|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
2. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
3. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
4. How many bedrooms does the Thomas family share?
5. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the game, "White," that Bigger and his friends played.
2. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death, and what did he do with it?
3. After all the gory details of the way he disposed of Mary's body, how was Bigger reacting?
4. How does Bigger really feel about holding up Blum's Delicatessen?
5. What does it mean about Bigger "Feeling his blackness," even more after Mary Dalton and Jan Erlone's attempts at being friendly?
6. Describe Bigger's home.
7. How does Bigger feel about his family?
8. Why do the Dalton's make Bigger feel so uncomfortable?
9. Why does Bigger need to get a job?
10. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the very end of the story Max is upset when Bigger comes to the conclusion that it must have been good that he killed. In an essay explain Bigger's reasoning and how he came to that conclusion. Also explain what Max is trying to make Bigger understand after he comes to this conclusion. Why might the two men have different views on this subject?
Essay Topic 2
Fear, Flight and Fate Themes:
Write an essay about the way each of these themes were demonstrated in the story. Did any of them intertwine? If so, when/how?
Essay Topic 3
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time to evaluate the outcomes. Was this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)