|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Bigger arrives at Bessie's apartment and he tries to kiss her?
(a) She tells him if he doesn't marry her it means he is ashamed of her.
(b) She argues with him about not being home when she tried to visit him the night before.
(c) She tells him that since he now has a job he can marry her.
(d) She isn't interested because he ignored her at the diner.
2. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace; he just adds more coal. What happens then?
(a) The room fill with smoke so Bigger has to get a fan to blow it out the basement window.
(b) The fire starts to get hot again.
(c) The fire goes out and Bigger must restart it.
(d) The fire is smothered and the basement fills with smoke.
3. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
(a) He has no regrets.
(b) He regrets she didn't see things his way.
(c) He left $90 in her pocket.
(d) He didn't take back his engagement ring.
4. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
(a) Mary's purse.
(b) His bloody clothing.
(c) The pamphlets Jan gave him.
(d) The knife.
5. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
(a) "Red," with a drawing of a noose.
(b) "Red," with a drawing of a hammer and sickle.
(c) "J. Erlone," with a drawing of a noose.
(d) "Better Red than Dead" in red ink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
2. How is the building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
3. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop of the building where he is hiding?
4. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
5. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)