|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do fans react to Roy after Bump's death?
(a) They cheer for Roy as long as he is successful.
(b) They demand a memorial for Bump.
(c) They leave the stadium and don't come back.
(d) They blame Roy for Bump's death and shun him.
2. By what name does Roy call his personal bat?
(a) Slam Hitter.
(d) He did give it a name.
3. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
(a) He has heard that Roy threw a baseball game.
(b) He thinks Roy is inexperienced.
(c) He doesn't like baseball.
(d) He is jealous of Harriet and Roy.
4. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
(b) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
(c) A sports writer.
(d) An Olympic athlete.
5. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he is in love with her.
(b) That he plans to kill Sam.
(c) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
(d) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
6. How many years had pass before Roy Hobbs comes to play baseball again?
7. What is the relationship between Gus and Memo?
(a) She is in love and plans to marry him.
(b) She says he is like a father to her.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She has not relationship with him at all.
8. Why does Pop dislike Bump Bailey?
(a) Because Bump wants his coaching job.
(b) Because Bump can't play well.
(c) Because of his locker room jokes and his love of Pop's niece.
(d) Because Bump threw a major game.
9. What does Roy think of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He asks for an extra practice session to improve his batting.
(b) He believes it helps the team.
(c) He refuses it and leaves the group.
(d) He goes along with it, but doesn't believe it helps.
10. What does Roy do to impress Memo and make some money?
(a) He take her out to eat and agrees to a second job.
(b) He bets on the next Knights game and wins.
(c) He performs magic tricks.
(d) He sells his story to Max Mercy.
11. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
(a) About how much money she has.
(b) About how much Bump loved her.
(c) About her being a Beauty Queen.
(d) About her wonderful car.
12. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
(a) He dreams he is a famous sportswriter.
(b) He dreams Roy was shot.
(c) He dreams he was stabbed.
(d) He dreams he wins the Most Valuable Player Award.
13. What does Max Mercy find out about Roy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) That he is responsible for Bump's death.
(b) That he loves Memo.
(c) That he was denied a raise.
(d) That he really doesn't like baseball, but wants to make a name for himself.
14. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
(a) She is sad for her uncle, Pop, as he misses Bump so much.
(b) She is glad Bump is gone so Roy could become the team leader.
(c) She hides in her hotel room, grieving.
(d) She sympathizes with Roy, but doesn't really feel anything about Bump.
15. What happens to Roy after Bump gets injured and dies?
(a) He is accused of manslaughter.
(b) He is rejected by his teammates who all liked Bump.
(c) He inherits Bump's position and starts setting records.
(d) He is thrown off the team.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
2. Why is Roy so good at baseball?
3. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
4. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
5. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)