|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who answers the door when Bigger finally knocks on the door of the Dalton house?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) Mr. Dalton.
(c) The butler.
(d) Mary Dalton.
2. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
(a) Taking sewing lessons.
(b) Meeting her boyfriend.
(c) Learning to swim.
(d) Teaching a class.
3. Bigger and Jack stay for the second movie. What is it about?
(a) Naked, native Africans dancing to drums.
(b) Multi-cultural dances.
(c) Black Americans.
(d) Native Africans hunting in the jungle.
4. The story is set in what decade?
5. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
(a) To a dumpster.
(b) Out to the car.
(c) Into the garage.
(d) Into the basement.
6. What does Mr. Dalton's company own?
(a) The oldest bank in the city.
(b) The home in the ghetto where Bigger lives.
(c) A limo service.
(d) A construction company.
7. Where do Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To Bigger's house.
(b) Home to her house.
(c) To catch a bus.
(d) To catch the train.
8. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) A rat.
(b) Their landlord.
(c) A gunman.
(d) A rabid cat.
9. What do Bigger and his friends call the game they play?
(b) Black against white.
(c) Kick the can.
(d) Catch me if you can.
10. What does Bigger tell his friend Gus he could do if he had the chance?
(a) Drive a car.
(b) Earn a lot of money.
(c) Fly a plane.
(d) Rob a bank.
11. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
(a) Window washer.
12. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
(a) Bessie Mears.
(b) Jan Erlone.
13. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
(b) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessen.
(c) Gets in a fight with Gus, then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
(d) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall, then stabs Gus.
14. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He stuffs the corner of her blanket in her mouth.
(c) He puts his hand over her mouth.
(d) He puts a pillow over her face.
15. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
(a) He takes Mary's necklace to a pawn shop then goes home with the money.
(b) He takes the pamphlets Jan gave him and plants them in Mary's room.
(c) He steals money from Mary's purse then goes home to sleep.
(d) He finishes the bottle of rum then goes home to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger have a job interview?
2. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
3. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
4. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
5. Where do Mary and Jan sit in the car?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)