|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy do to impress Memo and make some money?
(a) He performs magic tricks.
(b) He sells his story to Max Mercy.
(c) He take her out to eat and agrees to a second job.
(d) He bets on the next Knights game and wins.
2. Why does Memo ride in the night with Roy without using headlights?
(a) They need to conserve the car battery.
(b) They are trying to escape without being noticed.
(c) She hates the light and loves darkness.
(d) She didn't know he had the lights off.
3. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He is benched for refusing to accept it.
(b) He gets into an argument because one of the players doesn't believe it helps.
(c) He leaves the team because Doc's help didn't work for him.
(d) He becomes the best batter in history.
4. What two places does Roy tell the train porter he has visited?
(a) Atlanta, Georgia and Chicago, Illinois.
(b) Portland, Oregon and Boise, Idaho.
(c) Miami, Florida and St. Louis, Missouri.
(d) Dallas, Texas and Sante Fe, California.
5. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
(b) That he plans to kill Sam.
(c) That he is in love with her.
(d) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major item do the fans give Roy?
2. Who is the coach of the Brooklyn Knights when Roy Hobbs signs on?
3. How do fans react to Roy after Bump's death?
4. Who is Max Mercy?
5. What does Roy think of Doc Knobb's help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Memo talk about on her ride in the country with Roy?
2. Explain how Roy feels about Memo, Bump's girlfriend.
3. What advice does Red Blow give Roy that is supposed to help him get out of his slump?
4. Malamud makes a point of mentioning that the Judge has a stuffed shark in his office. Explain the significance of the shark as related to the Judge's personality and how well it fits.
5. Why does Roy understand Pop's feelings so well about losing the game for his team? Compare his and Pop's experiences with failure.
6. When a man comes to Roy and asks him to hit a home run for his sick child, what is Roy's reaction and what does he tell the man?
7. How does Memo treat Roy after the fans declare him a hero.
8. At the beginning of the pennant game, Pop came to Roy to talk about his being benched. What did he tell Roy?
9. What happens when Roy goes to visit Memo in her hotel room and finds Gus there?
10. What did the new young pitcher for the Pirates have in common with Roy, and how was his dream different?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)