|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
(b) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(c) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(d) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
2. What happens to Roy after Bump gets injured and dies?
(a) He is thrown off the team.
(b) He inherits Bump's position and starts setting records.
(c) He is accused of manslaughter.
(d) He is rejected by his teammates who all liked Bump.
3. Why does Memo ride in the night with Roy without using headlights?
(a) They are trying to escape without being noticed.
(b) She didn't know he had the lights off.
(c) She hates the light and loves darkness.
(d) They need to conserve the car battery.
4. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(b) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
(c) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(d) He decides more money will win her love.
5. What are Bump Bailey's two main vices?
(a) Overeating and cursing.
(b) Gambling and drinking.
(c) Trying to take credit for any wins and badmouthing his coach.
(d) Bad locker room jokes and his attraction to Memo Paris.
6. What mistake did Pop make that Red tells Roy about?
(a) He got caught between bases and caused his team to lose.
(b) He gave a really bad call in coaching that caused him to lose.
(c) He forced a player to throw a game.
(d) He embezzled funds from The Judge.
7. What does Roy think of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He goes along with it, but doesn't believe it helps.
(b) He asks for an extra practice session to improve his batting.
(c) He believes it helps the team.
(d) He refuses it and leaves the group.
8. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) A sports writer.
(b) An Olympic athlete.
(c) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
(d) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
9. What does Max Mercy find out about Roy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) That he loves Memo.
(b) That he really doesn't like baseball, but wants to make a name for himself.
(c) That he is responsible for Bump's death.
(d) That he was denied a raise.
10. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
(a) She shoots him.
(b) She reassures him that she knows he will be.
(c) She ridicules him for his frivilous ambitions.
(d) She cheers him on.
11. What happens to Sam Simpson?
(a) He dies from injuries from a pitch by Roy.
(b) He dies from food poisoning from food bought at the carnival.
(c) Harriet Bird shot him.
(d) He joins the Chicago Cubs.
12. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
(a) The change of coaches for the Chicago Cubs.
(b) The report of "The Whammer's" successful career.
(c) The sports news headlines for the Chicago Cubs.
(d) The murder of two athletes.
13. Where does The Judge get his money?
(a) From players whom is he blackmailing.
(b) From ticket sales to Knights games.
(c) No one knows.
(d) From gambling.
14. What does Roy dream of the first night with the Knights as he drifts off to sleep?
(a) About being named MVP.
(b) About winning the next game.
(c) About pitching a perfect game.
(d) About trains and the shooting by Harriet Bird.
15. How many years had pass before Roy Hobbs comes to play baseball again?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
2. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
3. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
4. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
5. What does Pop do when he sees Roy and Memo returning to the motel in the morning?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)