|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
(a) The report of "The Whammer's" successful career.
(b) The change of coaches for the Chicago Cubs.
(c) The sports news headlines for the Chicago Cubs.
(d) The murder of two athletes.
2. Where does The Judge get his money?
(a) From ticket sales to Knights games.
(b) From players whom is he blackmailing.
(c) From gambling.
(d) No one knows.
3. What major item do the fans give Roy?
(a) A new bat to replace his lost one.
(b) A white Mercedes-Benz.
(c) A whole wardrobe of clothes because he dresses so poorly.
(d) A new home.
4. What does Max Mercy find out about Roy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) That he really doesn't like baseball, but wants to make a name for himself.
(b) That he was denied a raise.
(c) That he is responsible for Bump's death.
(d) That he loves Memo.
5. What happens to Roy that Max Mercy finds out when he comes back to the motel?
(a) That he had a fight with Pop.
(b) That he plans to quit baseball.
(c) That he has a black eye.
(d) That Memo has dumped him.
6. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
(a) He wants to play for at least 10 years.
(b) He is nervous that he might mess up.
(c) He is thrilled to get his lifelong dream.
(d) He wants to run away for good.
7. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
(a) He gets fired.
(b) He gets teased constantly.
(c) He gets hit by another player.
(d) He wins a big game that helps his morale.
8. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
(a) The Judge and Bump Bailey.
(b) Pop Fisher and Red Blow.
(c) Fowler and Eddie.
(d) Harriet and Memo.
9. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(b) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(c) He decides more money will win her love.
(d) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
10. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
(b) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
(c) An Olympic athlete.
(d) A sports writer.
11. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
(a) That he likes to eat natural foods and live simply.
(b) That he got his talent naturally and can't be beat.
(c) That he will be a great baseball player for the team.
(d) That he doesn't need to practice to be good.
12. What does Memo's reaction to Bump's death tell the reader, given her lack of relationship with him?
(a) It shows she didn't care much for Bump.
(b) It shows she cannot form stable relationships.
(c) It shows she loved Bump, but quickly forgot him.
(d) It shows she really loved Roy all along.
13. How is failure treated in The Natural?
(a) It is considered a fact of life one must endure.
(b) It is considered a path to success.
(c) It leads to further failure and heartache.
(d) It is considered an opportunity to learn.
14. What happens to Sam Simpson?
(a) Harriet Bird shot him.
(b) He joins the Chicago Cubs.
(c) He dies from food poisoning from food bought at the carnival.
(d) He dies from injuries from a pitch by Roy.
15. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
(a) He gives them steroids to make them stronger.
(b) He hypnotizes them.
(c) He gives them a pep talk before a game.
(d) He practices with them every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Gus and Memo?
2. Who is the coach of the Brooklyn Knights when Roy Hobbs signs on?
3. What kind of fans follow the Knights?
4. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
5. How does Harriet respond to Roy when he makes romantic advances toward her?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)