|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
(b) Learning the secret to "getting hold of money."
(c) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(d) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
2. What is the ongoing plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
(a) Taking classes at the YMCA.
(b) Robbing a liquor store.
(c) Robbing Blum's Delicatessen.
(d) Going to college.
3. What does Mr. Dalton's company own?
(a) A construction company.
(b) The oldest bank in the city.
(c) A limo service.
(d) The home in the ghetto where Bigger lives.
4. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
(a) He finishes the bottle of rum then goes home to sleep.
(b) He takes Mary's necklace to a pawn shop then goes home with the money.
(c) He steals money from Mary's purse then goes home to sleep.
(d) He takes the pamphlets Jan gave him and plants them in Mary's room.
5. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
(a) She doesn't ask him to pick up anyone.
(b) Her friend, Joan Erlone.
(c) Her professor, Mr. Erlone.
(d) Her boyfriend, Jan Erlone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of relationship does Bigger have with Gus?
2. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
3. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
4. Where do Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
5. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Bigger realizes Mary was dead, why doesn't he even consider just telling the truth?
2. Why is Bigger also charged with the rape of Mary?
3. Why is Bigger determined to never feel anything like hope again?
4. Describe Bigger's treatment when he is finally caught.
5. When does Bigger finally break his silence and fast?
6. Describe Bigger's home.
7. When do Bigger and Max realize Bigger's fate is death?
8. Why does Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
9. Why does Bigger need to get a job?
10. How does Bigger feel when Bessie's body is brought into the courtroom as evidence?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)