|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was on the cover of Riot?
(a) Sly wearing a zoot suit.
(b) A gun.
(d) An American flag with flowers for stars.
2. Marcus tells that Melville once wrote that a man is only free if he says what?
3. What literary figure does Marcus allude to in "Sly Stone" when identifying how Sly speaks in the music?
4. According to Marcus, what does Elvis symbolize?
(a) The American dream realized.
(c) The beginning of something new.
5. According to Marcus in "Elvis," why does Elvis NOT owe blacks anything?
(a) They did not copyright the style.
(b) They gave the style away freely.
(c) He made the music his own.
(d) The music was a throwaway.
6. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Billy Lyon.
(b) James Brown.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Bobby Seale.
7. Curtis Mayfield's songs in Superfly were meant to be what according to Marcus?
8. What is Sly Stone's given name?
(a) Stanley Stewart.
(b) Sly Stone.
(c) Sylvester Stewart.
(d) Sylvester Stone.
9. Why did people riot at Sly Stone concerts in the 70s?
(a) The police showed up and made racial slurs.
(b) Sly sold out.
(c) His music provoked angry emotions.
(d) Sly showed up late or not at all.
10. Who said "if I couldn't perform I'd give up . . . It's not a question of the money side of it. . . not having that ninety minutes up there anymore. Phew. I don't like to think about it"?
(a) Van Morrison.
(b) Rod Stewart.
(c) Randy Newman.
(d) John Lennon.
11. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was the public unsure about when Elvis' music first came out?
(a) How to listen to him.
(b) If he was country or rock 'n' roll.
(c) What the music was about.
(d) If he was black or white.
12. What did Sly Stone call his band?
(a) Sly's Guys.
(b) The Stones.
(c) The Band.
(d) The Family.
13. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," why does Newman lack a large audience for most of his early carrier?
(a) He does not try.
(b) Critics loved him.
(c) Critics hated him.
(d) He lacks talent.
14. Who said "This is the mystery of democracy . . . that its richest fruits spring up out of souls which no man has prepared and in circumstances where they are least expected"?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) Greil Marcus.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
15. According to Marcus, who is the focus in the song "Sail Away"?
(a) The confidence man.
(b) The slaves.
(c) The Africans.
(d) The listener.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of audience does Marcus believe Randy Newman attracts?
2. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis to what character envisioned by Ralph Waldo Emerson?
3. Why was Newman's choice of voice "dangerous"?
4. What two lines from an Elvis song does Marcus claim are the most perfect lines in blues?
5. At the time Riot was made, who was making the decisions about what kind of records would be created?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)