|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(b) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
(c) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(d) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
2. Why does Max Mercy offer Roy $5000?
(a) He offers it as a loan.
(b) He wants him to throw a game.
(c) He wants to buy the secret of Wonderboy.
(d) For his family's history.
3. What is the relationship between Gus and Memo?
(a) She is in love and plans to marry him.
(b) She has not relationship with him at all.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She says he is like a father to her.
4. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
(a) He askes him to help coach Bump to improve his plays.
(b) He asks him to hit the cover off the ball.
(c) He asks him to make Bump look worse so he could fire him.
(d) He asks him to bench Bump.
5. Why is Roy so good at baseball?
(a) He had practiced with his father when he was young.
(b) He has natural talent in the sport.
(c) Sam drills him daily in how to play well.
(d) He has trained with "The Whammer."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
2. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
3. Who is Sam Simpson?
4. What will it take for Roy to be relieved from his suffering?
5. What does Max Mercy find out about Roy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does Malamud have for repeatedly using dreams in his story? Why is he employing this technique, and what point of view is it?
2. What advice does Red Blow give Roy that is supposed to help him get out of his slump?
3. Why does Roy go back to the lake, and what happens to him?
4. Sam is on the scene as a character for a very short time. What purpose does he serve as a character?
5. What happens that frightens Roy when he and Memo go on their country drive?
6. What two things did Sam do that showed how much he cared for Roy?
7. How does Roy respond when the fans begin supporting him during the Knights' wins, after having rejected him all through his slump? How does his reaction change?
8. A lady in red appears to Roy, but it is not clear if it is in a dream or reality. The lady in red, whether a dream or not, points out something to the reader. What is that fact?
9. Harriet is more of a philosophical thinker than Roy. How did her views of baseball differ from Roy's view?
10. Why is the train significant in Chapter One of the novel? What does it represent about Roy's life?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)