|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary and Jan enter the restaurant?
(a) Gus and Bessie Mears
(b) Gus, Jack and G.H.
(c) Jack and Bessie Mears
(d) Jack and G.H.
2. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
(b) Lost Soul
3. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
(a) It doesn't fit so he sits on the lid until he can close it.
(b) It doesn't fit so he rolls her in a carpet.
(c) It doesn't fit so he has to cut her limbs off.
(d) It doesn't fit so he has to force it inside.
4. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary and Jan do as they drive around the park?
(a) Drink beer, rum and talk about communism.
(b) Get drunk and read pamphlets
(c) Drink until they all pass out.
(d) Talk about Mary's upcoming trip.
5. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
(a) Learning to swim
(b) Meeting her boyfriend
(c) Taking sewing lessons
(d) Teaching a class
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger say white people live?
2. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
3. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
4. Who answers the door when Bigger finally knocks on the door of the Dalton house?
5. How many bedrooms does the Thomas family share?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bigger's home.
2. Why does Bigger seem to take an instant dislike to Mary Dalton?
3. Explain the game, "White," that Bigger and his friends played.
4. Why did Bigger help Mary to her room instead of waking her parents and letting them know her drunken condition?
5. Why does Bigger need to get a job?
6. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
7. After all the gory details of the way he disposed of Mary's body, how was Bigger reacting?
8. Why do the Dalton's make Bigger feel so uncomfortable?
9. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
10. What does it mean about Bigger "Feeling his blackness," even more after Mary Dalton and Jan Erlone's attempts at being friendly?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)