|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
(a) To a union meeting
(b) To a communist rally
2. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) Gets in a fight with Gus then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
(b) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessin.
(c) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall then stabs Gus.
(d) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
3. How many members are in the Thomas family?
4. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) Their landlord
(b) A gunman
(c) A rat
(d) A rabid cat
5. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
(a) She is afraid of Bigger.
(b) She thinks her daugher is asleep.
(c) She goes to get her husband.
(d) She smells liquor and thinks her daughter is passed out.
6. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
(a) He feels uneasy and hates them.
(b) Like dumping them and picking up his friends.
(c) He likes them immediately.
(d) Like he should quit the new job.
7. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(b) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
(c) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
(d) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
8. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
(a) He gets Peggy to help
(b) He carries her
(c) He gets her parents to help
(d) He drags her
9. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
(a) Jan Erlone
(b) Bessie Mears
10. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
(a) Get them a better place to live.
(b) Go to Blum's Delicatessin to get dinner.
(c) Get a job.
(d) Go to the supermarket for rat poison.
11. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
(a) She is an attractive woman with a good education.
(b) She is blind and much younger than her husband.
(c) She is afraid to speak up to her husband and seems afraid of him.
(d) She is blind and uses words he doesn't understand.
12. After winning the battle with "the beast" what does Bigger do?
(a) He shows his mother his prize.
(b) He sits down to eat dinner.
(c) He hides the remains.
(d) He frightens his sister, Vera, with the body.
13. What doe Bigger and Jack think being "Red" is?
(a) It's American communists.
(b) It's to do with Native Americans.
(c) It's a violent race in Russia.
(d) That it is better to be "Red" than dead.
14. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He doesn't want to lose his job
(b) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous
(c) He is black and she is white
(d) He isn't afraid of anything
15. As Bigger is leaving the Dalton home after Mary's death, what does he find near the Dalton's car?
(a) The pamphlets Jan gave him
(b) A bottle of rum
(c) Mary's expensive necklace
(d) Mary's purse
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
2. Who answers the door when Bigger finally knocks on the door of the Dalton house?
3. When Mrs. Dalton speaks to Bigger in the kitchen, what surprises him about her?
4. What is the on-going plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
5. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)