|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
(b) New York City
2. What does Bigger do after he puts Mary to bed?
(a) He kisses her
(b) He leaves her alone
(c) He covers her
(d) He puts her into her nightgown
3. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
(a) That Mary wanted him to kiss her.
(b) That he killed Mary by smothering her.
(c) That he is a very lucky young man.
(d) That Mary had a heart attack.
4. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessin.
(b) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
(c) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall then stabs Gus.
(d) Gets in a fight with Gus then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
5. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To catch a bus
(b) To Mary's house
(c) To catch the train
(d) Home to her house
6. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She is too drunk to walk.
(b) She wants to go right to Detroit.
(c) She doesn't want to go home.
(d) She is very sick.
7. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(b) Learning the secret to "Getting hold of money."
(c) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(d) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
8. What doe Bigger and Jack think being "Red" is?
(a) It's a violent race in Russia.
(b) It's American communists.
(c) It's to do with Native Americans.
(d) That it is better to be "Red" than dead.
9. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
(a) He will also do lawn work.
(b) He will help her in the kitchen.
(c) He will also wash window.
(d) He will also take care of the furnace.
10. Where does Bigger have a job interview?
(a) At Blum's Delicatessin
(b) At the Dalton's
(c) At the supermarket
(d) At YMCA
11. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
(a) Her professor, Mr. Erlone
(b) She doesn't ask him to pick up anyone.
(c) Her boyfriend, Jan Erlone
(d) Her friend, Joan Erlone
12. How does Bigger feel about Mary Dalton?
(a) He finds her very attractive.
(b) He hates her instantly.
(c) He has no feelings about her or anyone.
(d) He feels she is just like her mother.
13. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary and Jan do as they drive around the park?
(a) Drink until they all pass out.
(b) Get drunk and read pamphlets
(c) Talk about Mary's upcoming trip.
(d) Drink beer, rum and talk about communism.
14. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
(a) He's concerned he won't be able to do the job.
(b) Whether he should go to the front door or the back.
(c) Whether he should be dressed in nicer clothing.
(d) He's worried they will dislike him because he is black.
15. When Mrs. Dalton speaks to Bigger in the kitchen, what surprises him about her?
(a) That she can read his mind.
(b) That she can look deep into his soul.
(c) In spite of her blindness she is knows exactly where he is.
(d) In spite of her blindness she is very independent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bigger tell his friend Gus he could do if he had the chance?
2. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
3. Where does Bigger say white people live?
4. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
5. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)