|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are dreams imprisoned according to Marcus in "Sly Stone"?
(a) They cannot be imprisoned.
(c) The music.
(d) The mind.
2. What is the mood in the Riot album?
3. What is the name of Elvis' mother?
(a) Helen Preston.
(b) Lydia Preston.
(c) Gladys Presley.
(d) Lisa Presley.
4. According to Marcus, who is the focus in the song "Sail Away"?
(a) The Africans.
(b) The listener.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The confidence man.
5. What political group does Marcus compare to Sly Stone's music in "Sly Stone"?
(c) Black Panthers.
6. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
(a) Smokey Robinson.
(b) Randy Newman.
(c) Bob Dylan.
(d) Sly Stone.
7. What Randy Newman song does Marcus claim suggests that the we are being laughed at and life is a joke?
(a) "God's Song."
(b) "Burn On."
(d) "Short People."
8. Who wrote "Hound Dog"?
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) Robert Johnson.
(c) Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.
(d) Carl Perkins.
9. How many people came to see Elvis open a shopping center after he produced only one record?
10. What church did Elvis attend as a boy?
(a) Seven Day Adventist.
(b) Assembly of God.
(c) He did not go to church.
(d) Christ the King.
11. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Billy Lyon.
(b) James Brown.
(c) Bobby Seale.
(d) Sly Stone.
12. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is pop culture by definition?
13. Who said "This is the mystery of democracy . . . that its richest fruits spring up out of souls which no man has prepared and in circumstances where they are least expected"?
(a) Greil Marcus.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Woodrow Wilson.
14. What was the original name of the style that Elvis sang?
(a) Rhythm and Blues.
(d) Rock 'n' Roll.
15. In what voice does Newman sing his songs?
(a) The audience.
(b) His own.
(c) The storyteller's.
(d) The character's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis to what character envisioned by Ralph Waldo Emerson?
2. What song by Randy Newman was a satire on bigotry?
3. What group did Cleaver and Seale found?
4. Who claims that "every great artist must create for a great audience"?
5. In "Elvis," what song does Marcus use to illustrate the work Elvis puts into his music?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)