|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tell whom the lone witness to Bigger's crime is?
(a) The Dalton's white cat.
(b) Mrs. Dalton
(c) A neighbor peeking out their window
(d) Peggy the housekeeper
2. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
(a) He feels uneasy and hates them.
(b) He likes them immediately.
(c) Like he should quit the new job.
(d) Like dumping them and picking up his friends.
3. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
(a) Lost Soul
4. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
(a) Helpless and Strong
(b) Angry and Joker
(c) Pessimistic and Angry
(d) Hopeless and Fun-loving
5. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
(a) He will also wash window.
(b) He will help her in the kitchen.
(c) He will also take care of the furnace.
(d) He will also do lawn work.
6. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
(a) In the basement of an abandoned building
(b) An apartment in the "Black Belt"
(c) In a condo on the river
(d) A shack along the waterfront
7. What does Mr. Dalton's company own?
(a) A limo service.
(b) A construction company.
(c) The home in the ghetto where Bigger lives.
(d) The oldest bank in the city.
8. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
(a) They will use a gun and the person is white.
(b) They will use a car to getaway.
(c) They will do it in daylight instead of night.
(d) They will wear the jersey of a vival gang.
9. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
(b) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
(c) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(d) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
10. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
(a) Out to the car
(b) Into the garage
(c) Into the basement
(d) To a dumpster
11. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) The gallows
(b) In jail
(c) In foster care
(d) Living on the street
12. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She wants to go right to Detroit.
(b) She is too drunk to walk.
(c) She doesn't want to go home.
(d) She is very sick.
13. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(b) Learning the secret to "Getting hold of money."
(c) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(d) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
14. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
(c) New York City
15. How many members are in the Thomas family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary and Jan enter the restaurant?
2. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
3. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
4. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary and Jan do as they drive around the park?
5. Where does Bigger have a job interview?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)