|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marcus, what is the affirmation that sums up The Band?
2. What album does Marcus say belongs to Richard Manuel in "The Band?
3. With whom is Carmen walking in the song "To Kingdom Come"?
4. What book is being discussed on the television show sketch used in the Prologue?
5. According to Marcus in "The Band," what is the storyteller in the second album?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Marcus in "The Band," why is the story of Virgil Cane in "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" appealing to all Americans?
2. In "The Band," what is significant about a group according to Marcus in "Crossing the Border"?
3. Describe the example of an artist that Greil Marcus uses in the prologue. Who is an artist and why? Why are the other people in the example not artists?
4. According to Marcus in "The Band," who is the storyteller in Big Pink and what is his story?
5. According to Marcus in "Harmonica Frank -1951," why would Lyndon Johnson and Harmonica Frank get along?
6. According to Marcus in "The Band," how are Harmonica Frank and Robert Johnson relevant to The Band?
7. In "Robert Johnson -1938," what common theme does Robert Johnson's music have with music by Eric Clapton?
8. In the prologue, what four artists does Marcus say he will write about and why these performers?
9. In "The Band," what is one philosophical assumption that Marcus makes in the section "The Righteous Land"?
10. In "The Band," what happens when the Band plays in San Francisco after releasing their first two albums?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Band used a lot of symbolism in their songs. Focusing on one or two of the songs discussed in Mystery Train, write an essay examining the symbols used in the song. How does this use of symbolism affect the song? How does it affect your understanding of that song?
Essay Topic 2
Harmonica Frank once compared himself to Elvis Presley and claimed to be the actual originator of rock 'n' roll. However, Elvis popularized the style which is why he often gets the credit. In an essay compare and contrast the lives, styles, and careers of Harmonica Frank and Elvis Presley.
Essay Topic 3
Both Harmonica Frank and Robert Johnson have some claim as the originator of rock 'n' roll. In an essay, compare and contrast the two men including their styles, their audiences, and their legacies. At the end of your essay, identify if Harmonica Frank, Robert Johnson, or both are the true originator of rock 'n' roll. Use details from Mystery Train to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)