|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only just wrote about him after he killed Mary?
(a) Because he didn't like the attention that could result in his being caught.
(b) He is unhappy because the story isn't accurate.
(c) Becaue he has felt the same anger and hatred inside him his entire life and no one ever wrote about it before.
(d) He is thrilled the newspaper is writing about him and thinks about killing again for more attention.
2. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
(b) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(c) That he would keep quiet for a price.
(d) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
3. In book two, how do the reporters decide to frame their stories?
(a) That the communists and the negros are working together to get the ransom.
(b) That negros are becomming more involved with communisim.
(c) That the negros want to be left alone and the communists forcing their beliefs on them.
(d) That the communists have plotted the kidnapping and are blaming it on Bigger.
4. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
(a) He says he will give her half the money.
(b) He threatens to murder her family.
(c) She is greedy and wants in on the deal.
(d) He says he will leave her if she doesn't help him.
5. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
(b) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
(c) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(d) All are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
2. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
3. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
4. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
5. While hidden Bigger reads a newspaper about the search for him. Why do the authorities still think Jan Erlone is the mastermind behind the entire murder and ransom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
2. In what ways was Bigger's capture similar to the opening of the book when Bigger chased, eventually killing the rat?
3. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
4. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
5. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
6. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
7. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
8. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
9. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
10. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)