|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary, and Jan enter the restaurant?
2. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
3. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
4. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
5. What does Bigger do after he puts Mary to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bigger also charged with the rape of Mary?
2. Who visits Bigger after Reverend Hammond and why?
3. Why does Max want Bigger to plead guilty, but not enter a plea of insanity; yet, at the same time try to prove Bigger is not mentally capable of acting as any white person would describe as sane?
4. Bigger is very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
5. How does Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
6. Why is Bigger determined to never feel anything like hope again?
7. What is Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrives at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
8. Why does Bigger seem to take an instant dislike to Mary Dalton?
9. What is the story Bigger plans to tell the Daltons when he returns to their home in the morning?
10. Bigger says he has no hope. If that is so, explain why he is always so angry.
Essay Topic 1
Fear, Flight, and Fate Themes:
Write an essay about the way each of these themes were demonstrated in the story. Do any of them intertwine? If so, when and how?
Essay Topic 2
In most novels the main character has some redeeming quality that makes the readers sympathetic to him. It helps readers relate to the character more. Did Bigger have any of these qualities? If so, what were they?
Essay Topic 3
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time and can evaluate the possible outcomes. Is this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
This section contains 1,836 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)