|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Roy so upset that most people bet on the Knights?
2. What does Roy say about Iris's appearance?
3. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
4. Who sends Memo to Roy's motel room?
5. What agreement does Roy make with The Judge?
Essay Topic 1
Roy Hobbs life is full of disasters, but many of which are of his own making. Should we feel sorry for him? Why or why not? Defend your answers with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the unfolding of Roy's character throughout the novel is related to the seasonal aspects of the vegetative myths from Arthurian tales.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in The Natural are all somewhat "damaged." Discuss what this might show about Malamud's outlook on life in general and also on his perspective of baseball. What might the reader surmise from the way Malamud handles the character's weaknesses?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)