|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
(a) Into the basement
(b) To a dumpster
(c) Out to the car
(d) Into the garage
2. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He was in there when he helped her into bed, but she was okay when he left her.
(b) He wasn't taking a chance, he wiped everything clean of his fingerprints.
(c) He was in there to take her luggage to the station for her trip to Detroit.
(d) He was going to make a point of telling everyone in the morning that Mary wanted him to get her luggage, then he'll tell everyone she's not in her room.
3. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
(a) She goes to get her husband.
(b) She smells liquor and thinks her daughter is passed out.
(c) She is afraid of Bigger.
(d) She thinks her daugher is asleep.
4. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
(b) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
(c) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
(d) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
5. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) In foster care
(b) The gallows
(c) Living on the street
(d) In jail
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
2. What doe Bigger and Jack think being "Red" is?
3. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
4. What kind of relationship does Bigger have with Gus?
5. Where do Mary and Jan sit in the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bigger seem to take an instant dislike to Mary Dalton?
2. Why does Bigger get so angry and violent with Gus when he says he'll go along with the robbery?
3. Describe Bigger's home.
4. Why did Bigger want to kill the cat?
5. Why did Bigger help Mary to her room instead of waking her parents and letting them know her drunken condition?
6. After Bigger realized Mary was dead, why didn't he even consider just telling the truth?
7. Explain the game, "White," that Bigger and his friends played.
8. Why does Bigger panic when Mrs. Dalton enters Mary's room while he is in there?
9. How does Bigger really feel about holding up Blum's Delicatessen?
10. What was the story Bigger planned to tell when he returned in the morning?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)