|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
2. What Bigger and his friends call the game they play?
3. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
4. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary and Jan enter the restaurant?
5. What does Bigger do after he puts Mary to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bigger help Mary to her room instead of waking her parents and letting them know her drunken condition?
2. Describe Bigger's home.
3. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
4. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
5. What does it mean about Bigger "Feeling his blackness," even more after Mary Dalton and Jan Erlone's attempts at being friendly?
6. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
7. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
8. How does Bigger feel about his family?
9. Why did Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
10. Why do the Dalton's make Bigger feel so uncomfortable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time to evaluate the outcomes. Was this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism of words "White" and "Black"
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, has used the words "Black" and "White" heavily throughout this novel. Write an essay on the symbolism of these words, using several examples of each from the novel. Include whether or not the words influenced you at all as you read it.
Essay Topic 3
At the very end of the story Max is upset when Bigger comes to the conclusion that it must have been good that he killed. In an essay explain Bigger's reasoning and how he came to that conclusion. Also explain what Max is trying to make Bigger understand after he comes to this conclusion. Why might the two men have different views on this subject?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)