|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marcus quote to introduce the chapter "Randy Newman"?
2. What does Marcus point out as valuable in the Beach Boys music?
3. Who wrote "obviously, it is easier to kill than to create" (95)?
4. The Riot album reveals what image that Sly had for himself?
5. Why did political activist, Eldridge Cleaver, not want to go to jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman" what is a shared culture? Why is the shared culture important?
2. What is the epitaph written by John Hurt? Why does Marcus include the Stag-o-lee epitaph at the end of "Sly Stone: The Myth of Staggerlee"?
3. How does Marcus define pop culture optimism and pessimism in "Sly Stone"?
4. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what racial issues exist with Elvis' music?
5. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was ironic about Elvis' natural, spontaneous appearance and sound in his music?
6. Why did Marcus entitle a section "Mystery Train" in "Elvis"? Why is this also the title of the book?
7. Compare and contrast Sly and Staggerlee as presented in "Sly Stone: The Myth of Staggerlee in the sections: Introduction and "Sly Stone." How are they similar? How are they different?
8. In "Elvis," what is Elvis' "Rockabilly Moment" (141)?
9. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is important about the Beach Boys? (101)
10. According to Marcus in the section "Sly Versus Superfly," why does Riot matter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing the images used in one or two of Robert Johnson's songs. What emotions do they convey? What meaning can be derived from his choice of words?
Essay Topic 2
Both Harmonica Frank and Robert Johnson have some claim as the originator of rock 'n' roll. In an essay, compare and contrast the two men including their styles, their audiences, and their legacies. At the end of your essay, identify if Harmonica Frank, Robert Johnson, or both are the true originator of rock 'n' roll. Use details from Mystery Train to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Harmonica Frank once compared himself to Elvis Presley and claimed to be the actual originator of rock 'n' roll. However, Elvis popularized the style which is why he often gets the credit. In an essay compare and contrast the lives, styles, and careers of Harmonica Frank and Elvis Presley.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)