|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
2. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
3. What is the on-going plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
4. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
5. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Dalton's make Bigger feel so uncomfortable?
2. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
3. Describe Bigger's home.
4. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
5. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
6. Why did Bigger help Mary to her room instead of waking her parents and letting them know her drunken condition?
7. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
8. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
9. What is the symbolism of the two movies Bigger and his friends saw?
10. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death, and what did he do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the very end of the story Max is upset when Bigger comes to the conclusion that it must have been good that he killed. In an essay explain Bigger's reasoning and how he came to that conclusion. Also explain what Max is trying to make Bigger understand after he comes to this conclusion. Why might the two men have different views on this subject?
Essay Topic 2
Use of Actual Historical Events:
The author of this novel, Richard Wright, used actual historical events in the novel to bring more life to the story and to aid in his plot. In particular he mentioned the Scottsboro Boys and the Leob and Leopold Case. Write an essay about these cases and how they fit into the novel. Add any additional points used that were from real historical events.
Essay Topic 3
There are places in the story where Bigger demonstrates a keen ability to visualize a situation ahead of time to evaluate the outcomes. Was this an advantage or disadvantage to him in the story? Give examples in the essay.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)