|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
(a) She sympathizes with Roy, but doesn't really feel anything about Bump.
(b) She is glad Bump is gone so Roy could become the team leader.
(c) She hides in her hotel room, grieving.
(d) She is sad for her uncle, Pop, as he misses Bump so much.
2. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides more money will win her love.
(b) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(c) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
(d) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
3. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
(a) He dreams he is a famous sportswriter.
(b) He dreams he wins the Most Valuable Player Award.
(c) He dreams Roy was shot.
(d) He dreams he was stabbed.
4. Who is Sam Simpson?
(a) Roy's father.
(b) Roy's professional scout.
(c) A newspaper reporter.
(d) A baseball pitcher.
5. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
(a) He owns the majority of shares in the team.
(b) He is a fighter and others are afraid of him.
(c) He is so well-liked that others ignore his mean nature.
(d) He is the leading pitcher for the team.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
2. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
3. Who does Doc Knobb accuse of causing the team to lose?
4. What does Pop tell Roy about Memo?
5. What two places does Roy tell the train porter he has visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roy reveal to Harriet and what results from that revelation?
2. Discuss the reaction of the fans when The Judge refuses to give Roy a raise. What do they do?
3. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
4. What reason did Iris give for standing up in the stands and cheering for Roy?
5. What did Pop tell Roy about the pennant game and his dreams?
6. What two things did Sam do that showed how much he cared for Roy?
7. Discuss the irony that Malamud uses in naming the characters Goodwill Banner and Max Mercy.
8. What does Iris say about Roy's obligation to young boys and why he has that obligation?
9. What sort of fans follow the Knights?
10. What does Roy do in the night after they lose the pennant game?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)