|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning the secret to "getting hold of money."
(b) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
(c) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(d) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
2. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) Living on the street.
(b) The gallows.
(c) In jail.
(d) In foster care.
3. What is the theme of the movie Bigger and Jack go to see?
(a) That blacks can also be rich.
(b) That white people will suffer in the depression.
(c) The lifestyle of rich, white people.
(d) That whites are all communists.
4. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
(a) Mr. Dalton.
(c) Jack's father.
(d) G.L.'s brother.
5. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
(a) Because he is in a gang.
(b) Because he doesn't like her family.
(c) Because he has a prison record.
(d) Because he does not want to continue his education.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Dalton speaks to Bigger in the kitchen, what surprises him about her?
2. Who answers the door when Bigger finally knocks on the door of the Dalton house?
3. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary, and Jan do as they drive around the park?
4. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
5. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Bigger is very quick with his deceit and able to think on his feet, so to speak, in what way was he becoming his own worst enemy?
2. Why does Bigger want to kill the cat?
3. When Max finally gets Bigger to share the things he had once wanted to do with his life, what does Max learn?
4. When Bigger awoke in the morning after Mary's death, what happens when he remembers what he had done the night before?
5. What makes Bigger decide not to withdraw into his trance-like state again?
6. When does Bigger finally break his silence and fast?
7. Bigger says he has no hope. If that is so, explain why he is always so angry.
8. What made the Daltons begin to worry about their daughter being gone?
9. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death and what did he do with it?
10. Why does Bigger help Mary to her room instead of waking her parents and letting them know her drunken condition?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)