|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of fans follow the Knights?
(a) They tell all the bad secrets of the team, giving them a bad reputation.
(b) They try to find ways to help them find a winning streak.
(c) They are fickle, only supporting them when they are winning.
(d) They are loyal to the team whether they win or not.
2. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
(a) He has heard that Roy threw a baseball game.
(b) He is jealous of Harriet and Roy.
(c) He thinks Roy is inexperienced.
(d) He doesn't like baseball.
3. What does Roy do that gains Memo's approval and laughter?
(a) He takes her to her favorite restaurant.
(b) He pitches a winning game for the Knights.
(c) He does a comedy act just for her.
(d) He does magic tricks that win his money back from Gus.
4. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
(b) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
(c) They petition The Judge to give him one.
(d) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
5. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
(a) The passengers on the train eat at a concession booth.
(b) Roy gets a job as a "hawker."
(c) Roy and Sam stop and play some carnival games.
(d) Roy strikes out the "Whammer."
6. Who is Gus Sands?
(a) He is a rival baseball player.
(b) He is a suspicious bookie.
(c) He is a sports reporter with Max Mercy.
(d) He is the new manager of the Knights.
7. What does Roy and Memo think they need for happiness?
(a) A dream home and fancy car.
(b) People and things.
(c) To win at everything.
(d) To get to travel together.
8. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
(a) He craves the position of coach of the team.
(b) Lots of money and to be the best.
(c) He craves traveling around the country.
(d) He craves banana splits.
9. What does Pop tell Roy about Memo?
(a) That he doesn't want Roy to have anything to do with her.
(b) That she doesn't love him.
(c) That she only brings bad luck to people.
(d) That she is planning on running away.
10. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
(a) He tries to teach Bump some techniques to help the team.
(b) He dislikes him because of his bad jokes and his lack of respect for the team or the coach.
(c) He looks up to him as a mentor, since both play the outfield.
(d) He is jealous of Bump's relationship with the coach.
11. What does Pop do when he sees Roy and Memo returning to the motel in the morning?
(a) He tells Roy to leave Memo alone and not to go out with her any more.
(b) He benches Roy for being out all night.
(c) He fines Roy $100 for not being in his room the night before.
(d) He asks Roy if he and Memo are planning on getting married.
12. What does Max Mercy do that is harmful to Roy?
(a) He tells about his past when he couldn't play baseball.
(b) He blames him publicly for Sam's death.
(c) He claims he is bad luck to a team.
(d) He writes suspicions about his bat.
13. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
(b) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
(c) That he plans to kill Sam.
(d) That he is in love with her.
14. Who is Memo Paris?
(a) Pop's niece and Bump's girlfriend.
(b) Roy's girlfriend.
(c) A reporter that writes good things about the team.
(d) A loyal fan that follows the team.
15. What happens to Roy that Max Mercy finds out when he comes back to the motel?
(a) That he has a black eye.
(b) That he had a fight with Pop.
(c) That Memo has dumped him.
(d) That he plans to quit baseball.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
2. What happens to Sam Simpson?
3. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
4. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
5. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)