|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
(a) His sexual escapades and his laziness.
(b) His zest for the game and his loyalty to the team.
(c) His need for a winning game and his respect for Roy.
(d) His age (old) and the fact he has never won a game.
2. Why is Roy so good at baseball?
(a) He had practiced with his father when he was young.
(b) Sam drills him daily in how to play well.
(c) He has natural talent in the sport.
(d) He has trained with "The Whammer."
3. Who is Sam Simpson?
(a) A newspaper reporter.
(b) A baseball pitcher.
(c) Roy's father.
(d) Roy's professional scout.
4. How many years had pass before Roy Hobbs comes to play baseball again?
5. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
(a) That he got his talent naturally and can't be beat.
(b) That he likes to eat natural foods and live simply.
(c) That he will be a great baseball player for the team.
(d) That he doesn't need to practice to be good.
6. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
(a) He hypnotizes them.
(b) He gives them steroids to make them stronger.
(c) He practices with them every day.
(d) He gives them a pep talk before a game.
7. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
(a) Roy and Sam stop and play some carnival games.
(b) Roy gets a job as a "hawker."
(c) Roy strikes out the "Whammer."
(d) The passengers on the train eat at a concession booth.
8. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
(a) He fires him because of his arrogance.
(b) He lectures him on the evils of money.
(c) He gives him a smaller raise.
(d) He gives him the raise, saying he is a valuable player.
9. What does Gus brag to Roy about when they are talking in Memo's motel room?
(a) He brags about his prowess as a ball player.
(b) He brags about how good he is at gambling.
(c) He brags about how he takes advantage of people.
(d) He brags about how much money he has.
10. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
(a) Bump Bailey.
(b) Pop Fisher.
(c) Max Mercy.
(d) The Judge.
11. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
(a) He wants to get Pop's job when he is pushed out.
(b) He really doesn't mind because he doesn't know Pop well.
(c) He wants to have a better team manager, so is glad The Judge is pushing Pop out.
(d) He wants to help the team win and save Pop's job.
12. Why does Max Mercy offer Roy $5000?
(a) He wants to buy the secret of Wonderboy.
(b) He offers it as a loan.
(c) He wants him to throw a game.
(d) For his family's history.
13. What are Bump Bailey's two main vices?
(a) Gambling and drinking.
(b) Trying to take credit for any wins and badmouthing his coach.
(c) Overeating and cursing.
(d) Bad locker room jokes and his attraction to Memo Paris.
14. What does Roy and Memo think they need for happiness?
(a) To get to travel together.
(b) To win at everything.
(c) People and things.
(d) A dream home and fancy car.
15. Why is Pop Fisher "heart heavy?"
(a) He really doesn't like baseball.
(b) He mourns Sam's death.
(c) He doesn't want Roy on his team.
(d) He has never had a winning season.
Short Answer Questions
1. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
2. What does Memo's reaction to Bump's death tell the reader, given her lack of relationship with him?
3. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
4. What will it take for Roy to be relieved from his suffering?
5. How do fans react to Roy after Bump's death?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)