|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary and Jan enter the restaurant?
(a) Gus and Bessie Mears
(b) Jack and G.H.
(c) Jack and Bessie Mears
(d) Gus, Jack and G.H.
2. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
(c) New York City
3. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
(a) G.L.'s brother
(b) Mr. Dalton
(d) Jack's father
4. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
(a) In a condo on the river
(b) A shack along the waterfront
(c) An apartment in the "Black Belt"
(d) In the basement of an abandoned building
5. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
(a) Get them a better place to live.
(b) Go to Blum's Delicatessin to get dinner.
(c) Go to the supermarket for rat poison.
(d) Get a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
2. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
3. Where does Bigger say white people live?
4. What is the on-going plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
5. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
2. Why does Bigger need to get a job?
3. What is the symbolism of the two movies Bigger and his friends saw?
4. Describe Bigger's home.
5. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
6. How does Bigger feel about his family?
7. Why did Bigger help Mary to her room instead of waking her parents and letting them know her drunken condition?
8. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
9. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death, and what did he do with it?
10. What was the story Bigger planned to tell when he returned in the morning?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)