|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
(a) Into the garage
(b) To a dumpster
(c) Out to the car
(d) Into the basement
2. Where does Bigger have a job interview?
(a) At YMCA
(b) At the Dalton's
(c) At the supermarket
(d) At Blum's Delicatessin
3. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
(a) Whether he should be dressed in nicer clothing.
(b) He's worried they will dislike him because he is black.
(c) Whether he should go to the front door or the back.
(d) He's concerned he won't be able to do the job.
4. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He isn't afraid of anything
(b) He is black and she is white
(c) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous
(d) He doesn't want to lose his job
5. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
(a) He will help her in the kitchen.
(b) He will also wash window.
(c) He will also take care of the furnace.
(d) He will also do lawn work.
6. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
(a) G.L.'s brother
(b) Mr. Dalton
(c) Jack's father
7. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He puts a pillow over her face.
(c) He stuffs the corner of her blanket in her mouth.
(d) He puts his hand over her mouth.
8. When Mrs. Dalton speaks to Bigger in the kitchen, what surprises him about her?
(a) In spite of her blindness she is very independent.
(b) That she can read his mind.
(c) That she can look deep into his soul.
(d) In spite of her blindness she is knows exactly where he is.
9. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
(a) New York City
10. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
(a) He takes the pamphlets Jan gave him and plants them in Mary's room.
(b) He finishes the bottle of rum then goes home to sleep.
(c) He steals money from Mary's purse then goes home to sleep.
(d) He takes Mary's necklace to a pawn shop then goes home with the money.
11. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
(a) That he killed Mary by smothering her.
(b) That he is a very lucky young man.
(c) That Mary wanted him to kiss her.
(d) That Mary had a heart attack.
12. What does Bigger tell his friend Gus he could do if he had the chance?
(a) Earn a lot of money
(b) Fly a plane
(c) Rob a bank
(d) Drive a car
13. What does Mr. Dalton's company own?
(a) The home in the ghetto where Bigger lives.
(b) A limo service.
(c) A construction company.
(d) The oldest bank in the city.
14. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He was in there to take her luggage to the station for her trip to Detroit.
(b) He wasn't taking a chance, he wiped everything clean of his fingerprints.
(c) He was in there when he helped her into bed, but she was okay when he left her.
(d) He was going to make a point of telling everyone in the morning that Mary wanted him to get her luggage, then he'll tell everyone she's not in her room.
15. How does Bigger feel about Mary Dalton?
(a) He hates her instantly.
(b) He feels she is just like her mother.
(c) He has no feelings about her or anyone.
(d) He finds her very attractive.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
2. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
3. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
4. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
5. Tell whom the lone witness to Bigger's crime is?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)