|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Roy visit when he becomes depressed?
2. What does Iris tell Roy when he accidentally hits her with a foul ball that goes into the stands?
3. How does Roy react to the children among the fans?
4. Who is the only person that Roy thinks really cares about him?
5. What agreement does Roy make with The Judge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many themes developed in this novel. Discuss one of them and show how they are developed through the novel. Explain what Malamud is trying to tell the reader about that theme.
Essay Topic 2
The Natural is divided into two parts, Pre-Game and Batter Up! Discuss why Malamud divided the story this way. What has occurred in the fifteen years between the two parts? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Malamud paints the ballplayers as "larger than life" in the novel. Discuss passages in the book where the reader can see ballplayers rendered in a majestic, larger-than-life, or deity-like manner.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)