|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy promise his fans?
2. What is the Judge's plans for the Knights?
3. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
4. What event causes Memo to view Roy more favorably and go for a ride with him?
5. How is failure treated in The Natural?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the reaction of the fans when The Judge refuses to give Roy a raise. What do they do?
2. What happens when Roy goes to visit Memo in her hotel room and finds Gus there?
3. Shortly before the pennant game, what does Pop get angry with Roy about and what does he do about it?
4. Discuss the ways that The Judge is a hypocrite.
5. What advice does Red Blow give Roy that is supposed to help him get out of his slump?
6. Discuss the dreams of Roy and the failures he has experienced up to this point.
7. Explain how Roy feels about Memo, Bump's girlfriend.
8. What happens that frightens Roy when he and Memo go on their country drive?
9. Sam is on the scene as a character for a very short time. What purpose does he serve as a character?
10. How does Roy feel about Iris when he finds out she is a grandmother and what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the unfolding of Roy's character throughout the novel is related to the seasonal aspects of the vegetative myths from Arthurian tales.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Roy reject the locker-room lecture and hypnotism of Doc Knobb? How do the other Knights regard Doc Knobb? Give examples from the text to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are many themes developed in this novel. Discuss one of them and show how they are developed through the novel. Explain what Malamud is trying to tell the reader about that theme.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)