• Roy embarks on a journey by train to join the Chicago Cubs.
• Roy experiences hunger on the train, a repeated theme throughout the novel.
• Sam, Roy's trainer and scout, struggles with alcoholism.
• Sam is not accepted and is often taunted.
• Sam is a father figure to Roy and tries to give him the best of things.
• Sam introduces himself and Roy to Max and Walter in an attempt to help Roy.
• Roy meets "The Whammer" on the train and strikes him out after Sam sets up a match.
• Newspaper headlines tell of the murder of athletes by a woman with a silver bullet.
• Sam has a prophetic dream about his death.
• Sam dies from being hit by a baseball thrown by Roy when he was trying to strike The Whammer out.
• Roy reveals to Harriet Bird his goal of being the best baseball player ever.
• When Roy...
This section contains 1,892 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)