|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marcus believes that "There's a Riot Goin' On" is an example of what?
(d) A folk tale.
2. What did RCA first present Elvis as?
(a) The boy next door.
(b) A country singer.
(c) A folksinger.
(d) A hillbilly.
3. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was the public unsure about when Elvis' music first came out?
(a) If he was country or rock 'n' roll.
(b) How to listen to him.
(c) What the music was about.
(d) If he was black or white.
4. What is the name of Elvis' mother?
(a) Gladys Presley.
(b) Lydia Preston.
(c) Lisa Presley.
(d) Helen Preston.
5. What did Seale attempt to use as a political threat?
(a) Criminal violence.
(b) Peaceful marches.
(d) The judicial system.
6. According to the myth, who did Staggerlee shoot?
(b) Billy the Lion.
(c) A stranger.
(d) Leroy Brown.
7. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," whose song was Randy Newman answering in his version of "Suzanne"?
(a) Robert Johnson.
(b) The Beatles.
(c) The Beach Boys.
(d) Leonard Cohen.
8. Where are dreams imprisoned according to Marcus in "Sly Stone"?
(a) The mind.
(b) The music.
(d) They cannot be imprisoned.
9. What was on the cover of <i>Riot</i>?
(b) Sly wearing a zoot suit.
(c) A gun.
(d) An American flag with flowers for stars.
10. According to Marcus, what did Staggerlee represent to the black community?
11. What does Sly shout back at the band in "Africa Talks to You 'the Asphalt Jungle'"?
(d) "I'm a dying."
12. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is pop culture by definition?
13. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis to what character envisioned by Ralph Waldo Emerson?
(a) The elusive King of Soul.
(b) The King of Rock 'n' Roll.
(c) The ubiquitous King.
(d) The transcendental Sun King.
14. When referencing the South, who said "it's the only place in the country I've ever been where you can actually drive down the highway at night, and if you listen, you hear music"?
(a) Randy Newman.
(b) Robbie Robertson.
(c) Greil Marcus.
(d) Elvis Presley.
15. Why does Marcus discuss many movies in "Sly Stone"?
(a) They all include the Staggerlee myth.
(b) They are biographies for Sly Stone.
(c) Sly Stone made the soundtracks for them.
(d) They are about black people.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is the number one democratic desire?
2. What two lines from an Elvis song does Marcus claim are the most perfect lines in blues?
3. Who wrote "Hound Dog"?
4. What literary term does Marcus identify with the line "When he died, all he left us was alone"?
5. Where does the line "They're animals anyway . . . let them lose their souls" come from?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)