|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Roy relate to Pop?
(a) Both played baseball, both loved a woman, and both had no friends.
(b) Bad luck, media harrassment, and the team's poor standing.
(c) Both feared The Judge, both were injured in baseball, and both were about to retire.
(d) Both depended on Red, both were poor, and both played outfield.
2. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
(a) That he doesn't need to practice to be good.
(b) That he will be a great baseball player for the team.
(c) That he likes to eat natural foods and live simply.
(d) That he got his talent naturally and can't be beat.
3. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
(a) They tease him because it was handmade.
(b) They don't care what kind of bat he uses, as long as he hits.
(c) They insist he use a precision bat from the team's stash.
(d) The are fascinated with it and believe in its magic.
4. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) An Olympic athlete.
(b) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
(c) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
(d) A sports writer.
5. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
(a) He lectures him on the evils of money.
(b) He gives him a smaller raise.
(c) He gives him the raise, saying he is a valuable player.
(d) He fires him because of his arrogance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
2. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
3. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
4. What does Pop do when he sees Roy and Memo returning to the motel in the morning?
5. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Memo's reaction to Roy and how is changed over the course of this chapter (Chapter 4).
2. When Roy is teased about his bat being white, he makes the comment that it is the bat's true color. What does the color white indicate, and how does this apply to Roy's bat?
3. Explain the term "fair weather fan" and how the term relates to the novel.
4. What did Roy reveal to Iris about his life when they went driving after she cheered him on?
5. Why does Roy go back to the lake, and what happens to him?
6. When Memo comes to Roy's room she talks to him about money and how much it costs to start a good business. Why did she do that, and what else does she tell him?
7. When Roy ended up in the hospital from overeating, what did the doctor tell him about his career in baseball?
8. What happens when Roy goes to visit Memo in her hotel room and finds Gus there?
9. What two things really bother Roy when the doctor tells him he can't play baseball any more?
10. How did Roy feel about accepting The Judge's offer and what did he do?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)