|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
(a) He wants to have a better team manager, so is glad The Judge is pushing Pop out.
(b) He wants to help the team win and save Pop's job.
(c) He really doesn't mind because he doesn't know Pop well.
(d) He wants to get Pop's job when he is pushed out.
2. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
(a) He asks him to bench Bump.
(b) He askes him to help coach Bump to improve his plays.
(c) He asks him to make Bump look worse so he could fire him.
(d) He asks him to hit the cover off the ball.
3. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
(a) He dreams he wins the Most Valuable Player Award.
(b) He dreams he is a famous sportswriter.
(c) He dreams Roy was shot.
(d) He dreams he was stabbed.
4. What viewpoint does the author take when he tells us about Roy's declaration and what it might lead to?
(a) Third person.
(b) First person.
(c) Omniscient narrator.
(d) Third person limited.
5. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
(a) About her being a Beauty Queen.
(b) About how much money she has.
(c) About how much Bump loved her.
(d) About her wonderful car.
6. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
(a) His sexual escapades and his laziness.
(b) His need for a winning game and his respect for Roy.
(c) His zest for the game and his loyalty to the team.
(d) His age (old) and the fact he has never won a game.
7. What does Roy think of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He refuses it and leaves the group.
(b) He asks for an extra practice session to improve his batting.
(c) He goes along with it, but doesn't believe it helps.
(d) He believes it helps the team.
8. What does Roy do that gains Memo's approval and laughter?
(a) He does a comedy act just for her.
(b) He takes her to her favorite restaurant.
(c) He does magic tricks that win his money back from Gus.
(d) He pitches a winning game for the Knights.
9. What does Roy say is the only thing he owes the public?
(a) To play the best ball game ever.
(b) To explain what happened to Bump.
(c) To reveal the bets The Judge is making against his own team.
(d) To tell them about his bat.
10. Who is Gus Sands?
(a) He is the new manager of the Knights.
(b) He is a rival baseball player.
(c) He is a suspicious bookie.
(d) He is a sports reporter with Max Mercy.
11. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
(a) He practices with them every day.
(b) He gives them a pep talk before a game.
(c) He hypnotizes them.
(d) He gives them steroids to make them stronger.
12. Roy consistently reaches out for love. Who does he reach out to in the slump before the game in which he pitches?
(a) Memo Paris.
(b) Iris Lemon.
(c) His teammates.
(d) Harriet Bird.
13. What does the author tell us about Roy's declaration to become the best ball player ever?
(a) It might bring misfortune.
(b) It can't come true because Roy is benched.
(c) It will make Memo love him.
(d) It probably will come true.
14. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
(a) They tease him because it was handmade.
(b) The are fascinated with it and believe in its magic.
(c) They don't care what kind of bat he uses, as long as he hits.
(d) They insist he use a precision bat from the team's stash.
15. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
(a) She hides in her hotel room, grieving.
(b) She is glad Bump is gone so Roy could become the team leader.
(c) She is sad for her uncle, Pop, as he misses Bump so much.
(d) She sympathizes with Roy, but doesn't really feel anything about Bump.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
2. What happens when Roy meets Gus?
3. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
4. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
5. What does Harriet keep always by her side?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)