|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
(a) "Better Red than Dead" in red ink
(b) "J. Erlone", with a drawing of a noose
(c) "Red", with a drawing of a hammer and sickle
(d) "Red", with a drawing of a noose
2. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
(a) He remembers everything he did the night before.
(b) He tries to sneak out of the house unnoticed.
(c) He sees his brother, Buddy, staring at him suspiciously.
(d) He doesn't think about what happened the night before.
3. As Bigger tells his fabricated story about the previous evening to Mr. Dalton and Britten, what is he feeling?
(a) Afraid they won't believe him and that he'll be under suspicion.
(b) Worried they will find something in his story that doesn't ring true.
(c) Like he is the one in control because he is telling them what he wants them to believe.
(d) So proud of his story he thinks of becoming a fiction writer.
4. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
(b) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(c) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
(d) All are correct.
5. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
(a) That he was in love with a beautiful girl.
(b) That he was lucky to have a good job.
(c) That he killed a rich, white girl.
(d) That he knew something they didn't know.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
2. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
3. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
4. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
5. When Bigger returns to the basement to shake down the ashes, what stops him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
2. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
3. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
4. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
5. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
6. In what ways was Bigger's capture similar to the opening of the book when Bigger chased, eventually killing the rat?
7. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
8. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
9. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
10. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)