|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
(a) The Judge.
(b) Bump Bailey.
(c) Pop Fisher.
(d) Max Mercy.
2. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(b) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
(c) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(d) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
3. What does Roy and Memo think they need for happiness?
(a) To win at everything.
(b) A dream home and fancy car.
(c) People and things.
(d) To get to travel together.
4. What does Roy think of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He refuses it and leaves the group.
(b) He believes it helps the team.
(c) He goes along with it, but doesn't believe it helps.
(d) He asks for an extra practice session to improve his batting.
5. What does Roy promise his fans?
(a) To stay with the team at least five years.
(b) To take care of Memo and treat her well.
(c) To use his money wisely if he gets a raise.
(d) To become the best ball player ever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
2. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
3. What viewpoint does the author take when he tells us about Roy's declaration and what it might lead to?
4. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
5. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
2. What does Iris say about Roy's obligation to young boys and why he has that obligation?
3. When Roy goes to see a fortune teller when he is in his big slump, she tells him he will meet a beautiful brunette. What is Roy's reaction?
4. Malamud makes a point of mentioning that the Judge has a stuffed shark in his office. Explain the significance of the shark as related to the Judge's personality and how well it fits.
5. When Roy is teased about his bat being white, he makes the comment that it is the bat's true color. What does the color white indicate, and how does this apply to Roy's bat?
6. How does Roy respond when the fans begin supporting him during the Knights' wins, after having rejected him all through his slump? How does his reaction change?
7. Why does Roy understand Pop's feelings so well about losing the game for his team? Compare his and Pop's experiences with failure.
8. What does Roy reveal to Harriet and what results from that revelation?
9. How does Iris feel about Roy when she meets him in person, and why?
10. How does Memo treat Roy after the fans declare him a hero.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)