|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Dalton's company own?
(a) The home in the ghetto where Bigger lives.
(b) A construction company.
(c) A limo service.
(d) The oldest bank in the city.
2. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
(a) He stuffs the corner of her blanket in her mouth.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He puts his hand over her mouth.
(d) He puts a pillow over her face.
3. What is the theme of the movie Bigger and Jack go to see?
(a) That white people will suffer in the depression
(b) The lifestyle of rich white people
(c) That white's are all communists
(d) That blacks can also be rich
4. When Mrs. Dalton speaks to Bigger in the kitchen, what surprises him about her?
(a) In spite of her blindness she is knows exactly where he is.
(b) That she can read his mind.
(c) That she can look deep into his soul.
(d) In spite of her blindness she is very independent.
5. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
(a) Into the basement
(b) To a dumpster
(c) Into the garage
(d) Out to the car
6. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
7. Where does Bigger have a job interview?
(a) At YMCA
(b) At Blum's Delicatessin
(c) At the supermarket
(d) At the Dalton's
8. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He was going to make a point of telling everyone in the morning that Mary wanted him to get her luggage, then he'll tell everyone she's not in her room.
(b) He was in there when he helped her into bed, but she was okay when he left her.
(c) He wasn't taking a chance, he wiped everything clean of his fingerprints.
(d) He was in there to take her luggage to the station for her trip to Detroit.
9. Where do Mary and Jan sit in the car?
(a) In the front seat with Bigger.
(b) The sit in the front and ask Bigger to sit in the back.
(c) In the back seat.
(d) The don't, they walk.
10. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
(a) Go to the supermarket for rat poison.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Go to Blum's Delicatessin to get dinner.
(d) Get them a better place to live.
11. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
(a) It doesn't fit so he sits on the lid until he can close it.
(b) It doesn't fit so he has to force it inside.
(c) It doesn't fit so he has to cut her limbs off.
(d) It doesn't fit so he rolls her in a carpet.
12. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary and Jan enter the restaurant?
(a) Jack and Bessie Mears
(b) Gus and Bessie Mears
(c) Jack and G.H.
(d) Gus, Jack and G.H.
13. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
(a) He takes the pamphlets Jan gave him and plants them in Mary's room.
(b) He finishes the bottle of rum then goes home to sleep.
(c) He steals money from Mary's purse then goes home to sleep.
(d) He takes Mary's necklace to a pawn shop then goes home with the money.
14. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
(a) She is an attractive woman with a good education.
(b) She is blind and much younger than her husband.
(c) She is afraid to speak up to her husband and seems afraid of him.
(d) She is blind and uses words he doesn't understand.
15. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
(a) Because he is in a gang.
(b) Because he has a prison record.
(c) Because he does not want to continue his education.
(d) Because he doesn't like her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
2. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
3. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
4. How does Bigger feel about Mary Dalton?
5. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)