|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Dalton look when she comes to Bigger's room to question him about Mary's disappearance?
(a) She's dressed in white and she looks suspicious.
(b) She's wearing black because she knows Mary is dead.
(c) She's dressed in white and she is very pale.
(d) She's wearing a white pants suit and has her white hair tied back in a bun.
2. Who is Britten?
(a) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(b) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(c) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(d) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
3. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
(a) About where the car was parked, the trunk and Jan Erlone.
(b) About Jan Erlone's involvement with the communists.
(c) About Mary leaving her new clothing behind.
(d) About where he took Mary the night before.
4. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
(a) Put $1,000 in a hat box that Bessie will retrieve.
(b) Put $100,000 in a hat box that he will retrieve.
(c) Have $10,000 put in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(d) But $100,000 in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
5. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
(a) She tells him to take the day off because everyone is too worried about Mary to need his services that day.
(b) To take the trunk to the attic because the Dalton's will start worrying about Mary if they see it.
(c) Go to the train station and find out what has happened to Mary's trunk.
(d) Go the the train station and pick up Mary's trunk because no one claimed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
2. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
3. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
4. In book two, how do the reporters decide to frame their stories?
5. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
2. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
3. What things made the Daltons begin to worry about their daughter being gone?
4. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
5. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
6. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
7. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
8. In what ways was Bigger's capture similar to the opening of the book when Bigger chased, eventually killing the rat?
9. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
10. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)