|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
(a) Learning to swim
(b) Teaching a class
(c) Taking sewing lessons
(d) Meeting her boyfriend
2. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
(a) Jan Erlone
(c) Bessie Mears
3. Bigger and Jack stay for the second movie. What is it about?
(a) Native African's hunting in the jungle
(b) Multi-cultural dances
(c) Naked native Africans dancing to drums.
(d) Black Americans
4. What is the on-going plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
(a) Taking classes at the YMCA
(b) Robbing Blum's Delicatessin
(c) Going to college
(d) Robbing a liquior store
5. Tell whom the lone witness to Bigger's crime is?
(a) The Dalton's white cat.
(b) Peggy the housekeeper
(c) A neighbor peeking out their window
(d) Mrs. Dalton
Short Answer Questions
1. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
2. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
3. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
4. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
5. Where does Bigger say white people live?
Short Essay Questions
1. After all the gory details of the way he disposed of Mary's body, how was Bigger reacting?
2. How does Bigger really feel about holding up Blum's Delicatessen?
3. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
4. What was the story Bigger planned to tell when he returned in the morning?
5. Why does Bigger panic when Mrs. Dalton enters Mary's room while he is in there?
6. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
7. Why do the Dalton's make Bigger feel so uncomfortable?
8. How does Bigger feel about his family?
9. Why did Bigger help Mary to her room instead of waking her parents and letting them know her drunken condition?
10. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)