|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
(a) Bigger runs away.
(b) Bigger pulls a gun on Jan Erlone.
(c) Jan Erlone runs away when he sees Bigger has a knife.
(d) Bigger tells Jan Erlone he doesn't need his help.
2. Who is Britten?
(a) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(b) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(c) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(d) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
3. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
(a) On Mr. Dalton's desk in his office.
(b) In the Dalton mail box.
(c) Under the back door.
(d) Under the front door.
4. As Bigger tells his fabricated story about the previous evening to Mr. Dalton and Britten, what is he feeling?
(a) So proud of his story he thinks of becoming a fiction writer.
(b) Afraid they won't believe him and that he'll be under suspicion.
(c) Worried they will find something in his story that doesn't ring true.
(d) Like he is the one in control because he is telling them what he wants them to believe.
5. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
(b) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(c) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(d) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
6. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
(a) He threatens to murder her family.
(b) He says he will give her half the money.
(c) He says he will leave her if she doesn't help him.
(d) She is greedy and wants in on the deal.
7. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
(a) He asks Mrs. Dalton what time Mary's train is supposed to leave, because he doesn't want them to be late.
(b) He loads her trunk, waits by the car, rings the bell, then asks Peggy what he should do since Mary has not come down.
(c) He eats breakfast with the Daltons as though nothing unusual has happened.
(d) He eats his breakfast then asks Peggy to go upstairs and find out what is taking Mary so long.
8. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
(a) Candy and gum
(b) Money and cigars
(c) A dollar and a pack of cigarettes
(d) A cigarette and a roll of dollars
9. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
(a) Mary's purse
(b) The knife
(c) His bloody clothing
(d) The pamphlets Jan gave him
10. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
(b) That he would keep quiet for a price.
(c) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(d) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
11. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
(a) He is carrying a package that turns out to be his own severed, bloddy head wrapped in paper.
(b) He tries to run from the blood, the coal, and white faces.
(c) A church bell that turns out to be a warning bell urging him to hide himself and his package.
(d) All are correct.
12. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
(a) They don't, he gets away one more time.
(b) An officer wrestles with him and wins.
(c) They shoot him in the leg.
(d) They use a water hose to soak him.
13. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
(a) He steals a loaf of bread then hides in an alley to eat it.
(b) He hides with a group of homeless people living near the river.
(c) He buys a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(d) He steals a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
14. In book two when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
(a) How his mother warned him he'll end up in the gallows if he doesn't straighten out his life.
(b) How noisy he was when he took the trunk to the car that morning.
(c) How noisy he was when he took the trunk the the basement the night before.
(d) How Mrs. Dalton nearly caught him with Mary in her bedroom the night before.
15. When Bigger nearly falls off the ledge, how does the writer describe what he would fall into if he had fallen?
(a) "The waiting arms of the police."
(b) "An ocean of boiling hate."
(c) "An ocean of cheers from the spectators below."
(d) "A boiling pot of hatred."
Short Answer Questions
1. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
2. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
3. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
4. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
5. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)