|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
(b) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
(c) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
(d) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
2. What does Bigger do after he puts Mary to bed?
(a) He kisses her
(b) He leaves her alone
(c) He puts her into her nightgown
(d) He covers her
3. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) The gallows
(b) In foster care
(c) In jail
(d) Living on the street
4. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning the secret to "Getting hold of money."
(b) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(c) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(d) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
5. Where do Mary and Jan sit in the car?
(a) In the back seat.
(b) The sit in the front and ask Bigger to sit in the back.
(c) The don't, they walk.
(d) In the front seat with Bigger.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
2. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
3. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
4. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
5. Bigger and Jack stay for the second movie. What is it about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bigger really feel about holding up Blum's Delicatessen?
2. Why does Bigger panic when Mrs. Dalton enters Mary's room while he is in there?
3. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death, and what did he do with it?
4. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
5. Why do the Dalton's make Bigger feel so uncomfortable?
6. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
7. How does Bigger feel about his family?
8. What is the symbolism of the two movies Bigger and his friends saw?
9. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
10. Why did Bigger help Mary to her room instead of waking her parents and letting them know her drunken condition?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)