|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
(a) That someone will bring them together to make their lives better.
(b) That one day blacks will one day be equal to whites.
(c) That they will one day make their own laws and rules.
(d) That they will become superior to the whites and treat them like they have been treated.
2. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
(a) That Bigger is the person responsible for Mary's disappearance.
(b) That Mr. Dalton and Britten are making Bigger lie.
(c) That Mr. Dalton, Britten and Bigger just hate communists.
(d) That they are all crazy and should be looking for Mary instead of questioning him.
3. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
(a) He steals a loaf of bread then hides in an alley to eat it.
(b) He buys a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(c) He hides with a group of homeless people living near the river.
(d) He steals a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
4. Where does Bigger first go after leaving his home the morning after Mary's murder?
(b) The Dalton's home
(c) The pool hall
(d) Bessie's apartment
5. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
(a) "Better Red than Dead" in red ink
(b) "Red", with a drawing of a hammer and sickle
(c) "J. Erlone", with a drawing of a noose
(d) "Red", with a drawing of a noose
6. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
(a) About where he took Mary the night before.
(b) About where the car was parked, the trunk and Jan Erlone.
(c) About Mary leaving her new clothing behind.
(d) About Jan Erlone's involvement with the communists.
7. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
(a) That the "gentleman", Jan Erlone, was planning on spending the night and he was going to go with Mary to the train in the morning.
(b) That he has no idea what could have happened since Mary was fine when he left her.
(c) That the car is in the driveway because "the gentleman", Jan, was going to drive himself home the night before.
(d) He confesses that Mary had been drunk the night before and that "the gentleman", Jan Erlone, insisted on driving her home, but dropped Bigger at his home first.
8. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(b) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
(c) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
(d) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
9. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
(a) The fire is smothered and the basement fills with smoke.
(b) The fire goes out and Bigger must restart it.
(c) The room fill with smoke so Bigger has to get a fan to blow it out the basement window.
(d) The fire starts to get hot again.
10. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
(b) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(c) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(d) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
11. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
(a) That Mary's body didn't fit in the furnace. He hated all the blood when he cut off her head.
(b) That he hadn't planned the murder so he could have gotten more money and felt more successful.
(c) That he had to work.
(d) That he ever got mixed up with the Dalton's in the first place.
12. Who is Britten?
(a) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(b) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(c) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(d) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
13. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
(a) Bigger pulls a gun on Jan Erlone.
(b) Jan Erlone runs away when he sees Bigger has a knife.
(c) Bigger tells Jan Erlone he doesn't need his help.
(d) Bigger runs away.
14. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
(a) He wishes he could be with his mother.
(b) He hums along, but feeling to peace he gets angry.
(c) He hates the music and can't wait to find another apartment.
(d) He half wishes he was a believer like his mother, but doesn't want to give up his sense of self.
15. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
(a) He smashes her head with a brick then runs away.
(b) He rapes her then after she falls alseep kills her with a brick then throws her body down an air shaft.
(c) He sleeps then awakens realizing he must kill Bessie.
(d) He rapes her then cuts off her head like he did Mary's and throws her body down an air shaft.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bigger returns to the basement to shake down the ashes, what stops him?
2. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
3. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
4. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
5. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)