|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
2. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does Bigger do to persuade her?
3. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
4. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
5. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the very end of the story, Max is upset when Bigger comes to the conclusion that it must have been good that he committed murder. In an essay, explain Bigger's reasoning and how he came to that conclusion. Also explain what Max is trying to make Bigger understand after he comes to this conclusion. Why might the two men have different views on this subject?
Essay Topic 2
In most novels the main character has some redeeming quality that makes the readers sympathetic to him. It helps readers relate to the character more. Did Bigger have any of these qualities? If so, what were they?
Essay Topic 3
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time and can evaluate the possible outcomes. Is this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)