|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
2. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
3. How many people are searching for Bigger after he runs away from the Dalton home after Mary's bones are found?
4. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
5. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace; he just adds more coal. What happens then?
Essay Topic 1
This novel was written in 1940. Write an essay about the public's reaction to the novel. Did it receive acclaim of any kind? Why do you feel this novel should or should not be required reading?
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an essay about the novel's author, Richard Wright. What other novels has he written? What are common themes among his writings?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay and answer the following questions and explain why you feel this way. Was Bigger incredibly smart in the way he thought things through and created a plan to cover up Mary's death and even profit from it? Or, was Bigger incredibly naive to think he could pull it off?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)