|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Memo not be the woman Roy needs?
2. What does Memo tell Roy when he proposes to her?
3. Who sends Memo to Roy's motel room?
4. What is wrong with Roy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. Who does Roy visit when he becomes depressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many themes developed in this novel. Discuss one of them and show how they are developed through the novel. Explain what Malamud is trying to tell the reader about that theme.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the unfolding of Roy's character throughout the novel is related to the seasonal aspects of the vegetative myths from Arthurian tales.
Essay Topic 3
Much of The Natural is based on mythology, particular Arthurian mythology. Choose a myth you are familiar with and compare it to The Natural. Be sure to address the idea of theme is both the myth and The Natural.
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)