|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
(a) She thinks her daugher is asleep.
(b) She is afraid of Bigger.
(c) She goes to get her husband.
(d) She smells liquor and thinks her daughter is passed out.
2. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) A rat
(b) A rabid cat
(c) Their landlord
(d) A gunman
3. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
(a) He puts a pillow over her face.
(b) He stuffs the corner of her blanket in her mouth.
(c) He puts his hand over her mouth.
(d) He kisses her.
4. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
(a) Get a job.
(b) Get them a better place to live.
(c) Go to the supermarket for rat poison.
(d) Go to Blum's Delicatessin to get dinner.
5. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
(a) He takes Mary's necklace to a pawn shop then goes home with the money.
(b) He steals money from Mary's purse then goes home to sleep.
(c) He finishes the bottle of rum then goes home to sleep.
(d) He takes the pamphlets Jan gave him and plants them in Mary's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
2. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
3. What Bigger and his friends call the game they play?
4. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
5. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the game, "White," that Bigger and his friends played.
2. How does Bigger really feel about holding up Blum's Delicatessen?
3. Why did Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
4. Why does Bigger seem to take an instant dislike to Mary Dalton?
5. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
6. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
7. Describe Bigger's home.
8. What was the story Bigger planned to tell when he returned in the morning?
9. After all the gory details of the way he disposed of Mary's body, how was Bigger reacting?
10. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)