|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
(a) Go the the train station and pick up Mary's trunk because no one claimed it.
(b) She tells him to take the day off because everyone is too worried about Mary to need his services that day.
(c) Go to the train station and find out what has happened to Mary's trunk.
(d) To take the trunk to the attic because the Dalton's will start worrying about Mary if they see it.
2. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
(a) The room fill with smoke so Bigger has to get a fan to blow it out the basement window.
(b) The fire is smothered and the basement fills with smoke.
(c) The fire starts to get hot again.
(d) The fire goes out and Bigger must restart it.
3. What happens when one of the men discovers bone and an earring in the ashes?
(a) Bigger slips away from the men then jumps out of a second story window into the snow.
(b) He jumps out a window and hurts his knee, so he has to walk slowly to Bessie's apartment.
(c) Bigger sneaks out of the basement door and runs to Bessie's apartment.
(d) He jumps out of a second story windown into the snow then runs to Bessie's apartment.
4. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
(a) A large, white building.
(b) A vacant building in the slums.
(c) A tall, white and silent building.
(d) A white, vacant, quiet building.
5. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(b) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
(c) That he would keep quiet for a price.
(d) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
2. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
3. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
4. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
5. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one problem Bigger feels he has to do before he will be okay?
2. What was Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
3. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happened when he remembered what he had done the night before?
4. In what ways was Bigger's capture similar to the opening of the book when Bigger chased, eventually killing the rat?
5. When did Bigger realize how quickly news was going to spread that he had killed Mary?
6. What is the Loeb and Leopold case that gave Bigger the idea to pretend Mary was kidnapped and collect a ransom?
7. Bigger was very much interested in reading about himself in the newspapers. Of what significance was this?
8. What did Bigger's brother, Buddy, have to say to him?
9. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rode the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spent a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thought would be a solution to their fear and shame.
10. In Book two, what does Bigger do at the drug store?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)