|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iris say is the only way to find happiness?
2. What does Iris tell Roy when he accidentally hits her with a foul ball that goes into the stands?
3. What is the reason Roy gets benched the second time (Chapter 6)?
4. What does Gus suggest in Memo's motel room that makes Roy so angry?
5. What does Roy do to get even with Max Mercy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heroism is a recurring theme throughout the novel. We are never given a direct definition of a hero, but are shown what one is and isn't, mostly what one isn't. Using the examples from the book, write a detailed definition of hero as Malamud might have written it. Include examples from the book to support your definition. After defining how Malamud might define a hero, briefly discuss how you would define it. How does it compare/contrast with Malamud's views?
Essay Topic 2
The Natural is divided into two parts, Pre-Game and Batter Up! Discuss why Malamud divided the story this way. What has occurred in the fifteen years between the two parts? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the unfolding of Roy's character throughout the novel is related to the seasonal aspects of the vegetative myths from Arthurian tales.
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)