|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
(b) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(c) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(d) He decides more money will win her love.
2. Why does Pop dislike Bump Bailey?
(a) Because Bump can't play well.
(b) Because Bump wants his coaching job.
(c) Because of his locker room jokes and his love of Pop's niece.
(d) Because Bump threw a major game.
3. Roy consistently reaches out for love. Who does he reach out to in the slump before the game in which he pitches?
(a) Harriet Bird.
(b) Memo Paris.
(c) His teammates.
(d) Iris Lemon.
4. What does Roy think of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He asks for an extra practice session to improve his batting.
(b) He believes it helps the team.
(c) He goes along with it, but doesn't believe it helps.
(d) He refuses it and leaves the group.
5. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
(a) Pop Fisher.
(b) Bump Bailey.
(c) The Judge.
(d) Max Mercy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Judge's plans for the Knights?
2. What viewpoint does the author take when he tells us about Roy's declaration and what it might lead to?
3. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
4. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
5. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roy feel about Iris after he meets her in person. Why does he feel this way?
2. What does Roy reveal to Harriet and what results from that revelation?
3. What two things really bother Roy when the doctor tells him he can't play baseball any more?
4. What does Memo talk about on her ride in the country with Roy?
5. Why does Roy go back to the lake, and what happens to him?
6. What does The Judge do when Roy asks him for a raise?
7. What event happens to cause Roy to get out of his slump (more than hitting a home run).
8. Explain how Roy feels about Memo, Bump's girlfriend.
9. How does Memo treat Roy after the fans declare him a hero.
10. How does Roy respond when the fans begin supporting him during the Knights' wins, after having rejected him all through his slump? How does his reaction change?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)