Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(b) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(c) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
(d) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
2. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
(a) To beware of Memo, who is a bad influence.
(b) To watch his money and protect his old age.
(c) To watch out about Fowler, who is jealous of him.
(d) To not play too hard because he was really too old to play baseball and might get injured.
3. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
(a) He craves banana splits.
(b) He craves traveling around the country.
(c) Lots of money and to be the best.
(d) He craves the position of coach of the team.
4. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
(a) Tattoos all over his body.
(b) An eerie glass eye.
(c) A huge wart on the side of his nose.
(d) A huge birthmark on his face.
5. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(b) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(c) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
(d) He decides more money will win her love.
6. Who is the coach of the Brooklyn Knights when Roy Hobbs signs on?
(a) Red Blow.
(b) Max Mercy.
(c) Sam Simpson.
(d) Pop Fisher.
7. Where does The Judge get his money?
(a) From ticket sales to Knights games.
(b) No one knows.
(c) From gambling.
(d) From players whom is he blackmailing.
8. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
(a) He asks him to make Bump look worse so he could fire him.
(b) He askes him to help coach Bump to improve his plays.
(c) He asks him to hit the cover off the ball.
(d) He asks him to bench Bump.
9. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
(a) The passengers on the train eat at a concession booth.
(b) Roy and Sam stop and play some carnival games.
(c) Roy strikes out the "Whammer."
(d) Roy gets a job as a "hawker."
10. What event causes Memo to view Roy more favorably and go for a ride with him?
(a) He tells her about his plans to become the best ball player ever.
(b) He gets a white Mercedes-Benz from his fans.
(c) He tells her about Bump's gambling and losses, making her glad Bump didn't marry her.
(d) He gets his raise, finally.
11. Why does Pop dislike Bump Bailey?
(a) Because Bump can't play well.
(b) Because of his locker room jokes and his love of Pop's niece.
(c) Because Bump threw a major game.
(d) Because Bump wants his coaching job.
12. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
(a) He is jealous of Bump's relationship with the coach.
(b) He tries to teach Bump some techniques to help the team.
(c) He looks up to him as a mentor, since both play the outfield.
(d) He dislikes him because of his bad jokes and his lack of respect for the team or the coach.
13. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
(a) The Judge.
(b) Pop Fisher.
(c) Max Mercy.
(d) Bump Bailey.
14. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
(a) Harriet and Memo.
(b) Fowler and Eddie.
(c) The Judge and Bump Bailey.
(d) Pop Fisher and Red Blow.
15. How do fans react to Roy after Bump's death?
(a) They demand a memorial for Bump.
(b) They leave the stadium and don't come back.
(c) They blame Roy for Bump's death and shun him.
(d) They cheer for Roy as long as he is successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Sam Simpson?
2. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
3. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
4. What two places does Roy tell the train porter he has visited?
5. Who is Memo Paris?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)