|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary figure does Marcus allude to in "Sly Stone" when identifying how Sly speaks in the music?
2. What controversial topics are addressed in Randy Newman's song "Sail Away"?
(a) Slavery and the American dream.
(b) Money and race.
(c) Power and politics.
(d) Art and realism.
3. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is the spirit behind Riot?
(a) Black self-criticism.
(b) African pride.
(c) White self-criticism.
(d) American pride.
4. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is pop culture by definition?
5. Who claims that "every great artist must create for a great audience"?
(a) Randy Newman.
(b) Greil Marcus.
(c) Bob Christgau.
(d) The Beatles.
6. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what two words make the song "Poet" poetry?
(a) Grinnin and chasin.
(b) Begin and start.
(c) Run and stop.
(d) Devil and bullets.
7. Why does Marcus discuss many movies in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Sly Stone made the soundtracks for them.
(b) They are biographies for Sly Stone.
(c) They all include the Staggerlee myth.
(d) They are about black people.
8. According to Marcus, who is the focus in the song "Sail Away"?
(a) The confidence man.
(b) The Africans.
(c) The listener.
(d) The slaves.
9. When referencing the South, who said "it's the only place in the country I've ever been where you can actually drive down the highway at night, and if you listen, you hear music"?
(a) Greil Marcus.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Robbie Robertson.
(d) Randy Newman.
10. Why did political activist, Eldridge Cleaver, not want to go to jail?
(a) He loved freedom too much.
(b) He was afraid to be the next Billy Lyons.
(c) He was innocent.
(d) He did not want to lose his friends.
11. According to the myth, who did Staggerlee shoot?
(a) A stranger.
(b) Billy the Lion.
(d) Leroy Brown.
12. Who said "This is the mystery of democracy . . . that its richest fruits spring up out of souls which no man has prepared and in circumstances where they are least expected"?
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Greil Marcus.
13. Who wrote "There's a mickie in the tastin' of disaster" (90)?
(a) Frank Kermode.
(b) Sly Stone.
(c) Leslie Fiedler.
(d) Greil Marcus.
14. What was a nickname given to Randy Newman by Lenny Waronker?
(a) King of Soul.
(b) Howlin Wolf.
(c) King of the Suburban Blues Singers.
(d) Sgt. Pepper.
15. Who wrote "Papa Was a Rolling Stone?'
(a) Jimmy Hendrix.
(b) The Temptations.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Bob Dylan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sly Stone call his band?
2. What did Seale attempt to use as a political threat?
3. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis to what character envisioned by Ralph Waldo Emerson?
4. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was the public unsure about when Elvis' music first came out?
5. What was the original name of the style that Elvis sang?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)