|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leslie Fielder call the Beatles in "Randy Newman"?
(a) Imaginary Americans.
(d) Pop stars.
2. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is the number one democratic desire?
(a) Family and love.
(b) Wealth and fame.
(d) Revenge and redemption.
3. What is the name of Elvis' mother?
(a) Gladys Presley.
(b) Helen Preston.
(c) Lydia Preston.
(d) Lisa Presley.
4. Who said "This is the mystery of democracy . . . that its richest fruits spring up out of souls which no man has prepared and in circumstances where they are least expected"?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Greil Marcus.
5. Who wrote "obviously, it is easier to kill than to create" (95)?
(a) Sly Stone.
(c) Josef von Sternberg.
(d) Greil Marcus.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," whose song was Randy Newman answering in his version of "Suzanne"?
2. Who claims that "every great artist must create for a great audience"?
3. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is the spirit behind Riot?
4. When referencing the South, who said "it's the only place in the country I've ever been where you can actually drive down the highway at night, and if you listen, you hear music"?
5. According to Marcus, what does Elvis symbolize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the epitaph written by John Hurt? Why does Marcus include the Stag-o-lee epitaph at the end of "Sly Stone: The Myth of Staggerlee"?
2. Why was "Short People" so controversial? What did this mean for Newman?
3. According to Marcus in the section "Sly Versus Superfly," why does Riot matter?
4. Why did Marcus entitle a section "Mystery Train" in "Elvis"? Why is this also the title of the book?
5. In "Randy Newman," does Randy Newman care if he is popular or not?
6. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what racial issues exist with Elvis' music?
7. Compare and contrast Sly and Staggerlee as presented in "Sly Stone: The Myth of Staggerlee in the sections: Introduction and "Sly Stone." How are they similar? How are they different?
8. Why does Marcus compare the Fresh album by Sly to "Nietzsche's belief that he who gazes into the abyss will find the abyss looking back; that he who looks too long at monsters may well become one" (90)?
9. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what are Elvis Presley's roots?
10. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman" what is a shared culture? Why is the shared culture important?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)