|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What baseball position does Roy Hobbs try out for?
(c) Left fielder.
(d) Right fielder.
2. What does Memo brag to Roy about when they go on a ride one night?
(a) About how much Bump loved her.
(b) About how much money she has.
(c) About her being a Beauty Queen.
(d) About her wonderful car.
3. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
(b) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
(c) That he is in love with her.
(d) That he plans to kill Sam.
4. How does Memo Paris react when Bump dies?
(a) She is sad for her uncle, Pop, as he misses Bump so much.
(b) She is glad Bump is gone so Roy could become the team leader.
(c) She sympathizes with Roy, but doesn't really feel anything about Bump.
(d) She hides in her hotel room, grieving.
5. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They petition The Judge to give him one.
(b) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
(c) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
(d) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
6. What are Bump Bailey's two main vices?
(a) Gambling and drinking.
(b) Overeating and cursing.
(c) Bad locker room jokes and his attraction to Memo Paris.
(d) Trying to take credit for any wins and badmouthing his coach.
7. What does Roy do to impress Memo and make some money?
(a) He sells his story to Max Mercy.
(b) He take her out to eat and agrees to a second job.
(c) He performs magic tricks.
(d) He bets on the next Knights game and wins.
8. What happens to Roy after Bump gets injured and dies?
(a) He inherits Bump's position and starts setting records.
(b) He is accused of manslaughter.
(c) He is rejected by his teammates who all liked Bump.
(d) He is thrown off the team.
9. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(b) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(c) He decides more money will win her love.
(d) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
10. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
(a) His zest for the game and his loyalty to the team.
(b) His sexual escapades and his laziness.
(c) His need for a winning game and his respect for Roy.
(d) His age (old) and the fact he has never won a game.
11. What does Max Mercy do that is harmful to Roy?
(a) He writes suspicions about his bat.
(b) He blames him publicly for Sam's death.
(c) He claims he is bad luck to a team.
(d) He tells about his past when he couldn't play baseball.
12. What is the Judge's plans for the Knights?
(a) He wants to sell the team to Roy, but Roy doesn't have the money to buy it.
(b) He wants to fire Pop and gain ownership.
(c) He wants to promote Roy as his best player.
(d) He wants to make the Knights a household word.
13. Why does Memo ride in the night with Roy without using headlights?
(a) She didn't know he had the lights off.
(b) They are trying to escape without being noticed.
(c) She hates the light and loves darkness.
(d) They need to conserve the car battery.
14. What is in the bassoon case that Roy carries on the train?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A set of tools.
(c) A bassoon.
(d) His bat.
15. What happens to Roy because of Doc Knobb's help?
(a) He is benched for refusing to accept it.
(b) He becomes the best batter in history.
(c) He leaves the team because Doc's help didn't work for him.
(d) He gets into an argument because one of the players doesn't believe it helps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fans follow the Knights?
2. What two things does Roy crave that drives his every action?
3. What does Memo's reaction to Bump's death tell the reader, given her lack of relationship with him?
4. Who is Max Mercy?
5. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)