|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
(a) He gets teased constantly.
(b) He gets hit by another player.
(c) He gets fired.
(d) He wins a big game that helps his morale.
2. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
(a) He fires him because of his arrogance.
(b) He gives him a smaller raise.
(c) He gives him the raise, saying he is a valuable player.
(d) He lectures him on the evils of money.
3. What does Max Mercy do that is harmful to Roy?
(a) He writes suspicions about his bat.
(b) He blames him publicly for Sam's death.
(c) He tells about his past when he couldn't play baseball.
(d) He claims he is bad luck to a team.
4. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
(a) He hypnotizes them.
(b) He practices with them every day.
(c) He gives them a pep talk before a game.
(d) He gives them steroids to make them stronger.
5. Who is the coach of the Brooklyn Knights when Roy Hobbs signs on?
(a) Max Mercy.
(b) Sam Simpson.
(c) Pop Fisher.
(d) Red Blow.
6. What does Roy do to impress Memo and make some money?
(a) He take her out to eat and agrees to a second job.
(b) He performs magic tricks.
(c) He bets on the next Knights game and wins.
(d) He sells his story to Max Mercy.
7. What does Max Mercy find out about Roy at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) That he was denied a raise.
(b) That he really doesn't like baseball, but wants to make a name for himself.
(c) That he is responsible for Bump's death.
(d) That he loves Memo.
8. What mistake did Pop make that Red tells Roy about?
(a) He forced a player to throw a game.
(b) He gave a really bad call in coaching that caused him to lose.
(c) He embezzled funds from The Judge.
(d) He got caught between bases and caused his team to lose.
9. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
(a) He is the leading pitcher for the team.
(b) He is a fighter and others are afraid of him.
(c) He owns the majority of shares in the team.
(d) He is so well-liked that others ignore his mean nature.
10. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
(a) He has heard that Roy threw a baseball game.
(b) He is jealous of Harriet and Roy.
(c) He thinks Roy is inexperienced.
(d) He doesn't like baseball.
11. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
(a) He dreams he wins the Most Valuable Player Award.
(b) He dreams he is a famous sportswriter.
(c) He dreams Roy was shot.
(d) He dreams he was stabbed.
12. What viewpoint does the author take when he tells us about Roy's declaration and what it might lead to?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) Omniscient narrator.
(c) Third person.
(d) First person.
13. What does the author tell us about Roy's declaration to become the best ball player ever?
(a) It might bring misfortune.
(b) It can't come true because Roy is benched.
(c) It will make Memo love him.
(d) It probably will come true.
14. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
(a) He asks him to bench Bump.
(b) He asks him to make Bump look worse so he could fire him.
(c) He askes him to help coach Bump to improve his plays.
(d) He asks him to hit the cover off the ball.
15. What will it take for Roy to be relieved from his suffering?
(a) For him to undergo a change in his values.
(b) To help his teammates become better people.
(c) To get medical help from his doctor.
(d) For him to win a big game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What baseball position does Roy Hobbs try out for?
2. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
3. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
4. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
5. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)