|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
(a) She is greedy and wants in on the deal.
(b) He says he will give her half the money.
(c) He threatens to murder her family.
(d) He says he will leave her if she doesn't help him.
2. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
(a) He left $90 in her pocket.
(b) He didn't take back his engagement ring.
(c) He regrets she didn't see things his way.
(d) He has no regrets.
3. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
(a) He goes to his room in the Dalton house and carefully puts them in his drawer.
(b) He sits on the bed and reads them.
(c) He throws them in the trash.
(d) He burns them.
4. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
(a) But $100,000 in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(b) Have $10,000 put in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(c) Put $1,000 in a hat box that Bessie will retrieve.
(d) Put $100,000 in a hat box that he will retrieve.
5. In book two when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
(a) How his mother warned him he'll end up in the gallows if he doesn't straighten out his life.
(b) How noisy he was when he took the trunk to the car that morning.
(c) How noisy he was when he took the trunk the the basement the night before.
(d) How Mrs. Dalton nearly caught him with Mary in her bedroom the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only just wrote about him after he killed Mary?
2. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop?
3. In book two, how do the reporters decide to frame their stories?
4. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
5. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bigger's treatment when he was finally caught.
2. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
3. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
4. Although Bigger was very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
5. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
6. What things made the Daltons begin to worry about their daughter being gone?
7. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
8. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
9. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
10. What kind of power did Bigger have over Bessie that she continued to obey his direction even though she knew it was wrong?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)