|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bigger and Mary take Jan after their evening out?
(a) To catch the train
(b) To Mary's house
(c) To catch a bus
(d) Home to her house
2. What is wrong with Mary when Bigger takes her home?
(a) She wants to go right to Detroit.
(b) She is too drunk to walk.
(c) She doesn't want to go home.
(d) She is very sick.
3. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
(a) G. H.
(d) Bigger's mom
4. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
(a) He's worried they will dislike him because he is black.
(b) Whether he should be dressed in nicer clothing.
(c) He's concerned he won't be able to do the job.
(d) Whether he should go to the front door or the back.
5. After they leave the movie and go to the pool hall, what does Bigger do?
(a) He says he wants to break into the Dalton home instead of Blum's Delicatessin.
(b) He picks a fight with the owner of the pool hall then stabs Gus.
(c) Gets in a fight with Gus, then slices the felt top of the pool table with his knife.
(d) Gets in a fight with Gus then breaks a bottle and cuts the felt top of the pool table.
6. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
(a) Living on the street
(b) In foster care
(c) In jail
(d) The gallows
7. Where is Mary Dalton expected to go on the day after Bigger is hired by her father?
(c) To a communist rally
(d) To a union meeting
8. What is different about Bigger and his friend's plan this time?
(a) They will use a gun and the person is white.
(b) They will do it in daylight instead of night.
(c) They will use a car to getaway.
(d) They will wear the jersey of a vival gang.
9. Where does the novel "Native Son" take place?
(a) New York City
10. What happens when Bigger tries to dispose of Mary's body?
(a) He has to steal money from Mary's purse to pay the shipping.
(b) It's too heavy for him to lift it into the dumpster.
(c) It doesn't fit in the furnace.
(d) He has to put holes in the trunk so it will sink in the water.
11. Tell whom the lone witness to Bigger's crime is?
(a) Peggy the housekeeper
(b) A neighbor peeking out their window
(c) The Dalton's white cat.
(d) Mrs. Dalton
12. Why is Bigger afraid of being caught in Mary's bedroom?
(a) He already has a girlfriend who is jealous
(b) He is black and she is white
(c) He doesn't want to lose his job
(d) He isn't afraid of anything
13. Why does Mrs. Dalton express disappoint in Bigger?
(a) Because he is in a gang.
(b) Because he has a prison record.
(c) Because he does not want to continue his education.
(d) Because he doesn't like her family.
14. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
(a) That Mary wanted him to kiss her.
(b) That he killed Mary by smothering her.
(c) That he is a very lucky young man.
(d) That Mary had a heart attack.
15. How does Bigger feel when he enters the Dalton home for the very first time?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
2. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
3. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
4. How does Bigger get Mary to her room without disturbing anyone?
5. What is the job Mr. Dalton is hiring Bigger to do?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)