|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
(a) The murder of two athletes.
(b) The change of coaches for the Chicago Cubs.
(c) The report of "The Whammer's" successful career.
(d) The sports news headlines for the Chicago Cubs.
2. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
(b) A sports writer.
(c) An Olympic athlete.
(d) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
3. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
(a) He is the leading pitcher for the team.
(b) He is a fighter and others are afraid of him.
(c) He owns the majority of shares in the team.
(d) He is so well-liked that others ignore his mean nature.
4. How is failure treated in The Natural?
(a) It is considered a path to success.
(b) It is considered a fact of life one must endure.
(c) It is considered an opportunity to learn.
(d) It leads to further failure and heartache.
5. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(b) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
(c) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
(d) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
2. What happens to Roy after Bump gets injured and dies?
3. Who is the coach of the Brooklyn Knights when Roy Hobbs signs on?
4. How does Roy relate to Pop?
5. How many years had pass before Roy Hobbs comes to play baseball again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pop hire Doc Knobb, and what was Roy's opinion of him?
2. What does Memo talk about on her ride in the country with Roy?
3. When Roy is teased about his bat being white, he makes the comment that it is the bat's true color. What does the color white indicate, and how does this apply to Roy's bat?
4. Harriet is more of a philosophical thinker than Roy. How did her views of baseball differ from Roy's view?
5. What does Roy reveal to Harriet and what results from that revelation?
6. What did the new young pitcher for the Pirates have in common with Roy, and how was his dream different?
7. Malamud makes a point of mentioning that the Judge has a stuffed shark in his office. Explain the significance of the shark as related to the Judge's personality and how well it fits.
8. How does Roy respond when the fans begin supporting him during the Knights' wins, after having rejected him all through his slump? How does his reaction change?
9. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
10. Why does Roy have doubts about playing with the Knights when he has longed for fifteen years to play with them? What about his dream changes when he meets the team?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)