|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Roy gets out of his slump, where do the fans say he belongs?
2. Who is the pitcher that strikes Roy out in the pennant game?
3. What does Iris say is the only way to find happiness?
4. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
5. What does Roy think about his relationship with Memo when he is in his big slump?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many themes developed in this novel. Discuss one of them and show how they are developed through the novel. Explain what Malamud is trying to tell the reader about that theme.
Essay Topic 2
Heroism is a recurring theme throughout the novel. We are never given a direct definition of a hero, but are shown what one is and isn't, mostly what one isn't. Using the examples from the book, write a detailed definition of hero as Malamud might have written it. Include examples from the book to support your definition. After defining how Malamud might define a hero, briefly discuss how you would define it. How does it compare/contrast with Malamud's views?
Essay Topic 3
There are several issues related to responsibility and moral integrity that Roy must face. Discuss them fully, supporting your ideas from the text.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)