|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
(a) To stay away from Red's girlfriend.
(b) To play his best if Pop puts him in.
(c) To always be his friend.
(d) To not tell Pop about Red's revelation of his mistake.
2. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
(a) About her wonderful car.
(b) About how much Bump loved her.
(c) About how much money she has.
(d) About her being a Beauty Queen.
3. How do Roy teammates on the Knights treat him?
(a) They tell the coach lies about him.
(b) They ask him for advice when he hits well.
(c) They pretty much ignore him.
(d) The pull practical jokes and hide his basson case with his bat.
4. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
(a) He is thrilled to get his lifelong dream.
(b) He wants to play for at least 10 years.
(c) He wants to run away for good.
(d) He is nervous that he might mess up.
5. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
(a) Bump Bailey.
(b) Max Mercy.
(c) The Judge.
(d) Pop Fisher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Roy after Bump gets injured and dies?
2. How is failure treated in The Natural?
3. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
4. How does Roy feel when he becomes the team hero, making news stories and filling sports columns with his achievements?
5. What baseball position does Roy Hobbs try out for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the white rose that Harriet carries?
2. What happens that frightens Roy when he and Memo go on their country drive?
3. Malamud makes a point of mentioning that the Judge has a stuffed shark in his office. Explain the significance of the shark as related to the Judge's personality and how well it fits.
4. When Roy is in Memo's motel room, and she is talking about Gus, what does say about their relationship? Explain what the true nature of that relationship is.
5. How does Iris feel about Roy when she meets him in person, and why?
6. Discuss the ways that The Judge is a hypocrite.
7. What did Pop tell Roy about the pennant game and his dreams?
8. What does Roy do in the night after they lose the pennant game?
9. A lady in red appears to Roy, but it is not clear if it is in a dream or reality. The lady in red, whether a dream or not, points out something to the reader. What is that fact?
10. When she visits Roy in Boston, what excuse does Memo give for rejecting Roy during his earlier slump?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)