|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ongoing plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
(a) Robbing Blum's Delicatessen.
(b) Going to college.
(c) Robbing a liquor store.
(d) Taking classes at the YMCA.
2. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) Gets in a fight with Gus, then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
(b) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
(c) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall, then stabs Gus.
(d) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessen.
3. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
(a) G.L.'s brother.
(c) Mr. Dalton.
(d) Jack's father.
4. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(b) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(c) Learning the secret to "getting hold of money."
(d) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
5. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan, and Bigger go to eat?
(a) Ernie's Kitchen Shack.
(b) Ms. Ernie's Rib Shack.
(c) Ernie's Chicken and Ribs.
(d) Ernestine's Chicken Shack.
6. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) A rabid cat.
(b) A rat.
(c) Their landlord.
(d) A gunman.
7. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
(a) He finishes the bottle of rum then goes home to sleep.
(b) He steals money from Mary's purse then goes home to sleep.
(c) He takes Mary's necklace to a pawn shop then goes home with the money.
(d) He takes the pamphlets Jan gave him and plants them in Mary's room.
8. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
9. How many members are in the Thomas family?
10. After winning the battle with "the beast" what does Bigger do?
(a) He hides the remains.
(b) He frightens his sister, Vera, with the body.
(c) He sits down to eat dinner.
(d) He shows his mother his prize.
11. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
(a) She thinks her daugher is asleep.
(b) She is afraid of Bigger.
(c) She goes to get her husband.
(d) She smells liquor and thinks her daughter is passed out.
12. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary, and Jan enter the restaurant?
(a) Jack and Bessie Mears.
(b) Gus and Bessie Mears.
(c) Gus, Jack, and G.H..
(d) Jack and G.H..
13. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
(a) Meeting her boyfriend.
(b) Teaching a class.
(c) Learning to swim.
(d) Taking sewing lessons.
14. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
(a) Like he should quit the new job.
(b) He likes them immediately.
(c) Like dumping them and picking up his friends.
(d) He feels uneasy and hates them.
15. How many bedrooms does the Thomas family share?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the lone witness to Bigger's crime?
2. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary, and Jan do as they drive around the park?
3. What does Mr. Dalton's company own?
4. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
5. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)