|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary, and Jan do as they drive around the park?
(a) Get drunk and read pamphlets
(b) Drink beer and rum and talk about communism.
(c) Drink until they all pass out.
(d) Talk about Mary's upcoming trip.
2. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
(a) Because he has a prison record.
(b) Because he is in a gang.
(c) Because he doesn't like her family.
(d) Because he does not want to continue his education.
3. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
(a) He takes the pamphlets Jan gave him and plants them in Mary's room.
(b) He takes Mary's necklace to a pawn shop then goes home with the money.
(c) He finishes the bottle of rum then goes home to sleep.
(d) He steals money from Mary's purse then goes home to sleep.
4. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
(a) She goes to get her husband.
(b) She smells liquor and thinks her daughter is passed out.
(c) She thinks her daugher is asleep.
(d) She is afraid of Bigger.
5. What is the ongoing plan Bigger and his friends discuss that morning?
(a) Robbing Blum's Delicatessen.
(b) Robbing a liquor store.
(c) Taking classes at the YMCA.
(d) Going to college.
6. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
7. What does Mr. Dalton's company own?
(a) The home in the ghetto where Bigger lives.
(b) The oldest bank in the city.
(c) A construction company.
(d) A limo service.
8. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
(a) New York City.
9. What does Bigger tell his friend Gus he could do if he had the chance?
(a) Drive a car.
(b) Rob a bank.
(c) Fly a plane.
(d) Earn a lot of money.
10. After winning the battle with "the beast" what does Bigger do?
(a) He shows his mother his prize.
(b) He hides the remains.
(c) He sits down to eat dinner.
(d) He frightens his sister, Vera, with the body.
11. As Bigger is leaving the Dalton home after Mary's death, what does he find near the Dalton's car?
(a) The pamphlets Jan gave him.
(b) A bottle of rum.
(c) Mary's expensive necklace.
(d) Mary's purse.
12. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She is very sick.
(b) She is too drunk to walk.
(c) She doesn't want to go home.
(d) She wants to go right to Detroit.
13. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
(a) He will help her in the kitchen.
(b) He will also take care of the furnace.
(c) He will also wash the windows.
(d) He will also do lawn work.
14. What do Bigger and Jack think being "Red" is?
(a) It's American communists.
(b) It's to do with Native Americans.
(c) That it is better to be "Red" than dead.
(d) It's a violent race in Russia.
15. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
(a) He gets her parents to help.
(b) He carries her.
(c) He drags her.
(d) He gets Peggy to help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
2. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
3. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
4. What kind of relationship does Bigger have with Gus?
5. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)