|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two lines from an Elvis song does Marcus claim are the most perfect lines in blues?
(a) "That's All Right" and "My Baby Left Me" (155).
(b) "I'm gonna quit my crying / I'm gonna leave you alone" (152).
(c) "If you don't believe I'm leavin' / You can count the days I'm gone" (152).
(d) "I tried and I failed / And I feel like going home" (154).
2. What group did Cleaver and Seale found?
(b) Black Panthers.
3. Who said "This is the mystery of democracy . . . that its richest fruits spring up out of souls which no man has prepared and in circumstances where they are least expected"?
(a) Greil Marcus.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Woodrow Wilson.
4. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what two words make the song "Poet" poetry?
(a) Begin and start.
(b) Devil and bullets.
(c) Run and stop.
(d) Grinnin and chasin.
5. In what song does Sly Stone mock his own song "Thank you falettinme be mice elf Agin"?
(a) "Africa Talks to You 'The Asphalt Jungle.'"
(b) "Thank you for talkin' to me Africa."
(c) "Blowin Your Mind."
(d) "Bonnie and Clyde."
6. What motto of Hank Williams' made him similar to Robert Johnson according to Marcus?
(a) The end is near.
(b) What life doesn't give me, I'll take.
(c) Nothing really matters.
(d) Life goes on.
7. Where are dreams imprisoned according to Marcus in "Sly Stone"?
(a) The mind.
(b) The music.
(d) They cannot be imprisoned.
8. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
(a) Sly Stone.
(b) Randy Newman.
(c) Smokey Robinson.
(d) Bob Dylan.
9. Who, according to Marcus, gave Staggerlee the cruelest epitaph?
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) John Hurt.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Eldridge Cleaver.
10. Who wrote "Little Wing"?
(a) Sly Stone.
(b) Jimmy Hendrix.
(c) Bob Dylan.
(d) Neil Young.
11. What does Marcus point out as valuable in the Beach Boys music?
(a) It criticizes mainstream society.
(b) It is truthful.
(c) It is poetic.
(d) It reflects everyday people.
12. What did Sly Stone call his band?
(a) The Stones.
(b) The Band.
(c) The Family.
(d) Sly's Guys.
13. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was the public unsure about when Elvis' music first came out?
(a) How to listen to him.
(b) What the music was about.
(c) If he was country or rock 'n' roll.
(d) If he was black or white.
14. At the time Riot was made, who was making the decisions about what kind of records would be created?
15. What was the original name of the style that Elvis sang?
(b) Rhythm and Blues.
(d) Rock 'n' Roll.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
2. Who wrote "We needed . . . to be violently stirred into life . . . intolerable social constraints grew daily upon us"?
3. Who wrote "obviously, it is easier to kill than to create" (95)?
4. Why did political activist, Eldridge Cleaver, not want to go to jail?
5. What does Leslie Fielder call the Beatles in "Randy Newman"?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)