|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said "when I was a boy . . . I was the hero in comic books and movies. I grew up believing in a dream"?
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) Johnny Cash.
(c) Greil Marcus.
(d) Hank Williams.
2. Why was Newman's choice of voice "dangerous"?
(a) Audiences are too critical.
(b) Audiences are too literal.
(c) It was confusing.
(d) It alienated people.
3. According to Marcus in "Elvis," why does Elvis NOT owe blacks anything?
(a) The music was a throwaway.
(b) They gave the style away freely.
(c) They did not copyright the style.
(d) He made the music his own.
4. How many people came to see Elvis open a shopping center after he produced only one record?
5. Who wrote "We needed . . . to be violently stirred into life . . . intolerable social constraints grew daily upon us"?
(a) Frank Kermode.
(b) Greil Marcus.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Leslie Fiedler.
6. Who wrote "obviously, it is easier to kill than to create" (95)?
(b) Josef von Sternberg.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Greil Marcus.
7. Who sang "I tried and I failed / And I feel like going home" (154)?
(a) Hank Williams.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Charlie Rich.
(d) Carl Perkins.
8. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Billy Lyon.
(b) James Brown.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Bobby Seale.
9. What was on the cover of Riot?
(a) A gun.
(b) An American flag with flowers for stars.
(c) Sly wearing a zoot suit.
10. What single did Sly release that was the "most optimistic of all"?
(b) "Dance to the Music."
(d) "Everybody is a Star."
11. What did Sly Stone call his band?
(a) Sly's Guys.
(b) The Stones.
(c) The Family.
(d) The Band.
12. In what song does Sly Stone mock his own song "Thank you falettinme be mice elf Agin"?
(a) "Bonnie and Clyde."
(b) "Africa Talks to You 'The Asphalt Jungle.'"
(c) "Blowin Your Mind."
(d) "Thank you for talkin' to me Africa."
13. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what two words make the song "Poet" poetry?
(a) Devil and bullets.
(b) Grinnin and chasin.
(c) Begin and start.
(d) Run and stop.
14. What controversial topics are addressed in Randy Newman's song "Sail Away"?
(a) Money and race.
(b) Art and realism.
(c) Power and politics.
(d) Slavery and the American dream.
15. In the introduction to "Elvis," Marcus claims that Elvis epitomizes what?
(a) The best of our culture.
(b) The anger of Robert Johnson.
(c) The chaos of Harmonica Frank.
(d) The worst of our culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marcus believes that "There's a Riot Goin' On" is an example of what?
2. Who claims that "every great artist must create for a great audience"?
3. What did Seale attempt to use as a political threat?
4. Who wrote "There's a mickie in the tastin' of disaster" (90)?
5. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is pop culture by definition?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)