|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book two when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
(a) How Mrs. Dalton nearly caught him with Mary in her bedroom the night before.
(b) How noisy he was when he took the trunk to the car that morning.
(c) How noisy he was when he took the trunk the the basement the night before.
(d) How his mother warned him he'll end up in the gallows if he doesn't straighten out his life.
2. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
(a) He's afraid his daughter is just doing this to disgrace the family.
(b) He is afraid of the bad publicity.
(c) He doesn't want the police invovled because doesn't trust them.
(d) He doesn't think Jan Erlone has anything to do with it.
3. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
(b) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(c) That he would keep quiet for a price.
(d) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
4. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
(a) There must have been some kind of foul play because Mary is usally very responsible.
(b) Mary probably left earlier than expected because she is usually unpredictable.
(c) Mary probably waited for Bigger to leave then snuck out of the house again.
(d) To Bigger's shock she told him that Mary has lost her head since dating Jan Erlone.
5. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
(a) Under the back door.
(b) In the Dalton mail box.
(c) Under the front door.
(d) On Mr. Dalton's desk in his office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
2. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
3. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
4. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
5. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
2. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
3. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
4. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
5. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
6. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
7. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
8. In what ways was Bigger's capture similar to the opening of the book when Bigger chased, eventually killing the rat?
9. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
10. What things made the Daltons begin to worry about their daughter being gone?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)