|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She is very sick.
(b) She doesn't want to go home.
(c) She is too drunk to walk.
(d) She wants to go right to Detroit.
2. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
(a) He drags her
(b) He gets Peggy to help
(c) He gets her parents to help
(d) He carries her
3. What does Bigger daydream about during the second movie?
(a) Learning how to overcome race barriers.
(b) Learning the secret to "Getting hold of money."
(c) Moving out of the ghetto and into the country.
(d) Learning how to invest money and make it grow.
4. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
(a) That Mary wanted him to kiss her.
(b) That he is a very lucky young man.
(c) That Mary had a heart attack.
(d) That he killed Mary by smothering her.
5. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
(a) Because he is in a gang.
(b) Because he has a prison record.
(c) Because he doesn't like her family.
(d) Because he does not want to continue his education.
6. Where does Bigger take the trunk with the body inside?
(a) Into the garage
(b) Out to the car
(c) To a dumpster
(d) Into the basement
7. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
(b) New York City
8. Where does Mary suggest she, Jan and Bigger go to eat?
(a) Ms. Ernie's Rib Shack
(b) Ernetsine's Chicken Shack
(c) Ernie's Kitchen Shack
(d) Ernie's Chicken and Ribs
9. How many bedrooms does the Thomas family share?
10. What does Bigger tell his friend Gus he could do if he had the chance?
(a) Earn a lot of money
(b) Rob a bank
(c) Fly a plane
(d) Drive a car
11. Where does Bigger say white people live?
(a) On the south side of Chicago
(b) In the ghetto
(c) Inside fancy mansions
(d) Inside him and all other black people
12. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) A rat
(b) A gunman
(c) A rabid cat
(d) Their landlord
13. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
(a) G. H.
(b) Bigger's mom
14. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He puts a pillow over her face.
(c) He stuffs the corner of her blanket in her mouth.
(d) He puts his hand over her mouth.
15. What happens when Bigger puts Mary's body in the trunk?
(a) It doesn't fit so he has to cut her limbs off.
(b) It doesn't fit so he has to force it inside.
(c) It doesn't fit so he rolls her in a carpet.
(d) It doesn't fit so he sits on the lid until he can close it.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
2. What does Mr. Dalton's company own?
3. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
4. Where does Bigger Thomas and his family live?
5. Where does Bigger have a job interview?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)