|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous
(b) He is black and she is white
(c) He isn't afraid of anything
(d) He doesn't want to lose his job
2. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
(b) Bigger's mom
(c) G. H.
3. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
(a) Whether he should go to the front door or the back.
(b) Whether he should be dressed in nicer clothing.
(c) He's worried they will dislike him because he is black.
(d) He's concerned he won't be able to do the job.
4. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
5. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(b) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(c) Learning the secret to "Getting hold of money."
(d) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
Short Answer Questions
1. The story is set in what decade?
2. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
3. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
4. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
5. What is the theme of the movie Bigger and Jack go to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
2. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
3. Why did Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
4. How does Bigger feel about his family?
5. Why does Bigger seem to take an instant dislike to Mary Dalton?
6. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death, and what did he do with it?
7. Why did Bigger help Mary to her room instead of waking her parents and letting them know her drunken condition?
8. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
9. Describe Bigger's home.
10. What does it mean about Bigger "Feeling his blackness," even more after Mary Dalton and Jan Erlone's attempts at being friendly?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)