|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(b) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
(c) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(d) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
2. Who is Gus Sands?
(a) He is a rival baseball player.
(b) He is a suspicious bookie.
(c) He is a sports reporter with Max Mercy.
(d) He is the new manager of the Knights.
3. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
4. What happens to Roy after Bump gets injured and dies?
(a) He is accused of manslaughter.
(b) He is thrown off the team.
(c) He inherits Bump's position and starts setting records.
(d) He is rejected by his teammates who all liked Bump.
5. What major item do the fans give Roy?
(a) A new home.
(b) A new bat to replace his lost one.
(c) A whole wardrobe of clothes because he dresses so poorly.
(d) A white Mercedes-Benz.
6. What does Harriet keep always by her side?
(a) Her small dog.
(b) Her gun.
(c) A black briefcase.
(d) A black hatbox.
7. What does Roy and Memo think they need for happiness?
(a) People and things.
(b) To get to travel together.
(c) A dream home and fancy car.
(d) To win at everything.
8. Where does The Judge get his money?
(a) No one knows.
(b) From gambling.
(c) From ticket sales to Knights games.
(d) From players whom is he blackmailing.
9. What happens to Sam Simpson?
(a) He joins the Chicago Cubs.
(b) He dies from food poisoning from food bought at the carnival.
(c) Harriet Bird shot him.
(d) He dies from injuries from a pitch by Roy.
10. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
(a) Sam gave it to him when he began representing him.
(b) He got it from a famous player that visited his hometown.
(c) He carved it from a tree that got struck by lightening.
(d) His dad gave it to him as a young boy.
11. What viewpoint does the author take when he tells us about Roy's declaration and what it might lead to?
(a) Third person.
(b) Omniscient narrator.
(c) Third person limited.
(d) First person.
12. What does Roy do to impress Memo and make some money?
(a) He performs magic tricks.
(b) He take her out to eat and agrees to a second job.
(c) He sells his story to Max Mercy.
(d) He bets on the next Knights game and wins.
13. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
(a) He asks him to bench Bump.
(b) He asks him to make Bump look worse so he could fire him.
(c) He asks him to hit the cover off the ball.
(d) He askes him to help coach Bump to improve his plays.
14. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
(a) Pop Fisher and Red Blow.
(b) Harriet and Memo.
(c) The Judge and Bump Bailey.
(d) Fowler and Eddie.
15. What is in the bassoon case that Roy carries on the train?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A set of tools.
(c) His bat.
(d) A bassoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harriet respond to Roy when he makes romantic advances toward her?
2. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
3. What is the Judge's plans for the Knights?
4. How do Roy teammates on the Knights treat him?
5. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)