Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
2. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
3. How many people are searching for Bigger after he runs away from the Dalton home after Mary's bones are found?
4. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
5. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace; he just adds more coal. What happens then?
Bigger admits he once wanted to become an aviator, join the Army or go into business. Write an essay about what stopped him from doing these things. Did he just think he couldn't do it, or were their actually things that prohibited him from doing these things? What were the reasons he couldn't or wouldn't do it? Did other black people do these things? Did other poor people do these things? Why not Bigger?
Write an essay about how the police searched for Bigger. Was there a difference in how they pursued him versus any other suspect? Was the search escalated because of Bigger's race? Or, was it escalated because the crime was against a white person? Or, both? Was his murder of Bessie considered less important than his killing Mary?
At the very end of the story, Max is upset when Bigger comes to the conclusion that it must have been good that he committed murder. In an essay, explain Bigger's reasoning and how he came to that conclusion. Also explain what Max is trying to make Bigger understand after he comes to this conclusion. Why might the two men have different views on this subject?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)