|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The story is set in what decade?
2. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
(a) To a union meeting
(b) To a communist rally
3. What does Mr. Dalton's company own?
(a) A construction company.
(b) The oldest bank in the city.
(c) The home in the ghetto where Bigger lives.
(d) A limo service.
4. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
(c) window washer
5. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
(a) Go to Blum's Delicatessin to get dinner.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Get them a better place to live.
(d) Go to the supermarket for rat poison.
6. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
(a) He will also do lawn work.
(b) He will help her in the kitchen.
(c) He will also take care of the furnace.
(d) He will also wash window.
7. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
(a) Helpless and Strong
(b) Pessimistic and Angry
(c) Hopeless and Fun-loving
(d) Angry and Joker
8. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
(a) Jack's father
(b) G.L.'s brother
(d) Mr. Dalton
9. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
(a) Ernie's Kitchen Shack
(b) Ms. Ernie's Rib Shack
(c) Ernie's Chicken and Ribs
(d) Ernetsine's Chicken Shack
10. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
(b) Bessie Mears
(d) Jan Erlone
11. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessin.
(b) Gets in a fight with Gus then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
(c) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
(d) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall then stabs Gus.
12. Bigger and Jack stay for the second movie. What is it about?
(a) Multi-cultural dances
(b) Native African's hunting in the jungle
(c) Naked native Africans dancing to drums.
(d) Black Americans
13. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To Mary's house
(b) To catch the train
(c) To catch a bus
(d) Home to her house
14. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
(a) Teaching a class
(b) Meeting her boyfriend
(c) Learning to swim
(d) Taking sewing lessons
15. What does Bigger do after he puts Mary to bed?
(a) He kisses her
(b) He leaves her alone
(c) He covers her
(d) He puts her into her nightgown
Short Answer Questions
1. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary and Jan do as they drive around the park?
2. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
3. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
4. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
5. How many bedrooms does the Thomas family share?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)