|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
2. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
3. How does Mrs. Dalton look when she comes to Bigger's room to question him about Mary's disappearance?
4. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
5. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop of the building where he is hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear, Flight, and Fate Themes:
Write an essay about the way each of these themes were demonstrated in the story. Do any of them intertwine? If so, when and how?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the explicit scenes in the novel and whether they were necessary in getting the points of the novel across to the reader. Was the coarseness of the novel offensive? Or, did it help create a sense of how deep the topic of the novel is?
Essay Topic 3
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, uses the words "black" and "white" heavily throughout this novel. Write an essay on the symbolism of these words, using several examples of each from the novel. Discuss whether or not the words influenced you as you read it.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)