|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story about the man replacing real stones with fake ones, who sends the man to jail?
2. What is the setting of Chapter 16?
3. In what isolated area is the building in Chapter 16 located?
4. When Carl awakens in the doctor’s office, what is he having tested?
5. Who is described as a con man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Hauser and O’Brien pay a visit to William Lee in the novel?
2. What does the Party Leader discuss in “Ordinary Men and Women”?
3. How is the Old Court House described in “The County Clerk”? Where is it located?
4. What happens after Carl falls asleep in the doctor’s office in “The Examination”?
5. What do the different political groups symbolize in “Islam Incorporated and the Parties of Interzone”?
6. How is the city of Interzone described?
7. How does Dr. Schafer differ from Dr. Benway?
8. What is symbolized by the courthouse and court system in “The County Clerk”?
9. How does William describe junkies destroying themselves physically and emotionally in “Have You Seen Pantopon Rose?”
10. Why is Carl Peterson called for a doctor’s appointment in “The Examination”? Who sees him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the place of the medical establishments in the novel, particularly in the case of Dr. Benway and Dr. Schafer. How do they compare? In what ways are Dr. Benway and Dr. Schafer different in their ideals?
Essay Topic 2
The novel was the first of its kind to use graphic, sexual language. As a reader, what is the effect of the graphic descriptions of sex and violence? How would these factors contribute to the initial public reception of the book in the 1950s?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of “Fats” Terminal. How is the character of “Fats” Terminal described by William? What is the relationship between William, “Fats” Terminal and the Sailor? What kind of drugs are the Sailor and “Fats” Terminal discussing in the reading?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)