|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
(a) Teaching a class
(b) Meeting her boyfriend
(c) Learning to swim
(d) Taking sewing lessons
2. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(b) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
(c) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
(d) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
3. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
(a) Whether he should be dressed in nicer clothing.
(b) He's concerned he won't be able to do the job.
(c) Whether he should go to the front door or the back.
(d) He's worried they will dislike him because he is black.
4. Where do Mary and Jan sit in the car?
(a) In the back seat.
(b) The don't, they walk.
(c) The sit in the front and ask Bigger to sit in the back.
(d) In the front seat with Bigger.
5. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
(a) He drags her
(b) He carries her
(c) He gets her parents to help
(d) He gets Peggy to help
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
2. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary and Jan do as they drive around the park?
3. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
4. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
5. What doe Bigger and Jack think being "Red" is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bigger need to get a job?
2. What were Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
3. What does it mean about Bigger "Feeling his blackness," even more after Mary Dalton and Jan Erlone's attempts at being friendly?
4. What did he find outside near the car on the night of Mary's death, and what did he do with it?
5. How does Bigger really feel about holding up Blum's Delicatessen?
6. What happened when Mary's body didn't fit into the furnace?
7. Why do the Dalton's make Bigger feel so uncomfortable?
8. What was the story Bigger planned to tell when he returned in the morning?
9. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
10. Why does Bigger seem to take an instant dislike to Mary Dalton?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)