|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pop tell Roy about Memo?
(a) That she only brings bad luck to people.
(b) That he doesn't want Roy to have anything to do with her.
(c) That she is planning on running away.
(d) That she doesn't love him.
2. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
(a) Roy gets a job as a "hawker."
(b) Roy strikes out the "Whammer."
(c) The passengers on the train eat at a concession booth.
(d) Roy and Sam stop and play some carnival games.
3. What baseball position does Roy Hobbs try out for?
(b) Right fielder.
(d) Left fielder.
4. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
(b) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(c) He decides more money will win her love.
(d) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
5. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) A sports writer.
(b) An Olympic athlete.
(c) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
(d) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
6. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
(a) That he got his talent naturally and can't be beat.
(b) That he will be a great baseball player for the team.
(c) That he doesn't need to practice to be good.
(d) That he likes to eat natural foods and live simply.
7. What major item do the fans give Roy?
(a) A new home.
(b) A white Mercedes-Benz.
(c) A new bat to replace his lost one.
(d) A whole wardrobe of clothes because he dresses so poorly.
8. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He becomes the best batter in history.
(b) He leaves the team because Doc's help didn't work for him.
(c) He is benched for refusing to accept it.
(d) He gets into an argument because one of the players doesn't believe it helps.
9. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
(a) To play his best if Pop puts him in.
(b) To not tell Pop about Red's revelation of his mistake.
(c) To always be his friend.
(d) To stay away from Red's girlfriend.
10. What is the Judge's plans for the Knights?
(a) He wants to sell the team to Roy, but Roy doesn't have the money to buy it.
(b) He wants to promote Roy as his best player.
(c) He wants to make the Knights a household word.
(d) He wants to fire Pop and gain ownership.
11. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
(a) He doesn't like baseball.
(b) He thinks Roy is inexperienced.
(c) He has heard that Roy threw a baseball game.
(d) He is jealous of Harriet and Roy.
12. What does Roy think of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He believes it helps the team.
(b) He goes along with it, but doesn't believe it helps.
(c) He refuses it and leaves the group.
(d) He asks for an extra practice session to improve his batting.
13. What does the author tell us about Roy's declaration to become the best ball player ever?
(a) It might bring misfortune.
(b) It probably will come true.
(c) It can't come true because Roy is benched.
(d) It will make Memo love him.
14. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
(a) A huge birthmark on his face.
(b) A huge wart on the side of his nose.
(c) An eerie glass eye.
(d) Tattoos all over his body.
15. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
(a) His age (old) and the fact he has never won a game.
(b) His zest for the game and his loyalty to the team.
(c) His sexual escapades and his laziness.
(d) His need for a winning game and his respect for Roy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
2. What does Max Mercy find out about Roy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What happens when Roy and Memo go for a drive?
4. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
5. What happens to Roy after Bump gets injured and dies?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)