|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tell whom the lone witness to Bigger's crime is?
(a) Mrs. Dalton
(b) The Dalton's white cat.
(c) Peggy the housekeeper
(d) A neighbor peeking out their window
2. What does Bigger tell his friend Gus he could do if he had the chance?
(a) Fly a plane
(b) Drive a car
(c) Rob a bank
(d) Earn a lot of money
3. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
(d) window washer
4. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
(d) New York City
5. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
(b) Bigger's mom
(d) G. H.
6. Where do Mary and Jan sit in the car?
(a) The don't, they walk.
(b) In the back seat.
(c) In the front seat with Bigger.
(d) The sit in the front and ask Bigger to sit in the back.
7. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
(a) He drags her
(b) He gets her parents to help
(c) He gets Peggy to help
(d) He carries her
8. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
(a) Go to the supermarket for rat poison.
(b) Go to Blum's Delicatessin to get dinner.
(c) Get them a better place to live.
(d) Get a job.
9. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To Mary's house
(b) To catch the train
(c) Home to her house
(d) To catch a bus
10. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
(a) Ernie's Kitchen Shack
(b) Ms. Ernie's Rib Shack
(c) Ernetsine's Chicken Shack
(d) Ernie's Chicken and Ribs
11. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
(a) Bessie Mears
(c) Jan Erlone
12. How many members are in the Thomas family?
13. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
(a) In the basement of an abandoned building
(b) A shack along the waterfront
(c) An apartment in the "Black Belt"
(d) In a condo on the river
14. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(b) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(c) Learning the secret to "Getting hold of money."
(d) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
15. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She doesn't want to go home.
(b) She wants to go right to Detroit.
(c) She is too drunk to walk.
(d) She is very sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
2. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
3. After winning the battle with "the beast" what does Bigger do?
4. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
5. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)