|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pop Fisher "heart heavy?"
(a) He doesn't want Roy on his team.
(b) He really doesn't like baseball.
(c) He mourns Sam's death.
(d) He has never had a winning season.
2. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
(a) She sympathizes with Roy, but doesn't really feel anything about Bump.
(b) She hides in her hotel room, grieving.
(c) She is sad for her uncle, Pop, as he misses Bump so much.
(d) She is glad Bump is gone so Roy could become the team leader.
3. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
(a) To not play too hard because he was really too old to play baseball and might get injured.
(b) To beware of Memo, who is a bad influence.
(c) To watch his money and protect his old age.
(d) To watch out about Fowler, who is jealous of him.
4. How does Roy hit baseballs in the game?
(a) He hits with a crazy curve.
(b) He doesn't hit any better than the rest of his teammates.
(c) He strikes out often, but gets a home run.
(d) He hits with precision and power.
5. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(b) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
(c) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(d) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
6. What happens when Pop lets Roy pitch in Bump's place?
(a) Bump tries to be a hero and fractures his skull at the wall trying to catch a ball.
(b) Bump cheers Roy on even though he knows he has lost his pitching position.
(c) Bump tries to destroy Roy's reputation as a baseball player.
(d) Bump helps Roy by practicing pitching with him, but gets hurt during the practice.
7. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
(a) He is jealous of Harriet and Roy.
(b) He doesn't like baseball.
(c) He has heard that Roy threw a baseball game.
(d) He thinks Roy is inexperienced.
8. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
(a) Fowler and Eddie.
(b) The Judge and Bump Bailey.
(c) Harriet and Memo.
(d) Pop Fisher and Red Blow.
9. What are Bump Bailey's two main vices?
(a) Trying to take credit for any wins and badmouthing his coach.
(b) Gambling and drinking.
(c) Overeating and cursing.
(d) Bad locker room jokes and his attraction to Memo Paris.
10. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
(a) He fires him because of his arrogance.
(b) He gives him the raise, saying he is a valuable player.
(c) He gives him a smaller raise.
(d) He lectures him on the evils of money.
11. Where does Roy travel from when he heads to the Chicago Cubs to try out?
(a) From Texas.
(b) From the Northeastern coast.
(c) From the western hills of the United States.
(d) From Atlanta, GA.
12. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They petition The Judge to give him one.
(b) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
(c) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
(d) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
13. What mistake did Pop make that Red tells Roy about?
(a) He forced a player to throw a game.
(b) He gave a really bad call in coaching that caused him to lose.
(c) He got caught between bases and caused his team to lose.
(d) He embezzled funds from The Judge.
14. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
(a) The report of "The Whammer's" successful career.
(b) The change of coaches for the Chicago Cubs.
(c) The murder of two athletes.
(d) The sports news headlines for the Chicago Cubs.
15. Why does Memo ride in the night with Roy without using headlights?
(a) She didn't know he had the lights off.
(b) They need to conserve the car battery.
(c) They are trying to escape without being noticed.
(d) She hates the light and loves darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is failure treated in The Natural?
2. What does Pop ask Roy to do after he gets upset with Bump for his poor playing?
3. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
4. What does the author tell us about Roy's declaration to become the best ball player ever?
5. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)