|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the bassoon case that Roy carries on the train?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A bassoon.
(c) A set of tools.
(d) His bat.
2. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
3. What does Roy dream of the first night with the Knights as he drifts off to sleep?
(a) About trains and the shooting by Harriet Bird.
(b) About winning the next game.
(c) About pitching a perfect game.
(d) About being named MVP.
4. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
(a) She reassures him that she knows he will be.
(b) She shoots him.
(c) She ridicules him for his frivilous ambitions.
(d) She cheers him on.
5. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
(a) He asks him to hit the cover off the ball.
(b) He asks him to bench Bump.
(c) He asks him to make Bump look worse so he could fire him.
(d) He askes him to help coach Bump to improve his plays.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
2. Where does Roy travel from when he heads to the Chicago Cubs to try out?
3. Who does Doc Knobb accuse of causing the team to lose?
4. What happens to Roy that Max Mercy finds out when he comes back to the motel?
5. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roy do in the night after they lose the pennant game?
2. What does Iris say about Roy's obligation to young boys and why he has that obligation?
3. How does Memo treat Roy after the fans declare him a hero.
4. Why does Roy understand Pop's feelings so well about losing the game for his team? Compare his and Pop's experiences with failure.
5. What does The Judge do when Roy asks him for a raise?
6. When Roy ended up in the hospital from overeating, what did the doctor tell him about his career in baseball?
7. Explain how Roy feels about Memo, Bump's girlfriend.
8. Why did Pop hire Doc Knobb, and what was Roy's opinion of him?
9. What happens to Bump when Roy pitches in his place, and why?
10. What two things really bother Roy when the doctor tells him he can't play baseball any more?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)