|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pop react to the almost magical quality of Roy's Wonderboy during the first game in which Roy gets to hit?
(a) He forbids Roy to use it and demands he use the bat chosen by Pop.
(b) He is afraid the fact that it is homemade might cause it to not be accurate.
(c) He becomes optimistic about the team's chances of a win.
(d) He tells Roy is it not legal size and weight, but use it if he can get away with it.
2. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
3. What are Bump Bailey's two main vices?
(a) Gambling and drinking.
(b) Trying to take credit for any wins and badmouthing his coach.
(c) Overeating and cursing.
(d) Bad locker room jokes and his attraction to Memo Paris.
4. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
(a) He gets fired.
(b) He gets teased constantly.
(c) He gets hit by another player.
(d) He wins a big game that helps his morale.
5. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
(a) He is thrilled to get his lifelong dream.
(b) He wants to run away for good.
(c) He is nervous that he might mess up.
(d) He wants to play for at least 10 years.
6. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
(b) They petition The Judge to give him one.
(c) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
(d) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
7. What viewpoint does the author take when he tells us about Roy's declaration and what it might lead to?
(a) Third person.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person limited.
(d) Omniscient narrator.
8. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
(a) He dislikes him because of his bad jokes and his lack of respect for the team or the coach.
(b) He looks up to him as a mentor, since both play the outfield.
(c) He is jealous of Bump's relationship with the coach.
(d) He tries to teach Bump some techniques to help the team.
9. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
(a) Roy gets a job as a "hawker."
(b) Roy strikes out the "Whammer."
(c) Roy and Sam stop and play some carnival games.
(d) The passengers on the train eat at a concession booth.
10. How is failure treated in The Natural?
(a) It is considered a fact of life one must endure.
(b) It is considered a path to success.
(c) It leads to further failure and heartache.
(d) It is considered an opportunity to learn.
11. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
(a) He dreams he wins the Most Valuable Player Award.
(b) He dreams he is a famous sportswriter.
(c) He dreams he was stabbed.
(d) He dreams Roy was shot.
12. What does Pop tell Roy about Memo?
(a) That she is planning on running away.
(b) That he doesn't want Roy to have anything to do with her.
(c) That she only brings bad luck to people.
(d) That she doesn't love him.
13. Roy consistently reaches out for love. Who does he reach out to in the slump before the game in which he pitches?
(a) Memo Paris.
(b) His teammates.
(c) Harriet Bird.
(d) Iris Lemon.
14. How does Roy feel when he becomes the team hero, making news stories and filling sports columns with his achievements?
(a) He is unhappy, feeling like he has a lot more to live for, and wants to conquer the world.
(b) He is proud to be able to help his team out of their slump.
(c) He is happy, but misses Bump, who should have been the hitter.
(d) He is ecstatic that he is a hero.
15. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
(b) A sports writer.
(c) An Olympic athlete.
(d) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does The Judge get his money?
2. What does Gus brag to Roy about when they are talking in Memo's motel room?
3. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
4. What two places does Roy tell the train porter he has visited?
5. What does Pop do when he sees Roy and Memo returning to the motel in the morning?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)