|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
(a) She cheers him on.
(b) She shoots him.
(c) She ridicules him for his frivilous ambitions.
(d) She reassures him that she knows he will be.
2. What major item do the fans give Roy?
(a) A white Mercedes-Benz.
(b) A new bat to replace his lost one.
(c) A new home.
(d) A whole wardrobe of clothes because he dresses so poorly.
3. Who is Gus Sands?
(a) He is a suspicious bookie.
(b) He is a sports reporter with Max Mercy.
(c) He is the new manager of the Knights.
(d) He is a rival baseball player.
4. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
(b) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
(c) That he is in love with her.
(d) That he plans to kill Sam.
5. How does Roy get a black eye?
(a) Memo punched him.
(b) He gets drunk and fights with a stranger.
(c) From a car wreck.
(d) From a fight with Pop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Roy travel from when he heads to the Chicago Cubs to try out?
2. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
3. Who is Sam Simpson?
4. Why does Pop dislike Bump Bailey?
5. How do fans react to Roy after Bump's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things did Sam do that showed how much he cared for Roy?
2. Discuss the ways that The Judge is a hypocrite.
3. What advice does Red Blow give Roy that is supposed to help him get out of his slump?
4. How does Iris feel about Roy when she meets him in person, and why?
5. What happens when Roy goes to visit Memo in her hotel room and finds Gus there?
6. When Roy is in Memo's motel room, and she is talking about Gus, what does say about their relationship? Explain what the true nature of that relationship is.
7. Discuss the reaction of the fans when The Judge refuses to give Roy a raise. What do they do?
8. Why does Roy have doubts about playing with the Knights when he has longed for fifteen years to play with them? What about his dream changes when he meets the team?
9. What problem does Pop Fisher have with his pitcher, Fowler, and how does that affect the games?
10. Why does Roy understand Pop's feelings so well about losing the game for his team? Compare his and Pop's experiences with failure.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)