|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marcus discuss many movies in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Sly Stone made the soundtracks for them.
(b) They are biographies for Sly Stone.
(c) They are about black people.
(d) They all include the Staggerlee myth.
2. At the time Riot was made, who was making the decisions about what kind of records would be created?
3. What archetype does Newman represent?
(a) Doomed lover.
(b) The American philosopher.
(d) Keeper of American imagination.
4. In the introduction to "Elvis," Marcus claims that Elvis epitomizes what?
(a) The anger of Robert Johnson.
(b) The best of our culture.
(c) The worst of our culture.
(d) The chaos of Harmonica Frank.
5. Who, according to Marcus, gave Staggerlee the cruelest epitaph?
(a) Sly Stone.
(b) Eldridge Cleaver.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) John Hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood in the Riot album?
2. When referencing the South, who said "it's the only place in the country I've ever been where you can actually drive down the highway at night, and if you listen, you hear music"?
3. What song by Randy Newman was a satire on bigotry?
4. Curtis Mayfield's songs in Superfly were meant to be what according to Marcus?
5. What political group does Marcus compare to Sly Stone's music in "Sly Stone"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what racial issues exist with Elvis' music?
2. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was ironic about Elvis' natural, spontaneous appearance and sound in his music?
3. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," why did Sly Stone create the album Riot ?
4. In the section "Sly vs. Superfly," what problems emerge from the black movies being made in the early seventies? How is real life different from the movies?
5. Why does Marcus compare the Fresh album by Sly to "Nietzsche's belief that he who gazes into the abyss will find the abyss looking back; that he who looks too long at monsters may well become one" (90)?
6. What does Marcus mean when he wrote: "Instead of breaking the bartender's glass Stack found himself aiming at the mirror behind the bar, and thus discovered that the target was himself" (78)?
7. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is important about the Beach Boys? (101)
8. Why did Marcus entitle a section "Mystery Train" in "Elvis"? Why is this also the title of the book?
9. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what are Elvis Presley's roots?
10. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman" what is a shared culture? Why is the shared culture important?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)