|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roy feel about Iris after he first meets her?
2. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
3. What does Gus suggest in Memo's motel room that makes Roy so angry?
4. What does Roy decide to do to try and change his luck?
5. What does Roy need that only Iris seems to understand?
Essay Topic 1
Roy agrees to the Judge's crooked proposition to "sell out." What are his motives? Who, or what, is Hobbs selling out for? What are his reasons for selling out? Give examples from the book to defend your views.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the unfolding of Roy's character throughout the novel is related to the seasonal aspects of the vegetative myths from Arthurian tales.
Essay Topic 3
The Natural is divided into two parts, Pre-Game and Batter Up! Discuss why Malamud divided the story this way. What has occurred in the fifteen years between the two parts? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)