|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
(b) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(c) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
(d) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
2. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
(a) He goes to his room in the Dalton house and carefully puts them in his drawer.
(b) He sits on the bed and reads them.
(c) He throws them in the trash.
(d) He burns them.
3. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
(a) Jumps on his shoulder, then walks around his feet.
(b) It keeps looking from the furnace to Bigger and back again.
(c) Jumps on his shoulder and digs in its claws.
(d) Sits staring intently at Bigger.
4. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
5. How many people are searching for Bigger?
(a) Eight thousand police officers.
(b) Five thousand vigilantes.
(c) Eight thousand armed, angry, white men.
(d) Eight thousand police and vigilantes.
6. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
(a) Bigger runs away.
(b) Bigger shootes him.
(c) Bigger knocks him unconscious.
(d) Bigger throws snowballs at him.
7. As Bigger tells his fabricated story about the previous evening to Mr. Dalton and Britten, what is he feeling?
(a) So proud of his story he thinks of becoming a fiction writer.
(b) Worried they will find something in his story that doesn't ring true.
(c) Like he is the one in control because he is telling them what he wants them to believe.
(d) Afraid they won't believe him and that he'll be under suspicion.
8. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
(a) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
(b) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
(c) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
(d) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
9. In book two, how do the reporters decide to frame their stories?
(a) That the communists have plotted the kidnapping and are blaming it on Bigger.
(b) That negros are becomming more involved with communisim.
(c) That the negros want to be left alone and the communists forcing their beliefs on them.
(d) That the communists and the negros are working together to get the ransom.
10. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(b) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(c) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
(d) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
11. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop?
(a) Jumping to his death.
(b) Shooting himself.
(c) Trying to look for a fire escape.
(d) Trying to jump to the next building.
12. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
(a) He buys a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(b) He hides with a group of homeless people living near the river.
(c) He steals a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(d) He steals a loaf of bread then hides in an alley to eat it.
13. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
(a) He has no regrets.
(b) He didn't take back his engagement ring.
(c) He left $90 in her pocket.
(d) He regrets she didn't see things his way.
14. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
(a) He admits that he killed Mary and threatens Bessie, too.
(b) He denies killing Mary, but admits he stole money from her.
(c) He laughs and says Mary killed herself by jumping in the river and he just watched.
(d) He admits that he killed Mary and tells Bessie he'll tell everyone she helped him.
15. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
(a) The room fill with smoke so Bigger has to get a fan to blow it out the basement window.
(b) The fire starts to get hot again.
(c) The fire is smothered and the basement fills with smoke.
(d) The fire goes out and Bigger must restart it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
2. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
3. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
4. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
5. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)