|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
(c) Bessie Mears.
(d) Jan Erlone.
2. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
(a) That Mary had a heart attack.
(b) That he killed Mary by smothering her.
(c) That Mary wanted him to kiss her.
(d) That he is a very lucky young man.
3. Where do Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To catch a bus.
(b) To Bigger's house.
(c) Home to her house.
(d) To catch the train.
4. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary, and Jan enter the restaurant?
(a) Jack and Bessie Mears.
(b) Gus and Bessie Mears.
(c) Gus, Jack, and G.H..
(d) Jack and G.H..
5. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
(a) Burn it in the furnace.
(b) Ship it in the trunk to Jan.
(c) Put it in a dumpster near the train station.
(d) Sink the trunk and the body in the river.
6. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
(a) To a dumpster.
(b) Into the basement.
(c) Out to the car.
(d) Into the garage.
7. What do Bigger and Jack think being "Red" is?
(a) It's to do with Native Americans.
(b) It's American communists.
(c) That it is better to be "Red" than dead.
(d) It's a violent race in Russia.
8. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(b) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
(c) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
(d) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
9. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
(b) New York City.
10. After winning the battle with "the beast" what does Bigger do?
(a) He frightens his sister, Vera, with the body.
(b) He sits down to eat dinner.
(c) He hides the remains.
(d) He shows his mother his prize.
11. Where do Mary and Jan sit in the car?
(a) They don't; they walk.
(b) In the back seat.
(c) They sit in the front and ask Bigger to sit in the back.
(d) In the front seat with Bigger.
12. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
(a) Get a job.
(b) Go to Blum's Delicatessen to get dinner.
(c) Get them a better place to live.
(d) Go to the supermarket for rat poison.
13. Who is the lone witness to Bigger's crime?
(a) A neighbor peeking out their window.
(b) Peggy the housekeeper.
(c) Mrs. Dalton.
(d) The Dalton's white cat.
14. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
(a) Hopeless and fun-loving.
(b) Angry and joking.
(c) Helpless and strong.
(d) Pessimistic and angry.
15. How does Bigger feel about Mary Dalton?
(a) He hates her instantly.
(b) He finds her very attractive.
(c) He has no feelings about her or anyone.
(d) He feels she is just like her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
2. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
3. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
4. What do Bigger and his friends call the game they play?
5. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)