|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
(a) To play his best if Pop puts him in.
(b) To always be his friend.
(c) To not tell Pop about Red's revelation of his mistake.
(d) To stay away from Red's girlfriend.
2. How does Roy relate to Pop?
(a) Both played baseball, both loved a woman, and both had no friends.
(b) Both depended on Red, both were poor, and both played outfield.
(c) Both feared The Judge, both were injured in baseball, and both were about to retire.
(d) Bad luck, media harrassment, and the team's poor standing.
3. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
(a) He got it from a famous player that visited his hometown.
(b) He carved it from a tree that got struck by lightening.
(c) His dad gave it to him as a young boy.
(d) Sam gave it to him when he began representing him.
4. By what name does Roy call his personal bat?
(b) He did give it a name.
(c) Slam Hitter.
5. What does Max Mercy do that is harmful to Roy?
(a) He blames him publicly for Sam's death.
(b) He tells about his past when he couldn't play baseball.
(c) He claims he is bad luck to a team.
(d) He writes suspicions about his bat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roy feel when he becomes the team hero, making news stories and filling sports columns with his achievements?
2. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
3. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
4. What is in the bassoon case that Roy carries on the train?
5. What baseball position does Roy Hobbs try out for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event happens to cause Roy to get out of his slump (more than hitting a home run).
2. What does Roy decide to do to change his luck and get out of the great slump he is in?
3. How does Memo treat Roy after the fans declare him a hero.
4. What reason did Iris give for standing up in the stands and cheering for Roy?
5. What sort of fans follow the Knights?
6. What happens to the Knights when the first-place Pirates come to town to play against them?
7. Fatal or life-changing accidents seem prevalent in this story. Discuss at least two of them.
8. How does Roy react in the beginning when Memo comes to visit him in Boston?
9. What did the new young pitcher for the Pirates have in common with Roy, and how was his dream different?
10. What does Roy reveal to Harriet and what results from that revelation?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)