|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Roy gets benched the second time (Chapter 6)?
2. What does Iris tell Roy when he accidentally hits her with a foul ball that goes into the stands?
3. What offer did The Judge send Memo to tell Roy about?
4. What does Roy say about Iris's appearance?
5. What is Roy's great fear that drives all his motives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many themes developed in this novel. Discuss one of them and show how they are developed through the novel. Explain what Malamud is trying to tell the reader about that theme.
Essay Topic 2
There are several issues related to responsibility and moral integrity that Roy must face. Discuss them fully, supporting your ideas from the text.
Essay Topic 3
There is a tremendous amount of symbolism in Malamud's novel. Discuss two forms of symbolism and show how they develop the theme over the course of the novel. Answer the question of why Malamud might have chosen that symbol over other possible ones and whether he was effective in developing the theme. Give examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)