|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Bigger and his friends call the game they play?
(a) "Black" against "White"
(b) Kick the can
(c) Catch me if you can
2. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
(a) She doesn't ask him to pick up anyone.
(b) Her friend, Joan Erlone
(c) Her boyfriend, Jan Erlone
(d) Her professor, Mr. Erlone
3. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
(b) To a union meeting
(d) To a communist rally
4. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
(a) Out to the car
(b) Into the garage
(c) To a dumpster
(d) Into the basement
5. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
(a) They will do it in daylight instead of night.
(b) They will wear the jersey of a vival gang.
(c) They will use a car to getaway.
(d) They will use a gun and the person is white.
6. What kind of relationship does Bigger have with Gus?
(a) It is a volatile relationship
(b) They are classmates
(c) They are best friends
(d) They are half brothers
7. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) A rabid cat
(b) Their landlord
(c) A gunman
(d) A rat
8. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
(a) Like he should quit the new job.
(b) He feels uneasy and hates them.
(c) Like dumping them and picking up his friends.
(d) He likes them immediately.
9. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To Mary's house
(b) Home to her house
(c) To catch a bus
(d) To catch the train
10. What is the theme of the movie Bigger and Jack go to see?
(a) That white's are all communists
(b) That white people will suffer in the depression
(c) That blacks can also be rich
(d) The lifestyle of rich white people
11. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
(b) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessin.
(c) Gets in a fight with Gus then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
(d) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall then stabs Gus.
12. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
(a) window washer
13. Bigger and Jack stay for the second movie. What is it about?
(a) Black Americans
(b) Multi-cultural dances
(c) Native African's hunting in the jungle
(d) Naked native Africans dancing to drums.
14. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) In jail
(b) In foster care
(c) Living on the street
(d) The gallows
15. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
(a) It doesn't fit so he has to cut her limbs off.
(b) It doesn't fit so he rolls her in a carpet.
(c) It doesn't fit so he sits on the lid until he can close it.
(d) It doesn't fit so he has to force it inside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
2. How does Bigger feel about Mary Dalton?
3. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
4. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
5. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)