|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following refers to an institution for the preservation or recovery of health, especially for convalescence?
2. Where does Dr. Benway work on his famous project that encourages a police state and arbitrary punishments are given for everyday offenses?
3. Which of the following is typical of The Vigilantes early?
4. Where does William go to meet with Dr. Benway in Chapter 4?
5. Who does The Sailor meet with to arrange the sale of a drug in tubes and eggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by the Professor’s lecture in “Campus of Interzone University”?
2. How are the setting and characters described in the beginning of “Hassan’s Rumpus Room”?
3. How is the plot structure of “And Start West” different from the plot structures of the other vignettes in the novel?
4. Why do the Sailor and “Fats” Terminal meet in “The Black Meat”? What takes place in their meeting?
5. Why is Willy at Hassan’s Hospital in “Hospital”? How is his situation described?
6. How does William describe the Vigilante in terms of his “humanity”?
7. How does William deal with the deaths of his friends in “The Rube”? Why is this significant?
8. How does the narrative style and plot structure change in “Hassan’s Rumpus Room”?
9. Where is William traveling in the beginning of “The Rube”? How does the Rube die?
10. What is symbolized by the disease Bang-utot in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of mind control and its uses. When was mind control first developed? What implications does the author give regarding the mind control of individuals within mainstream society?
Essay Topic 2
William’s character is based upon the real life and experiences of author William S. Burroughs. How does the book mirror William S. Burroughs' real life experiences, including running from the law, traveling to exotic locations, and becoming involved in underground drug and homosexual cultures?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Bang-utot and the themes of sexuality and counterculture in the novel. How are homosexuality and homosexual acts dealt with by the author? What do you think William S. Burroughs’s statements about sexuality imply?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)