|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pop react to the almost magical quality of Roy's Wonderboy during the first game in which Roy gets to hit?
(a) He becomes optimistic about the team's chances of a win.
(b) He tells Roy is it not legal size and weight, but use it if he can get away with it.
(c) He is afraid the fact that it is homemade might cause it to not be accurate.
(d) He forbids Roy to use it and demands he use the bat chosen by Pop.
2. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
3. By what name does Roy call his personal bat?
(a) Slam Hitter.
(b) He did give it a name.
4. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
(a) She is sad for her uncle, Pop, as he misses Bump so much.
(b) She hides in her hotel room, grieving.
(c) She sympathizes with Roy, but doesn't really feel anything about Bump.
(d) She is glad Bump is gone so Roy could become the team leader.
5. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
(a) He askes him to help coach Bump to improve his plays.
(b) He asks him to bench Bump.
(c) He asks him to make Bump look worse so he could fire him.
(d) He asks him to hit the cover off the ball.
6. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
(a) The murder of two athletes.
(b) The change of coaches for the Chicago Cubs.
(c) The report of "The Whammer's" successful career.
(d) The sports news headlines for the Chicago Cubs.
7. Why does Max Mercy offer Roy $5000?
(a) For his family's history.
(b) He wants to buy the secret of Wonderboy.
(c) He offers it as a loan.
(d) He wants him to throw a game.
8. How many years had pass before Roy Hobbs comes to play baseball again?
9. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
(a) Lots of money and to be the best.
(b) He craves traveling around the country.
(c) He craves the position of coach of the team.
(d) He craves banana splits.
10. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
(a) An eerie glass eye.
(b) A huge birthmark on his face.
(c) Tattoos all over his body.
(d) A huge wart on the side of his nose.
11. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
(a) She cheers him on.
(b) She reassures him that she knows he will be.
(c) She ridicules him for his frivilous ambitions.
(d) She shoots him.
12. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
(a) He carved it from a tree that got struck by lightening.
(b) His dad gave it to him as a young boy.
(c) Sam gave it to him when he began representing him.
(d) He got it from a famous player that visited his hometown.
13. Who does Doc Knobb accuse of causing the team to lose?
(a) He accuses Roy of throwing the games.
(b) He accuses Pop Fisher, and gets him fired.
(c) He accuses the whole team of being sorry players.
(d) He accuses The Judge of requiring Roy to throw the game.
14. What does Pop tell Roy about Memo?
(a) That she only brings bad luck to people.
(b) That he doesn't want Roy to have anything to do with her.
(c) That she is planning on running away.
(d) That she doesn't love him.
15. Why is Pop Fisher "heart heavy?"
(a) He has never had a winning season.
(b) He really doesn't like baseball.
(c) He mourns Sam's death.
(d) He doesn't want Roy on his team.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
2. What is the relationship between Gus and Memo?
3. What two places does Roy tell the train porter he has visited?
4. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
5. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)