|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
(a) He doesn't know the ashes need to be removed.
(b) Fear and dread
(c) He is afraid of burning himself.
(d) He wants to make sure Mary's body is completely burned.
2. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
(a) Bigger tells Jan Erlone he doesn't need his help.
(b) Bigger runs away.
(c) Bigger pulls a gun on Jan Erlone.
(d) Jan Erlone runs away when he sees Bigger has a knife.
3. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
(a) A fire escape
(b) He climbs a water tower
(c) A roof top
(d) He climbs into an apartment window
4. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
(a) He loads her trunk, waits by the car, rings the bell, then asks Peggy what he should do since Mary has not come down.
(b) He eats his breakfast then asks Peggy to go upstairs and find out what is taking Mary so long.
(c) He eats breakfast with the Daltons as though nothing unusual has happened.
(d) He asks Mrs. Dalton what time Mary's train is supposed to leave, because he doesn't want them to be late.
5. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
(b) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
(c) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(d) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
6. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
(a) Go to the train station and find out what has happened to Mary's trunk.
(b) To take the trunk to the attic because the Dalton's will start worrying about Mary if they see it.
(c) She tells him to take the day off because everyone is too worried about Mary to need his services that day.
(d) Go the the train station and pick up Mary's trunk because no one claimed it.
7. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
(a) He hurries down the stairs to shake the ashes.
(b) He tells Peggy he will check the furnace later.
(c) He tells Peggy the furnace is fine, but he will check it anyway.
(d) He fears she suspects something and plans on how he will kill her if she discovers anything about Mary.
8. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
(a) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
(b) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
(c) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
(d) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
9. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
(a) She expains that she does not trust the people Mary associates herself with, and suspects they have something to do with Mary not being home.
(b) She complains that she took her daughter shopping for expensive clothing that she didn't even pack for her trip.
(c) She admits she isn't comfortable with Bigger living in the house and wonders if he frightened her daughter away.
(d) She expresses her dislike for the people Mary travels with, and is shocked she hadn't even packed her new clothing for the trip.
10. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(b) All are correct.
(c) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
(d) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
11. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only just wrote about him after he killed Mary?
(a) He is thrilled the newspaper is writing about him and thinks about killing again for more attention.
(b) Becaue he has felt the same anger and hatred inside him his entire life and no one ever wrote about it before.
(c) He is unhappy because the story isn't accurate.
(d) Because he didn't like the attention that could result in his being caught.
12. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
(b) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(c) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
(d) That he would keep quiet for a price.
13. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
(a) Bigger shootes him.
(b) Bigger throws snowballs at him.
(c) Bigger knocks him unconscious.
(d) Bigger runs away.
14. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
(a) He tries to sneak out of the house unnoticed.
(b) He sees his brother, Buddy, staring at him suspiciously.
(c) He remembers everything he did the night before.
(d) He doesn't think about what happened the night before.
15. Who is Britten?
(a) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(b) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(c) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(d) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
Short Answer Questions
1. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
2. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
3. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
4. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
5. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)