Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
2. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
3. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
4. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
5. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrives at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
2. As Bigger arrives at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how is he feeling?
3. What is the Leopold and Loeb case that gives Bigger the idea to collect a ransom by pretending Mary was kidnapped?
4. Describe Bigger's home.
5. What is Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
6. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they find Mary isn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
7. When does Bigger finally break his silence and fast?
8. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rides the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spends a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thinks would be a solution to their fear and shame.
9. During his final conversation with Bigger, what was most frustrating for Max?
10. Why is Bigger so upset when Max is uncertain of what Bigger meant when he spoke of the things he had told Max "that night?"
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how the police searched for Bigger. Was there a difference in how they pursued him versus any other suspect? Was the search escalated because of Bigger's race? Or, was it escalated because the crime was against a white person? Or, both? Was his murder of Bessie considered less important than his killing Mary?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Bigger's sanity. Was he sane? Are their degrees of sanity as Boris Max was trying to prove? If you were on the jury in this case how would you feel?
Essay Topic 3
Reverse the roles of the Thomas Family and the Dalton family. What do you think would have changed about the Daltons after living in poverty and hopelessness? Might they feel hatred toward the Thomas family? How do you think the Thomas family would treat the Daltons?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)