|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A junky, even at the Sailor’s level, runs on what?
2. What kind of cigarettes does O’Brien smoke?
3. What does Dr. Schafer refer to his live patient as?
4. How long is the sentence for “jostling”?
5. Where does William travel to using skid row?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is William Lee unable to get his case heard in “The County Clerk”?
2. How is the Old Court House described in “The County Clerk”? Where is it located?
3. What is William’s case metaphorical of in “The County Clerk”?
4. Mary is both an observer and a participant in “A.J.’s Annual Party,” whereas the male characters are only participants. What does this say about the author’s views of female sexuality?
5. What does the boy ask the Sailor for in “Coke Bugs”? What is the response?
6. What is symbolized by the courthouse and court system in “The County Clerk”?
7. Why is Carl Peterson called for a doctor’s appointment in “The Examination”? Who sees him?
8. Where does William Lee go after shooting Hauser and O’Brien? Why?
9. Who are Aracknid and Andrew Keif?
10. How is A.J. described in “Islam Incorporated and the Parties of Interzone”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine one of the following characters and discuss the character’s background, characteristics, actions, and objectives: 1) William 2) Bradley the Buyer 3) The Rube 4) Jane. How does William feel about each character? [Statement]. [Thought-provoking questions].
Essay Topic 2
The novel was the first of its kind to use graphic, sexual language. As a reader, what is the effect of the graphic descriptions of sex and violence? How would these factors contribute to the initial public reception of the book in the 1950s?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Benway relates to William his work at Freeland and Annexia. What commentary is being made through the example of Freeland? What about Annexiaa?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)