|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
2. In making his decision whether or not to accept The Judge's offer, what is the one thing Roy considers?
3. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
4. Who does Roy visit when he becomes depressed?
5. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several issues related to responsibility and moral integrity that Roy must face. Discuss them fully, supporting your ideas from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Heroism is a recurring theme throughout the novel. We are never given a direct definition of a hero, but are shown what one is and isn't, mostly what one isn't. Using the examples from the book, write a detailed definition of hero as Malamud might have written it. Include examples from the book to support your definition. After defining how Malamud might define a hero, briefly discuss how you would define it. How does it compare/contrast with Malamud's views?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roy's relationship with Memo and Iris. In what ways do they parallel, and in what ways are they opposite? What role does each play in Roy's life?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)