|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy do that gains Memo's approval and laughter?
(a) He does magic tricks that win his money back from Gus.
(b) He pitches a winning game for the Knights.
(c) He takes her to her favorite restaurant.
(d) He does a comedy act just for her.
2. Where does The Judge get his money?
(a) From ticket sales to Knights games.
(b) From gambling.
(c) No one knows.
(d) From players whom is he blackmailing.
3. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
(a) He gives him the raise, saying he is a valuable player.
(b) He fires him because of his arrogance.
(c) He gives him a smaller raise.
(d) He lectures him on the evils of money.
4. How does Roy feel when he becomes the team hero, making news stories and filling sports columns with his achievements?
(a) He is ecstatic that he is a hero.
(b) He is proud to be able to help his team out of their slump.
(c) He is unhappy, feeling like he has a lot more to live for, and wants to conquer the world.
(d) He is happy, but misses Bump, who should have been the hitter.
5. What happens when Pop lets Roy pitch in Bump's place?
(a) Bump tries to be a hero and fractures his skull at the wall trying to catch a ball.
(b) Bump cheers Roy on even though he knows he has lost his pitching position.
(c) Bump helps Roy by practicing pitching with him, but gets hurt during the practice.
(d) Bump tries to destroy Roy's reputation as a baseball player.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years had pass before Roy Hobbs comes to play baseball again?
2. By what name does Roy call his personal bat?
3. What is the Judge's plans for the Knights?
4. What happens when Roy and Memo go for a drive?
5. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Roy is teased about his bat being white, he makes the comment that it is the bat's true color. What does the color white indicate, and how does this apply to Roy's bat?
2. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
3. How did Roy feel about accepting The Judge's offer and what did he do?
4. At the beginning of the pennant game, Pop came to Roy to talk about his being benched. What did he tell Roy?
5. Discuss the irony that Malamud uses in naming the characters Goodwill Banner and Max Mercy.
6. What does Roy decide to do to change his luck and get out of the great slump he is in?
7. What does Roy do in the night after they lose the pennant game?
8. What did Iris tell Roy in her letter, and what was his reaction to it?
9. How does Roy respond when the fans begin supporting him during the Knights' wins, after having rejected him all through his slump? How does his reaction change?
10. When Roy goes to see a fortune teller when he is in his big slump, she tells him he will meet a beautiful brunette. What is Roy's reaction?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)