|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Bigger is leaving the Dalton home after Mary's death, what does he find near the Dalton's car?
(a) Mary's expensive necklace
(b) A bottle of rum
(c) The pamphlets Jan gave him
(d) Mary's purse
2. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall then stabs Gus.
(b) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
(c) Gets in a fight with Gus then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
(d) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessin.
3. The story is set in what decade?
4. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
(d) Lost Soul
5. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
(a) He's concerned he won't be able to do the job.
(b) Whether he should go to the front door or the back.
(c) He's worried they will dislike him because he is black.
(d) Whether he should be dressed in nicer clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
2. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
3. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
4. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
5. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
2. What does it mean about Bigger "Feeling his blackness," even more after Mary Dalton and Jan Erlone's attempts at being friendly?
3. Why did Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
4. Why does Bigger seem to take an instant dislike to Mary Dalton?
5. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
6. Why does Bigger panic when Mrs. Dalton enters Mary's room while he is in there?
7. Why does Bigger need to get a job?
8. How does Bigger really feel about holding up Blum's Delicatessen?
9. How does Bigger feel about his family?
10. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)