|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 2, how do the reporters decide to frame their stories?
2. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
3. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
4. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
5. While hidden, Bigger reads a newspaper about the search for him. Why do the authorities still think Jan Erlone is the mastermind behind the entire murder and ransom?
Essay Topic 1
Fear, Flight, and Fate Themes:
Write an essay about the way each of these themes were demonstrated in the story. Do any of them intertwine? If so, when and how?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of hope and/or hopelessness throughout the novel. Which character experience hope, hopelessness, or both? How do different character's response to experiencing hope or hopelessness compare?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Bigger thinks about a time when black people might have the same chances as white people. Write an essay about this and answer the following questions: Does he believe this will happen, or just wish for it? Is it possible? What things need to change to make it happen? Has it been achieved today? If not, what still needs to be done?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)