|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roy react to the children among the fans?
2. Who does Roy see in the stands while playing a game in Chicago?
3. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
4. What happens after Roy makes an important decision during the last inning of the pennant game?
5. What does Iris tell Roy he must do to be a true hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the unfolding of Roy's character throughout the novel is related to the seasonal aspects of the vegetative myths from Arthurian tales.
Essay Topic 2
Malamud paints the ballplayers as "larger than life" in the novel. Discuss passages in the book where the reader can see ballplayers rendered in a majestic, larger-than-life, or deity-like manner.
Essay Topic 3
The Natural is divided into two parts, Pre-Game and Batter Up! Discuss why Malamud divided the story this way. What has occurred in the fifteen years between the two parts? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)