Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
(d) Lost Soul.
2. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
(a) Mr. Dalton.
(b) G.L.'s brother.
(d) Jack's father.
3. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
(a) Sink the trunk and the body in the river.
(b) Burn it in the furnace.
(c) Ship it in the trunk to Jan.
(d) Put it in a dumpster near the train station.
4. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She is too drunk to walk.
(b) She is very sick.
(c) She wants to go right to Detroit.
(d) She doesn't want to go home.
5. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He is black and she is white.
(b) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous.
(c) He doesn't want to lose his job.
(d) He isn't afraid of anything.
6. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
(a) They will use a car to getaway.
(b) They will use a gun and the person is white.
(c) They will do it in daylight instead of night.
(d) They will wear the jersey of a rival gang.
7. As Bigger is leaving the Dalton home after Mary's death, what does he find near the Dalton's car?
(a) A bottle of rum.
(b) The pamphlets Jan gave him.
(c) Mary's purse.
(d) Mary's expensive necklace.
8. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
(a) He will also take care of the furnace.
(b) He will help her in the kitchen.
(c) He will also do lawn work.
(d) He will also wash the windows.
9. The story is set in what decade?
10. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
(a) That he is a very lucky young man.
(b) That Mary wanted him to kiss her.
(c) That he killed Mary by smothering her.
(d) That Mary had a heart attack.
11. What do Bigger and his friends call the game they play?
(a) Black against white.
(b) Kick the can.
(d) Catch me if you can.
12. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
(b) Bigger's mom.
13. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(b) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
(c) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
(d) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
14. Bigger and Jack stay for the second movie. What is it about?
(a) Native Africans hunting in the jungle.
(b) Black Americans.
(c) Naked, native Africans dancing to drums.
(d) Multi-cultural dances.
15. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
(a) Her friend, Joan Erlone.
(b) Her boyfriend, Jan Erlone.
(c) Her professor, Mr. Erlone.
(d) She doesn't ask him to pick up anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
2. What kind of relationship does Bigger have with Gus?
3. When Bigger arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
4. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
5. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)