|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Memo not be the woman Roy needs?
2. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
3. What does Iris tell Roy he must do to be a true hero?
4. What does Roy do when Iris rejects him?
5. Why does Memo tell Roy he should go see a fortune teller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in The Natural are all somewhat "damaged." Discuss what this might show about Malamud's outlook on life in general and also on his perspective of baseball. What might the reader surmise from the way Malamud handles the character's weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Much of The Natural is based on mythology, particular Arthurian mythology. Choose a myth you are familiar with and compare it to The Natural. Be sure to address the idea of theme is both the myth and The Natural.
Essay Topic 3
There are several issues related to responsibility and moral integrity that Roy must face. Discuss them fully, supporting your ideas from the text.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)