|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Gus and Memo?
(a) She has not relationship with him at all.
(b) She hates him.
(c) She is in love and plans to marry him.
(d) She says he is like a father to her.
2. What happens when Roy meets Gus?
(a) Gus talks him into selling his story to Max Mercy.
(b) Gus offers him higher pay to work for him.
(c) He gambles and looses each time.
(d) Gus tells him the fans are disgruntled with him.
3. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
(b) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
(c) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
(d) They petition The Judge to give him one.
4. What happens to Roy that Max Mercy finds out when he comes back to the motel?
(a) That Memo has dumped him.
(b) That he plans to quit baseball.
(c) That he had a fight with Pop.
(d) That he has a black eye.
5. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
(a) He hypnotizes them.
(b) He practices with them every day.
(c) He gives them a pep talk before a game.
(d) He gives them steroids to make them stronger.
6. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
(b) That he is in love with her.
(c) That he plans to kill Sam.
(d) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
7. What does Gus brag to Roy about when they are talking in Memo's motel room?
(a) He brags about how much money he has.
(b) He brags about his prowess as a ball player.
(c) He brags about how he takes advantage of people.
(d) He brags about how good he is at gambling.
8. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
(a) He wants to run away for good.
(b) He is nervous that he might mess up.
(c) He wants to play for at least 10 years.
(d) He is thrilled to get his lifelong dream.
9. How does Harriet respond to Roy when he makes romantic advances toward her?
(a) She goes and gets the conductor to throw him out.
(b) She slaps his face.
(c) She is very tender and warm toward him.
(d) She reacts coldly.
10. What does Roy dream of the first night with the Knights as he drifts off to sleep?
(a) About trains and the shooting by Harriet Bird.
(b) About being named MVP.
(c) About pitching a perfect game.
(d) About winning the next game.
11. What are Bump Bailey's two main vices?
(a) Gambling and drinking.
(b) Trying to take credit for any wins and badmouthing his coach.
(c) Bad locker room jokes and his attraction to Memo Paris.
(d) Overeating and cursing.
12. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He becomes the best batter in history.
(b) He leaves the team because Doc's help didn't work for him.
(c) He gets into an argument because one of the players doesn't believe it helps.
(d) He is benched for refusing to accept it.
13. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
(a) He is so well-liked that others ignore his mean nature.
(b) He is the leading pitcher for the team.
(c) He is a fighter and others are afraid of him.
(d) He owns the majority of shares in the team.
14. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
(a) He is jealous of Bump's relationship with the coach.
(b) He looks up to him as a mentor, since both play the outfield.
(c) He tries to teach Bump some techniques to help the team.
(d) He dislikes him because of his bad jokes and his lack of respect for the team or the coach.
15. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
(a) A huge birthmark on his face.
(b) Tattoos all over his body.
(c) A huge wart on the side of his nose.
(d) An eerie glass eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
2. Why does Memo ride in the night with Roy without using headlights?
3. What happens to Roy after Bump gets injured and dies?
4. What does Memo's reaction to Bump's death tell the reader, given her lack of relationship with him?
5. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)