|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
(a) That they will one day make their own laws and rules.
(b) That they will become superior to the whites and treat them like they have been treated.
(c) That one day blacks will one day be equal to whites.
(d) That someone will bring them together to make their lives better.
2. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
(b) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(c) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(d) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
3. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
(a) Candy and gum
(b) A cigarette and a roll of dollars
(c) A dollar and a pack of cigarettes
(d) Money and cigars
4. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
(a) To Bigger's shock she told him that Mary has lost her head since dating Jan Erlone.
(b) Mary probably waited for Bigger to leave then snuck out of the house again.
(c) There must have been some kind of foul play because Mary is usally very responsible.
(d) Mary probably left earlier than expected because she is usually unpredictable.
5. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
(a) "Red", with a drawing of a noose
(b) "Better Red than Dead" in red ink
(c) "Red", with a drawing of a hammer and sickle
(d) "J. Erlone", with a drawing of a noose
Short Answer Questions
1. While hidden Bigger reads a newspaper about the search for him. Why do the authorities still think Jan Erlone is the mastermind behind the entire murder and ransom?
2. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
3. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
4. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
5. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things made the Daltons begin to worry about their daughter being gone?
2. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
3. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
4. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
5. What was Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrived at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
6. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
7. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
8. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they found Mary wasn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
9. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
10. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)