|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the original name of the style that Elvis sang?
(a) Rhythm and Blues.
(c) Rock 'n' Roll.
2. Who wrote "We needed . . . to be violently stirred into life . . . intolerable social constraints grew daily upon us"?
(a) Leslie Fiedler.
(b) Frank Kermode.
(c) Greil Marcus.
(d) Sly Stone.
3. What is the mood in the Riot album?
4. What political group does Marcus compare to Sly Stone's music in "Sly Stone"?
(d) Black Panthers.
5. The Riot album reveals what image that Sly had for himself?
(b) Cop out.
6. What was Elvis called in the beginning of his career?
(b) A good 'ole boy.
(c) The King.
(d) Hillbilly Cat.
7. What did RCA first present Elvis as?
(a) A hillbilly.
(b) A country singer.
(c) A folksinger.
(d) The boy next door.
8. Who claims that "every great artist must create for a great audience"?
(a) Greil Marcus.
(b) Bob Christgau.
(c) Randy Newman.
(d) The Beatles.
9. What literary term does Marcus identify with the line "When he died, all he left us was alone"?
10. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was the public unsure about when Elvis' music first came out?
(a) If he was country or rock 'n' roll.
(b) What the music was about.
(c) How to listen to him.
(d) If he was black or white.
11. What church did Elvis attend as a boy?
(a) Christ the King.
(b) He did not go to church.
(c) Assembly of God.
(d) Seven Day Adventist.
12. How many people came to see Elvis open a shopping center after he produced only one record?
13. What does Sly shout back at the band in "Africa Talks to You 'the Asphalt Jungle'"?
(a) "I'm a dying."
14. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what two words make the song "Poet" poetry?
(a) Run and stop.
(b) Grinnin and chasin.
(c) Begin and start.
(d) Devil and bullets.
15. In the introduction to "Elvis," Marcus claims that Elvis epitomizes what?
(a) The anger of Robert Johnson.
(b) The worst of our culture.
(c) The best of our culture.
(d) The chaos of Harmonica Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marcus tells that Melville once wrote that a man is only free if he says what?
2. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis to what character envisioned by Ralph Waldo Emerson?
3. What motto of Hank Williams' made him similar to Robert Johnson according to Marcus?
4. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is pop culture by definition?
5. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," what is the number one democratic desire?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)