|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when one of the men discovers bone and an earring in the ashes?
(a) He jumps out a window and hurts his knee, so he has to walk slowly to Bessie's apartment.
(b) He jumps out of a second story windown into the snow then runs to Bessie's apartment.
(c) Bigger slips away from the men then jumps out of a second story window into the snow.
(d) Bigger sneaks out of the basement door and runs to Bessie's apartment.
2. In book two when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
(a) How noisy he was when he took the trunk to the car that morning.
(b) How noisy he was when he took the trunk the the basement the night before.
(c) How Mrs. Dalton nearly caught him with Mary in her bedroom the night before.
(d) How his mother warned him he'll end up in the gallows if he doesn't straighten out his life.
3. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(b) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(c) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
(d) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
4. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
(a) He has no regrets.
(b) He didn't take back his engagement ring.
(c) He regrets she didn't see things his way.
(d) He left $90 in her pocket.
5. What happens when the first police officer comes through the trap door to the rooftop?
(a) Bigger knocks him unconscious.
(b) Bigger runs away.
(c) Bigger shootes him.
(d) Bigger throws snowballs at him.
6. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop?
(a) Trying to look for a fire escape.
(b) Trying to jump to the next building.
(c) Jumping to his death.
(d) Shooting himself.
7. Bigger finally shakes down the ashes, but he doesn't remove them from the furnace, he just adds more coal. What happens then?
(a) The room fill with smoke so Bigger has to get a fan to blow it out the basement window.
(b) The fire is smothered and the basement fills with smoke.
(c) The fire goes out and Bigger must restart it.
(d) The fire starts to get hot again.
8. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(b) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
(c) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
(d) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
9. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
(a) Jumps on his shoulder and digs in its claws.
(b) Jumps on his shoulder, then walks around his feet.
(c) Sits staring intently at Bigger.
(d) It keeps looking from the furnace to Bigger and back again.
10. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
(a) His bloody clothing
(b) The knife
(c) The pamphlets Jan gave him
(d) Mary's purse
11. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
(a) He admits that he killed Mary and tells Bessie he'll tell everyone she helped him.
(b) He denies killing Mary, but admits he stole money from her.
(c) He admits that he killed Mary and threatens Bessie, too.
(d) He laughs and says Mary killed herself by jumping in the river and he just watched.
12. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
(a) He burns them.
(b) He throws them in the trash.
(c) He goes to his room in the Dalton house and carefully puts them in his drawer.
(d) He sits on the bed and reads them.
13. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
(a) That the "gentleman", Jan Erlone, was planning on spending the night and he was going to go with Mary to the train in the morning.
(b) That he has no idea what could have happened since Mary was fine when he left her.
(c) That the car is in the driveway because "the gentleman", Jan, was going to drive himself home the night before.
(d) He confesses that Mary had been drunk the night before and that "the gentleman", Jan Erlone, insisted on driving her home, but dropped Bigger at his home first.
14. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
(a) He hums along, but feeling to peace he gets angry.
(b) He half wishes he was a believer like his mother, but doesn't want to give up his sense of self.
(c) He wishes he could be with his mother.
(d) He hates the music and can't wait to find another apartment.
15. What happens when Bigger arrives at Bessie's apartment and he tries to kiss her?
(a) She isn't interested because he ignored her at the diner.
(b) She tells him that since he now has a job he can marry her.
(c) She argues with him about not being home when she tried to visit him the night before.
(d) She tells him if he doesn't marry her it means he is ashamed of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
2. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
3. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
4. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
5. What does Peggy decide must have happened to Mary?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)