|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "Even Stranger Blues," to what does Marcus compare Robbie's guitar sound?
2. Four of the members from The Band are from where?
3. Who wrote: "You run without moving from a terror in which you cannot believe"?
4. According to Marcus in "Harmonica Frank -1951," what do both Ahab and Huck have in common?
5. In the Prologue, Marcus says that the music he will discuss dramatizes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Band," why do the other members of the Band become known as Robbie Robertson's foil?
2. In "The Band," what is significant about a group according to Marcus in "Crossing the Border"?
3. What is the relationship between the rock 'n' roll artist and audience according to Greil Marcus in the prologue?
4. In the section entitled "The Weight" in "The Band," what does Dominique Robertson have to say about living in Woodstock? What does this say about community?
5. Marcus analyzes Robert Johnson's "Stones in My Passway" in "Robert Johnson -1938." What is the song about and what are the tools that Johnson uses to create the mood?
6. There are several dualisms that Marcus identifies the Band reflecting on in "The Righteous Land " section of "The Band." What are two of these dualisms and what aspect of America do they reflect?
7. According to Marcus in "Robert Johnson -1938," how are Robert Johnson's songs relevant even today? What artist's keep his spirit and music alive?
8. Why might "The Band" be subtitled "Pilgrim's Progress"?
9. In "The Band," what happens when the Band plays in San Francisco after releasing their first two albums?
10. Compare and contrast Ahab and Huck using Marcus' descriptions from "Harmonica Frank - 1951." How are they different? How are they similar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing the images used in one or two of Robert Johnson's songs. What emotions do they convey? What meaning can be derived from his choice of words?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom is an American theme explored in rock 'n' roll. Choose one artist and using their lyrics identify their concept of freedom (or the lack of it). Does the artist's music reflect the American idea of freedom?
Essay Topic 3
In an essay explore the reasons that Greil Marcus would discuss, in the same section, the dark and funny music of Randy Newman, the light music of the Beach Boys, and the stark imagery of Raymond Chandler. What do they have in common? What makes them different? How does Randy Newman fit into the world of the Beach Boys and of Raymond Chandler?
This section contains 1,441 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)