Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
(d) Lost Soul.
2. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
(a) Mr. Dalton.
(b) G.L.'s brother.
(d) Jack's father.
3. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
(a) Sink the trunk and the body in the river.
(b) Burn it in the furnace.
(c) Ship it in the trunk to Jan.
(d) Put it in a dumpster near the train station.
4. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She is too drunk to walk.
(b) She is very sick.
(c) She wants to go right to Detroit.
(d) She doesn't want to go home.
5. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He is black and she is white.
(b) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous.
(c) He doesn't want to lose his job.
(d) He isn't afraid of anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
2. As Bigger is leaving the Dalton home after Mary's death, what does he find near the Dalton's car?
3. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
4. The story is set in what decade?
5. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bessie's reaction when Bigger arrives at her apartment the morning after the murder of Mary?
2. As Bigger arrives at the Dalton home on the morning after Mary's murder how is he feeling?
3. What is the Leopold and Loeb case that gives Bigger the idea to collect a ransom by pretending Mary was kidnapped?
4. Describe Bigger's home.
5. What is Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
6. What deterred the Daltons from being excessively concerned when they find Mary isn't in the house the morning after she was murdered?
7. When does Bigger finally break his silence and fast?
8. The morning after Mary's killing, as Bigger rides the street car on his way back to the Dalton house, he spends a lot of time reflecting on the plight of black people. Explain what Bigger thinks would be a solution to their fear and shame.
9. During his final conversation with Bigger, what was most frustrating for Max?
10. Why is Bigger so upset when Max is uncertain of what Bigger meant when he spoke of the things he had told Max "that night?"
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)