|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He stuffs the corner of her blanket in her mouth.
(c) He puts a pillow over her face.
(d) He puts his hand over her mouth.
2. Where does Bigger say white people live?
(a) On the south side of Chicago
(b) In the ghetto
(c) Inside him and all other black people
(d) Inside fancy mansions
3. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
(a) In the basement of an abandoned building
(b) In a condo on the river
(c) An apartment in the "Black Belt"
(d) A shack along the waterfront
4. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
(a) She is blind and uses words he doesn't understand.
(b) She is an attractive woman with a good education.
(c) She is afraid to speak up to her husband and seems afraid of him.
(d) She is blind and much younger than her husband.
5. What is the on-going plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
(a) Robbing a liquior store
(b) Robbing Blum's Delicatessin
(c) Taking classes at the YMCA
(d) Going to college
Short Answer Questions
1. What Bigger and his friends call the game they play?
2. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
3. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
4. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
5. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
2. After all the gory details of the way he disposed of Mary's body, how was Bigger reacting?
3. What was the story Bigger planned to tell when he returned in the morning?
4. Why does Bigger panic when Mrs. Dalton enters Mary's room while he is in there?
5. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
6. What is the symbolism of the two movies Bigger and his friends saw?
7. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
8. Describe Bigger's home.
9. Why does Bigger seem to take an instant dislike to Mary Dalton?
10. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)