|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Roy gets out of his slump, where do the fans say he belongs?
2. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
3. What does Iris encourage Roy to do?
4. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
5. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss The Natural as a novel of magical realism. Magical realism is when a realistic novel contains issues that are stranger than life, unreal, or appearing magical. What purpose do instances of magical realism appear to serve in this novel? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Roy reject the locker-room lecture and hypnotism of Doc Knobb? How do the other Knights regard Doc Knobb? Give examples from the text to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Malamud paints the ballplayers as "larger than life" in the novel. Discuss passages in the book where the reader can see ballplayers rendered in a majestic, larger-than-life, or deity-like manner.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)