|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two places does Roy tell the train porter he has visited?
2. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
3. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
4. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
5. Why does Pop dislike Bump Bailey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roy feel about Iris when he finds out she is a grandmother and what does he do?
2. Discuss the ways that The Judge is a hypocrite.
3. When Roy ended up in the hospital from overeating, what did the doctor tell him about his career in baseball?
4. What sort of fans follow the Knights?
5. What was Roy's reaction when the young newspaper boy asked him if the headlines were true?
6. When Memo comes to Roy's room she talks to him about money and how much it costs to start a good business. Why did she do that, and what else does she tell him?
7. When a man comes to Roy and asks him to hit a home run for his sick child, what is Roy's reaction and what does he tell the man?
8. At the beginning of the pennant game, Pop came to Roy to talk about his being benched. What did he tell Roy?
9. When she visits Roy in Boston, what excuse does Memo give for rejecting Roy during his earlier slump?
10. What happens to Bump when Roy pitches in his place, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roy Hobbs life is full of disasters, but many of which are of his own making. Should we feel sorry for him? Why or why not? Defend your answers with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Age is a recurring theme in The Natural. Discuss how age enters into both the story and into the probable author's purpose. Use examples from the novel to prove your point. Include how Roy is alike/different at age fifteen and thirty-four.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roy's relationship with Memo and Iris. In what ways do they parallel, and in what ways are they opposite? What role does each play in Roy's life?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)