|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
(a) Under the back door.
(b) On Mr. Dalton's desk in his office.
(c) Under the front door.
(d) In the Dalton mail box.
2. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
(a) He wishes he could be with his mother.
(b) He hums along, but feeling to peace he gets angry.
(c) He hates the music and can't wait to find another apartment.
(d) He half wishes he was a believer like his mother, but doesn't want to give up his sense of self.
3. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
(a) The police.
(b) Mrs. Dalton and a white private investigator.
(c) Mr. Dalton and a group of white men.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dalton and Peggy.
4. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
(a) The fire starts to get hot again.
(b) The fire goes out and Bigger must restart it.
(c) The fire is smothered and the basement fills with smoke.
(d) The room fill with smoke so Bigger has to get a fan to blow it out the basement window.
5. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
(a) "J. Erlone", with a drawing of a noose
(b) "Better Red than Dead" in red ink
(c) "Red", with a drawing of a noose
(d) "Red", with a drawing of a hammer and sickle
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
2. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
3. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
4. As Bigger tells his fabricated story about the previous evening to Mr. Dalton and Britten, what is he feeling?
5. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
2. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
3. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
4. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
5. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
6. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
7. What things made the Daltons begin to worry about their daughter being gone?
8. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
9. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
10. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)