|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop?
(a) Trying to jump to the next building.
(b) Jumping to his death.
(c) Trying to look for a fire escape.
(d) Shooting himself.
2. What happens when one of the men discovers bone and an earring in the ashes?
(a) Bigger slips away from the men then jumps out of a second story window into the snow.
(b) He jumps out of a second story windown into the snow then runs to Bessie's apartment.
(c) Bigger sneaks out of the basement door and runs to Bessie's apartment.
(d) He jumps out a window and hurts his knee, so he has to walk slowly to Bessie's apartment.
3. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
(b) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
(c) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(d) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
4. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
(a) He buys a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(b) He steals a loaf of bread then hides in an alley to eat it.
(c) He steals a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(d) He hides with a group of homeless people living near the river.
5. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
(a) The police.
(b) Mr. Dalton and a group of white men.
(c) Mrs. Dalton and a white private investigator.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dalton and Peggy.
6. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
(a) He half wishes he was a believer like his mother, but doesn't want to give up his sense of self.
(b) He hums along, but feeling to peace he gets angry.
(c) He wishes he could be with his mother.
(d) He hates the music and can't wait to find another apartment.
7. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
(a) He eats breakfast with the Daltons as though nothing unusual has happened.
(b) He loads her trunk, waits by the car, rings the bell, then asks Peggy what he should do since Mary has not come down.
(c) He eats his breakfast then asks Peggy to go upstairs and find out what is taking Mary so long.
(d) He asks Mrs. Dalton what time Mary's train is supposed to leave, because he doesn't want them to be late.
8. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
(a) He threatens to murder her family.
(b) He says he will give her half the money.
(c) He says he will leave her if she doesn't help him.
(d) She is greedy and wants in on the deal.
9. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
(a) Jan Erlone runs away when he sees Bigger has a knife.
(b) Bigger tells Jan Erlone he doesn't need his help.
(c) Bigger pulls a gun on Jan Erlone.
(d) Bigger runs away.
10. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
(a) That he killed a rich, white girl.
(b) That he was lucky to have a good job.
(c) That he knew something they didn't know.
(d) That he was in love with a beautiful girl.
11. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
(a) He fears she suspects something and plans on how he will kill her if she discovers anything about Mary.
(b) He tells Peggy he will check the furnace later.
(c) He tells Peggy the furnace is fine, but he will check it anyway.
(d) He hurries down the stairs to shake the ashes.
12. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
(a) That he hadn't planned the murder so he could have gotten more money and felt more successful.
(b) That he ever got mixed up with the Dalton's in the first place.
(c) That Mary's body didn't fit in the furnace. He hated all the blood when he cut off her head.
(d) That he had to work.
13. Who is Britten?
(a) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(b) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(c) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
(d) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
14. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
(a) That someone will bring them together to make their lives better.
(b) That they will one day make their own laws and rules.
(c) That they will become superior to the whites and treat them like they have been treated.
(d) That one day blacks will one day be equal to whites.
15. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
(a) Mary probably waited for Bigger to leave then snuck out of the house again.
(b) Mary probably left earlier than expected because she is usually unpredictable.
(c) To Bigger's shock she told him that Mary has lost her head since dating Jan Erlone.
(d) There must have been some kind of foul play because Mary is usally very responsible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
2. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
3. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
4. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
5. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)