|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
(a) The sports news headlines for the Chicago Cubs.
(b) The murder of two athletes.
(c) The change of coaches for the Chicago Cubs.
(d) The report of "The Whammer's" successful career.
2. What happens to Roy that Max Mercy finds out when he comes back to the motel?
(a) That he had a fight with Pop.
(b) That he plans to quit baseball.
(c) That he has a black eye.
(d) That Memo has dumped him.
3. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
(a) He accuses Roy and Memo of fighting and reports it to the newspaper.
(b) He offers Roy $500 to let him print his story about the wreck.
(c) He interviews Roy about his black eye and writes it for the newspaper.
(d) He chases him through the motel trying to get a photo for the newspaper.
4. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
(b) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
(c) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
(d) They petition The Judge to give him one.
5. How does Roy hit baseballs in the game?
(a) He strikes out often, but gets a home run.
(b) He hits with precision and power.
(c) He hits with a crazy curve.
(d) He doesn't hit any better than the rest of his teammates.
6. Who is the coach of the Brooklyn Knights when Roy Hobbs signs on?
(a) Sam Simpson.
(b) Red Blow.
(c) Max Mercy.
(d) Pop Fisher.
7. Who is Sam Simpson?
(a) A baseball pitcher.
(b) Roy's professional scout.
(c) Roy's father.
(d) A newspaper reporter.
8. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
(a) He thinks Roy is inexperienced.
(b) He doesn't like baseball.
(c) He has heard that Roy threw a baseball game.
(d) He is jealous of Harriet and Roy.
9. Who is Max Mercy?
(a) A coach who was on the train with Roy.
(b) An Olympic athlete.
(c) A sports writer.
(d) Harriet Bird's jealous husband.
10. How does Roy feel about The Judge wanting to push Pop out of his job?
(a) He wants to get Pop's job when he is pushed out.
(b) He really doesn't mind because he doesn't know Pop well.
(c) He wants to help the team win and save Pop's job.
(d) He wants to have a better team manager, so is glad The Judge is pushing Pop out.
11. How many years had pass before Roy Hobbs comes to play baseball again?
12. What does Max Mercy do that is harmful to Roy?
(a) He tells about his past when he couldn't play baseball.
(b) He claims he is bad luck to a team.
(c) He writes suspicions about his bat.
(d) He blames him publicly for Sam's death.
13. Roy consistently reaches out for love. Who does he reach out to in the slump before the game in which he pitches?
(a) Harriet Bird.
(b) Memo Paris.
(c) His teammates.
(d) Iris Lemon.
14. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
(a) To beware of Memo, who is a bad influence.
(b) To watch out about Fowler, who is jealous of him.
(c) To not play too hard because he was really too old to play baseball and might get injured.
(d) To watch his money and protect his old age.
15. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
(a) His need for a winning game and his respect for Roy.
(b) His zest for the game and his loyalty to the team.
(c) His sexual escapades and his laziness.
(d) His age (old) and the fact he has never won a game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Roy meets Gus?
2. Why is Roy so good at baseball?
3. What does Roy dream of the first night with the Knights as he drifts off to sleep?
4. What happens to Pop due to Doc's influence?
5. What does Roy and Memo think they need for happiness?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)