|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
2. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
3. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
4. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
5. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
2. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
3. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
4. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
5. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
6. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
7. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
8. In what ways was Bigger's capture similar to the opening of the book when Bigger chased, eventually killing the rat?
9. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
10. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism of words "White" and "Black"
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, has used the words "Black" and "White" heavily throughout this novel. Write an essay on the symbolism of these words, using several examples of each from the novel. Include whether or not the words influenced you at all as you read it.
Essay Topic 2
Use of Actual Historical Events:
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, used actual historical events in the novel to bring more life to the story and to aid in his plot. In particular he mentioned the Scottsboro Boys and the Leob and Leopold Case. Write an essay about these cases and how they fit into the novel. Add any additional points used that were from real historical events.
Essay Topic 3
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time to evaluate the outcomes. Was this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)