|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
(a) He rapes her then cuts off her head like he did Mary's and throws her body down an air shaft.
(b) He rapes her then after she falls alseep kills her with a brick then throws her body down an air shaft.
(c) He sleeps then awakens realizing he must kill Bessie.
(d) He smashes her head with a brick then runs away.
2. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
(a) About Jan Erlone's involvement with the communists.
(b) About Mary leaving her new clothing behind.
(c) About where he took Mary the night before.
(d) About where the car was parked, the trunk and Jan Erlone.
3. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(b) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
(c) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
(d) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
4. How does Mrs. Dalton look when she comes to Bigger's room to question him about Mary's disappearance?
(a) She's wearing a white pants suit and has her white hair tied back in a bun.
(b) She's dressed in white and she looks suspicious.
(c) She's wearing black because she knows Mary is dead.
(d) She's dressed in white and she is very pale.
5. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
(a) That the car is in the driveway because "the gentleman", Jan, was going to drive himself home the night before.
(b) That he has no idea what could have happened since Mary was fine when he left her.
(c) That the "gentleman", Jan Erlone, was planning on spending the night and he was going to go with Mary to the train in the morning.
(d) He confesses that Mary had been drunk the night before and that "the gentleman", Jan Erlone, insisted on driving her home, but dropped Bigger at his home first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
2. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
3. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
4. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
5. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
2. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
3. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
4. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
5. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
6. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
7. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
8. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
9. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
10. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)