Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(b) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(c) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
(d) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
2. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
(a) To beware of Memo, who is a bad influence.
(b) To watch his money and protect his old age.
(c) To watch out about Fowler, who is jealous of him.
(d) To not play too hard because he was really too old to play baseball and might get injured.
3. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
(a) He craves banana splits.
(b) He craves traveling around the country.
(c) Lots of money and to be the best.
(d) He craves the position of coach of the team.
4. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
(a) Tattoos all over his body.
(b) An eerie glass eye.
(c) A huge wart on the side of his nose.
(d) A huge birthmark on his face.
5. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(b) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(c) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
(d) He decides more money will win her love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the coach of the Brooklyn Knights when Roy Hobbs signs on?
2. Where does The Judge get his money?
3. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
4. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
5. What event causes Memo to view Roy more favorably and go for a ride with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the irony that Malamud uses in naming the characters Goodwill Banner and Max Mercy.
2. Fatal or life-changing accidents seem prevalent in this story. Discuss at least two of them.
3. What does Memo talk about on her ride in the country with Roy?
4. What two things really bother Roy when the doctor tells him he can't play baseball any more?
5. When Roy goes to see a fortune teller when he is in his big slump, she tells him he will meet a beautiful brunette. What is Roy's reaction?
6. What purpose does Malamud have for repeatedly using dreams in his story? Why is he employing this technique, and what point of view is it?
7. What happens when Roy goes to visit Memo in her hotel room and finds Gus there?
8. When she visits Roy in Boston, what excuse does Memo give for rejecting Roy during his earlier slump?
9. Malamud makes a point of mentioning that the Judge has a stuffed shark in his office. Explain the significance of the shark as related to the Judge's personality and how well it fits.
10. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)