|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(b) Learning the secret to "getting hold of money."
(c) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
(d) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
2. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
(a) Pessimistic and angry.
(b) Hopeless and fun-loving.
(c) Angry and joking.
(d) Helpless and strong.
3. What is the theme of the movie Bigger and Jack go to see?
(a) The lifestyle of rich, white people.
(b) That white people will suffer in the depression.
(c) That blacks can also be rich.
(d) That whites are all communists.
4. After meeting Mrs. Dalton, what two things does Bigger note about her?
(a) She is an attractive woman with a good education.
(b) She is blind and uses words he doesn't understand.
(c) She is blind and much younger than her husband.
(d) She is afraid to speak up to her husband and seems afraid of him.
5. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
(a) He drags her.
(b) He gets her parents to help.
(c) He gets Peggy to help.
(d) He carries her.
6. What is Vera doing at the YWCA?
(a) Learning to swim.
(b) Taking sewing lessons.
(c) Meeting her boyfriend.
(d) Teaching a class.
7. How does Bigger feel about Mary Dalton?
(a) He feels she is just like her mother.
(b) He hates her instantly.
(c) He finds her very attractive.
(d) He has no feelings about her or anyone.
8. Where do Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) Home to her house.
(b) To catch the train.
(c) To Bigger's house.
(d) To catch a bus.
9. How does Bigger plan to explain his fingerprints in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He was going to make a point of telling everyone in the morning that Mary wanted him to get her luggage, then he'll tell everyone she's not in her room.
(b) He wasn't taking a chance, he wiped everything clean of his fingerprints.
(c) He was in there to take her luggage to the station for her trip to Detroit.
(d) He was in there when he helped her into bed, but she was okay when he left her.
10. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He puts a pillow over her face.
(c) He puts his hand over her mouth.
(d) He stuffs the corner of her blanket in her mouth.
11. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She wants to go right to Detroit.
(b) She is too drunk to walk.
(c) She doesn't want to go home.
(d) She is very sick.
12. What does Bigger decide to do with Mary's body next?
(a) Sink the trunk and the body in the river.
(b) Put it in a dumpster near the train station.
(c) Burn it in the furnace.
(d) Ship it in the trunk to Jan.
13. What kind of relationship does Bigger have with Gus?
(a) They are classmates.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) They are half brothers.
(d) It is a volatile relationship.
14. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
(a) Because he is in a gang.
(b) Because he does not want to continue his education.
(c) Because he doesn't like her family.
(d) Because he has a prison record.
15. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
(b) Window washer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
2. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
3. Who is the owner of the pool hall?
4. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
5. When the young couple treats him as an equal how does if make Bigger feel?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)