|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the introduction to "Elvis," Marcus claims that Elvis epitomizes what?
(a) The worst of our culture.
(b) The best of our culture.
(c) The anger of Robert Johnson.
(d) The chaos of Harmonica Frank.
2. What is the name of Elvis' mother?
(a) Gladys Presley.
(b) Lisa Presley.
(c) Lydia Preston.
(d) Helen Preston.
3. What group did Cleaver and Seale found?
(c) Black Panthers.
4. What was the original name of the style that Elvis sang?
(b) Rhythm and Blues.
(c) Rock 'n' Roll.
5. What song by Randy Newman was a satire on bigotry?
(a) "Davy the Fat Boy."
(c) "Short People."
(d) "God's Song."
6. What was on the cover of Riot?
(b) Sly wearing a zoot suit.
(c) A gun.
(d) An American flag with flowers for stars.
7. Who wrote "Little Wing"?
(a) Bob Dylan.
(b) Sly Stone.
(c) Jimmy Hendrix.
(d) Neil Young.
8. According to the myth, who did Staggerlee shoot?
(a) A stranger.
(c) Billy the Lion.
(d) Leroy Brown.
9. In what song does Sly Stone mock his own song "Thank you falettinme be mice elf Agin"?
(a) "Thank you for talkin' to me Africa."
(b) "Africa Talks to You 'The Asphalt Jungle.'"
(c) "Bonnie and Clyde."
(d) "Blowin Your Mind."
10. According to Marcus, who is the focus in the song "Sail Away"?
(a) The listener.
(b) The Africans.
(c) The confidence man.
(d) The slaves.
11. What did Sly Stone call his band?
(a) The Family.
(b) The Stones.
(c) The Band.
(d) Sly's Guys.
12. What two lines from an Elvis song does Marcus claim are the most perfect lines in blues?
(a) "That's All Right" and "My Baby Left Me" (155).
(b) "I tried and I failed / And I feel like going home" (154).
(c) "If you don't believe I'm leavin' / You can count the days I'm gone" (152).
(d) "I'm gonna quit my crying / I'm gonna leave you alone" (152).
13. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
(a) Randy Newman.
(b) Bob Dylan.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Smokey Robinson.
14. What did Seale attempt to use as a political threat?
(a) Criminal violence.
(c) The judicial system.
(d) Peaceful marches.
15. In what voice does Newman sing his songs?
(a) The character's.
(b) The audience.
(c) The storyteller's.
(d) His own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Newman's choice of voice "dangerous"?
2. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what two words make the song "Poet" poetry?
3. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was the public unsure about when Elvis' music first came out?
4. Marcus believes that "There's a Riot Goin' On" is an example of what?
5. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," whose song was Randy Newman answering in his version of "Suzanne"?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)