Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapter 1 Abstract
* Roy embarks on a journey by train to join the Chicago Cubs.
* Roy experiences hunger on the train, a repeated theme throughout the novel.
* Sam, Roy's trainer and scout, struggles with alcoholism.
* Sam is not accepted and is often taunted.
Chapter 2 Abstract
* Sam is a father figure to Roy and tries to give him...
This section contains 2,091 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)