|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Harmonica Frank -1951," who is the "latest Ahab"?
(a) Harmonica Frank.
(b) Lyndon B. Johnson.
(c) Bob Dylan.
(d) Huck Finn.
2. In "The Band," Marcus tells that groups are images of what?
3. In "The Band," what problem does Marcus reveal about The Band's sense of community?
(a) They lose themselves in each other.
(b) They are isolationists.
(c) They had a false sense of community.
(d) They struggle to live in it.
4. In "The Band," Marcus tells that Robbie Robertson believed the "music" came from where?
(a) The land.
5. What album does Marcus say belongs to Richard Manuel in "The Band?
(a) Share Your Love.
(b) The Weight.
(d) Moondog Matinee.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Robert Johnson -1938," what is the American struggle?
2. With whom did the Band play from 1965 to 1966, helping him and themselves to improve and gain popularity?
3. Who interrupts the fight over the book in the Prologue?
4. What is the name of The Band's second album?
5. What type of music did Robert Johnson sing?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Robert Johnson -1938," how are Robert Johnson's songs relevant even today? What artist's keep his spirit and music alive?
2. Why might "The Band" be subtitled "Pilgrim's Progress"?
3. According to Marcus in "The Band," how are Harmonica Frank and Robert Johnson relevant to The Band?
4. According to Marcus in the introduction to "The Band," what message did The Band send to its audience?
5. According to Marcus in "The Band," who is the storyteller in Big Pink and what is his story?
6. What is the relationship between the rock 'n' roll artist and audience according to Greil Marcus in the prologue?
7. Compare and contrast Ahab and Huck using Marcus' descriptions from "Harmonica Frank - 1951." How are they different? How are they similar?
8. Compare and contrast Harmonica Frank and Robert Johnson in terms of style. Use details from both "Harmonica Frank - 1951" and "Robert Johnson -1938." How are the two styles similar? What about the lyrics are different?
9. What imagery does Robert Johnson often use in his music? What do these images convey?
10. Describe Harmonica Frank. What did he do? What did he look like? What made him unique?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)