|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
(a) He's afraid his daughter is just doing this to disgrace the family.
(b) He doesn't think Jan Erlone has anything to do with it.
(c) He is afraid of the bad publicity.
(d) He doesn't want the police invovled because doesn't trust them.
2. Where does Bigger first go after leaving his home the morning after Mary's murder?
(b) Bessie's apartment
(c) The pool hall
(d) The Dalton's home
3. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
(a) That they will one day make their own laws and rules.
(b) That one day blacks will one day be equal to whites.
(c) That someone will bring them together to make their lives better.
(d) That they will become superior to the whites and treat them like they have been treated.
4. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
(a) A tall, white and silent building.
(b) A vacant building in the slums.
(c) A white, vacant, quiet building.
(d) A large, white building.
5. While hidden Bigger reads a newspaper about the search for him. Why do the authorities still think Jan Erlone is the mastermind behind the entire murder and ransom?
(a) Because Jan Erlone refused to be released and has signed a confession.
(b) Because Jan Erlone is a communist and they hate communists.
(c) Because Mr. Dalton really liked Bigger and wanted to help him.
(d) Because coming up with such a detailed plan would be beyond the Negro mind.
6. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
(a) She tells him to take the day off because everyone is too worried about Mary to need his services that day.
(b) Go to the train station and find out what has happened to Mary's trunk.
(c) To take the trunk to the attic because the Dalton's will start worrying about Mary if they see it.
(d) Go the the train station and pick up Mary's trunk because no one claimed it.
7. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
(a) They don't, he gets away one more time.
(b) An officer wrestles with him and wins.
(c) They use a water hose to soak him.
(d) They shoot him in the leg.
8. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
(a) That he hadn't planned the murder so he could have gotten more money and felt more successful.
(b) That he ever got mixed up with the Dalton's in the first place.
(c) That he had to work.
(d) That Mary's body didn't fit in the furnace. He hated all the blood when he cut off her head.
9. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
(a) The fire starts to get hot again.
(b) The fire goes out and Bigger must restart it.
(c) The room fill with smoke so Bigger has to get a fan to blow it out the basement window.
(d) The fire is smothered and the basement fills with smoke.
10. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
(a) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
(b) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
(c) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
(d) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
11. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
(b) Kidnapping and ransom
(c) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
(d) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
12. How many people are searching for Bigger?
(a) Five thousand vigilantes.
(b) Eight thousand police and vigilantes.
(c) Eight thousand armed, angry, white men.
(d) Eight thousand police officers.
13. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
(a) That he was in love with a beautiful girl.
(b) That he was lucky to have a good job.
(c) That he killed a rich, white girl.
(d) That he knew something they didn't know.
14. When Bigger returns to the basement to shake down the ashes, what stops him?
(a) The white cat stares at him and makes uncomfortable.
(b) He sees that her body hasn't completely burned.
(c) He thinks he sees Mary's face as it looked the night before.
(d) He hears someone and is afraid they will see Mary's body.
15. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
(a) She expresses her dislike for the people Mary travels with, and is shocked she hadn't even packed her new clothing for the trip.
(b) She expains that she does not trust the people Mary associates herself with, and suspects they have something to do with Mary not being home.
(c) She complains that she took her daughter shopping for expensive clothing that she didn't even pack for her trip.
(d) She admits she isn't comfortable with Bigger living in the house and wonders if he frightened her daughter away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
2. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
3. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
4. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
5. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)