|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who answers the door when Bigger finally knocks on the door of the Dalton house?
(a) The house-keeper.
(b) The butler.
(c) Mr. Dalton
(d) Mary Dalton
2. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
(a) Lost Soul
3. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
(a) Because he does not want to continue his education.
(b) Because he doesn't like her family.
(c) Because he is in a gang.
(d) Because he has a prison record.
4. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
(a) Go to the supermarket for rat poison.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Go to Blum's Delicatessin to get dinner.
(d) Get them a better place to live.
5. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
(a) She is blind and uses words he doesn't understand.
(b) She is afraid to speak up to her husband and seems afraid of him.
(c) She is blind and much younger than her husband.
(d) She is an attractive woman with a good education.
6. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She doesn't want to go home.
(b) She is very sick.
(c) She wants to go right to Detroit.
(d) She is too drunk to walk.
7. What is the on-going plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
(a) Robbing Blum's Delicatessin
(b) Robbing a liquior store
(c) Going to college
(d) Taking classes at the YMCA
8. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
(a) She is afraid of Bigger.
(b) She thinks her daugher is asleep.
(c) She goes to get her husband.
(d) She smells liquor and thinks her daughter is passed out.
9. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
(a) Burn it in the furnace.
(b) Put it in a dumpster near the train station.
(c) Ship it in the trunk to Jan
(d) Sink the trunk and the body in the river.
10. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He isn't afraid of anything
(b) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous
(c) He is black and she is white
(d) He doesn't want to lose his job
11. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
(a) He steals money from Mary's purse then goes home to sleep.
(b) He takes the pamphlets Jan gave him and plants them in Mary's room.
(c) He finishes the bottle of rum then goes home to sleep.
(d) He takes Mary's necklace to a pawn shop then goes home with the money.
12. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
(b) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(c) Learning the secret to "Getting hold of money."
(d) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
13. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
(a) In a condo on the river
(b) A shack along the waterfront
(c) An apartment in the "Black Belt"
(d) In the basement of an abandoned building
14. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
(a) Ernie's Chicken and Ribs
(b) Ernetsine's Chicken Shack
(c) Ernie's Kitchen Shack
(d) Ms. Ernie's Rib Shack
15. What doe Bigger and Jack think being "Red" is?
(a) It's to do with Native Americans.
(b) It's American communists.
(c) It's a violent race in Russia.
(d) That it is better to be "Red" than dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bigger do after he puts Mary to bed?
2. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
3. As Bigger is leaving the Dalton home after Mary's death, what does he find near the Dalton's car?
4. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
5. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)