|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
2. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
3. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
4. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
5. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
2. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
3. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
4. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
5. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
6. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
7. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
8. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
9. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
10. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time to evaluate the outcomes. Was this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
Essay Topic 2
Use of Actual Historical Events:
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, used actual historical events in the novel to bring more life to the story and to aid in his plot. In particular he mentioned the Scottsboro Boys and the Leob and Leopold Case. Write an essay about these cases and how they fit into the novel. Add any additional points used that were from real historical events.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism of words "White" and "Black"
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, has used the words "Black" and "White" heavily throughout this novel. Write an essay on the symbolism of these words, using several examples of each from the novel. Include whether or not the words influenced you at all as you read it.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)