|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
2. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
3. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only wrote about him after he killed Mary?
4. What happens when Bigger arrives at Bessie's apartment and he tries to kiss her?
5. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how the police searched for Bigger. Was there a difference in how they pursued him versus any other suspect? Was the search escalated because of Bigger's race? Or, was it escalated because the crime was against a white person? Or, both? Was his murder of Bessie considered less important than his killing Mary?
Essay Topic 2
At the very end of the story, Max is upset when Bigger comes to the conclusion that it must have been good that he committed murder. In an essay, explain Bigger's reasoning and how he came to that conclusion. Also explain what Max is trying to make Bigger understand after he comes to this conclusion. Why might the two men have different views on this subject?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the explicit scenes in the novel and whether they were necessary in getting the points of the novel across to the reader. Was the coarseness of the novel offensive? Or, did it help create a sense of how deep the topic of the novel is?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)