|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
(a) He doesn't know the ashes need to be removed.
(b) Fear and dread
(c) He is afraid of burning himself.
(d) He wants to make sure Mary's body is completely burned.
2. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
(a) Bigger runs away.
(b) Bigger tells Jan Erlone he doesn't need his help.
(c) Jan Erlone runs away when he sees Bigger has a knife.
(d) Bigger pulls a gun on Jan Erlone.
3. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
(a) He sees his brother, Buddy, staring at him suspiciously.
(b) He remembers everything he did the night before.
(c) He doesn't think about what happened the night before.
(d) He tries to sneak out of the house unnoticed.
4. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(b) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
(c) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
(d) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
5. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
(a) There must have been some kind of foul play because Mary is usally very responsible.
(b) To Bigger's shock she told him that Mary has lost her head since dating Jan Erlone.
(c) Mary probably waited for Bigger to leave then snuck out of the house again.
(d) Mary probably left earlier than expected because she is usually unpredictable.
6. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
7. How many people are searching for Bigger?
(a) Eight thousand police officers.
(b) Eight thousand police and vigilantes.
(c) Eight thousand armed, angry, white men.
(d) Five thousand vigilantes.
8. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
(b) Kidnapping and ransom
(c) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
(d) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
9. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
(a) Have $10,000 put in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(b) But $100,000 in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(c) Put $1,000 in a hat box that Bessie will retrieve.
(d) Put $100,000 in a hat box that he will retrieve.
10. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
(a) In the Dalton mail box.
(b) Under the back door.
(c) On Mr. Dalton's desk in his office.
(d) Under the front door.
11. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
(a) Mary's purse
(b) The knife
(c) His bloody clothing
(d) The pamphlets Jan gave him
12. When Bigger returns to the basement to shake down the ashes, what stops him?
(a) He thinks he sees Mary's face as it looked the night before.
(b) He hears someone and is afraid they will see Mary's body.
(c) The white cat stares at him and makes uncomfortable.
(d) He sees that her body hasn't completely burned.
13. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
(a) He feels powerful and ready to kill again.
(b) He is afraid he will spend the rest of his life on the run.
(c) He feels it has opened the door to opportunity.
(d) It has given meaning to his life.
14. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
(a) He fears she suspects something and plans on how he will kill her if she discovers anything about Mary.
(b) He hurries down the stairs to shake the ashes.
(c) He tells Peggy he will check the furnace later.
(d) He tells Peggy the furnace is fine, but he will check it anyway.
15. In book two, how do the reporters decide to frame their stories?
(a) That the communists and the negros are working together to get the ransom.
(b) That the negros want to be left alone and the communists forcing their beliefs on them.
(c) That the communists have plotted the kidnapping and are blaming it on Bigger.
(d) That negros are becomming more involved with communisim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
2. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
3. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
4. As Bigger tells his fabricated story about the previous evening to Mr. Dalton and Britten, what is he feeling?
5. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)