|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
(a) Peggy watching from the top of the stairs.
(b) The shape of Mary's body beneath the coals.
(c) The white cat watching him again.
(d) He can't see anything because the light it out.
2. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only just wrote about him after he killed Mary?
(a) Becaue he has felt the same anger and hatred inside him his entire life and no one ever wrote about it before.
(b) He is unhappy because the story isn't accurate.
(c) Because he didn't like the attention that could result in his being caught.
(d) He is thrilled the newspaper is writing about him and thinks about killing again for more attention.
3. Who is Britten?
(a) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(b) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(c) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
(d) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
4. In book two, how do the reporters decide to frame their stories?
(a) That the negros want to be left alone and the communists forcing their beliefs on them.
(b) That the communists and the negros are working together to get the ransom.
(c) That the communists have plotted the kidnapping and are blaming it on Bigger.
(d) That negros are becomming more involved with communisim.
5. How does Mrs. Dalton look when she comes to Bigger's room to question him about Mary's disappearance?
(a) She's wearing a white pants suit and has her white hair tied back in a bun.
(b) She's dressed in white and she is very pale.
(c) She's dressed in white and she looks suspicious.
(d) She's wearing black because she knows Mary is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
2. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
3. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
4. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
5. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
2. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
3. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
4. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
5. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
6. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
7. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
8. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
9. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
10. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)