|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
(a) Bigger's mom
(b) G. H.
2. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
(a) Jan Erlone
(b) Bessie Mears
3. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He was in there when he helped her into bed, but she was okay when he left her.
(b) He wasn't taking a chance, he wiped everything clean of his fingerprints.
(c) He was going to make a point of telling everyone in the morning that Mary wanted him to get her luggage, then he'll tell everyone she's not in her room.
(d) He was in there to take her luggage to the station for her trip to Detroit.
4. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) A rabid cat
(b) Their landlord
(c) A rat
(d) A gunman
5. Where does Bigger have a job interview?
(a) At the Dalton's
(b) At the supermarket
(c) At Blum's Delicatessin
(d) At YMCA
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
2. After winning the battle with "the beast" what does Bigger do?
3. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
4. Bigger and Jack stay for the second movie. What is it about?
5. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
2. Why does Bigger panic when Mrs. Dalton enters Mary's room while he is in there?
3. What does it mean about Bigger "Feeling his blackness," even more after Mary Dalton and Jan Erlone's attempts at being friendly?
4. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
5. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
6. Why did Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
7. Why do the Dalton's make Bigger feel so uncomfortable?
8. How does Bigger feel about his family?
9. Describe Bigger's home.
10. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death, and what did he do with it?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)