|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Dalton and Peggy.
(b) Mrs. Dalton and a white private investigator.
(c) Mr. Dalton and a group of white men.
(d) The police.
2. After he recalls killing Mary Dalton, what did Bigger realize he left in plain sight of his mother and his siblings?
(a) His bloody clothing
(b) The pamphlets Jan gave him
(c) The knife
(d) Mary's purse
3. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does bigger do to persuade her?
(a) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
(b) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
(c) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
(d) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
4. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
(a) She expains that she does not trust the people Mary associates herself with, and suspects they have something to do with Mary not being home.
(b) She expresses her dislike for the people Mary travels with, and is shocked she hadn't even packed her new clothing for the trip.
(c) She complains that she took her daughter shopping for expensive clothing that she didn't even pack for her trip.
(d) She admits she isn't comfortable with Bigger living in the house and wonders if he frightened her daughter away.
5. How much money does Bigger show Bessie to try to impress her?
6. What happens when Bigger climbs another ledge on the rooftop and beings crawling away?
(a) He gets away.
(b) He buries himself in snow so they don't see him.
(c) He hides behind a chimney.
(d) He is spotted.
7. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
(a) That he was lucky to have a good job.
(b) That he killed a rich, white girl.
(c) That he was in love with a beautiful girl.
(d) That he knew something they didn't know.
8. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
(a) He can't see anything because the light it out.
(b) The white cat watching him again.
(c) The shape of Mary's body beneath the coals.
(d) Peggy watching from the top of the stairs.
9. How do the police finally catch Bigger?
(a) An officer wrestles with him and wins.
(b) They use a water hose to soak him.
(c) They don't, he gets away one more time.
(d) They shoot him in the leg.
10. Where does Bigger first go after leaving his home the morning after Mary's murder?
(a) The Dalton's home
(b) The pool hall
(c) Bessie's apartment
11. In Book Two as Bigger rides the streetcar, what is his only regret?
(a) That he ever got mixed up with the Dalton's in the first place.
(b) That he hadn't planned the murder so he could have gotten more money and felt more successful.
(c) That he had to work.
(d) That Mary's body didn't fit in the furnace. He hated all the blood when he cut off her head.
12. What did Bigger's mother say to him after she awakens the morning after the killing?
(a) She wanted to know why he came in after 4 in the morning.
(b) She wanted to know what he wanted for breakfast.
(c) She told him Bessie came to see him the night before.
(d) She wanted to know why he was there if he was supposed to live at the Dalton's house.
13. When Bigger returns to the basement to shake down the ashes, what stops him?
(a) The white cat stares at him and makes uncomfortable.
(b) He sees that her body hasn't completely burned.
(c) He hears someone and is afraid they will see Mary's body.
(d) He thinks he sees Mary's face as it looked the night before.
14. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
(a) He wants to make sure Mary's body is completely burned.
(b) He doesn't know the ashes need to be removed.
(c) He is afraid of burning himself.
(d) Fear and dread
15. What did Buddy tell Bigger happened the night before?
(a) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him the night before and talked about marriage.
(b) That he would keep quiet for a price.
(c) That their mother was happy he got the job.
(d) That Bigger's girlfriend, Bessie, came to see him and that she was angry he wasn't there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
2. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
3. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
4. What happens when Britten backs Bigger against the wall and grabs his collar asking him about the pamphlets Jan Erlone gave him?
5. How is building Bigger chose as the lookout point for the money drop described in the story.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)