|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Marcus quote to introduce the chapter "Randy Newman"?
(a) Randy Newman.
(b) Raymond Chandler.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Robert Johnson.
2. What was on the cover of <i>Riot</i>?
(a) A gun.
(b) An American flag with flowers for stars.
(d) Sly wearing a zoot suit.
3. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
(a) Randy Newman.
(b) Bob Dylan.
(c) Smokey Robinson.
(d) Sly Stone.
4. What controversial topics are addressed in Randy Newman's song "Sail Away"?
(a) Money and race.
(b) Slavery and the American dream.
(c) Power and politics.
(d) Art and realism.
5. What literary term does Marcus identify with the line "When he died, all he left us was alone"?
6. What type of Staggerlee does Sly create in <i>Riot</i>?
(a) The baddest.
(b) One that regrets his crimes.
(c) The cruelest.
(d) One that does not get away.
7. What is Sly Stone's given name?
(a) Stanley Stewart.
(b) Sly Stone.
(c) Sylvester Stone.
(d) Sylvester Stewart.
8. What political group does Marcus compare to Sly Stone's music in "Sly Stone"?
(b) Black Panthers.
9. What motto of Hank Williams' made him similar to Robert Johnson according to Marcus?
(a) Life goes on.
(b) The end is near.
(c) Nothing really matters.
(d) What life doesn't give me, I'll take.
10. What is the name of Elvis' mother?
(a) Gladys Presley.
(b) Lydia Preston.
(c) Lisa Presley.
(d) Helen Preston.
11. In the introduction to "Elvis," Marcus claims that Elvis epitomizes what?
(a) The best of our culture.
(b) The worst of our culture.
(c) The chaos of Harmonica Frank.
(d) The anger of Robert Johnson.
12. Why does Marcus discuss many movies in "Sly Stone"?
(a) They are about black people.
(b) They are biographies for Sly Stone.
(c) Sly Stone made the soundtracks for them.
(d) They all include the Staggerlee myth.
13. Who said "when I was a boy . . . I was the hero in comic books and movies. I grew up believing in a dream"?
(a) Greil Marcus.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Johnny Cash.
(d) Hank Williams.
14. What does Sly shout back at the band in "Africa Talks to You 'the Asphalt Jungle'"?
(c) "I'm a dying."
15. What archetype does Newman represent?
(a) Keeper of American imagination.
(b) Doomed lover.
(d) The American philosopher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did some bullies call Elvis before he was a star and had grown side burns?
2. According to the myth, who did Staggerlee shoot?
3. What car did Elvis both buy and sing about?
4. In "Elvis," what song does Elvis make his own by changing the story from hopelessness to hope?
5. Curtis Mayfield's songs in <i>Superfly</i> were meant to be what according to Marcus?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)