|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
(a) The white cat watching him again.
(b) He can't see anything because the light it out.
(c) The shape of Mary's body beneath the coals.
(d) Peggy watching from the top of the stairs.
2. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
(a) That they will one day make their own laws and rules.
(b) That someone will bring them together to make their lives better.
(c) That they will become superior to the whites and treat them like they have been treated.
(d) That one day blacks will one day be equal to whites.
3. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
(a) He half wishes he was a believer like his mother, but doesn't want to give up his sense of self.
(b) He hates the music and can't wait to find another apartment.
(c) He hums along, but feeling to peace he gets angry.
(d) He wishes he could be with his mother.
4. While hidden Bigger reads a newspaper about the search for him. Why do the authorities still think Jan Erlone is the mastermind behind the entire murder and ransom?
(a) Because Mr. Dalton really liked Bigger and wanted to help him.
(b) Because Jan Erlone refused to be released and has signed a confession.
(c) Because Jan Erlone is a communist and they hate communists.
(d) Because coming up with such a detailed plan would be beyond the Negro mind.
5. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
(a) He tells Peggy the furnace is fine, but he will check it anyway.
(b) He hurries down the stairs to shake the ashes.
(c) He fears she suspects something and plans on how he will kill her if she discovers anything about Mary.
(d) He tells Peggy he will check the furnace later.
6. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
(a) About Mary leaving her new clothing behind.
(b) About where he took Mary the night before.
(c) About Jan Erlone's involvement with the communists.
(d) About where the car was parked, the trunk and Jan Erlone.
7. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
(a) That he killed a rich, white girl.
(b) That he was lucky to have a good job.
(c) That he was in love with a beautiful girl.
(d) That he knew something they didn't know.
8. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
(a) That Mr. Dalton and Britten are making Bigger lie.
(b) That they are all crazy and should be looking for Mary instead of questioning him.
(c) That Mr. Dalton, Britten and Bigger just hate communists.
(d) That Bigger is the person responsible for Mary's disappearance.
9. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
(a) A roof top
(b) A fire escape
(c) He climbs into an apartment window
(d) He climbs a water tower
10. Who is Britten?
(a) A private investigator from Mr. Dalton's company.
(b) A private investigator Mr. Dalton hired that day to find Mary.
(c) A neighbor who saw Bigger carrying Mary into the house the night before.
(d) A detective with the Chicago P.D..
11. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
(a) A tall, white and silent building.
(b) A large, white building.
(c) A white, vacant, quiet building.
(d) A vacant building in the slums.
12. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
(b) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(c) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
(d) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
13. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
(a) That he has no idea what could have happened since Mary was fine when he left her.
(b) That the car is in the driveway because "the gentleman", Jan, was going to drive himself home the night before.
(c) He confesses that Mary had been drunk the night before and that "the gentleman", Jan Erlone, insisted on driving her home, but dropped Bigger at his home first.
(d) That the "gentleman", Jan Erlone, was planning on spending the night and he was going to go with Mary to the train in the morning.
14. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
(a) Bigger shootes him.
(b) Bigger throws snowballs at him.
(c) Bigger runs away.
(d) Bigger knocks him unconscious.
15. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
(a) Under the back door.
(b) On Mr. Dalton's desk in his office.
(c) Under the front door.
(d) In the Dalton mail box.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
2. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
3. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
4. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
5. How many people are searching for Bigger?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)