|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is the spirit behind Riot?
(a) African pride.
(b) White self-criticism.
(c) American pride.
(d) Black self-criticism.
2. The Riot album reveals what image that Sly had for himself?
(c) Cop out.
3. What was Elvis called in the beginning of his career?
(a) Hillbilly Cat.
(b) A good 'ole boy.
(c) The King.
4. What political group does Marcus compare to Sly Stone's music in "Sly Stone"?
(d) Black Panthers.
5. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Billy Lyon.
(b) Bobby Seale.
(c) James Brown.
(d) Sly Stone.
6. What two lines from an Elvis song does Marcus claim are the most perfect lines in blues?
(a) "I'm gonna quit my crying / I'm gonna leave you alone" (152).
(b) "I tried and I failed / And I feel like going home" (154).
(c) "If you don't believe I'm leavin' / You can count the days I'm gone" (152).
(d) "That's All Right" and "My Baby Left Me" (155).
7. Why did people riot at Sly Stone concerts in the 70s?
(a) His music provoked angry emotions.
(b) Sly sold out.
(c) Sly showed up late or not at all.
(d) The police showed up and made racial slurs.
8. In what voice does Newman sing his songs?
(a) The audience.
(b) His own.
(c) The character's.
(d) The storyteller's.
9. Why does Marcus discuss many movies in "Sly Stone"?
(a) They all include the Staggerlee myth.
(b) They are biographies for Sly Stone.
(c) Sly Stone made the soundtracks for them.
(d) They are about black people.
10. What is the mood in the Riot album?
11. According to Marcus in "Elvis," why does Elvis NOT owe blacks anything?
(a) They gave the style away freely.
(b) They did not copyright the style.
(c) He made the music his own.
(d) The music was a throwaway.
12. Who wrote "There's a mickie in the tastin' of disaster" (90)?
(a) Greil Marcus.
(b) Leslie Fiedler.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Frank Kermode.
13. What was the original name of the style that Elvis sang?
(b) Rock 'n' Roll.
(c) Rhythm and Blues.
14. Who said "when I was a boy . . . I was the hero in comic books and movies. I grew up believing in a dream"?
(a) Hank Williams.
(b) Johnny Cash.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Greil Marcus.
15. According to Marcus, what did Staggerlee represent to the black community?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of audience does Marcus believe Randy Newman attracts?
2. What does Sly shout back at the band in "Africa Talks to You 'the Asphalt Jungle'"?
3. What does Leslie Fielder call the Beatles in "Randy Newman"?
4. Who wrote "Little Wing"?
5. To which historical figure does Marcus compare Elvis?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)