|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
2. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(b) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(c) He decides more money will win her love.
(d) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
3. How is failure treated in The Natural?
(a) It leads to further failure and heartache.
(b) It is considered an opportunity to learn.
(c) It is considered a path to success.
(d) It is considered a fact of life one must endure.
4. What happens when Pop lets Roy pitch in Bump's place?
(a) Bump tries to be a hero and fractures his skull at the wall trying to catch a ball.
(b) Bump cheers Roy on even though he knows he has lost his pitching position.
(c) Bump tries to destroy Roy's reputation as a baseball player.
(d) Bump helps Roy by practicing pitching with him, but gets hurt during the practice.
5. What baseball position does Roy Hobbs try out for?
(b) Right fielder.
(d) Left fielder.
6. What is in the bassoon case that Roy carries on the train?
(a) A set of tools.
(b) His bat.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A bassoon.
7. How does Roy feel about playing for the Knights when he first puts on his baseball cap for them?
(a) He wants to play for at least 10 years.
(b) He wants to run away for good.
(c) He is thrilled to get his lifelong dream.
(d) He is nervous that he might mess up.
8. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
(a) The Judge.
(b) Bump Bailey.
(c) Max Mercy.
(d) Pop Fisher.
9. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
(a) She cheers him on.
(b) She reassures him that she knows he will be.
(c) She ridicules him for his frivilous ambitions.
(d) She shoots him.
10. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
(a) That he doesn't need to practice to be good.
(b) That he got his talent naturally and can't be beat.
(c) That he will be a great baseball player for the team.
(d) That he likes to eat natural foods and live simply.
11. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He leaves the team because Doc's help didn't work for him.
(b) He becomes the best batter in history.
(c) He gets into an argument because one of the players doesn't believe it helps.
(d) He is benched for refusing to accept it.
12. What is the relationship between Gus and Memo?
(a) She says he is like a father to her.
(b) She has not relationship with him at all.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She is in love and plans to marry him.
13. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
(a) To watch out about Fowler, who is jealous of him.
(b) To watch his money and protect his old age.
(c) To not play too hard because he was really too old to play baseball and might get injured.
(d) To beware of Memo, who is a bad influence.
14. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
(a) He gives him the raise, saying he is a valuable player.
(b) He gives him a smaller raise.
(c) He lectures him on the evils of money.
(d) He fires him because of his arrogance.
15. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
(a) He is so well-liked that others ignore his mean nature.
(b) He owns the majority of shares in the team.
(c) He is the leading pitcher for the team.
(d) He is a fighter and others are afraid of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
2. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
3. What does Harriet keep always by her side?
4. What mistake did Pop make that Red tells Roy about?
5. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)