|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
2. How does Mrs. Dalton look when she comes to Bigger's room to question him about Mary's disappearance?
(a) She's dressed in white and she is very pale.
(b) She's wearing black because she knows Mary is dead.
(c) She's dressed in white and she looks suspicious.
(d) She's wearing a white pants suit and has her white hair tied back in a bun.
3. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
(b) Kidnapping and ransom
(c) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
(d) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
4. When Bigger nearly falls off the ledge, how does the writer describe what he would fall into if he had fallen?
(a) "A boiling pot of hatred."
(b) "An ocean of boiling hate."
(c) "The waiting arms of the police."
(d) "An ocean of cheers from the spectators below."
5. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
(a) He remembers everything he did the night before.
(b) He doesn't think about what happened the night before.
(c) He tries to sneak out of the house unnoticed.
(d) He sees his brother, Buddy, staring at him suspiciously.
6. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(b) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
(c) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
(d) That he would keep quiet for a price.
7. In book two, how do the reporters decide to frame their stories?
(a) That the communists have plotted the kidnapping and are blaming it on Bigger.
(b) That the communists and the negros are working together to get the ransom.
(c) That negros are becomming more involved with communisim.
(d) That the negros want to be left alone and the communists forcing their beliefs on them.
8. Who is Britten?
(a) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(b) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(c) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
(d) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
9. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
(a) He left $90 in her pocket.
(b) He didn't take back his engagement ring.
(c) He has no regrets.
(d) He regrets she didn't see things his way.
10. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
(a) She complains that she took her daughter shopping for expensive clothing that she didn't even pack for her trip.
(b) She expresses her dislike for the people Mary travels with, and is shocked she hadn't even packed her new clothing for the trip.
(c) She admits she isn't comfortable with Bigger living in the house and wonders if he frightened her daughter away.
(d) She expains that she does not trust the people Mary associates herself with, and suspects they have something to do with Mary not being home.
11. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Dalton and Peggy.
(b) The police.
(c) Mr. Dalton and a group of white men.
(d) Mrs. Dalton and a white private investigator.
12. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
(b) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(c) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
(d) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
13. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
(a) He hides with a group of homeless people living near the river.
(b) He steals a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(c) He buys a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(d) He steals a loaf of bread then hides in an alley to eat it.
14. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
(a) He eats breakfast with the Daltons as though nothing unusual has happened.
(b) He loads her trunk, waits by the car, rings the bell, then asks Peggy what he should do since Mary has not come down.
(c) He eats his breakfast then asks Peggy to go upstairs and find out what is taking Mary so long.
(d) He asks Mrs. Dalton what time Mary's train is supposed to leave, because he doesn't want them to be late.
15. What happens when Bigger arrives at Bessie's apartment and he tries to kiss her?
(a) She tells him if he doesn't marry her it means he is ashamed of her.
(b) She isn't interested because he ignored her at the diner.
(c) She argues with him about not being home when she tried to visit him the night before.
(d) She tells him that since he now has a job he can marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
2. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
3. What happens when one of the men discovers bone and an earring in the ashes?
4. How many people are searching for Bigger?
5. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)