|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is the spirit behind Riot?
(a) Black self-criticism.
(b) African pride.
(c) White self-criticism.
(d) American pride.
2. What is Sly Stone's given name?
(a) Sylvester Stone.
(b) Sylvester Stewart.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Stanley Stewart.
3. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis to what character envisioned by Ralph Waldo Emerson?
(a) The elusive King of Soul.
(b) The King of Rock 'n' Roll.
(c) The transcendental Sun King.
(d) The ubiquitous King.
4. Marcus believes that "There's a Riot Goin' On" is an example of what?
(b) A folk tale.
5. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is the number one democratic desire?
(a) Revenge and redemption.
(c) Family and love.
(d) Wealth and fame.
Short Answer Questions
1. What archetype does Newman represent?
2. What motto of Hank Williams' made him similar to Robert Johnson according to Marcus?
3. Where are dreams imprisoned according to Marcus in "Sly Stone"?
4. What did Sly Stone call his band?
5. Who wrote "We needed . . . to be violently stirred into life . . . intolerable social constraints grew daily upon us"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is important about the Beach Boys? (101)
2. What type of risk does Randy Newman make in his music? What risk does he avoid?
3. Compare and contrast Sly and Staggerlee as presented in "Sly Stone: The Myth of Staggerlee in the sections: Introduction and "Sly Stone." How are they similar? How are they different?
4. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," how does the music produced by Sly and the Family Stone resemble freedom?
5. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what racial issues exist with Elvis' music?
6. In the section "Sly vs. Superfly," what problems emerge from the black movies being made in the early seventies? How is real life different from the movies?
7. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis Presley to Abraham Lincoln, why?
8. What does Marcus mean when he wrote: "Instead of breaking the bartender's glass Stack found himself aiming at the mirror behind the bar, and thus discovered that the target was himself" (78)?
9. In "Randy Newman," does Randy Newman care if he is popular or not?
10. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what are Elvis Presley's roots?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)