|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
(b) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
(c) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(d) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
2. How does Roy hit baseballs in the game?
(a) He strikes out often, but gets a home run.
(b) He hits with a crazy curve.
(c) He doesn't hit any better than the rest of his teammates.
(d) He hits with precision and power.
3. What happens when Roy and Memo go for a drive?
(a) They get stranded when the car breaks down.
(b) They get mad at each other and Memo starts walking back.
(c) They see Roy and he get mad that Roy is with Memo.
(d) They see a boy in the road and Roy thinks they hit him.
4. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
(a) His need for a winning game and his respect for Roy.
(b) His age (old) and the fact he has never won a game.
(c) His sexual escapades and his laziness.
(d) His zest for the game and his loyalty to the team.
5. What does Roy do to impress Memo and make some money?
(a) He bets on the next Knights game and wins.
(b) He sells his story to Max Mercy.
(c) He performs magic tricks.
(d) He take her out to eat and agrees to a second job.
6. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides more money will win her love.
(b) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(c) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
(d) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
7. What does Roy do that gains Memo's approval and laughter?
(a) He takes her to her favorite restaurant.
(b) He does magic tricks that win his money back from Gus.
(c) He does a comedy act just for her.
(d) He pitches a winning game for the Knights.
8. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
(a) They don't care what kind of bat he uses, as long as he hits.
(b) The are fascinated with it and believe in its magic.
(c) They insist he use a precision bat from the team's stash.
(d) They tease him because it was handmade.
9. What viewpoint does the author take when he tells us about Roy's declaration and what it might lead to?
(a) Third person.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person limited.
(d) Omniscient narrator.
10. What event causes Memo to view Roy more favorably and go for a ride with him?
(a) He tells her about Bump's gambling and losses, making her glad Bump didn't marry her.
(b) He tells her about his plans to become the best ball player ever.
(c) He gets a white Mercedes-Benz from his fans.
(d) He gets his raise, finally.
11. How many years had pass before Roy Hobbs comes to play baseball again?
12. Why is Pop Fisher "heart heavy?"
(a) He mourns Sam's death.
(b) He has never had a winning season.
(c) He really doesn't like baseball.
(d) He doesn't want Roy on his team.
13. What does Roy reveal to Harriet?
(a) That he is in love with her.
(b) That he plans to kill Sam.
(c) That he wants to be the best baseball player ever.
(d) That he plans to throw a baseball game.
14. What physical trait does Gus have that makes him unique?
(a) Tattoos all over his body.
(b) A huge wart on the side of his nose.
(c) An eerie glass eye.
(d) A huge birthmark on his face.
15. Who is Memo Paris?
(a) Roy's girlfriend.
(b) A loyal fan that follows the team.
(c) Pop's niece and Bump's girlfriend.
(d) A reporter that writes good things about the team.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Roy meets Gus?
2. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
3. How old is Roy when he starts his journey on the train?
4. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
5. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)