|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," why does Newman lack a large audience for most of his early carrier?
(a) Critics hated him.
(b) He lacks talent.
(c) He does not try.
(d) Critics loved him.
2. What was a nickname given to Randy Newman by Lenny Waronker?
(a) King of Soul.
(b) Sgt. Pepper.
(c) Howlin Wolf.
(d) King of the Suburban Blues Singers.
3. Curtis Mayfield's songs in Superfly were meant to be what according to Marcus?
4. Who wrote "There's a mickie in the tastin' of disaster" (90)?
(a) Leslie Fiedler.
(b) Sly Stone.
(c) Frank Kermode.
(d) Greil Marcus.
5. What type of audience does Marcus believe Randy Newman attracts?
6. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
(a) James Brown.
(b) Bobby Seale.
(c) Billy Lyon.
(d) Sly Stone.
7. At the time Riot was made, who was making the decisions about what kind of records would be created?
8. According to Marcus in "Sly Stone," what is pop culture by definition?
9. What literary figure does Marcus allude to in "Sly Stone" when identifying how Sly speaks in the music?
10. Marcus tells that Melville once wrote that a man is only free if he says what?
11. What song by Randy Newman was a satire on bigotry?
(b) "Davy the Fat Boy."
(c) "Short People."
(d) "God's Song."
12. Where are dreams imprisoned according to Marcus in "Sly Stone"?
(b) They cannot be imprisoned.
(c) The mind.
(d) The music.
13. What was Elvis called in the beginning of his career?
(b) Hillbilly Cat.
(c) A good 'ole boy.
(d) The King.
14. Why was Newman's choice of voice "dangerous"?
(a) It was confusing.
(b) Audiences are too critical.
(c) Audiences are too literal.
(d) It alienated people.
15. According to Marcus in "Elvis," why does Elvis NOT owe blacks anything?
(a) They gave the style away freely.
(b) The music was a throwaway.
(c) They did not copyright the style.
(d) He made the music his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Seale attempt to use as a political threat?
2. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
3. What Randy Newman song does Marcus claim suggests that the we are being laughed at and life is a joke?
4. According to Marcus, what did Staggerlee represent to the black community?
5. Who said "if I couldn't perform I'd give up . . . It's not a question of the money side of it. . . not having that ninety minutes up there anymore. Phew. I don't like to think about it"?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)