|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The story is set in what decade?
2. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
(a) G. H.
(c) Bigger's mom
3. Where does Bigger say white people live?
(a) In the ghetto
(b) Inside fancy mansions
(c) Inside him and all other black people
(d) On the south side of Chicago
4. What does Bigger tell his friend Gus he could do if he had the chance?
(a) Earn a lot of money
(b) Rob a bank
(c) Fly a plane
(d) Drive a car
5. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) Living on the street
(b) In jail
(c) In foster care
(d) The gallows
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
2. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
3. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
4. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
5. Who answers the door when Bigger finally knocks on the door of the Dalton house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
2. Why does Bigger seem to take an instant dislike to Mary Dalton?
3. What does it mean about Bigger "Feeling his blackness," even more after Mary Dalton and Jan Erlone's attempts at being friendly?
4. Explain the game, "White," that Bigger and his friends played.
5. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
6. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death, and what did he do with it?
7. Why does Bigger panic when Mrs. Dalton enters Mary's room while he is in there?
8. Why did Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
9. How does Bigger feel about his family?
10. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)