|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Roy so good at baseball?
(a) He has natural talent in the sport.
(b) Sam drills him daily in how to play well.
(c) He had practiced with his father when he was young.
(d) He has trained with "The Whammer."
2. What is in the bassoon case that Roy carries on the train?
(a) His bat.
(b) A bassoon.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A set of tools.
3. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he plans to kill Sam.
(b) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
(c) That he is in love with her.
(d) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
4. How do fans react to Roy after Bump's death?
(a) They cheer for Roy as long as he is successful.
(b) They demand a memorial for Bump.
(c) They leave the stadium and don't come back.
(d) They blame Roy for Bump's death and shun him.
5. What mistake did Pop make that Red tells Roy about?
(a) He gave a really bad call in coaching that caused him to lose.
(b) He got caught between bases and caused his team to lose.
(c) He forced a player to throw a game.
(d) He embezzled funds from The Judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Roy and Memo go for a drive?
2. What happens when Pop lets Roy pitch in Bump's place?
3. How does Roy hit baseballs in the game?
4. What major item do the fans give Roy?
5. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event happens to cause Roy to get out of his slump (more than hitting a home run).
2. What did Roy reveal to Iris about his life when they went driving after she cheered him on?
3. What does The Judge write in his letter to Roy with the $35 thousand?
4. Discuss Memo's reaction to Roy and how is changed over the course of this chapter (Chapter 4).
5. Explain the term "fair weather fan" and how the term relates to the novel.
6. What did Pop tell Roy about the pennant game and his dreams?
7. What does Roy decide to do to change his luck and get out of the great slump he is in?
8. How does Roy feel about Iris after he meets her in person. Why does he feel this way?
9. Discuss the ways that The Judge is a hypocrite.
10. Why does Roy have doubts about playing with the Knights when he has longed for fifteen years to play with them? What about his dream changes when he meets the team?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)