|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy say is the only thing he owes the public?
(a) To reveal the bets The Judge is making against his own team.
(b) To tell them about his bat.
(c) To explain what happened to Bump.
(d) To play the best ball game ever.
2. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
3. How do Roy teammates on the Knights treat him?
(a) The pull practical jokes and hide his basson case with his bat.
(b) They tell the coach lies about him.
(c) They pretty much ignore him.
(d) They ask him for advice when he hits well.
4. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
(a) He is so well-liked that others ignore his mean nature.
(b) He owns the majority of shares in the team.
(c) He is a fighter and others are afraid of him.
(d) He is the leading pitcher for the team.
5. Who is Gus Sands?
(a) He is a rival baseball player.
(b) He is a sports reporter with Max Mercy.
(c) He is the new manager of the Knights.
(d) He is a suspicious bookie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Memo ride in the night with Roy without using headlights?
2. Why is Roy so good at baseball?
3. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
4. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
5. How is failure treated in The Natural?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
2. Malamud makes a point of mentioning that the Judge has a stuffed shark in his office. Explain the significance of the shark as related to the Judge's personality and how well it fits.
3. What does Iris say about Roy's obligation to young boys and why he has that obligation?
4. What two things did Sam do that showed how much he cared for Roy?
5. Explain how Roy feels about Memo, Bump's girlfriend.
6. What does Roy do in the night after they lose the pennant game?
7. What did the new young pitcher for the Pirates have in common with Roy, and how was his dream different?
8. Explain the term "fair weather fan" and how the term relates to the novel.
9. What does Memo talk about on her ride in the country with Roy?
10. Fatal or life-changing accidents seem prevalent in this story. Discuss at least two of them.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)