|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
(a) He wishes he could be with his mother.
(b) He hums along, but feeling to peace he gets angry.
(c) He hates the music and can't wait to find another apartment.
(d) He half wishes he was a believer like his mother, but doesn't want to give up his sense of self.
2. As Bigger tells his fabricated story about the previous evening to Mr. Dalton and Britten, what is he feeling?
(a) Afraid they won't believe him and that he'll be under suspicion.
(b) So proud of his story he thinks of becoming a fiction writer.
(c) Worried they will find something in his story that doesn't ring true.
(d) Like he is the one in control because he is telling them what he wants them to believe.
3. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
(a) That he was lucky to have a good job.
(b) That he knew something they didn't know.
(c) That he was in love with a beautiful girl.
(d) That he killed a rich, white girl.
4. What happens when Bigger arrives at Bessie's apartment and he tries to kiss her?
(a) She tells him that since he now has a job he can marry her.
(b) She argues with him about not being home when she tried to visit him the night before.
(c) She isn't interested because he ignored her at the diner.
(d) She tells him if he doesn't marry her it means he is ashamed of her.
5. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(b) All are correct.
(c) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
(d) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
2. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
3. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
4. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
5. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
2. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
3. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
4. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
5. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
6. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
7. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
8. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
9. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
10. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)