|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
(a) An officer wrestles with him and wins.
(b) They shoot him in the leg.
(c) They use a water hose to soak him.
(d) They don't, he gets away one more time.
2. What are Bigger's plans for the kidnapping farce?
(a) Have $10,000 put in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(b) But $100,000 in a shoe box that will be dropped and Bessie will retrieve.
(c) Put $100,000 in a hat box that he will retrieve.
(d) Put $1,000 in a hat box that Bessie will retrieve.
3. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
(a) Mr. Dalton tells Britten, Bigger probably knows nothing about them and doesn't even know Jan Erlone.
(b) Bigger stares coldly into the eyes of Britten until the man releases him.
(c) Mr. Dalton tells Britten that Bigger probably wouldn't even understand the brochures.
(d) Bigger wants to hit the private investigator, but controls the urge.
4. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
5. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
(a) He tells Peggy he will check the furnace later.
(b) He fears she suspects something and plans on how he will kill her if she discovers anything about Mary.
(c) He hurries down the stairs to shake the ashes.
(d) He tells Peggy the furnace is fine, but he will check it anyway.
6. Where does Bigger make his last stand?
(a) He climbs into an apartment window
(b) He climbs a water tower
(c) A fire escape
(d) A roof top
7. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
(a) Jumps on his shoulder and digs in its claws.
(b) Sits staring intently at Bigger.
(c) It keeps looking from the furnace to Bigger and back again.
(d) Jumps on his shoulder, then walks around his feet.
8. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
(a) He is spotted.
(b) He buries himself in snow so they don't see him.
(c) He hides behind a chimney.
(d) He gets away.
9. Why does Bigger seem bothered that the newspaper only just wrote about him after he killed Mary?
(a) He is thrilled the newspaper is writing about him and thinks about killing again for more attention.
(b) Because he didn't like the attention that could result in his being caught.
(c) He is unhappy because the story isn't accurate.
(d) Becaue he has felt the same anger and hatred inside him his entire life and no one ever wrote about it before.
10. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
(a) To take the trunk to the attic because the Dalton's will start worrying about Mary if they see it.
(b) Go the the train station and pick up Mary's trunk because no one claimed it.
(c) She tells him to take the day off because everyone is too worried about Mary to need his services that day.
(d) Go to the train station and find out what has happened to Mary's trunk.
11. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
(a) He sits on the bed and reads them.
(b) He throws them in the trash.
(c) He goes to his room in the Dalton house and carefully puts them in his drawer.
(d) He burns them.
12. In book two when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
(a) How Mrs. Dalton nearly caught him with Mary in her bedroom the night before.
(b) How noisy he was when he took the trunk the the basement the night before.
(c) How noisy he was when he took the trunk to the car that morning.
(d) How his mother warned him he'll end up in the gallows if he doesn't straighten out his life.
13. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
(a) The police.
(b) Mr. Dalton and a group of white men.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Dalton and Peggy.
(d) Mrs. Dalton and a white private investigator.
14. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
(a) That Mary's body didn't fit in the furnace. He hated all the blood when he cut off her head.
(b) That he ever got mixed up with the Dalton's in the first place.
(c) That he hadn't planned the murder so he could have gotten more money and felt more successful.
(d) That he had to work.
15. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
(a) He has no regrets.
(b) He didn't take back his engagement ring.
(c) He left $90 in her pocket.
(d) He regrets she didn't see things his way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger first go after leaving his home the morning after Mary's murder?
2. In Book Two Bigger is feeling very confident and powerful, except when he sleeps and dreams. What does he dream about after his first meeting with Britten.
3. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
4. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
5. How does Bigger feel committing murder has changed his life?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)