|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) A rat
(b) Their landlord
(c) A gunman
(d) A rabid cat
2. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
(a) He's concerned he won't be able to do the job.
(b) Whether he should go to the front door or the back.
(c) Whether he should be dressed in nicer clothing.
(d) He's worried they will dislike him because he is black.
3. How many members are in the Thomas family?
4. Where does Bigger have a job interview?
(a) At Blum's Delicatessin
(b) At the Dalton's
(c) At the supermarket
(d) At YMCA
5. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
(a) To a union meeting
(c) To a communist rally
6. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
(a) Ernie's Chicken and Ribs
(b) Ernetsine's Chicken Shack
(c) Ernie's Kitchen Shack
(d) Ms. Ernie's Rib Shack
7. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He is black and she is white
(b) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous
(c) He isn't afraid of anything
(d) He doesn't want to lose his job
8. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
(a) She is blind and uses words he doesn't understand.
(b) She is blind and much younger than her husband.
(c) She is an attractive woman with a good education.
(d) She is afraid to speak up to her husband and seems afraid of him.
9. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
(a) Her boyfriend, Jan Erlone
(b) Her professor, Mr. Erlone
(c) She doesn't ask him to pick up anyone.
(d) Her friend, Joan Erlone
10. What Bigger and his friends call the game they play?
(a) Kick the can
(c) Catch me if you can
(d) "Black" against "White"
11. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) Living on the street
(b) In jail
(c) In foster care
(d) The gallows
12. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
(a) They will do it in daylight instead of night.
(b) They will use a gun and the person is white.
(c) They will wear the jersey of a vival gang.
(d) They will use a car to getaway.
13. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
(a) Into the basement
(b) Out to the car
(c) To a dumpster
(d) Into the garage
14. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To catch a bus
(b) Home to her house
(c) To Mary's house
(d) To catch the train
15. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
(a) Because he doesn't like her family.
(b) Because he has a prison record.
(c) Because he does not want to continue his education.
(d) Because he is in a gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary and Jan enter the restaurant?
2. How does Bigger feel about Mary Dalton?
3. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
4. Bigger and Jack stay for the second movie. What is it about?
5. As Bigger is leaving the Dalton home after Mary's death, what does he find near the Dalton's car?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)