|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy and Memo think they need for happiness?
(a) A dream home and fancy car.
(b) To win at everything.
(c) People and things.
(d) To get to travel together.
2. Who is Sam Simpson?
(a) Roy's professional scout.
(b) Roy's father.
(c) A newspaper reporter.
(d) A baseball pitcher.
3. What two places does Roy tell the train porter he has visited?
(a) Atlanta, Georgia and Chicago, Illinois.
(b) Portland, Oregon and Boise, Idaho.
(c) Dallas, Texas and Sante Fe, California.
(d) Miami, Florida and St. Louis, Missouri.
4. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
(b) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
(c) They petition The Judge to give him one.
(d) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
5. Roy consistently reaches out for love. Who does he reach out to in the slump before the game in which he pitches?
(a) Memo Paris.
(b) Iris Lemon.
(c) His teammates.
(d) Harriet Bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake did Pop make that Red tells Roy about?
2. What does Roy promise his fans?
3. Who is Max Mercy?
4. What does Harriet keep always by her side?
5. What major item do the fans give Roy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Red Blow give Roy that is supposed to help him get out of his slump?
2. How does Iris feel about Roy when she meets him in person, and why?
3. What happens that frightens Roy when he and Memo go on their country drive?
4. What does Roy decide to do to change his luck and get out of the great slump he is in?
5. How does Roy respond when the fans begin supporting him during the Knights' wins, after having rejected him all through his slump? How does his reaction change?
6. What did the new young pitcher for the Pirates have in common with Roy, and how was his dream different?
7. What does The Judge do when Roy asks him for a raise?
8. Why does Roy have doubts about playing with the Knights when he has longed for fifteen years to play with them? What about his dream changes when he meets the team?
9. When Roy goes to see a fortune teller when he is in his big slump, she tells him he will meet a beautiful brunette. What is Roy's reaction?
10. What two things did Sam do that showed how much he cared for Roy?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)