|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(b) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
(c) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(d) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
2. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
(a) He loads her trunk, waits by the car, rings the bell, then asks Peggy what he should do since Mary has not come down.
(b) He asks Mrs. Dalton what time Mary's train is supposed to leave, because he doesn't want them to be late.
(c) He eats breakfast with the Daltons as though nothing unusual has happened.
(d) He eats his breakfast then asks Peggy to go upstairs and find out what is taking Mary so long.
3. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
(a) He admits that he killed Mary and threatens Bessie, too.
(b) He denies killing Mary, but admits he stole money from her.
(c) He admits that he killed Mary and tells Bessie he'll tell everyone she helped him.
(d) He laughs and says Mary killed herself by jumping in the river and he just watched.
4. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
(b) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(c) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
(d) That he would keep quiet for a price.
5. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
(a) That he knew something they didn't know.
(b) That he was lucky to have a good job.
(c) That he was in love with a beautiful girl.
(d) That he killed a rich, white girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
2. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
3. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
4. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
5. Where does Bigger first go after leaving his home the morning after Mary's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
2. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
3. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
4. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
5. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
6. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
7. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
8. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
9. In what ways was Bigger's capture similar to the opening of the book when Bigger chased, eventually killing the rat?
10. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)