|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pop react to the almost magical quality of Roy's Wonderboy during the first game in which Roy gets to hit?
(a) He is afraid the fact that it is homemade might cause it to not be accurate.
(b) He becomes optimistic about the team's chances of a win.
(c) He tells Roy is it not legal size and weight, but use it if he can get away with it.
(d) He forbids Roy to use it and demands he use the bat chosen by Pop.
2. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
(a) To beware of Memo, who is a bad influence.
(b) To not play too hard because he was really too old to play baseball and might get injured.
(c) To watch out about Fowler, who is jealous of him.
(d) To watch his money and protect his old age.
3. What does Roy promise his fans?
(a) To take care of Memo and treat her well.
(b) To use his money wisely if he gets a raise.
(c) To become the best ball player ever.
(d) To stay with the team at least five years.
4. How does Roy feel when he becomes the team hero, making news stories and filling sports columns with his achievements?
(a) He is proud to be able to help his team out of their slump.
(b) He is unhappy, feeling like he has a lot more to live for, and wants to conquer the world.
(c) He is ecstatic that he is a hero.
(d) He is happy, but misses Bump, who should have been the hitter.
5. What is in the bassoon case that Roy carries on the train?
(a) A rifle.
(b) His bat.
(c) A set of tools.
(d) A bassoon.
6. What does Roy and Memo think they need for happiness?
(a) People and things.
(b) To get to travel together.
(c) A dream home and fancy car.
(d) To win at everything.
7. What major item do the fans give Roy?
(a) A whole wardrobe of clothes because he dresses so poorly.
(b) A new bat to replace his lost one.
(c) A white Mercedes-Benz.
(d) A new home.
8. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
(a) They insist he use a precision bat from the team's stash.
(b) The are fascinated with it and believe in its magic.
(c) They tease him because it was handmade.
(d) They don't care what kind of bat he uses, as long as he hits.
9. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
(a) He asks him to hit the cover off the ball.
(b) He asks him to bench Bump.
(c) He askes him to help coach Bump to improve his plays.
(d) He asks him to make Bump look worse so he could fire him.
10. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
(a) He wants to help the team win and save Pop's job.
(b) He wants to have a better team manager, so is glad The Judge is pushing Pop out.
(c) He really doesn't mind because he doesn't know Pop well.
(d) He wants to get Pop's job when he is pushed out.
11. By what name does Roy call his personal bat?
(a) Slam Hitter.
(d) He did give it a name.
12. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
(a) He doesn't like baseball.
(b) He has heard that Roy threw a baseball game.
(c) He is jealous of Harriet and Roy.
(d) He thinks Roy is inexperienced.
13. How many years had pass before Roy Hobbs comes to play baseball again?
14. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
(a) To always be his friend.
(b) To not tell Pop about Red's revelation of his mistake.
(c) To play his best if Pop puts him in.
(d) To stay away from Red's girlfriend.
15. What two places does Roy tell the train porter he has visited?
(a) Portland, Oregon and Boise, Idaho.
(b) Atlanta, Georgia and Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Dallas, Texas and Sante Fe, California.
(d) Miami, Florida and St. Louis, Missouri.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gus Sands?
2. What happens to Roy that Max Mercy finds out when he comes back to the motel?
3. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
4. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
5. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)