|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He was in there when he helped her into bed, but she was okay when he left her.
(b) He was going to make a point of telling everyone in the morning that Mary wanted him to get her luggage, then he'll tell everyone she's not in her room.
(c) He wasn't taking a chance, he wiped everything clean of his fingerprints.
(d) He was in there to take her luggage to the station for her trip to Detroit.
2. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) In foster care
(b) The gallows
(c) Living on the street
(d) In jail
3. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
(a) He stuffs the corner of her blanket in her mouth.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He puts a pillow over her face.
(d) He puts his hand over her mouth.
4. Where do Mary and Jan sit in the car?
(a) In the back seat.
(b) The sit in the front and ask Bigger to sit in the back.
(c) In the front seat with Bigger.
(d) The don't, they walk.
5. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
(a) Like he should quit the new job.
(b) He likes them immediately.
(c) Like dumping them and picking up his friends.
(d) He feels uneasy and hates them.
6. The story is set in what decade?
7. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary and Jan enter the restaurant?
(a) Gus and Bessie Mears
(b) Jack and Bessie Mears
(c) Jack and G.H.
(d) Gus, Jack and G.H.
8. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) Gets in a fight with Gus then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
(b) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall then stabs Gus.
(c) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessin.
(d) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
9. When Mrs. Dalton speaks to Bigger in the kitchen, what surprises him about her?
(a) In spite of her blindness she is very independent.
(b) That she can look deep into his soul.
(c) That she can read his mind.
(d) In spite of her blindness she is knows exactly where he is.
10. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
(b) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(c) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
(d) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
11. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
(a) It doesn't fit so he sits on the lid until he can close it.
(b) It doesn't fit so he rolls her in a carpet.
(c) It doesn't fit so he has to cut her limbs off.
(d) It doesn't fit so he has to force it inside.
12. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
(d) window washer
13. What does Bigger do after he puts Mary to bed?
(a) He kisses her
(b) He leaves her alone
(c) He puts her into her nightgown
(d) He covers her
14. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He doesn't want to lose his job
(b) He isn't afraid of anything
(c) He is black and she is white
(d) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous
15. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
(a) To a union meeting
(c) To a communist rally
Short Answer Questions
1. How many members are in the Thomas family?
2. How many bedrooms does the Thomas family share?
3. After winning the battle with "the beast" what does Bigger do?
4. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
5. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)