|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
(a) Money and cigars
(b) A dollar and a pack of cigarettes
(c) Candy and gum
(d) A cigarette and a roll of dollars
2. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
(b) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(c) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
(d) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
3. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
(a) He smashes her head with a brick then runs away.
(b) He sleeps then awakens realizing he must kill Bessie.
(c) He rapes her then after she falls alseep kills her with a brick then throws her body down an air shaft.
(d) He rapes her then cuts off her head like he did Mary's and throws her body down an air shaft.
4. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(b) That he would keep quiet for a price.
(c) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
(d) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
5. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
(b) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(c) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
(d) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
2. When Bigger nearly falls off the ledge, how does the writer describe what he would fall into if he had fallen?
3. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
4. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
5. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
2. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
3. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
4. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
5. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
6. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
7. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
8. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
9. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
10. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)