Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
(a) Harriet and Memo.
(b) Fowler and Eddie.
(c) The Judge and Bump Bailey.
(d) Pop Fisher and Red Blow.
2. How did Roy obtain his special bat, Wonderboy?
(a) He got it from a famous player that visited his hometown.
(b) Sam gave it to him when he began representing him.
(c) He carved it from a tree that got struck by lightening.
(d) His dad gave it to him as a young boy.
3. What happens when Roy meets Gus?
(a) Gus offers him higher pay to work for him.
(b) Gus tells him the fans are disgruntled with him.
(c) Gus talks him into selling his story to Max Mercy.
(d) He gambles and looses each time.
4. By what name does Roy call his personal bat?
(b) He did give it a name.
(d) Slam Hitter.
5. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
(b) A sports writer.
(c) An Olympic athlete.
(d) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
6. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
(a) To not tell Pop about Red's revelation of his mistake.
(b) To always be his friend.
(c) To play his best if Pop puts him in.
(d) To stay away from Red's girlfriend.
7. What does the author tell us about Roy's declaration to become the best ball player ever?
(a) It will make Memo love him.
(b) It probably will come true.
(c) It can't come true because Roy is benched.
(d) It might bring misfortune.
8. What baseball position does Roy Hobbs try out for?
(b) Left fielder.
(c) Right fielder.
9. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
(a) They don't care what kind of bat he uses, as long as he hits.
(b) The are fascinated with it and believe in its magic.
(c) They tease him because it was handmade.
(d) They insist he use a precision bat from the team's stash.
10. How is failure treated in The Natural?
(a) It is considered a fact of life one must endure.
(b) It is considered a path to success.
(c) It is considered an opportunity to learn.
(d) It leads to further failure and heartache.
11. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
(a) He dreams he is a famous sportswriter.
(b) He dreams Roy was shot.
(c) He dreams he was stabbed.
(d) He dreams he wins the Most Valuable Player Award.
12. How does Roy hit baseballs in the game?
(a) He hits with precision and power.
(b) He hits with a crazy curve.
(c) He strikes out often, but gets a home run.
(d) He doesn't hit any better than the rest of his teammates.
13. What does Roy promise his fans?
(a) To use his money wisely if he gets a raise.
(b) To take care of Memo and treat her well.
(c) To become the best ball player ever.
(d) To stay with the team at least five years.
14. What does the Judge do when Roy asks for a raise?
(a) He gives him the raise, saying he is a valuable player.
(b) He fires him because of his arrogance.
(c) He gives him a smaller raise.
(d) He lectures him on the evils of money.
15. Why is Pop Fisher "heart heavy?"
(a) He has never had a winning season.
(b) He mourns Sam's death.
(c) He really doesn't like baseball.
(d) He doesn't want Roy on his team.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy dream of the first night with the Knights as he drifts off to sleep?
2. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
3. What does Gus brag to Roy about when they are talking in Memo's motel room?
4. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
5. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)