|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
(a) Meeting her boyfriend
(b) Taking sewing lessons
(c) Teaching a class
(d) Learning to swim
2. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
(c) G. H.
(d) Bigger's mom
3. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
(a) Mr. Dalton
(c) Jack's father
(d) G.L.'s brother
4. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
5. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He was in there when he helped her into bed, but she was okay when he left her.
(b) He was going to make a point of telling everyone in the morning that Mary wanted him to get her luggage, then he'll tell everyone she's not in her room.
(c) He was in there to take her luggage to the station for her trip to Detroit.
(d) He wasn't taking a chance, he wiped everything clean of his fingerprints.
6. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
(a) Like dumping them and picking up his friends.
(b) Like he should quit the new job.
(c) He feels uneasy and hates them.
(d) He likes them immediately.
7. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
(a) He will also take care of the furnace.
(b) He will help her in the kitchen.
(c) He will also do lawn work.
(d) He will also wash window.
8. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(b) Learning the secret to "Getting hold of money."
(c) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(d) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
9. The story is set in what decade?
10. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
(a) He gets Peggy to help
(b) He gets her parents to help
(c) He carries her
(d) He drags her
11. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She is too drunk to walk.
(b) She wants to go right to Detroit.
(c) She is very sick.
(d) She doesn't want to go home.
12. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
(a) To a communist rally
(d) To a union meeting
13. When Mrs. Dalton speaks to Bigger in the kitchen, what surprises him about her?
(a) That she can look deep into his soul.
(b) That she can read his mind.
(c) In spite of her blindness she is very independent.
(d) In spite of her blindness she is knows exactly where he is.
14. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) Gets in a fight with Gus then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
(b) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessin.
(c) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall then stabs Gus.
(d) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
15. What does Mrs. Thomas want Bigger to do to help the family?
(a) Go to the supermarket for rat poison.
(b) Go to Blum's Delicatessin to get dinner.
(c) Get them a better place to live.
(d) Get a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
2. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
3. Where does Bigger have a job interview?
4. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
5. As Bigger is leaving the Dalton home after Mary's death, what does he find near the Dalton's car?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)