|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Roy relate to Pop?
(a) Both played baseball, both loved a woman, and both had no friends.
(b) Bad luck, media harrassment, and the team's poor standing.
(c) Both depended on Red, both were poor, and both played outfield.
(d) Both feared The Judge, both were injured in baseball, and both were about to retire.
2. Why is Roy so good at baseball?
(a) He has trained with "The Whammer."
(b) He had practiced with his father when he was young.
(c) He has natural talent in the sport.
(d) Sam drills him daily in how to play well.
3. How does Roy get a black eye?
(a) From a car wreck.
(b) Memo punched him.
(c) From a fight with Pop.
(d) He gets drunk and fights with a stranger.
4. Why does Max Mercy offer Roy $5000?
(a) He wants to buy the secret of Wonderboy.
(b) He offers it as a loan.
(c) For his family's history.
(d) He wants him to throw a game.
5. What kind of fans follow the Knights?
(a) They are fickle, only supporting them when they are winning.
(b) They are loyal to the team whether they win or not.
(c) They try to find ways to help them find a winning streak.
(d) They tell all the bad secrets of the team, giving them a bad reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
2. How is failure treated in The Natural?
3. What happens when Roy meets Gus?
4. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
5. Who is the coach of the Brooklyn Knights when Roy Hobbs signs on?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Memo comes to Roy's room she talks to him about money and how much it costs to start a good business. Why did she do that, and what else does she tell him?
2. Why did Pop hire Doc Knobb, and what was Roy's opinion of him?
3. How does Roy respond when the fans begin supporting him during the Knights' wins, after having rejected him all through his slump? How does his reaction change?
4. A lady in red appears to Roy, but it is not clear if it is in a dream or reality. The lady in red, whether a dream or not, points out something to the reader. What is that fact?
5. Discuss Memo's reaction to Roy and how is changed over the course of this chapter (Chapter 4).
6. What does Roy do in the night after they lose the pennant game?
7. Shortly before the pennant game, what does Pop get angry with Roy about and what does he do about it?
8. What does The Judge write in his letter to Roy with the $35 thousand?
9. What advice does Red Blow give Roy that is supposed to help him get out of his slump?
10. Discuss the irony that Malamud uses in naming the characters Goodwill Banner and Max Mercy.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)