|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
(a) That Mary had a heart attack.
(b) That he is a very lucky young man.
(c) That Mary wanted him to kiss her.
(d) That he killed Mary by smothering her.
2. Who answers the door when Bigger finally knocks on the door of the Dalton house?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) Mary Dalton.
(c) Mr. Dalton.
(d) The butler.
3. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
(d) Lost Soul.
4. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
(c) Bigger's mom.
5. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
(b) Mr. Dalton.
(c) Jack's father.
(d) G.L.'s brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
2. What is the ongoing plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
3. The story is set in what decade?
4. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
5. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bigger say that white people kill blacks before they die?
2. Why does Bigger decide to put Mary's body in the trunk?
3. Why does Bigger panic when Mrs. Dalton enters Mary's room while he is in there?
4. What makes Bigger decide not to withdraw into his trance-like state again?
5. What is Bigger's fatal mistake in his plan to dispose of Mary's body?
6. What are Bigger's two final concerns about the burning body?
7. Why does Bigger want to kill the cat?
8. When Max finally gets Bigger to share the things he had once wanted to do with his life, what does Max learn?
9. What happens when Mary's body doesn't fit into the furnace?
10. Why is Bigger also charged with the rape of Mary?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)