|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Roy consistently reaches out for love. Who does he reach out to in the slump before the game in which he pitches?
(a) Iris Lemon.
(b) Harriet Bird.
(c) Memo Paris.
(d) His teammates.
2. How is failure treated in The Natural?
(a) It is considered an opportunity to learn.
(b) It is considered a fact of life one must endure.
(c) It is considered a path to success.
(d) It leads to further failure and heartache.
3. What happens to Sam Simpson?
(a) Harriet Bird shot him.
(b) He joins the Chicago Cubs.
(c) He dies from food poisoning from food bought at the carnival.
(d) He dies from injuries from a pitch by Roy.
4. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
(a) To watch his money and protect his old age.
(b) To watch out about Fowler, who is jealous of him.
(c) To beware of Memo, who is a bad influence.
(d) To not play too hard because he was really too old to play baseball and might get injured.
5. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
(a) She hides in her hotel room, grieving.
(b) She is glad Bump is gone so Roy could become the team leader.
(c) She is sad for her uncle, Pop, as he misses Bump so much.
(d) She sympathizes with Roy, but doesn't really feel anything about Bump.
6. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
(a) The are fascinated with it and believe in its magic.
(b) They don't care what kind of bat he uses, as long as he hits.
(c) They tease him because it was handmade.
(d) They insist he use a precision bat from the team's stash.
7. Where does Roy travel from when he heads to the Chicago Cubs to try out?
(a) From the western hills of the United States.
(b) From Atlanta, GA.
(c) From the Northeastern coast.
(d) From Texas.
8. Who does Doc Knobb accuse of causing the team to lose?
(a) He accuses Pop Fisher, and gets him fired.
(b) He accuses the whole team of being sorry players.
(c) He accuses The Judge of requiring Roy to throw the game.
(d) He accuses Roy of throwing the games.
9. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
(a) He doesn't like baseball.
(b) He is jealous of Harriet and Roy.
(c) He thinks Roy is inexperienced.
(d) He has heard that Roy threw a baseball game.
10. What will it take for Roy to be relieved from his suffering?
(a) For him to win a big game.
(b) To help his teammates become better people.
(c) For him to undergo a change in his values.
(d) To get medical help from his doctor.
11. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
(a) That he got his talent naturally and can't be beat.
(b) That he doesn't need to practice to be good.
(c) That he will be a great baseball player for the team.
(d) That he likes to eat natural foods and live simply.
12. How does Roy relate to Pop?
(a) Both depended on Red, both were poor, and both played outfield.
(b) Both played baseball, both loved a woman, and both had no friends.
(c) Bad luck, media harrassment, and the team's poor standing.
(d) Both feared The Judge, both were injured in baseball, and both were about to retire.
13. What does Roy say is the only thing he owes the public?
(a) To reveal the bets The Judge is making against his own team.
(b) To explain what happened to Bump.
(c) To tell them about his bat.
(d) To play the best ball game ever.
14. What does Max Mercy find out about Roy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) That he really doesn't like baseball, but wants to make a name for himself.
(b) That he is responsible for Bump's death.
(c) That he loves Memo.
(d) That he was denied a raise.
15. How do Roy teammates on the Knights treat him?
(a) They pretty much ignore him.
(b) They ask him for advice when he hits well.
(c) They tell the coach lies about him.
(d) The pull practical jokes and hide his basson case with his bat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
2. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
3. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
4. What kind of fans follow the Knights?
5. Why does Memo ride in the night with Roy without using headlights?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)