|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Benway use to operate on a woman in Chapter 7?
2. NG Joe had a disorder in which death occurs during what?
3. Where does Dr. Benway work on his famous project that encourages a police state and arbitrary punishments are given for everyday offenses?
4. What do the freed addicts raid once they are freed from the psychiatric hospital?
5. The Vigilante is described as though he were located where in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joselito described? Where is he in the beginning of the chapter named for him?
2. How is the setting of “Campus of Interzone University” described? What is the Professor lecturing about at the beginning of the chapter?
3. What does the character of Joselito represent symbolically?
4. How does the narrative style and plot structure change in “Hassan’s Rumpus Room”?
5. What happens when William Lee meets Miguel in “Lazarus Go Home”?
6. What is symbolized by the disease Bang-utot in the narrative?
7. How is Dr. Benway viewed by those around him?
8. What is symbolized by in Annexia and Freeland?
9. What is symbolized by the Professor’s lecture in “Campus of Interzone University”?
10. Why is Willy at Hassan’s Hospital in “Hospital”? How is his situation described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Benway relates to William his work at Freeland and Annexia. What commentary is being made through the example of Freeland? What about Annexiaa?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Manuel in “Lazarus Go Home.” What history does William share with Manuel? How has Manuel changed from the days when he was still using drugs? How does William feel about those changes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Joselito and the history of tuberculosis and its treatment. What are the principle two options for Joselito’s medical treatment in the narrative? What are the pros and cons of each form of treatment?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)