|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
(a) She is blind and much younger than her husband.
(b) She is afraid to speak up to her husband and seems afraid of him.
(c) She is an attractive woman with a good education.
(d) She is blind and uses words he doesn't understand.
2. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
(a) Taking sewing lessons
(b) Learning to swim
(c) Teaching a class
(d) Meeting her boyfriend
3. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
(b) Learning the secret to "Getting hold of money."
(c) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(d) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
4. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
(a) It doesn't fit so he has to cut her limbs off.
(b) It doesn't fit so he sits on the lid until he can close it.
(c) It doesn't fit so he has to force it inside.
(d) It doesn't fit so he rolls her in a carpet.
5. How many members are in the Thomas family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Tell whom the lone witness to Bigger's crime is?
2. Where does Bigger say white people live?
3. How does Bigger feel about Mary Dalton?
4. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
5. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
2. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death, and what did he do with it?
3. Explain the game, "White," that Bigger and his friends played.
4. Describe Bigger's home.
5. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
6. Why does Bigger need to get a job?
7. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
8. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
9. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
10. After all the gory details of the way he disposed of Mary's body, how was Bigger reacting?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)