|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving general surgery, which of the following did Dr. Benway specialize in?
2. According to William, what is lost during both the using of drugs and the forced rehabilitation of a person?
3. At the orgy, what repeatedly sodomizes a young boy?
4. Which of the following refers to a sensory experience of something that does not exist outside the mind?
5. Which of the following is typical of The Vigilantes early?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William deal with the deaths of his friends in “The Rube”? Why is this significant?
2. What is the significance of Vigilante’s character in the novel? How does the Vigilante change?
3. William looks down on the other passengers of the bus because they do not know anything about the drug subculture but pretend to in “And Start West.” Why is this significant to the novel’s themes?
4. What are the two nonhuman creatures described by the author in “The Black Meat”?
5. How does the narrative style and plot structure change in “Hassan’s Rumpus Room”?
6. What is symbolized by in Annexia and Freeland?
7. Where is William traveling in the beginning of “The Rube”? How does the Rube die?
8. What does the character of Joselito represent symbolically?
9. What is symbolized by Dr. Benway’s operation in “Hospital”?
10. How is Joselito described? Where is he in the beginning of the chapter named for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the style of the narrative and its relationship to the Beat Generation movement. What stylistic elements arose in the writing of the Beat writers? What was the critical and public response to Naked Lunch?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the symbolism and imagery in “The Black Meat.” What does the Black Meat represent? How are the Reptiles and Mugwumps described? What do they symbolize? How do these creatures compare to one another? How do they compare to “people” in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Benway relates to William his work at Freeland and Annexia. What commentary is being made through the example of Freeland? What about Annexiaa?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)