|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the boys in the statue about to do?
2. Who argues that nothing Dr. Schafer has done is wrong?
3. In what isolated area is the building in Chapter 16 located?
4. Who does A.J. fund a school for?
5. What is William trying to avoid in his court case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized through William’s description of the Island and the Zone?
2. How is the Exterminator described in “The Exterminator Does a Good Job”?
3. Why do Hauser and O’Brien pay a visit to William Lee in the novel?
4. What leads to William Lee shooting Hauser and O’Brien?
5. How is the Old Court House described in “The County Clerk”? Where is it located?
6. Where does the Sailor take the boy in “The Exterminator Does a Good Job”? Why?
7. What allegorical elements are seen in “Ordinary Men and Women”?
8. Where does William Lee go after shooting Hauser and O’Brien? Why?
9. What do the different political groups symbolize in “Islam Incorporated and the Parties of Interzone”?
10. What different political groups are described in “Islam Incorporated and the Parties of Interzone”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the place of the medical establishments in the novel, particularly in the case of Dr. Benway and Dr. Schafer. How do they compare? In what ways are Dr. Benway and Dr. Schafer different in their ideals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of “Fats” Terminal. How is the character of “Fats” Terminal described by William? What is the relationship between William, “Fats” Terminal and the Sailor? What kind of drugs are the Sailor and “Fats” Terminal discussing in the reading?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Manuel in “Lazarus Go Home.” What history does William share with Manuel? How has Manuel changed from the days when he was still using drugs? How does William feel about those changes?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)