|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are searching for Bigger?
(a) Eight thousand police and vigilantes.
(b) Five thousand vigilantes.
(c) Eight thousand armed, angry, white men.
(d) Eight thousand police officers.
2. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
(a) She is greedy and wants in on the deal.
(b) He says he will give her half the money.
(c) He threatens to murder her family.
(d) He says he will leave her if she doesn't help him.
3. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
(a) About where the car was parked, the trunk and Jan Erlone.
(b) About Jan Erlone's involvement with the communists.
(c) About where he took Mary the night before.
(d) About Mary leaving her new clothing behind.
4. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
(a) He rapes her then cuts off her head like he did Mary's and throws her body down an air shaft.
(b) He rapes her then after she falls alseep kills her with a brick then throws her body down an air shaft.
(c) He smashes her head with a brick then runs away.
(d) He sleeps then awakens realizing he must kill Bessie.
5. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(b) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
(c) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
(d) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book two when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
2. When Bigger nearly falls off the ledge, how does the writer describe what he would fall into if he had fallen?
3. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
4. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
5. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
2. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
3. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
4. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
5. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
6. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
7. In what ways was Bigger's capture similar to the opening of the book when Bigger chased, eventually killing the rat?
8. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
9. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
10. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)