|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(b) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
(c) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
(d) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
2. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
(a) A shack along the waterfront
(b) In a condo on the river
(c) In the basement of an abandoned building
(d) An apartment in the "Black Belt"
3. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He stuffs the corner of her blanket in her mouth.
(c) He puts his hand over her mouth.
(d) He puts a pillow over her face.
4. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He is black and she is white
(b) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous
(c) He doesn't want to lose his job
(d) He isn't afraid of anything
5. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To catch a bus
(b) Home to her house
(c) To catch the train
(d) To Mary's house
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
2. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
3. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
4. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
5. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
2. What was the story Bigger planned to tell when he returned in the morning?
3. Why did Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
4. What does it mean about Bigger "Feeling his blackness," even more after Mary Dalton and Jan Erlone's attempts at being friendly?
5. Why does Bigger need to get a job?
6. How does Bigger really feel about holding up Blum's Delicatessen?
7. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
8. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
9. Explain the game, "White," that Bigger and his friends played.
10. Why do the Dalton's make Bigger feel so uncomfortable?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)