|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
(b) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
(c) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(d) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
2. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
(a) Fear and dread
(b) He doesn't know the ashes need to be removed.
(c) He is afraid of burning himself.
(d) He wants to make sure Mary's body is completely burned.
3. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
(a) That Mr. Dalton and Britten are making Bigger lie.
(b) That they are all crazy and should be looking for Mary instead of questioning him.
(c) That Bigger is the person responsible for Mary's disappearance.
(d) That Mr. Dalton, Britten and Bigger just hate communists.
4. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
(b) Kidnapping and ransom
(c) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
(d) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
5. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
(b) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(c) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
(d) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bigger returns to the basement to shake down the ashes, what stops him?
2. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
3. How many people are searching for Bigger?
4. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
5. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only just wrote about him after he killed Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
2. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
3. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
4. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
5. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
6. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
7. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
8. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
9. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
10. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)