|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
2. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
3. How does Roy feel when he becomes the team hero, making news stories and filling sports columns with his achievements?
4. What does Memo's reaction to Bump's death tell the reader, given her lack of relationship with him?
5. What happens when Roy meets Gus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roy decide to do to change his luck and get out of the great slump he is in?
2. What does Memo talk about on her ride in the country with Roy?
3. What did Roy see immediately after he beat up The Judge and left the tower where he was?
4. Explain how Roy feels about Memo, Bump's girlfriend.
5. What does The Judge write in his letter to Roy with the $35 thousand?
6. How does Roy respond when the fans begin supporting him during the Knights' wins, after having rejected him all through his slump? How does his reaction change?
7. How does Roy feel about Iris after he meets her in person. Why does he feel this way?
8. What happens to the Knights when the first-place Pirates come to town to play against them?
9. What happens when Roy goes to visit Memo in her hotel room and finds Gus there?
10. Explain the term "fair weather fan" and how the term relates to the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of The Natural is based on mythology, particular Arthurian mythology. Choose a myth you are familiar with and compare it to The Natural. Be sure to address the idea of theme is both the myth and The Natural.
Essay Topic 2
The Natural is divided into two parts, Pre-Game and Batter Up! Discuss why Malamud divided the story this way. What has occurred in the fifteen years between the two parts? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Iris tells Hobbs that everyone has two lives to live. What are the two lives revealed in the novel? Illustrate your answer with examples from the novel.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)