|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are searching for Bigger?
(a) Five thousand vigilantes.
(b) Eight thousand police and vigilantes.
(c) Eight thousand police officers.
(d) Eight thousand armed, angry, white men.
2. As Bigger tells his fabricated story about the previous evening to Mr. Dalton and Britten, what is he feeling?
(a) Afraid they won't believe him and that he'll be under suspicion.
(b) Like he is the one in control because he is telling them what he wants them to believe.
(c) So proud of his story he thinks of becoming a fiction writer.
(d) Worried they will find something in his story that doesn't ring true.
3. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
(a) A vacant building in the slums.
(b) A tall, white and silent building.
(c) A white, vacant, quiet building.
(d) A large, white building.
4. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
(a) About Jan Erlone's involvement with the communists.
(b) About where the car was parked, the trunk and Jan Erlone.
(c) About Mary leaving her new clothing behind.
(d) About where he took Mary the night before.
5. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
(a) An officer wrestles with him and wins.
(b) They shoot him in the leg.
(c) They don't, he gets away one more time.
(d) They use a water hose to soak him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
2. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
3. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
4. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
5. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
2. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
3. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
4. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
5. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
6. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
7. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
8. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
9. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
10. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)