|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy need that only Iris seems to understand?
2. What is wrong with Roy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. In making his decision whether or not to accept The Judge's offer, what is the one thing Roy considers?
4. In the league, What position do the Knights fall in?
5. What happens to the Pirates' starting pitcher that pits Roy against a new pitcher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Roy starts hitting for the team, his teammates wonder if he is for himself or the team. Discuss whether he is for the team or himself, or whether his allegiance changes over the course of the book. Defend your answer with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Much of The Natural is based on mythology, particular Arthurian mythology. Choose a myth you are familiar with and compare it to The Natural. Be sure to address the idea of theme is both the myth and The Natural.
Essay Topic 3
There is a tremendous amount of symbolism in Malamud's novel. Discuss two forms of symbolism and show how they develop the theme over the course of the novel. Answer the question of why Malamud might have chosen that symbol over other possible ones and whether he was effective in developing the theme. Give examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)