|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pop do when he sees Roy and Memo returning to the motel in the morning?
(a) He benches Roy for being out all night.
(b) He asks Roy if he and Memo are planning on getting married.
(c) He fines Roy $100 for not being in his room the night before.
(d) He tells Roy to leave Memo alone and not to go out with her any more.
2. What does Roy promise his fans?
(a) To stay with the team at least five years.
(b) To use his money wisely if he gets a raise.
(c) To become the best ball player ever.
(d) To take care of Memo and treat her well.
3. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
(a) He is jealous of Harriet and Roy.
(b) He thinks Roy is inexperienced.
(c) He has heard that Roy threw a baseball game.
(d) He doesn't like baseball.
4. Why does Pop dislike Bump Bailey?
(a) Because Bump wants his coaching job.
(b) Because of his locker room jokes and his love of Pop's niece.
(c) Because Bump can't play well.
(d) Because Bump threw a major game.
5. What does Max Mercy do that is harmful to Roy?
(a) He writes suspicions about his bat.
(b) He blames him publicly for Sam's death.
(c) He claims he is bad luck to a team.
(d) He tells about his past when he couldn't play baseball.
6. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
(a) He tries to teach Bump some techniques to help the team.
(b) He dislikes him because of his bad jokes and his lack of respect for the team or the coach.
(c) He is jealous of Bump's relationship with the coach.
(d) He looks up to him as a mentor, since both play the outfield.
7. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
(a) His dad gave it to him as a young boy.
(b) He got it from a famous player that visited his hometown.
(c) Sam gave it to him when he began representing him.
(d) He carved it from a tree that got struck by lightening.
8. What does Pop tell Roy about Memo?
(a) That she is planning on running away.
(b) That she only brings bad luck to people.
(c) That he doesn't want Roy to have anything to do with her.
(d) That she doesn't love him.
9. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
(a) Roy and Sam stop and play some carnival games.
(b) The passengers on the train eat at a concession booth.
(c) Roy strikes out the "Whammer."
(d) Roy gets a job as a "hawker."
10. What does Roy do that gains Memo's approval and laughter?
(a) He pitches a winning game for the Knights.
(b) He takes her to her favorite restaurant.
(c) He does magic tricks that win his money back from Gus.
(d) He does a comedy act just for her.
11. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
(a) Fowler and Eddie.
(b) Pop Fisher and Red Blow.
(c) Harriet and Memo.
(d) The Judge and Bump Bailey.
12. What kind of fans follow the Knights?
(a) They tell all the bad secrets of the team, giving them a bad reputation.
(b) They are fickle, only supporting them when they are winning.
(c) They try to find ways to help them find a winning streak.
(d) They are loyal to the team whether they win or not.
13. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They petition The Judge to give him one.
(b) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
(c) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
(d) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
14. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
15. How do Roy teammates on the Knights treat him?
(a) The pull practical jokes and hide his basson case with his bat.
(b) They pretty much ignore him.
(c) They tell the coach lies about him.
(d) They ask him for advice when he hits well.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
2. What will it take for Roy to be relieved from his suffering?
3. Why does Max Mercy offer Roy $5000?
4. How does Harriet respond to Roy when he makes romantic advances toward her?
5. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)