|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy do that gains Memo's approval and laughter?
(a) He pitches a winning game for the Knights.
(b) He takes her to her favorite restaurant.
(c) He does a comedy act just for her.
(d) He does magic tricks that win his money back from Gus.
2. How is failure treated in The Natural?
(a) It is considered an opportunity to learn.
(b) It leads to further failure and heartache.
(c) It is considered a fact of life one must endure.
(d) It is considered a path to success.
3. What does Roy say is the only thing he owes the public?
(a) To play the best ball game ever.
(b) To tell them about his bat.
(c) To reveal the bets The Judge is making against his own team.
(d) To explain what happened to Bump.
4. Who is Memo Paris?
(a) Roy's girlfriend.
(b) A loyal fan that follows the team.
(c) A reporter that writes good things about the team.
(d) Pop's niece and Bump's girlfriend.
5. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
(a) She reassures him that she knows he will be.
(b) She ridicules him for his frivilous ambitions.
(c) She shoots him.
(d) She cheers him on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy dream of the first night with the Knights as he drifts off to sleep?
2. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
3. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
4. What does Roy do to impress Memo and make some money?
5. How do Roy teammates on the Knights treat him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Roy reveal to Iris about his life when they went driving after she cheered him on?
2. What happens that frightens Roy when he and Memo go on their country drive?
3. What does Roy decide to do to change his luck and get out of the great slump he is in?
4. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
5. When Roy is in Memo's motel room, and she is talking about Gus, what does say about their relationship? Explain what the true nature of that relationship is.
6. A lady in red appears to Roy, but it is not clear if it is in a dream or reality. The lady in red, whether a dream or not, points out something to the reader. What is that fact?
7. How does Memo treat Roy after the fans declare him a hero.
8. What advice does Red Blow give Roy that is supposed to help him get out of his slump?
9. What did Roy see immediately after he beat up The Judge and left the tower where he was?
10. What event happens to cause Roy to get out of his slump (more than hitting a home run).
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)