|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marcus tells that Melville once wrote that a man is only free if he says what?
2. What single did Sly release that was the "most optimistic of all"?
(a) "Dance to the Music."
(d) "Everybody is a Star."
3. What two lines from an Elvis song does Marcus claim are the most perfect lines in blues?
(a) "If you don't believe I'm leavin' / You can count the days I'm gone" (152).
(b) "I tried and I failed / And I feel like going home" (154).
(c) "I'm gonna quit my crying / I'm gonna leave you alone" (152).
(d) "That's All Right" and "My Baby Left Me" (155).
4. According to Marcus, who is the focus in the song "Sail Away"?
(a) The Africans.
(b) The listener.
(c) The confidence man.
(d) The slaves.
5. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is the number one democratic desire?
(b) Revenge and redemption.
(c) Wealth and fame.
(d) Family and love.
6. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis to what character envisioned by Ralph Waldo Emerson?
(a) The ubiquitous King.
(b) The elusive King of Soul.
(c) The King of Rock 'n' Roll.
(d) The transcendental Sun King.
7. In what song does Sly Stone mock his own song "Thank you falettinme be mice elf Agin"?
(a) "Blowin Your Mind."
(b) "Africa Talks to You 'The Asphalt Jungle.'"
(c) "Thank you for talkin' to me Africa."
(d) "Bonnie and Clyde."
8. Why was Newman's choice of voice "dangerous"?
(a) It was confusing.
(b) It alienated people.
(c) Audiences are too literal.
(d) Audiences are too critical.
9. What controversial topics are addressed in Randy Newman's song "Sail Away"?
(a) Power and politics.
(b) Money and race.
(c) Slavery and the American dream.
(d) Art and realism.
10. What does Sly shout back at the band in "Africa Talks to You 'the Asphalt Jungle'"?
(d) "I'm a dying."
11. Who wrote "Hound Dog"?
(a) Carl Perkins.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.
(d) Robert Johnson.
12. Where does the line "They're animals anyway . . . let them lose their souls" come from?
(a) Trouble Man.
(b) Cleopatra Jones.
(c) The Godfather.
(d) Hit Man.
13. What does Marcus point out as valuable in the Beach Boys music?
(a) It criticizes mainstream society.
(b) It reflects everyday people.
(c) It is truthful.
(d) It is poetic.
14. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Bobby Seale.
(b) James Brown.
(c) Billy Lyon.
(d) Sly Stone.
15. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
(a) Smokey Robinson.
(b) Sly Stone.
(c) Bob Dylan.
(d) Randy Newman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sly Stone's given name?
2. What group did Cleaver and Seale found?
3. Who wrote "There's a mickie in the tastin' of disaster" (90)?
4. What did some bullies call Elvis before he was a star and had grown side burns?
5. What church did Elvis attend as a boy?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)