Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
2. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
3. How many people are searching for Bigger after he runs away from the Dalton home after Mary's bones are found?
4. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
5. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace; he just adds more coal. What happens then?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on State Attorney Buckley and the way he handled the case against Bigger. Did Buckley have anything to gain by winning the case against Bigger? If so, what? By what was Buckley's case driven? Race? The gravity of the crime? The public's opinion? Selfish ambition? The honest opinion that if you do the crime you must face the consequences?
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an essay about the novel's author, Richard Wright. What other novels has he written? What are common themes among his writings?
Essay Topic 3
Explore what it must have been like living in the "Black Belt." The story tells readers that black families pay twice as much rent as white families. The story also tells that black families are not permitted to live in white communities. How do these limitations effect one's feelings about oneself? How does it effect one's feelings about the people who make such unjust rules? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)