|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
2. How many people are searching for Bigger?
3. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
4. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
5. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
2. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
3. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
4. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
5. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
6. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
7. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
8. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
9. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
10. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use of Actual Historical Events:
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, used actual historical events in the novel to bring more life to the story and to aid in his plot. In particular he mentioned the Scottsboro Boys and the Leob and Leopold Case. Write an essay about these cases and how they fit into the novel. Add any additional points used that were from real historical events.
Essay Topic 2
At the very end of the story Max is upset when Bigger comes to the conclusion that it must have been good that he killed. In an essay explain Bigger's reasoning and how he came to that conclusion. Also explain what Max is trying to make Bigger understand after he comes to this conclusion. Why might the two men have different views on this subject?
Essay Topic 3
Fear, Flight and Fate Themes:
Write an essay about the way each of these themes were demonstrated in the story. Did any of them intertwine? If so, when/how?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)