell out." What are his motives? Who, or what, is Hobbs selling out for? What are his reasons for selling out? Give examples from the book to defend your views.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss The Natural as a novel of magical realism. Magical realism is when a realistic novel contains issues that are stranger than life, unreal, or appearing magical. What purpose do instances of magical realism appear to serve in this novel? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
There are many themes developed in this novel. Discuss one of them and show how they are developed through the novel. Explain what Malamud is trying to tell the reader about that theme.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)