|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
2. Where does Bigger first go after leaving his home the morning after Mary's murder?
(b) Bessie's apartment
(c) The Dalton's home
(d) The pool hall
3. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
(a) About where he took Mary the night before.
(b) About Mary leaving her new clothing behind.
(c) About where the car was parked, the trunk and Jan Erlone.
(d) About Jan Erlone's involvement with the communists.
4. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Dalton and Peggy.
(b) Mr. Dalton and a group of white men.
(c) Mrs. Dalton and a white private investigator.
(d) The police.
5. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
(a) He left $90 in her pocket.
(b) He regrets she didn't see things his way.
(c) He has no regrets.
(d) He didn't take back his engagement ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
2. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
3. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
4. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
5. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
2. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
3. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
4. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
5. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
6. What things made the Daltons begin to worry about their daughter being gone?
7. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
8. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
9. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
10. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)