|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What headlines in the newspaper catches Sam's attention?
(a) The murder of two athletes.
(b) The change of coaches for the Chicago Cubs.
(c) The report of "The Whammer's" successful career.
(d) The sports news headlines for the Chicago Cubs.
2. What does Max Mercy do that is harmful to Roy?
(a) He writes suspicions about his bat.
(b) He blames him publicly for Sam's death.
(c) He tells about his past when he couldn't play baseball.
(d) He claims he is bad luck to a team.
3. What American tendency does Malamud say The Judge and Gus take advantage of?
(a) The tendency to seek a mate at all costs.
(b) The tendency to follow one particular ball player.
(c) The tendency to fall for schemes promising quick money.
(d) The tendency to gamble on games.
4. Who are the two friends that Roy makes with the Knights?
(a) Fowler and Eddie.
(b) Harriet and Memo.
(c) The Judge and Bump Bailey.
(d) Pop Fisher and Red Blow.
5. What does Roy's teammates on the Knights think of his special bat?
(a) They insist he use a precision bat from the team's stash.
(b) The are fascinated with it and believe in its magic.
(c) They don't care what kind of bat he uses, as long as he hits.
(d) They tease him because it was handmade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gus brag to Roy about when they are talking in Memo's motel room?
2. Why does "The Whammer" reject Roy?
3. How do fans react to Roy after Bump's death?
4. How does Roy feel about Bump Bailey?
5. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)