|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
(b) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
(c) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(d) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
2. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) In foster care.
(b) In jail.
(c) The gallows.
(d) Living on the street.
3. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) Their landlord.
(b) A rabid cat.
(c) A rat.
(d) A gunman.
4. After winning the battle with "the beast" what does Bigger do?
(a) He hides the remains.
(b) He frightens his sister, Vera, with the body.
(c) He shows his mother his prize.
(d) He sits down to eat dinner.
5. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
(a) Pessimistic and angry.
(b) Angry and joking.
(c) Helpless and strong.
(d) Hopeless and fun-loving.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
2. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
3. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
4. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary, and Jan do as they drive around the park?
5. Where do Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bigger determined to never feel anything like hope again?
2. How does Bigger really feel about holding up Blum's Delicatessen?
3. When Max finally gets Bigger to share the things he had once wanted to do with his life, what does Max learn?
4. How does Bigger feel when Bessie's body is brought into the courtroom as evidence?
5. Why does Bigger decide to try to blame Jan and the Communist Party for the kidnapping?
6. What is the Leopold and Loeb case that gives Bigger the idea to collect a ransom by pretending Mary was kidnapped?
7. What is the one thing plaguing Bigger after he kills Mary? It is something that feels he has to do before he will be okay.
8. What is the symbolism of the burning cross and the cross Bigger was wearing?
9. What kind of control does Bigger have over himself during the first days after his capture?
10. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)