|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
(a) She expresses her dislike for the people Mary travels with, and is shocked she hadn't even packed her new clothing for the trip.
(b) She complains that she took her daughter shopping for expensive clothing that she didn't even pack for her trip.
(c) She admits she isn't comfortable with Bigger living in the house and wonders if he frightened her daughter away.
(d) She expains that she does not trust the people Mary associates herself with, and suspects they have something to do with Mary not being home.
2. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(b) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
(c) All are correct.
(d) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
3. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
(a) He is afraid of the bad publicity.
(b) He's afraid his daughter is just doing this to disgrace the family.
(c) He doesn't want the police invovled because doesn't trust them.
(d) He doesn't think Jan Erlone has anything to do with it.
4. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
(a) A tall, white and silent building.
(b) A large, white building.
(c) A white, vacant, quiet building.
(d) A vacant building in the slums.
5. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
(a) Peggy watching from the top of the stairs.
(b) The white cat watching him again.
(c) He can't see anything because the light it out.
(d) The shape of Mary's body beneath the coals.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
2. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
3. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
4. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
5. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
2. How did Bigger feel about killing Bessie?
3. What was the argument Bigger had with his family as he tried to pack his things the day after Mary's death?
4. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
5. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
6. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
7. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
8. As Bigger arrived at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how was he feeling?
9. Why did Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
10. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)