|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy wish for when the team gets into a major slump?
2. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
3. What is the name of the lady in the red dress?
4. What does The Judge tell Roy when he is trying to get him to throw a game?
5. What does Roy need that only Iris seems to understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The characters in The Natural are all somewhat "damaged." Discuss what this might show about Malamud's outlook on life in general and also on his perspective of baseball. What might the reader surmise from the way Malamud handles the character's weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2Why does Roy reject the locker-room lecture and hypnotism of Doc Knobb? How do the other Knights regard Doc Knobb? Give examples from the text to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3Compare and contrast Roy's relationship with Memo and Iris. In what ways do they parallel, and in what ways are they opposite? What role does each play in Roy's life?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)