|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
(a) He sees his family as a burden compared to new possibilities created by Mary's death.
(b) He sees his family as alive compared to Mary being dead.
(c) He sees his family's poor existence compared to Mary's rich life.
(d) He sees his family as afraid as compared to Mary's confidence.
2. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
(a) "Red," with a drawing of a hammer and sickle.
(b) "Red," with a drawing of a noose.
(c) "Better Red than Dead" in red ink.
(d) "J. Erlone," with a drawing of a noose.
3. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
(a) Under the back door.
(b) Under the front door.
(c) In the Dalton mail box.
(d) On Mr. Dalton's desk in his office.
4. How does Mrs. Dalton look when she comes to Bigger's room to question him about Mary's disappearance?
(a) She's dressed in white, and she looks suspicious.
(b) She's dressed in white, and she is very pale.
(c) She's wearing a white pants suit and has her white hair tied back in a bun.
(d) She's wearing black because she knows Mary is dead.
5. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
(a) He fears she suspects something and plans on how he will kill her if she discovers anything about Mary.
(b) He tells Peggy he will check the furnace later.
(c) He hurries down the stairs to shake the ashes.
(d) He tells Peggy the furnace is fine, but he will check it anyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
2. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
3. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
4. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
5. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)