|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warning does Red give Roy that he ignores?
(a) To not play too hard because he was really too old to play baseball and might get injured.
(b) To beware of Memo, who is a bad influence.
(c) To watch out about Fowler, who is jealous of him.
(d) To watch his money and protect his old age.
2. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
(a) Bump Bailey.
(b) Max Mercy.
(c) Pop Fisher.
(d) The Judge.
3. How does Roy feel when he becomes the team hero, making news stories and filling sports columns with his achievements?
(a) He is unhappy, feeling like he has a lot more to live for, and wants to conquer the world.
(b) He is ecstatic that he is a hero.
(c) He is happy, but misses Bump, who should have been the hitter.
(d) He is proud to be able to help his team out of their slump.
4. What does Gus brag to Roy about when they are talking in Memo's motel room?
(a) He brags about how much money he has.
(b) He brags about his prowess as a ball player.
(c) He brags about how good he is at gambling.
(d) He brags about how he takes advantage of people.
5. What do the fans do when they find out Roy didn't get a raise?
(a) They petition The Judge to give him one.
(b) They withdraw their support of him and start throwing things at him on the field.
(c) They shower him with gifts and declare a Roy Hobbs Day.
(d) They agree he doesn't deserve it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pop tell Roy about Memo?
2. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
3. What does Max Mercy do when he sees Roy and Memo return to the motel?
4. What does Memo's reaction to Bump's death tell the reader, given her lack of relationship with him?
5. How does Roy get a black eye?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)