|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Roy gets benched the second time (Chapter 6)?
2. Why does Memo tell Roy he should go see a fortune teller?
3. What is he referring to when The Judge lectures Roy on the Biblical tale of the dog returning to its own vomit?
4. What reason does Roy give for not wanting to talk about his past?
5. What is wrong with Roy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in The Natural are all somewhat "damaged." Discuss what this might show about Malamud's outlook on life in general and also on his perspective of baseball. What might the reader surmise from the way Malamud handles the character's weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
When Roy starts hitting for the team, his teammates wonder if he is for himself or the team. Discuss whether he is for the team or himself, or whether his allegiance changes over the course of the book. Defend your answer with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roy's relationship with Memo and Iris. In what ways do they parallel, and in what ways are they opposite? What role does each play in Roy's life?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)