|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He becomes the best batter in history.
(b) He is benched for refusing to accept it.
(c) He leaves the team because Doc's help didn't work for him.
(d) He gets into an argument because one of the players doesn't believe it helps.
2. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
(a) Roy gets a job as a "hawker."
(b) The passengers on the train eat at a concession booth.
(c) Roy strikes out the "Whammer."
(d) Roy and Sam stop and play some carnival games.
3. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
(a) Fowler and Eddie.
(b) Harriet and Memo.
(c) The Judge and Bump Bailey.
(d) Pop Fisher and Red Blow.
4. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
(a) About how much Bump loved her.
(b) About her being a Beauty Queen.
(c) About her wonderful car.
(d) About how much money she has.
5. What is in the bassoon case that Roy carries on the train?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A set of tools.
(c) His bat.
(d) A bassoon.
6. What happens to Roy after Bump gets injured and dies?
(a) He is thrown off the team.
(b) He is rejected by his teammates who all liked Bump.
(c) He inherits Bump's position and starts setting records.
(d) He is accused of manslaughter.
7. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) An Olympic athlete.
(b) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
(c) A sports writer.
(d) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
8. How does Roy relate to Pop?
(a) Both played baseball, both loved a woman, and both had no friends.
(b) Both feared The Judge, both were injured in baseball, and both were about to retire.
(c) Bad luck, media harrassment, and the team's poor standing.
(d) Both depended on Red, both were poor, and both played outfield.
9. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
(a) An eerie glass eye.
(b) A huge wart on the side of his nose.
(c) A huge birthmark on his face.
(d) Tattoos all over his body.
10. Who does Doc Knobb accuse of causing the team to lose?
(a) He accuses The Judge of requiring Roy to throw the game.
(b) He accuses the whole team of being sorry players.
(c) He accuses Roy of throwing the games.
(d) He accuses Pop Fisher, and gets him fired.
11. What happens to Sam Simpson?
(a) He dies from injuries from a pitch by Roy.
(b) He joins the Chicago Cubs.
(c) Harriet Bird shot him.
(d) He dies from food poisoning from food bought at the carnival.
12. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
(a) That he got his talent naturally and can't be beat.
(b) That he likes to eat natural foods and live simply.
(c) That he will be a great baseball player for the team.
(d) That he doesn't need to practice to be good.
13. What does Roy do to impress Memo and make some money?
(a) He bets on the next Knights game and wins.
(b) He sells his story to Max Mercy.
(c) He performs magic tricks.
(d) He take her out to eat and agrees to a second job.
14. Why does Max Mercy offer Roy $5000?
(a) He wants to buy the secret of Wonderboy.
(b) He wants him to throw a game.
(c) He offers it as a loan.
(d) For his family's history.
15. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
(a) Sam gave it to him when he began representing him.
(b) He carved it from a tree that got struck by lightening.
(c) He got it from a famous player that visited his hometown.
(d) His dad gave it to him as a young boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What baseball position does Roy Hobbs try out for?
2. Who is Sam Simpson?
3. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
4. What happens to Roy that Max Mercy finds out when he comes back to the motel?
5. Who is Gus Sands?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)