|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Bigger arrives at Bessie's apartment and he tries to kiss her?
(a) She tells him that since he now has a job he can marry her.
(b) She argues with him about not being home when she tried to visit him the night before.
(c) She isn't interested because he ignored her at the diner.
(d) She tells him if he doesn't marry her it means he is ashamed of her.
2. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
(a) That the "gentleman", Jan Erlone, was planning on spending the night and he was going to go with Mary to the train in the morning.
(b) He confesses that Mary had been drunk the night before and that "the gentleman", Jan Erlone, insisted on driving her home, but dropped Bigger at his home first.
(c) That he has no idea what could have happened since Mary was fine when he left her.
(d) That the car is in the driveway because "the gentleman", Jan, was going to drive himself home the night before.
3. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
(b) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
(c) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(d) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
4. Who is Britten?
(a) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(b) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(c) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
(d) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
5. How many people are searching for Bigger?
(a) Five thousand vigilantes.
(b) Eight thousand armed, angry, white men.
(c) Eight thousand police officers.
(d) Eight thousand police and vigilantes.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
2. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
3. What happens when one of the men discovers bone and an earring in the ashes?
4. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
5. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
2. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
3. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
4. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
5. What things made the Daltons begin to worry about their daughter being gone?
6. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
7. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
8. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
9. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
10. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)