|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Roy see in the stands while playing a game in Chicago?
2. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
3. What does The Judge tell Roy when he is trying to get him to throw a game?
4. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
5. What reason does Roy give for not wanting to talk about his past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Roy's relationship with Memo and Iris. In what ways do they parallel, and in what ways are they opposite? What role does each play in Roy's life?
Essay Topic 2
Heroism is a recurring theme throughout the novel. We are never given a direct definition of a hero, but are shown what one is and isn't, mostly what one isn't. Using the examples from the book, write a detailed definition of hero as Malamud might have written it. Include examples from the book to support your definition. After defining how Malamud might define a hero, briefly discuss how you would define it. How does it compare/contrast with Malamud's views?
Essay Topic 3
Roy agrees to the Judge's crooked proposition to "sell out." What are his motives? Who, or what, is Hobbs selling out for? What are his reasons for selling out? Give examples from the book to defend your views.
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)