|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the coaches and players deal with the teams slump?
2. What is Roy's reaction when The Judge shows up in his motel room?
3. What reason does Roy give for not wanting to talk about his past?
4. After Roy gets sick, what does he dream about?
5. Why is Roy so upset that most people bet on the Knights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in The Natural are all somewhat "damaged." Discuss what this might show about Malamud's outlook on life in general and also on his perspective of baseball. What might the reader surmise from the way Malamud handles the character's weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Malamud tells us that sometimes when Hobbs watched the baseball come to him before hitting it, he thought it looked like all circles, and he didn't like circles. He made the statement that circles just bring you back to the place you started from. Explain that theme from the novel, coming back to where you started. What examples from the novel illustrate that theme?
Essay Topic 3
Age is a recurring theme in The Natural. Discuss how age enters into both the story and into the probable author's purpose. Use examples from the novel to prove your point. Include how Roy is alike/different at age fifteen and thirty-four.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)