|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people came to see Elvis open a shopping center after he produced only one record?
2. What two lines from an Elvis song does Marcus claim are the most perfect lines in blues?
(a) "That's All Right" and "My Baby Left Me" (155).
(b) "If you don't believe I'm leavin' / You can count the days I'm gone" (152).
(c) "I'm gonna quit my crying / I'm gonna leave you alone" (152).
(d) "I tried and I failed / And I feel like going home" (154).
3. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," why does Newman lack a large audience for most of his early carrier?
(a) He does not try.
(b) Critics hated him.
(c) Critics loved him.
(d) He lacks talent.
4. Who wrote "There's a mickie in the tastin' of disaster" (90)?
(a) Greil Marcus.
(b) Frank Kermode.
(c) Leslie Fiedler.
(d) Sly Stone.
5. What did some bullies call Elvis before he was a star and had grown side burns?
6. Who wrote "Little Wing"?
(a) Sly Stone.
(b) Jimmy Hendrix.
(c) Neil Young.
(d) Bob Dylan.
7. According to Marcus, what does Elvis symbolize?
(c) The beginning of something new.
(d) The American dream realized.
8. What does Leslie Fielder call the Beatles in "Randy Newman"?
(b) Imaginary Americans.
(d) Pop stars.
9. According to Marcus, who is the focus in the song "Sail Away"?
(a) The Africans.
(b) The listener.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The confidence man.
10. Who does Marcus quote to introduce the chapter "Randy Newman"?
(a) Sly Stone.
(b) Robert Johnson.
(c) Raymond Chandler.
(d) Randy Newman.
11. What song by Randy Newman was a satire on bigotry?
(a) "God's Song."
(b) "Davy the Fat Boy."
(d) "Short People."
12. What was Elvis called in the beginning of his career?
(a) A good 'ole boy.
(c) Hillbilly Cat.
(d) The King.
13. In what voice does Newman sing his songs?
(a) The storyteller's.
(b) His own.
(c) The audience.
(d) The character's.
14. Who, according to Marcus, gave Staggerlee the cruelest epitaph?
(a) Eldridge Cleaver.
(b) John Hurt.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Elvis Presley.
15. Why did people riot at Sly Stone concerts in the 70s?
(a) Sly showed up late or not at all.
(b) His music provoked angry emotions.
(c) The police showed up and made racial slurs.
(d) Sly sold out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Randy Newman's album that finally gained him a larger audience?
2. Marcus believes that "There's a Riot Goin' On" is an example of what?
3. What is the name of Elvis' mother?
4. According to the myth, who did Staggerlee shoot?
5. Who said "This is the mystery of democracy . . . that its richest fruits spring up out of souls which no man has prepared and in circumstances where they are least expected"?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)