|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he is in love with her.
(b) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
(c) That he plans to kill Sam.
(d) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
2. What event causes Memo to view Roy more favorably and go for a ride with him?
(a) He tells her about Bump's gambling and losses, making her glad Bump didn't marry her.
(b) He gets a white Mercedes-Benz from his fans.
(c) He tells her about his plans to become the best ball player ever.
(d) He gets his raise, finally.
3. How is failure treated in The Natural?
(a) It leads to further failure and heartache.
(b) It is considered a path to success.
(c) It is considered a fact of life one must endure.
(d) It is considered an opportunity to learn.
4. What happens to Sam Simpson?
(a) He dies from injuries from a pitch by Roy.
(b) He joins the Chicago Cubs.
(c) Harriet Bird shot him.
(d) He dies from food poisoning from food bought at the carnival.
5. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
(a) Sam gave it to him when he began representing him.
(b) His dad gave it to him as a young boy.
(c) He carved it from a tree that got struck by lightening.
(d) He got it from a famous player that visited his hometown.
6. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
(a) He practices with them every day.
(b) He gives them a pep talk before a game.
(c) He gives them steroids to make them stronger.
(d) He hypnotizes them.
7. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
(a) She ridicules him for his frivilous ambitions.
(b) She shoots him.
(c) She reassures him that she knows he will be.
(d) She cheers him on.
8. How does Pop react to the almost magical quality of Roy's Wonderboy during the first game in which Roy gets to hit?
(a) He is afraid the fact that it is homemade might cause it to not be accurate.
(b) He becomes optimistic about the team's chances of a win.
(c) He forbids Roy to use it and demands he use the bat chosen by Pop.
(d) He tells Roy is it not legal size and weight, but use it if he can get away with it.
9. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides more money will win her love.
(b) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(c) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
(d) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
10. Why is Pop Fisher "heart heavy?"
(a) He has never had a winning season.
(b) He really doesn't like baseball.
(c) He doesn't want Roy on his team.
(d) He mourns Sam's death.
11. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
(a) He lectures him on the evils of money.
(b) He fires him because of his arrogance.
(c) He gives him a smaller raise.
(d) He gives him the raise, saying he is a valuable player.
12. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
(a) She is glad Bump is gone so Roy could become the team leader.
(b) She hides in her hotel room, grieving.
(c) She sympathizes with Roy, but doesn't really feel anything about Bump.
(d) She is sad for her uncle, Pop, as he misses Bump so much.
13. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He becomes the best batter in history.
(b) He is benched for refusing to accept it.
(c) He gets into an argument because one of the players doesn't believe it helps.
(d) He leaves the team because Doc's help didn't work for him.
14. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
(b) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
(c) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
(d) They petition The Judge to give him one.
15. What kind of fans follow the Knights?
(a) They try to find ways to help them find a winning streak.
(b) They are fickle, only supporting them when they are winning.
(c) They tell all the bad secrets of the team, giving them a bad reputation.
(d) They are loyal to the team whether they win or not.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
2. Who is Max Mercy?
3. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
4. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
5. What does Pop do when he sees Roy and Memo returning to the motel in the morning?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)