|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said "when I was a boy . . . I was the hero in comic books and movies. I grew up believing in a dream"?
2. According to Marcus, what does Elvis symbolize?
3. According to Marcus, who is the focus in the song "Sail Away"?
4. What does Sly shout back at the band in "Africa Talks to You 'the Asphalt Jungle'"?
5. What did RCA first present Elvis as?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman" what is a shared culture? Why is the shared culture important?
2. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is important about the Beach Boys? (101)
3. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what racial issues exist with Elvis' music?
4. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," why did Sly Stone create the album Riot ?
5. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what are Elvis Presley's roots?
6. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," how did Newton and Cleaver use the myth of Staggerlee?
7. According to Marcus in "Elvis," in what ways can Elvis be considered a myth?
8. Compare and contrast Sly and Staggerlee as presented in "Sly Stone: The Myth of Staggerlee in the sections: Introduction and "Sly Stone." How are they similar? How are they different?
9. In the section "Sly vs. Superfly," what problems emerge from the black movies being made in the early seventies? How is real life different from the movies?
10. In "Sly Stone," how are the first two albums produced by Sly and the Family Stone similar and different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Randy Newman and Robert Johnson. How are their styles similar and different? How is their subject matter similar? Different? Imagery?
Essay Topic 2
The archetypal theme, desire for freedom, is more than apparent in Harmonica Frank's style and life. Write an essay analyzing how this is an archetypal theme and how Harmonica Frank represents it in his music and life.
Essay Topic 3
Many people believe that Elvis Presley stole his sound from black blues artists but others believe that while the sound is similar it is entirely his own. Marcus claims that because Elvis made the sound his own and changed it, that he does not owe anyone anything. In an essay explore this predicament and decide whether Elvis "Stole the Blues" (152).
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)