|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flaw does Roy think Memo has?
2. What is Roy's great fear that drives all his motives?
3. What offer did The Judge send Memo to tell Roy about?
4. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
5. What is Max Mercy fixated on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the unfolding of Roy's character throughout the novel is related to the seasonal aspects of the vegetative myths from Arthurian tales.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in The Natural are all somewhat "damaged." Discuss what this might show about Malamud's outlook on life in general and also on his perspective of baseball. What might the reader surmise from the way Malamud handles the character's weaknesses?
Essay Topic 3
Roy Hobbs life is full of disasters, but many of which are of his own making. Should we feel sorry for him? Why or why not? Defend your answers with passages from the book.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)