|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pop tell Roy about Memo?
(a) That he doesn't want Roy to have anything to do with her.
(b) That she doesn't love him.
(c) That she is planning on running away.
(d) That she only brings bad luck to people.
2. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(b) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(c) He decides more money will win her love.
(d) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
3. What is the relationship between Gus and Memo?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She is in love and plans to marry him.
(c) She has not relationship with him at all.
(d) She says he is like a father to her.
4. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He becomes the best batter in history.
(b) He gets into an argument because one of the players doesn't believe it helps.
(c) He leaves the team because Doc's help didn't work for him.
(d) He is benched for refusing to accept it.
5. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he is in love with her.
(b) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
(c) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
(d) That he plans to kill Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major item do the fans give Roy?
2. What does Roy say is the only thing he owes the public?
3. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
4. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
5. What mistake did Pop make that Red tells Roy about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Knights when the first-place Pirates come to town to play against them?
2. When Roy ended up in the hospital from overeating, what did the doctor tell him about his career in baseball?
3. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
4. What sort of fans follow the Knights?
5. When a man comes to Roy and asks him to hit a home run for his sick child, what is Roy's reaction and what does he tell the man?
6. How does Roy feel about Iris after he meets her in person. Why does he feel this way?
7. Shortly before the pennant game, what does Pop get angry with Roy about and what does he do about it?
8. What did Pop tell Roy about the pennant game and his dreams?
9. What happens that frightens Roy when he and Memo go on their country drive?
10. Malamud makes a point of mentioning that the Judge has a stuffed shark in his office. Explain the significance of the shark as related to the Judge's personality and how well it fits.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)