Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
2. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
3. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
4. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
5. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the irony that Malamud uses in naming the characters Goodwill Banner and Max Mercy.
2. Fatal or life-changing accidents seem prevalent in this story. Discuss at least two of them.
3. What does Memo talk about on her ride in the country with Roy?
4. What two things really bother Roy when the doctor tells him he can't play baseball any more?
5. When Roy goes to see a fortune teller when he is in his big slump, she tells him he will meet a beautiful brunette. What is Roy's reaction?
6. What purpose does Malamud have for repeatedly using dreams in his story? Why is he employing this technique, and what point of view is it?
7. What happens when Roy goes to visit Memo in her hotel room and finds Gus there?
8. When she visits Roy in Boston, what excuse does Memo give for rejecting Roy during his earlier slump?
9. Malamud makes a point of mentioning that the Judge has a stuffed shark in his office. Explain the significance of the shark as related to the Judge's personality and how well it fits.
10. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
Essay Topic 1
Dreams appear throughout The Natural. Choose a couple of scenes including dreams and discuss how the dream scene relates to the overall narrative and its themes.
Essay Topic 2
Roy agrees to the Judge's crooked proposition to "sell out." What are his motives? Who, or what, is Hobbs selling out for? What are his reasons for selling out? Give examples from the book to defend your views.
Essay Topic 3
The Natural is divided into two parts, Pre-Game and Batter Up! Discuss why Malamud divided the story this way. What has occurred in the fifteen years between the two parts? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)