|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy think about his ability to play after his stay in the hospital?
2. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
3. What reason does Roy give for not wanting to talk about his past?
4. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
5. What happens to the relationship between Memo and Roy during his slump?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Malamud paints the ballplayers as "larger than life" in the novel. Discuss passages in the book where the reader can see ballplayers rendered in a majestic, larger-than-life, or deity-like manner.
Essay Topic 2
Dreams appear throughout The Natural. Choose a couple of scenes including dreams and discuss how the dream scene relates to the overall narrative and its themes.
Essay Topic 3
Roy agrees to the Judge's crooked proposition to "sell out." What are his motives? Who, or what, is Hobbs selling out for? What are his reasons for selling out? Give examples from the book to defend your views.
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)