|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
2. In what way does Roy treat Memo and Iris the same?
3. What does Iris tell Roy that is almost identical to what Harriet Bird told him?
4. What is Roy's great fear that drives all his motives?
5. What is the reason Roy gets benched the second time (Chapter 6)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Roy's relationship with Memo and Iris. In what ways do they parallel, and in what ways are they opposite? What role does each play in Roy's life?
Essay Topic 2
There is a tremendous amount of symbolism in Malamud's novel. Discuss two forms of symbolism and show how they develop the theme over the course of the novel. Answer the question of why Malamud might have chosen that symbol over other possible ones and whether he was effective in developing the theme. Give examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
When Roy starts hitting for the team, his teammates wonder if he is for himself or the team. Discuss whether he is for the team or himself, or whether his allegiance changes over the course of the book. Defend your answer with passages from the book.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)