|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
(a) Money and cigars
(b) Candy and gum
(c) A cigarette and a roll of dollars
(d) A dollar and a pack of cigarettes
2. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(b) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
(c) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
(d) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
3. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
(a) He buys a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(b) He steals a loaf of bread then hides in an alley to eat it.
(c) He steals a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(d) He hides with a group of homeless people living near the river.
4. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
(a) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
(b) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
(c) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
(d) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
5. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
(a) That he hadn't planned the murder so he could have gotten more money and felt more successful.
(b) That Mary's body didn't fit in the furnace. He hated all the blood when he cut off her head.
(c) That he had to work.
(d) That he ever got mixed up with the Dalton's in the first place.
6. When Bigger nearly falls off the ledge, how does the writer describe what he would fall into if he had fallen?
(a) "The waiting arms of the police."
(b) "An ocean of cheers from the spectators below."
(c) "A boiling pot of hatred."
(d) "An ocean of boiling hate."
7. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(b) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(c) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
(d) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
8. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop?
(a) Jumping to his death.
(b) Trying to look for a fire escape.
(c) Shooting himself.
(d) Trying to jump to the next building.
9. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(b) All are correct.
(c) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
(d) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
10. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
(a) He's afraid his daughter is just doing this to disgrace the family.
(b) He is afraid of the bad publicity.
(c) He doesn't think Jan Erlone has anything to do with it.
(d) He doesn't want the police invovled because doesn't trust them.
11. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
(a) He admits that he killed Mary and threatens Bessie, too.
(b) He admits that he killed Mary and tells Bessie he'll tell everyone she helped him.
(c) He laughs and says Mary killed herself by jumping in the river and he just watched.
(d) He denies killing Mary, but admits he stole money from her.
12. How many people are searching for Bigger?
(a) Eight thousand police and vigilantes.
(b) Eight thousand armed, angry, white men.
(c) Five thousand vigilantes.
(d) Eight thousand police officers.
13. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
(a) He wants to make sure Mary's body is completely burned.
(b) He is afraid of burning himself.
(c) Fear and dread
(d) He doesn't know the ashes need to be removed.
14. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
(b) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
(c) Kidnapping and ransom
(d) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
15. In book two, how do the reporters decide to frame their stories?
(a) That negros are becomming more involved with communisim.
(b) That the communists have plotted the kidnapping and are blaming it on Bigger.
(c) That the negros want to be left alone and the communists forcing their beliefs on them.
(d) That the communists and the negros are working together to get the ransom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
2. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
3. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
4. Who is Britten?
5. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)