|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
(a) He can't see anything because the light it out.
(b) The white cat watching him again.
(c) The shape of Mary's body beneath the coals.
(d) Peggy watching from the top of the stairs.
2. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
(a) He is afraid of burning himself.
(b) He doesn't know the ashes need to be removed.
(c) Fear and dread
(d) He wants to make sure Mary's body is completely burned.
3. Who is Britten?
(a) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(b) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(c) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(d) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
4. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
(a) It keeps looking from the furnace to Bigger and back again.
(b) Jumps on his shoulder, then walks around his feet.
(c) Sits staring intently at Bigger.
(d) Jumps on his shoulder and digs in its claws.
5. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
(a) The police.
(b) Mrs. Dalton and a white private investigator.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Dalton and Peggy.
(d) Mr. Dalton and a group of white men.
6. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
(a) She tells him to take the day off because everyone is too worried about Mary to need his services that day.
(b) Go to the train station and find out what has happened to Mary's trunk.
(c) To take the trunk to the attic because the Dalton's will start worrying about Mary if they see it.
(d) Go the the train station and pick up Mary's trunk because no one claimed it.
7. How does Mrs. Dalton look when she comes to Bigger's room to question him about Mary's disappearance?
(a) She's dressed in white and she looks suspicious.
(b) She's dressed in white and she is very pale.
(c) She's wearing a white pants suit and has her white hair tied back in a bun.
(d) She's wearing black because she knows Mary is dead.
8. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(b) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
(c) All are correct.
(d) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
9. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(b) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
(c) That he would keep quiet for a price.
(d) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
10. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
(a) A large, white building.
(b) A white, vacant, quiet building.
(c) A vacant building in the slums.
(d) A tall, white and silent building.
11. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
(a) That they will become superior to the whites and treat them like they have been treated.
(b) That one day blacks will one day be equal to whites.
(c) That they will one day make their own laws and rules.
(d) That someone will bring them together to make their lives better.
12. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
(a) Bigger tells Jan Erlone he doesn't need his help.
(b) Jan Erlone runs away when he sees Bigger has a knife.
(c) Bigger runs away.
(d) Bigger pulls a gun on Jan Erlone.
13. What happens when one of the men discovers bone and an earring in the ashes?
(a) He jumps out a window and hurts his knee, so he has to walk slowly to Bessie's apartment.
(b) He jumps out of a second story windown into the snow then runs to Bessie's apartment.
(c) Bigger slips away from the men then jumps out of a second story window into the snow.
(d) Bigger sneaks out of the basement door and runs to Bessie's apartment.
14. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
(a) He threatens to murder her family.
(b) She is greedy and wants in on the deal.
(c) He says he will give her half the money.
(d) He says he will leave her if she doesn't help him.
15. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
(a) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
(b) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
(c) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
(d) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
2. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
3. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
4. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
5. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)