|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sang "I tried and I failed / And I feel like going home" (154)?
(a) Carl Perkins.
(b) Hank Williams.
(c) Charlie Rich.
(d) Elvis Presley.
2. Marcus believes that "There's a Riot Goin' On" is an example of what?
(d) A folk tale.
3. The Riot album reveals what image that Sly had for himself?
(b) Cop out.
4. What was Elvis called in the beginning of his career?
(a) Hillbilly Cat.
(b) A good 'ole boy.
(d) The King.
5. In the introduction to "Elvis," Marcus claims that Elvis epitomizes what?
(a) The best of our culture.
(b) The chaos of Harmonica Frank.
(c) The worst of our culture.
(d) The anger of Robert Johnson.
6. Why did people riot at Sly Stone concerts in the 70s?
(a) The police showed up and made racial slurs.
(b) Sly sold out.
(c) Sly showed up late or not at all.
(d) His music provoked angry emotions.
7. According to the myth, who did Staggerlee shoot?
(a) Leroy Brown.
(b) A stranger.
(c) Billy the Lion.
8. At the time Riot was made, who was making the decisions about what kind of records would be created?
9. What literary figure does Marcus allude to in "Sly Stone" when identifying how Sly speaks in the music?
10. Where does the line "They're animals anyway . . . let them lose their souls" come from?
(a) Hit Man.
(b) Cleopatra Jones.
(c) The Godfather.
(d) Trouble Man.
11. What motto of Hank Williams' made him similar to Robert Johnson according to Marcus?
(a) What life doesn't give me, I'll take.
(b) Life goes on.
(c) The end is near.
(d) Nothing really matters.
12. Why was Newman's choice of voice "dangerous"?
(a) Audiences are too critical.
(b) It was confusing.
(c) Audiences are too literal.
(d) It alienated people.
13. What church did Elvis attend as a boy?
(a) Christ the King.
(b) Seven Day Adventist.
(c) Assembly of God.
(d) He did not go to church.
14. Curtis Mayfield's songs in Superfly were meant to be what according to Marcus?
15. What was the original name of the style that Elvis sang?
(b) Rhythm and Blues.
(d) Rock 'n' Roll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus point out as valuable in the Beach Boys music?
2. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was the public unsure about when Elvis' music first came out?
3. Who wrote "There's a mickie in the tastin' of disaster" (90)?
4. According to Marcus in "Elvis," why does Elvis NOT owe blacks anything?
5. What is Sly Stone's given name?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)