|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
2. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
3. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
4. When Bigger nearly falls off the ledge, how does the writer describe what he would fall into if he had fallen?
5. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
2. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
3. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
4. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
5. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
6. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
7. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
8. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
9. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
10. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism of words "White" and "Black"
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, has used the words "Black" and "White" heavily throughout this novel. Write an essay on the symbolism of these words, using several examples of each from the novel. Include whether or not the words influenced you at all as you read it.
Essay Topic 2
Fear, Flight and Fate Themes:
Write an essay about the way each of these themes were demonstrated in the story. Did any of them intertwine? If so, when/how?
Essay Topic 3
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time to evaluate the outcomes. Was this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)