|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only just wrote about him after he killed Mary?
(a) He is thrilled the newspaper is writing about him and thinks about killing again for more attention.
(b) Becaue he has felt the same anger and hatred inside him his entire life and no one ever wrote about it before.
(c) He is unhappy because the story isn't accurate.
(d) Because he didn't like the attention that could result in his being caught.
2. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) Kidnapping and ransom
(b) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
(c) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
(d) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
3. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
(a) He's afraid his daughter is just doing this to disgrace the family.
(b) He is afraid of the bad publicity.
(c) He doesn't think Jan Erlone has anything to do with it.
(d) He doesn't want the police invovled because doesn't trust them.
4. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
(a) That he had to work.
(b) That Mary's body didn't fit in the furnace. He hated all the blood when he cut off her head.
(c) That he hadn't planned the murder so he could have gotten more money and felt more successful.
(d) That he ever got mixed up with the Dalton's in the first place.
5. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
(a) He left $90 in her pocket.
(b) He regrets she didn't see things his way.
(c) He has no regrets.
(d) He didn't take back his engagement ring.
6. Who is Britten?
(a) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(b) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
(c) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(d) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
7. Where does Bigger first go after leaving his home the morning after Mary's murder?
(a) The Dalton's home
(b) The pool hall
(d) Bessie's apartment
8. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
(a) Bigger knocks him unconscious.
(b) Bigger runs away.
(c) Bigger throws snowballs at him.
(d) Bigger shootes him.
9. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
(a) Bigger runs away.
(b) Jan Erlone runs away when he sees Bigger has a knife.
(c) Bigger tells Jan Erlone he doesn't need his help.
(d) Bigger pulls a gun on Jan Erlone.
10. In book two when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
(a) How noisy he was when he took the trunk to the car that morning.
(b) How noisy he was when he took the trunk the the basement the night before.
(c) How Mrs. Dalton nearly caught him with Mary in her bedroom the night before.
(d) How his mother warned him he'll end up in the gallows if he doesn't straighten out his life.
11. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
(b) All are correct.
(c) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(d) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
12. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
(a) He hides behind a chimney.
(b) He is spotted.
(c) He gets away.
(d) He buries himself in snow so they don't see him.
13. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
(b) That he would keep quiet for a price.
(c) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(d) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
14. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
(b) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(c) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(d) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
15. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
(a) He is afraid he will spend the rest of his life on the run.
(b) He feels it has opened the door to opportunity.
(c) It has given meaning to his life.
(d) He feels powerful and ready to kill again.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are searching for Bigger?
2. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
3. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
4. When Bigger nearly falls off the ledge, how does the writer describe what he would fall into if he had fallen?
5. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)