|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary figure does Marcus allude to in "Sly Stone" when identifying how Sly speaks in the music?
2. In "Elvis," what song does Elvis make his own by changing the story from hopelessness to hope?
(a) "Pink Cadillac."
(b) "Mystery Train."
(c) "Hound Dog. "
(d) "Baby Let's Play House."
3. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is pop culture by definition?
4. According to Marcus in "Elvis," why does Elvis NOT owe blacks anything?
(a) They gave the style away freely.
(b) The music was a throwaway.
(c) He made the music his own.
(d) They did not copyright the style.
5. What was Elvis called in the beginning of his career?
(a) Hillbilly Cat.
(b) A good 'ole boy.
(d) The King.
6. What political group does Marcus compare to Sly Stone's music in "Sly Stone"?
(d) Black Panthers.
7. In what song does Sly Stone mock his own song "Thank you falettinme be mice elf Agin"?
(a) "Africa Talks to You 'The Asphalt Jungle.'"
(b) "Blowin Your Mind."
(c) "Thank you for talkin' to me Africa."
(d) "Bonnie and Clyde."
8. Where does the line "They're animals anyway . . . let them lose their souls" come from?
(a) <i>Cleopatra Jones</i>.
(b) <i>Hit Man</i>.
(c) <i>Trouble Man</i>.
(d) <i>The Godfather</i>.
9. What did RCA first present Elvis as?
(a) A folksinger.
(b) A hillbilly.
(c) A country singer.
(d) The boy next door.
10. What did Sly Stone call his band?
(a) Sly's Guys.
(b) The Family.
(c) The Stones.
(d) The Band.
11. In the introduction to "Elvis," Marcus claims that Elvis epitomizes what?
(a) The best of our culture.
(b) The chaos of Harmonica Frank.
(c) The anger of Robert Johnson.
(d) The worst of our culture.
12. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is the spirit behind <i>Riot</i>?
(a) African pride.
(b) White self-criticism.
(c) Black self-criticism.
(d) American pride.
13. In "Elvis," what song does Marcus use to illustrate the work Elvis puts into his music?
(a) "Milkcow Blues Boogie."
(b) "Boy Who Stole the Blues."
(c) "Good Rockin."
(d) "Hound Dog."
14. What did some bullies call Elvis before he was a star and had grown side burns?
15. To which historical figure does Marcus compare Elvis?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) Stevie Wonder.
(d) Richard Nixon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sang "I tried and I failed / And I feel like going home" (154)?
2. Who wrote "We needed . . . to be violently stirred into life . . . intolerable social constraints grew daily upon us"?
3. Why did people riot at Sly Stone concerts in the 70s?
4. What type of Staggerlee does Sly create in <i>Riot</i>?
5. What was on the cover of <i>Riot</i>?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)