|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
(a) That Mr. Dalton, Britten and Bigger just hate communists.
(b) That Mr. Dalton and Britten are making Bigger lie.
(c) That they are all crazy and should be looking for Mary instead of questioning him.
(d) That Bigger is the person responsible for Mary's disappearance.
2. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
(a) Mrs. Dalton and a white private investigator.
(b) The police.
(c) Mr. Dalton and a group of white men.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dalton and Peggy.
3. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
(a) That he knew something they didn't know.
(b) That he killed a rich, white girl.
(c) That he was lucky to have a good job.
(d) That he was in love with a beautiful girl.
4. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
(a) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
(b) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
(c) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
(d) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
5. As Bigger tells his fabricated story about the previous evening to Mr. Dalton and Britten, what is he feeling?
(a) Worried they will find something in his story that doesn't ring true.
(b) So proud of his story he thinks of becoming a fiction writer.
(c) Afraid they won't believe him and that he'll be under suspicion.
(d) Like he is the one in control because he is telling them what he wants them to believe.
6. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
(a) He hates the music and can't wait to find another apartment.
(b) He half wishes he was a believer like his mother, but doesn't want to give up his sense of self.
(c) He wishes he could be with his mother.
(d) He hums along, but feeling to peace he gets angry.
7. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
(a) He admits that he killed Mary and tells Bessie he'll tell everyone she helped him.
(b) He denies killing Mary, but admits he stole money from her.
(c) He laughs and says Mary killed herself by jumping in the river and he just watched.
(d) He admits that he killed Mary and threatens Bessie, too.
8. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
(b) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(c) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
(d) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
9. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
(b) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(c) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
(d) All are correct.
10. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
(a) That Mary's body didn't fit in the furnace. He hated all the blood when he cut off her head.
(b) That he had to work.
(c) That he ever got mixed up with the Dalton's in the first place.
(d) That he hadn't planned the murder so he could have gotten more money and felt more successful.
11. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
(a) He climbs into an apartment window
(b) A roof top
(c) A fire escape
(d) He climbs a water tower
12. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
(b) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
(c) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
(d) Kidnapping and ransom
13. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
(a) A tall, white and silent building.
(b) A large, white building.
(c) A vacant building in the slums.
(d) A white, vacant, quiet building.
14. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
(a) But $100,000 in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(b) Put $100,000 in a hat box that he will retrieve.
(c) Put $1,000 in a hat box that Bessie will retrieve.
(d) Have $10,000 put in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
15. When Bigger returns to the basement to shake down the ashes, what stops him?
(a) He hears someone and is afraid they will see Mary's body.
(b) He sees that her body hasn't completely burned.
(c) He thinks he sees Mary's face as it looked the night before.
(d) The white cat stares at him and makes uncomfortable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when one of the men discovers bone and an earring in the ashes?
2. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
3. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
4. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
5. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)