|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of audience does Marcus believe Randy Newman attracts?
2. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Bobby Seale.
(b) James Brown.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Billy Lyon.
3. What is the mood in the Riot album?
4. What is the name of Randy Newman's album that finally gained him a larger audience?
(a) Good Old Boys.
(b) Sail Away.
(c) The Godfather.
(d) Sunny Afternoon.
5. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis to what character envisioned by Ralph Waldo Emerson?
(a) The elusive King of Soul.
(b) The King of Rock 'n' Roll.
(c) The transcendental Sun King.
(d) The ubiquitous King.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did RCA first present Elvis as?
2. Who wrote "There's a mickie in the tastin' of disaster" (90)?
3. What church did Elvis attend as a boy?
4. What did some bullies call Elvis before he was a star and had grown side burns?
5. In what song does Sly Stone mock his own song "Thank you falettinme be mice elf Agin"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Randy Newman," does Randy Newman care if he is popular or not?
2. In "Elvis," what is Elvis' "Rockabilly Moment" (141)?
3. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what racial issues exist with Elvis' music?
4. Compare and contrast Sly and Staggerlee as presented in "Sly Stone: The Myth of Staggerlee in the sections: Introduction and "Sly Stone." How are they similar? How are they different?
5. Describe Randy Newman's style; what does he sound like? What influences are in the music?
6. What does Marcus mean when he wrote: "Instead of breaking the bartender's glass Stack found himself aiming at the mirror behind the bar, and thus discovered that the target was himself" (78)?
7. According to Marcus in the section "Sly Versus Superfly," why does Riot matter?
8. Why was "Short People" so controversial? What did this mean for Newman?
9. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman" what is a shared culture? Why is the shared culture important?
10. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," how does the music produced by Sly and the Family Stone resemble freedom?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)