|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
(a) Kidnapping and ransom
(b) That he and Bessie should go out on the town
(c) Blaming Mary's disappeareance on Leopold and Loeb
(d) Contacting Leopold and Loeb for advice
2. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
(b) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(c) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
(d) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
3. Why does Bessie finally agree to help Bigger with his kidnapping scam?
(a) She is greedy and wants in on the deal.
(b) He says he will leave her if she doesn't help him.
(c) He says he will give her half the money.
(d) He threatens to murder her family.
4. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
(a) He is afraid he will spend the rest of his life on the run.
(b) It has given meaning to his life.
(c) He feels it has opened the door to opportunity.
(d) He feels powerful and ready to kill again.
5. How does Mrs. Dalton look when she comes to Bigger's room to question him about Mary's disappearance?
(a) She's dressed in white and she is very pale.
(b) She's wearing black because she knows Mary is dead.
(c) She's dressed in white and she looks suspicious.
(d) She's wearing a white pants suit and has her white hair tied back in a bun.
6. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only just wrote about him after he killed Mary?
(a) He is thrilled the newspaper is writing about him and thinks about killing again for more attention.
(b) Because he didn't like the attention that could result in his being caught.
(c) He is unhappy because the story isn't accurate.
(d) Becaue he has felt the same anger and hatred inside him his entire life and no one ever wrote about it before.
7. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
(a) He hums along, but feeling to peace he gets angry.
(b) He half wishes he was a believer like his mother, but doesn't want to give up his sense of self.
(c) He hates the music and can't wait to find another apartment.
(d) He wishes he could be with his mother.
8. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
(a) Jumps on his shoulder and digs in its claws.
(b) Jumps on his shoulder, then walks around his feet.
(c) Sits staring intently at Bigger.
(d) It keeps looking from the furnace to Bigger and back again.
9. Where does Bigger first go after leaving his home the morning after Mary's murder?
(a) Bessie's apartment
(b) The Dalton's home
(c) The pool hall
10. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
(a) He climbs into an apartment window
(b) He climbs a water tower
(c) A roof top
(d) A fire escape
11. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
(a) The shape of Mary's body beneath the coals.
(b) The white cat watching him again.
(c) He can't see anything because the light it out.
(d) Peggy watching from the top of the stairs.
12. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
(a) He gets away.
(b) He is spotted.
(c) He hides behind a chimney.
(d) He buries himself in snow so they don't see him.
13. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
(a) She complains that she took her daughter shopping for expensive clothing that she didn't even pack for her trip.
(b) She admits she isn't comfortable with Bigger living in the house and wonders if he frightened her daughter away.
(c) She expresses her dislike for the people Mary travels with, and is shocked she hadn't even packed her new clothing for the trip.
(d) She expains that she does not trust the people Mary associates herself with, and suspects they have something to do with Mary not being home.
14. Why does Mr. Dalton refuse to have Jan Erlone picked up by the police for questioning?
(a) He's afraid his daughter is just doing this to disgrace the family.
(b) He is afraid of the bad publicity.
(c) He doesn't think Jan Erlone has anything to do with it.
(d) He doesn't want the police invovled because doesn't trust them.
15. While hidden Bigger reads a newspaper about the search for him. Why do the authorities still think Jan Erlone is the mastermind behind the entire murder and ransom?
(a) Because Jan Erlone refused to be released and has signed a confession.
(b) Because Mr. Dalton really liked Bigger and wanted to help him.
(c) Because coming up with such a detailed plan would be beyond the Negro mind.
(d) Because Jan Erlone is a communist and they hate communists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Jan Erlone sees Bigger on the street and offers to help him, then invites him out for coffee to talk about the situation?
2. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
3. Who is Britten?
4. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
5. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)