|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
2. Who is the only person that Roy thinks really cares about him?
3. What does Roy wish for when the team gets into a major slump?
4. What does Iris tell Roy he must do to be a true hero?
5. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss The Natural as a novel of magical realism. Magical realism is when a realistic novel contains issues that are stranger than life, unreal, or appearing magical. What purpose do instances of magical realism appear to serve in this novel? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Roy Hobbs life is full of disasters, but many of which are of his own making. Should we feel sorry for him? Why or why not? Defend your answers with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
There are many themes developed in this novel. Discuss one of them and show how they are developed through the novel. Explain what Malamud is trying to tell the reader about that theme.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)