|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor tell Roy when he is in the hospital?
(a) That he is strong enough to play ball in the game.
(b) To stay away from baseball if he wants to live.
(c) That he doesn't think he will be able to win.
(d) That he needs to stop eating so much.
2. How is failure treated in The Natural?
(a) It is considered a fact of life one must endure.
(b) It is considered an opportunity to learn.
(c) It leads to further failure and heartache.
(d) It is considered a path to success.
3. How does Roy feel when he becomes the team hero, making news stories and filling sports columns with his achievements?
(a) He is unhappy, feeling like he has a lot more to live for, and wants to conquer the world.
(b) He is proud to be able to help his team out of their slump.
(c) He is ecstatic that he is a hero.
(d) He is happy, but misses Bump, who should have been the hitter.
4. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
(a) To give up his favorite bat and get another.
(b) To leave Memo and forget her.
(c) To get married to Memo.
(d) To try and lose the next game so they can win their bet.
5. What does Doc Knobb do that is supposed to help the players win?
(a) He practices with them every day.
(b) He hypnotizes them.
(c) He gives them steroids to make them stronger.
(d) He gives them a pep talk before a game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Roy after he leaves Iris and returns to Memo?
2. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
3. What does Iris tell Roy that repels him?
4. What baseball position does Roy Hobbs try out for?
5. What does Roy hope will happen to him after he agrees to throw the game?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)