|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
2. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
3. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
4. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
5. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
2. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
3. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
4. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
5. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
6. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
7. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
8. What things made the Daltons begin to worry about their daughter being gone?
9. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
10. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the way the author, Richard Wright wrote this story, demonstrates both sides of the "nature versus nurture" theory. This is particularly strong when Max testifies to the court about Bigger's life. In the essay describe various parts of the story and how they reinforce both aspects of the theory.
Essay Topic 2
Use of Actual Historical Events:
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, used actual historical events in the novel to bring more life to the story and to aid in his plot. In particular he mentioned the Scottsboro Boys and the Leob and Leopold Case. Write an essay about these cases and how they fit into the novel. Add any additional points used that were from real historical events.
Essay Topic 3
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time to evaluate the outcomes. Was this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)