|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary figure does Marcus allude to in "Sly Stone" when identifying how Sly speaks in the music?
2. What did RCA first present Elvis as?
(a) The boy next door.
(b) A hillbilly.
(c) A country singer.
(d) A folksinger.
3. What does Leslie Fielder call the Beatles in "Randy Newman"?
(b) Pop stars.
(c) Imaginary Americans.
4. To which historical figure does Marcus compare Elvis?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) Stevie Wonder.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
5. What single did Sly release that was the "most optimistic of all"?
(a) "Dance to the Music."
(b) "Everybody is a Star."
6. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," why does Newman lack a large audience for most of his early carrier?
(a) He lacks talent.
(b) Critics loved him.
(c) Critics hated him.
(d) He does not try.
7. Who wrote "Little Wing"?
(a) Neil Young.
(b) Bob Dylan.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Jimmy Hendrix.
8. What church did Elvis attend as a boy?
(a) He did not go to church.
(b) Assembly of God.
(c) Seven Day Adventist.
(d) Christ the King.
9. In what song does Sly Stone mock his own song "Thank you falettinme be mice elf Agin"?
(a) "Bonnie and Clyde."
(b) "Africa Talks to You 'The Asphalt Jungle.'"
(c) "Thank you for talkin' to me Africa."
(d) "Blowin Your Mind."
10. At the time Riot was made, who was making the decisions about what kind of records would be created?
11. Who wrote "There's a mickie in the tastin' of disaster" (90)?
(a) Greil Marcus.
(b) Leslie Fiedler.
(c) Frank Kermode.
(d) Sly Stone.
12. What was a nickname given to Randy Newman by Lenny Waronker?
(a) Sgt. Pepper.
(b) King of Soul.
(c) Howlin Wolf.
(d) King of the Suburban Blues Singers.
13. Where are dreams imprisoned according to Marcus in "Sly Stone"?
(a) They cannot be imprisoned.
(b) The music.
(c) The mind.
14. Who wrote "We needed . . . to be violently stirred into life . . . intolerable social constraints grew daily upon us"?
(a) Sly Stone.
(b) Leslie Fiedler.
(c) Greil Marcus.
(d) Frank Kermode.
15. In "Elvis," what song does Marcus use to illustrate the work Elvis puts into his music?
(a) "Milkcow Blues Boogie."
(b) "Good Rockin."
(c) "Hound Dog."
(d) "Boy Who Stole the Blues."
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
2. Who sang "I tried and I failed / And I feel like going home" (154)?
3. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
4. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," whose song was Randy Newman answering in his version of "Suzanne"?
5. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is the number one democratic desire?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)