|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
(b) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(c) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
(d) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
2. Who does Bigger see when he, Mary and Jan enter the restaurant?
(a) Jack and Bessie Mears
(b) Gus and Bessie Mears
(c) Jack and G.H.
(d) Gus, Jack and G.H.
3. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
(b) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall then stabs Gus.
(c) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessin.
(d) Gets in a fight with Gus then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
4. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
(a) She smells liquor and thinks her daughter is passed out.
(b) She goes to get her husband.
(c) She is afraid of Bigger.
(d) She thinks her daugher is asleep.
5. The story is set in what decade?
6. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She is very sick.
(b) She doesn't want to go home.
(c) She is too drunk to walk.
(d) She wants to go right to Detroit.
7. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
(a) Sink the trunk and the body in the river.
(b) Ship it in the trunk to Jan
(c) Put it in a dumpster near the train station.
(d) Burn it in the furnace.
8. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
(a) It doesn't fit so he has to force it inside.
(b) It doesn't fit so he rolls her in a carpet.
(c) It doesn't fit so he has to cut her limbs off.
(d) It doesn't fit so he sits on the lid until he can close it.
9. After winning the battle with "the beast" what does Bigger do?
(a) He shows his mother his prize.
(b) He hides the remains.
(c) He sits down to eat dinner.
(d) He frightens his sister, Vera, with the body.
10. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous
(b) He doesn't want to lose his job
(c) He is black and she is white
(d) He isn't afraid of anything
11. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To catch the train
(b) To Mary's house
(c) To catch a bus
(d) Home to her house
12. What doe Bigger and Jack think being "Red" is?
(a) That it is better to be "Red" than dead.
(b) It's a violent race in Russia.
(c) It's American communists.
(d) It's to do with Native Americans.
13. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
(a) Her friend, Joan Erlone
(b) Her professor, Mr. Erlone
(c) Her boyfriend, Jan Erlone
(d) She doesn't ask him to pick up anyone.
14. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
(a) Whether he should be dressed in nicer clothing.
(b) Whether he should go to the front door or the back.
(c) He's concerned he won't be able to do the job.
(d) He's worried they will dislike him because he is black.
15. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
(a) Hopeless and Fun-loving
(b) Angry and Joker
(c) Pessimistic and Angry
(d) Helpless and Strong
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
2. When Mrs. Dalton speaks to Bigger in the kitchen, what surprises him about her?
3. When Peggy gives Bigger dinner, what other job does she tell Bigger he must do?
4. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
5. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)