|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
2. While hidden Bigger reads a newspaper about the search for him. Why do the authorities still think Jan Erlone is the mastermind behind the entire murder and ransom?
3. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
4. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
5. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
2. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
3. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
4. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
5. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
6. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
7. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
8. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
9. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
10. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the way the author, Richard Wright wrote this story, demonstrates both sides of the "nature versus nurture" theory. This is particularly strong when Max testifies to the court about Bigger's life. In the essay describe various parts of the story and how they reinforce both aspects of the theory.
Essay Topic 2
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time to evaluate the outcomes. Was this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism of words "White" and "Black"
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, has used the words "Black" and "White" heavily throughout this novel. Write an essay on the symbolism of these words, using several examples of each from the novel. Include whether or not the words influenced you at all as you read it.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)