|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
(a) They shoot him in the leg.
(b) An officer wrestles with him and wins.
(c) They don't, he gets away one more time.
(d) They use a water hose to soak him.
2. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
(a) "Better Red than Dead" in red ink
(b) "Red", with a drawing of a hammer and sickle
(c) "J. Erlone", with a drawing of a noose
(d) "Red", with a drawing of a noose
3. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
(a) His bloody clothing
(b) Mary's purse
(c) The knife
(d) The pamphlets Jan gave him
4. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
(a) He burns them.
(b) He goes to his room in the Dalton house and carefully puts them in his drawer.
(c) He sits on the bed and reads them.
(d) He throws them in the trash.
5. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
(a) About Mary leaving her new clothing behind.
(b) About where he took Mary the night before.
(c) About where the car was parked, the trunk and Jan Erlone.
(d) About Jan Erlone's involvement with the communists.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
2. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
3. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
4. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
5. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
2. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
3. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
4. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
5. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
6. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
7. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
8. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
9. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
10. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)