|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Judge's plans for the Knights?
(a) He wants to fire Pop and gain ownership.
(b) He wants to sell the team to Roy, but Roy doesn't have the money to buy it.
(c) He wants to promote Roy as his best player.
(d) He wants to make the Knights a household word.
2. How does Roy get a black eye?
(a) From a car wreck.
(b) He gets drunk and fights with a stranger.
(c) Memo punched him.
(d) From a fight with Pop.
3. How does Harriet respond to Roy when he makes romantic advances toward her?
(a) She slaps his face.
(b) She goes and gets the conductor to throw him out.
(c) She reacts coldly.
(d) She is very tender and warm toward him.
4. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
(a) To always be his friend.
(b) To not tell Pop about Red's revelation of his mistake.
(c) To play his best if Pop puts him in.
(d) To stay away from Red's girlfriend.
5. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
(a) She is glad Bump is gone so Roy could become the team leader.
(b) She sympathizes with Roy, but doesn't really feel anything about Bump.
(c) She hides in her hotel room, grieving.
(d) She is sad for her uncle, Pop, as he misses Bump so much.
6. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
7. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(b) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
(c) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(d) He decides more money will win her love.
8. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
(a) An eerie glass eye.
(b) Tattoos all over his body.
(c) A huge wart on the side of his nose.
(d) A huge birthmark on his face.
9. Where does Roy travel from when he heads to the Chicago Cubs to try out?
(a) From Atlanta, GA.
(b) From the Northeastern coast.
(c) From Texas.
(d) From the western hills of the United States.
10. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
(a) About how much Bump loved her.
(b) About her wonderful car.
(c) About her being a Beauty Queen.
(d) About how much money she has.
11. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
(a) He is thrilled to get his lifelong dream.
(b) He is nervous that he might mess up.
(c) He wants to play for at least 10 years.
(d) He wants to run away for good.
12. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
(a) He lectures him on the evils of money.
(b) He gives him the raise, saying he is a valuable player.
(c) He gives him a smaller raise.
(d) He fires him because of his arrogance.
13. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
(b) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(c) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(d) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
14. What event causes Memo to view Roy more favorably and go for a ride with him?
(a) He gets his raise, finally.
(b) He tells her about his plans to become the best ball player ever.
(c) He gets a white Mercedes-Benz from his fans.
(d) He tells her about Bump's gambling and losses, making her glad Bump didn't marry her.
15. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He leaves the team because Doc's help didn't work for him.
(b) He becomes the best batter in history.
(c) He gets into an argument because one of the players doesn't believe it helps.
(d) He is benched for refusing to accept it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the bassoon case that Roy carries on the train?
2. What does the author tell us about Roy's declaration to become the best ball player ever?
3. Why does Memo ride in the night with Roy without using headlights?
4. What does Pop do when he sees Roy and Memo returning to the motel in the morning?
5. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)