|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Roy makes an important decision during the last inning of the pennant game?
2. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
3. How does Roy react to the children among the fans?
4. Why does Memo tell Roy he should go see a fortune teller?
5. When a man meets with Roy before a game, what does he request?
Essay Topic 1
Malamud wrote, "Sometimes as he watched the ball soar, it seemed to him all circles, and he was mystified at his devotion to hacking at it, for he had never really liked the sight of a circle. They got you nowhere but back to the place where you were to begin with." Discuss ways in which Roy travels in a circle, going nowhere but coming back to where he started from. Give examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Roy reject the locker-room lecture and hypnotism of Doc Knobb? How do the other Knights regard Doc Knobb? Give examples from the text to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Roy Hobbs life is full of disasters, but many of which are of his own making. Should we feel sorry for him? Why or why not? Defend your answers with passages from the book.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)