|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
(a) He rapes her then after she falls asleep, kills her with a brick, then throws her body down an air shaft.
(b) He rapes her then cuts off her head like he did Mary's and throws her body down an air shaft.
(c) He smashes her head with a brick, then runs away.
(d) He sleeps, then awakens realizing he must kill Bessie.
2. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
(a) He steals a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(b) He steals a loaf of bread then hides in an alley to eat it.
(c) He buys a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(d) He hides with a group of homeless people living near the river.
3. In Book 2 as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
(a) That Mary's body didn't fit in the furnace. He hated all the blood when he cut off her head.
(b) That he hadn't planned the murder so he could have gotten more money and felt more successful.
(c) That he ever got mixed up with the Dalton's in the first place.
(d) That he had to work.
4. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(b) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
(c) That he would keep quiet for a price.
(d) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
5. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
(a) He loads her trunk, waits by the car, rings the bell, then asks Peggy what he should do since Mary has not come down.
(b) He asks Mrs. Dalton what time Mary's train is supposed to leave, because he doesn't want them to be late.
(c) He eats breakfast with the Daltons as though nothing unusual has happened.
(d) He eats his breakfast then asks Peggy to go upstairs and find out what is taking Mary so long.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
2. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
3. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
4. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it and what does he tell her?
5. How does Mrs. Dalton look when she comes to Bigger's room to question him about Mary's disappearance?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)