|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
2. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
3. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
4. What does Roy and Memo think they need for happiness?
5. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roy feel about Iris when he finds out she is a grandmother and what does he do?
2. What happens to the Knights when the first-place Pirates come to town to play against them?
3. What was Roy's reaction when the young newspaper boy asked him if the headlines were true?
4. When Roy goes to see a fortune teller when he is in his big slump, she tells him he will meet a beautiful brunette. What is Roy's reaction?
5. Discuss the ways that The Judge is a hypocrite.
6. What did Iris tell Roy in her letter, and what was his reaction to it?
7. When Roy ended up in the hospital from overeating, what did the doctor tell him about his career in baseball?
8. Why does Roy go back to the lake, and what happens to him?
9. What reason did Iris give for standing up in the stands and cheering for Roy?
10. How does Memo treat Roy after the fans declare him a hero.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Roy's relationship with Memo and Iris. In what ways do they parallel, and in what ways are they opposite? What role does each play in Roy's life?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in The Natural are all somewhat "damaged." Discuss what this might show about Malamud's outlook on life in general and also on his perspective of baseball. What might the reader surmise from the way Malamud handles the character's weaknesses?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Roy reject the locker-room lecture and hypnotism of Doc Knobb? How do the other Knights regard Doc Knobb? Give examples from the text to defend your answer.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)