|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
(a) An officer wrestles with him and wins.
(b) They use a water hose to soak him.
(c) They don't, he gets away one more time.
(d) They shoot him in the leg.
2. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
(a) In the Dalton mail box.
(b) On Mr. Dalton's desk in his office.
(c) Under the front door.
(d) Under the back door.
3. How is the building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
(a) A tall, white, and silent building.
(b) A large, white building.
(c) A vacant building in the slums.
(d) A white, vacant, quiet building.
4. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
(b) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(c) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
(d) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
5. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street, offers to help him, and then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
(a) Bigger tells Jan Erlone he doesn't need his help.
(b) Bigger pulls a gun on Jan Erlone.
(c) Bigger runs away.
(d) Jan Erlone runs away when he sees Bigger has a knife.
6. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
(a) Put $1,000 in a hat box that Bessie will retrieve.
(b) Put $100,000 in a hat box that he will retrieve.
(c) Have $10,000 put in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(d) But $100,000 in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
7. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
8. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
(a) He sleeps, then awakens realizing he must kill Bessie.
(b) He rapes her then after she falls asleep, kills her with a brick, then throws her body down an air shaft.
(c) He rapes her then cuts off her head like he did Mary's and throws her body down an air shaft.
(d) He smashes her head with a brick, then runs away.
9. In Book 2 Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
(b) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
(c) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloody head wrapped in paper.
(d) All are correct.
10. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
(b) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(c) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
(d) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
11. When Bigger nearly falls off the ledge, how does the writer describe what he would fall into if he had fallen?
(a) "The waiting arms of the police."
(b) "An ocean of cheers from the spectators below."
(c) "An ocean of boiling hate."
(d) "A boiling pot of hatred."
12. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop of the building where he is hiding?
(a) Shooting himself.
(b) Jumping to his death.
(c) Trying to jump to the next building.
(d) Trying to look for a fire escape.
13. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) Kidnapping and ransom.
(b) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb.
(c) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice.
(d) That he and Bessie should go out on the town.
14. While hidden, Bigger reads a newspaper about the search for him. Why do the authorities still think Jan Erlone is the mastermind behind the entire murder and ransom?
(a) Because coming up with such a detailed plan would be beyond the Negro mind.
(b) Because Jan Erlone is a communist and they hate communists.
(c) Because Jan Erlone refused to be released and has signed a confession.
(d) Because Mr. Dalton really liked Bigger and wanted to help him.
15. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
(a) He hides with a group of homeless people living near the river.
(b) He steals a loaf of bread then hides in an alley to eat it.
(c) He buys a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(d) He steals a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
2. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
3. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
4. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
5. What happens when one the men helping in the search for Mary discovers bone and an earring in the ashes that were removed from the furnace?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)