|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Gus and Memo?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She is in love and plans to marry him.
(c) She has not relationship with him at all.
(d) She says he is like a father to her.
2. What American tendency does Malamud say The Judge and Gus take advantage of?
(a) The tendency to gamble on games.
(b) The tendency to fall for schemes promising quick money.
(c) The tendency to seek a mate at all costs.
(d) The tendency to follow one particular ball player.
3. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
(a) He wants to have a better team manager, so is glad The Judge is pushing Pop out.
(b) He wants to help the team win and save Pop's job.
(c) He really doesn't mind because he doesn't know Pop well.
(d) He wants to get Pop's job when he is pushed out.
4. What kind of fans follow the Knights?
(a) They are loyal to the team whether they win or not.
(b) They try to find ways to help them find a winning streak.
(c) They are fickle, only supporting them when they are winning.
(d) They tell all the bad secrets of the team, giving them a bad reputation.
5. What does Memo's reaction to Bump's death tell the reader, given her lack of relationship with him?
(a) It shows she cannot form stable relationships.
(b) It shows she loved Bump, but quickly forgot him.
(c) It shows she didn't care much for Bump.
(d) It shows she really loved Roy all along.
6. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
(a) He is jealous of Bump's relationship with the coach.
(b) He tries to teach Bump some techniques to help the team.
(c) He dislikes him because of his bad jokes and his lack of respect for the team or the coach.
(d) He looks up to him as a mentor, since both play the outfield.
7. How do Roy teammates on the Knights treat him?
(a) They pretty much ignore him.
(b) They tell the coach lies about him.
(c) They ask him for advice when he hits well.
(d) The pull practical jokes and hide his basson case with his bat.
8. How does Roy relate to Pop?
(a) Both depended on Red, both were poor, and both played outfield.
(b) Bad luck, media harrassment, and the team's poor standing.
(c) Both played baseball, both loved a woman, and both had no friends.
(d) Both feared The Judge, both were injured in baseball, and both were about to retire.
9. What viewpoint does the author take when he tells us about Roy's declaration and what it might lead to?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) Omniscient narrator.
(c) Third person.
(d) First person.
10. Why does Pop dislike Bump Bailey?
(a) Because Bump wants his coaching job.
(b) Because Bump can't play well.
(c) Because of his locker room jokes and his love of Pop's niece.
(d) Because Bump threw a major game.
11. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(b) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
(c) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(d) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
12. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
(a) He craves banana splits.
(b) Lots of money and to be the best.
(c) He craves traveling around the country.
(d) He craves the position of coach of the team.
13. What does Gus brag to Roy about when they are talking in Memo's motel room?
(a) He brags about his prowess as a ball player.
(b) He brags about how he takes advantage of people.
(c) He brags about how good he is at gambling.
(d) He brags about how much money he has.
14. What mistake did Pop make that Red tells Roy about?
(a) He got caught between bases and caused his team to lose.
(b) He gave a really bad call in coaching that caused him to lose.
(c) He embezzled funds from The Judge.
(d) He forced a player to throw a game.
15. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
(a) He is thrilled to get his lifelong dream.
(b) He wants to play for at least 10 years.
(c) He wants to run away for good.
(d) He is nervous that he might mess up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
2. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
3. What happens when Roy meets Gus?
4. What event causes Memo to view Roy more favorably and go for a ride with him?
5. What does Max Mercy do that is harmful to Roy?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)