|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
(a) He tries to sneak out of the house unnoticed.
(b) He remembers everything he did the night before.
(c) He sees his brother, Buddy, staring at him suspiciously.
(d) He doesn't think about what happened the night before.
2. In Book 2 when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
(a) How noisy he was when he took the trunk the the basement the night before.
(b) How noisy he was when he took the trunk to the car that morning.
(c) How his mother warned him he'll end up in the gallows if he didn't straighten out his life.
(d) How Mrs. Dalton nearly caught him with Mary in her bedroom the night before.
3. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop of the building where he is hiding?
(a) Trying to look for a fire escape.
(b) Trying to jump to the next building.
(c) Jumping to his death.
(d) Shooting himself.
4. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
(a) He laughs and says Mary killed herself by jumping in the river and he just watched.
(b) He admits that he killed Mary and threatens Bessie, too.
(c) He admits that he killed Mary and tells Bessie he'll tell everyone she helped him.
(d) He denies killing Mary, but admits he stole money from her.
5. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his scam?
(a) He threatens to murder her family.
(b) He says he will leave her if she doesn't help him.
(c) She is greedy and wants in on the deal.
(d) He says he will give her half the money.
6. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
(a) He sees his family as a burden compared to new possibilities created by Mary's death.
(b) He sees his family's poor existence compared to Mary's rich life.
(c) He sees his family as afraid as compared to Mary's confidence.
(d) He sees his family as alive compared to Mary being dead.
7. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
(b) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
(c) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
(d) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
8. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does Bigger do to persuade her?
(a) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
(b) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
(c) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
(d) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
9. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
(a) He feels it has opened the door to opportunity.
(b) He feels powerful and ready to kill again.
(c) It has given meaning to his life.
(d) He is afraid he will spend the rest of his life on the run.
10. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
(a) That someone will bring them together to make their lives better.
(b) That they will become superior to the whites and treat them like they have been treated.
(c) That one day blacks will one day be equal to whites.
(d) That they will one day make their own laws and rules.
11. Who is Britten?
(a) A detective with the Chicago Police Department.
(b) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(c) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(d) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
12. What does Bigger do to Bessie after they go to the old building to hide?
(a) He sleeps, then awakens realizing he must kill Bessie.
(b) He rapes her then cuts off her head like he did Mary's and throws her body down an air shaft.
(c) He rapes her then after she falls asleep, kills her with a brick, then throws her body down an air shaft.
(d) He smashes her head with a brick, then runs away.
13. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
(a) He is spotted.
(b) He hides behind a chimney.
(c) He gets away.
(d) He buries himself in snow so they don't see him.
14. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
(a) He hurries down the stairs to shake the ashes.
(b) He tells Peggy the furnace is fine, but he will check it anyway.
(c) He tells Peggy he will check the furnace later.
(d) He fears she suspects something and plans on how he will kill her if she discovers anything about Mary.
15. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
(a) The pamphlets Jan gave him.
(b) The knife.
(c) Mary's purse.
(d) His bloody clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 2 Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
2. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only wrote about him after he killed Mary?
3. As Bigger tells his fabricated story about the previous evening to Mr. Dalton and Britten, what is he feeling?
4. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
5. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)