|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
(a) He is afraid he will spend the rest of his life on the run.
(b) He feels it has opened the door to opportunity.
(c) It has given meaning to his life.
(d) He feels powerful and ready to kill again.
2. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
(b) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
(c) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
(d) Kidnapping and ransom
3. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
(a) Bigger tells Jan Erlone he doesn't need his help.
(b) Bigger pulls a gun on Jan Erlone.
(c) Bigger runs away.
(d) Jan Erlone runs away when he sees Bigger has a knife.
4. How many people are searching for Bigger?
(a) Five thousand vigilantes.
(b) Eight thousand police and vigilantes.
(c) Eight thousand police officers.
(d) Eight thousand armed, angry, white men.
5. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
(a) They use a water hose to soak him.
(b) An officer wrestles with him and wins.
(c) They don't, he gets away one more time.
(d) They shoot him in the leg.
6. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
(a) She tells him to take the day off because everyone is too worried about Mary to need his services that day.
(b) Go the the train station and pick up Mary's trunk because no one claimed it.
(c) Go to the train station and find out what has happened to Mary's trunk.
(d) To take the trunk to the attic because the Dalton's will start worrying about Mary if they see it.
7. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
(a) The shape of Mary's body beneath the coals.
(b) The white cat watching him again.
(c) He can't see anything because the light it out.
(d) Peggy watching from the top of the stairs.
8. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
(a) Put $100,000 in a hat box that he will retrieve.
(b) Have $10,000 put in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(c) But $100,000 in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(d) Put $1,000 in a hat box that Bessie will retrieve.
9. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
(a) A vacant building in the slums.
(b) A large, white building.
(c) A white, vacant, quiet building.
(d) A tall, white and silent building.
10. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
(a) In the Dalton mail box.
(b) Under the front door.
(c) On Mr. Dalton's desk in his office.
(d) Under the back door.
11. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
(b) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
(c) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(d) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
12. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
(b) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(c) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
(d) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
13. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
(a) Fear and dread
(b) He doesn't know the ashes need to be removed.
(c) He wants to make sure Mary's body is completely burned.
(d) He is afraid of burning himself.
14. In book two when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
(a) How noisy he was when he took the trunk to the car that morning.
(b) How Mrs. Dalton nearly caught him with Mary in her bedroom the night before.
(c) How noisy he was when he took the trunk the the basement the night before.
(d) How his mother warned him he'll end up in the gallows if he doesn't straighten out his life.
15. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
(a) Bigger knocks him unconscious.
(b) Bigger shootes him.
(c) Bigger throws snowballs at him.
(d) Bigger runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
2. Where does Bigger first go after leaving his home the morning after Mary's murder?
3. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
4. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
5. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)