|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
2. When a man meets with Roy before a game, what does he request?
3. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
4. In the league, What position do the Knights fall in?
5. What does the doctor tell Roy when he is in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Roy reject the locker-room lecture and hypnotism of Doc Knobb? How do the other Knights regard Doc Knobb? Give examples from the text to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are many themes developed in this novel. Discuss one of them and show how they are developed through the novel. Explain what Malamud is trying to tell the reader about that theme.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in The Natural are all somewhat "damaged." Discuss what this might show about Malamud's outlook on life in general and also on his perspective of baseball. What might the reader surmise from the way Malamud handles the character's weaknesses?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)