|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leslie Fielder call the Beatles in "Randy Newman"?
(b) Pop stars.
(c) Imaginary Americans.
2. What was a nickname given to Randy Newman by Lenny Waronker?
(a) King of the Suburban Blues Singers.
(b) Sgt. Pepper.
(c) King of Soul.
(d) Howlin Wolf.
3. What group did Cleaver and Seale found?
(d) Black Panthers.
4. Who said "when I was a boy . . . I was the hero in comic books and movies. I grew up believing in a dream"?
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) Hank Williams.
(c) Greil Marcus.
(d) Johnny Cash.
5. Why does Marcus discuss many movies in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Sly Stone made the soundtracks for them.
(b) They all include the Staggerlee myth.
(c) They are biographies for Sly Stone.
(d) They are about black people.
6. What did Seale attempt to use as a political threat?
(a) Criminal violence.
(b) The judicial system.
(d) Peaceful marches.
7. What did Sly Stone call his band?
(a) The Stones.
(b) The Family.
(c) Sly's Guys.
(d) The Band.
8. According to Marcus in "Elvis," what was the public unsure about when Elvis' music first came out?
(a) If he was country or rock 'n' roll.
(b) How to listen to him.
(c) If he was black or white.
(d) What the music was about.
9. Who wrote "Little Wing"?
(a) Neil Young.
(b) Sly Stone.
(c) Bob Dylan.
(d) Jimmy Hendrix.
10. Who wrote "Hound Dog"?
(a) Carl Perkins.
(b) Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Robert Johnson.
11. What type of audience does Marcus believe Randy Newman attracts?
12. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
(a) Bob Dylan.
(b) Randy Newman.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Smokey Robinson.
13. What does Marcus point out as valuable in the Beach Boys music?
(a) It is truthful.
(b) It criticizes mainstream society.
(c) It reflects everyday people.
(d) It is poetic.
14. Who said "if I couldn't perform I'd give up . . . It's not a question of the money side of it. . . not having that ninety minutes up there anymore. Phew. I don't like to think about it"?
(a) Van Morrison.
(b) Randy Newman.
(c) Rod Stewart.
(d) John Lennon.
15. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is pop culture by definition?
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary term does Marcus identify with the line "When he died, all he left us was alone"?
2. Why did political activist, Eldridge Cleaver, not want to go to jail?
3. In "Elvis," what song does Marcus use to illustrate the work Elvis puts into his music?
4. What does Sly shout back at the band in "Africa Talks to You 'the Asphalt Jungle'"?
5. How many people came to see Elvis open a shopping center after he produced only one record?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)