|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Roy and Memo go for a drive?
(a) They see Roy and he get mad that Roy is with Memo.
(b) They get mad at each other and Memo starts walking back.
(c) They get stranded when the car breaks down.
(d) They see a boy in the road and Roy thinks they hit him.
2. What happens when Pop lets Roy pitch in Bump's place?
(a) Bump helps Roy by practicing pitching with him, but gets hurt during the practice.
(b) Bump tries to destroy Roy's reputation as a baseball player.
(c) Bump tries to be a hero and fractures his skull at the wall trying to catch a ball.
(d) Bump cheers Roy on even though he knows he has lost his pitching position.
3. What are Bump Bailey's two main vices?
(a) Gambling and drinking.
(b) Trying to take credit for any wins and badmouthing his coach.
(c) Bad locker room jokes and his attraction to Memo Paris.
(d) Overeating and cursing.
4. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
(a) To not play too hard because he was really too old to play baseball and might get injured.
(b) To beware of Memo, who is a bad influence.
(c) To watch out about Fowler, who is jealous of him.
(d) To watch his money and protect his old age.
5. How does Roy hit baseballs in the game?
(a) He hits with precision and power.
(b) He strikes out often, but gets a home run.
(c) He hits with a crazy curve.
(d) He doesn't hit any better than the rest of his teammates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy think of Doc Knobb's help?
2. How does Pop react to the almost magical quality of Roy's Wonderboy during the first game in which Roy gets to hit?
3. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
4. What does Pop do when he sees Roy and Memo returning to the motel in the morning?
5. How does Roy feel when he becomes the team hero, making news stories and filling sports columns with his achievements?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Roy goes to see a fortune teller when he is in his big slump, she tells him he will meet a beautiful brunette. What is Roy's reaction?
2. What sort of fans follow the Knights?
3. Why is the train significant in Chapter One of the novel? What does it represent about Roy's life?
4. At the beginning of the pennant game, Pop came to Roy to talk about his being benched. What did he tell Roy?
5. What happens that frightens Roy when he and Memo go on their country drive?
6. Discuss the reaction of the fans when The Judge refuses to give Roy a raise. What do they do?
7. Explain the term "fair weather fan" and how the term relates to the novel.
8. When Roy is teased about his bat being white, he makes the comment that it is the bat's true color. What does the color white indicate, and how does this apply to Roy's bat?
9. What did Pop tell Roy about the pennant game and his dreams?
10. Why does Roy have doubts about playing with the Knights when he has longed for fifteen years to play with them? What about his dream changes when he meets the team?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)