|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
(a) He is afraid of the bad publicity.
(b) He doesn't think Jan Erlone has anything to do with it.
(c) He's afraid his daughter is just doing this to disgrace the family.
(d) He doesn't want the police invovled because doesn't trust them.
2. When Bigger returns to the basement to shake down the ashes, what stops him?
(a) The white cat stares at him and makes uncomfortable.
(b) He hears someone and is afraid they will see Mary's body.
(c) He thinks he sees Mary's face as it looked the night before.
(d) He sees that her body hasn't completely burned.
3. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
(a) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
(b) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
(c) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
(d) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
4. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
(b) Kidnapping and ransom
(c) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
(d) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
5. Who is Britten?
(a) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(b) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(c) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
(d) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when one of the men discovers bone and an earring in the ashes?
2. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
3. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
4. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
5. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
2. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
3. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
4. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
5. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
6. In what ways was Bigger's capture similar to the opening of the book when Bigger chased, eventually killing the rat?
7. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
8. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
9. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
10. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)