|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Roy so upset that most people bet on the Knights?
2. What does Roy say about Iris's appearance?
3. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
4. Who sends Memo to Roy's motel room?
5. What agreement does Roy make with The Judge?
Essay Topic 1
Malamud paints the ballplayers as "larger than life" in the novel. Discuss passages in the book where the reader can see ballplayers rendered in a majestic, larger-than-life, or deity-like manner.
Essay Topic 2
Iris tells Hobbs that everyone has two lives to live. What are the two lives revealed in the novel? Illustrate your answer with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss The Natural as a novel of magical realism. Magical realism is when a realistic novel contains issues that are stranger than life, unreal, or appearing magical. What purpose do instances of magical realism appear to serve in this novel? Give examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)